Posted at 2:01 PM ET, 12/ 2/2010

Ma'ake Kemoeatu wins courage award

By Barry Svrluga

On the day in the summer of 2009 that Ma'ake Kemoeatu tore his Achilles' tendon, his football career seemed tenuous at best.

"The trainers said, 'You're done,'" Kemoeatu said. "I was like, 'I'm done? I'm done for the day? Tape me back up and put me back out there.' They said, 'No, you're done for the season.' I'm like, 'Wow. I'm done for the season. What's wrong? ...

"It did cross my mind. I was like, 'football could be over for me'. It was eight years. It could be over. Football's not forever. It could be over at any time."

This year, Kemoeatu's comeback with the Redskins has consisted of playing in every game as the nose tackle in the team's new 3-4 defensive alignment. Thursday, the team announced that the former Carolina Panther was voted the recipient of the Ed Block Courage Award, an honor given annually to a player on each NFL team who displays courage in the face of adversity. The award is voted on by the players.

"I think the most gratifying [thing] about it is you have the support of your teammates," Kemoeatu said. "Being it's my first year here, of course my teammates have to get to know me first. I got here in April, just trying to recover from the torn Achilles and making a comeback, and teammates respect that."

Kemoeatu has been in on 24 tackles this season after earning the starting nose tackle job.

"I've pretty much started feeling better maybe halfway through the season, I guess because I'm missing out a year," Kemoeatu said. "Of course with my size, I'm at 350 now. There was a point a year ago I was about 400 pounds, and trying to make a comeback from that is really tough. But we made it happen, and the guys voted for me, and I appreciate the guys giving me the vote."

By Barry Svrluga  | December 2, 2010; 2:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Redskins tight ends coach Jon Embree offered head coaching job at Colorado
Next: Shanahan would allow Jon Embree to start right away at Colorado

Comments

Good job Kemo!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Today's best headline...

Lebron flew South while his momma rode West.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Ma'ake Kemoeatu wins courage award
By Barry Svrluga

Courage Award? Hmm, sounds like an eating contest.....Great Job!!!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Today's best headline....

Lebron flew South while his momma rode West.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 2:12 PM |

That was a tweet from like 2 days ago.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Sure, you could call him a NERD, but to me he's a NARCISSISTIC ASS!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 2:12 PM

Right...but what would this joint be like without him? Oh yeah...wonderful!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Come on Play, we need NERDS like beep, P_F, and pabrainiac, otherwise it would be boring on here.

Here's a good analogy: If it weren't for sh*t all the sanitation people would be outta business! We need them, like they need us, cause you know they've gotta have SOMETHING or SOMEONE to complain about!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Well deserved. Congrats Kemo. As for next year, let's hope you're the third option at NT.

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Today's best headline...

Lebron flew South while his momma rode West.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse
___________

Now that's funny...props to the author, whoever that is.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | December 2, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I strongly believe that Jamaal Brown will play better next year after having a year playing RT and an offseason to heal. Not sure about Kemoeatu. I know we need better play at NT, but will Kemo play better next year? It's still worth picking up a NT in the draft whether we keep him or not.

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 2:30 PM

I get what you're saying...but beep wants 100 other little beeps running around here all talking and thinking like he does. We'll all be out of work with the crap cleaners!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

That was gross Moe haha

Yeah, the tossed salad joke was kinda gross.

(INSERT image of Moe pulling a pubic hair and a kernal of corn from between his brown-stained front teeth.)

But since I make stuff up as I go along, I'm just glad what I post has some kind of effect on folks.

Even if it's negative.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

ESPN-
Donovan McNabb owns an 11-7 career record against the Giants.
New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin doesn't care that Donovan McNabb has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns this season. He's seen McNabb's act way too many times over the years to think his Giants might catch a break Sunday in the Meadowlands.

McNabb has an 11-7 overall record against the Giants, and he's riding a four-game winning streak dating back to Nov. 2008. Coughlin and his players were just as shocked as everyone else when McNabb was traded from the Eagles to another NFC East rival, the Washington Redskins, this past offseason. And it doesn't sound like Coughlin has recovered. Asked to describe his reaction to the Easter Sunday news, Coughlin deadpanned, "My thoughts can't be expressed at this time."

McNabb has always had a certain comfort level against Coughlin's Giants. And he hasn't been afraid to rub it in a bit, as evidenced by his impromptu phone call on the Giants sideline in January of 2009. A picture of McNabb making that mock call was hanging in the Giants' locker room last season, but he beat them twice anyway.

In 18 regular-season games against the Giants, McNabb has thrown for 25 touchdowns and six interceptions. Over the past four games, he's completed 63 percent of his passes for 923 yards, seven touchdowns and three interceptions. Of course, he was throwing to DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin in those games instead of Santana Moss and Anthony Armstrong. On Wednesday, he was asked to explain why he's had so much success against the Giants.

Posted by: abxinc | December 2, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"It's just a comfort level in the team that you're with and the things that you're able to do," McNabb told reporters. "Guys around me made plays and when you're playing against a team twice a year, you have a feel with them, like what they're going to do, their defense's fronts and blitzes, and the answers to some of their questions.

"That's something that is obviously a lot different being with a different ball club, but when you play against a team for 11 years, you build a good relationship with them as far as what they're doing and the defensive coordinators. It's going to be a battle, and it's going to be a lot of fun."

Giants kept a photo in their locker room last season of McNabb making that mock phone call, but the Eagles swept New York.
It should also be noted that the Giants have owned the Redskins, winning seven of the past eight matchups. Most of the games haven't been that competitive, but something tells me Coughlin won't dwell on that message this week. The Giants were riding high last month at 6-2 when they hosted a downtrodden Cowboys team that was 1-7 at the time and playing its first game under interim coach Jason Garrett. The Cowboys won that game, and the Giants lost the next week in Philadelphia.

A team can recover from a two-game slide in November, but it can't happen in December. It doesn't matter that Washington's only 5-6. This is the most important game of the season for the Giants. If they win Sunday, I like their chances in Minneapolis the next week. They could have a three-game winning streak heading into a Dec. 19 rematch against the Eagles at New Meadowlands Stadium.

The Eagles get to finish the season with home games against the Vikings and Cowboys, while the Giants will have to travel to Green Bay and Washington. With the way things are going in the NFC North and NFC South, there's a decent chance an NFC East team could miss the playoffs with a 10-6 record. And that's one more reason why Coughlin is reminding his players of McNabb's past greatness.

"He's still Donovan McNabb and he has a very, very strong arm, he will pull it down and run," Coughlin said. "I don't think there's any difference in terms of how you prepare for Donovan, having to make sure that you try to force him to step up in the pocket and you try to put as much pressure as you can right away."

The Giants may have saved their season with a late drive against the Jacksonville Jaguars. But a loss at home to the Redskins on Sunday could cancel out everything they gained in that win. If the Giants can beat Washington this week, there's a great chance that wide receiver Steve Smith will return against the Vikings. And Hakeem Nicks shouldn't be too far behind.

I think both the Giants and Eagles will be 9-4 heading into their game Dec. 19, and then we'll call that the most important game of the season.

Posted by: abxinc | December 2, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 2:30 PM

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Good thing it's a free country, so I can call people NERDS, DORKS, DWEEBS, DOUSCHE BAGS, ETC., as much as I want. He just has 2 options,
1. Go f*ck himself
2. Repeat step 1 over again

Don't worry Play, as long as there are the beeps of the world on the blog, there will be plenty of porto-potties to clean up by the sanitation crews!

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Today's best headline....

Lebron flew South while his momma rode West.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 2:12 PM |

That was a tweet from like 2 days ago.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was funny. Not sure who came up with that little gem.

What's funny about your comment is that your whole act up here when your not being a complete D0uche is from like 10 years ago and belongs to Jim Rome.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

You can't spell ZZZZZZZZZ without N-B-A.

Posted by: freakzilla | December 2, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

HAYNESWORTH SHOULD HAVE WON IT. IT TOOK BALLS THE SIZE OF MA'KE TO PULL THOSE STUNTS.

Posted by: MadeRED | December 2, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 2, 2010 2:45 PM |

What's funny about YOUR comment is that you're suggesting Jim Rome isn't a doosh.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Jim Rome is DA BOMB!

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I saw the video of rome insulting Jim Everett a long time ago and haven't watched or listened to him since. The terrified look on rome's face when Everett got up told me everything I needed to know about that weasal.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Jim Rome is a tool.

Frank Caliendo making fun of Jim Rome, on the other hand...

Posted by: freakzilla | December 2, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Over the past few years, I've looked at the Skins, jint and iggles as sort of an Escher drawing. We seem to do well vs philly, philly does well vs the jints and the jints do well vs us.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Kemo is about where i figured he would be this time of year. Next year he should be better after a full healthy offseason. Just hope he is our backup NT behind some amazing player of which I have no clue of how we will obtain.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 2, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Jim Rome is a tool.

Frank Caliendo making fun of Jim Rome, on the other hand...

Posted by: freakzilla | December 2, 2010 3:27 PM |

That was epic, classic AND tremendous. Bill in Syracuse thinks that's hilarious. So does Silk Braaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Rack me.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 2, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see the Eli that tried to pick up and run with that fumbled snap against Dallas.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 2, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | December 2, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Same could be said for Jamal Brown.

Posted by: Devo2 | December 2, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Ma'ake. Keep eating the poi, laulau, lomi salmon, kalua pig and macaroni salad and hamburger steak from Rainbow Drive. Congrats and Aloha bruddah.

Posted by: getitritegov | December 2, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Why not Clint Didier or Ron Middleton?

Posted by: monk811 | December 2, 2010 2:14 PM

My vote goes to Doc Walker.

Posted by: wireman65 | December 2, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Same could be said for Jamal Brown.

Posted by: Devo2 | December 2, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Kind of expect a lot out of JB next year. keep in mind on top of a injury last year he was switching from a life long position change. Dude was literally lining up in a left tackle stance in the preseason still. So he should be greatly improved, healthy and more comfortable. Maakes always been a staright 3-4 nose.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 2, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Great for Kemo but we're getting blown up on the D-line -- 4.9 yards a carry; that't Barry Sanderesque.

Now we're going with the three centers in the interior of our o-line. Didn't work well last week. Look for a ton of pressure up the middle, a poor running game, and underthrown balls due to the collapse of the interior.

Posted by: bangkokben | December 2, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse