Posted at 4:27 PM ET, 11/24/2010

Macho Harris could see playing time on special teams

By Barry Svrluga

The newest member of the Redskins' ever-changing 53-man roster, former Virginia Tech star Victor "Macho" Harris, showed up for work Wednesday willing to do whatever an ailing team asks.

"Wherever they need me at," Harris said. "They need me as a kicker, I'm ready to do it."

A cornerback in college, Harris has been a free safety in his brief tenure in the NFL, which consists of 15 games, including eight starts, with Philadelphia last year. The Redskins signed him Tuesday after they worked out safeties, looking for a replacement for rookie Anderson Russell, who was placed on injured reserve Monday after a season-ending knee injury suffered in Sunday's victory over Tennessee.

"We brought a number of people in here yesterday," Coach Mike Shanahan said. "A number of guys worked out, and he was the guy who did the best job in the workout. He's played in games. Obviously he's got some playing experience last year. ...He had a great workout."

Harris could find significant playing time on special teams. But he said on defense, he has adjusted to playing safety from his college days at corner.

"Cornerback is just pretty much one on one with the receiver," Harris said. "It's basically your skill vs. their skill. Being the free safety, you're more the quarterback of the defense."

Still, Philadelphia cut Harris before this season, and he hadn't hooked on with anyone over the first two-and-a-half months of this year.

"I had to just stay strong and continue to believe," Harris said. "Things like that, guys tend to fold their tents away. I felt like I got some more years in me as far as football."

Ending up in Washington, Harris said, is perfect. He went to Highland Springs High outside of Richmond, and his friend and mentor DeAngelo Hall - the Redskins cornerback who also went to Virginia Tech - said Harris was calling him during the 2009 draft, trying to get Hall to convince Washington's former coaching staff to take him.

"This is definitely a place that he wanted to be," Hall said. "Even after he got drafted by Philly, he was like, 'Man, I want to come to Washington.' It don't work like that in this league. This isn't college, where you can pick and chose where you want to go."

Now, the Redskins have chosen Harris, and it's almost certain he'll be active on Sunday. The Redskins only healthy safeties are Kareem Moore and Reed Doughty, and they'll have to start.

"It's a dream come true," Harris said, "especially given an opportunity again to be back in the league and being in the place that you want to be in."

By Barry Svrluga  | November 24, 2010; 4:27 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Time to focus on Sunday's game, Santana Moss says
Next: Fourteen Redskins on injury report

Comments

A lot of the self-satisfied nimrods on this here blog think the Vikes are going to be a walk-over on Sun. Even though they have been in a tailspin, losing bad to the Pack and the Bears the last two weeks, the Vikes are a very dangerous team right now. They have O weaps - Pete, Brett, Rice - and if Favre has one of his games where he is on it could be a long afternoon for the Skins. And the Vikes will be looking to kick some A after offloading their jerkoff HC, just to prove to the world that he was the fork-up and not them.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | November 24, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Anthony Armstrong of the defense with a little more pedigree?

So this week we've signed a 4th and 5th round picks from the 2009 draft. Not too shabby.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 24, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Bottom line, I'm sorry to see him go on IR -- but I mad because the smartest coach we've had in a long time made a very dumb decision.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 24, 2010 4:28 PM |

Dude - I mad also.

Signed,

Clinton Portis

Posted by: AlligatorAl | November 24, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Drafted by Philly and he wanted to be in DC? No wonder the Eagles cut him.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 24, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 24, 2010 4:34 PM |

And the Skins can do even better. I hear they a 2nd round 2009 draft pick that the Pants just released that they could sign.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | November 24, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Correct - he a 2008 2nd round draft prick.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | November 24, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | November 24, 2010 4:34 PM

Well, when you consider that our 4th round pick in that draft paid for Pete Kendall and our 5th round pick was Cody Glenn it does seem like a bit of an upgrade. But, when you realize how many teams have passed on these guys, not so sure.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 24, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I hope he turns out to be a capable FS. If nothing else, we sure need depth at that spot.

Kareeem Moore is making a strong case for not being on the roster next year, so the world is Macho's oyster. (there's a phrase I thought I would never write...)

Posted by: edvar | November 24, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this has been reported yet, but Devin Thomas signs with the Gina's

Posted by: edvar | November 24, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this has been reported yet, but Devin Thomas signs with the Gina's

Posted by: edvar | November 24, 2010 4:49 PM

Cue: Frank Sinatra:

"If I can make it there,
I'll make it anywhere,
It's up to you
New York
New York."

cue: parbrain -- "Redskins are gonna pay now, haters"

Posted by: beep-beep | November 24, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Cue: Frank Sinatra:

"If I can make it there,
I'll make it anywhere,
It's up to you
New York
New York."

cue: parbrain -- "Redskins are gonna pay now, haters"

Posted by: beep-beep | November 24, 2010

Funny Sh!t. It is true though.

Posted by: dcwun | November 24, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Follow the leader to the new post. Follow--

beep-beep

Posted by: beep-beep | November 24, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Macho will be an upgrade over Moore as long as he wraps-up and tackles. Almost every big running play is caused by Moore missing a tackle. I can understand a safety struggling covering wide receivers but you can't miss running backs when you are the last line of defense.

Posted by: m_p_holmes | November 24, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Where is poopy mcpoop when you need him...

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | November 25, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse