Malcolm Kelly and Phillip Merling

Really gotta be fast on this one - puck about to drop - but making more calls and two names to watch this weekend for the Skins are WR Malcolm Kelly and DE Phillip Merling, team sources said. The team was finalizing trips to Oklahoma and Clemson, respectively, to meet the players one more time before the draft, likely the final visits with players before the draft this weekend.

Kelly bears particular attention. The Skins already brought him in for a visit recently and went out to Oklahoma for his workout. Now, they're going back again. It's looking more and more obvious that their dream scenario, where a tackle like Williams or Albert slips to 21, is out the window. And the ability to trade down out of the pick is largely out of their control, and there might not be a team willing to give up enough to trade up.

So they might be stuck making a pick.

Kelly ran a slow time during his workout in Oklahoma, and the Skins no doubt would like to see that improved upon this week. He lashed out at Oklahoma staff and trainers for their handling of his recent injuries and pouted that his low 40-yard time was due to a change of surface. His attitude led him to slip down some draft boards, but the kid is also a playmaker with some talent. He is leading the group of receivers Washington might end up considering at 21, but, again, they'd prefer to pick from this bunch somewhere in the second round instead.

The fact they are going back to see Kelly again was telling to many within the organization. If Kelly was off the board - or slips in the eyes of the Skins at this next meeting - Limas Sweed of Texas and Jordy Nelson of Kansas State are also high on Washington's receiver board, sources said, and either would be a candidate to be selected (Nelson recently visited Redskins Park and came away making a very strong impression, team sources said.

As for Merling, the team's attention has turned away from DT - which Greg Blache considered to be a strong position of need - to DE in recent days, again due to factors beyond the club's control. There is a huge drop-off after the top 3-4 DTs go in the top 10 picks. It's a stretch to take one in the top two rounds for the most part where the Skins pick, though the Skins will likely look hard at Marcus Harrison (Arkansas) around the third round if he's out there.

Merling rates higher than Miami DE Calais Campbell at this point with the Skins, sources said, but again things can change post-workout and as the draft gets closer. Merling slid down some boards after requiring sports hernia surgery, but like Kelly he is a junior with a lot of upside.

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 21, 2008; 6:59 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Roy Williams (the Detroit one)
Next: Redskins Again Make Play for C. Johnson

Comments

LETS GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Go Skins Go | April 21, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

EXCELLENT. This is the JLC I remember. Excellent article. Please stick to articles like this.

Posted by: RIV | April 21, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I think the Kelly trip is a diversion. The skins know that his value has slid to bottom of the first or high second round.

Posted by: marlonjohn | April 21, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

sure are a lot of geeks up here

Posted by: JBL | April 21, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

eHarmomy, already taken my man, so return the fee please...I could use the scratch!

Posted by: chris larry | April 21, 2008 5:56 PM

Chris Larry,

Think again. We were successful in making several matches for Mrs. Chris Larry. She's hot. Probably too hot for you to handle.

Posted by: eHarmony | April 21, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

JBL you're up here.

Posted by: marlonjohn | April 21, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: marlonjohn | April 21, 2008 7:38 PM

So the 'Skins might grab him if they can trade down. Also, they might have the view that having slipped, he's a great value at #21.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

So, the Caps are down 2-0 in the second. And the Wiz are down 53-40 at halftime. But the problem is that the Redskins have too much dead cap money, because they paid a big bonus to Chris Cooley.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

classy eHarmony...classy!

Posted by: chrIS larry | April 21, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh, so that's the problem, RIV thinks these are articles. They're posts on a blog. They're not articles, dude.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

not a whole lot of knowledge from this crowd.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Come on, you Caps, show some rabachs here, dudes!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Note the considerable restraint expended not to make another testicular joke based on the name "Semin."

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

that was nate, above, i think

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Insider... it's testicularious!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

what does it matter if it was nate above or not, it wasn't funny

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

nate was at 8:33

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

the string reads like an anon circle jerk to me....

Posted by: chris larry | April 21, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

that may be, but don't call me shirley.

Posted by: shirley | April 21, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Can we all agree.... NO to Malcolm Kelly!??!?!?!

Posted by: chris larry | April 21, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Can we all agree.... NO to Malcolm Kelly!??!?!?!

Posted by: chris larry | April 21, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

that may be, but don't call me shirley

Posted by: shirley | April 21, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Can we all agree.... NO to Malcolm Kelly!??!?!?!

Posted by: chris larry | April 21, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Awesome, Caps have come back and tied it. If Ovechkin comes alive things will be even better...

And the Wiz... well, not so much. I guess talking trash might not have been such a good idea. Too bad about becoming the Cavaliers' b!tches. Oh well. At least they have those freakin' gorgeous gold uniforms... ugh.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

The registered/authenticated circle jerks are so much more satisfying, no?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

....with a donkey to the left and a donkey to the right.

....and me with small hands.

Posted by: chris larry | April 21, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I agree NO to Malcolm Kelly.

Loseable Type agrees NO on hassle-free commenting.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

the string reads like an anon circle jerk to me....

Posted by: chris larry | April 21, 2008 8:50 PM

....with a donkey to the left and a donkey to the right.

....and me with small hands.

Posted by: chris larry | April 21, 2008 9:11 PM

Posted by: chirs Larry TESTI-MOAN-ials | April 21, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | April 21, 2008 8:32 PM

So? Articles, blog posts, bits of information. Personally I don't care, as long as I get info on the Skins' then I'm happy.

I have to say though, Redskins Insider isn't a typical blog. The amount of traffic generated by this site is excellent on a local level. Just about every fan that follows the team in the offseason knows about this blog.

It's not like JLC created an account on Blogone.com. This "blog" is a great source of traffic for the Post, but at the same time the "articles" are relativley informal and meant to give the fans time sensitive information thats allowed to bypass editing and in some cases fact-checking (Of course you probably already know that). Not saying that JLC doesn't back up his sources but I doubt the editors are on his butt (short of an incident like the one JLC had when he wrote "In the Tank")

Anyway I don't care. The post/ article/ information/ blog was great and for that JLC deserves to be recognized. It wouldn't be fair if I just took all his bad posts and made my case. The guy does good work as seen with articles/posts like this as well as his coverage of the coaching serach. At the same time posts like "2.0" are really starting to get annoying, and for a while it seemed like JLC had lost touch with the organization.

I personally don't even mind the guest blogs, so long as they're not like the one posted under "Latin Lesson" or something.

All I want is for JLC to cover the Redskins in the same manner he did here with "Malcolm Kelly and Phillip Merling", plus this post is way to long.

Posted by: RIV | April 21, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Yo RIV...I don't always agree with you, but your bring the heat....and you establish an ID and sign your posts....love it my man...

Posted by: chrIS larry | April 21, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Lil bit quiet in Philly.

Posted by: SMACK | April 21, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

JLC's gotten chance after chance and he continues to act like an idiot.

You'll have to wait for JLC to finish writing his book "101 Ways to Beat a Dead Horse" before any real Redskin info gets posted.

Posted by: Barnes and Noble | April 21, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

F the flyers and Philly....OV BABY!

Posted by: chris larry | April 21, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm writing a book called "101 Ways to Beat a Horny Donkey"

Posted by: chris larry | April 21, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I take it there's no way to watch the Caps game live on the Internets?

Posted by: P Diddy | April 21, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Sweet, an excuse to drink tomorrow night too!

Posted by: SMACK | April 21, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Diddy: There is actually...I watched the first period, and all of Saturdays game that way...but crapped out tonight....Tomorrow's game 7 is on Versus...

I am so siked I may go celebrate with a donkey show!!!

Posted by: chris larry (the ReAl One) | April 21, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Should I watch, or will that jinx it? :-)

Posted by: P Diddy | April 21, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

watch....just no fashion critiques...embrace the retro!

Posted by: chris larry | April 21, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the Wizards should be permitted to represent themselves in basketball court.

Posted by: SMACK | April 21, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Here is a fun article I came upon a few minutes ago:

I always wondered why Kiper kept his hair that way. LOL!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 21, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Jasno,

Thanks for this post. Assuming you have contacts at Redskins park, can you please tell them NO TO KELLY!!!

Thank you.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 21, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

amen RIV, thank you JLC!

this is why we still keep comin to the blog because we know you got it in you! skins try to block you out, you stop whining and make some new sources... i just hope you didn't have to sleep with anyone to get this info...

No way the skins take Malcom Kelly at 21... too much of a reach. He may be there at our natural 2nd rounder or perhaps we could trade up in the 2nd round to get him. I still really really really like Nelson though. I see Nelson on our roster, one way or another.

In my opinion, the skins are looking at BOTH these guys as smokescreens. I'd say theres a 50/50 chance Merling falls to us at 21 and by showing this much interest (in addition to the fact that we NEED a DE), I think we could bait someone to trade up with us to grab Merling. Then, we get a high second rounder and who knows what else.

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 21, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

TSH,

I would love to see us trade down to get more picks, early 2nd, to get a LB and early third.

Sunday will be a long day for me if we do not come away with Nelson in the second. Does it mean anything that his only visit was with the Skins? I am starting to think that he will not be there for our regular 2nd rd pick!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 21, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

What about KC's Jared Allen? Might the Skins make a play for him?

Posted by: ebbline | April 21, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

DIDDY, DO NOT WATCH THE CAPS GAME TOMORROW!!! yes, you'll jinx them.

no more logins? wha happened?

and please please get rid of "agent zero"...i don't want any team of this city to be anyone's btchi especially overrated, overhyped lebron...get a player or two in here that has some balls. this team has no heart what so EVER!

Posted by: dealer | April 21, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I think an ideal situation is Merling #21 and Kelly #51. Problem is Kelly won't be there at #51. So the Redskins should take the best available OG/OT, DT, LB, FS/CB at #51. The WR Nelson will be there for the taking at the Skins' natural 3rd rounder. Take him and you are set with him and A Mix at the big WR spot opposite Santana.

Posted by: gilk | April 21, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Curzon, i feel your pain. watching Nelson highlight reels, he looks more the "real deal" than even Limas Sweed. Ideally, i'm with you and would like to trade down as well. If we got a high 2nd round pick, I would use it on Nelson and not think twice about it - no matter who else was there. The guy is going to be a player.

Assuming we don't trade down, I see our draft going one of two ways now:

Merling/Nelson or Sweed/Avril. The latter is due to my favorite mock site which was just updated this evening:

21. Washington Redskins: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas

I have previously had the Redskins taking a DE in my 2008 NFL Draft. However, Harvey is going to go in the top 20 and Merling is injury prone they go after a WR. Limas Sweed is considered to be one of the top receivers in the 2008 NFL Draft. The Redskins will get a good receiver in 2008. So they will look to get a DE in the second round of the 2008 NFL Mock Draft.

-------------------------------------------

51. Washington Redskins: Cliff Avril, DE, Purdue

The Redskins got their WR in the first round so they go with their next biggest need here. I think that Cliff Avril is a great NFL prospect and will be able to play right away in the 2008 season. Avril is a LB/DE so he will be able to put pressure on the QB as a great athlete as well.

-------------------------------------------

I think that if we can't trade and have reason to believe Nelson will be gone by the time we have our 2nd, we go with Sweed in the first and a DE in the 2nd.

Either way, these my favored 3rd round picks now:

84. DeMario Pressley, DT, NC State
OR
Eric Young, G, Tennessee
96. Tavares Gooden, LB, Miami

I want Gooden almost as bad as I want Nelson.

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 21, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

dealer, Caps baby!!!!!!

Posted by: chris larry (the ReAl One) | April 21, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | April 21, 2008 8:32 PM

this has to be mr.knowitall talent ejaculator.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

guess again!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

cL, finally something to chear about in this city...

Posted by: dealer | April 21, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

just saw wizards highlights...was that basketball????

Posted by: chris larry | April 21, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

TSH,
In the third I would like to see us go w/OL, so I would go with Young instead of Pressley. For me, with a good rushing end that has to be considered by the opposing teams, our DTs should be fine. I would hold off until next year on that position.

This draft should be DE, WR, LB, DB and plenty of OL for buges to coach up.

I like your idea of going LB in the 1st rather than WR. For me, defense is a better risk than WR in the first.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 21, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Jasno,

Thank you.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 21, 2008 10:21 PM

Curzon...the Skins do not like JLC...with good reason...you think he has any clout with them????

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

dealer, a few threads back somebody was up here asking after the cab driver dude who used to post here. YOU. So I'm probably not the only person glad to see you posting up here.

Registration is busted. Cindy (or someone posting under that name) has assured us it will be back on soon. In the meantime, we are kicking the blog old school.

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | April 21, 2008 11:13 PM

And I just wanted to throw my vote in for NO TO KELLY.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 21, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

blank anonymous person, don't worry - the very fact we are visiting kelly is a strong indication we aren't interested. it is especially crucial that teams cover their true intentions during the final week leading up to the draft.

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 21, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happen to a corner huh? We could definately use one more than a receiver in the first. We can get a solid receiver in the second or third. I like Kendall Langford DE from Hampton in the third. I will say this, if Merling is there at 21, it will be hard to pass up. I REALLY hope we can trade down. I say no to Kelly only if there are better options there. It is very possible that if Merling is gone, Kelly or Sweed maybe the best option.

Posted by: Francisco | April 21, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

It makes no sense to go after Kelly in the 1st based on everything that has gone on with him recently.

If we have to go WR in the 1st...why not James Hardy?

But if Albert or another OL is there; it may be smart to go after a CB if we're looking for the best player available.

Posted by: Walking Deadman | April 22, 2008 12:06 AM | Report abuse

please dont call me shirley

Posted by: shirley | April 22, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Apparently I have the plague. . . based on self diagnosis and day 4 of fever and feeling like someone put me through a meat grinder then a wood chipper then deep fried me then threw me against the wall and then ran a truck over me.

I'm so sick of being sick. Calgon take me away.

I agree that Kelly is a smokescreen. Although with the Skins ya never know. Why would you take a diva rookie WR at #21 when we could get one from the Bengals who is at least a proven commodity.

Posted by: sfskin | April 22, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

sfskin, the best option is amputation. Glad to be of help.

After much internal debate, I've decided not to watch the Caps game tomorrow. I'll miss the fascinating back and forth of a black rubber disc skidding along on a sheet of ice. Instead, I will get some extra sleep and dream of Coach Cowher hoisting the Lombardi Trophy for the maroon and black and yellow in February 2010.

Posted by: P Diddy | April 22, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

P Diddy, bite your tongue! If we have Cowher in 2010, then we better draft a QB this year because we do not need JC learning another system in 2009.

Oh, and amputation will not work. sfskin, just end it now. nothing is worth being this sick for this long.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Diddy - if my head could be preserved I'd totally amputate right now.

Can we all agree that the gold and black unis for the Wiz have got be put to flame in a giant bonfire on Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the WH? Call it a protest. Holy smokes was that a basketball game between professionals?

Oh and go Caps but I'm not watching. Last week I watched the game they lost in 2OT . . .clearly the plague can travel through TV screens.

Posted by: sfskin | April 22, 2008 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2008 12:28 AM

LMAO!

I would but I'm too stubborn. I refuse to leave this planet (unless it's on a spaceship) while that jacquesasse is still in the WH and the Skins don't make it past the first round of the playoffs . . . . I realize I may be here a loooong time.

Posted by: sfskin | April 22, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

sfskin,
I am with you on the skins. can't leave without seeing them win another title!

I felt like that when I thought I had mono. It took steriods to fix me. Check with Clements... he may be able to help you:)

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

I thought Kelly ran two more 4.6+ 40s this weekend... No way he's a 1st round draft pick. My guess is the Skins 1st round selection will be LG Albert if he's available -- otherwise the best DE between Merling and Campbell.

Posted by: Siris | April 22, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Wow. I get so EXCITED at the thought of drafting yet another WR at the top of the draft!! It is an absolute THRILL to keep drafting finesse skill position players and watch our offensive line deteriorate into weak oblivion. It excites me so much to think of Michael Westbrook, Taylor Jacobs, and Rod Gardner that I want to cry tears of joy! Obviously the Skins have little ability to judge talent - those three right there represent nothing but bad attitudes, failure, and misery for Redskin fans. Another WR? I get so excited!!

Posted by: PatheticSkins | April 22, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

This guy may be a reach but he may be the best player available at 21 depending on how the first 20 picks turn out:

Antoine Cason

10 Yrd Dash: 225 Lb. Bench Reps:
Vertical Jump: 36
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle:
3-Cone Drill: 7.07

Before Combine: Hgt: 6002, Wgt: 190, 40YD: 4.45-4.54-4.59

Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 08/12/07: #4 CB, #28/750 Overall, Projected: Rnd 1-2
2007: Started all twelve games at weak-side cornerback, ranking third on the team with a career-high 71 tackles (56 solos), including a 6-yard sack and four stops for losses of 12 yards...Caused two fumbles and deflected a team-high fourteen passes...Tied Nate Ness for the team lead and both ranked second in the league with five interceptions...Gained 164 yards with two interceptions on those five pass thefts...Made 56 of his stops vs. the pass, coming up with 26 third-down hits, including six in run support...Also made one fourth-down stop and tackled the opponent four times for no gain...Made seven of his tackles inside the red zone...Of the 73 passes targeted to his area, the opposition caught 23 for 258 yards (11.2 avg), two touchdowns and twelve first downs (held the opposition to 3.53 yards per pass attempt)...Allowed seven more first downs on 29 running plays he participated in. 12 GP; 12 GS; 62 TT, 2 TFL, 3 INT, 7 PBU, 1 FF; Playboy 2007 All-America... Candidate for Lott Trophy and Thorpe Award... First-team All-Pacific-10 Conference honors in 2006. 11 GP; 11 GS; 50 TT, 2.5 TFL, 3 INT, 5 PBU in '05. 11 GP; 11 GS; 70 TT, 5.5 TFL, 4 INT, 6 PBU, 3 FF; Started 11 games as a true freshman in 2004, earning All-Pac-10 honorable mention.

Draft Scout Antoine Cason News
04/11/08 - These players are among those scheduled to visit the Cowboys' facility in the days leading up to the NFL draft: Texas WR Limas Sweed; Virginia G Branden Albert; UNLV ILB Beau Bell; Texas A&M TE Martellus Bennett; Virginia Tech OT Duane Brown; Arizona CB Antoine Cason; Texas RB Jamaal Charles; Missouri WR Will Franklin; Virginia Tech CB Brandon Flowers; Iowa CB Charles Godfrey; Indiana WR James Hardy; East Carolina RB Chris Johnson; Arkansas RB Felix Jones; Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly; Tennessee LB Jerod Mayo; Troy CB Leodis McKelvin; Illinois RB Rashard Mendenhall; Indiana CB Tracy Porter; USC LB Keith Rivers; Tennessee State CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie; Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart.

04/11/08 - The Cardinals will be taking a gamble if they pass on choosing a cornerback with the 16th overall pick in the draft. The need at the position is great. The starters, Eric Green and Rod Hood, are back and both are decent players. But with Antrel Rolle moving to safety, there is little talent and depth behind them. The third corner right now is veteran Ralph Brown, a solid player but probably not someone the coaches want to play in more than certain situations. Behind Brown, it's 5-foot-8 Michael Adams, a rookie free agent last year who played sparingly. This reportedly is a decent class of cornerbacks and maybe the Cardinals believe they can get a decent one in the second round. But don't count on guys like Antoine Cason from Arizona and Brandon Flowers from Virginia Tech dropping that far. No, the Cardinals will likely base their decision in the first round on need, and there is none greater than corner. They don't need a first-round pick to necessarily start right away. But it would be nice to add a playmaker at the spot, as well as someone who could challenge for a top job and be competent replacement in the event of event. Right now, they don't have a player like that on the roster. The Cardinals don't plan to bring in any top prospects, a continuation of a philosophy implemented several years ago. Club officials deny it has anything to do with saving money. They say they find out all they need to know about prospects from their scouts and interviews at the Combine.

03/21/08 - The Cowboys' focus on draft day is no secret. Their primary needs are at running back, cornerback and receiver. Usually in this time before the draft, teams are hush-hush about their wants and wishes. But vice president Stephen Jones has acknowledged that those three positions will be huge areas of focus on the first day of the draft, when the Cowboys have three picks two first-rounders and one second-rounder. And just taking a look at some of the players who have already been invited to the team's Valley Ranch training complex for pre-draft visits makes that focus most evident. Cornerbacks Leodis McKelvin, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Antoine Cason have been invited in for visits. All are considered first-round picks according to NFLDraftScout.com. Also invited so far are receiver Malcolm Kelly and running back Jamaal Charles, both of whom have been projected to go in the first round by many services. Cornerback is a must for the Cowboys because the team wanted to upgrade its third cornerback spot behind starters Terence Newman and Anthony Henry. It became even more critical when the Cowboys let two primary backups, Jacques Reeves (Houston) and Nate Jones (Miami), walk in free agency. As of the now, the Cowboys don't have any experienced or capable cornerbacks to play in nickel defense or sub if one of the starters were injured. Newman and Henry missed games due to injuries last season.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2008 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, should have edited the girls info out better on the above post.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2008 1:47 AM | Report abuse

Cliff Avril might be a decent choice if the Redskins ran a 3-4 defense. They don't. With his lack of size, he would be a liability at DE. If he runs and covers well, he might have SLB potential.

Posted by: Bug . . . | April 22, 2008 2:16 AM | Report abuse

Interesting.

Jasno mentions his 'team sources' numerous times in the post. Perhaps, some of the negative reaction to his take on the FO repentence has gotten under his skin?

Posted by: bangkokben | April 22, 2008 2:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bug . . . | April 22, 2008 2:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bug . . . | April 22, 2008 2:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bug . . . | April 22, 2008 3:25 AM | Report abuse

I take it there's no way to watch the Caps game live on the Internets?

Posted by: P Diddy | April 21, 2008 9:36 PM

Pdiddy, I know it's late, but check out channelsurfing.net

Posted by: JP | April 22, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

No to Kelly, thats gotta be a smoke screen. I honestly can't see him going in round 1. Merling, yes, in a NY minute, but Kelly? No friggin way. Watched some NFL Network stuff on the draft last night, lots of guys out there that can improve this team. Vinny needs to have burned the midnight oil since February, he cannot miss these opportunities.

Posted by: Greg | April 22, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

The WR Nelson will be there for the taking at the Skins' natural 3rd rounder.

Posted by: gilk | April 21, 2008 10:49 PM

Nelson is long gone by the 3rd round.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 22, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Me likesies Sweeds more than Kellies, but me likesies Jordies besties.

Posted by: gollum | April 22, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Agreed on Nelson, he's not lasting till the third round, and also I'd take Sweed before I'd take Kelly. Sweed is taller, and I believe faster.

Posted by: Greg | April 22, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

by Kevin Horning; GBN Chief Scout

DeSean Jackson- WR California: (5'9" 169 4.35)- Jackson, who had a wonderful season in 2006, is flat out much too small to be nothing more than a slot receiver in NFL. He has stayed in the first round talk only because of his speed, but it's not that hard to cover speed. His 5'9" 169 frame will never be enough to get him open against aggressive corners, and once he has some time in the NFL, defenses will be able to adjust and shut him down very easily, something like what college defenses did last year. He had a lot of other weapons at Cal last season, so the excuse that the defenses only had to cover him doesn't jive in this case. He was an excellent punt returner in college, with 4 TD's in '06, however this also declined in 2007 with just 1 TD return, which was in the season opener, and averaged just 10 yards per return. His yards per catch dropped by 6.3 yards per reception from 2006 to 2007, and he had 3 less touchdowns.

Jackson reminds me of Sinorice Moss, and we all know what Moss has done since being over valued in the 2006 draft. If you don't know, he's done the same as me in the NFL, nothing! There's nothing wrong with adding a small slot receiver in the middle rounds, but as a high to mid first rounder, no way. He's not Devin Hester either, so don't expect Jackson to be a pro bowler on special teams. Good luck to whatever team drafts Jackson in the first round, you're gonna need it.

Devin Thomas- WR Michigan State: (6'2" 215 4.47)- Thomas is the ultimate boom or bust pick. He had a very good year in '07 with 79 receptions for 1,260 yards and 8 touchdowns. He also led the Big Ten in kick returns with a 29.1 average, however these numbers are also pretty much his career numbers. Had 6 receptions in 2006. He has one year wonder written all over him and would've been well served with another season in college. He didn't return a kick for a touchdown which makes you wonder if he has big play potential as a returner, and is a very raw receiver. Whatever team takes him is going to have to be patient as he will be overmatched in the NFL next season. Has good measureables, but they are only good around draft time. You need much more than that to be a Pro Bowl wide receiver, and that's exactly what you expect when you take a guy in the first round. Anyone think the Lions would take him in the first round??

Posted by: skinfanman | April 22, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I really hope the skins lay off the 1st round WR's and take Jordy Nelson in the second.

Posted by: Mike | April 22, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

CBS football analyst Brian Baldinger isn't giddy over the professional potential of Arkansas running back Darren McFadden.

"I think he's the colossal bust in this draft. He doesn't run with patience. He's a very incomplete back who tries to run you over. If he gets a crease, he can take it to the house. But he doesn't break tackles and he fumbles. I'm not impressed."

Posted by: skinfanman | April 22, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | April 22, 2008 9:12 AM

This is old news.

Posted by: You must be buddies with Canfora | April 22, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I have a scenerio for you all. Say only one WR goes in the 1st round most likely Devin Thomas to the Bills. That leaves the Panthers, Eagles, Bucs, Skins, Cowboys looking at WR in the second round, do you all think the skins should trade up to get their targeted WR (Nelson), or do you think the skins should trade a future pick to say Atlanta to get another pick in the second seeing that this is an important draft to add youth to this team? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Posted by: draftquestion | April 22, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

HELLO!?!?!?!?!

WHERE IS EVERYONE!?!?!?!?!?!

Posted by: Whistling Winds, Tumbleweeds, Squeaking Doors | April 22, 2008 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Greg,

Agreed no Kelly, get Merling if he is there Nelson in the 2nd. Sweed is not a bad player either.

Posted by: kmdp4 | April 22, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Why all the Kelly hate? I don't like the diva attitude or the slow 40 time, but he's a big receiver with great hands. 3 years of excellent production at a big time school even though they had lousy QBs his Freshman and Soph years. I think he's definitely got bust potential, but I think he's got fantastic upside. That said, I like him at 31 a lot better than 21.

Posted by: skinfan | April 22, 2008 9:46 AM | Report abuse

KM, good to hear from you, where ya been?

skin, you answered your own question:

the diva attitude the slow 40 time, and his quick pointing of fingers when he ran a slow 40 time. It was everyone's fault but his that he's slow. Then he runs on a fast track, and is still slow, whose fault was that? What is going to happen the first time he drops a pass, or fumbles the ball, who do you think he'll blame then?

Posted by: Greg | April 22, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Plus they said the same thing about numerous other receivers(big receiver with great hands) including Westbrook. Size doesn't always equate to talent at wide receiver.

Posted by: Nico | April 22, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Greg, right on the mark on Kelly. Let him be a distraction for another team. Plenty of other WR in this draft to choose from where you will not have the headcase this guy brings.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Some guy in the media (did not catch his name) was just interviewed on 980 by Doc Walker. The guy said he was heading out to Redskins Park for a briefing by the Skins on the draft...said Snyder was going to be present. Interesting.

Posted by: Lisa | April 22, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

" ... No, I know he has no clout with the Skins. Usually I am negative about his post, so I thought I would throw a bone...Not that he reads these blogs (unlike TheCindy), but..."

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 21, 2008 11:24 PM

Actually, Jasno does read the blog, but he doesn't respond to it ... he just bottles up his sadness inside. Can't you hear it? This is what it sounds like -- when doves cry.

I agree re: Kelly bashing. The complaining about his 40 times and blaming everyone else looks like a more ominous "character issue" than the stuff about unpressed charges against Hardy from Indiana.

Personally, my guess is that there will be NO receivers drafted before pick #21 and that FIVE offensive linemen will be picked by then.

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Lisa, thanks for the tip.

I don't know what's more interesting... the redskins briefing a member of the media on their draft plans or the fact that Snyder will be there.

Personally, we know snyder is involved in alot of things, but i dont think he would be very involved in what players we draft... he would be more involved if we were trading picks for a player, as that would necessitate a big contract for the player and its Snyders money. I'm really starting to like the idea of drafting Merling/Rivers(if he fell) in the 1st and Nelson in the 2nd. If we give up our 1st for CJ/Williams/Boldin, i'm going to puke!

Secondly, why the heck are the skins briefing the media? are they revealing their plans so he can get working on a story now that puts a positive spin on something that the rest of us are going to view as completely moronic?

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 22, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

tsh, what makes you think this draft is any LESS about The Owner's money? You think he doesn't WANT to not only watch the personnel selection process, but also participate in it? Why would this season be any different? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," remember?

Today's press conference will not be about candor re: draft plans. If it were, it would be stupider than stupid does. Its about (1) appearing to be open and more candid than in the past and, to a lesser extent (2) disinformation. Every team does a pre-draft media event. It's just that time in the news cycle.

Also, I am way in favor of you puking if it means the Skins get Anquan Boldin.

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"If we give up our 1st for CJ/Williams/Boldin, i'm going to puke"

CJ, I'll agree with you, but Boldin, and Williams, are a bunch of years younger than he is, and would fill the role of the bigger receiver better than CJ would.

Posted by: Greg | April 22, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I like Malcolm Kelly, far and away my favorite receiver in this draft. I agree that 85 or Roy Williams would be better options, even with the money they'd want.

I've only read about Merling, never seen him play, but he reads like a bust, someone who was a 1 yr wonder, very athletic, unpolished...

Posted by: Jon | April 22, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Jon, I believe that Merling started 2, if not 3 years he played.

Posted by: Greg | April 22, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

According to ESPN.com we went big for 85:

Posted by: Jon | April 22, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Jon- From the Washington Times:

Merling does have 38 games of college experience that will be dissected by every team. They will see him post three sacks and 46 tackles in 2006 playing opposite Gaines Adams and then have a 78-tackle, seven-sack junior year.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Re: puke trades, though he was not a player mentioned, I would not puke if the Skins traded their second round pick (or lower) for Lito Sheppard ... [trading the first round pick for Sheppard would, however, cause a return on my breakfast.]

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Greg-

I didnt mean he didnt start, but rather that he only had 1 good season.....but after doing some quick research, doesnt even seem like he had that great a year last season:

His past 2 seasons:
Sophomore: 46 tackles, 10 for loss, 3 sacks
Junior: 78 tackles, 17 for loss, 7 sacks

Posted by: Jon | April 22, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

According to ESPN.com we went big for 85:

Posted by: Jon | April 22, 2008 10:43 AM

Curious if "unnamed owner" quote was Snyder... sure sounds like him.

Posted by: Nico | April 22, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Not sure I follow your logic Jon, or that there is being any used at all.

His stats are exponentially better, from 06, to 07, but he didn't have a good year?

What other player on the Clemson line had better stats than he did?

Can you also post the link about going after CJ?

Posted by: Greg | April 22, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Not interested in seeing CJ in the maroon and black, but you cannot doubt his abilities. Dude can play.

But WTF is wrong with the Bengals? Why keep someone on your team that does not want to be there for the sake of pride? No wonder they are perenniallosers!! Get some value and trade him. The $8 mil cap hit cannot be the issue because of where they are with the salary cap.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

i guess we didnt go big enough..

if we offer them the same deal after the cap hit is due...they will certainly accept right now they wo uld take an 8 mil cap hit...

I Myself think we offered to much...

Posted by: Fulvio | April 22, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

perennial losers

sorry, two words...

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

greg:

Sources: Skins offer '08 first-rounder, '09 pick for Johnson; Cincy says no
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: April 22, 2008, 10:34 AM ET
How serious are the Cincinnati Bengals about not giving in to Chad Johnson's trade demands?

Johnson

Serious enough to swat away an offer from the Washington Redskins that could have netted the Bengals two first round draft picks, team and league sources said.

The Redskins offered this year's first round pick, No. 21 overall, and a conditional third rounder in 2009 that could escalate to a first rounder if Johnson and the Redskins hit certain performance levels, the sources said.

It was not the first time the Redskins approached the Bengals about a deal but it was the first significant proposal.

The Bengals have not only rejected the Redskins, but two other NFC East suitors -- the Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles -- have been informed that there has been no change in the team's position that Johnson will not be traded.

The Bengals have noted to those suitors that Johnson has been the "second-highest paid receiver" in the NFL during the past three years, indignant about suggestions that Johnson also wants a new contract, the sources said.

Trading Johnson also would mean Cincinnati would take an $8 million salary cap hit, but that amount could be split over the next two years. Additionally, as one anonymous owner told ESPN.com, "There's nothing wrong with dead money. It's cash already paid and it's cash back in your pocket that you don't have to spend, especially with the [high] amount of everyone's salary cap these days."

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

sween,

the maximum we're going to spend on a 1st round pick is probably going to be around 14M over 5 years (Reggie Nelson was the 21st pick last year and got 13M over 5 years. We may even pay less than that if Parcells manages to "lower the bar" by paying this years 1st rounder less than last years. The trickle down effect could ensure we pay our pick less than reggie nelson got). On the flip side, the GARAUNTEED money we would pay a guy like chad Johnson would be around $20 Million.. the contract itself would likely be north of 60 Million.

A trade for an elite player is MUCH more about the owners money than the draft.

Also, i like Boldin the most of all the receivers I mentioned but I fear we would give up too much to get him. If it were only a 2nd rounder, ok, but my gut tells me we would give our 1st and 3rd and i don't think we should give up more than one pick... no matter who the player is. We simply have too many needs and this draft is too deep at the positions where we have needs for us to throw picks away like we used to.

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 22, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

FYI. Doc Walker had Calais Campbell on his show today. Doc sounded pretty high on him, he mentioned several times that he feels that Calais could be the #21 pick. The new DL coach is very high on him. Calais said he would love to reunited with the DL coach because he knows how to get the best out of his talents.

Posted by: marlonjohn | April 22, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Well, there goes "fiscally responsible" and ""build through the draft" as new Redskins FO philosophies.

Posted by: jcook | April 22, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Greg-

My rationale is that players who have 1 sudden good year in college, particularly those who are not a finished product but more of the 'upside' type, are likely to be busts.

That said, Merling had 1 good year in college, that was by no means spectacular. It was good, but not dominant.

To your points, a spike in production does not indicate a great season. Going from 1 sack to 5 is a spike, but doesnt mean the 5 sack season was good.

Being the best player on the clemson line doesn't mean much if the rest of the line isn't great. I won't go as far as saying smartest person on the short bus, but..

85 link from espn.com:

Posted by: Jon | April 22, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

How about the pacman? Paying hush money to the gun man at the strip club shooting. Dallas may have to get their CB through the draft. Idiot!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I would take a shot at Lito for a 2nd Rounder...we are in desperate need of a CB...look at this

Staring Duo:

Springs...Sheppard

3rd and 4th:

Smoot...Rogers...

Once Rogers is fully healthy we can even move Springs or Smoot to SS...Smoot is well-suited for that position..he like to tackle really hard...

Posted by: Fulvio | April 22, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

at least this puts the skins in a position to be the last team to talk to before a wr is traded to the cowgirls or eagles...

Posted by: uncle spence | April 22, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Wow, i hate to say it but I am so glad the Bengals are being punks and not trading CJ. That trade would have been a colossal mistake. Unfortunately, it means the skins will only up the ante, offering our 1st this year and next with no conditions on performance of CJ or the Redskins. Cincy has every reason to beleive they would be getting a top 10 pick next year. No one who is not a fan expects the skins to be anything more than horrible this year.

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 22, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

This trade offer is disgusting. We're lucky we didn't piss away our pick last year for Briggs and now we almost do it again for Ocho Cinco? Unreal.

Posted by: Snyder You Idiot | April 22, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather have Williams, and maybe Boldin

85 is not a big receiver, and is less of a red zone threat than the other 2. I also feel that we could get the other 2 for less money and drama....

Posted by: Jon | April 22, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I like 85 and think he would do good here but hell no on a 1st this year and a 3rd next year.

Posted by: jm220 | April 22, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcook | April 22, 2008 10:58 AM

What picks did they trade?

Posted by: Greg | April 22, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Too funny. It's the stubborness of teams like the Bears and Bengals that are keeping our circus like FO in check. F the line issues, lets just trade away picks for a 30 year old WR who is acting like a baby to get his way. Sorry for badmouthing Jasno, he is right these guys are never gonna learn.

Posted by: cdubb | April 22, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The year that Smoot becomes a strong safety will be the last year of his NFL career. Little guys tackling tight ends and fullbacks while taking on offensive linemen don't last long before they are on the injured-reserve list.

Posted by: jcook | April 22, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

i would rather pick up Malcolm Kelly with the 21st than give to potential first rounders to them especially nxt year having a possible top ten...

Posted by: Fulvio | April 22, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcook | April 22, 2008 11:10 AM

Well i never thought about it that way...lol

BUT in that case niether can Springs

Posted by: Fulvio | April 22, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

However, if the rest of the Clemson line is a bunch of nobodies then that makes his stats impressive does it not?

Posted by: Greg | April 22, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

"... A trade for an elite player is MUCH more about the owners money than the draft. ..."

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 22, 2008 10:55 AM

I think the point you demonstrated was that "a trade for an elite player is about much more of the owner's money" rather than "much more about" ... but maybe we agree to disagree.

I say there is no way that The Owner isn't plugged into and participating in the draft decision-making 24/7. It is one of the few times of the year (other than maybe watching the team in the playoffs) that it would be "funnest" to be the owner. At a minimum, I'm saying The Owner knows and has sway WAY WAY more than ANY of the coaches (other than maybe Z), and that the coaches are only data inputs, and not part of the actual deciding.

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Talk of moving either Springs or Smoot to safety is crazy - not that they have that luxury anyway with Rogers out.

Posted by: mtnskinsfan | April 22, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

sween...

Jasno bottling up his sadness? I hate to see him really let loose.

Yikes.

I'd like to think that RI would not be the shabingus that brings about Jasno's demise.

Posted by: Dorf | April 22, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

i woud love it if the Redskins made a trade offer to the Packers for Atari Bigby..he is a hard-nosed SS...hits hard and doesnt back down

Posted by: Fulvio | April 22, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I would love it if the Redskins drafted a S, particularly, Josh Barnett.

Posted by: Greg | April 22, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

This amateur GM is thinking about finding one or more undrafted OLBs who stand out for being smart and fast ... and then signing them to be safety depth.

The combo of Sean Taylor and LaRon Landry forecast the future of the NFL safety position. [I was never quite sure why Lemar Marshall got moved to LB ... he was a strong safety at Michigan State ... maybe his skill set was ahead of its time.]

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Well, look at this way: now we've got Danny Verdun-Wheeler in the locker room, and we have Danny Wheeler-Dealer in the front office. It's a balanced approach.

Posted by: jcook | April 22, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Greg, is Josh Barbett a SS...thats what we need we have FS locked up for the next ten years..barring anything bad...RIP #21

Posted by: Fulvio | April 22, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 22, 2008 11:03 AM

Talkshowhost, don't worry, Cowboys or Eagles might still outbid Redskins for CJ. With their top two WRs turning 34 and 35 this upcoming season, Cowboys might be desperate enough to offer both of their this year's first round picks for CJ plus the next year's first rounder. Tony Romo needs a top-flight WR to be successful in this league and two consecutive early playoff exits cannot be good for his confidence.

Posted by: M | April 22, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

dcsween,

sort of like Atari Bigby...he moved to LB but things werent working out so he is back at SS...and i love his game

Posted by: Fulvio | April 22, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Ful, we need to use draft picks, for drafting players, not for making trades.

Posted by: Greg | April 22, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I would be more than a little pissed if they took Kelly.

Marcus Monk ran a 4.41 40 at Arkansas' pro day, had a 36" vertical and his knees have compltely healed.

Kelly sounds to me like an inferior athlete to Monk with injury issues and a bad attitude. I think we should spend one of our extra 3rd round picks on Monk and forget that Malcolm Kelly exists.

Posted by: Larry Bud | April 22, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Greg-

Fair point. It does indicate that Merling was facing a lot of double-teams, so 7 sacks is pretty impressive.

Posted by: Jon | April 22, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Did I mention that Monk is 6'6", 220lbs.?

Posted by: Larry Bud | April 22, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Fulvio, a few days ago, the blog was jibba jabbing on the topic of "man love." I man love Atari Bigby. Undrafted pickup in 2006. Rocketed up in his performance over the course of the year (which maybe happens when the corners in your secondary are Woodson and Al Harris, but still ...). If the Packers don't lock him up next season (we was RFA or maybe ERFA this offseason ... it was never quite clear), then the Skins would be set at safety FOREVER. That said, I think Doughty is set for to take off ... we need corners.

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

40 times for wr's are worthless....Kelly has terrific hands and is a great player. I personally think he is the least likely wr in this class to be a bust.

Unless the guy is returning kicks, 40 times should mean very little.

Posted by: Jon | April 22, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I can't see enough room on the Dallas roster for both T.O. and Ocho Cinco ... I mean, not enough room ego-wise.

[I hate that Dallas has two first round picks ... and that their first one comes just a couple/few before ours.]

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

sween-

dallas drafts at 22 and 28, so they are drafting after us, not before

Posted by: Jon | April 22, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Ful/DC, no doubt Atari is a great player, but making a trade for him is EXACTLY the opposite approach that needs to be taken. GB spent nothing to get him, but will GAIN a pick if we were to make this trade, that makes ZERO SENSE, from a FO point

Jon, the fact that there are a bunch of nobodies on that line, combined with his exponential jump in stats, not just sacks is more than impressive. He was not only playing DE, but was rushing the passer from the DT spot as well.

Posted by: Greg | April 22, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

A while back, tafka was calling Calais Campbell "fat and lazy" because of his 40 times and his bench pressing. I remember reading something yesterday (but didn't post it b/c the anti-Calais Campbell venom here is fairly vehement) that some scout was surprised at his LOWER BODY power (and noting that he needed to work on his upper body) and that his shuttle times (?)(maybe 3 cone drill?) were really fast, exhibiting really powerful burst. The article also said something about how he (CC) realizes he needs to work on his bull rush technique, but that his speed rush technique was supersound.

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Greg, agreed that Skins should not trade for Bigby ... I'm just saying I man love him and that he would be a lovely UFA pick up when he hits free agency (if and when there is a new CBA to cover 2010 plus).

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

We need to forget that CJ even exists... PERIOS.

I'm very afraid that Dan and Vinny are going to pull another Stupid a$$ trade for him... I don't like this at all - I thought they had finally smelled the roses and learned that this isn't they way to build a championship team....

This Chris Mortenson report is just another rude awakening!

Why the Fu@$ would we conisder giving 2 1st rounders for this big mouth.... I used to like chad but the more he has opened his big pie hole to b1tch and complain this offseason the worse he looks!!!

Posted by: EinVB | April 22, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

sween-

dallas drafts at 22 and 28, so they are drafting after us, not before

Posted by: Jon | April 22, 2008 11:30 AM

GOOD (and happily corrected). Still hate that they get two first round picks ... and still hate them as a team.

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

For all the dead horse beating haters re: CJ, the one bit of info that seems to be forgotten was that bit about all the rejected coaching candidates who said that The Owner and Vinny openly discussed CJ as being in their plans ...

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

DC, thats the type of stuff you need to post, to turn the masses back in his favor. I was unaware that he ran a fast 3-cone, only aware that they timed him in the 40 with a sundial.

Posted by: Greg | April 22, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

several mocks have campbell being available when we make our selection in th SECOND round. we would be fools to draft him in the 1st. Its simply too much of a reach.

Posted by: talkshowhost | April 22, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I guess they are much higher of CJ than either Kelly or Merling.

Posted by: M | April 22, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: dcsween | April 22, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Jon,

Speed does matter at WR and if you're comparing the two guys speed could the determining factor.

My larger point is that wasting the #21 on a WR that compares similarly or worse to a WR that you could get in the 5th round is insane.

Here's some more info on Monk and, no, I'm not his agent.

" Large possession receiver with solid hands. Uses his frame to shield away defenders, nicely adjusts to the errant throw, and plucks the ball from the air with his soft hands. Works to become an open target, makes the reception in stride, and strong running after the catch with the ability to break tackles and pick up positive yardage. Stays with the action and out-jumps opponents for the high throw. Makes the tough catch with opponents draped on him."

sounds pretty good to me

Posted by: Larry Bud | April 22, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

There are so many wr's who are drafted solely because they are big and fast, but can't catch or run bad routes (see Gardner, Rod).

I know this is arbitrary, but personally, I think Kelly is the best WR in this draft, and is the only top guy I like. DeSean Jackson and Sweed I am so-so on, but Kelly I think will be a starting WR in the NFL. If we don't take Kelly, I have no problem taking Monk or someone else later (we do need to add at least 1 wr), but I think Kelly is good.

Posted by: Jon | April 22, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

dcsween I read that article as well. It was Pat Kerwin on nfl.com that noted that information. I think picking Calais at #21 is a little high only because of his pre draft workouts, but his on the field production is very very good. Here a look at some of the DE that may be available for the skins at #21.

Harvey
36 games, 90 tackle (59 solo), 20.5 sacks, 31 stops for losses, 11 qb pressures

Merling
38 games, 146 tackles (99 solo), 12 sacks, 31 stops for losses, 45 qb pressures

Campbell
36 games, 158 tackles (83 solo), 19.5 sacks, 39 stops for losses, 30 qb pressures

Groves
51 games, 120 tackles (75 solo), 26 sacks, 36 stops for losses, 38 qb pressures

Posted by: marlonjohn | April 22, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

WHO'S THE BLOCKHEAD?

++++ If Kelly was off the board - or slips in the eyes of the Skins at this next meeting - Limas Sweed of Texas and Jordy Nelson of Kansas State are also high on Washington's receiver board, sources said--JASNO+++

Somebody PLEASE...either JASNO or one of anonymous juvenile rocket surgeons who rip him without otherwise contributing riddle me this, please:

Since all the first round WRs come with one bit o baggage or another, and since the redskins have shown they can't draft worth Jack Squat when it coms to WRs, which of these damaged dudes is the BEST downfield blocker?

One thing about Sweed, I like. An expert on NFL-TV said he is by far the hardest worker of he bunch. To me, that means he'd learn to block, if he can't already. And just one key downfield block a game turn a 10 yard run into a to-the-house special.

Posted by: corkczar | April 22, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

++++Lisa, et al, the The Owner, the EVP, and Coach Zorn are doing a live pre-draft press conference at 11am. It will be streamed from the Skins site.++++

To say what? Unless they are announcing the CJ trade, or a new jack in tix prices, what the hell purpose could it serve?

"We plan to pick so-and-so?" Yeah sure.

What a waste of Electrons. Those idiots should be in place working the phones, doing detail work instead of blowing smoke at Ink Stained Wretches.

Wait, you ARE kidding right?

Because dallas, NE, et al won't be so dumbly occupied four hours before the Big Dance.

Posted by: corkczar | April 22, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: corkczar | April 22, 2008 11:52 AM

Actually, I've heard that Wade and Jerrah are flying last-minute from Cabo. I'm shocked anyone here would misunderestimate our dumbly occupance.

Posted by: SMACK | April 22, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

To all of you that commented on the above:

It is good to know that you can voice your opinion. However, it is not your decision to make. Isn't life beautiful? And it is a good thing you aren't in the driver's seat.
To you that keep the negatives about Kelly, you are pathetic!

Posted by: JW | April 22, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

To all of you that commented on the above:

It is good to know that you can voice your opinion. However, it is good to know that it is not your decision to make. Isn't life beautiful? And it is a good thing you won't have to make the final decision as to who the Redskins draft.
To you that keep speaking negative about Kelly, you are pathetic!

Posted by: JW | April 22, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Interesting about Kelly.

I just have issues with his speed.

I ran a 4.65 40 in college, though I was 160 lbs LOL.

I just don't see how he can be a legit first rounder with that speed.
Yea, I know, I have heard all this "big body" stuff, but you still have to be able to get SOME separation in this league.

Just a thought.