Malcolm Kelly headed to IR

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said today that receiver Malcolm Kelly will be placed on the season-ending injured reserve list.

We'll have more shortly.

By Rick Maese  |  August 31, 2010; 1:37 PM ET
Categories:  Malcolm Kelly
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arizona game critical for Willie Parker
Next: Redskins will place Malcolm Kelly on injured reserve

Comments

I guess, it is Snyder's money.... Why not just pay him for the whole year and see if he gets healthy and can play if not cut him next training camp.... I would do the same with Jeremy Jarmon since he is coming back from ACL 10 months ago and it takes a good year and half to be fully healed.

Posted by: BarackObama | August 31, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Seriously...this guy is a bust. Why does the team insist on keeping him around? Because he's tall? We knew he was over hyped from the get go.

Posted by: DieselDiaz | August 31, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Clearly they see something in MK. It's just too bad that we'll never get to see it in a game.

Posted by: TeeSkins | August 31, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, thats 1 roster spot open.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 31, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

He's not a bust. He's consistently injured is more accurate. Maybe he'll get an ijury settlement and can come back with us later in the year???

This counts as a cut.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 31, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Why would anyone be angry about this news? Does it cost us anything, except the owner's money? An extended break might be good for him to finally get right.

Posted by: AdamCr | August 31, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

MK's been given a gift, he needs to introduce himself to Phil Daniels and start training together....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

This counts as a cut.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 31, 2010 1:46 PM

If he's on IR he gets paid his full salary but he can't play this year.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"Why not just pay him for the whole year and see if he gets healthy and can play if not cut him next training camp."

They put him on IR so he won't take up a roster spot (They are only allowed 53. I think its a good move. He's talented enough to keep around for next year, but not good enough/healthy enough now to hold a roster spot for this year.

Posted by: HokiePaul | August 31, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

They put him on IR so he won't take up a roster spot (They are only allowed 53). I think its a good move. He's talented enough to keep around for next year, but not good enough/healthy enough now to hold a roster spot for this year.

Posted by: HokiePaul | August 31, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Fine, I'll just take my fat talk elsewhere.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | August 31, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

To Malcolm Kelly, Please take some time to reflect on your career, score some HGH from Moss' doc, and for God's sake, stay off the highways.

Posted by: Predator48 | August 31, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

So thats 1 down 12 to go right?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 31, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I can see Brandon Stokely being cut by Denver, there is significant local media traction out here in Colorado that he won't make the Broncos. He is a MS favorite, so look for him to head east if cut. I've been following everyone's take on Galloway...some see him as a camp invite to push youngsters, some think he's on the team. I don;t know, but at this point I lean to thinkg MS wants some veteran presences, so, we could be looking at:

Moss
Armstrong
Thomas
Stokely
Galloway
Banks

Austin (PS)

Of course, up to 50% of my projection could be 100% wrong.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | August 31, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes! This is awesome! I just bought my 2011 model MK12 Hype Machine. Now I can finally test this baby out!

Just watch out in 2011.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | August 31, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Didn't they IR Mike Furrey too? Although cheaper, I thought that was a more interesting move than IR'ing Kelly.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 31, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

One cut down, four to go. Who can it be now?

F Dallas.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | August 31, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

zeke... its the upside.

I bet dude learns to stretch now, lol. If I'm him, I'd be a yoga doing mofo.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 31, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

JLC pimping this guy to skins if texanos cut him:

Seems obvious what with Lil Shanny having worked with him in H Town.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 31, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

It's Snyder's money, but most mortals would have been given the boot by now...They have to keep Santana, Armstrong and Atomic Banks..The rest are a tossup, but DT has the edge..

Posted by: frak | August 31, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Kelly:
3 years, 365 yards of offense. Why, that is exactly 1 foot a day.

I think I'll call him 1 Foot from now on

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell waived. Again. Best of luck to him, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards for slim.

Posted by: AdamCr | August 31, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Bucs cut derrick ward.....

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 31, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Great, he's on IR.

Now somebody needs to spend some SERIOUS time with this man and give him a gameplan for lifestyle changes. Whatever he is doing as far as fitness isn't working. Not every body is built the same, and it's obvious Kelly needs much more upkeep than everyone else does even when he's seemingly healthy.

Posted by: psps23 | August 31, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell waived. Again

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...........for the love of Leigh Torrence, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Keim: IR for MK12

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 31, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

This makes sense. I think they have paid MK most of his 2010 salary already. So they keep him for one more year.

Remaining cuts:

James DEearth, HOward Green, Shay Hodge, and Wil Montgomery.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 31, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr

The owner may be a jerk, but I've never been a fan of wasting his money.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr | August 31, 2010 1:53 PM

That's what's wrong with the NFL -- too many coaches are over-obsessed with performance in actual games and place too little value on a guy's height.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Shanny likes what mk can offer in his offense that is the only reason to do this. Mk was healthy until training camp and is a risk worth taking as far shanny is concerned. I think Shanny's philosophy will be: if he can't stay healthy next offseason cut him, if he gets any serious injury again next season, cut him.

In the meantime the team will rehab his injury, and teach him to stretch and drink gatorade before stepping foot on the field.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 31, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Kelly:
3 years, 365 yards of offense. Why, that is exactly 1 foot a day.

I think I'll call him 1 Foot from now on

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Even worse. It's 1/3 of a foot a day.

Posted by: manifested | August 31, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Well they must feel he has a huge amount of talent, but he's gonna be on the shortest leash in the NFL next season. one injury and he's gone.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | August 31, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"Marko Mitchell waived. Again."

That's 0 for 3. I'm thinking that it's time for Mr. Mitchell to seriously consider another line of work . . .

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 31, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Even worse. It's 1/3 of a foot a day.

Posted by: manifested | August 31, 2010 1:58 PM

Thats just not as catchy

Posted by: PlayAction | August 31, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The owner may be a jerk, but I've never been a fan of wasting his money.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2010 1:57 PM

This from a guy whose idea of a GOOD way to spend money is on a fleet of disaster relieve aircraft carriers. (JK, Zeke. Sort of.)

Posted by: beep-beep | August 31, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

The owner may be a jerk, but I've never been a fan of wasting his money.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Awesomest one-sentence post to date.

Also MK=bust

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 31, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Got beep'd

The notion that Kelly is this once in a generation talent is nothing short of a tragic comedy.

Can someone tell me why is it CRITICAL that they keep him around?

A quick history on Malcolm Kelly:

College: injured
Pros: injured

WTF is this love fest with dude? He has nice hands, yeah well so do I. He has height, and so what? Nice hands and height don't mean sh*t when either your hammy is tweaked or when you've got a bum knee.

Last year it was his knee. This year its the hammy. Next year it'll be his thyroid gland or his pinkie toe or some sh*t...

Posted by: RedDMV | August 31, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: frediefritz | August 31, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't care about Malcolm Kelly. As of a few minutes ago he has nothing to do with the 2010 Redskins.

I would like to talk about McNabb, specifically Shanny Jr.s' comment about him practicing next week.

IMO the ankle is no big deal, he will prepare with the starters for Dallas; figuring out how to exploit their lame secondary.

All the while Haslett will be licking his chops at that joke of an offensive line Dallas is hauling out there.

HTTR RIPST21 F-DALLAS and GOD DAM_IT I'M READY FOR SEPT.12!!!!!

Posted by: iH8dallas | August 31, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

IR is because he's showed a willingness to work and could provide valuable competition next off season.

Even though he won't be allowed to practice, he can still "be with the team," and in that have a year in the system.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 31, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse