Posted at 3:03 PM ET, 01/ 4/2011

Malcolm Kelly hopes 2011 is his year

By Jason Reid

After another wasted season, third-year wide receiver Malcolm Kelly hopes to finally become a major contributor in 2011.

Kelly sat out the entire 2010 season after suffering a severe hamstring injury in late July, and he's likely facing his last chance to impress the Redskins. Although this season has just ended for Washington, Kelly is already eager for the next to begin.

"I'm gonna go and start hitting it hard about February," Kelly said the other day. "Like right after the Super Bowl."

Kelly was one of three second-round selections (wide receiver Devin Thomas and pass-catching tight end Fred Davis were the others) in Washington's disappointing 10-member 2008 draft class. Top-pick Thomas was released in October and only one member of the class - free safety Kareem Moore - was a full-time starter this season.

"Yeah, it's kind of crazy how the whole thing has worked out," Kelly said. "But you know that there's a lot of stuff you can't control. All you can control is how hard you work, so that's what I try to do."

The Redskins could have reached an injury settlement with Kelly and released him, but Coach Mike Shanahan chose to keep him on the roster.

Shanahan said he wanted to see how Kelly conducted himself while not being able to play, and "he's worked out very well, according to [strength] coach Ray Wright," Shanahan said. "And he's [done] what we asked him to do.

"Will he contribute next year? I'm hoping he will. We're going to give him the chance to see what he can do. He's got some talent and hopefully he does help us. But right now, it would be hard for me to say until I actually watch him practice and play."

Despite sitting out, Kelly committed himself to the Redskins' program on the field and in the classroom.

"I think a lot of IR guys, when they go on IR, you don't see their faces. I was up here every single day for every single meeting," the former Oklahoma standout said. "And that's hard, man, coming to meeting every day, when you know you're not going to be able to go out there and play, especially when I had the option to be back home or just hanging out.

"Especially once I got fully healthy, that was probably the most frustrating part, coming up here every single day and going through all the meetings. Coming up here on Saturday mornings for the walk-through. To some people, it's pointless. But at the same time, it's showing him [Shanahan] that I want to be here, want to be in the playbook and keeping my mind in the playbook."

Kelly had a base salary of $470,000 in 2010 and received a $391,000 roster bonus. He is under contract in 2011 for $555,000.

"I think I could have been a big factor" in the offense this season, Kelly said. "I think me, [former starting quarterback] Donovan [McNabb], the guys, I think everybody had high hopes going into the season. ... I think I can bring a different element to the offense [next season]. We'll just have to see. We'll have to see how everything goes."

By Jason Reid  | January 4, 2011; 3:03 PM ET
Categories:  Malcolm Kelly
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Football Insider Live: What will the Redskins look like in 2011?
Next: Redskins sign six to reserve contracts

Comments

Good luck MK12, ya 4th year rookie!

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm not reading this.

Posted by: PlayAction | January 4, 2011 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Awesome post. Thanks, JReid!

This is exactly what I was asking about in the comments the other day.

I'm happy to hear he's stayed checked-in mentally.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 4, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

May he become the big receiver we have always dreamed about (but I wouldn't bet a penny and two bottle caps on it).

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 4, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

...or say something about Duke to beeps.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 3:09 PM

I wouldn't notice that. Duke already gets a lot of love up here. I'd say that only two, maybe three, guys are traveling to the beat of a different drum. The words for them are "out of step."

Posted by: beep-beep | January 4, 2011 3:21 PM | Report abuse

STUPID!

Here's why:

1) The Redskins were 4-12 with a "top 10 defense".

2) We could not create turnovers.

3) WE WOULD NOT HAVE MADE THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR IF WE WOOULD HAVE KEPT THE 3-4.

Again, for once we're not taking the "Win Now" approach.

Posted by: rickyroge

Every other move they made was of the win now nature. Thus the horrible trade for McFlabb and the lack of draft picks this year.

I am not sure what you have seen since the end of the season that leads you to believe they are not going to go win now once again this off season.

Posted by: srobert1117 | January 4, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

But I would say that a lot of people think we should trade back to gain picks AND get Pouncey or whoever with a later 1st rounder.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Trading back is another solid option. My only issue with that is if we improve regularly over the next 2-3 years, this COULD be our best chance to pick up that franchise QB that has managed to elude us for so long.

If Shanahan can facilitate that trade AND still grab our Franchise QB then Im all the more happy.

Bottom line, with all of our needs I really wont be too upset what happens when the draft and free agency come around. Lets just do it in a smart, judicious, shrewd manner. Not TE in the top 2 rounds, if at all.

On and you are a D-bag (per Beep beep) and Duke sucks...

Posted by: sweetsweetlou | January 4, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Who???

Posted by: hbu_dog | January 4, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | January 4, 2011 3:21 PM |

Whateves. You never miss a shot at Duck.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You still get a pay check right???? Well go to work then....

Posted by: hbu_dog | January 4, 2011 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: srobert1117 | January 4, 2011 3:22 PM |

You are SOOOOO wrong. Every other move was win now? The only win now move was McScabb. If we were so win now we would have taken shots at Dansby, Jackson, Mankins, Moss, Boldin, Peppers, etc. etc. Why don't you show us all these other so called "win now" moves. Was it bringing in Grossman? How about all the second tier, stop gap, backup types like Lickandstickher, Hicks, Maake, Buchanon, etc. etc.? No wait, it must have been the ridiculous amounts of money we saved by cutting a bunch of fat. Wait, no, it was switching all the schemes and starting over from scratch, you know, because teams always pick those things up right off the bat with no learning or adjustment periods.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Well, we can forget about Luck, at least for now.

Posted by: quinn3 | January 4, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Whateves. You never miss a shot at Duck.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 3:26 PM

Ooops. I better make that three or four guys are out of step.

Posted by: beep-beep | January 4, 2011 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like he's got the right attitude. Just hope his legs hold up.

Posted by: skinswest | January 4, 2011 3:34 PM | Report abuse

And no mattah what folks say, 6-10 is an improvement over the mess Zorn left behind.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 4, 2011 12:55 PM

I'll never understand how a guy who spent just 2 years here, under constant Dan & Vinny "supervision", gets so much blame for the state of the team.

He was given an aging O-line, divas like Portis & Haynesworth, and much of the same drama as Shanahan... but not the same authority.

Both coaches have exactly the same winning percentages as Skins coaches, for the record.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 4, 2011 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I hate Duke too.

Posted by: PlayAction | January 4, 2011 3:35 PM | Report abuse

On and you are a D-bag (per Beep beep) and Duke sucks...

Posted by: sweetsweetlou | January 4, 2011 3:25 PM

I agree with much of what you say. I said as much yesterday when I made the comment that if we continue to improve we will get further and further away from the front of the draft thus making it either more difficult or more costly to get a young franchise QB. With as many good ones out there as this year it would be most wise to spend what it takes now. We should be able to shore up the oline in FA to protect said QB who could sit for a year and learn. I hate that I have come to this conclusion because I have become adverse to high picks on QB's and WR's in DC. Call me gun shy.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 3:35 PM | Report abuse

We never had a chance with Luck. After that you dont want a QB from this class.
It wont be easy but if we could trade down that would obv be ideal. Throw in Ahay or something to sweeten it. Grab some interior line man on both sides with the first couple picks.

JUST SAY NO to a qb in the draft....

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

On and you are a D-bag (per Beep beep) and Duke sucks...

Posted by: sweetsweetlou | January 4, 2011 3:25 PM

Oh, and I know what I am and you are hurting my wittle feewings...and phuk Duck.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

In the early rounds. Good job Kelley, who is this guy?....

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

PFT says Carolina not likely to trade away the first pick...bet I know who they're targeting.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Sweetlou...have you ever thought about becoming a sock puppet?

Posted by: PlayAction | January 4, 2011 3:40 PM | Report abuse

DikShuttle

Whatever happened to R Kelly anyways?

I saw the video he made.

It wasn't worth dukie-squat.

(INSERT rimshot audio and shouts of "Urine big trouble, Moe!")

Posted by: gimmesummoe | January 4, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Awesome post. Thanks, JReid!

This is exactly what I was asking about in the comments the other day.

I'm happy to hear he's stayed checked-in mentally.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 4, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse
---------
Agreed. Sent j Reid my only email last week about this too. Would be a big help if malcolm can become the player many of us expected for next year.

Posted by: AdamCr | January 4, 2011 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Teh work ethic alone could be worth the scratch.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 4, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

scottcampbell

...bet I know who they're targeting.

The panthers have Matt Moore, Jimmy Clausen, and Tony Pike: and they're gonna draft ANOTHER quarterback?

Matt Millen must be hanging out with their GM.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | January 4, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

We never had a chance with Luck. After that you dont want a QB from this class.

JUST SAY NO to a qb in the draft....

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I agree about the QBs. The second best is Locker and I'm not sold on him. After that why even bother? Newton is a total boom or bust and 1 of Ponder, Devlin, or Mallett will still be available in the second round. I'd rather take a better prospect like A.J. Green or Marcell Dareus if we're stuck at #10.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 4, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and this article was posted yesterday on Extremeskins blog and I cut and pasted it here. JReid simply cut and pasted it. Look at last night posts...still a hack.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

If we could trade down and steal Marvin Austin due to him being perceived as a malcontent. Then grab whichever C(Odowd, Winewski, Pouncey) is still around. That would be the ideal start to the draft for me.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

With Blaine Gabbert coming out, I think we have that much better of a chance at landing a good QB. No matter who we target they will be good, it just depends on whose skills fit the O the best.

I will say this: I am not a big Locker fan. His accuracy seems like it could be an issue, and from what I've seen, his running ability takes over before he makes secondary reads. I feel similar about Newton. He is a huge college threat because he can run over and around guys. I don's see that happening as much in the NFL. However, If we draft either of those two and they prove me wrong, hooray for us!

Posted by: sweetsweetlou | January 4, 2011 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Aks Blowfly... lol.

I think after the case he kinda layed low... well that and his Wife dyin'... or however that happened.

Alright ladies, that's it for me. I'll catch ya on the flipside - or maybe during the game tonite.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 4, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey, it only took JReid 12 hours to cut and paste my post from last night:

*******************************************

Malcolm Kelly – remember him? – did what Shanahan wanted by staying in town while he was on injured reserve. In most cases, players leave town and they aren’t sticking around for Saturday walk-throughs. Kelly did that.
“That’s hard, man, coming in for meetings every day when you know you won’t be able to play,” he said, “especially when you have the option to be back home hanging out. Once I got fully healthy that was the most frustrating part, going through all the meetings and coming up here Saturday mornings for the walk-through. It was showing him that I want to be here.”
Now he needs to show it on the field.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 3, 2011 11:46 PM |
*******************************************

better late than never. Winder if I'll get any credit as an unnamed source . Maybe a check in the mail.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm X speaks:

"Especially once I got fully healthy, that was probably the most frustrating part, coming up here every single day and going through all the meetings."

You shouldn't have been IR'd IMO.

But obviously, THE MAN wanted to keep you down.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | January 4, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Maybe (if healthy) Malcolm Kelly can be a major player for the Skins.

If it turns out that he is, then we are stacked at receiver.

Santana- great slot guy

AA- great deep guy

Malcolm Kelly- hopefully great possession/red zone guy.

Then we still have Austin/Banks/Cooley/Davis.

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 4, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Attitude has never been the problem with Kelly, just health

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 4, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Matt Millen must be hanging out with their GM.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | January 4, 2011 3:44 PM

Screwy isn't it? No way they would pick anyone else though right? Or they would trade out of the first pick right? Gotta think those young QB's are now on the block.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

You shouldn't have been IR'd IMO.

But obviously, THE MAN wanted to keep you down.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | January 4, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't know. He's been hurt since 2007. Maybe keeping him healthy and off the field for a whole year is exactly what his body needed.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 4, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Not good......if he goes hard at it starting in February, his hamstrings will be spaghetti by training camp. I was thinking maybe we should keep him in a bubble until the first regular season game. We might get 3 games where he can suit up.

Posted by: drbatchelor | January 4, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Right. Malcolm Kelly.

Who needs to draft a WR now? Getting Malcolm Kelly back will be just like spending a high 2nd-round pick on a WR prospect. We are set at WR.

P.S.

Everyone hates Duke.

Their mascot is Satan. They are a racist institution as evidenced by their sports teams that sexually assault minorities, and their rat-face b-ball coach who prefers white players.

Posted by: p1funk | January 4, 2011 3:56 PM | Report abuse

The 3-4 NT from Stanford (who I told y'all to watch) looks like a good 3rd/4th round pick up......Also, Marvin Austin may be available around that time as well....

NT/DT/DE converts seem to be deep this year...It's just aout determining witch ones will be the good ones in the NFL....

Posted by: 4thFloor

noticed a post about watching Fua (NT, #92) and the few times I looked, seemed pretty ordinary. Maybe there were plays where he was a beast that I was looking elsewhere. They sure blitzed up the middle a lot and were very effective with it.

The Stanford lines totally dominated that game and I'm sure a few guys on their fronts will get attention.

...............

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 4, 2011 2:52 PM

He looked smart IMHO....He would attack the OLine and was consistently double teamed. If he couldn't go upp field, he would move laterally.

Tyrod Taylor didn't do any scrambling up the middle, because it was always clogged.

Remember, he is a NT, so stats/tackles isn't what his game is about....

But he will be available in the 3rd/4th round....so......

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Attitude has never been the problem with Kelly, just health

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 4, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Naw its both, Ask Okla how great he was in their bowl games. Or how he couldnt pass the conditioning test for Zorn. Also had playbook study probs...

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Attitude has never been the problem with Kelly, just health

Posted by: Original_etrod | January 4, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's been health.

And hands.

And speed.

And inability to get separation from DBs/run good routes.

But other than those things, it's been health.

Posted by: p1funk | January 4, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloo

I dont see how Marvin Austin fall to the 3/4 round. If he does that would be great for us. But once you get this guy in the combine/individual team workouts he is gonna blow them away. If he had played this year he was pretty much a lock for the top 10.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Matt Millen must be hanging out with their GM.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | January 4, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Which brings me to a point I brought up the other week.

If Panthers go w/ Luck, I bet Jimmy Clausen could be had for a low-mid round pick...maybe a 4th-5th.

So. Do you like Jimmy Clausen for a 4th/5th pick better than you like any of the other QBs in the draft not named "Luck"?

I do.

I'm willing to give him a pass on this past year's performance. The Panthers were atrocious and injury-riddled, and the kid was not set up for success.

Posted by: p1funk | January 4, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

scottcampbell1975

Gotta think those young QB's are now on the block.

The panthers are in the toughest NFC division--the South.

The saints, falcons will be good for a few years.

The bucs are rising, too.

Carolina sure does have a tough decision--they're paying Clausen good money but should they draft another quarterback?

Nawwwww...

They'd do well to trade the pick and find a decent FA vet to play under center.

They could really use a tight end and wr to go with him.

Maybe they'd like to flip from 1 to 10.

Just sayin.....

Posted by: gimmesummoe | January 4, 2011 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I never liked Clausen. Just like with Locker this year.
Actually win some games in college if you are a major name and I will be interested. Some people get to much hype cause they fit the mold.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Is Malcolm Kelly still relevant? I mean, I get it. He was a second round pick. But now that the season is over I assume that ever third post on this blog will be about him this offseason. Taylor Jacobs was a second round pick. And a bust. We didn't need recycled dialogue about him and we don't need it now with Kelly.

How many other major newspapers in NFL cities spend this much time on failed third-year second round draft picks?

Posted by: petestu2 | January 4, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

NFP article on the downside of Ryan Mallet and why he shouldn't be drafted in the 1st round. Brutal, but I hope he does well tonight.

Posted by: will_ga | January 4, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I never liked Clausen. Just like with Locker this year.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I've watched Clausen a good bit and never thought he was any better than a career backup. I think people just want a QB so bad they're willing to overlook the most glaring deficiencies. I agree about Locker too. We need to wait and take a QB when the price is right. When you look at a top 10 QB you have to know that they have more than 1 year of experience, have some major wins under their belt, can read a defense, can play under center, has great size and has good mechanics. The only guy in the draft this year that can lay claim to that is Luck.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 4, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

p1funk

Shanny was impressed by Clausen.

And that's what scares me.

Posted by: gimmesummoe | January 4, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Nailed it PA.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I dont see how Marvin Austin fall to the 3/4 round. ........

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 4:05 PM

I was talking about Stanford's NT being available. Austin has 1st round talent but will be available to us in the 2nd round...call it the Dez BRyant effect, minus the prositute of a mother and a P.I.M.P. dad.

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Plus if we draft a QB he will never play for the Shannys. It took them a quarter of the season to evaluate an 8 year vet to find out what everyone always knew, that he is mediocre w turnover issues.
At that evaluation rate a rook QB wouldnt see the field for another 5 years.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I never liked Clausen. Just like with Locker this year.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

His last year at Notre Dame he produced some ridiculous numbers. 3700yards/ 69% completion/ 28tds/ 4ints.

Games that they lost were not on him - that defense suffered some major collapses.

Posted by: p1funk | January 4, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | January 4, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

And Golden tate had 1496 of those yards and a whooping 15 TD rec. I would rather have him then Clausen.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 4, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't profess to be a QB prospect evaluator, so I'm honestly wondering what the "glaring" deficiencies are with Jimmy Clausen.

In my scenario we wouldn't be spending a top-10 pick on him...we would be spending a 4th-5th round pick to take him off of Carolina's hands.

Posted by: p1funk | January 4, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Thats another thing. Running a well balanced offense. When one receiver accounts for over half your TDs in your best season it might not be all you. Ability to make reads and spread the ball around. I like Weeden(okst) but I would much rather have Blackmon, know what i mean.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | January 4, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't hold that against Clausen. Any QB with gaudy numbers is probably going to have a receiver with gaudy numbers, unless you are playing in a spread-shotgun style offense.

Considering that Golden Tate is 4th-5th receiver on Seattle's depth chart, we may be able to get both Tate and Clausen at this point.

Of course whatever QB lands here, he would clearly need a top #1 wideout to throw to in order to succeed.

Posted by: p1funk | January 4, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

P1,

Don't feel bad dude know one that post on this site is qualified to judge college talent. Either are half the guys that actually get paid to do it.

I will be happy with any player we take at #10 unless it is an interior O-Linmen or TE.

If Shanny thinks that Locker or another QB is his man then he should draft him, if he actually listened to fans then he would be an idiot.

If that guy is a bust then he will have to deal with the consequences.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

it's called a "job"

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | January 4, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

1) The Redskins were 4-12 with a "top 10 defense".

2) We could not create turnovers.

Again, for once we're not taking the "Win Now" approach.

Posted by: rickyroge

Okay Number three I know you MEANT "kept the 4-3."

I agree. Why? Because the offense sucked. Personnel issues among other things. And, with the switch to the 3-4, the Redskins have managed to slide to last as a defense, while now needing to replace many people who worked well in the 4-3 with people who work well in the 3-4.

They are already down Haynesworth and Carter. They had to move Mac inside. They stumbled into a NG, still need a starter or backup. Need a DRE. Need another OLB. Need a corner or two. Need a ILB.

Guess what? You spend your rare draft resources updating the D, there are that many fewer resources for updating the O. Result, Mediocrity continues.

It's numbers, not rocket surgery.

Posted by: TheCork | January 4, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Sure, you like Blackmon with the 10th pick...so do I.

But we are not talking about taking Clausen (or Weeden) with a 1st round pick.

We are talking about getting him with a low-mid round pick from Carolina.

Posted by: p1funk | January 4, 2011 4:53 PM | Report abuse

MK12 will be one of our top wideouts next year.....

How do I know?

Because it's his 4thYear

Book It!

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Kelly is lucky Shanny wants to have another look and is giving him another season. Malcolm better hope 2011 is his year or he'll be selling used cars somewhere.....

Posted by: Riggo2 | January 4, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse
_____________

I'm sorry, what? You want to draft a TE with the #10 pick given our other needs? I seem to recall that we have a couple of those already....

Posted by: skinsfan713 | January 4, 2011 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm a big Malcolm Jelly fan. It's a kid's book character I created based on MK12, a gifted athlete who cannot stay healthy. Finally he relents and accepts that he was not meant to be a pro athlete and makes a fortune canning jams and jellies. No, I don't use drugs. Much. As far as you know.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 4, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 4, 2011 5:13 PM |

Have you heard of some advances in leg replacement surgery about which I am not aware?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 4, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Need a corner or two. Need a ILB.

It's numbers, not rocket surgery.

Posted by: TheCork | January 4, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse
_______

This is why I think they'll re-sign Rogers if they can. In spite of his bad hands, he's actually a pretty decent cover corner - a worthy starter and certainly the best we have. I'm probably in a minority here, but I think that he and D-Hall can actually make a pretty effective tandem in spite of the other glaring weaknesses of the D if D-Hall would show a little more discipline with his route jumping sometimes. I would focus on the LBS and DEs, not the corners, if I were in charge.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | January 4, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I think carolina would trade down if they got the right combo of players and picks! I could see them taking our 1st, 2nd(cause the pats have theirs), fred davis and fat al and the skins end up with the top pick and a 3rd(since the saints have ours)! I think it would be worth it to land a qb as good as Luck! I think newton ends up staying put and will be the top pick next year and become the next Jamarcus russel! I think the cowgirls get rid of romo and take big tex ryan mallet, I just think the cowboys are ready to move past romo!

Posted by: warriorking111285 | January 4, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | January 4, 2011 5:18 PM | Report abuse
______

Sorry, I obviously read your post wrong, as you are clearly advocating anything but an interior O-lineman or TE. A thousand pardons....

Posted by: skinsfan713 | January 4, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Everyone hates Duke.

Posted by: p1funk | January 4, 2011 3:56 PM

Damn, funk, I didn't realize you'd been denied admission at Duke, too. That must have been pretty tough for you, but it does explain why you ended up at Maryland. Well, don't feel bad. It's a very selective University. Even Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato were turned down.

Posted by: beep-beep | January 4, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | January 4, 2011 4:05 PM |

Explain to me how that's good for us since we have neither a 3rd nor a 4th?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 5:41 PM | Report abuse

"ESPN announcer Ron Franklin was fired by the network on Tuesday after making made a derogatory remark to sideline reporter Jeanne Edwards in a meeting before the Fiesta Bowl. Franklin had been pulled from the game's coverage after the incident.

Damn, he was the best. Seeing how Jeanne Edwards was a former jockey...I wonder if I said that she could mount my horse if I would catch any flack if I was employed by the four letter network?

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2011 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Everyone hates Duke.

Posted by: p1funk | January 4, 2011 3:56 PM

Uh oh, Duck peed in someone's Wheaties. A racist institution huh? Just pissed off because they rule the college basketball league with white guys? I believe the so called "victim" came clean that she lied. Hope to never see you on a jury.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 5:45 PM

Ruled with white guys? That's laughable. The best player on their b2b championship teams was Grant Hill. Ever heard of Thomas Hill, Brian Davis, and Antonio Lang. The best players on their 2001 championship team were Boozer, Jay Williams, and Battier. While dook has had very good white players (and some overhyped ones like Laettner), Coach K has always surrounded them with a corps of very good black players.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 4, 2011 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Figured I'd post this so that JReid could get his cut and paste on sometime tomorrow afternoon:

*******************************************
Redskins sign T S. Capers, DT R. Duncan, T X. Fulton, WR Taurus Johnson, RB S. McNeal, & WR Maurice Price to reserve/futures contracts.
*******************************************

Didn't find anything on Cook yet.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2011 5:44 PM

She would sue you for misrepresenting a foal as a horse.

Posted by: beep-beep | January 4, 2011 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 4, 2011 5:57 PM

(note to learnedhand: I'm just tryin' to stir his pot a little...)

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Cook is a 53er so no need for reserve/future contract.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 6:03 PM | Report abuse

My hate for Duke is only surpassed by Dallas.

I despise Coach Krzyzewsk but his teams don't lack of diversity. What's lacking is that even with a top 3 recruiting class year in and year out he hasn't won more or put more quality players into the league.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2011 6:06 PM | Report abuse

If Harbaugh leaves Stanford for the NFL he's lost his mind. His players at Stanford are bright and can learn and play his system. Where in the NFL would he find this? Be careful what you wish for Harbaugh.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 4, 2011 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I was looking at Jeff Fishers record and wondering why the guy is so valued as a coach, he has coached the same team for 16 years.

He has 6 winning seasons

He has 6 playoff wins

If he coached here the fans would have wanted him fired after his first season.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2011 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 4, 2011 6:06 PM |

His job is not to put players into the NBA it's to win College basketball games which by the middle of next year he will have done better then any coach in history.

He has done this with some of the hardest academic requirements in the country.

Yeh he sucks.

11 final fours

4 National championships

3 losing seasons in 31 years

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2011 6:19 PM | Report abuse

He has 6 winning seasons

He has 6 playoff wins

If he coached here the fans would have wanted him fired after his first season.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2011 6:09 PM |

He's mediocre at best...I've been saying it for years up here.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 4, 2011 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 4, 2011 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Malcomb Kelly got a papercut reading this article. And he read it online.

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | January 4, 2011 8:41 PM | Report abuse

he's got one more chance. i'm rooting for him because it looks like he's really putting in the work.

Posted by: destewar | January 6, 2011 11:24 AM | Report abuse