Malcolm Kelly must heal, but quickly, says Keenan McCardell

Redskins wide receivers coach Keenan McCardell has made things clear to Malcolm Kelly, who has been sidelined since early in training camp because of a hamstring injury.

Kelly still has time to impress Coach Mike Shanahan in his bid to make the opening 53-man roster, but it's getting late in the process. Of course, Kelly must first heal properly, and that's part of the problem.

"There's a lot of football left. There's a lot of evaluation still left," McCardell said the other day. "The thing he has to do is get healthy and be out here. We've got to see him to evaluate him. That's what we keep stressing and I keep stressing. What I tell him is, 'You've got to be healthy, and I understand that. But you've got to be out here to be evaluated, too.' It's a new staff. They want to see what you can do now. Not what you've done in the past.

"I think he understands that and he's trying as hard as he can to get healthy as fast as possible. I hope it's real soon. I really do. ... Everybody says the practices are getting short, and they are, so he just has to come out and be on top of his game. He has to come out and show us that, 'Yeah, I've missed some time, but I'm on top of my game. I'm mentally into it, and I was really into it when I was hurt, so now I'll just let my talent come out.' "

Is Kelly among the Redskins' best 53 players?

"He has the talent to be," McCardell said. "He's more than talented enough to be one of the 53. He wouldn't have been a second-round pick if he didn't have that type of talent. You don't pass that type of talent in the draft. I just hope he comes back healthy soon and ready to go."

By Jason Reid  |  August 19, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Malcolm Kelly , wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Court appearance kept Fred Davis from practice
Next: Donovan McNabb knows he has plenty of room for improvement

Comments

Even if Kelly doesn't heel enough before the 53 cutdown, I would feel that the Skins would have to keep him. It isn't so much that he is unproven and other teams would snatch in a second.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Even though I have heard that Marko Mitchell had a bad work ethic, but I don't know whether that is true or not.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2010 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Did not Kelly tweak his hammy at McNabb's offseason hulabu anyway?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2010 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Larry, keep Marko's name out of your mouth. All that name does is bring the crazies on here crowing about how great he's doing in Minnesota and what a mistake it was to cut a guy who has exactly 0 catches for 0 yards and 0 TDs in his lofty, future HoF career...

Kelly does need to get healthy. He'll need to be as close to full strength as he can get so that he can pass a physical after he passes thru waivers...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2010 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood26, Kelly won't make it through waivers, injured or not. Some team will take him in a heartbeat.

Also, Keenan must not take any prisoners, for haven't it been indicated that even Thomas does not have a lock on the 53 yet?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Larry, you overrate Kelly...I'm sure the line won't be long for a guy with 28 career catches and lacks downfield speed. My guess is this guy will be out of football by 2012.

Most coaches don't have patience for a guy who can't stay healthy. Plus with this CBA uncertainty, no owner is going to be interested in paying a guy to sit on IR with an injury he didn't suffer on his team.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

I think the team has to go with the receivers that have proven themselves in preseason games. There is no better evaluation than how the guy will do in a game with people hitting. When I see a guy like Terrence Austin reel in a pass for a first down, I say, there's a guy who can make plays. Conversely, when I see guys dropping balls in a game, their eyes shifting to see who is going to hit them before they ever get the ball in their hands, or them growing alligator arms when a ball is thrown in traffic, I say to myself that there's a guy the team doesn't need. It doesn't matter if the guy goes on to do great things somewhere else. For today, the Redskins don't need him. I like consistency and play making in a receivers corps. They don't have to be big - although I think size helps you on those third down receptions in traffic - and they don't have to be speed demons. They need to come up with that big play when needed.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 19, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

kelly is in huge trouble. moss, galloway, and thomas are definitely making the team. and out of williams, wade, armstrong, banks, and austin... very good chance that at least two of them make the team ahead of kelly, probably three. that puts kelly at 6 or 7 right now, and if shanny keeps 4 tailbacks, even the 6th WR might not make the final squad.

he's going to have to show something significant in the preseason or he's done.

"Straight arrows on a crooked warpath."

Posted by: bcarothers | August 19, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2010 6:56 AM

Kelly's through in the league. He clears waivers because no one wants to pay him more than the league minimum. And, after that, at best, a team will take him after the first week because if he's on their opening day roster then they have to guarantee his salary for the whole year while he rehabs from his next hammie.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Not sure I agree with that, beeps. A hammy is not a career-threatening injury. There are teams out there that would commit to MK. Vikings would cut Marko in a heartbeat if they could pick up MK.

My only question is whether FD could play the same possession receiver that MK would play. But if we could get CC, FD, DT and MK lined up on third and 4, that would be pretty powerful. Four receivers 6'2" and over.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 19, 2010 7:24 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

"Most coaches don't have patience for a guy who can't stay healthy."

True is that.

Kelly has had nothing but a career of injury and rehab since he's been a redskin.

He could get healthy, become a player you depend, then injured all over again.

Me?: I'll take a chance on Austin, Armstrong, Banks, and Thomas.

Put those 4 in the 53 and let go of the 1 you can't depend on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 19, 2010 7:26 AM | Report abuse

fritz, keep in mind that Kelly has a chronic knee problem...I'd think that's more of a red flag than a lingering hamstring problem.

All the size and potential in the world means NOTHING if you can't stay healthy. Even the great Randy Moss can't catch passes from the sideline...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell is not a lock to make the Vikings final 53, we could sign him back!

Posted by: waqarish | August 19, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: waqarish | August 19, 2010 7:32 AM

Or, if you believe freddiefritz, we could trade them Kelly for Marko.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

I'd say show me something, but if you can't put your cleats in the turf, you don't belong on a team. Gone before 9/12.

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

M Kelly - "The Enigma"

Posted by: edvar | August 19, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me that Kelly should be a non story at this point. Either he gets healthy and shows a ton or he is the first player cut. I still dont see why we cant just waive him now. He didnt even suffer his hammy injury with the team it was training privately, apparently a very hellish training session.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 19, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

(self-post)

Me?: I'll take a chance on Austin, Armstrong, Banks, and Thomas

The argument for placing for developing receivers on this year's roster:

--3 of the 4 can help in the return game

--if they play well, it allows you a position of strength should you also decide to re-up S Moss

--receiver stops being a priority at the to of next year's draft as you have 4 young guys already (right tackle/guard and linebacker are real issues for us)

--3 of the 4 have sub 4.4 speed: and the skins need speed

--a mature q-back like McNabb will grow in the offense right along with them

--finally, when you through the also developing F Davis into the picture (and a still in his prime CC), the team suddenly features youth, speed, and versitility moving forward with its passing group

And if MK proves he can remain healthy to apart of this, well, we're even better off.

M Furrey, B Wade, R Williams: seeya!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 19, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

The spelling and grammar are both off this morning.

Sorry 'bout dat.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 19, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Receivers blocking down field figure prominently in Shanny's plan, so that must be figured in as well.

Posted by: edvar | August 19, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | August 19, 2010 7:52 AM

You don't cut him now because you want to give him every chance to make it. There's no deadline right now and it's not like he's killing the locker room. Let him get healthy, let him show his stuff. It's only smart to keep him for now to see whether he's better than any of the guys playing now.

That said, I think his inability to practice will put him behind the 8-ball and hurt his chances of being high enough on the depth chart to stick around. Remember...dude doesn't play special teams. So basically he's gotta be the #2 WR or nothing at all.

I think he's closer to nothing at all.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

In all honesty we have given him every chance to make it, the dude is a lost cause.

Moe agree with keeping those young kids. It helps to have Davis who i see as more of a WR anyways and Cooley as legitimate pass catchers.
With the exception of Williams(due to inactivity from injuries) we fully know the limitation on the other WRs especially Wade and Furrey and the ceiling on them is not comparable to the younger guys.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 19, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Put Kelly on injured reserve and get him on a program to heal him up for good; then evaluate him next year.
Early on Santana had leg issues that kept him from playing. That's one of the reasons the Jets were willing to trade him.

Posted by: thinjon | August 19, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

You don't cut him now because you want to give him every chance to make it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2010 7:59 AM

I think you do cut him now -- or as soon as he's healthy. In two years in the league he's shown that he can't stay healthy. Even if he lights it up in the last two preseason games, you don't want someone on your roster with his injury history. You can't count on him. Time to move on.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

stu27

"...we fully know the limitation on the (older) other WRs especially Wade and Furrey and the ceiling on them is not comparable to the younger guys."

Agreed.

But remember: the young guys have their limitations, too.

So maybe you keep Galloway around in a ARE role.

Now, what might upset any of this is if vet receiver gets cut at the end of the preseason.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 19, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: thinjon | August 19, 2010 8:22 AM

He's been on this program since he came into the league. In the end, this is a call for an MD who's examined Kelly and is familiar with his medical history.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

M Kelly - "The Enigma"

Posted by: edvar | August 19, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

What is so enigmatic about Kelly?

I think it's pretty clear. He's an injury-prone guy who hasn't been very impressive even when healthy.

Spending a second-round pick on him doesn't make him "enigmatic"; it only makes him a costly mistake.

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: thinjon | August 19, 2010 8:22 AM

I don't think there is a magic potion or program to turn a non-durable player into a durable one. MK is toast. He is fragile (fra-gee-lay), and as we have previously seen, slow and a poor route runner. Size is great, but it ain't everything (that's what she said).
-Michael Scott

Posted by: HokiesSkins | August 19, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me that if we dont keep Galloway, which by EVERY indication I have seen we will keep him then we would keep Williams or some other Vet. Shanny like a lot of seasoned coaches always prefers vets especially at a position like receiver.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 19, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

About Darrion Scott: like Jarmon, he was a 3rd round pick, only in 2004. He became a starter with the Vikes his second year and led the club with 5.5 sacks. He's here in Washington because of Haslett. So it shouldn't be a surprise that he's good; he's been good before.

The reason he's a FA is 1) injury history, and 2) bunch of legal troubles in '07 or '08. Included a 3 game league suspension.

All that will come into the discussion at cut time. He obviously hopes that even if he doesn't make it here, he'll demonstrate enough to get picked up by another club.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Kelly's done.

The nail in the coffin is going to be the fact that he brings nothing on special teams - That means he's only worth keeping if he's going to be a starter.

Which he is not.

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: thinjon | August 19, 2010 8:22 AM

-Michael Scott

Posted by: HokiesSkins | August 19, 2010 8:28 AM

I think its time to cut bait...but I know there are many cases where players shake the injury bug and go on to have nice careers...I just can't think of any this early in the morning...oh...fred taylor for one.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Kelly is injured so much that I can't even see him getting on in a minor league. The guy reminds me of that great kicker we had from the Jetskins era Hall, guy just always got injured despite a lack of any contact.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

"Shanny like a lot of seasoned coaches always prefers vets especially at a position like receiver.Posted by: Stu27"

True. Coaches like to say that nothing kills your career like rookies. Obviously an exaggeration in light of recent performances by people like Mark Sanchez. But there's still some truth to it. I imagine it was traumatic for Shanahan to let Clady start in Denver, but that success paved the way for Trent Williams.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Fragile Freddy showed everyone that he had big game when he was healthy...can't say the same for poor Malcolm...

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

buh bye

Posted by: kone | August 19, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

"Kelly is injured so much that I can't even see him getting on in a minor league.Posted by: alex35332"

I'm not sure that's strictly true. He's picked the absolute worst times to get hurt, especially something like a pulled hamstring. We've seen that happen to players before -- they get cut from one club because they supposedly can't stay healthy, then come back to play well somewhere else.

Them's the breaks.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 8:38 AM

I know...bad example...but Fred was kinda given up on.

Doubt it will happen...but it will make me sick to see MK blow up down the line somewhere else.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Them's the breaks.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2010 8:40 AM

Not sure who you have in mind. More often we see them cut by one team, picked up by another, re-injured, then gone. This is a call for an MD, not us bloggers.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Fred Taylor came up simply huge in his senior bowl game. "carrying 43 times for 234 yards as Florida ran over Penn State, 21-6, before a crowd of 72,940 at the Citrus Bowl."

MK couldnt get healthy enough to play in his bowl games. That alone should have been a red flag. But ol Vinny was like a bull around red flags...

Posted by: Stu27 | August 19, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Put Kelly on PUP. By week six he might be healthy and someone else may be tweaked. If he serves no purpose at that time, waive him.

Posted by: wireman65 | August 19, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

FDavis = Incompetent

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

"Even if Kelly doesn't heel enough before the 53 cutdown, I would feel that the Skins would have to keep him."

No they don't.

Who cares if he was a 2nd round pick, he has shown NOTHING since he's been here.

They won't miss him one bit and it's not fair to the guys who have been here and done everything the coaching staff has asked.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | August 19, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | August 19, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Fred Taylor also simply came up huge his first year in the league.

1600+ combo yards and 17 TDs, and he only started 12 games.

That's a draft pick that you hold onto and rehab...

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

But ol Vinny was like a bull around red flags...

Posted by: Stu27 | August 19, 2010 8:44 AM |

This wasn't just Vinny. Remember that Snyder fired up Redskins One and flew out to Norman, Oklahoma the day before the draft. Snyder, Vinny, Zorn watched JC throw passes to Kelly and fell in love with him. One of the low points of a low period in Redskins history.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Galloway is a little like Jerry Rice in that he's one of those rare folks who kept his speed as he got older. Not that Rice was ever a burner, but he wasn't appreciably slower at 38 than he was at 32. Keenan McCardell is another -- you kept thinking he was too old to play, and there he was putting up the numbers in the game. Galloway was faster than either as a young player and is not a whole lot slower now. And like the other two he manages to be in the right spot when the QB looks his way.

But the key to an aging receiver is health. Risk of injury does go up. Joey has been healthy through camp, and that's a major difference.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

The only things likely to blow up down the line are MK's knees...

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wireman65 | August 19, 2010 8:44 AM

That requires you to pay his salary for the full year. Not good value.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | August 19, 2010 7:57 AM |

We don't even know if he can run a route, let alone block downfield ! Cut Kelly and move on. If 2 out of the 3 Cerrato picks make the roster, let's call it a miracle.

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

The player who kept his speed more than any other IMO is Darrell Green. No way to compare, but he might have been the real freak athlete of the last couple generations -- in any sport.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Samson151

Here is what convinces me that Kelley's playing career is over. Has Kelley ever been injured in a game? No. Its always in practices, and Zorn and Shanahan run a program that is supposed to focus on not getting guys burned or hurt in camp.

If Kelly gets hurt in a camp like that, he will end up in the hospital under a harder coach.

If I were he, I would be looking to go to a different area of Football, but I don't know if he is smart enough to coach or scout.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

One of the low points of a low period in Redskins history.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Yes it was.

I also remember hearing about Vinny and Snydes gassing up Redskins 1 and taking the trip to go see Colt McCoy play - my reaction? "Crap."

Luckily Danny had his come-to-Jesus moment around that time and decided to can Vinny.

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Luckily Danny had his come-to-Jesus moment ...

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 8:55 AM

I'm thinking that this particular term may not be kosher.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

The only things likely to blow up down the line are MK's knees...

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

My recollection is that MK's knees have not been a problem since he had microsurgery. He didn't get much PT last year, because JZ didn't trust him. We still have two weeks to see if he can get on the field. Let's not throw him under the bus just yet. If I were to cut him, it wouldn't be until the final cut, to give him time.

And no, beeps, I would not trade him for Marko. I feel the Vikes would, tho.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 19, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Samson151

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express, and so I'll throw in my worthless medical opinion -

Recurring hamstring injuries can be attributed to many things, but one of them is when overstrain is placed on the muscle to stabilize a damaged knee. In that case, getting rid of the problem has to do with healing the damaged knee as opposed to the muscle itself.

Kelly has lived under the knife getting knee surgeries, and going under the knife creates other problems for the area that required the surgery to begin with.

Bottom line - as long as Kelly has bum knees, he's going to have bum hamstrings...and he already has bum knees.

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

"A player is not allowed to be placed on the PUP list if they start training camp on the active roster, even if they take part in only the first few minutes of the first practice."

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 19, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Luckily Danny had his come-to-Jesus moment ...

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 8:55 AM

I'm thinking that this particular term may not be kosher.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

JC was a Jew, bro!

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

And I am no medical expert either, but I do have a bad knee (Though admittedly never gonna get surgery on it). I don't think a bad knee will never be back 100%.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

JC was a Jew, bro!

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 9:04 AM |

Long haired, pot smoking dude!

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

JC was a Jew, bro!

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 9:04 AM

Yeah, as are the Jews for Jesus.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wireman65 | August 19, 2010 8:44 AM

That requires you to pay his salary for the full year. Not good value.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse
PUP is not an option. MK was in camp on day 1, so he is not eligible.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 19, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

JC was a Jew, bro!

Posted by: p1funk | August 19, 2010 9:04 AM |

Long haired, pot smoking dude!

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 9:08 AM

No way the redskins former starting quarterback who was recently traded to the raiders is Jewish.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

"Cutting Kelly once again gives up on the 2nd of three receivers that the old regime I feel should get some credit for."

LarryInClintonMD.

Snyderatto gets ZERO credit from me for the three receiving second-rounders until one or more of them actually DOES something in games that count. Davis and Thomas have flashed, but that alone doesn't justify their being picked where they were.

Having said that, we can't just give in to our frustration at Kelly and cut him before we get an idea about how he can perform with a new QB and in a new system. It's not like this team is awash in WR talent. We need to see what he can do with a better QB and better coaching before we just let him go.

Posted by: rufus_t_firefly | August 19, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for posting this.

I find it amazing how fast people want to believe now that Snyder didn't have a hand in player decisions that led to 4-12.

This is because Snyder is currently on a PR offensive to get us to believe those were all Vinny's calls back then. Truth states otherwise. You won't hear yes it's a "different direction" now because Vinny and I made it FUBAR. Instead you hear, "I wasn't as involved as people made it out to be."

Come clean d-bag. You tried to run the team with Vinny as you sidekick because you thought you knew what you were doing and you didn't and made a big stinky mess. You should never be allowed anywhere near a personnel decision again ever.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 19, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, as are the Jews for Jesus.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Back in the old days we used to just call them Christians.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I just can’t buy into Joey Galloway playing for the Skins…..watched him decline over the years and then play in a few games for the Pats last year and the guy was worse than awful. I can see keeping him til the 53 man cutdown b/c of leadership/work ethic etc, but IMO if he doesn’t make some plays in the pre-season games he is a waste of a roster spot.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 19, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, as are the Jews for Jesus.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 9:10 AM |

Saw that on a bumper sticker, a van full of Jewish Christians.

Jewish Christians = oxymoron

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 19, 2010 9:12 AM |

Don't get me started on $nyder, please.

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 19, 2010 9:12 AM

So what? Who cares whether is was Dan, Vinny, or the two of them together?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 19, 2010 9:13 AM

I didn't see the full pattern on the long ball to him friday night...but Joey was way past the the 2 DBs.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | August 19, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Only Jewish Athlete in DC is Jason Marquis. And from what I can find on wikipedia there have only been 52 pro football players who were Jewish. 1 is in the HOF....

However that is more then made up for by the fact that there are 103 sports team owners that were Jewish.

Thats how we play to win.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 19, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

So what? Who cares whether is was Dan, Vinny, or the two of them together?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I dunno, because one of them is still with us?

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 19, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Jewish Christians = oxymoron

Posted by: hessone

Today: yes,maybe

Way back in the day = One and the same....since Jesus and the disciples were all Jews.

Posted by: Predator48 | August 19, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

So what? Who cares whether is was Dan, Vinny, or the two of them together?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 9:19 AM |

I care, and you should to. Take last year for example, 4-12. $nyder has made some welcomed decisions since last year, but he's not out of the woods yet. A decade of $nyder still hasn't sunk into some folks heads. HTTR

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Jewish Christians = oxymoron

Posted by: hessone

Today: yes,maybe

Posted by: Predator48 | August 19, 2010 9:25 AM |

That would mean they were Jews, and not Christians. Jesus Christ !

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

A decade of $nyder still hasn't sunk into some folks heads

so what, other than your incessant whining about it can be done at this point?? whats in the past, is in the past, Vinny is gone, Dan has taken a back seat....stop beating the dead horse, I mean the dust of the dead horse, I mean the remaining DNA of the dust of the dead horse......

I'll call around up here in Mass and see if anyone can fix the flux capacitor...we'll go back in time and right this ship by golly...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

he$$one, let it go. You'll revert to your former whack-a-doodle status. Even if we knew who did what in the Snyder/Cerrato era, it has nothing to do with what's going on now. All that matters is what Snyder is doing in 2010, not what he did the day Kelly was drafted.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 19, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

^hot tub

Posted by: RedDMV | August 19, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

A decade of $nyder still hasn't sunk into some folks heads

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 19, 2010 9:31 AM |

That would mean that all the chat about MKelly making the roster is beating a dead horse. Read folks comments with an open mind. I personally haven't commented on $nyder since you gave me sh!t about using a dollar sign, instead of an S, at the beginning of his name.

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Beep

Posted by: hessone | August 19, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, the DNA of the dust of a dead horse...? Has it even been nine months yet? You've clearly forgotten this is the guy who fired Marty S. after one season because he wanted to get personnel decisions out of his hands. ONE SEASON.

Yes Redskins Park is littered with the DNA of the dust many dead horses but possibility of Dan Snyder's never dies (we should worry at a minimum for 5 years, ten to fifteen would represent a safer bet).

I'd feel better about genuine, lasting change if he came clean about the past though.

Posted by: Pepper5 | August 19, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to raise a practical question at this point: Are we doing 'Stonehenge'?

...no, seriously:

How much guaranteed scratch are DT & MK counting against the 'capless' cap this season? After shelling out for AH, do we really want to throw good guaranteed money after bad?

Depending upon the answer to that question, we should or should not take a chance on someone else.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 19, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Season ending Injured Reserve is an option - especially in the uncapped year. I think its likely where he'll end up, if not cut. It makes little sense to cut him if he really does have talent - this year at least.

And btw, the first christians were Jews (and likely a few Philistines), who weren't forced to convert by threat of death by the Roman Empire when a more convenient religion for keeping their minions docile arose.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 19, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Another wasted pick...paying him to get open and catch balls - he can't do that from the trainer's table for the past two years.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | August 19, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

"More often we see them cut by one team, picked up by another, re-injured, then gone. This is a call for an MD, not us bloggers.
Posted by: beep-beep"

Well, any discussion of health is a call for an MD. But if you've spent much time around docs, you know they disagree, particularly when it comes to prognosis. Somebody said that significant injuries can also lead to problems in other areas, and that's true. I haven't heard of knee repairs increasing risk for ham pulls, but I suppose it's possible. A more common cause would be stressing the leg when the repair isn't yet completely rehabbed. Athletes do that in their eagerness to compete.

I'm not sure what grade Kelly's hamstring pull was, but if McCardell is pushing him to practice, it's probably close to healed. The player might be scared of reinjuring it. It's a complicated psychology with such injuries.

If the question is, could he come back and play at a high level this season, I'd be very surprised if the medical opinion is anything but yes. Of course, there are a limited number of roster spots out there, and we don't really know how good the player is.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

How exactly does the PUP list work. Is that an option with Kelly to avoid having to cut him outright and buying another year to evaluate? Just hate to see a guy with such potential end up somewhere else.

Posted by: db73 | August 19, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

db73 -

Once a player is put on PUP, they're done for the season. I don't think they are able to practice with the team at all; just rehab.

Back in the day, JG woulod stash a ton of players - especially the wasted draft picks of the 80s - for years with minor injuries.

Yes, there were wasted draft picks in the 80s - Bob Slater, Wally Kleine, and more than a few others. The keys to our run came through the 1980 - 1983 drafts, with the 1981 draft being one of the best drafts (in hindsight) that any team has ever had. 1983 wasn't a bad draft either - Green and Mann with the last picks in the first and second round respectively.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | August 19, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Kelly seems to lead the team in sitting on the bench due to injuries. Cut him. Pick up another WR that gets cut in the upcoming weeks and move on. Oh, and tell that fat ass Haynseworth to drink some water before hitting the field. How much real time has that guy actually put into training camp; 20 mins???

Posted by: SorrySkins | August 19, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | August 19, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

We could still see Kelly make the 53 man roster and play a few games, then get put on IR, which would open up a spot for whoever stuck with the practice squad.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 19, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

You know I have to admit, always being injured does lend credence to cutting Kelly. But, on the other hand, if he never has healed back to 100%, due we try to stash him and take a chance that he really can play?

Do we have that luxury? At first I thought, we have to keep him but like a lot of you are saying, you can't produce if you are always hurt and we may have given him enough time to heal.

It would be a tough pill to swallow, if he finally heals somewhere's else and the injuries he's been through here doesn't reoccur. He then becomes the receiver we thought.

Do we have the luxury to keep waiting on him to heal for good is probably the real question???

In view of the comments above, we may not.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell of the Minnesota Vikings caught a 71 yard touchdown pass (go to nfl.com game highlights and check it out)that was under thrown. He pushed off a would be tackler and ran the last 20 yds untouched. Shanahan's first mistake was letting him go. Detroit the same because he couldn't help them on special teams. Washington and Detroit two wide receiver powerhouses.

Posted by: Weave160 | August 19, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Kelly was drafted by Vinny with the Redskins fully knowing he had a bad knee that would require surgery. He fell behidn the 8 ball during his first season as the Redskins continued to push to get him on the field when he really needed to have surgery and rehab. I personally look at last season as his rookie year, but Shanahan likely looks at any player drafted by Vinny as needing to prove they have value.

Given the number of other available options in camp, I can't see the Redskins carrying Kelly on the 53-man roster unless he is healthy and able to contribute during preseason. That looks more doubtful with every passing week. Kelly has worked hard but I don't see it working out here for him. It might be to his advantage to be released and allow a team that has some roster spots open at WR to pick him up.

Posted by: wizfan89 | August 19, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Weave160,

Good observation re: Wash and Detroit, but is there any truth to the rumor that Mitchell was a slacker while here and that is why Shanny sent him packing?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"Detroit the same because [Marko Mitchell] couldn't help them on special teams. Washington and Detroit two wide receiver powerhouses.Posted by: Weave160"

LOL the Skins aren't a WR powerhouse, but that's probably Detroit's strongest area. Calvin Johnson is probably the NFC's most talented receiver. He's a clear #1. Nate Burleson caught 63 balls in only 12 starts at Seattle last year (average of 5+ per game). He's only 29. Bryant Johnson and Dennis Northcutt are reliable backups, if both stick. And they've also got Brian Clark and Derrick Williams, who are special teams standouts.

That's why I couldn't understand how they got together with Marko. Minny is a better option for him.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

"Why can't people face the truth? Kelly is clearly, and sadly for the Redskins, a bust.
Posted by: clandestinetomcat"

Maybe because it quite possibly isn't true. You notice the team docs aren't the ones with the dour prognosis. Kelly's definitely got injury problems, but right now there's no reason to think he couldn't return to health at some point, and play effectively.

Kelly's problem is he's a 3rd year player who's never made an impact in the NFL. That's a formula for getting cut.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2010 11:11 AM

I think you've hit on it in your expla' about how Detroit is stacked. Apparently, they know a WR talent when they see one and brought him in for a look see.

Kinda like having the best stable in town, but you can't keep them all.

Good stuff.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | August 19, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2010 8:32 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

scott also has a history of violance and underachieving... if he gets cuts his nfl career is over...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | August 19, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: clandestinetomcat"

Posted by: Samson151 | August 19, 2010 11:16 AM
==========================================

This is his 3rd season, and his 3rd training camp where he can't practice because he's hurt.

First year was the knee which Cerrato knew about when he drafted him.

2nd year was the hamstring.

3rd year (now) is again the hamstring.

As far as I'm concerned he's worse than Taylor Jacobs. At least Jacobs was able to practice so that the starters had someone good to go up against during workouts.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | August 19, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey LarryInClintonMD

Did a little more digging (older Post article Shanahan didn't like his route running and coming out of his breaks. Which pretty much says he just didn't like him. He's still a fourth or 5th option with Minnesota but with there receivers often injured he might have a decent shot if he keeps playing this well.

Posted by: Weave160 | August 19, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Kelly was an underachiever at OU and's been a total bust for the Redskins. As soon as the team cuts Joey Galloway it should release Kelly also.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | August 19, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If Kelly is not playing in the third pre-season game then he's done. Other teams will be releasing receivers close to his caliber (pardon the pun) after the third pre-season game. If we do pick someone up then size does matter, because we need a possesion receiver or we put Cooley in his spot and line up Davis at TE.

Posted by: classicskins | August 19, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, that's a wonderful message -- a player in injured, needs to heal, but he better risk that injury or not make the team.

Unless they think he is dogging it, in which case he should have already been gone.

This team may be risking a rather hefty lawsuit if Kelly goes out and tears something in the back of that thigh....

Posted by: JPMcC | August 19, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JPMcC | August 19, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Is it alleged that he is faking an injury? Otherwise, I don't get the message. One can't will oneself to be healthy. Coaches are just great at talking out both sides of their mouths - be healthy, but get out there regardless.

Posted by: michaelmagnus9 | August 19, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

kelly is on a short pier, and he's in for that long walk. shanahan is letting it be known that he is not tied to marginal players. by marginal, i mean a player with potential, that for whatever reason can't get on the field. i don't see shanahan as one of those people who hold on to a player that has potential, especially one he didn't select himself. kelly has a day or two at best to get on the field and show something or he's off the chart.

Posted by: joerutgens72 | August 19, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: michaelmagnus9 | August 19, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

As much as I want it to work out with Kelly and the skins, I can't take this always injured crap anymore. He is obviously too brittle to be a force in this league. I think the UFL is the place for him. This injury will linger all season long and he can't get the treatment he needs to fix it, because it's illegal, just ask Santana and Marcus Washington.

Posted by: manbrute | August 19, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for the Malcolm Kelly watch to end. No talent, no speed, no NFL toughness. Cut, picked up on waivers for the league minimum and out of the league next year.

Posted by: SadHoo | August 19, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys we're only at the 2nd pre-season game-Shanahan has some time to make a decision and so does Kelly.
The more I read the Redskins Insider the more I think the writers aren't Redskin fans at all. I mean really, does the RI ever have anything good to say about any player not named Lorenzo Alexander?
Rookie LB Perry Riley made a couple of good plays, I have waited all week and the RI has said nothing about him.
Now we're supposed to believe Kelly has arrived at judgement day w/Shanahan before the 2nd pre-season game!
No matter your opinion of Kelly pro or con-it's BEFORE second preseaon game!

To quote Bill Parcells- The Redskin Insider is "subversive from within".

Posted by: ArmchairGM | August 19, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

@Shovelplease
~~
You're on the mark about Kelly @ OU. I would go a bit farther. Not many of the recent few OU WRs/skill players that are in the NFL have had notable careers.

Oklahoma