Malcolm Kelly to practice Monday, play Thursday

Redskins wide receiver Malcolm Kelly -- out all but one day of preseason workouts with a strained hamstring -- went through the team's light jog-through Sunday morning and will test the injury in earnest during Monday's practice with hopes of making a preseason appearance, and earning a roster spot, Thursday night at Arizona.

"I feel it can be a big night," Kelly said. "If I'm 100 percent go, it should be a good night. We'll just see. [Monday] will be the true test. It's cool to run one or two times, but then when it starts fatiguing, and then you still have to go run, then it's the true test to see where it's at."

Kelly did not make the trip to New Jersey for Friday night's game at the New York Jets. Rather, he remained behind, running pass routes at Redskins Park on Thursday, running on the treadmill on Friday and returning to run more pass routes Saturday.

"He's ready to practice [Monday], and hopefully there won't be a set-back there," Coach Mike Shanahan said. "He feels like he can go full-speed. He's made some cuts. So hopefully he's full-speed, ready to go, and gets a chance to play against Arizona."

Asked if one preseason game would be enough time for Kelly to show the coaching staff what he can do, Shanahan said: "Hopefully it is, because that's what we got left."

The injury originally occurred when Kelly and other Redskins receivers were working out in Arizona with quarterback Donovan McNabb, part of McNabb's "Hell Week" that precedes training camp. Kelly said Sunday, though, that he believes he strained the hamstring because he didn't properly stretch before a workout. He had become too comfortable, he said, with a body that he had always been told was extraordinarily flexible.

"I think I just have to stretch a lot more," Kelly said. "When I feel like I'm stretched, I have to stretch that much more after that just to get everything flowing."

As he did work on the side of practice sessions, and sat out the first three preseason games, the situation wore on Kelly. He was inactive for 11 games in 2008, his rookie season, because of a knee problem, and though he played in all 16 games a year ago, he caught just 25 balls for 347 yards -- with five of those catches and 109 of those yards in a season-ending loss at San Diego.

"I mean, it's been frustrating, you know what I'm saying?" Kelly said. "But I can just do what I can once I get out there. It's crazy, too, because you know the first year with the whole knee injury, that's a bad injury. You get a nick like this, it's real frustrating. I don't know, man. That's part of it. It's something you just got to deal with it."

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 29, 2010; 2:30 PM ET
Categories:  Malcolm Kelly , Mike Shanahan , preseason games , wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth & Shanahan: Redskins' budding buddy comedy
Next: Devin Thomas on his status: 'I don't really know'

Comments

You have to wonder if there's some minor trade value for some of these Washington WRs. St Louis is obviously in need of help, and despite acquiring Camarillo, so is Minnesota. I see Cincinnati just let Antonio Bryant go, although he won't be ready to play for quite a while, and the Jets cut Laveraneus Coles who has threatened to retire.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

repost from the comedy report

Something seems fishy with this whole DT11 saga.

Is he being protected as BA tries to get something done with the Chargers for a certain WR? DT and a pick for VJax?

I'm on record as saying DT is not the brightest bulb, but on the other hand, the kid is a physical specimen with a very high ceiling if it ever all just "clicks".

He has way to much upside (and value) to just send on his merry way without gettin' a little something something for him in return.

Yes maybe I'm the one with the low wattage on this, but is the motivate DT to get his caca together kubuki still going full bore? The AH saga has played out pretty much according to the obvious script... right from the get go. AH was always going to be a starter come week one after having achieved "salvation" on the Shanny cross.

Is this whole DT thing really to be taken at face value? Or is there something else cooking? I'm perplexed.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

2 words for Kelly... "Buh" & "Bye".

You've shown nothing in 2.2 years. What a waste of a 2nd round pick! Don't injure yourself at McDonalds when you're taking out the trash or cooking fries.

One partial 4th preseason game isn't enough to convince anyone you're NFL ready.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | August 29, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Thought it worth quoting from Boz' column on Thursday, about the Skins' chances this season:

"In the last 20 years, 18 teams that went 4-12 switched coaches. Their average record the next season was 7-9...Since '90, there have been 54 teams that lost 11 or more games, then got a new coach before the next season. How many made the playoff the first year? Ten of 54, or just 19 percent."

Boz goes on to note that of 115 coaching changes since '90, 19% improved 5 wins by year two. "When [Shanahan] first became Denver's head coach, he inherited a respectable 7-9 team, then improved to 8-8 and 13-3. With John Elway at quarterback - between the age of 36 and 38 - Shanahan went 39-9."

"...another one of those coaches who performed a five-win transformation on a losing team within two years was Joe Gibbs. ...Gibbs II... took the Redskins from 5-11 - the year before he arrived - to a 10-6 playoff team in '05 and another playoff visit in '07."

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

r u kidding? MK gets to go against the scrubs that won'r make the final roster to look good? He is terrible.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | August 29, 2010 2:46 PM

...and anyone who's played for Jim Zorn for two years and has shown nothing surely has nothing.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Doubt that any wr needy teams think about calling the Skins

Posted by: coparker5 | August 29, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Doubt that any wr needy teams think about calling the Skins

Posted by: coparker5 | August 29, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

MK12 is not terrible. He was a terrible Draft Choice, but he is not a terrible player. Big difference in my mind. What he is is a guy with tantalizing upside, who can't stay on the field. Zorn never used him right... 'nuff said there.

Shanny is smart enough to wait and see if he can run, move, catch, excel against the probable competition in AZ. Shanny shut him down and said "get your leg right and you will get your shot". Its put up or shut up time, but i still think MK12 is a player. We'll see.

I know this, JG is not the answer.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Doubt that any wr needy teams think about calling the Skins

Posted by: coparker5

truer words were never spoken

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Doubt that any wr needy teams think about calling the Skins

Posted by: coparker5

truer words were never spoken

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2010 2:56 PM

No, make that "falser words were never spoken." Reid reported a few days ago that teams have called the 'Skins about Devin Thomas.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I know this, JG is not the answer.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

hope you are right, but would have liked to see him against players that will actually be on the regular season roster. Usually the 4th preseason game has few of those guys going all out.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Nobody got anything on DT11?

A) Face value
B) Kubuki
C) Something cooking with him being dangled

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

And THIS is why you do not ever rush back from a hamstring. Missing all of training camp and 3 preseason games because of a hamstring at Hell Week? Seriously?

Posted by: Keiser | August 29, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 2:59 PM

Malcom Kelly is the answer.

Posted by: bandofwhom | August 29, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I know this, JG is not the answer.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse
co-sign on MK, Kaneohe. I was a little surprised about Galloway, tho. He still has enough speed to get open deep, and I was pleased with his hands. So I may have to eat crow about JG. I didn't think he would make roster 2 weeks ago.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 29, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

beep-beep

I don't think Reid has earned any benefit of the doubt with his reporting.

Still think other teams would consider oh, about ALL the other teams before contacting us for a WR. DT may be a kick/punt returner elsewhere

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Malcom Kelly is the answer.

Posted by: bandofwhom | August 29, 2010 3:01 PM

Coaches are eager to see him play. They say he has a lot of talent. But I think the bloggers up here are much better judges than Kyle Shanahan, don't you?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Reid has earned any benefit of the doubt with his reporting.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2010 3:04 PM

I have no idea what this means, but the way I see it is that if Reid reports anything then everyone in the league knew it two weeks ago.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is the greatest. Anyone that stomps a cowboy is ok in my book.

Posted by: shanteefamilee | August 29, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

If this were Facebook, I'd click the "Like" button. Speaking of, you wanna be my friend?

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 29, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 29, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 29, 2010 3:11 PM

Never friend anyone on RI. They'll get your e/m address and sell it to spammers. Speaking of, what is your e/m address?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm, we thank you for your trick knees, your gimpy hammy and all of your time in the training room. Please accept this parting fruit basket and our sincerest wishes for the future. And don't forget to turn in your playbook and join the Redskins Alumni Organization.

Sincerely,
Mike and Bruce

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 29, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Sincerely,
Mike and Bruce

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 29, 2010 3:16 PM

Malcolm, Would you like to buy four club-level season tickets at the 15% Redskins Alumni discount?

Sincerely,
Dan

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Look we could give bryant a shot as a third stringer and if he doesn't work out we can feed him to Haynesworth and tell we ain't never heard of no Antonio Bryant.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 29, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Shanahan is counting on MK completely overdoing it in a last ditch attempt to make the team. If he develops a more solid injury than this day to day hamstring business then it'll be easy to put him on IR.

We're probably better off cutting him, but I just don't think it's going to happen.

Posted by: snoopylad | August 29, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Sincerely,
Mike and Bruce

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 29, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Yep, that is one very obvious outcome.

Another is "Yes, jreid, MK did have another great game. Those four third down receptions to keep the drives alive were key, and of course he usually wins those jump balls in the endzone like that when we get down in the red zone. And don't forget he threw the key block on Santana's long TD play".

That's why he is getting a chance to get his leg right and all the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Sincerely,
Mike and Bruce

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 29, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

haha beep. you funny

Kanehoe- you think he'll make it? I say 20% chance.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 29, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I honestly don't know. All I know is WHY he is getting the shot, and why Shanny is showing the patience to give him a shot.

I do know this: Either MK12 or DT11 need to a)develop into bonafide week to week starters who can make plays, or b) get us something in return. Right now, both are seemingly at risk.

Although I'm also pretty sure that DM5, SM89 and JG would love to show a certain young team right up the 95 what old is and isn't.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

well said sir. good morning to ya out there. Hawaii in the World Series final?? Good luck boys!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 29, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Mahalo!

Hawaii in the LLWS, Ijsut flipped it on. It has momentarily knocked "wtf is going to happen with the WAC, and Colt Brennan, star back up for da raidahs" down a peg as lead stories on local sports blah blah blah.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

haha. just turned it on too. Till next time- adieu and g'luck from DC!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 29, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Kelly will be relying on Beck and Bartel so chances are neither he or Thomas have a big showing. Probably will be a bunch of 3-and-out posessions. Most likely Shanny will only be able to evaluate how Kelly runs his routes and whether he runs the correct routes. Kelly would have already been cut if he were 5-11. He is going to make the final roster just because he is 6-4.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 29, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse
Of the 6 projected wr's, if MK does not make it, the only one with size would be DT at 6'2", 223#. We do have CC at 6'3", 250#, and FD at 6'5", 255#. But they are not wr's. So coaches would like to keep MK, if he is healthy. They saw what he can do in OTA's, so they know what he is capable of doing.

Our other projected wr's are SM, 5'10" 209#, JG 5'11" 197#, AA 5'11" 182#, TA 5'11" 172#, and BB 5'7" 150#.

I think the coaches will want to keep MK if at all possible.

Posted by: frediefritz | August 29, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, FD is 6'4", not 6'5"

Posted by: frediefritz | August 29, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

At 6'4", Kelly is a tantalizing wide out.

But, uhhh, who wants to bet he's hurt by the end of the AZ game?

Best odds are on an ankle injury walking out the tunnel.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | August 29, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I think MK makes the cut, simply due to his size. It's a gamble for sure, but like Thomas there's a lot of upside if it pays off.

In other WR news, what are the odds that Shay Hodge gets some balls thrown his way Thursday night? Any point to that? It would be nice to have another receiver with a little height (he's listed at 6'2"), but given that he's only seen the field against Buffalo, and for no catches....p-squad?

Posted by: freakzilla | August 29, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Too many negative perception of D.Thomas and M.kelly. I wonder how some came to the conclusions indicated in their posts. I only listen to subject matter experts when confronted with a confusing scenario, in this case, let's review comment of the expert, directly involved with the two wide receivers:
Coach McCardell, 6-1, knows the advantages of height. He caught 883 passes, 63 for touchdowns.
“You’d love to have a big guy you can mold and a big guy who can play big and also be the finesse small guy too but that’s hard. Those are rare guys,” he says.
Kelly, going into his third season, could be that type of receiver. Devin Thomas, at 6-2 and 215 pounds, might as well. Shifting different types into an array of assignments may well be more of the direction the Redskins take.
So there’s some size. There’s speed.

Until the final cuts, I'm rooting for DT and MK.

Posted by: abxinc | August 29, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Way to hurt yourself by not stretching enough. In addition to being sh!tty so far, he proves again what an idiot he is. Its the turfs fault I didn't run faster. I hurt myself not stretching well. I forgot when my court date was and to pay my traffic citations. This guy will never get it and playing Thursday against soon to be cuts proves nothing. Great job Vinny

Posted by: Rahtard | August 29, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

my god this ump is f*cking terrible. he jobbed that kid on a ball that was 12 inches outside.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 29, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"St Louis, for one, is in desperate need of a WR. They got 50 large invested in Sam I Am, and he gets to look right and left at guys like Laurent Robinson and Danny Amendola.Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe"

StLouis' projected starting WRs:
Laurent Robinson 3 starts 13 rec. 167 yards
Danny Amendola 2 starts 43 rec. 326 yds

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

and the Jets cut Laveraneus Coles who has threatened to retire.

Posted by: Samson151 |

Laveraneus who?? Oh HELL no!!

Posted by: iubiquity | August 29, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

a Hogs Haven pick for the first 5 cuts:
Galloway
Byron Westbrook
Dennis Morris
Willie Parker
Ramzee Robinson

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

No way Galloway gets cut Tuesday. He will stay until the DT and MK situation is sorted out. After that, all bets are off.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

why does everyone want galloway cut? i think he makes the team and will be solid this year. he still has the speed and runs his routes with precision to create separation. I'd rather have a vet for a year who can get the job done than have one of these developmental young receivers put out there while they don't know what they are doing. Mike Shanahan said it himself this is not a rebuilding year. If these guys want to develop go to the rams or lions. Use galloway for a year then get one of those free agent wide recievers, such as Randy Moss, Miles Austin, Sidney Rice, Vincent Jackson, Steve Smith (NYG), Santonio Holmes, Donald Driver, Jacoby Jones (HOU), Mike Sims-Walker, Braylon Edwards, or Steve Breston.

Posted by: nfcBEaST | August 29, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nfcBEaST | August 29, 2010 5:45 PM

I agree. Some of these guys have been hating on Galloway since he was signed. They're blind to what he's done in pre-season and to the fact that he's better than anyone else we've got.

These are the ones who say "I hope I'm wrong but..." They really hope they are right. They have a lot of blog posts invested at this point in seeing Galloway get cut. Tough.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Kelly better stop talking and start playing or he is going to be hanging out with Vinny.

Posted by: WHS08 | August 29, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WHS08

I heard vinny has gone back to his career in acting.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | August 29, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 5:56 PM

I'm the opposite. I have Galloway making the 53 man roster and being our #2 to start the season. I just hope I'm wrong and Kelly can somehow join Moss, Thomas, Armstrong, & Austin as our 2010 WRs.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 29, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I notice that when Galloway is playing, Moss is open more. Defenses have to respect JG so they can't double Moss as much. Galloway is a keeper. Either DT or MK is not going to make this team. Unless he shows some speed, hands, route running skills and durability on Thursday, Kelly is O to the U to the T.

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | August 29, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 29, 2010 6:11 PM

You're on the high ground on this one, Diesel.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

"The numbers tell an ugly story. Maybe...[they are] hiding everything. Maybe the Cowboys haven't run a single play that they hope to execute two weeks from now in Washington. But that's not likely." ~ Dallas Morning News Writer Tim Cowlishaw, this morning

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 29, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I heard vinny has gone back to his career in acting.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise

When did he ever quit. He always ACTED like he had football knowledge in Ashburn. I'm just glad his 'stint' here is over.

Posted by: Predator48 | August 29, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 29, 2010 6:15 PM

How sweet would it be if Wade Phillips is the first coach fired this year? Or if they bring in Sherm Lewis to call plays?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

... I have Galloway making the 53 man roster and being our #2 to start the season. I just hope I'm wrong and Kelly can somehow join Moss, Thomas, Armstrong, & Austin as our 2010 WRs.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 29, 2010 6:11 PM

Agree about Galloway. He hasn't played in a preseason game b/c he doesn't need to play in a preseason game. He's starter ready and has been for about the past decade. The reason to play Kelly is to see whether he can hold up for a whole game. Whether he legitimately can or can't, he will be going to the PUP list ... either legitimately or illegitimately.

Do any of the WR needy teams out there have a linebacker they can spare? Seems like Skins could have the longer straw in any trade with Thomas. He's got good film from the second half of last season and he's young still.

Posted by: dcsween | August 29, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm not against JG per se. Absent both MK12 and DT11 on the roster and starting productively, JG is WR2. Love his maturity, his knowledge, his professionalism. Love his speed and his ability as mentioned to draw coverage away from SM89.

BUT, if MK12 and DT11 are both fully functioning as pros (which means they are producing as WR2 and 3 and also giving room to SM89), there is no longer a spot on the roster for Galloway.

He either starts at 2, or is cut.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Sluggish Cowboys starters could play in preseason finale

Posted by Mike Florio on August 29, 2010 4:42 PM ET

Most teams don't play their starters in the preseason finale.

Then again, most teams don't have Super Bowl aspirations along with an owner who expects his team to play in the Super Bowl his gleaming new stadium will host. And the team that finds itself in that vise has not performed very well in the preseason.

So the Cowboys could be using their starters on Thursday night, when the Dolphins come to town to wrap up a preseason in which Dallas played five games.

"We'll look at it and see," coach Wade Phillips after Saturday night's 23-7 loss to the Texans. "They were some individuals who did some good things, but we'll have to evaluate that. I'm not ruling out that we won't play our guys more next week."

Of particular concern is (or at least should be) the play of quarterback Tony Romo. He has generated a sluggish passer rating of 64.3 in four preseason games. On Saturday night, he took two sacks, threw an interception, and fumbled twice.

As Tim MacMahon of ESPNDallas.com points out, the starters played a full half against the Chargers and the Texans. In both games combined, the Cowboys gained 145 yards -- and they gave up 434.

Though we realize that the preseason means nothing, the starting offense and defense still need to show something in the games where the starters play two full quarters.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 29, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 29, 2010 6:11 PM

Yup, and he could start. Armstrong is for all intents and purposes, a rookie. Thomas--if he makes the team--is still a dunderhead, Kelly isn't allowed to bring his jacuzzi into the huddle, Wade's shown nothing, Ditto Roydell, and the mini-receivers aren't near ready to go.

I see Galloway, a savvy vet, and the dangerous Armstrong splitting most snaps at "Y" against Dallas. from then on it's anybody's guess.

Posted by: TheCork | August 29, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

If I'm BA, I'm getting STL on the fon and trying to get one of Haslet's a) FS or b) LB for c) MK or d) DT.

Smells like Atogwe for DT IF MK can make the deal doable with his hopefully no longer gimpy hammy.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

He either starts at 2, or is cut.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 6:28 PM

Āina..

You nailed it.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 29, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

All this dt and mk talk don't forget Moss has been having a bad case of the droppsies on passes this preaseason too.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

He either starts at 2, or is cut.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

Hope Galloway reads that. "if MK12 and DT11 are both fully functioning as pros" has to be the most reassuring words he could hear.

Has there ever been a single game in their two plus year careers where both have fully functioned as pros?

If you're serious about football--and I believe Shanahan is--you don't rest your future in the hands of knuckleheads and Jacuzzi queens like those two. You look for vets for whom the word "pro" is a way of life, not some illusive goal.

Posted by: TheCork | August 29, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Which is why SM89, JG, and AA start week one, MK12 needs another week or two to move ahead of AA, and DT gets shipped for Atogwe.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

samson/beep-beep

"Reid reported a few days ago that teams have called the 'Skins about Devin Thomas."

I'd say DT has value to, say, the rams.

The question is what might come back in return--a low pick or ham sandwich.

Me?: I'd take the ham sandwich.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

sfik-

Atogwe signed a 5 yr 32 mil contract in June.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 29, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

monkeymayonaise

McNabb could be out for cowboys

Wow!: I saw this somewhere and thought it was a nightmarish typo.

Just how bad is McNabb's ankle injury?

A month of recovery for an ankle injury means a severe high ankle sprain.

Or is it worst than that?

That is a story that has be missed by the WaPo gang.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

How does this change the equation? They either want a receiver fro Sam I Am, or they don't. Atogwe is a significant upgrade at FS, and the answer to one of the most glaring problems on the D side of the ball.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2010 7:10 PM

Im sure this is bs...he will play. Gives the cowballs some hope...

Posted by: skinswillwin | August 29, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

skinsfan

"How does this change the equation?"

I can't see how trading DT for a solid league starter at FS is somehow an even trade.

And that's what's wrong with the equation.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

That is a story that has be missed by the WaPo gang.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2010 7:10 PM |

And you be a jive sucka if you not know how "could be" don't mean "is be".

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Atogwe signed a 5 yr 32 mil contract in June.

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 29, 2010 7:04 PM |

So what? Only a Vinny Cerrato would make a trade like that.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan is only sandbagging Wade Phillips and the Cows about McNabb.

Posted by: abxinc | August 29, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Sidney Rice was really the heart of the Vikes passing game last season. His stats:
14 starts, 83 rec., 1312 yds, 8TDs

With Sidney out, here's the starters:

Bernard Berrian: 15 starts, 55 rec., 618 yds, 4 TDs
Percy Harvin: 8 starts, 60 rec., 790 yds, 6 TDs

Percy's health is none too certain. Behind him is Taye Biddle, which is probably why they traded for Camarillo and signed Javon Walker.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

skinswillwin

"Gives the cowballs some hope..."

After watching Rex "The Turnover Machine" Grossman the other night, I certainly hope D Mac plays in 2 weeks.

But if he is hurt, well, let him get it together for what will be a long season.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2010 7:39 PM

pray to the football gods.....Romo/Lomo will not win...

Posted by: skinswillwin | August 29, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Buffalo is another club that looks very thin at WR and TE. Lee Evans is fine, but the other starter is Steve Johnson, who caught 2 for 10 yards last season. Backups are Chad Jackson (missed 2009) and Roscoe Parrish (3 rec., 34 yds). TE Jonathan Stupar caught 2 balls in 2009.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Oakland looks to have lost their best receiver, Curt Schilens, to a knee. That leaves them with unreliable Heyward-Bey and Louis Murphy...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

samson151

"Behind him is Taye Biddle,..."

You mean, the vikes didn't see Marko Mitchell as the next Jerry Rice, jr.?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2010 7:39 PM |

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | August 29, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

just had my fantasy draft today and was looking through some projections for wr's and here are some interesting projections:

dt11...ESPN Projections 2010 SEASON 64 pts
mk12...ESPN Projections 2010 SEASON 48 pts
marko mitchell, wr, vikings.. ESPN Projections 2010 SEASON 122 pts!!!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | August 29, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

So, what is the over/under on the number of Santana Moss drops for this year? I'll take maybe 15 or so.

It sure is cool when he spins the ball after a catch. But he needs to come up with something when he drops one too. Maybe a slap upside the head?

Posted by: LeeM9308 | August 29, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Orton is a dummy dog for sure. Trying to tackle Harrison is beyond tahd.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

"True dat. In the year the Bears went to the super bowl the dude had 20 intercepts and 8 fumbles. That's a lot, almost 2 handovers a game.Posted by: AlligatorAl"

You know those aren't really terrible turnover numbers, right? For instance, Rex lost five of those fumbles; Kurt Warner and Drew Brees each lost 6. The 20 INTs came on 480 attempts, versus 23TDs.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

ARE! Boooo!

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2010 6:40 PM |

Hey gang, ahhh, we were 4-12 for a reason last year. One thing I do know is MK is gone.

Posted by: hessone | August 29, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Perish Cocks! ED Wang! Peter Puller would not be happy!

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

So... they're gonna take M Kelly out of the glass case and put him on the field. Why should we expect anything different then what we have witnessed for the last two years (which ain't much) I hope this new scheme lets him thrive, but I worry he's just another guy with all the tools and non of the results.

Anybody remember Michael Westbrook?

And was it me, or did Beck look about 100% better Friday night than last game?

Posted by: edvar | August 29, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Lloyd, preseason hero...regular season zero

Posted by: Predator48 | August 29, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Anybody remember Michael Westbrook?

Posted by: edvar | August 29, 2010 9:00 PM

Rod Gardner ?
Taylor Jacobs ?

Posted by: hessone | August 29, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2010 8:56 PM |

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

AlligatorAl = ?

Posted by: hessone | August 29, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Anybody remember Michael Westbrook?

Posted by: edvar | August 29, 2010 9:00 PM |

Stephen Davis do.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

AlligatorAl = ?

Posted by: hessone | August 29, 2010 9:14 PM

You obsessed with sock puppets, hessone? Or is AlligatorAl's last name "?" ?

Don't sweat it. We don't have sock puppets here on RI.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

AlligatorAl = ?

Posted by: hessone | August 29, 2010 9:14 PM |

AlligatorAl = SwampChomp

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

AlligatorAl = Poopy

Posted by: hessone | August 29, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Don't sweat it. We don't have sock puppets here on RI.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 9:21 PM |

But mebbe some cock socks.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Don't sweat it. We don't have sock puppets here on RI.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 9:21 PM |

I could care less about sock puppets beep-beep, besides, ain't going there with you.

Posted by: hessone | August 29, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | August 29, 2010 9:35 PM

You got that right. You ain't going nowhere with me, hessone.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

beep-beep, hessone--

Haven't either of you seen The Other Guys yet?

"Gentlemen, shake your d!cks! Because this pissing contest is over!"

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 29, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Nice entry, Romo.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 29, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

"Gentlemen, shake your d!cks! Because this pissing contest is over!"

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 29, 2010 9:44 PM |

Sort of like Obama and McCain shook hands after each of their debates?

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

"You're right. They aren't terrible. They're awful. There is a reason why they call him a TOM (Turn Over Machine). Only one QB had more than 20 intercepts last year - Crazy Cut, who suckceeded Sexy Rexy in the Windy City.Posted by: AlligatorA"

Those are 2009 numbers, right? Cutler had 26 INTs, but in 555 throws. Both Mark Sanchez and Matthew Stafford had 20, but they threw fewer than 400 passes. A better candidate for 'turnover machine' would have been somebody like Jake Delhomme, who tossed 18 INTs in just 321 attempts, or even better, Josh Freeman of Tampa, who threw 18 interceptions in only 290 attempts.

You're turning the ball over a lot here...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

thanks, beeps. I'd save your money and wait for video on that one, btw. Lots of funny parts but kind of average on the whole.

McNabb's ankle has me a little bit concerned. It won't matter which receivers we have out there if he's not the one throwing the ball. Rex is a capable backup, but we're in trouble if he ends up starting more than 1-2 games.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 29, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Go Timmie!

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Yay Tebow, and Tony Dungy and Martin Luther King Jr.

Posted by: MimiAnsari | August 29, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2010 9:52 PM |

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Timmie! No! Bad Timmie!

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Question for the Hamsters:

What if Kelly goes out there against Arizona and has a good game. 4 catches for 60 yards, maybe a touchdown. Then what? Is that enough to cut one of the other WRs in favor of keeping him?

After two mostly invisible years and a string of injuries, what does Kelly have to do to make this team?

Posted by: edvar | August 29, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 29, 2010 9:57 PM |

Someone should stick a fork in Will. The dude is definitely over.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Timmie! Yes! Good Timmie!

Also

Lance Ball! Yes! Go Terps!

But

Ouch!

also.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | August 29, 2010 10:44 PM |

Tommy John hammie surgery. Tommy John knee surgery.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Edvar, good question. It depends on what the coaching staff saw from him during OTAs and minicamp. From what I've seen, there really isn't anything he can do to show he belongs--the question isn't talent or ability, but consistent performance and health.

I think it comes down whether or not the Shannies/Keenan feel like taking the gamble on him, and that assumes he has the best-case 4 catch performance you described this Friday.

I'd still say no. McNabb can make the guys we have that much better.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 29, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

"McNabb's ankle has me a little bit concerned."
Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 29, 2010

I would not worry about McNabb's ankle at all. It is probably just a smoke screen for dallas. I am pretty sure that he could have played that jets game if he wanted to. Dallas now has to waste their time preparing for McNabb and Rex instead of just one qb. On top of that, they will have a tough time preparing for our offense because it is completely new. What are they going to do, look at the texans offense last year and see which players on our team will fill similar roles? Same with the defense? Are they going to watch the steelers D. This McNabb thing is just another thing to waste their limited preparation time. On the other hand, Dallas will still have Jason Garrett calling his lousy plays that our D will dominate.

Posted by: nfcBEaST | August 29, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Romo, agreed. I also think it depends upon who is on the bubble and whether they think MK can help this team more than a guy like Bobby Wade or Roydell Williams or even Austin.

I think it could be a very interesting decision given his size advantage over the other guys weighed against him not playing ST's and being hurt a lot.

Posted by: edvar | August 29, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Brady Quinn looks a lot like James Franco.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | August 29, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

My $.02 which ain't worth a red cent says Kelly makes the team on size alone if he's healthy enough to play. I see another "sock puppet" debate? Can not wait for Sept. 12 for some real football.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Yes MK is tall.

You want him - at minimum for end zone slants and 3rd down pickup hooks.

Why do you have Armstrong running exactly those patterns in the preseason games?

Cause you want to know if you can afford to cut MK12 if you think its a better than 50/50 chance he's never actually going to see the field long enough to be productive.

Right now he looks expendable. He has a to have a really good game Thursday - Shanny liks hungry, he'll want to see him winning balls from DBs and making separation.... if he can, he makes it ... if not we've already seen there are other guys that can make the catches.

Posted by: mac2j | August 30, 2010 12:38 AM | Report abuse

"Dude - if you are reduced to saying Grossman performed better than the likes of Staff, Free, Jake Del, Dirty, etc., I think you did about as good a job as I could have in proving my point. Grassy ass.Posted by: AlligatorAl"

I don't actually think you have a point. Which would be my point.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 30, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

My concerns are at backup QB. Our receivers as they stand are getting open, stretching the field and creating space. Our backup QBs however are either short or have side arm releases or both. A lot of balls get knocked down at the line of scrimmage. I'm hoping for an under the radar QB with a quick release to be cut from a team and we pick him up.

Posted by: clark202 | August 30, 2010 1:10 AM | Report abuse

i'm hoping thomas and kelly force all the naysayers to zip up their lips... bottom line is we really need to get the running attack going to make anything else work. i want to see opposing defenses that FEAR our offensive capabilities!

Posted by: dcjazzman | August 30, 2010 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | August 29, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Finish the game without being injured, run precise routes, catch catchable balls. In short, not much, basically show up and not get hurt.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 30, 2010 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Well, RI Nation...I'm back to my assigned work station. Which means I'm also back to the graveyard shift on RI. Hate getting up at 3 am, but somehow this just feels right.

I won't catch up on everything I've missed, but the only thing that stands out right now is McNabb. Dude NEEDS to play against Dallas if we're gonna win that game. Seems to me the Cowdungs will be playing their starters in the final preseason game since they've looked like the garbage they are, so maybe they have a couple key players pull up lame to even the playing field a bit. But I'd love for us to beat them with both squads at full strength so those Dall-ass trolls don't have a peg leg to stand on when they come up here making excuses.

But then again, if they lose we won't be able to find them anyway.

Can't wait for cut day...I'm curious to see if there's any spare parts that could help us out. Not much of a Antonio Bryant fan, but I wouldn't mind kicking his tires to see if that knee is anywhere near ready....

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 5:01 AM | Report abuse

From Aug 29 Redskins column in NFLDraftdog.com:

Mike the Psych Takes Control; Are ‘skins ready to Roll?

I go off to Maine for two weeks vacation and look what happens? First, chaos--a bad loss to the Ravens, McNabb hurt, Haynesworth in a snit. Then, just when things look desperate, Fat Albert is back in the fold happy as a pig in slop and QB Rex Grossmann looks like a backup gift. For a topper the 'skins beat the Darlings of Hard Knocks and their toothy, effusive, lap-banded but still fat celebrity coach, Rex Ryan.

Right now, the Redskins look nine and sevenish but I’m well aware things can and will change….

For more: http://www.nfldraftdog.com/nfl-team-columns/washington-redskins.html

Posted by: TheCork | August 30, 2010 5:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | August 30, 2010 5:42 AM

Mike the Psych? Happier than a pig in slop? Things can and will change?

Wow, Cork, that's some pretty vivid writing. That vacation in Mine sure gave you a fresh slant on things. Next year, maybe three weeks?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 30, 2010 6:16 AM | Report abuse

i want to see opposing defenses that FEAR our offensive capabilities!

Posted by: dcjazzman | August 30, 2010 1:41 AM |

C'mon, we were 4-12 last year. Our offense has a long way to go in order to instill fear. This thing will take time and patience.

MK could have a career game and still get cut.

SHOW ME SOMETHING !

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

I still say even if MK and DT look good thursday it's because they are playing against guys that will be career back-ups or might not even be on the team. Most starters don't play the 4th preseason game, at least not much more than a series.

To be contenders we need a stud WR, we don't have one.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 30, 2010 6:51 AM | Report abuse

To be contenders we need a stud WR, we don't have one.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 30, 2010 6:51 AM

Contenders for what? We're going from 4-12 to contenders, but we can't because we don't have a "stud WR"?

Posted by: beep-beep | August 30, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

beep-beep,

Not sure if you are intentionally trying to be dense or not but yes, the team should be striving to be, or become contenders for the super bowl. That's why they play right? I mention we don't have a true stud at wr as a hindrance to their collective goal.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 30, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

My take on the way that Shanny has handled the wrs to date is that the starters are going to be Moss, Galloway and Armstrong. Thomas will make the team and play primarily special teams. Banks is gone. Kelly has an outside chance to make the team if he proves he is healthy and able to contribute in practice and during the game this week.

McNabb will be ready for game 1. His time off from the injury will be one of the reasons they probably lose the first game. He and the offense will look rusty. Their timing was off in the Ravens game and he really needed the practice and game time build chemistry.

The offense is going to be hanging by a thread all year as their is no depth at wr and on the oline.

Posted by: srobert1117 | August 30, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm afraid we need more than just a stud at WR. OLB and O-Line also.

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

"Brady Quinn looks a lot like James Franco..."

His play explains why, on draft day, he was left sitting alone for so long after the legit 1st rounders had already been called up to the stage.

Memba that?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Hate to say it, but we're more than a stud WR away from being a contender. To me, it's more about McNabb adjusting to a new offense for the first time as a pro, the offensive line gelling and becoming at least a decent unit, and the defense nailing down the intracacies of the 3-4. None of that is as easy as it sounds, and it could be midseason before this team hits its stride. The schedule isn't exactly forgiving, so if we don't get out to a decent start, this could be a looong season.

Suffice it to say, we've seen much better teams go much further with much less at WR. That's not even a top 3 concern for me at this point.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 7:48 AM |

Mornin brown, what to do at OLB ? This could be the major problem going forward this season.
Keeping an eye on the wire.

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

"Time ran out for MK. I'd venture to say he'll be in the first cut, no matter what he does Thursday night."

I'll go out on a limb.

Malcolm Kelly will make the team, be given playing time in regular season game, and if he doesn't stand out in any way, be replaced by whichever receiver --Austin-- is placed on the practice squad.

Kelly's size and draft pedigree are too attractive for the Shanahans to ignore.

So, like all coaches, they'll put him in position to make plays.

They'll try to 'fix' him in some kind of way.

The question, then, is will he take advantage of the situation should it come his way.

Doubt it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

"Brady Quinn looks a lot like James Franco..."

Memba that?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 7:48 AM

I do. And I'll bet that even though Quinn's career hasn't exactly taken off, the Dolphins would take him over Ginn if they had a mulligan.

And for the record, Brady Quinn looks nothing like James Franco. Dude WISHES he was as cool as Franco...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

"...what to do at OLB ? This could be the major problem going forward this season."

In fifty words or less, explain why C Wilson or P Riley are not given the chance to play OLB with the 1st unit.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Keeping an eye on the wire.

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 7:55 AM

Personally, I would have liked to see us kick the tires on Adalius Thomas...dude had some issues with Belichick, but I don't think he's done. God knows he'd be better in coverage than Carter would be...

It's hard getting 3-4 OLBs because most of 'em are converted 4-3 DEs and you never know how they'll play in coverage. Hopefully Lo Alexander will be our own version of Adalius (the Baltimore incarnation, of course)...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I've heard some good things about Wilson...seems to be, he's more of a 3-4 OLB than he ever was a 4-3 DE so it should be a natural fit...and a huge coup if he can play the position at a high level.

Riley was an OLB in college, but in a 4-3. I don't think he has the size to be a 3-4 OLB, but then again neither does James Harrison.

Maybe the coaches will play around with ideas like that in the final preseason game.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

That's not even a top 3 concern for me at this point.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 7:48 AM | Report abuse

My top three concerns are:

1. Depth on the Oline
2. NT play against the run
3. FS play in general

Posted by: TWISI | August 30, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

brown, no thanks on AD, Jets, having lost Pace for a bit, are gonna kick the tires on him...watched the Dal/Houston game the other night, and either Houston is REALLY good, or Dallas has a really bad offensive line...they were setting up shop in the Dallas backfield...

RB's Portis/Williams/LJ/Torian...

Was/AZ on NFL Network Thursday night, 10 pm EST

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 30, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

TWISI, those last two weren't even my top 3, yet I'd rank 'em higher than the WR spot. Kinda proves my point about how it shouldn't be the primary concern here.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Greg, I get the apprehension on Adalius...just wondering what he looks like now, especially since nobody outside of Rex Ryan seems interested. I'm just glad Haslett didn't bring in that turd he coached in St. Louis, Leonard Little...

As for the Hou/Dal game, I think Houston is pretty good (especially at DE) but it's Dallas' O-line that sucks. I'm still having visions of Haynesworth busting into their backfield all night and Orakpo dancing on Romo's helmetless head...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Re: Kelly

For Kelly to make this team without having practiced/competed in training camp would fly in the face of everything Shanny has preached since he got here - not sure how he could justify that decision.

On Thursday he'll catch passes from John beck and Rich Bartel, and if he doesn't look good, all the apologists will surely blame the QBs b/c for some reason it's impossible for some folks to comprehend how a 2nd rounder with pedigree and great size can't play pro ball.

So why keep MK around and play him? No team in their right mind would trade for MK right now. None. But if Shanny can roll him out for a game against some scrubs in the preseason and he can look respectable, then maybe MAYBE some WR desperate team that has lost a guy (St. Louiss, Oakland, Cincinnatti) can get duped into coughing up a low round pick for a guy with "great pedigree, great size and supposedly great hands".

Posted by: p1funk | August 30, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Re: McNabb

He'll play against Dallas, without a doubt. Shanny has already begun the smokescreen "will-he-or-won't-he" head games.

Posted by: p1funk | August 30, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

p1, shanny is a no-'crap' kinda guy don't you think??

So why would MS/BA keep MK around for this long...their considered bloodless tacticians right??

maybe...just maybe MK hasn't gotten cut yet, because guys(MS/BA) think that MK can play when he's healthy...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 30, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

FYI, AH is the one who does the dancing on helmetless Cowgirl heads...

Posted by: p1funk | August 30, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

John Keim has been commenting about Carter. He said Carter strength particularly in pass rushing situations are his hands. That's why he plays with more power with in a three point stand. With Carter standing up, he doesn't have the leg strength, yet, to be effective as a pass rusher. The Skins have only three people in the front seven that can beat his man one-on-one on a consistent basis (Rak, Haynesworth, Holliday). Beyond them, the Skins will have to out scheme teams to generate pressure.

Posted by: TWISI | August 30, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

pfunk, one of the things I love about this team is that we don't know what they're thinking. They could like MK, they might now. We won't know until cut day, and even then their plans for him won't be revealed before they absolutely have to be (if they keep him).

I'm with you on McNabb...seems Shanahan is looking to dilute the Cowdungs' preparation for our QBs Week 1. Love having a smart coach for a change...

Damn I can't wait for Opening Day...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 30, 2010 8:14 AM |

Sunday nite, 9/12 = A long night for Romo.

This could be a sloppy game to watch considering both o-lines. I'd like to think we have an advantage here on opening night.

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

LOL pfunk, we'll played.

TWISI, good stuff from Keim as usual. I still can't figure out why we haven't traded Carter to a 4-3 team desperate for DE help (Seattle is the first team that comes to mind), especially if Alexander is viewed as being just as good.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Bean,

I think they initially kept him around for so long b/c the WR depth was so unsettled. And if none of the WRs could distinguish themselves, then at least they would have MK12 on the trainer's table to consider.

But at this point, I'd say it's a safe bet that JG and Moss are the starters. The big thing has been the emergence of Anthony Armstrong as the #3 guy - he's made plays, McNabb seems to have some chemistry with him, he's not lost a thing playing under big lights. They're going to keep DT b/c he has special teams value and can still be developed as a weapon in 3-4 receiver sets.

That's 4 guys right there - after that they're going to need another WR (or 2 if they keep 6) but those guys are going to have to contribute on teams.

It is b/c they are bloodless tacticians that I think they've kept MK12 around. At this point what do they have to lose by letting him play a game? If he sucks, then they cut him anyway. If he plays well, then maybe a team or 2 that needs a WR gives the Skins a call as they shake out their rosters.

Posted by: p1funk | August 30, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

It is b/c they are bloodless tacticians that I think they've kept MK12 around

contradiction in terms...MS has no vested time/energy in MK, it wasn't his draft, or draft pick spent on this guy...if MS didn't see something, then MK woulda been gone LONG ago...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 30, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Open Question

Which teams have impressed in 3 preseason games we've witnessed?

New England Patriots
Baltimore Ravens
Green Bay Packers
San Francisco
Atlantic Falcons

Standout Rookies:

CJ Spiller
Sam Bradford

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

if MS didn't see something, then MK woulda been gone LONG ago...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 30, 2010 8:51 AM |

What has MS seen in MK bean, with the exception of OTA's, voluntary mini-camps, and doing the offseason program ? I just don't think size and talent get you a spot on MS's roster.

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Standout Rookies:

Jahvid Best

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 30, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 30, 2010 8:51 AM

You could say the same about AH, yet here he is still wearing burgundy and gold.

I think Shanahan's kept MK around because he wants to see what he's got. Seems he's truly giving everyone a chance to prove themselves. That said, I have a hard time seeing him keeping MK if he can't play this final preseason game...or if he can't play it well.

In a completely unrelated note, if Denver keeps this youth movement up and lets Champ Bailey go next offseason, he'll be back in burgundy and gold. Dude loved playing for Shanahan and the Skins will probably pay him what he wants. Plus he's got the stuff to move to FS once his man coverage skills start to erode. CB and FS still a need here...Champ will fix both. Book it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Moe

Packers offense looks good, but they've kept their defense under wraps. The Ravens look good as well.

As for rookies, Spiller looks like all that was expected from him. I like what Victor Cruz has done.

Posted by: TWISI | August 30, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

moe, the pats gave up 36 points to the Rams...they're getting eviscerated up here in bahston, the defense anyway...and prior to that the Pats smoked the Falcons, so not sure that either team belongs in that list...

GB however hung 50 plus on Indy...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 30, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

"....I still can't figure out why we haven't traded Carter to a 4-3 team desperate for DE help..."

Andre Carter has a 'no-trade' clause in his contract.

He's a good guy and wants to be a redskin, so you really can't hate on him all that much.

If he were to waive the clause, I'd do an even up trade with NE for Logan Mankins.

But since we have him, we can still flip into a 4-3 look where he plays with a hand on the ground.

This final point isn't that much of an advantage as B Orkapo should be the guy with his hand on the ground, coming in from the q-back's blindside.

Again: if we could move AC, I'd do bidness with the Pats for Mankins.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

It is b/c they are bloodless tacticians that I think they've kept MK12 around

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 30, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Again. I don't think he was gone "long ago" b/c "long ago" they really had no clue how their WR corps was going to shake out.

I think they've seen enough from Armstrong and DT to justify keeping them as the 3rd/4th WRs. Anyone they keep after that needs to play teams.

Obviously they believed they saw "something" in MK in OTAs. I think they are hoping that someone else also sees "something" in MK in this last preseason game.

Posted by: p1funk | August 30, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Moe, Packers win the NFC. Book it!

That said, ranking teams in preseason is waaay worse than power rankings in general. Just sayin'...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

beantown

"....the pats gave up 36 points to the Rams...they're getting eviscerated up here in bahston, the defense anyway..."

I hear you, but that Patriot passing game looks very good.

And as for their defense, well, they are just keeping things under wraps, IMO, just like we are.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

How about LColes and SMoss as starting WR's. Last I checked, he's available and the Jets told him they want to bring him back. At 32, he might be an answer to our WR problems.

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

So whats all this I read in the freepaper that Donny Mac may be out for week 1?

BS or real story?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 30, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

if we could move AC, I'd do bidness with the Pats for Mankins.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 9:01 AM

Not sure how that would be an advantage for the Pats since they also run a 3-4. The only place I could see him waiving a no-trade clause for is if he's playing RDE in a 4-3 with a contender. I wouldn't call Seattle a contender, but I would call them a team with a chance at winning an easy division. Plus it's out west, not too far from where Carter played his college ball and subsequently some pro ball. I'd be a bit surprised to see him turn that down.

You make a good point about him being a good soldier and being happy as a Redskin. God knows he had more reason to complain about the 3-4 switch than anyone, yet he's been one of the best about it. Still makes me wanna help him out and do what I can to accomodate his transition to a squad that needs a 4-3 DE...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 30, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

twisi

"...Packers offense looks good, but they've kept their defense under wraps."

I agree about the Pack.

If their offense and defense play up to their capability, they are a formidable foe the team we left off the list as one that has impressed this summer:

the saints

Nawlins, again, looks primed for a major run.

Heck, their second team with C Daniels looks great.

Oh well...

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

why bother keeping him around then hess??

"How about LColes and SMoss as starting WR's"

um...if we're doing that, why not just trade for Brandon Lloyd....

Coles is dun, done.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 30, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: hessone | August 30, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 30, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

CUT him ....

Posted by: BeatDontStop | August 30, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I think they are waiting to see what MK can do because JG isn't going to hold up for an entire season, and having MK and JG on the outside with Moss and Armstrong in the slots in 4 WR sets is just too good a thought to outright give up on because of a hammy.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | August 30, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"And you be a jive sucka .."

POSTED BY Alligator Al

The preferred pejorative in RI is "bama head mo fo"

Posted by: ElYeah | August 30, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Kelly is like a good looking chick with bad breath...you keep holding out hope he'll use SCOPE

Posted by: kahlua87 | August 30, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

This is when you make a move! Snyder

Skins have to get a big reciever period, or they will get killed this season.

Cut Kelley let him go!

Pick up a LB because Andre Carter is a accident waiting to happen in the position he's playing.

Galloway will play 4 games tops without injuries spoiling his season.

Posted by: SOLVBACK | August 30, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I have thought long and hard in regards to DT and MK and they haven't shown much, but is it them or was it Campbell, you know Campbell took too long to read defences and always looked for Moss, then Cooley or Davis then dump it off to the RB. I think with Donovan both those two may have some serious numbers. I say DT and AA 1 and 2 with Moss in the slot! MK can be more of the possesion reciever on 3rd downs. I think JG is kept to tutor DT and MK more than anything.....Banks returns our kicks!!

Posted by: russellpenmaniii | August 30, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

what is the deal with the PUI - can they stash kelly there for a few weeks, get him healthy and then replace galloway once he gets hurt in two three weeks?

Posted by: Shifty138 | August 30, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse