Sidelined by hamstring injury, Malcolm Kelly looks ahead to next season

Wide receiver Malcolm Kelly thought this would be a hectic week for him the Redskins preparing to kick off the season against the Dallas Cowboys.

Kelly, reared in Longview, Texas, figured he would have to deal with ticket requests from family and friends while trying to focus on his job. But unfortunately for Kelly, he's not busy at all.

The third-year player is on the season-ending, injured-reserve list because of a nagging hamstring injury that sidelined him throughout training camp and the preseason. So instead of playing in front of loved ones in the big-stage opener Sunday night at FedEx Field, Kelly will support his teammates while preparing for the 2011 season.

"I definitely didn't think it would be like this," Kelly said. "I tried to do everything I could to get back. But it just didn't happen."

The injury occurred shortly before training camp when Kelly and other members of the received corps worked out with quarterback Donovan McNabb in Arizona. Despite being injured, Kelly participated in the first day of camp and the injury worsened.

He practiced only twice more for the remainder of the preseason. On the day he practiced for the final time, Kelly aggravated the injury, prompting Coach Mike Shanahan to put him on injured reserve.

"I'll be in every single meeting" this season, Kelly said. "I'll be out catching balls as soon as I'm able to run routes."

There was speculation that Kelly, one of Washington's three second-round picks in the 2008 draft, would not make the opening 53-man roster. But Shanahan's decision to put Kelly on injured reserve, instead of releasing him after he received an injury settlement, would seem to indicate Kelly's standing on the team was not as shaky as some believe.

"They could have easily just cut me clear and free, just let me go," Kelly said. " So by him [Shanahan] even putting me IR, and telling me he wants me to be here the whole season, I really can't complain about that."

Kelly wants to succeed with the Redskins, and Shanahan told him "it's up to what type of dedication do I show him during this time. Do I show him that I want to be like every other IR guy and go home, go chill in Miami for whole three or four months?

"Or do I want to be here, going through meetings, knowing in the back of my mind that I'm not going to play in any one of these games? Whatever kind of dedication I show him, that'll determine what he wants to do."

By Jason Reid  |  September 8, 2010; 2:13 PM ET
Categories:  Malcolm Kelly
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wade Phillips: Revamped Redskins are 'an unknown'
Next: Donovan McNabb supports Albert Haynesworth again

Comments

When he's on the field he's a force we know that", but even though we know that we are going to act like idiots and create a bunch of drama for a bunch of dooshy media/fans to talk about like a gaggle of "real housewives of doosherville"

once again we've dominated the off-season not with expectations of greatness, but with scapegoating the player that WE made the highest paid defensive player in history.

Good job Snyder another feather in your cap you've got the fan support once again blaming the players for this horribly managed team.

There is no way thi team can succeed without the help of the players who are ruthlessly criticized by the very fans and media who root for them.

What a joke? It's like struggling workers voting for a party that creates their very struggle. Of course they are from DC.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 8, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

So tired of reading about this injury riddled BUST!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Best draft since Heath Shuler!! What a total POS. Oh, and FIRST!!!

Posted by: jmeaicp | September 8, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Go chill in Miami dude.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 8, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

MK will pull his other hammy while watching film.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | September 8, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Best draft pick since Heath Shuler!! What a POS!!! oh, FIRST!!!

Posted by: jmeaicp | September 8, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Pay it up, choppers

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 8, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I too cannot wait for next preseason when MK12 sits out with allergies and then finally gets cut.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 8, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Awesome. Dallas week and we are posting about a player sidelined for the whole season. Jeebus....

Posted by: keino83 | September 8, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Notes:

Redskins officially brought back LB Robert Henson and OT Clint Oldenburg and put them on I-R after they were not claimed on waivers. The extent of the injury and damage to Henson's knee is still unclear, but he is ineligible obviously to play in 2010.

On Redskins offense against the Cows:

The Texans are in a 1st-and-10 situation on their own 38. Houston deploys in a strong or near-I left, an off-set I with the offset fullback on the same side as the tight end. Note that Houston's tight end is flexed, meaning he's lined up wider than normal outside the left tackle...The flexing moves Cowboys OLB Demarcus Ware out in space, creating a natural crease between Ware and DE Igor Olshansky. This is the gap Houston will attack.In fact, QBs in this system are coached to make a bootleg turn on all stretch plays, to keep a pass option in the pursuit players' minds...If Mike Shanahan can open the game and establish his stretch plays to the perimeter, either inside or outside his tight ends, he'll put the Cowboys OLBs in a quandry.
Dallas, get ready for heavy dose of screens.

Posted by: abxinc | September 8, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

By: JReid

==============================================

As always, 4th has proved he is a leader in predictions and not a follower......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather take a chance on Kelly on IR than Coolt Brennan. Kelly had more catches than Galloway last year, I think?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 8, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Is he the first player to ever go in season-ending IR in the preseason for a hammy? I swear, I've never heard of someone missing the entire season for this reason.

No "hell week" for you next year, son.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 8, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

They should call him the six million dollar man because when I see Doughty run I always think of the opening for that show when Steve Austin is running in slow motion. Watch Doughty in the game Sunday night and then just say, "nuh-nuh-na-nuh-nuh".

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Now thats some funny shti right there RSH.Hey who had the Six Million Dollar Man action figure with the hole in the back of his head so you could see out of his bionic eye?We had some tight toys back in the day.These youngins dont know nothing about good toys nowadays.

Posted by: smittdiddy | September 8, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

So tired of reading about this injury riddled BUST!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2010 2:23 PM

Take a chill pill dude.......

....You will be glad next year we ain't cut him......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Feeling good about the game this weekend, primary concerns...

On Offense - McNabb running from Ware. This was already going to be a concern, but with a bad ankle in tow, it's even moreso. I like TW and believe that he can be all we hope for in a LT. But he's not going to do it Week 1 of his rookie season against the league's top OLB.

On Defense - (1) LBs in coverage. We can be dinked and dunked on. I like our LBs moving forward going after the QB/ball carrier. I don't like them dropping back or laterally having to cover TEs or RBs. (2) Reed Doughty at FS. The dude gets by with hard work and playing "smart". But he's just not athletic enough for the position. The FS has to anticipate and close down space quickly - I see him being a step late in the secondary and getting picked on.

Posted by: p1funk | September 8, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

MK12 post? BIG who cares.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | September 8, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Can the next story be about me?

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 8, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"Malcolm Kelly looks ahead to next season"

I could not stop laughing for 2 minutes. This is about the funniest thing I've read in 3 days. Even funnier due to the unintentional comedy factor.

GO MALCOLM!! REHAB, FIGHT, WIN!!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | September 8, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly? Really? Guess when no one else is around to talk to you, might as well get something. After all, something is better than nothing. In most cases. I'm not sure about this one, though.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

So tired of reading about this injury riddled BUST!

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2010 2:23 PM

Take a chill pill dude.......

....You will be glad next year we ain't cut him......

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Right. Because when he's been healthy he's shown us SO much to get excited about.

Posted by: p1funk | September 8, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

As if Kareem Moore was a proven quantity?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 8, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan's job is to put the best team he can on the field. In our, case, tht would include Albert. Albert, at his best, is easily our best player. I don't care if Albert is happy, but I doubt what happened in the last preseason game helps Shanahan put the best team out on the field.

Albert is a jerk and the bigger problem, but that doesn't mean Shanahan has handled it effectively.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2010 2:34 PM

I agree that AH is one of our better players on D and if he's on our team, he should be on the field. However, I think deserve has a LOT to do with Shanny's treatment of AH. That being said, I do agree that playing him the entire 4th game might have been a bit of overkill. I do wonder if Shanny was secretly hoping AH would get hurt so the situation could resolve itself? Probably not, but just a thought.

Posted by: HokiesSkins | September 8, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

A!NY BODY OUT THERE GOT SOME GOOD IDEAS FOR A SIGN OPENING GAME?????!!!!!

I WILL MAKE THE BEST ONE N TRY TO GET IT ON TV...

HELP ME THINK GUYS!!

IS THE GAME GONNA BE ON NATIONALLY??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 8, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

How about this. It's on NBC, so you could put:

Never pay Dez
Bryant's mom for sex, she gives
Crabs!!!!!

Straight forward and to the point!!!

Posted by: monk811 | September 8, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2010 2:34 PM

Weren't we supposed to be glad this year that he was going to make a leap from last year?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 8, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

A!NY BODY OUT THERE GOT SOME GOOD IDEAS FOR A SIGN OPENING GAME?????!!!!!

I WILL MAKE THE BEST ONE N TRY TO GET IT ON TV...

HELP ME THINK GUYS!!

IS THE GAME GONNA BE ON NATIONALLY??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 8, 2010 2:15 PM

They allowing signs this year?

How about "Albert, RI hamsters wanna have your baby"

or,

Breaks for the
Cowboys

since it's on NBC. National TV, BTW.

Posted by: stevek20147 | September 8, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

4th, shut your freakin' cake hole and keeping patting yourself on the back until you tear your gd rotator cuff, you show off.

*patting one hand on the back while pointing at himself with his free thumb saying "ha-ha I was right they did R.I. MK12... ha-ha, yes, I'm da man, I'm da man. Me did good*

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2010 2:34 PM

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 8, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

He did, his hammy couldnt handle the leap.

Posted by: Stu27 | September 8, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HokiesSkins | September 8, 2010 2:43 PM

I think AH had a chance to really showcase himself in the 4th game. AH should have destroyed. Maybe Shanny wanted him to dominate the game against a bunch of future truck drivers and delivery guys so he could use the highlight film to support the high asking price he's setting for in a trade.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 8, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: smittdiddy | September 8, 2010 2:30 PM

I'm thinking the lead on those toys back in the day have something to do with many of the zany comments we see here everyday...but they sure were cool.

Posted by: PlayAction | September 8, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Best hands on the team will be at every meeting this season. Hope he gets well and trains himself to stretch before every practice and games next year.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 8, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

A sign for the game:

FU*K THE dallASS cowBOYS

There.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey....Injuries are unpredictable....

Patience pays off at the end of the day...

You see the attitude he has? You can't teach that. He's voluntarily hanging around, going to meetings, such as.....

Why hate? The draft pick is gone. What would be the point of getting rid of him?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 8, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

The front office says I should hang tight and keep my mouth shut until the trade deadline in October.

Posted by: Albert_Haynesworth | September 8, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm already looking ahead to my next trip to the toilet.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 8, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

A!NY BODY OUT THERE GOT SOME GOOD IDEAS FOR A SIGN OPENING GAME?????!!!!!

write every swear word you know...NBC will LOVE it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 8, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Hold the sign by a cheerleader and have it read, "Dan Synder is a BOOB!"

Posted by: GLFLVER3 | September 8, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Hold the sign by a cheerleader and have it read, "Dan Synder is a BOOB!"

Posted by: GLFLVER3 | September 8, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

"I have no idea where Carolina and New York are headed and that game should give us at least some information on their direction!"

NFC Analysis:

Dallas--moving sideways even with the media adoration

Philly--moving down as Vick and Kolb disappoint

Giants--moving down has Eli without Plax is like Big Boi with Andre 3000

Washington--moving up as the team can score and get turnovers

San Fran--moves up quickly if quarterback play is solid

Seattle--sideways and P Carroll wonders if he'll be stripped of his Heisman

Detriot--moving up as Stafford, Johnson, and Suh emerge

Green Bay--like a stoner with true smoke, can't go no higher

Nawlins---like a smart woman with a nice booty, can't get no better

Minnesota--sideways with backward movement as Favre's Cinderella moment draws near

Tampa--nice place to visit if you like to move backwards

Carolina--with a quarterback, they are moving forward

Atlanta--with D moves forward

Cards--D Anderson will fade like he did in Cleveland and the cards move backward

St Loius--stuck in neutral even though S Bradford is solid

Chicago--see Tampa

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 8, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Steve,

Hold the sign by a cheerleader and have it read, "Dan Synder is a BOOB!"

Posted by: GLFLVER3 | September 8, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

OR:

HEY, MILES AUSTIN: REGGIE BUSH AND RAY-J ASKS "HOW DOES MY ASS TASTE?"

or

I TEABAGGED TONY ROMO'S MOTHER. TRUE STORY

Posted by: RedDMV | September 8, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"Shanahan's job is to put the best team he can on the field. In our, case, tht would include Albert.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 8, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse"

Shanahan's job is to build this franchise into a consistent contender, with the ultimate result being a Super Bowl title (or more).

Everything else comes secondary. Including the lineup for a week 1 game of the 2010 season, one day into his official regular season tenure as the Redskins head coach.

Sorry, that's how it is. Haynesworth is a sure talent. He may be part of a team that wins a Super Bowl for this franchise. He also may not. That's what Shanahan needs to decide, and that's what Albert needs to show above all else. All this complaining over Haynesworth being the best player on the Redskins is a moot point if (1) Shanahan doesn't feel the Redskins are ready to win a title this year, (2) Shanahan doesn't feel that Haynesworth's contributions over the long term match that of other players and/or draft picks that we may get in return, or (3) most importantly, Shanahan feels the culture and attitude of a franchise is more important to on-field success than any one individual talent.

The last part is key. Shanahan's methods in the past have dictated his decisions in the moment, not because he's hardheaded and unable or unwilling to change, but because his methods in the past have yielded undeniable SUCCESS. Placing franchise culture and attitude above individual talent is the reason why he can churn out 1000+ yard rushers on a yearly basis with late round picks and UFAs on both his offensive line and his random rotation of RBs, despite none of them even being close to the most "talented". It's the reason he can take unheralded low-end roster players like Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey and turn them into cornerstone pro-bowl players. It's the reason why a guy like Anthony Armstrong earns a roster spot based on merit and gives legitimate excitement for his prospects over an undeniably "better" player like Devin Thomas.

This is not a personal clashing of heads between Shanahan and Haynesworth. This is an establishment of a cultural identity for this franchise under the Shanahan regime. It is a long-term, dynastic approach to building a consistent winner. Three years from now Haynesworth will be gone, regardless of whether he's here for this season. Shanahan, however, will not be gone. Neither will his culture, his attitude, or his idealized team chemistry that's necessary for success. Unless Haynesworth gets on board, Shanahan is fully justified and proper in his approach to instill his philosophy into this franchise, regardless of what it does to any individual talent.

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I keep hearing that lineman in the 3-4 are supposed to occupy space, not be "playmakers". If this is correct AH did dominate, 6 tackles 1 sack 49 of 55 plays. He was getting held a lot and taking his man with him to the ball. He made much more of an impact than any other d lineman has for us in th pre.

Zona like most other teams stared their 1's so don't make excuses. Brady played eli played, etc etc. For some reason our 1's DNP. We haven't seen our best player play with our new defense.

Hopefully, it's all just a ploy to engrandize Shanna-cool and not show our hand

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 8, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 8, 2010 3:04 PM

His methods yielded success when he had a HOF QB, an all world RB, and a decent defense. That confluence of circumstances no one could screw up. He had a talented team and LA and did nada. He did nada after Elway. Those SBs were more than a decade ago. What did Joe Gibbs' 3 SB rings give him the second time around?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 8, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

The hate for MK is a little overboard here. He shouldn't have been drafted because of his knee (which is likely causing his hamstring problems as well) . Blame Vinny for not drafting one of the other receivers drafted in that round.

We're also talking about a team that tried to play him his rookie year when he was clearly hurt and mismanaged him at the beginning of camp this year.

He had potential if he wasn't hurt. But that "if" is why he shouldn't have been drafted. Not saying Kelly should get a free pass since it seems like he could have managed his condition better with stretching and rehab.

But the knee wasn't his fault, he's not taking up a roster spot, hasn't acted up or caused trouble, he just can't get on the field due to health. Doesn't seem to be deserving of so much scorn when there's plenty to heap on the mismanagement of this team over the past decade.

Posted by: manifested | September 8, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

No-brainer, give him a year to pick up the system and heal and compete next year with Banks, Galloway, Armstrong . . . just in the outside chance none of those guys has a 1,000 yard pro bowl season ;)

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 8, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

@ abxinc
~~
Thanks for the Henson update, I was wondering what was happening with him.

It was fairly cold-blooded to cut him after seeing how he played last game while keeping HB Blades.

I don't care if it was against the scrubs, no other linebacker stood out in any other pre-season game like him.

Joey T. got it right during the broadcast-R.Henson played as though he really wanted to make the team. Now he has, good for him.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | September 8, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly is from Longview, Texas, huh?

Interesting, I never forgot how this guy rolled his eyes like a girl when he got the "call" during the 2008 draft from the Skins'.
I'm not kidding, Malcolm Kelly couldn't have looked unhappier when filmed taking the call. Does anyone else remember this?

DeAngelo Hall somehow made his way here to his hometown team and Brian Westbrook was trying to get here also.

Somehow, I bet he winds up with Dallas-his homestate team during his career.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | September 8, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse