Kelly Returns to Practice (Sort Of)

Rookie WR Malcolm Kelly was back on the field for the first time in three weeks or so, coming back from knee surgery. He took part in some light individual work, and ran a few routes, but as Coach Jim Zorn said, he was moving pretty gingerly.

Kelly said he just began running Sunday and is pleased with his progress. He hopes to do more each day and possibly play Saturday in Carolina, but that might not work. Kelly isn't ruling it out, however.

"The way I feel today, it could be a possibility," he said.

Kelly also added that he will have to evaluate himself daily, seeing how his knee responds to an increased workload.

Zorn said he hopes to have tackle Todd Wade back for the preseason finale. I asked him if Wade was behind the 8-ball, with some young linemen stepping up in his absence and Zorn pointed out what little veteran presence they have on the second-string O line (Jason Fabini is the only other vet). Wade's health could well be the determining factor in whether he makes the 53-man roster.

DE Jason Taylor was taking a lot of work on the right side in practice today.

Seemed to be the most healthy guys practicing since the start of camp. Wade, Justin Geisinger, LaRon Landry and Anthony Mix were the only guys totally off to the side working with the training staff (although, in all honesty, Ladell Betts and Kelly were really just watching from the sideline and holding their helmets once practice really got going).

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 18, 2008; 3:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The P.M. Practice Report
Next: First Crack at the 53

Comments

Would be great to get Kelly back if Thomas was totally winded during Saturday's game. Plus Kelly is playing X receiver, which would, in theory, allow ARE to play slot. Just my predictions.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 18, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh btw, first and second.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 18, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Freakzilla, you dont put a 2nd round draft pick on p-squad. Wr's take 2-3 years to develop. someone else signs him an he becomes an pro bowler and we look like idiots. if someone signs mason we dont look like idiots because we had clinton portis. the same way the ravens do look like idiots for not keeping priest holmes because they had jamaal lewis at the time.

Posted by: Great One | August 18, 2008 3:09 PM

Posted by: Great One | August 18, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

ment to say ravens dont look like idiots

Posted by: Great One | August 18, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the Bills go to 3 or 4 straight super bowls in the early 90's? I would think their offense held the majority of TOP but I could be wrong.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 2:40 PM

Wrong. The ran the real No Huddle Offense where their offense would only average about 20 mins TOP......

Posted by: 4th | August 18, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Before I forget. All those people yapping on people like me being critical of Thomas and Kelly (along with Smoot) for not passing the conditioning test, what do you think now. Thomas is no where prepared to play in an NFL game at this moment, and he didn't play a whole lot as it was on Saturday.......

Posted by: 4th | August 18, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

School started today which has meant stupid kids, learning and education has eaten into my blog time.

@#($@)#*$()#!!

Jets game - gave me that vaguely ugh feeling I got a lot last year that I'd forgotten. Certainly had to down more Kool Aid to maintain the shinzy gauzy burgundy and gold filtered view. . . to be expected but still . . .

Posted by: sfskin | August 18, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

sorted nads

Posted by: nads guy | August 18, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Ravens (from prior post), anyone noticed how unimpressive rookie QB Flacco has looked? Unlike Brennan, this guy was highly touted coming out of Delaware or wherever.

Posted by: RambleOn | August 18, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

4th - hear hear. You'd think their agents/the NFL/the team would emphasize this a ton in the spring. . .although I suppose it could be a matter of you bring a horse to water but you can't him drink thing.

It seems like you could have some part of teh contract tied to this.

Posted by: sfskin | August 18, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

4th, is that you I'm playing in week 1?

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

So Blades is back practicing?

Posted by: Ben | August 18, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Its OK SFSkin. But the time you're thru with 'em, they'll be smart kids.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

4th = Negative Nancy

jeez

I will reiterate that we should've drafted Hardy from Indiana over Devin Thomas, but what ya gonna do? I saw Hardy as a slight edge of Thomas, but I can understand seeing them as a tossup. Also, as I've been on a "review this past draft" kinda thing today, how about the WR drafted ahead of Devin Thomas, Donnie Avery to the Rams.

Who? Exactly.

Also how bout that Rob Jackson pick up? If he pans out we might look smart picking up some second-round talents for offense instead of the two somewhat questionable 2nd round DE's. Weren't Calais Campbell and Quentin Groves both kinda iffy? One was injury-prone I believe and the other had "issues" off the field.

Hrm.

/random rambling

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 18, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

My FF hope is to be the Bobby Beathard of my league. My fear is that I will be the Vinny Ceratto of my league.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RambleOn | August 18, 2008 3:22 PM

In college he was a big fish in a small pond.

If Flacco was so good why did he never try and go play at a Div 1 school? I mean, there are ton's of good division 1 schools out there that needed a QB that had great academics and everything that Del has, my own school of Temple University comes to mind.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

And yes I'm bored. But another thing.

Everyone complains about the offseason, why not just take knees the whole game and not play any D. That would be a statement to the NFL and freaking hilarious to watch.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 18, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

This years draft is a long way from proving anyone right ... or wrong.

I had issues with it. Cooley is locked in as starting TE for years to come. So why Fred Davis in round 2? For two TE sets? At least go for a guy who could be in there most every play with a second round pick.

But we won't know much about any of these guys for a while. Except maybe the punter.

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Under normal circumstances, I would agree that you don't put a high draft choice on the practice squad.

However, these aren't normal circumstances. We over-drafted WRs, plain and simple. Do you cut a guy who can perform, in order to keep a guy who's a big question mark, just because you spent a high draft pick on the latter guy?

Posted by: freakzilla | August 18, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

So what is the truth in the Ed Reed to Washington for Ladell Betts/#1 Pick rumor?

Posted by: DeezCacklins | August 18, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Truth, its simple really.

Teams sell tickets to preseason games. They get watched on TV and listened to on radio. Why? I'm not really sure. But they make money. The coach who orders his team to take a knee and skip playing defense gets fired by the owner who wants to make money. As the old saying goes, "follow the money"

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DeezCacklins | August 18, 2008 3:40 PM

Never heard anything about that, and I just checked google for news updates. Got a source or you just trying to start the rumor yourself?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Speaking even more of the Ravens...

I read that on Doc Walker this morning they were discussing a rumor that had the skins trading Betts to the Ravens for Ed Reed. Evidently more compensation would be inolved but I was curious if anyone else had heard about this. I wonder what else we would have to give up... And would we be better off trading for Landry's brother instead of Reed... it would certainly cost us less.

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 18, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Also looking back at the draft, it is very possible we could've had James Hardy from Indiana and Jerome Simpson from Coastal Carolina in the 2nd round (pick Hardy in place of Devin Thomas and Simpson most likely would've dropped one more spot as Thomas was still available, and then we get Simpson in place of Fred Davis).

If The Truth was doing the draft he might've tried this. I thought both were sleepers in the draft before and still do. Jerome Simpson is Calvin Johnson-lite, and that's not an insult. Hardy is just a physical specimen, and I'd call Devin Thomas a version of James Hardy-lite right now.

watch for Hardy and Simpson, both are gonna be good one day!

I'ma go look and see how Simpson is doing in camp/preseason...

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 18, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't even see a blog post on it around the web.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Ladell Betts plus a first-round pick for Ed Reed, sounds fair.

Posted by: Daniel N. Snyder | August 18, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Forget that, Give us Ed Reid and Ray Lewis for Ladell and I would be down with it.

Posted by: Jim Zorn | August 18, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Speaking even more of the Ravens...

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 18, 2008 3:44 PM

I would rather go with the rookies (Moore & Horton) then to give up a #1 draft pick for Ed Reed.

I know Moore nor Horton is (may not ever will be) on Reed's level, but I think those guys could turn out to be solid players, playing alongside LaRon Landry.

Posted by: Pork Skins | August 18, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Dickey Betts wrote In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, in case that helps.

Posted by: SMACK | August 18, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

how about Ladell, Portis, and Rock Cartwright for two first rounders???

Posted by: random RI blogger | August 18, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

The truth has shown his real self.

Truth = Hater

Posted by: 4th | August 18, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

truth, if we had the draft to do over again, and were still going to draft the same positions in the 2nd (WR, TE, WR) then I would have drafted Sweed instead of Kelly. Kelly's knees bother me.

Posted by: talkshowhost | August 18, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

late to the game, but talkshowhost, are you Steve Czaban?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

what % of people up here on RI have down syndrome? maybe 70%-80%.

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Better questions
Talkshowhost are you DeezCacklins?

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I personally like Kareem Moore and Horton.

And once again I like the idea of developing players. Give 'em some time, NFL as a whole needs to stop pulling the trigger on players so early.

I'm pretty upset about how the Vikings are treating Tavarres Jackson (is that his last name? I always get it confused for some reason). People are talking about getting rid of 'em and all this, just give the guy some time. I think he'll be a pretty good QB one day.

Everybody always says you gotta have patience and all this, but when it comes down to it nobody WANTS to have patience. It is frustrating to me.

Give Moore, Horton, and even Tryon a chance. Yall are also overlooking the fact that some of these guys might just be GAMETIME players, which is much more important than preseason IMO. Some of these guys might show up when the real Sundays start, and there's no need to jump to conclusions.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 18, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

drafting the 2 WR's makes sense, when they come to full development 3 years from now, Moss, and ARE will be on their way out the door therefore no drop off in the receiving game.

Posted by: Great One | August 18, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

+++now have alerts for Jon Jansen. I love the guy, what he's done for us, playing with broken hands/wrists, longevity, etc. But he now has me red-lerted on playability for the entire season. I hope he can prove me wrong and play great all year.+++

And who would you replace him with?

HEYER: Not Ready yet.
RINEHART: Not ready yet.
WADE: Not as good.

Better hope JJ is still recovering from two major injuries and will be ready to go.

What in the hell is "red-lerted"

Posted by: Corkczar | August 18, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Tarvis Jackson will be better once he learns that you need to try and not throw off one foot (in some cases 0 feet) every pass.

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

I am DeezCacklins and I don't have a source, I read on a message board that the rumor was discussed on "ESPN" 980 this morning. Didn't hear the segment, I don't know if they just threw it out there or if they had a source or what.

Posted by: DeezCacklins | August 18, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

... the same way the ravens don't look like idiots for not keeping priest holmes ...

Posted by: Great One | August 18, 2008 3:09 PM, as amended at 3:12 PM

Something about Priest Holmes makes me think of idiocy ... just can't quite remember what.

Also, I don't think all the draft picks make the team. Ten guys? That's just too ambitious ... and risky.

I have an unrelated question ... relates to Chris Wilson. I remember last season, at some point, he was just on the field, making stuff happen. But was he on the roster in the original 53 going into the season? Practice squad? Who was it that went down/got injured/left that opened up the spot for him? I seriously don't remember.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

4th I can't possibly be a hater when I personally gave the following slogan to the Georgia Bulldogs (and possibly Washington Redskins) - "HI HATERS HI HATERS HI HATERS"

So I am not a hater, you are a Negative Nancy.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 18, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

yeah, I mean I am losing sleep about how the Vikings are treating T. Jackson....

NOT

get real Truth the dude sucks....F him, hope he fails

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:02 PM

The Priest Mobile?

Posted by: Legion | August 18, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DeezCacklins | August 18, 2008 4:01 PM

How convenient

Posted by: Doubter | August 18, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

So I am not a hater, you are a Negative Nancy.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 18, 2008 4:03 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, I hear this in my head with the voice of Big Gay Al from South Park

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Priest Holmes ... periculum. Nuff said.

Tavaris Jackson? Really? Not to worry ... still lots of starter-ready QBs out there ... Vikings roster not set yet ... I would not poop my pants for Culpepper was re-born a Viking (and did fine). If Leftwich can find work, Culpepper can find work.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

{Sigh} I will be so glad when school starts again, so that the blog can be used by those of us slacking off our jobs.

Posted by: Not Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Leftwich > Culpepper

Leftwich is the man, he played with a broken freakin' leg in college!

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 18, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Tavaris Jackson's problem is that team is solid nearly everywhere except QB. With decent QB play they are a legit superbowl contender so he's not afforded the luxury of "developing."

Posted by: skinswest | August 18, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Leftwich > Culpepper

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 18, 2008 4:11 PM

Technically, over their respective careers, Culpepper (89.9) has a better passer rating than Leftwich (79.7), as of the end of last season.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Leftwich

Posted by: The Miz | August 18, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Leftwich>Culpepper>Crap

Posted by: The Miz | August 18, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Truth = Big Gay Al?

Posted by: 4th | August 18, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | August 18, 2008 4:15 PM

Technically speaking, his problem is that he is terrible.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"I told her which blog not to read," Cerrato said, referring to Jason La Canfora's Redskins Insider on washingtonpost.com.

HE MUST HAVE BEEN SCORNED BY JLC SOMEHOW.

Posted by: OG Barno | August 18, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Zorn, on Rock Cartwright’s performance against the Jets:
“Well we would never downplay what he did. A 70-yard run is a 70-yard run, and it wasn’t one of those deals where he broke through the line. He had to really have great vision to get through the mess that was in there. To me it doesn’t matter that he didn’t get into the end zone, all that matters is that he got the yardage that he did to put us on the 10 yard line. If he was disappointed in his play, I didn’t see that but maybe there was a decision there that he would like to have back. Those are the things that really get to a player and kind of ruin their whole game if you make one mistake, and he wants to be the best at what he does.”

Posted by: Cindy | August 18, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

When they played the redskins last year they skins were rushing 8 men and leaving a 3 man shell in coverage. i could have throw the ball to a receiver but instead he jumps in the air for some reason and throws the ball directly to smoot.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Tarvis jackson = McNabb - arm strength and mobility

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Zorn, on linebackers Rocky McIntosh and Carlos Rogers:
“I really was (happy with what I saw). I think (Carlos Rogers) felt very comfortable, which was really good to see. You saw some suddenness from him and his ability to react to the play in front of him. Rocky stepped right up there and took people on. I don’t think he shied away from anything.”

Posted by: Cindy | August 18, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Tarvis jackson = McNabb - arm strength and mobility

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 4:24 PM

McNabb ='s throw into the ground or throw 20 yards over the head.

McNabb ='s thank god for Brian Westbrook.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

So I am not a hater, you are a Negative Nancy.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 18, 2008 4:03 PM

I always thought it was "Negative Nelly"

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

NO! NO! NO! Ed Reed has been nicked all camp long Chris Horton in time will replace Reed Doughty but for now Betts stays unless someone offers a first or second rounder(not likely).Listen I love Ed Reed he's another Sean Taylor or vice versa but i don't see Ozzie Newsome pulling the trigger on that dream. As far as Thomas/Kelly making the roster i think Thomas does and Kelly goes to the PR.SQ.(can they do that?) but they both should be taken to the woodshed for their lack of dedication and commitment. First team offense has some kinks to sort out, i am a little worried about Jansen and Thomas, next two weeks should tell a lot.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | August 18, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

HE MUST HAVE BEEN SCORNED BY JLC SOMEHOW.

Posted by: OG Barno | August 18, 2008 4:23 PM

Larry Michael and Vinny have Kool-Aid IVs running through their forearms.

Posted by: Whambulance | August 18, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone really wonder why Vinny tells him mom not to read this blog. People have fallen inches short of asking for his head on a pole to dance around.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 3:32 PM

If thats the case......
I would like to present you with the FF Super Bowl trophy.

Vinny and Dan have won several pre-season super bowls. ;)

Red-lerted,adj,
1.to notify of imminent danger. 2.high profile warning 3. season long watch 4. mentally quick and original

Posted by: rando | August 18, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

SKIPPY ANSWERS: WHAT IS “TURK TOKE”?

Hi, my name is Skippy and I have a mental plate in my head. I live in a Doublewide with Mama, the twins of my dead Sister and my cat, Mr. Whiskers IV.

Recently, someone on this broad axed: what is “Turk Toke?” a discomboobulation football players get in their foots. Recently or sooner, Redskim Tight End Johnny B. Goode, of the University of Maryland University, suffered “Turk Toke” on his little-piggy-went-to-market toke while carrying his guitar in a gunny sack.

Skippy have found the latest misinformation, which you can take to the bank, preferably in small, unmarked bills.

On the one hand, a “Turk” is the guy who brings players the bad nudes when they are told “Coach wants to see you, bring some Inglenook.” That means their pro football dreams are exchanged for a job as a Wal-Mart greeter. “Hi there! Welcome to Wal-Mart. Please leave your magnets at the door so you aren't hurt by flying lead.”

A “toke,” on the other foot, is the inhalation of a Marijuana cigarette, also called a “blimp” or a “blong,” and mentioned on this bog by the stoners who drop by for research porpoises.

Therefore, a “Turk Toke” is a final drag on a Spliff taken by a player before he is cut from a football team. Your Welcome.

Fondly,

Skippy

Posted by: Skippy | August 18, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I wish we could make this a keeper league...

and darn you 4th, are you in the 2nd league??? I will crush you ala the Russian in Rocky.

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 18, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Ed REED?

Baltimore doesn't want Ladell Betts. They have Ray Rice.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 18, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I always thought it was "Negative Nelly"

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:27 PM

I thought Nelly was nervous, not negative.

No mind. Question: any know if there are "rules" about who you can pick up for the practice squad (other than the one about number of seasons)? Do they have to have balance among the positions? Or could they have all DBs?

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) -- Freshman Sam Collins, a defensive lineman for Huntingdon College, has died following the second practice of the preseason.

Officials said an official cause of death has not been determined.

Montgomery Police Department spokesman Captain Huey Thornton said Collins was pronounced dead about 7:30 p.m. Friday.

The college said he became ill following a morning workout. Thornton said the coaching staff thought he may have had heat stroke or heat exhaustion.

RIP :(

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 18, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Truth Rocky wins at the end...what are you a commie or just have a crush on dolf lungren?????

Can we please stop the 2nd round WRs to practice squad stuff....never will happen...we would be picked up in a heartbeat....would be beyond dumb...

Now if Kelly's knee doesnt heal, and its a numbers crunch....IR for the year a possibility...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

another request for putting a 2nd round draft pick on the practice squad. raise the down syndrome level on here to 90%.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

It's already at 90%

It takes about 1/2 of 1% or a Retarded man's brain power to realize how isane that idea is.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

MN(ps)F game tonight worth watching ... for scouting types. Browns at Giants, which seems odd to me ... b/c they have to play regular season too ... seems like a matched game: Giants crappy secondary against Browns injured receivers.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

For positions, is safety easier to learn than corner? [Am I asking too many questions today?] Seems like the Moore/Horton have caught on at safety much more quickly than Tryon has at corner ... with relative draft slots, it seems like it should be reversed. Also, I believe that Horton could become the Skins' Atari Bigby.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 4:40 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Sween - Theoretically (sp? for sure), yes you can put all DBs on the P Squad, but why would we?? 2nd rounders would never make it to the practice squad because someone would pick them up on waivers and you already paid them a signing bounus......

Posted by: 4th | August 18, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Skippy rocks

Posted by: POOP | August 18, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

do you morons realize other teams can pick plays off of practice squads. My guess is malcolm kelly would last on the PS for 2.7 seconds, tops. idiots.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Truth in 1st person | August 18, 2008 4:35 PM

Yes, I am in the same league as you.

I don't mind being Rocky. Thanks for the comparrison Commie!

Posted by: 4th | August 18, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 4:52 PM

He will not clear waivers to make it to the PS.

Posted by: Anon the Barbarian | August 18, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

One of those WR's will go to the practice squad the very day we trade Betts for Ed Reed. Bank on it.

Posted by: Skinz | August 18, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Also, I believe that Horton could become the Skins' Atari Bigby.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2008 4:48 PM

Playmaking ability, distinctive hairstyle, or both?

Posted by: freakzilla | August 18, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

... yes you can put all DBs on the P Squad, but why would we?? ...

Posted by: 4th | August 18, 2008 4:50 PM

mostly b/c there is excellent depth among the FA and unsigned rookie DBs ... guys like Richardson, Hamilton ... maybe my personal fave (and apparently, I'm the only one) for PR, Westbrook. I was just wondering whether it was OK to have way disproportionate representation by position the practice squad. I assume that a spare OL (or two), WR, DL, and/or LB would also be needed, but just under-represented by position.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

If a 2nd round WR doesn't clear waivers, he doesn't. How far do you chase a bad (or at least highly questionable) investment?

Mason wouldn't clear waivers, either. But he's proven he can play.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 18, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

freak, both ... plus the size and mayhem lust.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

this freakzilla character needs medication. Kelly is not going anywhere. please drop it.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

orton beats out grossman to start for chicago. that's like bush beats out cheney to be pres

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

freak, you simply can't rush to judgement that early on 2nd round pick....its a non issue.

Stashing one of them on IR with an injury would be the only route to getting their roster spot, but even that would be hasty...

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Kelly and Thomas have been dissapointing so far. But it is way to early to give up on them.

Posted by: Anon the Barbarian | August 18, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

4th, just to clarify, I NEVER suggested putting any of the first day picks on the practice squad ... just that not all of ten of the picks is going to make the roster.

Some roster spots just feel fuller than others ... though quality may vary, I think that the Skins have some luxury in the DLs they select ... like it will be hard to pick wrong ... so maybe someone like Rob Jackson has too steep of a hill to climb, even though he is both a pick and talented.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Vinny, pick a slow WR (4.75 and 4.68 in the 40 yard dash) with injury issues.

WTF? D Linemen are faster than Kelly.

Posted by: Whambulance | August 18, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 5:04 PM

Same disastrous results?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

anyone else feel like we should keep Rob Jackson over E. James, and then by exstension keep next year's 7th round pick?

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 5:06 PM

Speaking of draft picks stashed on the IR ... has Nemo done anything this preseason yet?

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

40 speed and game speed don't always equal. Some players play faster on game day. Give him a chance before we call him a bust.

Posted by: Anon the Barbarian | August 18, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Alright, I'll take my seat in the minority. But I still say "San Diego" is Spanish for "Saint Diego." Disagree if you must.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 18, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 5:10 PM

E. James would be the perfect player to put on IR leaving room for R Jackson. Zorn may be to honest for this.

Posted by: Anon the Barbarian | August 18, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Good News - Redskins 3-0
Bad News - Team didn't play that well

Good News - No Work Tomorrow
Bad News - Hurricane is coming

These things alwsys come in pairs!

Well, time to go batten down the hatches and hunker down.

Posted by: noone.from.tampa | August 18, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Anon the Barb, but I just feel like if he can't make the team outright we should cut losses and get the 7th round pick back. Case in point our current 7th rounders are ballin in camp.

I guess they could PUP James as well...

I would still love to see James experiment work...but if you have youth at the position you like who are healthy, when do you decide to pocket the pick?

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

good luck noone in tampa!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michael and Vinny have Kool-Aid IVs running through their forearms.

Posted by: Whambulance | August 18, 2008 4:29 PM
=========

To be fair, JLC at times has a haterade IV running through his veins. You have to read between the lines whether you get your info from an official Redskins outlet or from the RI.

Also, regarding James Hardy, he was a sneeze away from shooting his pops. I'll stick with the 21 year old that throws a fit over not running well over the 22 year old that pulls out a gun when he throws a fit.

Posted by: je suis un pizza | August 18, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

"Also, regarding James Hardy..."

agreed jesus pizza, but the Hardy comment came from the Truth who is a UGA fan and thus uncomfortable if his fave football teams arn't filled with criminals....

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

On WR's - you have to give them 1-2 years coming out of college. Most college offenses are shadows of what pro teams runs (in term of formation, packages, option routes, etc.) Also, they have to learn to play the position against excellent competition. It's no longer being faster or stronger than the guy across from you. You have to be smarter and knwo the proper techniques. If at the end of next season Thomas and Kelley have not down much, then start the hang Vinny chants.

Posted by: noone.from.tampa | August 18, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

cL and barbarian, the James quandry is a total high risk venture ... under Gibbs, the idea of stashing on IR and giving up the pick in order find out later would be the conservative (and thus selected) option, but if the guy could just show SOMETHING to demonstrate that he is not another high round nobody (see Mike Williams) from the worst first round in recent memory, the quandry could be resolved. Personally, I'd keep Jackson over James. Keeping Jackson actually uses two 7th round picks. Keeping James costs two 7th round picks. Jackson had a sack on Saturday! That counts for something ... like the lust for mayhem he inspired in Evans/Moore the very next play.

I think the addition of Jason Taylor extinguishes the initial light bulb that inspired the James trade in the first place. That said, the DL coach (Palermo) seems kind of invested in James, so it might come down to sentiment.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I do not find Kelly Ripa disappointing.

Posted by: ANON | August 18, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Kelly Clarkson - not disappointing

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Agree with your logic on Jackson vs James chris larry. Also, no guarantee that James will not get hurt again.

And we do pretty good with late rd picks, would be nice to not lose that pick.

Posted by: Anon the Barbarian | August 18, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 18, 2008 5:10 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Kelly Preston disappointed me with that whole Scientology thing.

Posted by: Biltmore | August 18, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

noone.from.tampa, r u going to be able to hold onto your hat and blog w/your other hand (man, that sounded perverted)?

Posted by: iCowboyFan | August 18, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Kelly Taylor was my favorite. I was never disappointed by her.

Posted by: 90210 | August 18, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Loves me some Kelly Kipowski

Posted by: Zach | August 18, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

R Kelly disappointed alot of people

Posted by: CBT | August 18, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Kelly Leak disappointed Tatum O'Neil

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Kelly Brook = Yowzah!

Posted by: Zane | August 18, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Kelly LeBrock

Posted by: Weird Science Doodz | August 18, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Most important Olympians (based on air time)

10. Nastia Luikin
9. He (that 13 girl from China)
8. Guo JingJing (that diver from China)
7. LeBron
6. Kobe
5. Dara Torres
4. Misty May
3. Keri Walsh
2. Debbie Phelps
1. Michael Phelps

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Kelly's Heroes did not disappoint!

Posted by: Telly S. | August 18, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Kelly Bundy?

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

From Justin to Kelly did not disappoint!!!!

Posted by: little girls everywhere | August 18, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE, somebody BEEP!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Kelly Blue Book

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Kelly Hu will never disappoint you

Posted by: I win the game | August 18, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Kelly Rowland

Posted by: CBT | August 18, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Jim Kelly?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Grace Kelly? (RIP)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Kelly-Ann Tursi looks like Leah Remini. That is not disappointing

Posted by: ANON | August 18, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Princess Leah? (Tangential)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Jim Kelly

Posted by: John D in Houston | August 18, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

no, Princess Grace (Kelly)

Posted by: Back on track | August 18, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Sing with me now ...

Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly Kelly

Posted by: AL, Zeke, etc | August 18, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Saving Grace?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Saving Private Ryan?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

John Kelly disappointed Sipowitz

Posted by: NYPD | August 18, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Generalisimo Francisco Franco?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Shaving Ryan's Privates?

Posted by: not Anonymous | August 18, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Do what Gibbs did with young projects....stash Kelly/Thomas on IR.

Posted by: SCSkins | August 18, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Silver Spring?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:03 PM

Silver Spoons?

Posted by: Rick S. | August 18, 2008 6:04 PM

"The Underdog" - Spoon?

Posted by: Britt Daniel | August 18, 2008 6:08 PM

"Underdog" - the cartoon?

Posted by: Polly Purebread | August 18, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:02 PM

Silver Spring?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:03 PM

Silver Spoons?

Posted by: Rick S. | August 18, 2008 6:04 PM

"The Underdog" - Spoon?

Posted by: Britt Daniel | August 18, 2008 6:08 PM

"Underdog" - the cartoon?

Posted by: Polly Purebread | August 18, 2008 6:11 PM

Underdog - the float on Thanksgiving?

Posted by: Macy | August 18, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:02 PM

Silver Spring?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:03 PM

Silver Spoons?

Posted by: Rick S. | August 18, 2008 6:04 PM

"The Underdog" - Spoon?

Posted by: Britt Daniel | August 18, 2008 6:08 PM

"Underdog" - the cartoon?

Posted by: Polly Purebread | August 18, 2008 6:11 PM

Underdog - the float on Thanksgiving?

Posted by: Macy | August 18, 2008 6:12 PM

Clint Longley?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:02 PM

Silver Spring?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:03 PM

Silver Spoons?

Posted by: Rick S. | August 18, 2008 6:04 PM

"The Underdog" - Spoon?

Posted by: Britt Daniel | August 18, 2008 6:08 PM

"Underdog" - the cartoon?

Posted by: Polly Purebread | August 18, 2008 6:11 PM

Underdog - the float on Thanksgiving?

Posted by: Macy | August 18, 2008 6:12 PM

Clint Longley?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:13 PM

He disappointed me.

Posted by: Geroge Allen | August 18, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:02 PM

Silver Spring?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:03 PM

Silver Spoons?

Posted by: Rick S. | August 18, 2008 6:04 PM

"The Underdog" - Spoon?

Posted by: Britt Daniel | August 18, 2008 6:08 PM

"Underdog" - the cartoon?

Posted by: Polly Purebread | August 18, 2008 6:11 PM

Underdog - the float on Thanksgiving?

Posted by: Macy | August 18, 2008 6:12 PM

Clint Longley?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:13 PM

He disappointed me.

Posted by: Geroge Allen | August 18, 2008 6:14 PM

Kelly Taylor was my favorite. I was never disappointed by her.

Posted by: 90210 | August 18, 2008 5:28 PM

Posted by: Full circle | August 18, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:02 PM

Silver Spring?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:03 PM

Silver Spoons?

Posted by: Rick S. | August 18, 2008 6:04 PM

"The Underdog" - Spoon?

Posted by: Britt Daniel | August 18, 2008 6:08 PM

"Underdog" - the cartoon?

Posted by: Polly Purebread | August 18, 2008 6:11 PM

Underdog - the float on Thanksgiving?

Posted by: Macy | August 18, 2008 6:12 PM

Clint Longley?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:13 PM

He disappointed me.

Posted by: Geroge Allen | August 18, 2008 6:14 PM

Kelly Taylor was my favorite. I was never disappointed by her.

Posted by: 90210 | August 18, 2008 5:28 PM

Posted by: Full circle | August 18, 2008 6:15 PM

Long posts?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:02 PM

Silver Spring?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:03 PM

Silver Spoons?

Posted by: Rick S. | August 18, 2008 6:04 PM

"The Underdog" - Spoon?

Posted by: Britt Daniel | August 18, 2008 6:08 PM

"Underdog" - the cartoon?

Posted by: Polly Purebread | August 18, 2008 6:11 PM

Underdog - the float on Thanksgiving?

Posted by: Macy | August 18, 2008 6:12 PM

Clint Longley?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:13 PM

He disappointed me.

Posted by: Geroge Allen | August 18, 2008 6:14 PM

Kelly Taylor was my favorite. I was never disappointed by her.

Posted by: 90210 | August 18, 2008 5:28 PM

Posted by: Full circle | August 18, 2008 6:15 PM

Long posts?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:16 PM

Long Duck Dong?

Posted by: M. Ringwald | August 18, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP! STOP!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:02 PM

Silver Spring?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:03 PM

Silver Spoons?

Posted by: Rick S. | August 18, 2008 6:04 PM

"The Underdog" - Spoon?

Posted by: Britt Daniel | August 18, 2008 6:08 PM

"Underdog" - the cartoon?

Posted by: Polly Purebread | August 18, 2008 6:11 PM

Underdog - the float on Thanksgiving?

Posted by: Macy | August 18, 2008 6:12 PM

Clint Longley?

Posted by: | August 18, 2008 6:13 PM

He disappointed me.

Posted by: Geroge Allen | August 18, 2008 6:14 PM

Kelly Taylor was my favorite. I was never disappointed by her.

Posted by: 90210 | August 18, 2008 5:28 PM

Me debo ir o que darme?

Posted by: Joe Strummer | August 18, 2008 6:35 PM

I should go.

Posted by: Mick Jones | August 18, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Just wow

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I left to eat dinner when this started. I hope it done.

Is this the return of the CL stalker? There is a certain determination to these postings.

I do like the Clash references, though - well done!

Posted by: CBT | August 18, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Of course I meant "I hope it is done."

Me speak all sort of good English.

Posted by: CBT | August 18, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON AROUND HERE!

Posted by: Vince Lombardi | August 18, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Leave it to Chris Larry to have some crazy stalker to wild out on the blog. lol

Posted by: jm220 | August 18, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

The Skins are not a running team and have not been a running team for some years. This inspite of Gibbs trying to make them into a running team. We have not had the OL to be a running team and Zorn's offense will not make this a running team. Hence we drafted three "pass catchers".

Posted by: donj1963 | August 18, 2008 1:14 PM

Wow, my 6th sense for insane bullsh!t drew me back to the blog six hours later, and sure enough...by the far the most insane thing I've read on this blog. And that's saying something considering the ramblings of folks like Prison Balls.

As for the proposed "Betts for Reed" trade: even if Ozzie Newsome had a stroke and Vinny Cerrato went to his hospital bed to have him sign off on that trade after tricking him into thinking it was his discharge papers, Ozzie wouldn't do it. I know there would be picks involved, but Ozzie would essentially be saying that Ray Rice ain't sh!t and that the multiple picks he sent Buffalo for McGahee were wasted. No chance. The best move would be for them to sign Laron's brother Dawan (he's a restricted FA after this year). What better chemistry could you get at safety than two brothers?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 18, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

low hanging nads

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Guess I did not miss much.

So I am posing a serious guess to where they tape Redskins Unrestricted: COOLEY's MOM's House

Posted by: Alex35332 | August 18, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

poop

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

better RB: John Riggins or Trung Candidate?

Discuss.

Posted by: steve | August 18, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff Steve.

Q. Which Redskins RB that have played in the regular season would you rate below Trung Candidate?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 18, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

"don't piss down my back and tell me it is raining"

This was a good line I heard in a movie recently [I think]
Can't recall where I saw this on the screen...

Help me Anonymous; what is our source again for that line?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 18, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Trung Candidate yeah riiiiight!!! NY Giants pimp slapping the cleveland's all over the meadowlands their D looks awesome but of course this is pre season. Now yous giant fans don't yous go gettin all riled up we'll be right with yous on the fourth.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | August 18, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I just remembered the line:

Two weeks ago I rented a movie I had not seen in maybe 20 years; had recalled that I enjoyed the movie, so I decided to go to the store and rent.

Outlaw Josey Wales [Clint Eastwood]

When you posted it Anonymous, I cracked up laughing. Then couldn't bring it back where I had just watched it on the screen.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 18, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I hate to bring up football on, y'know, a football blog, but them NY Football Giants look scary, and not in a good way.

Or mebbe Cleveland just sucks, which, come to think of it, is redundant

Posted by: Corkczar | August 18, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

hey Cork,

Back to football as you requested:
Giants DL made NE really struggle in SB and appears they will give our OL a tough night as well on the 4th, huh?

Our OL better be ready or JC will know what Tom Brady experienced in the SB.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 18, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I think it's the fact that Cleveland sucks.

Posted by: Red of the DMV | August 18, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

Posted by: Bubba Gump | August 18, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Just getting back to answer a few of you.

That's it, Mike? That's all you got? I turned you upside down and spanked you in front of everyone, and all you can do is come up with some obvious, trivial remark about my name? Is this your first day of blogging or what?

Posted by: d-bag

I'll take fries with that burger. This time remember the ketchup too!
I knew I remembered you from somewhere!!

Also, yes I live in Myrtle, Mr. Maroon. When I wrote "not much of a boardwalk," it means it isn't that great. The Boardwalk Hotel isn't that great either, though if you don't have enough money, it would do. I supposed chatting with a grown man(I presume) that quotes cartoons on a sports blog, I wouldn't need to be quite so literal. Why don't you curl up on the TV and turn on Popeye so that you can reacquaint yourself with the only true love of your life, Olive Oil. Miscreant.

MJ, Anonymous,

Yes, I do think JC is the best QB on the team. That said, he is still middle of the road at best. Quit being blinded by fan loyalty and let's have a debate about the football being played. Ask yourself, "where does JC rate among the other starting QB's in the league?"

Posted by: myrtlebeachmike | August 18, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Quit trying to debate Mike. You are an idiot and a jerk. Hey, Cyberbully. Just doing my job. You have no joy in your life.

Posted by: Cyberbully | August 18, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes this blog is interesting and fun.
Other times it's like walking into the men's room at a low-rent strip club and smellin' the piss on the floor that ain't been mopped up in months.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 18, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Which one is it right now, Willie?

Posted by: freakzilla | August 18, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

hey freak.

gots to say things are lookin' up if yer in here.

i unnerstand you live up the road from me. i'm in vancouver.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 18, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

hey Cork,

Back to football as you requested:

Yea, but they're missing one big component. One of the best pass rushers ever. (I hate saying that about anybody wearing blue. Grrrrr.)

Our OL better be ready or JC will know what Tom Brady experienced in the SB.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 18, 2008 9:53 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

*somehow I posted that in the middle of a cut and paste job*

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 18, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Those earlier posts weren't from me. And I can't believe he even quoted "beck". Is nothing sacred?

Posted by: Official CL Stalker | August 18, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

And he stole my Bubba Gump, too! Sheesh! At least he hasn't posted as Cindy yet.

Posted by: Official CL Stalker | August 18, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tomb Raider | August 18, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

You are invited to join my NFL 2008/09 Tipping Competition at http://www.OzTips.com

===================================================================
Comp Name: RI Tipping Comp!
Comp #: 151708
Comp Password: Redskins
===================================================================

To join:

1) Go to http://www.oztips.com/

2) Click the 'REGISTER' button on the homepage and set-up a Login (if you don't already have one with OzTips).

3) Once you have successfully registered a Username and Password, click the 'JOIN A COMP' button.

4) Enter the Comp # and Comp Password details above.

5) That's it! Full instructions on how to Tip can be found on the website by clicking on the 'Help' link in the top header.

Posted by: kost52 | August 18, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

where all them asian women at?

Posted by: Jonesy | August 19, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

yo toolz, nate in the pdx and i in my crib and talkin about y'all and drinking beers!!!

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Fecal matter in my loaded baked potato, not cool. Not cool at all.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Who is nads in the pdx?

Posted by: | August 19, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Dudes, it's Monday night and we had some terrific brisket off the smoker (by way of the grill) and listened to punk rock and trash rock and basically kicked your ass. With beer. It's Brooklyn, it's Monday, it's hot... totally awesome. chRIs LaRRy's house. Get the hell outta here...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX (in Brooklyn) | August 19, 2008 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Does that mean that no one could come up w/ a RB that actually played for the Skins in a regular season game that they would rate below Trung Candidate?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 19, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Wilbur Jackson

Posted by: chrIS lArry and nate pdx | August 19, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

yo where is everybody??????

Posted by: chrIS lArry | August 19, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Wilbur Jackson?

Goodness No.
Jackson was a quality back for several years in SF and we got him for his last three years of his career, I believe.
I recall he was the back we went out and obtained when Riggo suddenly retired.

The other thing I recall was he was mainly special teams on our SB XVII championship team.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 19, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

OK we admit, not a great pick....but beating trung is no easy feat....

fyi, Wilbur Jackson only played 1 game in the 1982 season.....

we'd say also mission acomplished with sussing out old dude.....

Ray u gotta pick?

Posted by: chrIS lArry and nate pdx | August 19, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm here Cl and Nate, I'm just trying to work out what the hell a brisket is!

Posted by: kost52 | August 19, 2008 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Wilbur only played one game in 82?
Wow! I guess it was an injury or something?
What I do recall was it was his last year and I remember thinking he got a ring....

It is tough, isn't it?
How about Kenny Watson? Spurrier years?
I thought he showed promise, but never did anything.
Come to think of it, he might not qualify either? Did he actually play in Regular Season games?

Oh, here is one, Robert Gillespie!
He was good dependable college back at Florida, but had no business here in DC.
Spurrier's fault was he really genuinely loved his Gators, you know?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 19, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

RedskinRay1 -

Are we talking about in their time with the Redskins, or as a player in general?

Adrian Murrell had a couple of decent seasons with the Jets and Cards, but was pretty poor for us.

Posted by: kost52 | August 19, 2008 12:48 AM | Report abuse

you cant hate on kenny watson....

how about this one:

Adrian Murrell!

Posted by: chrIS lArry and nate pdx | August 19, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

We got some creative peeps with a keyboard.....

Posted by: 4th | August 19, 2008 12:50 AM | Report abuse

dam Kost you trumped us!!!!! Murrell had good seasons, but not with the skins....

And Kost brisket is a cut of beef, often smoked....

Posted by: chrIS lArry and nate pdx | August 19, 2008 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Redskins Training Camp: August 18th

John Keim
WarpathInsiders.com Aug 18, 2008

Malcolm Kelly could play this weekend? Who will start opposite Griffin? Why not Alexander? Frost a better holder than Brooks? All this and more, righ there...

...Joe Bugel was back today after missing a week to be with his daughter Holly, who has a rare form of bone cancer. Saw Buges yesterday and he looked every bit like a dad enduring a horrible time. Such a good guy.

...A good sign for the Redskins: Malcolm Kelly ran routes on a separate practice field while his teammates worked nearby. That’s a good step in Kelly’s return from arthroscopic knee surgery. There’s some hope he could play Saturday, but not sure how likely that is right now.

...And good news for Rocky McIntosh and Carlos Rogers. Both of them played Saturday and reported no problems with their knees the next day; both practiced today.

...Not many people were surprised by what happened with Joe Gibbs racing, even some longtime Redskins sources. Let’s be honest: Gibbs fudged the rules when he coached here during both eras. And the league office disliked him, or at least how much he would call and complain about certain calls from the previous day’s game.

...Here’s what I want to know, and will find out: Why isn’t Lorenzo Alexander talked about more for a starting job opposite Cornelius Griffin? OK, I know some of the reasons, but Alexander is very active, much more so than Kedric Golston, who is not a playmaker but more of a run-stopper. But Golston was not overly impressive Saturday. Anthony Montgomery is not 100 percent yet and still plays too high. He does often take up two blockers.

...Redskins players are chuckling about the attention given Colt Brennan. One player asked a reporter, "Are they pushing him on you guys?" Yes, sort of. TV types love him; he’s the flavor of the day.

...OK, this might be a bit nerdy and I have to ask Danny Smith about this, but here’s what I noticed when watching Derrick Frost and Durant Brooks hold for practice field goals today: Every few kicks Brooks did not have the laces turned the proper way; they were slanted to the right. If Frost has a chance of winning the job, little things like that could be a reason.

...Stephon Heyer was back in practice today, though in a limited role. Heyer needs to show something; don’t know that he’s in trouble or anything but he has not cemented his role as a top backup that’s for sure.

...Todd Wade should want to hustle back, too. Let’s just say some coaches aren’t impressed with his blocking. If he was a young guy, he’d be gone.

Story URL: http://was.scout.com/2/780765.html

Posted by: Keim to da Post | August 19, 2008 12:57 AM | Report abuse

August 18th: They Said What?

Site Staff
WarpathInsiders.com Aug 18, 2008

Want to know what the players were saying today? Cick here as we have quotes from Jim Zorn, Jason Goode, Marcus Mason, Rock Cartwright, Justin Geisinger, Rocky McIntosh, Malcolm Kelly, Jon Jansen, Carlos Rogers and Jason Campbell.

Redskins Head Coach Jim Zorn

On the return of offensive line coach Joe Bugel:

“It’s good to have him back. He’s been through a rough week and a half. Actually, his fight is still not over for his daughter.”

On linebackers Rocky McIntosh and Carlos Rogers:

On preparing for the upcoming game versus the Carolina Panthers:

“Today we didn’t work on anything necessarily for the game. We just reviewed our past game. We exercised some of the things we’re thinking about, but nothing is etched in stone. They worked hard. Tomorrow is our first day to bring them in and do a base game plan for the next opponent. The energy level should rise up. These guys are pros, so they know how to prepare.”

On tackle Todd Wade:

“Well the injuries don’t help him necessarily, but I wouldn’t put him behind the eight ball. I would just wait to see how this thing plays out. We’re not overly abundant with veteran offensive linemen, so he’s a veteran and we may need him. He just has to get himself back and hopefully he’ll be able to play in that last (pre-season) game against Jacksonville.”

On Rock Cartwright’s performance against the Jets:

On the offensive line:

“I think (Jon Jansen) did ok. Again, it’s a matter of consistency. They only had 17 plays, and so we’ll get a chance to see them more this week. It’s that concentration level over a long period of time and having that great pass set every play not for just 15 or 16 plays, so this will be a real test for these guys to come out and be consistent. (Jansen) is improving and he’s becoming more comfortable with the group. Randy Thomas had to go out a little bit sooner than we wanted him to because of the muscle in his leg, but we’ve just got to keep them working. This will be a great opportunity for us to go against an outstanding defense.”

On the wide receivers:

“I think they’re all getting to know each other. Even out here, each and every practice the receivers are figuring more and more ways to be efficient, to take a step and go full speed. I think what they realize is that when they do they’re getting open and they’re getting the ball. As they see the results, they continue that high level of output on every play. They’re getting better and better.”

Redskins Tight End Jason Goode

On his toe injury:

“It’s nothing big. I just suffered a little sprain, what they call a turf toe. The diagnosis is a little vague right now. It might take about a week or so [to heal], but it’s all up in the air right now. It’s just one of those things you have to deal with. I’m just hoping and praying for a speedy recovery, so I can get back out there and help the team win.”

On catching the game-winning TD against the Jets:

“It’s been kind of a shock for me. The idea of it hasn’t quite settled in yet. I’ve just been trying to keep up with the process of the day, learn the plays and get ready for Carolina.”

On getting ready for the upcoming game against the Carolina Panthers:

“The priority is always health. I want to make sure that my foot is ok and I want to get it healed up the best way and the quickest way possible. I want to go out there and do the best that I can, and at the same time prepare for Carolina and their defense. We’re working hard everyday to learn what [the Panthers] do on defense and what we can do to improve our techniques and skills as well.”

On trying to earn a roster spot:

“I feel as though I just need to go out there everyday and give it all I’ve got. I have complete trust in the coaches, and they’ll make the right decisions and the necessary decisions that they need to. On my part, I need to go out there and give it 100 percent, stay consistent and work on my techniques. Hopefully it will all work out for the best.”

Redskins Running Back Marcus Mason

On his performance:

“I feel good. I’m just trying to have fun right now. Last year it was hard for me because I was a little star-struck. Now I’m comfortable and just ready to have fun.”

On playing against second and third-string defenses:

“I come out and practice everyday against one of the best defenses in the league, so that helps us as a second-string offense or whatever going against other second-string defenses. Going against those guys in practice everyday prepares us really well for other teams.”

On earning a spot on the roster:

“My goal is to play somewhere, but I really want to be here. I love the players and I love the coaching staff, and I can’t see myself anywhere else.”

On special teams:

“I’ve made a couple tackles this year and I’ve made blocks and a few other things that I didn’t do last year. I didn’t make any tackles last year and I missed a couple blocks last year, but now I think I’m getting it.”

Redskins Running Back Rock Cartwright

On his performance against the Jets:

“The big run was the only positive thing in the game. I missed a lot of reads and I could have made a lot more yards out there. The big run was fine, but I would rather be 100 percent. There were a lot of things I could have done better out there, but it was a decent run for us and a good thing for me to put on tape. I hope I get the opportunity to bust some more like that.”

On what the team needs to improve heading into the season:

“We need to execute better, we need to finish drives, we need better technique and we’ve got to put points on the board. If you don’t put points on the board, you’re going to lose football games. Winning the game in the NFL is tough to begin with, so getting a win is a positive. We’ll just take [the game against the Jets] as a learning experience and try to get better. I think we can do better and correct our mistakes.”

On helping the younger players:

“There is always somebody out there trying to get your position and take your job so you can never relax in this business, but I’m all for the team. If I can help a guy that’s going to help us win football games, then that’s what I’m going to do. Marcus [Mason] is doing a great job right now and I’m happy to help him out if I can. [When I was a rookie], Stephen Davis kind of took me under his wing and showed me what to do and what not to do and how to practice as a pro. I was fortunate to come in here with a good group of veterans that took me under their wing.”

On special teams:

“In this offense with the two backs (Clinton Portis and Ladell Betts) we have you’re never going to get a carry. The only way to get on the field is special teams and I take pride in that and Marcus [Mason] is doing the same right now. It’s a positive thing. I’m not really worried about carrying the ball right now.”

Redskins Tackle Justin Geisinger

On his injury:

“It’s not too serious of an injury. I think my leg got caught up in a defensive lineman or something, but it’s not a big deal. It’s just a minor setback and hopefully I’ll be practicing this week and I’ll be back against Carolina. I tried to give it a go against the Jets last week, and I just felt like I needed a little bit more rest. I feel like [my leg] is getting stronger and I’ll be able to go.”

On trying to earn a roster spot despite the setback:

“[The injury] is unfortunate, but these things happen. It’s a physical game and unfortunately sometimes injuries do occur. I feel like I’m a fast healer and I haven’t had a big history of injuries in the past, so hopefully I’ll be back at it this week. I’m just looking forward to getting back out there on the practice field today and moving it around a little bit.”

On offensive line coach Joe Bugel’s return:

“It’s just great to have him back. He’s a big part of the family here. It’s great to have him back and have his guidance and have him back coaching us on the field. I know he’s excited to be back. There is a lot of technique work we need to do and some things we need to correct from this past game, so it’s great to have him to help us get back on track.”

On the upcoming pre-season game against the Carolina Panthers:

“There are only so many opportunities for guys to show they belong. Fortunately we had the opportunity of playing in the Hall of Fame Game (a fifth pre-season game). I’m just looking forward to getting back on the practice field this week. I wasn’t able to get as much playing time during this past game, but I’m looking forward to getting out there and showing what I can do.”

Redskins Linebacker Rocky McIntosh

On recovering from knee surgery:

“Just being out there you have to play full speed, so that’s what I’m going to do no matter how I feel or what point I’m at. As soon you step between those white lines it’s either hit or be hit, and I don’t want to be hit. I’m just going with the flow, coming out here and practicing, getting the run around and things like that. I want to come out here and play like everyone else.”

On what to expect from him this season:

“Every year is a new year and I want to continue to go out there and make plays. I want to keep up with London (Fletcher) and Marcus (Washington).”

Redskins Wide Receiver Malcolm Kelly

On possibly playing this weekend against the Carolina Panthers:

“You know the way I felt today, it could be a possibility. It’ll just have to be a game day decision. I ran for the first time yesterday and I wasn’t even doing nearly as much as I was doing today. We’ll just have to see (on Saturday).

On what he worked on in practice:

“I went through all the routes and things like that. I was working at half to three-quarter speed. I didn’t open it all the way up. I was trying to see how much I could do.”

Redskins Offensive Lineman Jon Jansen

On how important it is to win in the pre-season:

“We’ve been in this position before, but on the other side. We told ourselves that it wasn’t important to win a pre-season (game) and all trying to make the best of it at that point, but being 3-0 feels better than 2-1. Being able to score as an offense and just getting the rhythm of a game and learning how to win is really important. It’s huge going into the regular season knowing that we have won some games.”

On having offensive line coach Joe Bugel back:

“Whenever a family member goes through something like that, and Joe is part of the Redskins family, it’s hard to see someone struggle through that. Now that I have kids of my own and daughters specifically, nobody should have to go through that. If there is anything we can do, we want to make ourselves available to Joe and his family. There’s no replacement for Joe.”

Redskins Cornerback Carlos Rogers

On interacting with the team and being back from the hospital:

“I was able to walk around, see the game and talk to some of the guys. It is kind of hard because you want to be out there, not staying in a hospital bed, with rehab and the pain. I’m just glad to be back out here.”

On how he is feeling being back from his injury:

“I’m trying to be the best I can. The sleeve is holding me back. If it’s going to swell up, it’s going to swell up with or without the sleeve. If I get hit on, the sleeve won’t stop me from getting hit. I’m going out there like nothing happened.”

Redskins Quarterback Jason Campbell

On being pleased with the game last Saturday:

“It was an ugly win, but at the same time a win is a win. You have to take them all as they come. It’s all about going out there, playing and having fun. There were a lot of positive things and a couple of a things we could have hit, but that’s part of pre-season.”

On being impressed with what Marcus Mason has done:

“He’s an exciting young player. He has a great running ability and a great feel for the game. He works hard every day at practice. I was glad to see him out there with the chance to make a name for himself out on the football field. I’d say the guys in front of him did a great job opening up some holes for him and that’s what it’s all about. I was proud of our running game. It puts defense on their heels.”

On what he has to do for the upcoming game against the Panthers:

“Everyone always thinks that this is a dress rehearsal but we have to approach this as a regular season game. No matter how long we are playing you have to go out there and fight and stay in the game. We are playing against a tremendous defense, so it’s definitely a challenge. To get ready to go we have to press on through the pre-season.”

Story URL: http://was.scout.com/2/780685.html

Posted by: Site Staff to da Post | August 19, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Nate? Did you remember to pack your meds?

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 19, 2008 1:00 AM | Report abuse

Good pick in Murrell; he was done I guess when he arrived here.

That reminds me of Chad Morton.
Man, he made all kinds of plays and returns before coming to the Skins.
Nothing here....

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 19, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Chad "All Six" Mortons did suck, but didnt really take to many staps........

Posted by: chrIS lArry and nate pdx | August 19, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I'd love to stay up and discuss this further folks, but I have to work tomorrow.
How about one more hugely disappointing back in the Trung Candidate sphere:

Jim Kick
He was great in Miami w/ Larry Czonka, but done by the time we got him. I was a teen when he arrived here. He played maybe one year for us and was out of the league...

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | August 19, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

The only people worse than our two looser rookie recievers and our over the hill right tackle in Jansen, is The Vinny himself.

Can we get a real GM please. I'm tired off seeing the Skins loose...

Posted by: M&M | August 19, 2008 1:09 AM | Report abuse

I can think of a few women I met along the way who were looser than Jansen, Vinny, and the entire receiving corps of the RedDawgs put together.

Just sayin'...

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 19, 2008 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Redskins ray.....Skip Hicks

M&M mellow out man it RI After Dark....

Posted by: chrIS lArry and nate pdx | August 19, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

loose women and loose joints right willie!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: chrIS lArry and nate pdx | August 19, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Trung Canidate might not have been so terrible if Spurrier hadn't insisted on bringin' in Shane Matthews and Danny Weurfel at QB.
Nate, cHrIS, I'ma grab a hef and be right back.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 19, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

joints? man, i knew i forgot somethin'...

be right back...

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 19, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

And while we're on the subject, where is Chia tonite?

Who's day was it to watch the boy and make sure he got to RI this evenin', hmmm?

I bet he could name a sorry-ass RB the Skins had.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 19, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

OK willie go toke up, we are simultaneously researching marginal skins RBs and the neo-creationist leanings of Greg Easterbrook!

Posted by: chrIS lArry and nate pdx | August 19, 2008 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Easterbrook was raised as a Baptist...

Well, that'll scar ya for life, right there...

Posted by: Anonymous | August 19, 2008 1:29 AM | Report abuse

This is way harder than it looks.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 19, 2008 1:39 AM | Report abuse

I was so, so impressed with the Cleveland first string tonight. You never want to show anything during pre-season, and the Browns did the best job of not showing anything that I've ever seen.

Bravo.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 19, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Astute analysis combined with biting wit?

Freak, you made the roster.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 19, 2008 1:45 AM | Report abuse

Sweet! Now I can go to bed.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 19, 2008 2:11 AM | Report abuse

Y'all have gone full retard on dis here blog

Posted by: TDawg for Kirk Lazurus | August 19, 2008 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes this blog is interesting and fun.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | August 18, 2008 11:09 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, your RI Nation!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2008 5:53 AM | Report abuse

By the way, the joint posting with Nate and Chris Larry was just wierd.

Here's something to spark debate: where would you rank Clinton Portis among Redskins backs all time? With just over 4600 yards and 33 tds, he now ranks 4th in Redskins history and needs 2,856 yards and 46 tds to beat Riggins' all-time records in those categories. Do you think he beats those records? Does Zorn's offense help him in that endeavor? Does he even play here in the next couple years? Just something to kick around.

I personally think it all depends on how much he's got left in the tank. I think he's done here in about 3 years. In that time (if healthy), I think he can definitely break the rushing record, but I think he'll be short on the TDs. As of today, I'd place him 3rd behind Riggins and Stephen Davis.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2008 6:10 AM | Report abuse

I see Portis also breaking the yardage record but not so sure about the TDs. If he's here for four more years than that record is possible. I know the old school crowd would have Portis behind Larry Brown but for me 26 is now number 2 - of course he could come down from that if his play slips to what some see now.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 19, 2008 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Ben, I never saw Larry Brown play but I think CP is in his league. From what I understand, the biggest knock on Brown was that he only played about 8 years--if he played longer, he'd likely have some of these records.

I have a hard time putting CP ahead of Stephen Davis, though. I know he wasn't here that long, but that stretch from 1999-2001 was so good that it's hard for me to let that go. There's something to be said about breaking the team's single-season rushing record twice in 3 years. Plus, for a big-back, he's got a better yards-per-rush average than Portis, who's supposed to be a home-run back.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2008 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Here's something else interesting: ESPN had fans vote for the one player considered the face of every NFL team's franchise. Here's the link:

Of course, our own Darrell Green was selected for the Skins. But we have some ammo for Ravens fans: Matt Stover? A kicker? Not Ray Lewis or Jonathan Ogden, but Matt Stover?

And how sad are the Saints that Bobby Hebert was selected for New Orleans? Really? Not Archie Manning or Ricky Williams or Joe Horn. Bobby f-ing Hebert!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2008 7:08 AM | Report abuse

In addition to the above post from ESPN:

Washington Redskins: Franchise player

August 18, 2008 1:01 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Readers' pick: Darrell Green, CB

Not that he didn't deserve top honors, but you have to think Darrell Green's timing was pretty good for being voted No. 1. Green and Art Monk grabbed the top two spots a couple of weeks after being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Running back John Riggins may be the most iconic player in franchise history and that's why I was surprised to see him check in at No. 4 on the list, one spot behind quarterback Sammy Baugh. In some franchises, the old-timers got the shaft in SportsNation voting, but Redskins fans showed off their knowledge by taking care of some of the past greats.

Quarterback Joe Theismann finished one spot ahead of Hall of Famer Sonny Jurgensen, but that's not a big surprise. He led the team to a couple of Super Bowls, and still spends time around the organization.

Anyone who watched Ken Houston play safety knows that he's too far down on the list. Dexter Manley was a tremendous player, but to put him ahead of Houston and wide receiver Charley Taylor doesn't seem right.

And is it too much to get one of the Hogs on the list? Russ Grimm, Joe Jacoby, I'll vote for both of those guys. Only one more major problem with this list: If I'm going to get called "Mark" my entire life because of a Redskins kicker, Mark Moseley has to be on the list.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 19, 2008 7:12 AM | Report abuse