Man I Hope This Is My Second-To-Last Arch Post

Okay, Arch scheduled to take his physical in Chicago in late afternoon. So should he pass that bad boy ths deal will finally be done.

Chances are, I will get word of wether or not he actually passed that physical while doing this WashPost/ Comcast show this afternoon, so not sure how happy the producers will be if I answer my cell right in the middle of a segment, but so be it. That's my problems not yours. Either way, unles I get a second to call Cyn Cyty with the details and have her post it on the blog, am I going to be sans computer until I get home around 7:30 or so.

Anyway, barring him somehow failing this thing - and he had no problem passing Washington's pre-or-post-season physical - it'll become official tonight. As I reported yesterday, the Skins wil kick in $500,000 to the Bears towards that $5 million bonus, so Arch Deluxe will count $4.5 million in deap space and then be gone.

Also, a lot of people have reported that Arch will get $8.1 over 3 years in his new deal with the Bears, but not so fast. I have heard that in fact, he did agree to void out a bunch of years of the existing contract with the Skins and will make essentially the vet. min in base salary all three years, with the total $7.1 over three years, including the $5 million bonus.

The deal does include $1 million in incentives, and not entirely out of reach incentives, which coulld bring the entire take to $8.1 for AD should he reach them. But the raw numbers are $7.1 over 3.

The Skins would have paid him $11.2 million over the first three years of his old deal, so in camparison to that the Bears got a bargain and AD clearly left a big chunk on the table just to get out of dodge.

Then again, to flip the script, the Redskins gave him $5.6 million for one season - about the going rate for a quality safety in free agency (although obviously way too much for any team's "personal protector") - while the Bears will pay him an average of $2.4 million a season, less than half of that.

My gut is the guy ends up chipping in on the pass rush and around the line of scrimmage and becomes a solid cog in a very stout defense. He won't have to be a stud there - heck, he probably won't even be a starter - but I have a feeling Lovie brings out the best in him.

We'll see what the Skins do with the extra cap room they've created in 2008, and what becomes of the sixth rounder they get from the Bears. And, please, let's all pray he passes the physical, because if the last three days on this blog have all been for naught, then I think I might hurl on my shoes.

Oh, and before I get going, just wanted to give a big blog shout-out to my pal Art (you know who you are). If ticking you off is wrong, I don't wanna be right. Some men are born to lead and blaze their own trail, and others are inspired to be message-board mouthpieces for the rich and famous who dare not speak for themselves.

Keep fighting the good fight, boss. You're a true believer, kid, and I love you for it. Don't ever change.

By Jason La Canfora  |  March 22, 2007; 2:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Putting The Baby To Bed (A.K.A - Can't We All Just Get Along?)
Next: Off Duty

Comments

Nothing surprising. Smart deal by someone.

Glad someone fought the goos fight.

Posted by: Lurker | March 22, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

GOODNIGHT! if it all falls through god help us
still think a 6th rounderis yery poor??

Posted by: ONE4ALLSKINS | March 22, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"Anyway, barring him somehow failing this thing - and he had no problem passing Washington's pre-or-post-season physical - it'll become official tonight."

This, to me, is the sum of all fears. Shawn Springs passed his post-season physical (with a sports hernia) after the playoff run, so passing the Skins physical does not inspire confidence. In St. Louis, AA had concussion sending him to the hospital and a back injury (described as "disk issues") that led him to his individualized trainer. Add in a bone spur and microfracture somewhere in the foot, and Chicago might be lingering in the produce section ... hmmm, peach or lemon, peach or lemon ... hmmm.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Taking swipes at a dude who runs a fan site really seems beneath you, and the Post.

Posted by: aredskinsfan | March 22, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

LMAO @ calling out that tool Art. The guy clearly has a mancrush on Snyder.

Posted by: Say What? | March 22, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen my Ass-tro glide?

Posted by: Jenny | March 22, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Found this on the Arizona Wildcats website ... looks like the reason Derrick Frost got a tender offer instead of being signed outright:

Nick Folk gives Arizona one of the nation's more complete kickers... Earned honorable mention All-Pacific-10 Conference... Stepped up and handled the punting duties as well as his placekick chores after Danny Baugher's injury in seventh game, and finished with league-best 44.7-yard average on a substantial 22 punts, sticking eight inside the 20 with only two touchbacks... Had career-best 61-yard punt against Washington... Big leg, with 62-yard field goal in 2006 Spring Game... Meantime, made seven of 11 field goal tries (two were blocked) including a 51-yarder against Purdue... Superb duty as kickoff specialist, giving Arizona one of the nation's best net kickoff averages, with a 64.0 average and an average starting point at the right spot, the 20 yard-line.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Wait, it's a different Art right? I was just kidding about Cetera. He's a chooch...My name isn't really even Art..

Bucktown, I laughed when I saw it. I'm not sure if that's good or bad because I am laughing at myself. You don't want to be the guy that laughs at his own jokes. That guy is a bama and he usually roots for the cowboys.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | March 22, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

So JLC couldn't leave off today without an insulting swipe at someone, this time "Art":

"If ticking you off is wrong, I don't wanna be right. Some men are born to lead and blaze their own trail, and others are inspired to be message-board mouthpieces for the rich and famous who dare not speak for themselves."

Very professional, JLC. Good representation of the WaPo's sportswriting staff.

I guess you can JLC out of Baltimore, but we'll apparently never take the Baltimore out of JLC.

Posted by: Rennypolis | March 22, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

And, with that, JLC's week of insulting people continuuuues.....

Posted by: Bed, Bethesda, and Beyond | March 22, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

JLaC is the bomb....And I love that he likes mixing it up both intellectually and imaturaly....thats why I occasionally like to be on the other side of the fight...

So good show man!

If he flunks physical, and you puke can you youtube that please?!

On to more important mantters....who is "Art" I missed the whole joke here...this is the only fanboy skins thing I do so I missed the reference...can someone fill me in...I want to laugh to....

Posted by: chris Larry | March 22, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"I can't tell you what hotel I'm staying at, but there are two trees involved."

Posted by: Lavar Walt Clark | March 22, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I hope by your remark you aren't calling Snyder out to be a media owner. The thing that separates him from Jerry Jones, IMO, is he keeps his face and voice out of the media. I remember early in his ownership he was criticized for showing his face too much.
We can't rip him for everything on both sides of every issue.

Posted by: Jason | March 22, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Lavar Walt Clark, no matter what happens the rest of this week, I want you to know that I am smelling the schlitz you're stepping in.

'An escalator can never be out of order. It can only be stairs. The sign should say: 'Escalator currently stairs, sorry for the convenience. You can still get up there.'

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | March 22, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Art is the extremeskins moderator/guru... I believe.

And I believe they have a long standing feud.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | March 22, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Marshall Faulk retires and Adam Schefter writes what looks like an obituary.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Bucktown, maybe yes, maybe no. J-LaC has put lots of blog shouts at the end of blogs to unnamed people who send him email directly. ES has several mods, not just Art and Om.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Other Jason, Jerry Jones has the job title of "General Manager." Admittedly, sounds like a hard fire for the owner of that team, but among other things, he really does do the GM job and is the only owner in the NFL who is allowed to be on the field during the game b/c he has that GM hat.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Classic. much like Bucktown's t-shirts. I will be purchasing forthwith.

Posted by: LWC | March 22, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Adam Schefter is an awful AWFUL writer.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | March 22, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I will be forever greatfull to Dan Snyder for adding the escalator to the top deck.

Posted by: Throwback | March 22, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"If ticking you off is wrong, I don't wanna be right."

Props for the "shout" to the late great Luther Ingram.

A true R&B artist! He will be missed.

RIP, my brotha...RIP

Posted by: bornafan | March 22, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

We've been hearing since the second week of camp that he was a misfit for this defense. Okay, in English, what was there different about the way the Skins play their safeties that rendered him so ineffective? By the way, I see the Washington Times sports page tore into poor Adam, and (I assume by way of gratitude), they were given early assurances that Omar Stoutmire had been signed.

Posted by: Dave | March 22, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

FTW!

Posted by: SpellCheck | March 22, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Too much Drama not enough ITA me thinks lately.

AM2DStix,

That guy was a comedic genius. He died too young.

Posted by: Skinz | March 22, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Hadn't heard about Mitch Hedberg till today (don't have cable). Funny stuff, may he rest in peace.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Art not only runs extremeskins -- he flat out writes whatever Snyder wants him to. The guy actually posted a long thread today detailing how trading for Brandon Lloyd was a good move for the skins. He simply has no creditibility at all. Who knows? Maybe he's angling for Cerrato's job.

Posted by: Chris | March 22, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

They're stirred up nice and good on Extremeskins. This blog pummels that pathetic factory of inane drivel.

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | March 22, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Art and Extremeskins are to Dan Snyder exactly what Bill O'Rilley and Fox 'News' are to the Bush Administration...
And both are not unlike the Nazi propaganda machine.

Posted by: Diesel | March 22, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I like reading the JLC blog but I think
personal attacks are supposed to be removed
from the site - or does this apply only to commentors???

Posted by: sknzfan | March 22, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Om, Art, and Bubba all mouthpieces for Snyder and Gibbs. They'd be a lot better off if they just admitted that.

Posted by: Warpath | March 22, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Chris, Wes, Diesel, Warpath, negativity not necessary. Only invites more negativity. ES is still a sometimes useful source of 'new' information and Skins info.

Moving on ... or, in my case, not ... check out what our Chicago counterparts are blogging about the Archuleta trade:

Seems like the consensus is that they are mostly only happy to have someone who stays healthier than current safety, Mike Brown.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Dude, WTF?

That comment tacked on the end seems more appropriate for an incensed message board post than a professional sports blog.

Seriously now - if you want to disagree with the Art guy about something, fine, whatever, but making comments like that is way over the line, and you should know it.

Let homer fans be homer fans, no need to give them the finger for liking their team so damn much...I just don't get where that invective came from. What did that guy ever do to you?

Let's try to be mature about this and get back to covering the team, maybe?

Posted by: Waitaminnit | March 22, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Quit acting like a petulant child.

I'm sure your editors will be thrilled to know you're stirring up acrimony with online fan sites.

If you're this petty and thin-skinned, you will be a sorry excuse for a father.

Extremeskins is THE premiere NFL fan site on the internet. Get over it.

Posted by: MCMETAL | March 22, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Skins site JUST posted an update note about the Archuleta trade NOT being final with some Vinny quotes. Something tells me the physical in Chicago is not going well ...

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

ES is also the biggest friggin' toolbox on the interwebs.

Posted by: Wes Mantooth | March 22, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Taken from one of the bloggers on that chicagotribune site:

"The recent aquisition of Adam Archuleta is HUGE. This gives them back some of the depth they have lost in the defensive secondary, while giving them one of the best strong safeties ever to play the cover2."

Ummm. Uhhh. Dahhhh.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 22, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

"Extremeskins is THE premiere NFL fan site on the internet."

Let me correct that for you. You obviously meant to write --

"Extremeskins is THE premire Redskins Propaganda site on the internet, where the editors -- all paid by Snyder -- can spin even a 5-11 season as something to be proud of."

There's, that's better.

Posted by: To McMetal | March 22, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Extremeskins is never wrong and neither is Uncle Dan. Where's my draft chart?

Posted by: ES Homer | March 22, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

dcseen,
It's a shame when the truth happens to be negative, but that's the case here.
But I agree, no need to dwell on it, though.

Posted by: Diesel | March 22, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm an extremeskins member, but I can say that Art is pretty obnoxious. I've met him in person and have a number of friends who know him, and we tend to agree that Art has a pretty big ego and the maturity of a 4 year old. I don't blame JLC for calling him out.

Posted by: Dylan | March 22, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

JLC,

According to Art, you only got the Skins beat reporter gig because Mark Maske was fired for "refusing to go to war against the Redskins."

True or false?

Posted by: Matt B | March 22, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Jason, get over yourself. A personal swipe at a fan site mod? God, this is getting embarassing. I am embarassed for you. Short man's disease, perhaps?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 22, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Too funny JLC

What happened to the pro reporter I met back when he was covering the Caps and I was an aspiring high school sports editor

Ah, stardom

Take on Extremeskins and its 60k membership

What is funny is that ES was around LONG before the Redskins bought it

Seeing that the mods there are the same now as they were before the merger, where on earth does this "working for the Redskins" or "mouthpiece for the rich and famous" come from?

Not once since August of 2005 has anyone presented a shred of evidence that these guys are on the payroll. They get press passes. Whopee

Posted by: Falls Church VA | March 22, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

"People who can't tell the difference between a blog and a real newspaper need to get out of computer-nerd school."

It's a blog that is officially connected with a "real newspaper", in case you hadn't noticed.

But nice argument. Really. Wow, you sure showed me. WTF does that statement of yours even ~mean~?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 22, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

What is funny is that ES was around LONG before the Redskins bought it

Posted by: Falls Church VA | March 22, 2007 05:47 PM

you answered your own question before you even asked.

Posted by: ru kidding | March 22, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Is it too late to get my salad tossed?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 22, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I wish I had an avatar, I wish I had an avatar . . .

NOT!

ES is for losErS.

Posted by: Otter | March 22, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, press passes for games?

Yea, thats really getting "paid"

Posted by: To rukidding | March 22, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Give me a break. Want proof that Art, Om, and Bubba are on Danny's payroll? Read ANYTHING they post.

Just a week ago they were praising Arculeta and saying he was going to be a force for the skins next year. Now, of course, he was always a bum and will always be one. But then they still insist getting him was a good move. Huh? It's actually pretty funny.

Posted by: Andrew | March 22, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Andrew | March 22, 2007 05:55 PM

For ef's sake dude

Bubba ain't even a mod. Dude lives in Ronoake VA for crying out loud

Pull up some posts of them saying AA was going to be a "force" next year

Oh wait you can't. Damn they never posted that did they?

Loser

Posted by: Falls Church VA | March 22, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Ah Geez, here we go again.

Art is, in fact, the ES moderator. They are getting their piss and venom up over there. Art responds, says Jason is telling lies about him and that other WaPo beat writers tell HIM (Art) stuff about Jason.

Somebody better tell the principal that there's gonna be a fight on the playground after school. You've seen this before. About 600 kids are going to show up. Jason and Art start trash talking each other. A punch is thrown, but it doesn't land. They end up wrestling around for about 30 seconds. They each get up, all dirty and sweaty. One of them has a bloody lip.

JLaC, this is choochy. Art (I know you're reading this too), you are just as choochy. You both get a week's detention.

Back to the Skins ... I had a completely legitimate conversation topic about Greg Blache in that last post. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

And Blog War II begins...

I am always up for it and have WaPo and Jason's back like the RI grunt that I am....

I was just reading through some posts on ES...wow what morons...

Classic quote:

"I'm a very smart guy, and I can smell cr*p a mile away."

When you have to announce your smart, it sort of proves your not to bright...

Here is "Arts" official retort:

Very amusing.

Given Jason reads this site more often than anyone reads his blog, I'll tell him here what he probably won't see there. Jason. You haven't made me angry. I'm not one bit ticked off by you. I tried to deal with you honestly and in a friendly fashion. I was surprised you felt it was necessary to tell a lie about me we both know you told. Others around you, closer to you than you know, enjoy telling me stories about how much of an impact I apparently make on you despite NEVER having been anything but respectful and nice to you.

Perhaps that's a flaw in me, who knows. I know I misjudged you and while not angry, do feel bad about the lack of character in you that allows you to have said the lies you have.

I believe the problem may well be that you went to J-school, busted your hump covering little stuff, grew as a reporter and worked your way to the press box of NFL games covering a major beat for a major paper and I just happened to enjoy the team enough to accomplish the same thing.

While you blog in the woods with no one there very frequently, it seems to upset you that so many more people read about and care about what is said here than care about what you might come up with. I can understand that. It has to suck to be "on duty" blogging during the draft a year ago, exchanging comments with three Post employees and two devoted fans, leading you to believe no one cared while here, tens of thousands of posts and hundreds of thousands of page reads were registered.

It probably distresses you to know if I cared about doing it again, I could do exactly what you do better than you. My hobby, Jason, is reading stuff about the Redskins and talking about it. Indeed, that's what I like doing. It's what I'll do whenver I can. Another flaw probably .

It's good to know your hobby is reading the board and being inspired to talk to me. You really ought to come over here and post directly. But, I know that you don't do well dealing directly with people when you can deal falsely behind their back.

Posted by: chris Larry | March 22, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

They can't do that to our pledges!

Posted by: Otter | March 22, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, press passes for games?

Yea, thats really getting "paid"

Posted by: To rukidding | March 22, 2007 05:54 PM

the team owns "extremeskins". it is owned by the team. again, the team is the owner of the fansite. it is not just a blog, like this. if you missed the point, the team is the owner of the site.

Posted by: ru kidding | March 22, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Dylan,

You write: "As for comments about JLC's lack of professionalism, this is a friggin blog. JLC has the right to say if he doesn't like someone. It's not unprofessional for him to do so either. People who can't tell the difference between a blog and a real newspaper need to get out of computer-nerd school."

You are right, this is a blog - but it is NOT THE SAME AS EVERY OTHER BLOG OUT THERE. Why? Because it is run by the Washington Post Company, and the "mediator" (more like incitor, these days) is PAID by the WaPo to BOTH write formal articles AND write for the blog.

In case you missed this important point, I'll say it again: JLC is paid to write by the WaPo. Period. Whether it is an article or for the blog, he represents the WaPo and is part of a staff of sportswriters. Read all the other WaPo sports blogs - never any personal attacks there. Why? Because they all know they are employees of a professional news organization being paid to report, regardless of the format. PERIOD.

Why JLC does not seem to get this, I'll never understand. But he makes the whole WaPo sports section look bad with his insults and condescension.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 22, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Kick his butt, JLC. Art is such a little wuss. I was fortunate enough to be in the press box for his infamous "fight" with scumbag Len Pasquerelli. Art backed down so fast -- it was pathetic. Of course, that's not how he reported the whole escapade to the extremeskins faithful.

Posted by: Stick and Move! | March 22, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I actually JLaC made a brilliant move. He saw he and the regulars getting testy with eachother, sensed some fallout and instead diverted attention by re flaming ES/Art and rallying the RI troops to once again pull together and fight off the interlopers, resolidifying our blind devotion to JLaC/RI

Jason = Leonides...

RI are the Spartans
ES the pesrsian empire...

Posted by: chris Larry | March 22, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Skins site says they just released David Patten. Any body surprised? I felt bad for him (right after I was pissed at him) for those last two passes he dropped in that last game against the Giants. If he caught either of those, he'd be back. Swan song. Well, he got the Super Bowl jewelry in his career anyway.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

David Patten just got his salad tossed right out of DC

Posted by: Anonymous | March 22, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

YO ES chuckle heads....

The Geneva conventions of Fanboy Blogwars state:

"Thou must sign your posts! Pick a silly name, or come correct and use a name thats recognizable on either or both sites...BUT YOU SHALL NOT LOB UNSIGNED POSTS!!!!!"

Posted by: chris Larry | March 22, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

The internal politics at Redskins Park does become more and more interesting all the time. It might behoove Dan "Do you even remember who Larry Brown was, and that he became the very best tail-back in the league in spite of a disability?" Snyder to move the office to Front Royal somewhere and let Gibbs manage things.

It looks to me like the Redskins have now reasonably shored up the middle of the defense. If Shawn Springs is moved to Safety it should be one of the best in a while. From tackle to safety. That is if Fletcher pans out. Except for Pierce they've had problems with that position since old terp Olkewicz manned it.

The problems are now on the edges. Moving Marshall to the outside should help. Andre Carter now has a had a year to adjust to defensive end again. They need some ends who can stop the run. But more than than they need another cover corner. They still haven't managed to replace Champ. Look how important he is to the Bronco defense. I expect the 'Skins to trade down and go for the best possible cover corner first. Use the additional choices to try to come up with some additional players. Meanwhile Daniels is still there as is Wynn. You can never have too many good cover corners.

I think the Archuleta trade is as much about that as anything else. The coaching staff has determined that the middle of the defense needs strengthening. At that point the 'Skins could field a pretty good 3-4. Blasphemy to the 'Bone perhaps.

Expect to see a guard-tackle (as usual) and perhaps another quarterback somewhere as well.

I think this is what you will see if Gibbs is in control.

Posted by: P. | March 22, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

vertical line, you said "... and the "mediator" (more like incitor, these days) is PAID by the WaPo to BOTH write formal articles AND write for the blog."

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

"Take on Extremeskins and its 60k membership"

you do realize that over 50k of those members are fake right? Go look how many members have signed up but never poster, or never returned after the day the signed up. Its called inflating numbers.

Go to Alexa.com and look at the traffic rankings cowboyszone.com gets more traffic even though they only (only?) have 8,900 members. ES punps up their numbers so they can call themselves the biggest even though they are not even close

Posted by: truth | March 22, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

P., Springs is the #1 CB unless and until released or traded. Moving him to safety is worse for his skill set (really, his injury set) b/c the Grilliams' D safeties have to more to stop the run and blitz the QB.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

hahahha

cL is fired up!!

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | March 22, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Arguing on The Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you are still retarded.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 22, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, wherever you are, click on the WaPo sports page for the link to the ComCast/WaPo sports thing. They (the moderator and Jason) asks some questions of Shawn Springs in AZ. In streaming video, Springs smiles and laughs, which I know you dig.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 6:15 PM | Report abuse

"I actually asked Jason about this second part and its not accurate. He gets nothing extra for the blog duties other than a thank you from the boss."

I call bull**** on this. Jason?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 22, 2007 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh man. Art got punked by Lenny P? Say it ain't so.

Posted by: Conor | March 22, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I know can't we get a better champion to go against Lenny P than "Art"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: CHRIS Larry | March 22, 2007 6:20 PM | Report abuse

vertical line, I call bull**** on anonymous posts.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I call bull**** on this. Jason?

Posted by: | March 22, 2007 06:15 PM

'Tis true, un-named poster, 'tis true. JLaC isn't getting paid. Now, get a clue, get a name and stick with it, or get to steppin' back to ES.
Damn- cL got me all fired up.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 22, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

RI Rulz
ES Droolz
Signing ur post rules
Anon posts are for Foolz

Posted by: cHRIS Larry | March 22, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I may partially recant -- Jason never said he got a thank you from the boss.

Cyn Cyty, where are you? BK King got your tongue?

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey, let JLC be a express himself sometimes. most of us are pricks and but-wipes so let the man have some fun at the job. He might want to actually strangle the guy. At least he did not post a bunch of cursing tirades inn response to some of these posts. Art is a grown man and can defend himself admirably I am quite sure. I bet he got a kick out of the acknowledgement.

Posted by: RobGreg | March 22, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I still don't understand the double standard here that people are using to crucify JLC for making a snide remark about Art. JLC has a blog that is connected to the WaPo. Art has a blog that is connected to the Redskins. Neither are paid (presumably) for their work. Their blogs are directly linked to, or a part of, the WaPo's website and Redskins website. JLC made smart ass remarks about Art and vice-versa. Yet, JLC is being ridiculed for making "comments" on his blog about Art, but Art is escaping ridicule for making "comments" about JLC.

Maybe you could reply that "Well Art's an idiot, so we hold JLC to a higher standard." Or you could say, "Well the Post is an established news outlet whereas The Redskins/Extremeskins are a joke." But I personally don't see much of a difference between the two sides. Pretty petty and dumb.

Posted by: Dylan | March 22, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Oops, forgot to sign my last post. But am not part of ES in any way.

As for the status of RI and whether or not the "inciter in chief" is compensated for blogging: Ok, fine. Even IF JLC is not paid to blog on RI, the blog itself is still owned and operated by the WaPo Company. And the inciter, JLC, is an employee of that company. And anything posted on the blog by JLC still reflects on the organization - becasue he is its employee - whether JLC is paid or not.

Again, why JLC does not seem to get that he reflects his employer when he blogs, I'll never understand. Would the WaPo want to be associated, as a news organization, with personally attacking moderators of other sites (only one example of JLC's various attacks)? I don't think so. And yet they are when JLC does this. Unprofessional.

Posted by: Rennypolis | March 22, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

4-12, yesterday you said something about a shot of GM. Is that Grand Marnier or, um, hmm, glaucoma medicine?

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

> P., Springs is the #1 CB unless and until released or traded.
> Moving him to safety is worse for his skill set (really, his injury > set) b/c the Grilliams' D safeties have to more to stop the run
> and blitz the QB.

Taylor is the run stopper and 4 or 5th linebacker. I think you'll see some significant changes to Grilliams schemes. Springs may no longer have the ability to be the top cover corner one-on-one. But in zones his career might be extended. Smoot, Rogers, are not enough. They need at least one more guy who can cover one-on-one with top receivers. Priloeau is coming off an injury. Stoutmire is okay. Vernon Fox still learning. I believe Springs himself talked about this happening. In Grilliams schemes there appears to be a lot more mixing and matching.

Good corners provide a lot of flexibility ... especially if you like to blitz.

Posted by: P. | March 22, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Good gawd! There's been some good exchanges in last few days and then slowly it heads towards a pee pee contest. It's like being at the dog park and watching one dog after another sniff each other out and then go pee on the same spot.

It's my spot.
Oh yeah well now it's mine.
Nuh-uh I peed more.
Look at me pee!
I'm peeing on your spot ha!
I'll show you by peeing on the spot too! Now whacha got to say!
Hey look I'm peeing too!
I may be small but I sure can pee. . . .

Ugh.

Posted by: sfskin | March 22, 2007 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the press never engages in editorializing/commenting about perceived idiots. [Insert roll of the eyes]. It's dumb, but not uncommon.

Posted by: Dylan | March 22, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Please stop with the unprofessional crap!

Its a blog, its fun sports banter, its good for hit counts, the post lobs opinions all over the place!

HIS BOSSES DONT CARE! ITS FUN!

He does his job and has cultivated one of the most active blogs on the site and since the WaPo.com is AD DRIVEN, they like that trust me...

Posted by: chris Larry | March 22, 2007 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Oh sfskin....lets us have some fun.....

Posted by: chris larry | March 22, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

sween- LMAO! Glaucoma Medicine...I wish, but the real world sadly dictates the GM in the bottle.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 22, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

And Dylan, the big difference is in the organizations.

Extremeskins is a fansite owned by the 'Skins. That all. All they do is fan support stuff. No real standards for them.

The Washington Post is a very different organization. It has publication standards that ES does NOT have. Therefore, there is a different standard for JLC than whoever this "Art" guy is.

JLC does a good job without the insults. Don't get why he sinks so low. What does he care if people don't like him for whatever reason? BFD.

Posted by: Rennypolis | March 22, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I will say this J-La I appreciate the emotion.
We've all had the straw that broke our camel's back with the Skins over the Snyder era and apparently AA trade is what did it for you. As some of you may have noticed I go all the way back to the *shudder* Jeff George signing.
But that's what fans do and most of us wouldn't be here if we weren't insane fans. . .we'll all drink the Kool Aid in the next few months no matter how much we resist and that's why I LOVE our fans.

And while I respect the WaPo as a great news organization let's not forget folks it's all business and if somehow this generates the dollahs no is going to care. This is an infotainment world that we're all living in and lapping up.

The WaPo does far better than most but any news outlet that spent anymore than 1 inch of space on Anna Nicole Smith has crossed the infotainment line into darkness.

I need a hug. Where's Sallie Mae?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 22, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Rennypolis,

Again, my point is that while the Post has certain publication standards that Extremeskins does not, a blog isn't subject to such standards. They are all riddled with wild speculation, poor grammar, misspellings, typos, etc. I guess I just view blogs differently than most people; I like them, but I think they are akin to stream-of-consciousness oral conversations. But, intelligent minds will differ......

Posted by: Dylan | March 22, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm really starting to long for the training camp insider days. Nice small group of folks who cared about each other and the 'skins. It is getting oh so petty these days...

Posted by: NewMexSkin | March 22, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Chris Larry - hey didn't mean to imply that one must be serious all the time. Watching the pee pee contest at the dog park can be a ton of fun it just gets a little dull after a while.
Need to mix it up, find a new spot, refill at the water bowl, chase a ball and then go!

Posted by: sfskin | March 22, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Screw these fanboy wars - they are a waste of bandwidth. "Otter" is a disgrace to the greater RI rodentia family of coked-up hamsters.

Greg Blache was at the Arkansas/Jamaal Anderson workout last week, so it seems like the Redskins may still be looking in that direction, depending on how they evaluated the workout. Having a DE development coach for Golston, Montgomery and some new draftees seems like a great idea. How about one of the existing roster DTs as "player-coach", and changing the designation to "coach" only if they need further cap relief?

The "trading down" draft option seems less likely as each day passes. The teams who still seem to be looking to trade up appear to be looking at Johnson only. Schaub quiets down Texas, and Carr may be going to the Vikings, so the Quinn move-up market seems dead with Cleveland looking like a QB drafting team. If Denver is really looking for a top DE, they may still be in play for a draft-day trade, but I think they were really looking at Johnson also. They can get a decent DE/DT at #21 at a lower cost, no loss of picks, and they get to use Bly for a year cheaply.

Russell, Quinn and Johnson seem like a foregone conclusion at 1-2-3 in the draft; which team takes who is still up for grabs. With Oakland still holding most of the cards, Atlanta seems the most likely to join the party if Johnson is still available, after gathering "move-up" draft picks via the Schaub trade.

Given all of that, the Redskins should take Landry at #6 and shore up the DE slots with late-round picks and/or June 1st help. (The Philly guy may be available then; so will other inexpensive pieces.) There is lots of depth in the draft for DEs to grab a "slender" high-motor pass rusher DE in the late rounds who may have just as much impact as an expensive Adams/Moss, etc.

Landry can play CB or FS. He ran a 4.35 and has played both positions in the past. Grabbing Landry gives the Redskins the option of letting Springs go for more picks (maybe a 2nd + a 5th from Detroit) or keeping Springs another year and having the best secondary in the league. Either way works for me.

Posted by: The Mole | March 22, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

4-12, thank you, I shall henceforth use the name you've given me. With a dash, lower case.

I STILL call bull**** on Jason being unpaid for this blog. Completely unpaid, you say? No reimbursement whatsoever for all his time?

If that is true, he's a fool. Although it might explain his near-constant whining about not spending enough time with his family. That got old about 1 post after it started.

For the record, I'm a lurker at ES (10 posts in 4 years) just as I (was) a lurker here.

I'm not in either camp, but I DO hold Jason to a higher standard because he is allegedly a professional journalist, as opposed to a sucessful fan site that got bought by The Danny.

I also am a vociferous complainer when Jason doesn't bother to read his posts before submitting - which is obvious when all the typos and misspellings get through. Back to that higher standard, again.

Actually, I can and do forgive his homophone errors, because the whole goddam* newspaper industry has fallen prey to auto-spellcheck problems since I was a lad...

Ah, never mind. 6 beers later, even I realize I'm rambling.

Posted by: un-named poster | March 22, 2007 6:46 PM | Report abuse

> Landry can play CB or FS. He ran a 4.35 and has played both
> positions in the past. Grabbing Landry gives the Redskins the
> option of letting Springs go for more picks (maybe a 2nd + a
> 5th from Detroit) or keeping Springs another year and having
> the best secondary in the league.

That seems like the best scenario if they keep #6. Exactly what they need. The end positions can be held down with what they have and later round picks.

One more "suggestion". SNYDER should show us he is FINALLY maturing and no longer some silly geek from Rockville. Sign La Var Arrington when he is sufficiently recovered. Arringtons' best chance to make a comeback is with the 'Skins in front of 'Skins fans. Dexter Manley sans the drugs. Well not quite, Dexter literally bled burgundy and gold. But close enough. Both sides need each other. And Joe Jackson he could not possibly be as big a pain as Dexter was? Arrington should also swallow crow, accept the huge pay cut put the massive amounts he has into safe investment plans and play to bring a superbowl to DC. Stick with Joe and stop opening his mouth.

Posted by: P. | March 22, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Damn I hit the gym and come and it's all hell. The hell with ITA! You don't come in our house talking smack and think we are not going to come back at you. Picking up the hammer. Let's get it on baby. Art and everyone else at ES that wants to step up can get a double smack in the back of the damn head and you bi*** kick to the ribs.

Posted by: jm220 | March 22, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

un-named poster- I like the name. It's all good. Since you're a self described lurker, I hope you know we do our best blogrambling when we're beer/wine/liquor fueled. On that note, homeward bound begins.

Posted by: 4-12 | March 22, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

If we dont trade down for more early picks then we have to go with a DE/DT. The secondary is good as long as springs stays but the D line is in drastic need for a young man beast to get in opposing QB's faces.

Posted by: Brutus | March 22, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

"and since the WaPo.com is AD DRIVEN, they like that trust me..."

Dude, try Firefox with the AdBlock add-on. No more WaPo ads, I promise.

Newly named. Thank you 4-12.

Posted by: un-named poster | March 22, 2007 6:54 PM | Report abuse

This blog has gotten way too heavy. Let's talk about something fun. Does anyone know who's buzzing Linday Czarniak now that George Michaels is dead?

Posted by: KK | March 22, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

"and has cultivated one of the most active blogs on the site"

Way to be precise, there. One of the most, you say? I say even of this blog is 20th out of 20 blogs (just an example), it is "one of the most".

How about some hard numbers, instead of something out of your as*?

Posted by: un-named poster | March 22, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

At least the offensive side of the house looks to be stabized and promissing for next year.

JASON CAMBELL IS GONNA THROW 30 + TDS

Posted by: Brutus | March 22, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the Skins, if they are forced to stick with the 6th pick, should draft Landry. The guy is an absolute monster and would pair with Taylor well. Even though this leaves us with our old DEs and Carter, Carter is bound to get 10+ sacks and the coverage should improve with Landry back there with the Smoot/Rogers?Springs triumvarite.

Posted by: Big Red 6 | March 22, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Skins web site reporting trade for Randy Moss!!!!

Posted by: Brutus | March 22, 2007 7:01 PM | Report abuse

HA HA

Posted by: Brutus | March 22, 2007 7:02 PM | Report abuse

from the Sun-Times article about Archuleta-passbyyou.

"The Redskins had him out of position playing the pass, and if the Bears return him to the box as an eighth defender, he could quickly return to form."

Can anyone explain what that means? Does that mean he sucked because he was placed on the wrong part of the field when the play starts?

Posted by: charlie | March 22, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Campbell won't be throwing those TDs to Patten he was finally cut

Posted by: David | March 22, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

And Jason Campbell would have thrown for 40 TDs, but Lloyd dropped 10 sure TD passes before he was benched.

Posted by: The Mole | March 22, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

has anyone seen my Ass-tro glide yet? I could really use it. I found my vibrator, but it's not the same without a little lube, know what I mean?

Posted by: Jenny | March 22, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Art = HUGE douchebag

Nice job JLC

Posted by: iluvartsmom | March 22, 2007 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Archulemon has no coverage skills to speak of. If he stays close to the line, he doesn't need coverage skills. He should be perfect for goal line stands, etc.

Posted by: The Mole | March 22, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Landry has shown he is a beast but if our d-line isn't shored up and making plays and pressuring the QB on a regular basis it can only do so much.

I still want us to trade down but it does seem increasingly unlikely so I vote DT/DE but NOT Branch. I get a bad feeling about him.

Now I'll equivocate - if we take Landry I'll be a happy clam but not sure he should be the first choice.

Posted by: sfskin | March 22, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I'll take down all you puppets on this blog, Lancaster PA in the hizzow

Posted by: PorterHouse | March 22, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I am sad to see Archuleta go. The Danny for once turned down a suggestion I had...to reward him for sitting the bench. I had planned to give him a 10M bonus.

Posted by: cerattto | March 22, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

P.S. Based on his most recent history, the "wrong part of the field" for Archulemon is defined as "anywhere inside the lines".

Posted by: The Mole | March 22, 2007 7:13 PM | Report abuse

- or next to the Reaper on the bench!

Posted by: charlie | March 22, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

One final thought for the day -

All things considered (and with all due respect, sfskin), with the apple-and-orange inspired renaming of Archulemon, it only seems appropriate that it is Mrs. Archuleta who should be known as "Pork Chop", or maybe "Lamb Chop".

Posted by: The Mole | March 22, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

4-12,

Totally, it IS all good. I'll tell you, I've honestly enjoyed lurking to your posts.

8 beers and counting. ...what? I'm just saying.

Posted by: un-named poster | March 22, 2007 7:25 PM | Report abuse

> Landry has shown he is a beast but if our d-line isn't shored up > and making plays and pressuring the QB on a regular basis it
> can only do so much.

If he is everything advertised he would shore up the d-line fitting in exactly with Grilliams "packages". He likes to blitz. He uses run-blitzed to stop the run. What was needed where cover corners who could handle one-on-one coverage to stop play action etc. Rogers did not have a good year. Springs was hurt. Williams uses linebackers to dictate his defenses. Linebackers blitzing with impunity are hard to stop.

The current line as set should work just as it did before. Better because now they now have 2 pass rushing ends in Andre Carter and Philip Daniels. Tackle position is well manned. Safety and corner needed shoriing up against the pass.

Look at the stats. Carter finished tops in sacks and close to the top in tackles. What does that tell you? Sean Taylor can't be everywhere.

Posted by: P. | March 22, 2007 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Who is this Art character? I don't read ES. Does he massage Danny's one ball while Vinny does the other? Sounds like it.

KK - you got any links to pictures of the girl you are talking about? I don't live in the DC area.

Posted by: cdubb | March 22, 2007 7:29 PM | Report abuse

The whole "brain trust" as ES became nothing but a group of apologists for almost every poor decision the team has made since they were "bought" out. For me it has come to the point where the place is little more than a collection of news links about a singular topic of interest to me. Beyond that it's two very, very extreme factions of "Trust Coach Joe!" and "The sky is falling!". The "discussion" has become unbearable. And the sense of self-importance that "Art" and the rest of the leadership group has as supposed mouthpieces of the fans is disgusting.

Honestly, JLC's blog has been great personally because so much of what's out there has the team's hand prints on it that it's hard to recognize true objectivity. Please keep up the great work. There are definitely those of us out here that don't like their news passing through a burgundy and gold filter.

Posted by: Ocho-Cuatro | March 22, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cliff Huxtable | March 22, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Cliff. Philly is lacking in the attractive female sports reporters. Time to hammer some brews and watch the tourney. Hail and good night.

Posted by: cdubb | March 22, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, dcsween, I'll check it out....

By the way, the NFLN is reporting that Al Wilson will probably be traded from the Broncos to the Giants. The Broncos are becoming the Redskins of the offseason.

Posted by: Lisa | March 22, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

i'll tell you what they ought to do with the extra cap funds next year.. redo sean taylors contract.. hands down the best play making defensive player we've got and a pro bowl caliber player deserving of the money these other free agent busts are getting.. the dude got screwed by his agent and signed some god aweful 7 year deal.. and he's had to watch all these free agents come in making multiple times money he is and has been silent about all of it.. give him what he deserves before he gets fed up and bolts..

Posted by: vpar | March 22, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

i'll tell you what they ought to do with the extra cap funds next year.. redo sean taylors contract.. hands down the best play making defensive player we've got and a pro bowl caliber player deserving of the money these other free agent busts are getting.. the dude got screwed by his agent and signed some god aweful 7 year deal.. and he's had to watch all these free agents come in making multiple times the money he is and has been silent about all of it..which i give him lots of props.. give him what he deserves before and it all gets to him and he bolts when his time comes..

Posted by: vpar | March 22, 2007 7:58 PM | Report abuse

vpar, that's hilarious. Sean Taylor's agent is Drew "NEXT QUESTION" Rosenhaus.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | March 22, 2007 07:54 PM

Wonder if that means they're unhappy w/AP? Hmmm....

Posted by: skinswest | March 22, 2007 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Mole, THAT'S what I'm talking about. Straight up chatter about relevant, unrehashed Skins football.

I tend to agree that trading down from #6 only works if there is someone there that someone wants ... and that they don't think will be there a few picks later. It seems like consensus that Adams/Anderson are projected to get btwn #5 and about #7/8. But the other consensus is that this draft is deep in solid DEs (and maybe even that the difference btwn Adams/Anderson is razor thin, and then only a slight drop lower to the next 3-4 guys ... Carriker, Moss, Abiamiri ... another slight drop to Spencer, Crowder, Charles Johnson). The point is, how many teams would be willing to cough ANY draft position or picks to get a DE?

From my intergoogling, I've seen Adams get trashed as underweight and playing it safe as a senior, seen Anderson get trashed as a boom or bust but maybe overrated b/c he only really played one season, and Branch get slammed as unable to take the heat dished out by the KC D-line coach. One of the constants, though, seems to be that LaRon Landry is the top defensive player in the draft. So, if the theory is to pick the best player available when you pick, Landry works for me.

Other than (and after) those three that everyone projects for the Skins (Adams, Anderson, Branch), I've also been intrigued by Carriker, Okoye, a CB out of Texas named Aaron Ross, and the safety from Florida named Reggie Nelson. My secondhand read of these guys (based only on what a bunch of other people say) is that everyone of them SHOULD go in the first round. As for the late round guys ... if he's there, Josh Wilson, plus the AZ kicker/punter, Nick Folk. Also, the Hawaiian DE, Ikaika, sounds interesting and should be there. His storyline doesn't sound THAT different from Anderson about a quick rise to fame.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 8:21 PM | Report abuse

un-named poster, last I heard, Redskins Insider is the #3 WaPo blog after two others with a couple years of headstart, a political one (I think Cilizza's The Fix) and a celebrity news one.

Posted by: dcsween | March 22, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Another possibility is that the FO's are just putting disinformation shti out about not liking those DE's (Adams, Branch, Anderson) because they really like them and hope nobody jumps ahead of them to steal em.

Posted by: skinswest | March 22, 2007 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I meant DL's not DE's

Posted by: skinswest | March 22, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

who farted this blog stinks?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 22, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Rosenhaus wasn't the agent who did the Reaper's contract.

He was his agent out of college, The Reaper fired him after he was drafted and hired some Yahoo (I can't remember who), then killed and ate the Yahoo after he got hosed and re-hired Prince Xisor.

I have a feeling that after the next season that the Reaper gets PAID!

New achronym: FES.

Posted by: etrod | March 22, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Let's look at this thing guys...

The Skins get killed in the media and on blogs, and sometimes they deserve it, but they actually picked up two players they should'nt have let go. (Smoot and Stoutmire). They are starting to pick up depth with guys who know the system.

Arch was an expensive mistake, but let's look at what the Skins have sone so far.

1) They resign core guys: Betts, Sellars, Thomas, and Jansen
2) They resign O-Line depth in Pucillo and Wade, and Tucker(?)
3) They sign Smoot and Stoumire.
4) They add Fletcher (older but consistent)
5) They let someone else pay 18 mill for a guard.
6) They asked an injury plagued albeit a good corner to take less money (good business but bad PR)
7) They traded Archuletta (whoever scouted him should be held accountable)

Whether they are a winning team remains to be seen, but perhaps they are starting to get it right.

Posted by: sicwidit | March 22, 2007 10:50 PM | Report abuse

PS Bring back A Tribe Called Quest!!!!!!!

TIP and the FIFER

Posted by: sicwidit | March 22, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | March 22, 2007 08:30 PM

Yup, everybody is definitely on double-secret probation from here on out. It's funny that, a week after Michigan's pro day, where Branch was supposedly run ragged by the coach who ran the drill, a couple of the mocks had him going to the skins. Kirwan on NFLN said "The Redskins will consider the best pass rusher at this spot but Branch is rare and can move for a big man. He may make the defensive ends better by just being on the field. The NFC East wants to run the ball and Branch is the best run stuffer."
That is the point I've been trying to make. Now I don't know branch, don't know how he did at his interview at the combine, don't know about pro day... I'm just a simple unfrozen caveman blogger. But I do know that he carried his fat, out-of-shape body in the 40-yd. dash at the same time as Okoye, and repped the 225lb 4-5 more times than Okoye, and he's got 3" and 25lbs. on Okoye.

Posted by: cload and daggar | March 22, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Nobody comes out of this smelling like a rose. On the one hand, you have JLC, a paid reporter and blogger (ever hear of "other duties as assigned?" He is being paid for this, make no mistake) who has discovered the ego-inducing pleasures of having a personal cheering section, so he feeds more and more of it with all the cute names like "Grilliams" and "Arch Deluxe" and going off on rants. But his subjectivity in the blogosphere is having an impact on his objectivity as a reporter--he sneaks comments and points in his articles that a.) while not factually inaccurate are irrelevant to the article at hand and only serve to let him slide commentary into what is a putatively "objective" piece, or else b.) are thinly-veiled shoutouts to his blog fans. I think he should simply decide to become a full-blown columnist, instead of pretending to still be a reporter. But I'm not sure even that would fly, since his contempt for large swaths of his readership is very thinly veiled. It's too bad he ever ventured into the world of subjective blogs; in my opinion, reporters shouldn't be commentators--it has too negative an impact on what they do. Maske's blog is a great example of the way reporters ought to "blog."

And on the other, you have Art and the other mods at Extremeskins, who want it both ways. They pretend to be fans like any other, but then they love waving the fact that they have "insider access" like reporters do. Instead of the best of both worlds, they exhibit the worst--mixing it up with others like fanboys tend to and then ignoring ethical standards of treating insider information the way journalists should.

Posted by: Olddominion | March 22, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

(yawn)

(double yawn)

So I guess we are supposed to take it on good faith that you are a big-time media expert, with your riveting analysis and gripping conclusions. Ummm, sorry, but I don't recognize your nationally-known name and don't see any of your impeccable credentials.

In any case, if I had wanted a critique from a media expert, I would have called Tom Shales.

My suggestion is this: if you love Mark Maske's blog so much, why don't you hang out there exclusively? You won't have to worry about being disappointed, nor fear being subjected to unwanted commentary.

Posted by: D. Peak | March 23, 2007 1:29 AM | Report abuse

"ES punps up their numbers so they can call themselves the biggest even though they are not even close"

Sounds like the skins ticket waiting list...

Posted by: BandWagon | March 23, 2007 2:20 AM | Report abuse

Olddominion-- very well said.

Posted by: aredskinsfan | March 23, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm just a person like anybody else, D. Peak--expressing an opinion that folks can agree or disagree with as they'd like.

If Maske handled breaking Redskins news, I'd happily hang out there. Unfortunately (?) for me, my love of the Redskins is greater than my disappointment in JLC (and Extremeskins). :)

Posted by: Olddominion | March 23, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Art is an extremeskins moderator that advocates beating women (to be...um...fair...this example refers to when they cheat on you). See post #203:

Posted by: whotube | March 23, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

In the original post -

"My questions to you on this board, in your infinite wisdom:"

It seems rather goofy to me, to ask morality questions on a FOOTBALL BLOG - whether it's extremeskins or any other one.

As much as I love football and football fans, it's not the place to get answers about morality.

Posted by: charlie | March 23, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

we're cooler than you are. ninny ninny boo boo

Posted by: ESRulz | March 23, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

lets hope the skins take their time before signing any more players

Posted by: gjelly | March 24, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

PS - Bobby Flay are you kidding me!! More proof you don't know what your talking about.

Posted by: Mike | March 24, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

JLC,
Glad to see that little shot at Art. He specializes in attempting to get under people's skin, and he is good at it. He has toned his act down considerably since ES was incorporated by the Redskins, but he is quite annoying. It is obvious that he has an inflated sense of himself, believing he is an intellectual. He doesn't win arguments actually, instead he wares the other down with extremely long-winded b.s. until they just don't want to hear it anymore.

Posted by: anonymous | March 25, 2007 2:55 AM | Report abuse

Here is the excerpt from Art. This really shows how disgusting a human being he is and in my view, how he loses any credibility, regardless of subject matter:

"Quote:
Candace, I hate to break it to you, but, you're a girl. You have no idea what you're talking about. It IS Tony's fault. It's MORE the wife's fault. But, Tony is to blame and men understand men addressing one another and settling issues and limits. Once the wife makes her assurances, should she violate them, indeed, you probably should introduce her to the pain train, but, at the very least, you take everything you can from her, and destroy what pieces of her life you can destroy, whether physically or not. Though, to be fair, it IS not always wrong to hit a woman. In a case like you describe, it should be encouraged."

Posted by: wow | March 25, 2007 3:00 AM | Report abuse