Man Wants Plea Withdrawn in Sean Taylor Case

From The Associated Press:

MIAMI -- A man who pleaded guilty to avoid a possible life sentence in the killing of Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor now wants to back out of the deal, his attorney said today.

Venjah Hunte, 21, would have served 29 years under the deal reached last May, in exchange for his cooperation with prosecutors. Hornung said he disagrees with Hunte's desire to withdraw his guilty plea, and that Hunte will appear in court tomorrow in Miami to ask for a new court-appointed lawyer.

"There's a difference in the philosophy going forward," Hornung said. "His desire is to have an attorney appointed so that he can withdraw from his plea."

Hornung wouldn't discuss what led his client to change his mind, citing confidentiality rules. He said his recommendation was to take the plea deal rather than the life sentence four co-defendants face if convicted.

"We have irreconcilable differences," he said.

Police said Taylor was a victim of a botched robbery when he was shot in his bedroom on Nov. 26, 2007. in the Miami suburb of Palmetto Bay. He died of massive blood loss a day later. The All-Pro player was 24.

Also charged in the case are Charles Wardlow, 19, Jason Scott Mitchell, 21, Timmy Lee Brown, 17, and the alleged gunman, Eric Rivera, 19. All have pleaded not guilty and are being held without bail.

The trial has been put off several times and is now scheduled to begin in June. Prosecutors could not immediately be reached for comment.

By Cindy Boren  |  April 1, 2009; 7:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins' Position on Cutler Unchanged
Next: Redskins Trying to Land Cutler (Update 2)

Comments

I hope he's the first of the four to get life.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 1, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

"Young players don't grow to normal stature if they are thumped mercilessly and feel abandoned."
-- the Boz.

I think this is apropos for Snidely, Vinnie and the Campbell bashers who think an inferior athlete like Cutler will somehow make things better.

If you want us to give Devin Thomas a chance then you need to do the same for Campbell.

Posted by: periculum | April 1, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I hope he is the first of 5 to get the death penalty. Home invasion and murder? Barbecue their punk asses.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 1, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I wish they would send them to a DC or VA prison, so they could get raped everyday for the rest of their life.

Posted by: F0X7 | April 1, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I can picture the court appearance now. "Nah, Judge, I forgot! It was that other guy that shot him! I was tryin' to jump in front and take the bullet myself, just like on TV!!"

Posted by: Samson151 | April 1, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

First of all I am not changing my OPINION...who said anything about an "argument" if you want to boast that they were 12th overall in rushing..then good your right 12 is ok....

Now what about putting Cutler on a team with the 8th overall rushing team and the 4th overall threat in Portis?

You won't change my opion so it is what it is

Posted by: leevi98 | April 1, 2009 6:52 PM

leevi, this is why your opinions draw so much fire sometimes. They don't stand up to any scrutiny. Putting aside the fact that the Skins played better teams and in a much better division, the Broncos were 12th in the league and the Skins were 8th. But the strength of schedule and O-line's impacted this stat: CPortis got 9 TDs on 342 carries. The Broncos had 3 no-name backs who combined for 10 TDs on 205 carries. That no-name trio had a 4.7 yard/carry avg.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 1, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

redskins just confirmed there interest in cutler

Posted by: all_this_bs | April 1, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Now, I'm depressed!

Posted by: rickyroge | April 1, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Now, I'm depressed!

Posted by: rickyroge | April 1, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

which if they want him you know they will get him only wquestion is for how much

Posted by: all_this_bs | April 1, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

redskins just confirmed there interest in cutler

Posted by: all_this_bs | April 1, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Where u see that

Posted by: alex35332 | April 1, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

it was a news break on comcast sportsnet at intermission of the caps game

Posted by: all_this_bs | April 1, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

ESPN's craptastic analysis of Cutler to Skins:

Mort: "They [Skins] are desparate...why? you'd have to ask them, but I think they are going to push hard and Dan Snyder wants to make this happen...I wouldn't rule this out."

Complete speculation by Mort. No facts.

Schlereth: "Lets follow the money trail. Which team wins the offseason every year? Thats the Washington Redskins. They have more money than anybody else and they are not afraid to spend it"

Complete speculation by Schlereth.

Posted by: swowra | April 1, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm home from work.

Got some time before I get re-depressed.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | April 1, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Saw a full version of the story, according to the record of events this guy was not the shooter, Wardlow was the shooter.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 1, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

If we trade for cutler consider me 100% on the Cult of Colt for the time being.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 1, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

i hope they all get raped daily until they get shenked in the yard by a 'canes fan.

Posted by: drewkinnear | April 1, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

it was a news break on comcast sportsnet at intermission of the caps game

Posted by: all_this_bs | April 1, 2009 7:49 PM

Really? Damn! I had to change the channel to watch Rock of Love during the admission. Stupid ADD.

Posted by: Section104 | April 1, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I mean INTERmission. Not "admission." Stupid brain.

Posted by: Section104 | April 1, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh. Looks like somebody needs a time-out.

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I agree... go take a break so we can get back to talking football news and not trying to change my opinion because you disagree.

Ouch! kitty has claws.

I like your game though. Post stupid comments, act like an arrogant turd, hold others in disdain because you are soooo much smarter, then change your mind when the facts get a little inconvenient, then justify the whole thing with "hey, it's just my (stupid) opinion".

You're a waste of text and time. But hey, that's just my opinion...

Posted by: edvar | April 1, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

When did I change my mind? I recall that I think Cutler is a good QB and an upgrade over Campbell....When did my opinion change?

I also disagree with you making insults and attacking me because you disagree with my opinion. That is just great.

I will not even comment on the insults because there is no place for it on here and I see no point in it and it does not back your opinion up at all. you have chosen to go on a personal attack because you disagree with me and could not convince me that your opinion is better than mine.

To each his own..

Posted by: leevi98 | April 1, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | April 1, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Section104
Not your fault I did the same thing.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 1, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

You won't change my opion so it is what it is

Posted by: leevi98 | April 1, 2009 6:52 PM

Posted by: Alan4 | April 1, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Then why are you wasting so much effort in trying to change my opinion to yours?

Posted by: leevi98 | April 1, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: alex35332 | April 1, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: alex35332 | April 1, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Alan4,

my opiunions only take "fire" from certain people on here. Secondly if you go back and read ALL my posts and not just a few you wil see I did back up my opinon as others did as well.

It's a blog...we all have our opinion...i stated mine...i'm not on here trying to change yours or anybody elses.

My stance still stands...I would love to have Cutler as Our QB ...i think he is an upgrade over Campbell...I have posted stats and articles about this way of thinking...others have too on what they think....

Where is the problem?

Posted by: leevi98 | April 1, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

leevi, I never questioned your love for Cutler. I questioned your "opinion" that the Broncos didn't have a running game. the evidence says their running game is actually more *efficient* than the Skins, although it may be a few spots back in total yards. You're entitled to believe what you want, I won't try to change your mind. But when your opinion is at odds with the facts, I might just point that out.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | April 1, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Read your own post...I think everything you said about my opinions apply to you as well.

You contradicted yourself in your post.

Are you claiming Cutler did well because of weak opponents and weak division if i read that correctly. AND you also said....

"The Broncos had 3 no-name backs who combined for 10 TDs on 205 carries. That no-name trio had a 4.7 yard/carry avg."

Is that also in the same bad division and easy schedule that Cutler played against?

then Portis would have torn up that division and schedule

Posted by: leevi98 | April 1, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | April 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

but that contradicts with the opinions that Cutler did well because the division was bad and they had an easy schedule.

Does that not also apply to the running game of the same team?

Posted by: leevi98 | April 1, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

leevi, Portis and JC17 would have better numbers in Denver.

Portis and Cutler would have worse numbers in DC.

No contradiction.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 1, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

leevi, Portis and JC17 would have better numbers in Denver.

Portis and Cutler would have worse numbers in DC.

No contradiction.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 1, 2009 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Then how does that refelct the opinion posted that you cannot compare teams because of different systems, coaches teams etc...

You said "How can anyone objective agree with your conclusions when you premise is, at best, so clearly shaky?"

Then how can you prove factually that Cutler adn Portis would do bad in DC....Where do you get that or know this?

he has not played in DC with Portis....So that is a clearly shaky opinion. You have no proof or basis..

of course Campbell and portis would have better numbers in Denver...as you stated they had a easy schedule and a bad division...where as the Skins have had it tough....

So whats your point?

Posted by: leevi98 | April 1, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

But when your opinion is at odds with the facts, I might just point that out.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 1, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

So what facts tell you Culter with Portis would not work in DC? There are no facts to prove this until they play together....

You can bounce numbers all day...you will never proove this as fact until they actually play on the same team togther in DC. Talk about Shaky opinion of fact..

Posted by: leevi98 | April 1, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

(opinion) An average player looks better in against weaker competition. Comparing JC-Bronco to JC17 is comparing someone who faced weak competition to someone who faced strong competition.

(opinion) In other words, Cutler's numbers are artificially inflated. He's overrated.

(fact) Portis played in both systems, and these were the results:

(fact) For Broncos (average): 281.5 carries, 1549.5 yards, (5.5 yd/carry), 14.5 TDs

(fact) For Skins: 297.8 carries, 1220.6 yards, (4.09 yd/carry), 8.6 TDs.

(opinion) In other words, based on these facts, one might expect Cutler to play at or below the level JC17 is playing now if he comes to DC.

(Question) See how my opinions flow from the facts?

Posted by: Alan4 | April 1, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

(fact) Portis played in both systems, and these were the results:

(fact) For Skins: 297.8 carries, 1220.6 yards, (4.09 yd/carry), 8.6 TDs.

(Question) See how my opinions flow from the facts?

Posted by: Alan4 | April 1, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

yes I do...but it's opinion not fact as you have stated..that also applies to you too. Those stats say nothing except Portis is a great RB and Culer is a Good Qb as well as Campbell....

still does not change the fact that I feel Cutler is a better QB....It also does not prove that denver had a good running game...so whats the point?

Posted by: leevi98 | April 1, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

The point is, there's no contradiction in my original post. I was responding to that statement.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 1, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Judge, this free lawyer isn't good enough. Give me a better free lawyer. Oh, and I have this caselaw here that says you have to dismiss the charges because I didn't do it.

Posted by: hc2254 | April 2, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse