Mann reportedly to interview with Redskins

(UPDATED, 6:35 p.m.)

Just a few other coaching-staff tidbits...

While the Redskins have reportedly offered a position to Bobby Turner, who was Mike Shanahan's long-time running backs coach, it is not believed that he has yet accepted their offer.

While the St. Petersburg Times has reported that Tampa Bay has allowed its wide receivers coach Richard Mann to interview with another unnamed team, the National Football Post's Brad Biggs reveals the Redskins are that mystery team.

Former Buffalo assistant Bobby April has been mentioned in multiple reports as a candidate to coach special teams for the Redskins. But an NFL source said April does not have an interview scheduled with Washington, though he has interviewed with two teams and has other meetings scheduled.

There are also reports that secondary coach Jerry Gray is interviewing this afternoon to be the Redskins' defensive coordinator. Jim Haslett is in discussions with the team for the same position, though he was also contacted Monday night about the New York Giants' defensive coordinator position.

According to a league source, Bob Slowik, Shanahan's defensive coordinator in 2008 who spent four total seasons in Denver, is also Washington-bound. He has plenty of experience with defensive backs and could find himself coaching them here.

By Rick Maese  |  January 12, 2010; 4:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haslett apparent front-runner for Redskins defensive coordinator
Next: Crennel was never a serious coordinator candidate

Comments

South Central was good I have that in my DVD collection as well.

Best gang movie The Warriors

"No reason I just lie doing things like that"

The Gramacy Riffs were some bad Motha F-ers

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

good moves

Posted by: TDawg1 | January 12, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Is the interview with Jerry Gray serious, or just another wink and a nod at the Rooney Rule?

Posted by: boothintexas | January 12, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was going to be Charles Mann...sorry I can't quit the glory years....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 12, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

This is confusing!!! ..........also alot of Bobbys

Posted by: jiza32 | January 12, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

If Dallas wins on a FG in the playoffs... is it the "Suishamshank Redemption"?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 12, 2010 4:00 PM

----------

I'd like to nominate this post for Post of the Day for clever play on words on a non-football related topic.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 12, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I mean football related.

Duh.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 12, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

This is confusing!!! ..........also alot of Bobbys

Posted by: jiza32 | January 12, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I read Charles Mann too.

In fact, he always seemed like he would have the stuff to be a good coach.

He's a good communicator and seems super smart.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 12, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Richard Seymour is a free agent,sooooooo..............you know what i'm thinking Carter,Haynesworth,Gholston, and Seymour all I can say is WOW! I would love to see Jerry Gray get the DC position and yes i would leave Orakpo at LB and turn him into the second comming of LT!

Posted by: dargregmag | January 12, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the way this is turning out.... I think he really needs Bobby Turner whoever he is.... 4 - 11...

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | January 12, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the way this is turning out.... I think he really needs Bobby Turner whoever he is.... 4 - 12...

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | January 12, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

For all those out there (mostly at ESPN) who said that Snyder's hiring of Shanahan was a "money grab" another "big splash" "overplay" "overpay," I want them to explain the hiring of Pete Carroll who, it is reported, will ALSO make in the area of $7 million/year. I think that is the going rate it seems and, maybe, Snyder actually made a good deal.

Posted by: Invisman52 | January 12, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Not sure about Gray as DC. The secondary underachieved this season, and that's putting it kindly.

Who was behind Rogers and sometimes Smoot playing 12+ yards off of a WR?

Was it Blache? Or Gray?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 12, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: boothintexas | January 12, 2010 4:53 PM |

The rooney rule doesn't apply to Cordinators.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Odds that USC is on probation by the start of the 2010 season- even

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 12, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

The Bills ranked 2nd in total defense in both 2003 and 2004 when Jerry Grey was defensive coordinator (gregg williams was head coach in 2003, but not in 2004)...he's well respected around the league for a reason, i think he'd make a fine defensive coordinator for us, plus he's younger then blache, which usualy means more aggressive and edgey in play calling

Posted by: altarkenton | January 12, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Andre carter is a FA too, I think. If so, slow down on the Seymour wishes

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 12, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Was it Blache? Or Gray?

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | January 12, 2010 5:09 PM

Blache...it was HIS defense...

The position coaches abide like Dorf.

And Yes cL...I thought it would have been Charles Mann too....bummer

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 12, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

At first I was against Jerry being DC, but now that I see who else they are interviewing I'm rooting for Jerry Gray. VOTE NO ON HASLETT!!!!

Posted by: b145579 | January 12, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

As I came across this post, I was praying it was Charles Mann. Awesome flat top in the '91 season. Living in FL now, I never get to watch comcat shows or local coverage, is Charles Mann still around on tv up there?

Him and Ken Harvey were excellent.

Posted by: saltine182 | January 12, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

How about we let the pros pick the coaches haslett is not just interviewing with us, the Ginats want him as well. I would say that these guys probably know a little more then us.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 12, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

cL, YES on Escape From New York ... speaking of which, what is the name of that BBQ place to watch games?

Posted by: dcsween | January 12, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

MONTE COLEMAN.

I wish he was still hanging around the team.

Posted by: saltine182 | January 12, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Andre carter is a FA too, I think. If so, slow down on the Seymour wishes

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 12, 2010 5:17 PM

Is it OK to slobber over the Dansby possibility?

Posted by: dcsween | January 12, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: boothintexas | January 12, 2010 4:53 PM |

The rooney rule doesn't apply to Cordinators.

Posted by: Flounder21

Thanks for the clarification, Flounder. I should have remembered that. Happy angling.

Posted by: boothintexas | January 12, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Is it OK to slobber over the Dansby possibility?

Posted by: dcsween | January 12, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse
I think I read somewhere that Arizona will have a hard time resigning Dansby this year, since they have "franchised" him for 2 years running now.

He will probably be the most-sought-after player in free agency. 6'4", 250, just turned 28. What's not to like about him. So go ahead and slobber.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I thought Horace Mann... you know, someone who can TEACH the guys how to tackle.

But I'd settle for Neil Oklewicz!

Can someone explain why Zimmer is such a hot commodity? His D looked horrible against the Jets and, if I recall, his D in Dallas was prone to giving up big plays (see: Monday Night Miracle)

Is it that his D was respectable given a huge lack of talent? If so, the same argument can be made for Hasslet, right?

Posted by: jgarrisn | January 12, 2010 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: boothintexas | January 12, 2010 4:53 PM

Rooney rule doesn't apply to anything but GM and head coach. So, yeah, it's serious.

Posted by: League-Source | January 12, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Carter is not a free agent. Seymour would be great playing next to Albert if he does not get franchised. Also move Orakpo to DE and sign Dansby to play his spot. I think Brian O. can be a Dwight freeney type for us. And get a FS too.

Posted by: edwin5624 | January 12, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I hope they offer the job to Leslie Mann. She's really hot and was great in Knocked Up.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 12, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

MONTE COLEMAN.

I wish he was still hanging around the team.

Posted by: saltine182 | January 12, 2010 5:29 PM

He's on the blog...

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 12, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

drool over whatever FAs you like, but keep an eye on the 2 O line guys from denver that are FA's

Posted by: pabrian2003 | January 12, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Redskins go after Josh Cribbs....apparently he's unhappy and doesn't want to come back to the Browns. Cribbs is from D.C. and was a Redskins fan growing up. Dude is amazing.

Or, we could stick with the awesome Randle El/Cartwright punt/kickoff return duo.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | January 12, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | January 12, 2010 6:12 PM |

Which of our 5 picks would you like to trade for him? He's going to be a RFA.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 12, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Who r the Denver FA's?

Posted by: edwin5624 | January 12, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

...I too had a wishful thought for Charles Mann...

Monte Coleman
Wilber Marshall
Ken Harvey

Posted by: p1funk | January 12, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | January 12, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Cribbs would be ARE 2.0; or Chad Morton 2.0 - take your pick.

There's a shockingly simple way to scheme a great return man out of a game:

Don't kick to him.

Posted by: p1funk | January 12, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Haslett?
Zimmer?
Gray?

Eh.

Whatever. They all seem equally mediocre to me.

As long as the D-coordinator is prepared to be flexible and maximize the talent of the personnel, instead of holding dogmatically to a "system" that doesn't capitalize on player strengths.

Posted by: p1funk | January 12, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet |

Actual Chia, I thnk you get the post of the day ... something about a little chia sprout

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 12, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Gray served as the defensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills from 2001 to 2005, where he oversaw one of the top defenses in the NFL until his final season. The Bills ranked 2nd in total defense in both 2003 and 2004.

I'd still take Haslett. While spurrier was golfing in the afternoon, Haslett was sleeping in his office.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 12, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Defense will suck per Shanny's usual (see Norv Turner years). Natch Portoise and his bone spurs won't amount to much.

Posted by: periculum | January 12, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

JC and Colt may end up being the best things this team has going for it. At least until they (hopefully) rebuild the offensive line. The D-line may be in for some disruptions ... and then there are the aging and somewhat injury slowed linebackers ... and the corners? There is a lot to be done here ...
Idiot fans need to stop fretting over JC and worry about the truly serious problems on this team ....

Posted by: periculum | January 12, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Bit late, but congrats, Chia_Pet.

Already clad in maroon and black onesey, I trust.

Posted by: farstriker | January 12, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Can we please bring in Jean Fuggatt to coach the tight ends.

Posted by: diamond_jim | January 12, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see I wasn't the only one to think Charles Mann

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | January 12, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Grimm interviewing to be the HC in Buffalo. Hopefully for this interview he will wear a suit and actually prepare.

This could be the year of Grimm. A well deserved HOF nod and a HC job.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 12, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Anybody notice how when you hit post the blog frequently doubles a word from time to time. Typically at the end of their page break.

ie. wear

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 12, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

We all thought it was Charles Mann. J Reid did that on purpose.

Posted by: dcwun | January 12, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow, after seeing the defensive rankings under Haslett, I'm suddenly much less interested in him landing the gig here. I still want to see a house cleaning here, but keeping Gray to coordinate the D just might be a better option than Haslett. Glad I'm not the one making that call...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 12, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Glad I'm not the one making that call...

Posted by: brownwood26

We are glad, too.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 12, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I too, immediately thought "Charles Mann is back! He's going to be a coach for us - great..."

***sigh*** ahh, the good 'ole days. We may have another budding Charles Mann in Orakpo, though, as long as the new staff doesn't insist that he's a 4-3 linebacker like Blache and co. did. But I digress.....

Posted by: skinsfan713 | January 12, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

So we've looked at Romeo and Zimmer and now we will settle for Haslett or Gray. Sweet. I guess that's better than Slowik although it looks like he'll show up.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 12, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope for Haslett circa Steelers rush defense 1997 and overall defense circa Steelers 1999. Other than that, his pass defense has been suspect.

Posted by: Copious1 | January 12, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Haslett?
Zimmer?
Gray?

Eh.

Whatever. They all seem equally mediocre to me.

Posted by: p1funk | January 12, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

So, p1, who would make you happy at DC? I have heard Rich Pettibone. Anyone else?

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

ie. wear

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 12, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse
It's always been like that. Last word of
of the first line becomes first word of second line.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm finding myself much less opinionated on the Skins right now.

As much as I saw of Vinny and Zorn, I knew they were messing things up. I could see certain players not responding, drafts poorly managed, etc. There was plenty to comment on, lots to predict and obvious second guessing.

But with Shanahan, there are a few concerns about his ability to coach players or to prepare teams.

At this point, I mostly trust Shanahan to do a good job. After years of saying the 'Skins need this' or 'ought to do that', I'm trying to get accustomed to this new approach, which is to give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt on pretty much every decision.

So while I know the Skins need to upgrade the OL, I have no doubt that Shanahan knows it and will do it. While I think Campbell is a capable QB and would like to see him stay and succeed, if Shanahan figures this team is better off with a new QB, I'm going to trust that Shanny is making the right move.

Bottom line, now that professionals are running the show, its a very different feeling.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 12, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Please do not hire that back stabbing idiot Jerry Gray for defensive coordinater of this team! The man could not even teach his position players how to wrap their armes around someone when they are tackling them! He set a bad example to his players by going behind his coaches back to get the coaches job and then would not own up to it! Even after the last game of the season he would not admit to it! The man has no loyalty what so ever! It is time to clean house and start over! NO WAY TO JERRY GRAY!!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 12, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

Shanahan has taken the fun out of saying "the Redskins oughta..." I mean, I could always come up with some ridiculous FA signing, dumb trade or screwball draft idea knowing full well that Snyderatto would screw it up worse than I ever could. Shanahan's overquallfied, and competence is so boring.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | January 12, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I ment arm`s, Geesh.

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | January 12, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz

I'm all for signing non-midget linebackers for a change. I don't care how great a tackling machine Fletch is, he's old and has lost a step. Rocky is small too and don't even bring up Blades...

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 12, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: frediefritz | January 12, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

So Haslett is the new DC, eh? What does everybody think?

Posted by: McBride33 | January 12, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

All of u Jerry Gray haters do not even know the full story...My thought goes like this JG "interviewed" with VC right and maybe Dan. The interview was over a long lunch where they asked him what he would do as redskins coach at the end of the meal he was asked "how did you enjoy his interview for HC" huh? yeah we just interviewed you wink wink so when Fritz Pollard calls u tell em u loved it! C that 's the type of BS catch 22 I am JGray is in when asked the question!! but y'all are too lost to c it!

Posted by: Skins21-4everSmashmouth | January 12, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I think Shannahan will rebuild the O line, install an O that will make play to JC's strengths and utilize our 2 TE's and young receivers, and will call plays that make sense. I also think the new DC will "encourage" Rogers and Landry to stop biting on double moves like a couple of large mouthed bass. If he also stops putting Orakpo out in pass coverage on obvious passing downs and lets Haynesworth loose, we'll make a strong run for the playoffs.

Posted by: kenboy1 | January 13, 2010 1:34 AM | Report abuse

I don't know how Hayneworth fits in a 3-4. Interested in the poster who floated a trade of Big Al - wonder what we could get?

Posted by: ElYeah | January 13, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse