Mason Signs With Ravens (Updated)

Marcus Mason (Georgetown Prep) has been signed to Baltimore's practice squad, according to his agent, Chad Wiestling. Mason could have been re-signed to Washington's squad, where he was last year, but with Baltimroe carrying just two RBs (one a rookie, Ray Rice, and the other injured starter Willis McGahee, who skipped a lot of work in the offseason), the chance to play there sooner pushed Mason.

"The numbers were better with Baltimore, and we collectively thought that it made the most sense to go up the road," Wiestling said. "They only have two running backs on the active roster and it could be a very good opportunity for Marcus."

The Redskins were pleased to learn the news about Mason. "He's got enough talent to play in the NFL," running back Clinton Portis told Jason Reid. "You feel bad about it [Mason being cut] because [you're] going to miss him as a teammate. I think he was a great guy to have as a teammate. He was a funny guy. He kept our position room laughing.

"You get him on a roster, with enough time to learn a system to where he gets the ball in his hands in the game, all of a sudden he going to make plays and making plays going to make him money. I think this is really going to work out well for him."

Said quarterback Jason Campbell: "He's a talented guy. You know somebody like that won't be out there long."

Mason shined in the preseason, but was caught behind three other RBs (Portis and Ladell Betts have 1,000-yard seasons and Rock Cartwright has produced when given the chance and is a special teams stud). Other teams could always sign Mason from Baltimore's squad to put him on their active roster, and the Ravens could also activate Mason to their 53-man roster. Wiestling said there was significant interest from other teams looking to place him on their squad.

Mason is still picking up the pass protection and special teams part of the game, but showed he can make things happen and is a solid prospect.
...
Practice Update: Jason Taylor is on the field, but he's in shorts with his right knee wrapped. Clearly, he'll do nothing out there today. Kareem Moore (hamstring) and Malcolm Kelly (knee) are on the field, but have limited participation.

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 31, 2008; 1:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Heyer to Start; Practice Squad Set (Updated)
Next: Randle El Expects to Start (Updated)

Comments

Any idea what a practice squader makes while there? I have always wondered that...

Posted by: skinsand88fan | August 31, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Here's an old flashback from the glory years. Enjoy.

Posted by: scampbell1976 | August 31, 2008 1:20 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for clearing that little mystery up.

Posted by: Jason | August 31, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

That anon was me again. Reposting from other thread.

Posted by: scampbell1976 | August 31, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsand88fan | August 31, 2008 1:21 PM
-----------
$850 week and all the Gaterade they can drink.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

There's too many beeping beeps. I can't keep up.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

What's the UPDATE?????

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Practice squad players can be paid considerably less than active squad players: the minimum salary from 2008 to 2010 is $5,200 per week (2008-2010 for 17 weeks, or $88,400 per season, in comparison to the NFL minimum rookie salary of $285,000. (Some practice squad players are paid considerably more, however: in 2006, the New England Patriots paid third-year player Billy Yates the full $425,000 he would have earned on the active roster.)

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 31, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Dang, sign me up for the practice squad. That's more than I make in 2 years.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

So, as long as Mason's on the Ravens' practice squad, the 'Skins can sign him to the 53-man roster if they want to.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 31, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Shoot, over 80 grand to be on the practice squad?? My Ph.D. is worthless.

Posted by: TDawg | August 31, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Dude got almost half a million dollars and I never even heard of him

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Dang, sign me up for the practice squad. That's more than I make in 2 years.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 1:28 PM

Don't call us. We'll call you.

Posted by: Practice Squad | August 31, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna kill my guidance counselor...

Posted by: TDawg | August 31, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

My Ph.D. is worthless.

Posted by: TDawg | August 31, 2008 1:29 PM

You should have gone to law school or gotten an MBA. Ph. D.'s in Folklore just haven't found their niche. Maybe in the Obama administration?

Posted by: Motivator | August 31, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Well, I see that Cerrato is doubling down on his draft bets. No one can say that this is not "his" team.

Posted by: Wyatt Earp | August 31, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Your PhD will earn you 40 years of paychecks. The practice squad player will likely only earn 2-3 years of paychecks.

Of course, what this means is that the BEST route to take is to have football talent AND get your education. Not only do you get lots of Gatorade and sweatshirts, but you also get to say you play in the NFL (which, as we all know, is a great pickup line). And when you're done playing in the NFL, you can go do whatever it is people with PhDs do.

Of course, I have neither football talent nor a college education. Your mileage may vary.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 31, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I like the guys on the practice squad. I'm glad they are given Heyer a shot this week. Jansen will make a good backup. I'm still waiting for another WR to be signed after the skins first game.

Posted by: MJ | August 31, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

>>> "Ph. D.'s in Folklore just haven't found their niche. Maybe in the Obama administration?"

Well, being a point guard and a beauty queen are obviously qualifications for the vice presidency. Sadly, I'm too short, fat, and ugly to qualify.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 31, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: P Diddy | August 31, 2008 1:33 PM

I think they look for jobs, same as people who just left the NFL.

Posted by: motivator | August 31, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I fight for this country and I dont make 80Gs a year. I would be a tackling dummy for that much. Who wouldnt be?

Posted by: skinsand88fan | August 31, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

JLC, what happened to some of the other guys who didn't make our practice squad, i.e. Mix, Mann, etc?

Posted by: JinxMan | August 31, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I have some advice for the younger folks up here today. No matter how much your best friend says going to the casino at 3am is a good idea, and no matter how much your bartender pays the driver to take you there, and no matter how many cute little blonde girls tag along, never, ever, ever, ever play a $500 field bet and expect to win.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 31, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Now I'm being copied. This is my first actual post on this thread. Does this mean I'm a real insider now or just a victim of another tool?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, I'm too short, fat, and ugly to qualify.

Posted by: P Diddy | August 31, 2008 1:35 PM

Yeah, Diddy, but you got charisma. You're over-qualified for Veep. You get the top spot on the ticket.

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 31, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2008 1:38 PM

I guess I can't read 'cause it says 1976. Anyways, good for Mason. We can always sign him off their practice squad if we need to. I have a feeling he's gonna play there quicker than he would here though.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me scampbell1975, but notice the difference in our names (6 NOT 5)?

Besides, I copied you and posted as you back on the day that you got married.

Posted by: scampbell1976 | August 31, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Then again, maybe I was chris larry that day.

Posted by: scampbell1976 | August 31, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me scampbell1975, but notice the difference in our names (6 NOT 5)?

Besides, I copied you and posted as you back on the day that you got married.

Posted by: scampbell1976 | August 31, 2008 1:43 PM

Then again, maybe I was chris larry that day.

Posted by: scampbell1976 | August 31, 2008 1:44 PM

Yes, I know, read the post above yours. And thankd for picking up my slack. Of course your substance leaves a lot to be desired.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

your welcomd

See I can even screw up posts as well.

your vice you're and welcomd as compared to thankd

go take your blue pills

Posted by: scampbell1976 | August 31, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

peeb...peeb

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 31, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

and is a special teams stud).

Did I miss something? When did Mason become a special teams stud?

Posted by: jm220 | August 31, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

dude, what does the 1975 stand for anyway? is it ur birth year or ur SAT scores?

Posted by: chris larry | August 31, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Mason is going to be a good NFL player. I think the Skins played him so much to give him a chance to show what he can do to other potential teams.

Posted by: NinjaTickets.com | August 31, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse