Marcus Mason On the Squad

Marcus, a local kid and Georgetown Prep product, just left Redskins park having signing his practice squad deal. He passed through waivers today.

However, he is still essentially a free agent. Spoke to two NFL execs today who said they strongly considered making a waiver claim on Marcus, having scouted him in the preseason when he performed well, but could not make their own numbers work on their roster to do so at the RB position today.

However, he is on other team's radar and as long as he is on the practice squad he, like all PSers, are essentially still free agents who can be signed by other clubs. Will be interesting to see if he's back on the active roster after Monday's game since the injury issues at safety seem short-term and it's hard to imagine this team keeping 6 safeties and 6 WR on a 53-man roster for too long.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 12, 2007; 4:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Omar Is Back, As Expected
Next: Web Chat at 11 on Washingtonpost.com

Comments

You can take a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a bull's ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it?

Posted by: Cindy's boy toy | September 12, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I knew he would be back. I said that at 11am this morning on Redskins.com

Posted by: Throw me doen the stairs,my pants. | September 12, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

No, I mean, you can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking your head up a butcher's ass, but then..no. It's gotta be your bull.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"If you could fight anyone who would it be?"

"I'd fight Ab Lincoln, tall guy good reach, skinny guys fight to the burger."

"Shatner, I'd fight William Shatner."

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Mason!

You gotta wonder about just how psyched Stoutmire must be with the team that canned him TWICE. Kind of like the "fall back" girlfriend.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh who are these guys?

Hey Jason you have to expect lots of roster moves at this point because they are preparing to take on their most formidable divisional opponent for the first time ... already. I'd expect Caldwell to play extensively if can bone up on enough of the offense.

Brandon "the red-finned tuna" Lloyd was a non-factor in the last game. Time for him to go. Can't help but think they are negotiating that with his agent as we speak.

Posted by: periculum | September 12, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

If they can make a deal with Lloyd and his agent I'd expect to see Marcus Mason replace him on the roster with the next move.

Posted by: periculum | September 12, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

They both see benefits out of the fall back relationship. I'm sure he isn't complaining........

Posted by: 4th | September 12, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

JLa,

Any truth to the rumor about cutting a deal with Lloyd, Brandon?

Posted by: Skinz | September 12, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"Well, we'd have to be talking one charming mother-SJKing pig."

Modified to fit RI blogging parameters

Posted by: Cindy's boy toy | September 12, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Your favorite Omar Stoutmire memory is...?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 12, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 04:26 PM

10 year vet, min salary. guessing he'll gross 35-40,000 for this one week back on roster. pretty psyched

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

get paid post at 4:34 was me, but y'all prolly knew it

Posted by: Shawn Springs | September 12, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 04:26 PM

He had injury problems last year. Still recovering. I am sure he is psyched that he has a chance, like Prioleau, to prove he is still good enough to play.

Posted by: periculum | September 12, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Re: Loseable Type ... during the Miami game, there are FIVE posts on Sept. 9th at 3:35pm in the thread called "Inactives".

Now returning to your previously scheduled jibba jabba.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

What do you mean brought it bowling, Dude? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a SJK beer. He's not taking your SJK turn, Dude.

Posted by: Walter | September 12, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

For this team's chemistry's sake Lloyd absolutely MUST GO. I can't imagine Gibbs being able to look a guy like James Thrash in the eye while keeping someone like that on the roster. Look at all of the good people they had to let go in the last cuts. Its time to show him the door, cut the guy. I imagine the Danny's minions are working overtime on cutting some sort of deal with the guy to rescue the salary cap, to mitigate the hit over time.

Posted by: periculum | September 12, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Gotta admit, the Skins look like they could be pretty good. Almost every area has proven quality. WRs look strong now. RBs strong. OLine is good since Kendall came in -- though not deep with Jansen going down. TE is also strong. On the D, our DBs and CBs are both capable. THe LBs with Rocky grwoing up and LFB in the middle are highly improved. Even the special teams are generally above average.

The only question marks, excluding depth issues, are the D line, but a healthy Griffin makes a huge difference. And ... the QB. Jason Campbell is still young, but he's given fans plenty of reason to be hopeful. That play at the end of regulation ... ball went 65 yards in the air. Brunell would have needed 3 throws to get it that far. So far, the one stat that Campbell has really impressed with ... fumbles. Only 1 in 8 games. QBs fumble a lot in this league ...

Posted by: AL | September 12, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

That would be "siced", fellas.

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | September 12, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

OK, periculum, I give. What does it mean when you call Lloyd, Brandon the "red finned tuna"?

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

"No Donny, these men are nihilists."

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I AM THE WR!

Posted by: Priest Holmes | September 12, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Only reason to have Lloyd on the roster is if Caldwell isn't ready on Monday. If Caldwell is ready, Lloyd should be history. Can't happen fast enough.

Posted by: AL | September 12, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

AL, generally, I agree, but (1) I'm feeling pretty good about the depth, almost everywhere and (2) I'm not yet convinced about the starters at WR, esp. the curious mystery about why Santana dropped passes against Miami ... as well as the roster spot for the #3 WR.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

AL, meant I generally agreed about 4:40, not 4:45. Right now, consensus is that, until further notice, the Skins are in a world of pain re: Lloyd, Brandon's signing bonus vis a vis the cap.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of.

Posted by: Actually it's.... | September 12, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy with our depth everywhere except DE and QB. The fact is, we don't have a very good option at backup QB, which not every team does and that's a luxury examples at the two ends of the spectrum, Carolina and the New York football midgets. WR is what it is, Moss is a game breaker when healthy, and everyone else is decent not great, therefore, Lloyd, who certainly isn't much better than anyone else there might as well go if they can work something out to minimize the hit, I've been saying it for days and getting killed for it, but if he isn't any better than guys we can sign of the street and he is a lazy, panzy, underachieving, prima dona, locker room cancer, why keep him?

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

DCsween,

Remember how moss and soup were supposed to hang over the summer and practice on their own and never did?

Posted by: 35332 | September 12, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Santana has proven himself enough, I'm willing to call it a bad game and expect that Sundays drops were an aberration. Randle El sure looked better than most #2's. He is stepping up, though its only one game. And Caldwell is solid (hopefully). I think those 3 provide a good receiving group. But its ARE stepping up and Caldwell replacing Lloyd that takes this group from below average to above average.

Posted by: AL | September 12, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Please don't forget Thrash, they don't use him as much as they should, he was miscast in Philly as a #2, but he is a solid #3 and a great #4, he and Caldwell make this an above average unit. Nobody besides Moss strikes fear in a defense but they can get the job done for sure. They're not stars but they are all solid and weird Al never had stars in KC except his RB's and that TE was pretty good. Sound familiar? I'm excited about this offense even with Moss' 60 yards and a td worth of drops and Lloyd's TD whiff, they put up 400 yards on a healthy defense that was top 4 in the league last year and won!

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

dcsween -- wrote yesterday that I'd like to Samuels kick the carp out of Lloyd -- so Lloyd can go on IR and be kept away from the team. Deal with the cap issue later. That started a thread of people coming up with creative ways to IR Lloyd. Which led to this reply:

you people disgust me! Wanting to intentionally hurt a receiver just because he's a no good, lazy, salary cap stealing, virus of a player??? well maybe you have a point.

Posted by: coskins | September 11, 2007 07:03 PM

Posted by: AL | September 12, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

After last weekend I'm pretty sure the Eagles may be a bit concerned with Randel El.

Posted by: Skinz | September 12, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

jack, i have to agree about Lloyd, if we can minimize the cap hit then we should dump him, but i don't see Lloyd being willing to give up any money even to get on a team that will start him, he seems like the Asante "Get Paid" Samuels type. So I don't think Lloyd will be gone soon. I would say that talent wise he is probably alot better than the other WR, except Moss and ARE, but he lacks any kind of intangibles that you need to stay competetive in this league. His talent gave him a good season or two before people knew much about him, but eventually the bad attitude and bad work ethic have caught up with him, because you can't make a living off talent alone in the NFL.

Posted by: gethanr13 | September 12, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Concerned yes, double teaming and scheming for him.....doubt it, 1 game does not a star make.

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

35332 - They said they had to cancel the plans because of Moss'a hammy or groin wasn't healthy at the time....

Posted by: 4th Floor | September 12, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

So what are the rules for moving back to the full squad? Does Mason need to clear waivers again?

Posted by: BobD | September 12, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Hoping the problem with Moss is about timing and not ... gulp ... injury. It's like me to be nervous.

Jack, amen on QB depth ... but you gotta admit, its way better to have a QB controversy over the #2 spot than over the #1 spot. Too bad Bramlett is gone. I wonder whether Brunell is the scout team QB. I remember he did wonders getting the secondary ready for Brees last season. Makes sense that a long-time vet QB could mimic the next team's QB better than a scrub #3 QB. I'm guessing that why team's keep picking up Testaverde ... because he's seen it all and done it all, and thus is very good at acting like he's the next opposing QB.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Thrash is over the hill and all that. But he won't hurt you with stupid plays. And he will probably step up and make a few catches that move the chains during the year. Which is as much as most #4 receivers do.

Posted by: AL | September 12, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 04:49 PM

Jack--This is not what you've been saying for days that you were "getting killed for." You've now added a major new caveat along the lines that all of us have been telling you -- "if they can minimize the hit." What you were getting killed for was for wanting him cut with no regard for the cap consequences.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I agree Lloyd is worthless on the open market, but does he agree? Maybe he is thinking like he said last year "I have a winning team attitude and a winner's mentality..." Maybe he thinks he is really good and just getting no opportunity to shine ...much like a banged up LaVar paying 4 million to effectively retire.

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

2nd best QB on the team might be Randle El ...

Posted by: AL | September 12, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

" ... eventually the bad attitude and bad work ethic have caught up with him, because you can't make a living off talent alone in the NFL."

Posted by: gethanr13 | September 12, 2007 04:58 PM

... unless your name is Terrell Owens or Randy Moss.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Can we move Jason La Canfora to the practice squad of the washington post and get a real journalist in here to cover this team?

Seriously folks, how this hack has the top job covering the Redskins is simply beyond comprehension. He writes like he's working for a college paper. He creates controversies (or at least tries to) like he thinks he's Michael Moore. And he gets it wrong OVER and OVER and OVER again.

It just does not make any sense that JLC has not been fired yet. What an unbelievably horrible "reporter" he is.

FIRE HIM!

Posted by: Fire the Hack | September 12, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

4th, maybe so but one may wonder if two weeks of pitch and catch could have made those droped passes less dropey

Posted by: 35332 | September 12, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Eight year olds, Dude.

Posted by: Walter | September 12, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

karl swanson with his daily visit to ri

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I agree Reese....

Posted by: 4th | September 12, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

For the love of God we need to get Mason signed on the active roster!!! Whoever said this kid could be as good as Betts in a couple years had it right on-- I saw a star in the making during the preseason, and letting him go somewhere else-- especially with Fabini weinie still on the roster (which boggles my mind), I think we need to drop someone to the practice squad instead of someone that'll snatch him up.

Posted by: TDawg | September 12, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

TE, I said if Lloyd's hit were 1.5 this year and 7.5 next, to gut him first then cut him. I never said if it were a 10 mil hit to cut him now. But I have seen sites on both sides saying it would all come due now or would be prorated 1.5 & 7.5, I emailed Jla who said it would be in the mid 6's and I email O'halleran from the Times who said it would be 1.5 and 7.5, obviously, there isn't a consensus on how it works salary cap wise and I in now way pretend to be a capoligist, but at some point we're going to cut him, if it can be done now goodbye and don't let the door smack you on the way out, if not fine do it as soon as possible, that's all I have ever said.

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"Even the special teams are generally above average."

Could end up being one of the best in the NFL. The mix of vets
and rookies / 1-2 years is pretty incredible. Watch teams this
year.

"The only question marks, excluding depth issues, are the D line, but a healthy Griffin makes a huge difference."

Significant improvement due to draft picks Golston and Montgomery plus speed pass rusher Chris Wilson. Andre Collins
already has a sack. Huge difference.

Posted by: periculum | September 12, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Okay, this is a 'dumb fan' post.

The last few years have convinced me that the so-called "skills" positions are a crapshoot to try to fill. I'm tired of the Skins getting killed with horrible contracts and wasted draft picks for receivers, runners, etc.

With the one giant exception of JC, about whom I'm very high.

So, apropos of nothing, I lay down my build-a-team philosophy:

1. The foundation is the lines--build o-lines and d-lines. High draft picks here.

2. Everything else follows AFTER the lines.

3. Last of all, the frigging skills guys. They're mostly prima donnas or one-year wonders or injured-and-cut-short guys. Love many of them, but honestly drafting/signing a RB or WR star is like dating a super-model: you're just asking for heartbreak.

Besides, there seem to be many plug-and-play guys who can fill in quite well at these positions.

Posted by: farstriker | September 12, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe he thinks he is really good and just getting no opportunity to shine ..."

Interesting thinking. Part of the 'negotation' might be a trade to a team willing to take him for a conditional draft pick. Might be someone out there willing to take a flyer on the guy. Pro-rate the
guaranteed signing bonus, the current salary and away he goes.

Posted by: periculum | September 12, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Another post where, prior to today, I wouldn't put my name on it because its about inappropriate ridicule, but its the new me.

Go to the pics of the Dolphins game. Pic #3 of Williams talking to Robiskie. Waddya think, Grecian Formula or Just for Men? [Still, re: the weight, he took it off and he's keeping it off.]

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Kelli Johnson just put to rest the whole Springs conspiracy nonsense. His hamstring was tight and they wanted to be cautious with it, particularly because he didn't play the last 2 preseason games either. End of story.

Skins media always has to have a Watergate scenario going so I can't wait to hear what they come up with next. Portis to Springs to what? Will Moss ever be the same after dropping 2 passes!?!!

(Still waiting for JLC to acknowledge he trashed Portis and the skins handling of him for a month and was proven totally wrong. I guess starting the next controversy is easier then putting closure on the last.)

Posted by: JB | September 12, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Does traiding, the wr, usually have the same cap impact as a cut? I never have been clear about that? Though I have no idea where they would be able to traid him to. Maybe philly after next week?

Posted by: 35332 | September 12, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Farstriker, I agree at every point except QB. A great QB makes up for a lot of other things and if a potential franchise QB is available you have to draft or sign him. WR, RB, CB, S, TE, more often then not flash for a few years but don't last, a good QB can have a 15 year career and can elevate even average rosters to annual playoff contenders and super bowl champs.

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

"Okay, that's my philosophy on how to build a team. Draft the lines in the early rounds, and add everything else later on."

Tackles yes. But skill positions generally especially cornerback and feature back. I'm not keen on high round QBs. Like Lloyd too much guaranteed money up front for a bust in 2 years. The 'Skins went to the bottom of the 1st round to get Campbell and Ramsey. Decent moves both financially and team building wise. Wide receiver, it depends .. both lions and the skins burned there. But the Lions have found some great "keepers" since then. Skins even blow it with 2nd rounders. Safety is a new
trend for upper round picks. Hybrid speed guys with the ability
to cover one-on-one, blitz mercilessly and tackle anything that moves.

Posted by: periculum | September 12, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th | September 12, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

trade lloyd? heh heh heh. ho ho ho. that's one of the funniest things i've ever seen! takes 2 to tango. who's gonna be the sucka?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

same link as DCsween, check out pic 27. Pretty telling.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Sween,

You don't remember this?

Brandon the red-finned tuna had a very shiny fin.
And if you ever saw it it would even make you grin.
All of the mermaids and sea wenches used to laugh and call him names.
They never let poor Brandon join in any dating games.
Then one foggy Sargasso Sea Danny came to say,
Brandon with your fin so bright won't you catch passes for my Redskins tonight?
Then how the mermaids loved him as jeered at him with glee,
Brandon the red-finned tuna you won't go down in history but
you'll be canned in a fisheeeerrrrry.

Posted by: periculum | September 12, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

If I could trade Lloyd, I would. But the other guys would insist Skins pay most of the salary. And whats the other team gonna give up? Maybe they have a 1972 rusted out Datsun lying around ...

Posted by: AL | September 12, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

They should have waived Fox or Boschetti and picked them up next Tuesday. Lord knows they'd be safe.

Putting Mason out there is playing with fire.

Posted by: Bryan | September 12, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

farstriker, turns out Rocky MacIntosh was a good pick too. Your rhap on WR prima donnas (prima donni?) is about right, but Santana, Reggie Wayne, and Marvin Harrison are obvious exceptions. The RB thing is more hit or miss on the ... primary ballerina thing.

QBs and OTs seem like safe picks in the first round, but that idea craters based Tom Brady (who, it turns out, is the product of good signal stealing!) and our very own Stephon Heyer, who is destined for bigger things.

Draft-wise, its good be able to draft for "best player available" ... or otherwise be able to rely on competent "talent evaluators" (esp. for character at WR) for college guys. From all accounts, Calvin Johnson also is turning out to be a high quality character guy too.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Note Gocong DL in college, small school CSU Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Converted to linebacker.

Posted by: periculum | September 12, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

deal AL. deal! where do we sign? quick don't let them change their minds!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Who wanted it more?

Posted by: 35332 | September 12, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah the Colts shouldn't have drafted Peyton that high, it was a risk financially the Bengals shouldn't have taken Carson, the Eagles shouldn't have taken Mcnabb, the Chargers shouldn't have taken Rivers they all should have dropped down and gotten someone else. What?!?!?!? Ramsey was a good decision?!?!?!!? While I agree, misses are possible and happen, and lower round guys emerge, Tom Brady's story is rare, if a franchise QB is there, you gotta take the shot.

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

JB - This story was broke this morning around 7 am. And that came straight from the horses mouth, not secondary........

Posted by: 4th | September 12, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

My drafting philosophy, fast smart guys, everything else is bug, a decient coach should be able to teach everyone.

Posted by: 35332 | September 12, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Bryan, I think there are rules against waiving injured guys. It might be that moving Mason to waivers and then practice squad was a calculated risk (and/or that Fox and Spaghetti are more important for their special teams play than Mason is for his).

periculum, I don't know how I missed that. Doesn't seem like the name really caught on here.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I subscribe to Old School's philosophy on the draft ... it doesn't matter who they choose, as long as they choose right.

[Among other things, it reserves the fans' right to complain about bad moves later ... and discount good moves at will.]

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

On that note, given the circumstances as they were at the time, I have no idea why the Skins picked Jordan Palmer when they did. Also, with the benefit of hindsight, I'm still loving the pick of H.B. Blades. [See how easy this is?]

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Fox also got a signing bonus to sign a 3 year contract with the team in the offseason.....

Posted by: 4th | September 12, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

"Spoke to two NFL execs today who said they strongly considered making a waiver claim on Marcus, having scouted him in the preseason when he performed well, but could not make their own numbers work on their roster to do so at the RB position today."

I wonder how many people Jasno calls on a daily basis. Got to be about 50-100

Posted by: Dante | September 12, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand the Sartes, Palmer, or the back-up TE pick. The Blades pick was a good one cause Marshall proved he couldn't play middle LB so we needed some depth there, but not at outside LB then or now, and a 3rd string TE and practice squad QB (which is at best what any qb was going to be with gibbs' love for #8 and Saunders love for collins) can be found without wasting picks, I don't understand why we didn't take some late round fliers on Oline guys. That's where regular steals are found in the late rounds, because the skill guys get all the flashy plays and high picks but rounds 4 - 7 can produce some very serviceable linemen. Like the Landry and Blades picks, absolutely hated the rest of our draft and said so at the time and everyone killed me then too.

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm not saying it all would have worked out, but if you hit on just one it was worth it!!!! Look and Golston and Monte.

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I said then and stick to it, we should have drafted three guards and hoped one stuck, even if Wade had made the transition we could use the depth, but everyone was all like "Wade is here everything will be fine... and that's why we paid Wade.." instead we send a 4th for Kendall.

Which don't get me wrong great move, but could have been unnecessary.

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

jack for gm. go jack. you know all. every draft pick that made the team, you called it ahead of time. every pick that didn't, you knew they wouldn't make the team. and you wonder why you rub people the wrong way around these here parts. the i'm always right routine gets old.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

...jack now typing his beligerent response to anon...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

instead we send a 4th for Kendall.

Which don't get me wrong great move, but could have been unnecessary.

Posted by: Jack | September 12, 2007 05:42 PM

There you go again, Jack, playing loose with the facts. We're sending a fifth in 2008 or a fourth in 2009. A fourth in 2009 is virtually identical in value to a fifth in 2008.

The idea that you could have gotten anyone in the draft as good as Kendall is absurd. How many guards in the last draft are starting today? Even if we'd picked five guards, we still would have had to trade for Kendall to get anyone as good as Kendall.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

4:32 PM was not me.

I will be joining in the hijinx later tonight

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 12, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, DC. You're probably right about waiving an injured player. It's just frustrating watching a guy you like and who has so much potential dangled in front of the whole NFL while we carry 6 safeties for one game.

I like Omar and I'm glad he's back. But losing Marcus in the process would curdle my stomach like bad cottage cheese.

Ah, we really like our Lumsdens in DC. Buncha romantics!

Hail.

Posted by: Bryan | September 12, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

You gotta be freakin' kidding me.

Cut out the name faking, dude. Just cut it out.

Cease and desist.

I implore you,

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 12, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Ok, fake Nate. Whateva....

Bryan - the whole 53 man rule thing is F'd up, man. If this was the 80s we can keep him on IR or hide him many ways. Today's NFL, you can't really hide anyone anymore...

Posted by: 4th Floor | September 12, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

All I wanted was for you to implore.

Fake Nate will be put to bed permanently.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 12, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

4th, sorry, I'm seriously bummed out that this tool is appropriating my nickname. And he's smart and RI-savvy enough to make the fakes eerily close to things I say. It's just freaking me out and making this whole thing unpleasant.

I thought it was done since there was a break today, but here it goes again... *sigh*,

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 12, 2007 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Ok fake NAte, AGAIN....

Where is your water mark? huh?

Posted by: 4th | September 12, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's awesome, thanks for that, fake Nate in the PDX at 6:09. I'm glad you're having a laugh making me melt down.

I'll say it again, dude, if you have a problem with me and how I conduct myself on this blog, the very best thing we could do is discuss it off the blog. Send me an email at nateinthepdx at gmail dot com. I'm not saying this to threaten you or challenge you to a fight, in fact I'll admit to being a dedicated coward; I just want you to stop doing this because it's freaking me out. And the fact that you persist makes me think there's something seriously wrong here. Let's work it out.

Thanks,

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 12, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

(I'm not bs'ing here) I work with Santana's uncle. Apparently, Moss worked out in Fla. with a few of the Dolphin defensive guys and they kept telling him "watch out if you come over the middle, boy." He only had one bad drop - over the middle on a short post. He was badly overthrown once and he caught three relatively routine passes. I ain't worried...I just wish I didn't have to live in Dallas while this spiked kool-aid gets passed around. Cowboys will implode as usual and will have a chance on Dec 30th because we'll be resting our starters for the playoffs.

Posted by: Gasson | September 12, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

That's just the thing, Ahmad, I came to the realization that the freakin' watermark or whatever was just stupid, that I was just playing into this dude's hands. I'm sick and tired of this crap, and apparently WashPo hasn't done or can't do anything to stop it.

I just want to contribute to the Ultimatum in peace! I want my identity back! I want to love this blog again, with no strings attached, like in the olden days!

Good grief,

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | September 12, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Still waiting for water mark.......

Posted by: 4th Floor | September 12, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

I'll believe you for now 'Nate'.

I feel for you though. Really, I do.....

Posted by: 4th | September 12, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Nate you should enjoy the fake posts. At least you know which ones are fake. I find them funny and I know funny.

Posted by: Chris Rock | September 12, 2007 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I find them funny too

Posted by: ghost of Richard Pryor | September 12, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I was watching Sportcentre last night and caught some highlights of the USA vs China game from the Women's World Cup, so I saw the infamous Hope Solo in action.

Man she had a Jens Lehmann moment with that first goal didn't she!

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Well I do not find them funny. The only discussion here should be how to win Sundays football game.

Posted by: ghost of Vince Lombardi | September 12, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I know ghosts....ghosts are funny!

Posted by: Ghost of a Nearly Headless Nick | September 12, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

B Loyd is faking it as a receiver

Posted by: J Gibbs | September 12, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Vince. To be honest, I couldn't even tale if that was Nate. Anyone could have known my name for obvious (to the RI nation) reasons. And that would be sad if someone is that much of a loner he needs to steal the identity of others than uses my real name in their post since people only know my real name for one reason only.

Sad and pathetic....

Posted by: 4th | September 12, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Reading that postgameheroes review, they pointed out that in the Miami game, the Skins didn't play a single down in a Dime Package. Wonder if that will change against a pass happy Eagles offense.

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Kost - the #4 CB was inactive for the game - MAcklin...

Peace

Posted by: 4th Floor | September 12, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, 4th. I think our IR stash fund has been exhausted.

This is a tangent but anybody know WHY teams have to deactivate players each Sunday? Why can't all 53 be used?

I KNOW it's the rules. I just wonder why the rule exists.

Posted by: Bryan | September 12, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

"For this team's chemistry's sake Lloyd absolutely MUST GO. I can't imagine Gibbs being able to look a guy like James Thrash in the eye while keeping someone like that on the roster."

Couldn't agree with this more.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | September 12, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse

4th - Yeah, I was surprised by that, I thought he had played well in the pre-season. Torrence was active though, as were 3 backup safeties (although we now know that Fox and PP had injuries). I guess it shows quite a bit of faith in the speed and coverage skills of both Rocky and Fletch.

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Well one would think with the Skins picking up Caldwell and not dropping Bodiford that they are working on getting rid of the receiver. There is no way they keep 6 wr on the roster and we all know they aren't cutting SM, & ARE. And there is no way that they would cut thrash in light of his hustle over BL at least I would hope not. I'm guessing that BL has this week to shape up or else he's gone. If he shapes up Bodiford to the Practice Squad.

Posted by: Dante | September 12, 2007 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Just got done tucking Fake Nate into bed. What are we talking about?

Ohh, that Lloyd boy. I think he will be gone by the end of the bye week.

Posted by: Fake Nates Mom | September 12, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Dante - I reckon you're pretty spot on there. Thing I don't get is, as it's been pointed out on the blog, the cap hit we'd suffer would hurt too much if we just cut him, and I don't really see him doing a deal with us, which would allow him to be cut, because I think it would be the end of his career, no one will pick him up.

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

panties

Posted by: thongs | September 12, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm scouring the net to find out the WHY, in regards to a game day roster of 45 players.

Here are some tidbits I've found out so far -

- One defensive player wearing a helmet headset, similar to the QB, also failed to pass on a 22-10 vote, the 2nd year in a row this measure has failed, and by an even larger margin than last year's 18-14 squeaker.

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 7:32 PM | Report abuse

- The Bears wanted to increase active roster size to 47 players, but the move failed by a small margin, 17-15.

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

- On regular-season game days the team names its 45-man Active Roster which defines those players who may participate in the game. In addition, each team is allowed to name one of the remaining 8 players as its emergency backup QB--that player can only play QB and can only play in the event of injury to the team's #1 and #2 QBs.

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Kost- totally right about the cap space... who knows maybe they'll put him on the ir with a faked injury and then cut him next year...

There is an easy way to get the cap space... and that is to restructure springs' contract in a way that pays him the same. Could be another reason that nothing has happened yet with BL. And its not like the FO would lose face restructuring Springs for this reason. I doubt there is a fan in town who is enamored with BL

Posted by: Dante | September 12, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Now that I think about it those 8 inactive roster spots are really just your week to week IR for minor injuries. By the end of the year many teams' have their entire inactive squad full of injured people at least that's what i recall p diddy quoting ozzie newsome when RI was discussing adding more games at the expense of preseason ones.

It makes sense. That's where we put wade last week when banged up... its every teams untouchable practice squad in effect

Posted by: Dante | September 12, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but why do they need to be inactive? Couldn't the full 53 player roster be active? I read that the game day active roster is to be a maximum of 45 and minimum of 42, and that's part of the bargaining agreement. But I don't see how it is advantageous to either the owners or players to have an inactive list, inactive players still get paid the same don't they?

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Dante - Actually thinking about it after I wrote that (I hate it when I do that!), I guess the mini IR call would be right on. If all 53 were active, then teams would be more likely to cut players who will be out with 5-6 week injuries and replace them with players who can play a role. Having an inactive roster allows teams to hang onto injured players without it effecting their game day roster, and it also gives the players a bit better job security.

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I can't even tell if it is the real nate begging the impersonator to stop of if fake nate is writing to himself. Sure it is kind of annoying for you but i can't help but chuckle a little bit.

All I can say about periculum and his Lloyd song is WOW. Straightjacket and rubber room required asap.

2-0 next week. Fire up the bandwagon.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 7:58 PM | Report abuse

7:58 was me. My bad. F LLoyd.

Posted by: cdubb | September 12, 2007 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Not saying I agree or disagree with the current system but the why I see it and the rationale behind it is that as long as there is no official week to week IR every team as especially as the season progresses is going to have several of its players with minor injuries who will be unable to play on a given week.
As a result seeing as no. of injuries is often different from team to team you could end up with say the cowboys being able to dress 51 out of 53 players one sunday while the redskins can only dress 47 out of 53. And we all know coaches and fans especially would cry foul that they were underhanded against their hated archrival.
Thus we have a 45 player active roster as i'm guessing that the NFL determined that no team should have more than 8 minor injured players that would need to sit on a given week and this way no team gets an advantage one week from having more of its players able to play than its opponent.

Posted by: Dante | September 12, 2007 8:04 PM | Report abuse

kost 7:55 post is right on... basically what i was trying to explain in my last post but much clearer

Posted by: Dante | September 12, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, Nate, I think this is horrid and I feel bad for you.

Fake Nate, you suck!

Posted by: farstriker | September 12, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

cdubb you seem like a wise young man. I agree - Flloyd

Posted by: Fake Nates Mom | September 12, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

farstriker please dont speak that way about my boy. your momma should bend you over her knee

Posted by: Fake Nates Mom | September 12, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Fake Nates Mom, I apologize for using a vulgar term about your son.

I should have said that your son's behavior is disgraceful, and that you have done a poor job teaching him the rudiments of blog etiquette.

* * *

And may I suggest you learn to use apostrophes?

I tell you, we get lazy about usage and the next thing you know our kids are stealing people's blog identities.

Posted by: farstriker | September 12, 2007 8:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad you're having a laugh making me melt down.
LMGO!

nate, i hope you were joking cuz if not i'm officially worried about you.

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2007 8:40 PM | Report abuse

thank you for the apology. there is hope for you, yet

Posted by: Fake Nates Mom | September 12, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Sending out an APB - Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Joe Friday | September 12, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

You know when you're the guy who takes the joke one line too far? You just took it about ten. Let it go!

Posted by: SMACK | September 12, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Awesome news David Boston is available to pair up with B.Llyod!!!

Can't get no better

Posted by: noone from tampa | September 12, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Let me just say, as an English teacher, that I am thoroughly dimayed at the state of pseudo-journalism when Jackson LaCanicholson can use this phrase, "However, he is on other team's radar..." and still have a job.

The correct punctuation of the above would be, "However, he is on other teams' radars..."

I know it's a blog, but criminy.

Also, where the heck is Nate, anyway?

Posted by: Larry Bud | September 12, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Perkins the save!!! For DC United fans anyway.

Posted by: SMACK | September 12, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

alright!

fake nate, c'mon! like i said before when someone came up here as lisa. it's fun to teese and all but when the regs get mad and stop posting then it's time to stop. cuz even you don't want that.

Posted by: dealer | September 12, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 12, 2007 04:57 PM

It's hard to underestimate the importance of this point. Now, the Eagles have to come up with a game plan to stop Portis/Betts, contain Moss and ARE. Oh, and they'll have to keep and eye on Cooley too.

Posted by: Stumped | September 12, 2007 9:12 PM | Report abuse

If the Skins go up there and hang an 0-2 on the Iggles, I will sjk a sjk.

But I might prefer you both at 1-1. And I'm curious what you all came up with for sjk a sjk. But it's a family paper.

Posted by: SMACK | September 12, 2007 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and they'll have to keep and eye on Cooley too.

Posted by: Stumped | September 12, 2007 09:12 PM

Stumped, Where was Cooley last week? Was he staying in to block and help Heyer?

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

te,

Cooley was blocking and when he ran routes was covered. He had the one very critical reception, so characteristic of how Gibbs uses the TE. As long as Soup has a number 2 target, you gotta figure Cooley's number won't be called quite as much as last year.

Posted by: Stumped | September 12, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

According to the Fantasy Bulletin, Cooley has never scored a TD against the Eagles.

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Skinz | September 12, 2007 04:57 PM

___________

Wouldn't it be a hoot if there is so much ammo in the offense this year that we go to, say, BLloyd as the fake ARE, and the opponent is just stunned! Can't figure us out from week to week.

Well, we can dream.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

________

shti a brcki

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 9:39 PM | Report abuse

brcki sounds like a slavic swear word

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 9:41 PM | Report abuse

BUT! 9:39 was not me (at least, not the real me)

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 9:42 PM | Report abuse

That's one of the things I liked about Jason's play on the weekend, he took what he was given. Cooley and Moss were gone so he went to ARE. I'm not sure if Brunell was like that, which is why so many passes went to Cooley and Moss. And if they weren't there, next option was dump to Betts.

With Jason it seems like he's not afraid to take what you give him (which he may have learned from the 1st INT). As anon said above, it would be interesting to see what would happen if the Eagles 'gave' JC B.Lloyd!

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

also, it seems like Jevon Kearse always has a good game against us ... is that just me?

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

BUT! at 9:41, you WERE amused!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

SMACK - if you were an aussie I'd have a fair guess at what 'sjk a sjk' was. But I'm not sure why you'd replace duck with sjk!

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Nope. Not amused. I felt slavic ... and offended by the use of that type of language here.

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I am confused. I am a frequent reader but first time poster. What is with this fake Nate deal? I thought it was just one of the regulars having fun. I was enjoying it. I spit out my drink because one of the posts was so funny.

That Fake Nates Mom is obviously another person jumping in on the fun.

Why are people getting upset? It is to bad when everyone takes this too seriously. I much rather read the fake Nate stuff than the sign Cooley spamming or mean name calling.

Just my $.02

Posted by: Tulsa | September 12, 2007 9:52 PM | Report abuse

A pic of the alleged taping of Jets defensive coaches....

If true, can you believe the dude has that huge honking camera on his shoulder, and is the only guy not pointing at the field of play?? Hilarious.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 12, 2007 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Tulsa,

If real Nate in the PDX stops posting, which he might, then the joking has gone too far.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 12, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I know that Lloyd, Brandon is the goat.
But I just can't imagine that he just doesn't care about football anymore. You just don't reach the NFL and not care.

I'm not ready to write him off because of one game this year. I think its easy to criticize him for that pick in the end-zone last week. "He looked like he just didn't want it as much as the DB, etc"

I hope BL gets some next Monday,AND I HOPE (pray) HE DELIVERS THE GOODS! If there is a Redskins player out there who can't afford to have a bad day, it's Lloyd, Brandon.

I hope signing Caldwell makes some kind of impact on him too. Nice to have a medium to go with all the smalls.

HAIL!

ps - After the Giants game, if nothings changes. I'll come back east and drive him out of town on a midnight bus (or maybe he'll take take the limo).

Posted by: Stumped | September 12, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Tulsa - As dealer put it, he could just give him/herself a name like Bizarro Nate or something and it would have the same humourous effect. But but using Nate's actual handle, it's taking Nate's identity away from him. If we don't pick up that a comment is the fake Nate, he's being attributed a comment which he hasn't made.

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Tulsa (if that is your real name), there has been a spate of identity theft here recently. The first incident used Nate's name to call everyone losers. As the community here knows, that is not what the community is about. Its just a bad scene. Worse than the ES blog wars. Al Qaeda-like in its devious deviance.

Most recently, there has been some foul use of the slavic language by some prcki (who I think I just called a plum).

Posted by: dcsween | September 12, 2007 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Sween,

You might be on to something. Maybe some of the ES dudes are employing fake Nate as a way to undermine this here little community.

Let the conspiracy theories begin!

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 12, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Tulsa--

Are you serious? What is wrong with it? Nate spends a lot of time on this blog and his words have meaning because they're from him and part of the story that he's telling up here. If any imposter can post under his name it completely destroys what he's built. The names we use have meaning, the meaning that we give them by the words we write. Imagine a blog in which all posts are anonymous or in which everyone is Nate. It has no past or future. No one can create anything on it. Why bother?

At least, that's how I see it.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 12, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Stumped - I haven't seen the pick which BLloyd 'gave up on', but have seen the photo. Did the ball end up going through his hands, or did the DB take it out of his hands? If the DB took it out of his hands, it could be that Lloyd thought he was more open than he actually was, and relaxed a little. Not saying this is a legitimate excuse, but it's better than giving up on the play.

Like you, I can't think that he has no interest in football, I think that the work he put in over pre-season shows it is important to him.

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 10:01 PM | Report abuse

The prize for posting the 100,000 comment on RI:

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 12, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Tulsa,
Nate is something of a blog ringleader here.
(So first, I'll do what Nate would do and welcome you to the blog. It's great to have you post. Keep it up!)

For the most part, its one big happy family up here (mayberry, if you will), but there are a few trouble makers too.

Nate takes a lot of SJK up here from an anonymous poster. It's okay to post some anonymous stuff as long as you play nice, it's fun to post under obviously false monikers, but you never, never, never make posts using someone's name. It destroys the integrity of the blog experience for everyone. So the fake posts that followed under using "fake Nate" while cleaver are really destructive.

Too bad.

I started posting because Nate was taking a break to move. I wanted to represent PDX. In fact, I used a derivative of Nate in the PDX, but realized after about two posts, it wasn't right. So I used Stumped instead a derivation of Stumptown.

So, you put your toe in...go for it Tulsa!

Posted by: Stumped | September 12, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Smootie smoot gets away with a dump drop because he talks like that kid in the Fat Albert series -- I'mba so-ba gladba to-ba be-ba backba!!

Maybe BLloyd should affect that, and we'd all forgive him.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

kost,

I must have been checking out one of the waitresses on that play.

Posted by: Stumped | September 12, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

No, this is not my real name (just my real location).

I agree that it is sad if the real Nate stops posting. He is one of the regs that I enjoy reading. My point is that it seems like harmless fun. As I read the blog, I thought the fake Nate said he was stopping at 6:09. I read it as playful joshing and then moving on.

And then Fake Nates Mom was a new identity (kind of like Bizarro Nate, kost52). Upon reflection, maybe Fake Nate morphed into Fake Nates Mom - not 2 different regulars like I originally thought.

Just my $.02

Posted by: Tulsa | September 12, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

What is PDX?

Posted by: Tulsa | September 12, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Some recon I conducted over at the Iggles home page:

No. 1 Focus Against Washington?

Handling Redskins blitz - 6.2%
Stopping Portis and ground game - 28.4%
Winning special teams battle - 12.2%
Pressuring QB Campbell - 13.5%
Unleashing McNabb and passing game - 39.7%

790 votes

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 12, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

That kid is Mushmouth

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Although this Iggles recon mission is a bit more entertaining...

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 12, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

It would be a crying shame if Nate stopped posting. This is a fun little community and it would be too bad if it disappeared because a bunch of kids came up here and acted like delinquents.

After all, only in DC (okay, maybe Denver, too) do we obsess over the roster ramifications of a 4th string RB, a 3rd string QB, a 6th string WR, and a 6th string Safety. The "religion" of the 'Skins is the one thing I miss more than anything about home, and this little blog helps keep that spirit alive.

Even if the team is the Arizona Cardinals of the east coast :-)

Posted by: P Diddy | September 12, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

PDX = Portland International Airport...

Nate lives in the Airport like that Viktor Navorski in "The Terminal"

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 12, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Although this Iggles recon mission is a bit more entertaining...

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 12, 2007 10:18 PM

Alyssa should share with Brady.

Posted by: Christian Troy | September 12, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

SC, Greg Easterbrook (aka TMQ on ESPN) rated the 'Skins cheerleaders as the best in the League.

Posted by: P Diddy | September 12, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

dcsween - By the way, I'm not real sure what to do about the conversion rates with the donations. Maybe we can just go with if it's an American Charity we pay in $USD if it's an Aussie Charity we pay in $AUD?

Unless someone has a better idea?

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Remember Matt Bowen? I don't know how long he's been doing it, but he writes for the Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/a-929999~Defense_will_make_or_break_season_for_Skins.html

Posted by: JustMe | September 12, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tulsa | September 12, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Whass up 'skinsheads?

Posted by: Stumped | September 12, 2007 09:29 PM

Think of it this way Stumped, ol' chum. The better teams have plays and players whom they bring along through the season. What a luxury we have as not to have to reveal too much Cooley, yet.

Posted by: Neil in Durango | September 12, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Bowen the dude who wanted to be a novelist?

All failed novelists become journalists :-)

Posted by: P Diddy | September 12, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Nate, my friend, remember the trials Lisa went through. We need people like her and like you. ITAs. They will go away. be Ghandi, non-violent, passive. ITAs.

Posted by: Neil | September 12, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Diddy, I saw that TMQ rated the Redskinettes #1.

They are our secret weapon. I would like to be in charge of stealing their signals.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 12, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Cooley could answer this question...

What is the pedigree of a NFL cheerleader? They don't look like college cheerleaders and seem more like a drill/dance team. (God I love the Dukettes!) Plus, why don't regular girls look like NFL cheerleaders? There must be a place where they all hang out... like an old Members Only warehouse or something.

Posted by: Dorf | September 12, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse

JustMe - Nice work! His opinion on the Smoot/Springs thing was interesting!

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Bowen the dude who wanted to be a novelist?

All failed novelists become journalists :-)
______________________________________

Au contraire, most journalists are failed novelists, but keep doing the journalist thing anyway.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

**talking to Philadelphia Eagles cheerleaders**

"I love you, Alainia, Alicia, and Allison. But I hate you, Alexandra, Alyssa, and Amanda."

"But we are identical!!?? . . .

"Exactly."

***beeeee--yoooo***

smoke rises from cheerleaders; their heads fall to the side and they deactivate.

Posted by: farstriker | September 12, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Matt Bowen was a Washington safety from 2003 to 2005. Had a good year in 2003 and then blew out his knee in 2004. Never played the same.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 12, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Farstriker -

love the Star Trek reference!!!!

Posted by: Mary | September 12, 2007 10:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm really struggling with this darn SHIFT key today. I dislocated my pinkie at basketball last night, looked disgusting when it happened, it was almost at right angles to where it should have been. It looks like a poor little swollen purple sausage at the moment.

Thankfully it wasn't my beer drinking finger!

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Acknowledged, Yeoman.

It was the only logical response to this:

Posted by: farstriker | September 12, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

What are you getting at, kost?

Do you want the blog to kiss your owie?

Posted by: farstriker | September 12, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

No, I think a kiss would make it more of an owie.

I'm thinking about applying for a capital letter exemption.

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Yep, very funny. Embarassingly enough, I recently watched that episode.

Posted by: Mary | September 12, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

You want embarrassing? When I was a teenager I made an index of all 79 (IIRC) episodes, coding for title, writer, and category.

For instance, I came up with 15 episodes with alien super-races with godlike powers.

This was in the days before Next Generation, before the movies, fergawdsakes when we were thrilled to hear about the Saturday morning animated series.

Posted by: farstriker | September 12, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Go back to that Picture of Jansen raising his hands up being carted off the field.

Now look at your pinky.

Now feel ashamed.

Man up Kost.

Posted by: Dorf | September 12, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't that sophisticated, but I had index cards too!

Posted by: Mary | September 12, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Who was your favorite character, Mary?

Favorite episode?

Posted by: farstriker | September 12, 2007 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Stop this, stop this, stop this right now.... perfectly good discussion of football, but now it's gone off all silly.

Posted by: leftenant cload and daggar | September 12, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

For me:

Character: Spock.

Episode: "Devil in the Dark," written by Gene L. Coon.

With the immortal line by McCoy: "I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

-----------------------

Though Harlan Ellison's "City on the Edge of Forever" is pretty awesome.

Posted by: farstriker | September 12, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Reading jasno's lastest article it appears that we only paid caldwell 600k not too shabby

I'm loving the new FO strategy of picking up decent players on the cheap like every other team in this league

Posted by: Dante | September 12, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

and you've killed the blog...

I'm going to bed.

Posted by: Dorf | September 12, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

leftenant, after the fake nate craziness of the past day or (my guess is a low-level al Qaeda plot--it DID start on 9/11), I'm just doing my part to restore bloggy tranquillity.

We're still a ways to go, so man battle stations and prepare to beam down.

Posted by: farstriker | September 12, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

God I hate Trekkies

Posted by: William Shatner | September 12, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Whorf, I mean Dorf, it's early!

Posted by: farstriker | September 12, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Okay, okay, uncle.

Godfrey Daniels, don't you see?

All this Star Trek stuff has just been a futile attempt to keep from commenting on kost's 10:47!

But I can't take the pressure anymore!

Here's what he posted:

". . .it was almost at right angles to where it should have been. It looks like a poor little swollen purple sausage at the moment."

I just can't stop thinking about poor Mrs. Kost.

Posted by: farstriker | September 12, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Fake Nate I can deal with. I find amusement there.

Tis, though??? Star Trek has successfully killed RI for tonite.

Turning controls over to the guys dressed like Klingons. G'nite and please get it out of your system.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Never got into Star Trek on any level. But I suppose I'm that way with most Sci-Fi.

Can't get enough sports movies though. Watched We Are Marshall recently, I didn't know about any of that stuff, boy were the tears flowing that night!

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Now, nobody likes a good laugh more than I do...except perhaps my wife and some of her friends...oh yes and Captain Johnston. Come to think of it most people like a good laugh more than I do. But that's beside the point. Now, let's have a good clean healthy outdoor sketch. Get some air into your lungs.

Posted by: leftentant cload and daggar | September 12, 2007 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Tell you what, the 2005 Draft is looking like a stinker isn't it! Have a look at the top 10 picks!

1- QB Alex Smith - SF
2- HB Ronnie Brown - MIA
3- WR Braylon Edwards - CLE
4- HB Cedric Benson - CHI
5- HB Carnell Williams - TB
6- CB Adam 'Pacman' Jones - TEN
7- WR Troy Williamson - MIN
8- CB Antrell Rolle - ARI
9- CB Carlos Rogers - WAS
10- WR Mike Williams - DET

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 11:54 PM | Report abuse

wow double move might be the best player on that list!

Posted by: chris larry | September 13, 2007 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Oh by the way...

F Fake Nate...

I am going to be pissed if Nate has been driven away

Posted by: chris larry | September 13, 2007 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Next Monday will be attitude adjustment Monday. Our expectations for the season will make a big move (either up or down).

(Now, we wait)

Posted by: Stumped | September 13, 2007 12:08 AM | Report abuse

It's officially killing me.

Posted by: Stumped | September 13, 2007 12:12 AM | Report abuse

CL - There's no real stand out stars are there. Of course, there were later in the draft, but that top ten, wow.

Posted by: kost52 | September 13, 2007 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Stumped - (attitude adjustment Tuesday?)Anticipation is a great thing isn't it! I can't wait, not only because of the implications of the result, but also, I actually get to see the Skins play the full game! Woohoo!!

Posted by: kost52 | September 13, 2007 12:17 AM | Report abuse

double move needs a double dose of stick em to be in the top 10 of anything. Still could be an impact player at some point, hopefully.

Posted by: nah | September 13, 2007 12:21 AM | Report abuse

sd had an amazing first round. i think i'd rather see lights out or castillo in burgandy and gold. just goes to show you how even the 1st round is a guessing game.

Posted by: nah | September 13, 2007 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Sure is isn't it. But then let's not forget that both of those players have had drug issues. If either player re-offends, they probably won't look like such a good pick.

Posted by: kost52 | September 13, 2007 12:35 AM | Report abuse

no doubt about it. merriman didn't look like the same player sunday v chicago as the in the previous 2 years.
i guess i still have bitter beer face over 22 dropping that pick for a sure 6 v seattle in the playoffs.

Posted by: nah | September 13, 2007 12:47 AM | Report abuse

You aren't on your own there!

Posted by: kost52 | September 13, 2007 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Wow, hasn't been this quiet in here for a long, long time.

Posted by: kost52 | September 13, 2007 1:45 AM | Report abuse

OK, the pool for when 'the receiver' is inactive for game day is still wide open. Here is how it stands:

Game 2:
Game 15:
Game 16:
Playoffs???!!!:
Dresses entire season: Big Fish

Lots of open spaces.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 13, 2007 1:59 AM | Report abuse

i think the lack of nate is making it so quiet

Posted by: Dante | September 13, 2007 2:05 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, Dante. It's like some Marvel plot of an evil twin assuming the identity of our beloved sherrif only to drive the sherrif to some unknow places in another realm, perhaps.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 13, 2007 2:13 AM | Report abuse

Put me down for week 6.
Of course, if he puts up some numbers by week 3...I go with Bigfish.

Posted by: Stumped | September 13, 2007 2:15 AM | Report abuse

Bangkokben, put me down for Game 7. No real reason, the best choices are taken, I'm just guessing that it'll take Reche a few weeks to get up to scratch, and he won't be inactive until then.

Posted by: kost52 | September 13, 2007 2:15 AM | Report abuse

Updated pool for when 'the receiver' is inactive for game day. Here is how it stands:

Game 2:
Game 14:
Game 15:
Game 16:
Playoffs???!!!:
Dresses entire season: Big Fish

Posted by: bangkokben | September 13, 2007 2:17 AM | Report abuse

well for this pool thing about the receiver i would say week 3 which goes along with what i said early this afternoon. I'm assuming here that I can double up with bangkokben or do i have to pickanother week?

Posted by: Dante | September 13, 2007 2:21 AM | Report abuse

The Sheriff loves this blog, but the Sheriff doesn't need this blog.

To the Sheriff the blog is not an end, but a means to an end.

namaste

(which if I'm not mistaken roughly translates into "panties" in hindi)

Posted by: Stumped | September 13, 2007 2:24 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if we can double up.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 13, 2007 2:39 AM | Report abuse

lastly

Posted by: Anonymous | September 13, 2007 3:53 AM | Report abuse

bangkokben,

Yeah, please put me down for week 2. The way Buges was talking on the tube Monday night, I think they want to get a message across to the guy.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 13, 2007 4:54 AM | Report abuse

Crickets? Am I up and at work before the Crickets? It's way too early.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 5:07 AM | Report abuse

Kost- You Jansen'd your finger? Ouch! We're putting you on IR mate.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 5:18 AM | Report abuse

The O's gave up 18 runs last night! Good to see their pitching coming around.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 5:21 AM | Report abuse

My version of the Crickets.

1st paragraph...Dallas lawyer...tried to nut shot a cop.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 5:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 5:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 5:32 AM | Report abuse

Kost- This is good timing for you and your finger. "You cut off WHAT?!"

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 5:38 AM | Report abuse

kfxd8jgk498rxncn[;'a'lLSOjDMOwrelk9o

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 6:00 AM | Report abuse

Oops. Sorry. Just fell asleep on the keyboard there.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 6:01 AM | Report abuse

Haters? Fakers? Anons?

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 6:09 AM | Report abuse

Anybody got a 'Fiesta' magazine? lol

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 6:18 AM | Report abuse

At the tone, the time will be...still way too freakin' early!

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 6:28 AM | Report abuse

4-12, Do you ever get the feeling that you're talking to yourself? Masterblogtion? The sound of one hand clapping?

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 13, 2007 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Whoa. The blog stirs. Good morning TE.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Good morning to you, too, 4-12.

Posted by: Fake Nates Mom | September 13, 2007 6:42 AM | Report abuse

wow... there was some nerdy blog action going on last night. I thought the blog was dead after the whole Star Trek shabingus... way to take over left-coasters.

ps- where's jm220? Did he have a falling out with JLC or the hamsters? The Kool-Aid get too sweet for him?

Posted by: Dorf | September 13, 2007 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Upon review, it looks like it was a slow evening.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 13, 2007 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Dorf- Good to see you abiding. Got caught doing the earlier than early shift today, and not a blog creature was stirring, not even the Crickets.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 13, 2007 7:01 AM | Report abuse

How long do you think this guy will last?

Posted by: Fake Nates Mom | September 13, 2007 7:02 AM | Report abuse

ROMO is NFC player of the week.

Posted by: from the news wire | September 13, 2007 7:03 AM | Report abuse

He doesn't last past the OSU game.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 13, 2007 7:07 AM | Report abuse

He doesn't last past the OSU game.

Posted by: | September 13, 2007 07:07 AM

You are correct in your comment. I already have "Fire Carr" in my daytimer.

Posted by: Bill Martin | September 13, 2007 7:14 AM | Report abuse

same link as DCsween, check out pic 27. Pretty telling.

Posted by: | September 12, 2007 05:19 PM

Never truer words... telling and all i need to see. Cut his a$$ asap.

Stumped, nice Lost ref

Posted by: Zebra | September 13, 2007 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Just an FYI, I got transferred to another division, so my blog hours will be going down significantly due to the security measures.

I might just have to blog from home to get my fix.

Posted by: Zebra | September 13, 2007 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Bill Martin is the UM AD for those of you that do not know (I did not - Google is a great thing).

Posted by: Fake Nates Mom | September 13, 2007 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Zebra,

Sorry to hear that. Hope you can blog from home. We need you in our little family.

Posted by: Fake Nates Mom | September 13, 2007 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Thanks FNM; i think

Posted by: Zebra | September 13, 2007 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Morning, blog.

4-12, nice run from 5:07 to 6:29.

Posted by: farstriker | September 13, 2007 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone here know how the other receivers feel about Lloyd, Brandon?

Moss and Randle-El are workaholics, I can't imagine that they have warm and fuzzies about the receiver.

Incidentally, I had a dream last night that Lloyd, Brandon got traded to Houston. I can't remember what the Skins got in return but it seemed very real. I was actually surpised this morning when I didn't see it on WaPo.com

Posted by: etrod | September 13, 2007 7:58 AM | Report abuse

4-12, nice job last night.

Zebra, I don't know you all that well (I don't really know anyone here but you get what I mean), but there's a certain personal "letting go of yourself" when you start blogging at home. I crossed that thresh hold at some point mid-season last year and there is no turning back. See you Saturday night.

Posted by: Dorf | September 13, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

To be shamefully honest, the letters "PDX" kept popping into my head last night whilst I slept.

This is what happens Zebra. I feel dirty.

Posted by: Dorf | September 13, 2007 8:10 AM | Report abuse

FNM - LMAO - I hope you punished Fake Nate for all the chaos he created

etrod - I don't know what to think about BL. I find it curious that you never see any players get in his face, so maybe he is perceived as a hard worker???? I find that hard to believe, but you never know what happens in practice.

Posted by: Cindy's boy toy | September 13, 2007 8:11 AM | Report abuse

We are missing a lot of regs up here lately.

Lisa, jm 220, now Nate... sad days

Posted by: Zebra | September 13, 2007 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: etrod | September 13, 2007 07:58 AM

etrod--Now that's my idea of a dream. I think we could swing the following trade with Houston (or most other teams): They take Lloyd and our first and third picks in the upcoming draft and they send us their second round pick plus their fifth receiver.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 13, 2007 8:17 AM | Report abuse

TE - If you took a collection up from Redskins fans, we would throw in alot for someone to take Lloyd. I would donate my old Stratomatic game for the cause.

Posted by: Cindy's boy toy | September 13, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

We are missing a lot of regs up here lately.

Lisa, jm 220, now Nate... sad days

Posted by: Zebra | September 13, 2007 08:17 AM

This only feeds my fear that RI is just me and two other people.

Posted by: Cindy's boy toy | September 13, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Nate might be taking a day or so. Prob waiting for Cindy to get the A. O. K. from Cindy.....

JM220 is doing some real work for a chance, I bet.

Posted by: 4th via Home Floor | September 13, 2007 8:30 AM | Report abuse

JLaC said that Riccohet Caldwell plans on playing Monday.

Is Lloyd that bad?!?!?

Gibbs 2.4 needs to explain this if Caldwell either has more catches than the player or if he is more 'packages' than the player.

The player seems dumber and dumber as the weeks go on. Did he not learn anything in the offseason?

Posted by: 4th via Home Floor | September 13, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

*tumbleweed rolls across the blog*

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 13, 2007 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Still no sign of Jason Reid. JLaC should be getting paid overtime. I noticed that WaPo even pulled in our old friend Maske to analyze the Iggles.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 13, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Some classic yuks to raise the spirits up in here:

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 13, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Maske or Les Carpenter usually writes about the weeks opponets.

Posted by: 4th via Home Floor | September 13, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th via Home Floor | September 13, 2007 08:36 AM

Come on, 4th, you saw how the man played Sunday on his big chance to score a touchdown. He played like a man who had $500,000 bet against the 'Skins.

I say that he doesn't even make the trip to Philadelphia with the team. So, what did he learn over the summer? Probably took cooking classes so he can open a restaurant after the 'Skins cut him.

I do wish Jason would use some of his Insider energy to get to the bottom of this story.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 13, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4th via Home Floor | September 13, 2007 9:11 AM | Report abuse

I was the doofus who left his name off the 9:10.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 13, 2007 9:12 AM | Report abuse

For those who like newspaper comics and bad puns, go to the 09/09/07 strip.

Posted by: Mark (in 21132) | September 13, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

A friend of mine who was at the game said that on the INT, Lloyd had the guy beat on the first move but didn't explode out of his break (assuming the ball wasn't coming in his direction) he had to bust SJK to get to the ball after it was thrown but he allowed the corner to catch up to him so it was too late.

F Lloyd

Posted by: etrod | September 13, 2007 9:19 AM | Report abuse

I think I found the identity of the fake Nate.

Posted by: Skinz | September 13, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I'll take Game 5 in the Lloyd pool.

Posted by: NC ICU RN | September 13, 2007 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else feel its a little tight in here? A littel too cozy... can't stretch out all the way.

There seems to be lots of room over at Fife's House of Pontification, anyone want to squeeze in with me over there?

Posted by: Nate's Ego | September 13, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Just thought I'd post this over here for you guys.

It's from a Dolphins forum, but it's a really good dissection of how Weird Al and JJG successfully schemed to take Miami's run defense out of the equation.

The guy obviously spends WAY too much time looking at what's going on but it's an excellent breakdown of how the skins got their running game going so well.

Bye!

Posted by: Redcoat | September 13, 2007 9:34 AM | Report abuse

BMGO is real work. I just don't get paid for it.

If Jason starts up the TCCLs on Fridays, I will be justified in my labor.

REDSKINS INSIDER 2007
BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS

Posted by: Dorf | September 13, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

RC,

Come BAAAAAAAACK!!!!

Posted by: Skinz | September 13, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game and had a great angle on that throw to Lloyd from the opposite corner of the stadium... He quit on the route for sure about 25 yards down the field. I guess it was a nice display of the talent he's wasting that he caught up to the ball anyway, but I think Gibbs has had enough already.

Posted by: Steve | September 13, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Game 15:
Game 16:
Playoffs???!!!:
Dresses entire season: Big Fish

Did I miss anyone?

Posted by: bangkokben | September 13, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

from way earlier....team building starts with the qb.....it is just so difficult and so costly to a franchise to make a mistake at that position...it is so very difficult to play QB and lead a team in the nfl vastly different from college....that is just one of the reasons its hard to get one , lets just say that the pool of available talent to chose from each year both draft and FA is maybe a small handful sometimes 1 or 2....compare that to rb or wr or almost any other position, there maybe 100 NFL calibur players or more to choose from at each of the other 52 roster spots each and every year, my contention is that most of these nfl calibur players are disposable after 3yrs or so and teams are constantly turning over most of their rosters...the key is talent evaluation....get a franchise qb and keep finding as many good nfl quality other 52 guys anywhere.

Posted by: Old School | September 13, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Plenty of space in here.

Posted by: Fake Nate's Head | September 13, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"I'm really struggling with this darn SHIFT key today. ..."

Posted by: kost52 | September 12, 2007 10:47 PM

Welcome to dealer's world ...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 13, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I'll Take game 6.

Posted by: etrod | September 13, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Read an article on the Times' website about the Patriots fiasco. Makes me glad that they are not the only paper in town. What a hack job.

Posted by: BT | September 13, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

RC,

Really good breakdown. Thanks.

Posted by: Skinz | September 13, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

9:51AM was me. Nate is taking time off, though probably lurking. 9:30AM is a turd (probably also fake Nate, maybe Fake Nate's mom), I'm guessing nonon, Todd, or Art from ES.

Matt Bowen's article was the SECOND article I read that lauded (rather than booed) Smoot's performance. [The profootballheroes site goes so far as to say Smoot singlehandedly saved the game or something like that.] After the post-season run, when the Skins did not re-sign Bowen, Stoutmire, and Walt Harris ... the world continues to revolve.

I'm guessing that jm220 might have some day time blogging restrictions b/c (I think) its Ramadan. Maybe some other peeps are off today b/c of Rosh Hoshanah (sp?). I'm not real motivated to post today b/c of the identity theft and general mockery of it by some newbies (who might all be the same plum).

Posted by: dcsween | September 13, 2007 10:06 AM | Report abuse

since game 5 was previously taken I'll take Game 8.

Plenty of time by then for Caldwell to learn the offense well enough to be our #3 or #4.

Posted by: Thaiphoon | September 13, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

quick poll:

Who wins a superbowl first, Norv Turner or Dan Snyder?

Posted by: greg | September 13, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

It is a dark time in the history of RI. Our core bloggers have been driven off by shameless spoofers and ES d-bags.

Now it's up to us D-Listers to bring some credibility back to RI. If we can step up to the Boren Ultimatum maybe our fallen heroes will return.

If you blog it, they will come.

Posted by: etrod | September 13, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"Put me down for week 6. Of course, if he puts up some numbers by week 3...I go with Bigfish. If they keep winning, they'll get rid of dead wood a week or two before the Patriots."

Posted by: Stumped | September 13, 2007 02:15 AM

bangkokben, you forgot this one.

Posted by: dcsween | September 13, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Sween et all,

I don't know why you let those guys bother you. They are just sad depraved individuals.

Here is TSN's breakdown of the game. It stil amazes me that the "coaching" advantage never goes to Gibbs and his gaggle of coaches.

We actually got the "depth" check which I think is a first.

Anyway enjoy:

Posted by: Skinz | September 13, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

bang,

darn, I'm a little too late. I think he'll be inactive from week 3 on, so please put me down for the next open week after week 3...

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | September 13, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

If you built it, they will come ... unless Sean Taylor is there, in which case they stay in the corn.

Posted by: dcsween | September 13, 2007 10:20 AM | Report abuse

All you people care about is...*sob*...readers and making money off of him.

HE'S A HUMAN!!!

Leave Nate in the PDX alone!!

=]

Miss ya, Nate.

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 13, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I just found the magic lantern, gave it a good rub, and the genie popped out. These were my three wishes.

1. A new post by Jasno, telling us what he has been able to learn about Brandon Llard -- his cap number, his status with coaches, his status with other players, and his side of the story.

2. A new post by Cindy saying that "yes, we take identity theft seriously, we will enforce our policy of removing unsigned or fake entries, and we've already blocked fake Nate and will block other miscreants in the future."

3. This one is kind of personal and it involves Lindsay Czarniak. In fact, now that I think about it, I'd reverse the order of these three wishes.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 13, 2007 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Game 9 for me.

It's my birthday, 11/11: B-Lloyd's thoughtful present will be not dressing for the game.

Posted by: farstriker | September 13, 2007 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SCSkinsFan | September 13, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

quick poll:

Who wins a superbowl first, Norv Turner or Dan Snyder?

Posted by: greg | September 13, 2007 10:16 AM

Give me $20 on hell freezing over.

Posted by: SMACK | September 13, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"His talent gave him a good season or two before people knew much about him, but eventually the bad attitude and bad work ethic have caught up with him, because you can't make a living off talent alone in the NFL."

BS the guy could quit now and never have to work another day in his life

Posted by: Fat Bob | September 13, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

If Art Modell and Georgia Frontierre can win Super Bowls, anything can happen.

Posted by: P Diddy | September 13, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, Lindsay Czarniak.

Posted by: P Diddy | September 13, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

She sure is perky. Like she has Starbucks injected into her veins or something. I wonder what her opinion is on the impending map crisis.

Posted by: P Diddy | September 13, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I banged Czarniak last night on the set of the Sports Machine.

Posted by: George Michael | September 13, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Wow, that's some fascinating and very rich analysis that Redcoat linked to in his 9:34.

Posted by: farstriker | September 13, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

TE, Smack and George Michael all made me laugh pretty hard.

Posted by: Skinz | September 13, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

FINE!

i was going to wait until friday to post my nonesense predictions but here it is:

#85 has 5 catches for 140 yards and 2 TDs.

that's "life in nfl".

Posted by: dealer | September 13, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

dealer,

that would be more than he had all of last year...

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | September 13, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

you know with all this tape scandal...patsies don't look so mighty on the schedule no more...

Posted by: dealer | September 13, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

In 2001, the Dolphins beat the Titans, 31-23.

In 2003, the Titans beat the Dolphins, 31-7.

Home team lost in both games. Why is this interesting?

Because Right OT for Dolphins in both games was Todd Wade and Right DE for the Titans in both games was Jevon Kearse. Each one a game. But the home team lost.

Posted by: dcsween | September 13, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Let's see if this is correct:

Updated pool for when 'the receiver' is inactive for game day.

Game 2: talent evaluator
Game 3: bangkokben
bye
Game 4: dcsween
Game 5: NC ICU RN
Game 6: Stumped (sorry etrod, missed it earlier)
Game 7: kost52
Game 8: Thaiphoon (Is that ph as in phone or as in Phuket)
Game 9: Ricky Bobby reluctantly takes this one
Game 10:
Game 11:
Game 12:
Game 13:
Game 14:
Game 15:
Game 16:
Playoffs???!!!:
Dresses entire season: Big Fish

Posted by: bangkokben | September 13, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

ricky, i didn't say it makes any sense. i'm just saying that's what i think will happen.

Posted by: dealer | September 13, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

As long as Brady and Moss are on the same field together, the Pats are dangerous as heck.

Posted by: P Diddy | September 13, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

OK, then I'll take the Bye week.

Posted by: etrod | September 13, 2007 10:46 AM | Report abuse

sween, if you came up with that all by yourself then you're sick and need help.

Posted by: dealer | September 13, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: etrod | September 13, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

PFT asks two legitimate questions about the Pats QB (since 2001) who took a pay cut to stay with his team ...

"How many times have we seen Brady fire the ball to a wide open receiver an instant after Brady got the snap? How, in those cases, did he know so quickly that the guy would be open?"

bangkokben, I have a book on the shelves about Phuket, which my wife delights in mis-pronouncing. [Readers at home, its pronounced poo-KETT].

Posted by: dcsween | September 13, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Brady would be a heckuva lot more dangerous on a field full of women rugby players.

Posted by: bundchen in the oven | September 13, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"I hate to poop in the punch bowl but the right DE and Right OT don't face each other."

Posted by: etrod | September 13, 2007 10:48 AM

Damn, does that mean I have to do the whole thing over again with Samuels? Then NEVER mind. Who even plays at the other DE for the Eagles now?

[This feels worse than having my name pimped ... the only thing that would make me feel better (apart from more cowbell) would be a Sean Taylor hyperbole. Anybody here do those?]

Posted by: dcsween | September 13, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

It's called a Hot Read. Read the blitz, immediately throw to a predesignated (hot) receiver. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

JC did it with Cooley in OT.

Posted by: OC | September 13, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

The same questions could be asked about Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Donnovan McNabb, Steve McNair or any other top level QB.

Answer, because they all study film.

Follow up question: How many of those passes were incomplete.

I mean, F the Patriots but I'm just saying.

Posted by: etrod | September 13, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Heard JLaC on WTWP this morning on the NAter's version of the Tony Kornheiser Show.

Anyway, came in at the end but JLaC was ripping Smoot and said he never will be physical. And that they need to continue to run the combo of Portis/Betts on Monday night.

Just passing along to get us back on the right track.........

Posted by: 4th Floor | September 13, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Fun read on Slate about the relative value of different positions on a team:

Oh, and since 11/11 is taken, I'll grab me any open slot up there, bangkokben.

Posted by: farstriker | September 13, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The pool for when 'the receiver' is inactive for game day. Update

Game 2: talent evaluator
Game 16:
Playoffs???!!!:
Dresses entire season: Big Fish

Farstriker?

Posted by: bangkokben | September 13, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

FINE!
#85 has 5 catches for 140 yards and 2 TDs.

Posted by: dealer | September 13, 2007 10:40 AM

Dealer,

He'll have five catches alright -- two rockfish, and three crabs. Dude's not going to be in uniform. He's going fishing on the Eastern Shore.

Posted by: talent evaluator | September 13, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse