Washington Ready To Go; Brooks Speaks

Linebacker Marcus Washington was jumping around the locker room like his old self, shouting and singing. It was already pretty clear that he was not too worried about the hip problem that led to him sitting out a few games, but this was final confirmation.

Washington said he is ready to go full blast in practice and in Thursday's game at Giants Stadium. "It was just a precaution," Washington said of his time off. "I feel great. I'm ready to go."

Rookie punter Durant Brooks said he had some jitters over the weekend waiting to see if he made the final roster, and was obviously pleased by the outcome. Brooks beat out incumbent Derrick Frost for the job, with some suspecting that Brooks's status as a draft pick was a mitigating factor.

"I was a little nervous, but I try to think of it as I've done everything I possibly could," Brooks said. "It was up to the coaches and the front office to make their decision. I tried to relax during my time off (this weekend), and it was up to them."

The competition brought out the best in Brooks, he believes.

"You've got to think of every punt as being your last, and you've got to have a good one," Brooks said. "You really can't afford to have a bad one."

Brooks said no one told him why he got the job, or gave any explanation.

"I don't' know, I'm just glad to be here," Brooks said. "I don't know what put me over the edge or anything like that."

The fact that all 10 draft picks made the roster, even with many of them not exactly shining in the preseason, was not lost on the veterans. The fact that 20 percent of the roster is occupied by these players, again, something that was talked about a bit in the lockeroom.

"It's a dirty business," one veteran said of the fact all 10 draft picks made it. "It's not always about football around here."

By Jason La Canfora  |  August 31, 2008; 2:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Randle El Expects to Start (Updated)
Next: Thomas on Transition to Heyer

Comments

That's easily doable, but not for an Anonymous poster :)

Posted by: Cindy | August 31, 2008 2:28 PM

My bad. I was focused on typing my suggestion (and my lunch plans).

Posted by: Not Anonymous | August 31, 2008 2:51 PM

(reposted)

Posted by: Not Anonymous | August 31, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

+++Only problem with having Springs at FS should the Skins go to a dime package, Tryon The Liability, could be on the field and get exposed...
Posted by: JinxMan | August 31, 2008 12:36 PM+++

The only way Tryon gets on the field is if the kid who fetches the kickoff Tee doesn’t show.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 31, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only person giving the lil guy benefit of the doubt? Tryon won't be playing Man up D like he was in Preseason. Geez, he was covering 6'6" Matt Jones for goodness sake. Tryon is 5'9". Please don't think that would ever happen when real bullets are flying. He's a nickle/dime guy at best.

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Dang, I could have been "first!"

Ehh. My life would not have been dramatically altered with that accomplishment.

Two new commercials that I dig: the rapping Freecreditreport dudes (waiters at the party) and the ESPN Monday paper jam dude (Top 10 things you want Wonder Woman to do).

Posted by: Not Anonymous | August 31, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

BAD CHOICE, MARCUS MASON

I'm happy for Mason that he found a team that wanted him. I think he'll be a fine NFL back.

But dude, the Ravens? Magahey (sp?) is the starter and his replacement runner, Rutgers Rookie Ray Rice, is not only very alliterative but also a Gamer. NFL Network's Rod Woodson picked him as the top rookie to watch.

The fact I went to Rutgers has no bearing on my opinion. Honest. It's a coincidence, sorta like all 10 Vinny picks making the team.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 31, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I have to echo what most have said, but what's with Tyler Ecker? The guy has never been healthy. Is he really that solid of a prospect?

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

it might be a dirty buisness,but keeping 10 rookies is a step in the right direction in shaping a younger roster.

geisenger and his ability to play G/C makes him more valuable than todd wade.

Boschetti was the career bubble boy and rob jackson was a young guy who had a solid preseason.

keeping mason would have been a waste as they have 3 RB's already.

Richardson made the practice squad after outplaying justin tryon,but even then Tryon is the better athlete and will only be the 5th CB,so it's not like either would have seen the field.

Posted by: Ron Burgandy | August 31, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

whoever said its not always about football here must be a career redskin because obviously they have not played anywhere else

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | August 31, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 2:56 PM

Actually, the nickel guy doesn't just get to cover short receivers.

I thought Tryon looked awful against everyone in coverage, and didn't impress on Teams or as a returner. NOT to say he may not be a fine pro eventually.

Actually NO ONE impressed as a returner--which was disappointing, to say the least.

I didn't see any recovery burst of speed, a la D. Green to make up[ the distance when he was beat, which he was, frequently.

Posted by: Corkczar | August 31, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Reading the paper this morning (NYTimes) and they had 2008 season preview. They put Skins at bottom of NFC East (shocker) but two things jumped out at me.
One - the NFC in general is full of teams that can have break out or complete crap seasons so we may back into the playoffs.

Two - they had an interesting albeit not in depth enough article about development of QBs and how college teams simplly don't prepare their QBs for NFL level/style offense and that there is generally very poor QB coaching in the NFL. Colt is quoted and Zorn is mentioned. Left me feeling hopeful in that we have a high quality QB coach now but anxious because he may not survive.

Here's the link:

Posted by: sfskin | August 31, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

***FANTASY FOOTBALL POST****

Umm for the also rans league are we really having our draft on Tuesday? I thought we were going to do it today. Not that I have any idea of what I'm actually doing.

****END POST***

Posted by: sfskin | August 31, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

From Redskins columnist john Corcoran at NFLDraftdog.com

Cuts Made, The Real Season About to Begin

"April is the cruelest month…"—T.S. Elliott

Far be it from me to argue with a legendary poet, but in the NFL the cruelest month is August. Twenty-two Redskins became former Redskins this weekend after months of sweat, bruises and dreams. For a few, their dreams will continue on the practice squad, or perhaps elsewhere. But for most, it's the end of playing a sport and nurturing a passion that has consumed them most of their lives. (continues at...)

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

You're right if they're playing Cover 1 in a nickel, which I don't expect to see too often,.. He'll be the 6th DB when they play that man under D. Let's remember, you can't teach speed. He is still thinking a lot in coverage which will slow a guy down. I'll be the 1st to say he stunk it up out there but I trust that Jerry Gray has seen a few good DBs in his time and pray he's practiced better than he's played.... ( let's hope ) Westbrook is the guy that I'm still wondering why they keep him around... he's not the athlete his brother is.

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Cork, I remember you way back (10+ years ago) on the AOL message boards.

What's in a name? Are you in the wine business or just a fan of the vino? Any favorites?

I'm down to my last bottle of '99 cab in my collection....it will be a sad day.

Posted by: isnadd | August 31, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

This team is a joke.

Keeping all 10 draft picks, cutting Mason, et al. was despicable. Does the front office really not think that we can see why they kept 10 lame draft picks on a 53 man roster?

OVER 20% OF THE TEAM IS FROM THIS YEAR'S WEAK DRAFT!!!

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | August 31, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe some of WaPo's reporters are still flogging the punter issue. The only category Frost ourperformed Brooks in was gross yards per punt. Brooks won the net yard average per punt and punts pinned inside the 20 yard line (5 to 4). Add the fact that Brooks is likely to get better, while Frost is probably at his peak right now.

I don't like the way Vinny handles a lot of personnel decisions, but this one is not as controversial as you guys are making it out to be.

Now, let's talk about Justin Tryon.....

Posted by: Alan | August 31, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh...here we go again with JLAC's anonymous sources. Again, only time will tell with these draft picks. If you have half of them contributing in the first year, you're doing ok. Looks like Fred Davis, Kareem Moore, Chad Reinhart, Devin Thomas and Chris Horton will.

Let me ask a legitimate question...

Are the Redskins really that bad? The answer is we really don't know. No one knows anything right now.

Posted by: sicwidit | August 31, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Those of you hating on Tryon really ought to click through to the link that jm220 posted:

Rich Tandler gives the case for Tryon and for keeping all of the draft picks. I don't think he'll win over "Spouts-Guru" type haters, but people with an open mind might see a different viewpoint than the tired old Jasno/Wise line. Here's what he wrote about the Mike Wise attack on Tryon:

"The last throwaway line about Tryon is another gem. I think that the Redskins got exactly what the expected out of him when they drafted him. They knew he had good speed and suspect coverage skills. You can teach the coverage skills, you can't teach the speed. Keep him on the team as your fifth corner, work to hone his coverage skills, and see what you have in 2009.

"The Redskins have been criticized over the years, and justifiably so, for slapping together a team for the here and now rather than building for the future. So this year, in late April, they identified 10 football players who they thought would help them win games in the future. Not necessarily in 2008, but in 2009 and beyond."

Posted by: talent evaluator | August 31, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember another 5’7” corner who kept getting beat in his first pre-season and about half way into the regular season? It seems he did OK. Hint: He wore number 28. Hopefully the potential of this guy will be realized. CBs take a while to develop.

Posted by: BD | August 31, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Number 28 was an exception to every rule, a physical freak. A player who started for 20 years and had ridiculous speed.

That being said, I get your gist--we should give the kid a chance, but comparisons to number 28 seem a bit unrealistic. There will never be another like 28, he was a mold-breaker.

Posted by: Alan | August 31, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

All of you that are pissed about keeping all 10 draft picks are the same people that gripe about being big spenders in Free Agency. None of us know what these 10 will do in the coming years, but I like it.
FYI - Reed Doughty Rd 6
HB Blades Rd 6
Lorenzo Alexander - Undrafted FA
Cedric Golston - Rd 6
Heyer - Undrafted FA
Montgomery - Rd 5
Suisham - FA
Torrence - FA
Wilson - FA

So have any of these guys played significant roles in the past 2 years? Almost 40% of our Roster were draft picks or UDFA selections. Not too bad when you look at the big picture. So let the jury deliberate on these 10 in a couple of years. Sometimes, we just need to have a little perspective.

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I guess for purposes here, I very well should've included Landry & Rocky & in that discussion as well since they were drafted in the past two years. "Soups" also but he'll be in his 4th year.

Posted by: CLEGG | August 31, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

J-La used the term "mitigating factor" completely incorrectly. Don't try to use words you don't understand to sound smart.

Posted by: Smith | August 31, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

it's like a d@mn broken record. "sources" again tell how the front office is screwing everybody. Napelon at his finest!!!!!

Posted by: I'm still really short | August 31, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, that's not a gratuitous shot by Jasno, is it?

It's probably a quote from Frost before he left.

Posted by: Please. | August 31, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, that's not a gratuitous shot by Jasno, is it?

It's probably a quote from Frost before he left.

Posted by: Please. | August 31, 2008 5:06 PM

You ever noticed that when Jason has a negative to post it's "a veteran...a source...someone with knowledge..."

That guy is reali piece of work.

Posted by: Skip in VA | August 31, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Im telling you jason is pissed because he doesn't get scoops and is taking it out on the FO. His sources are garbage and his work shows it.

Posted by: Andy from Baltimore | August 31, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Keeping 10 draft picks isn't bad, unless, like in the Skins case, they aren't that good. Tryon proves that Frost was right -- these 10 rookies were given their roster spots, they didn't earn them.

That's the danger in having an incompetent GM like Vinny. He thinks he's somehow vindicated by these guys making the squad. A real GM would know he's only vindicated if they win games.

Vinny is too stupid to ever figure that out.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 31, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

JLC is as devisive as they come. He's like the old lady in the neighborhood spreading rumors and gossip about everyone. Seriously get rid of this guy please.

Posted by: Alex | August 31, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

10 DRAFT PICKS / 53 MAN ACTIVE ROSTER = .188

.188 x 100 = 19 (Rounded to 19 to acieve percentage)

19% of the active roster is this year's draft, AND OUR DRAFT SUCKED!

THAT IS INSANE!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | August 31, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Ok

So we kept all of our draft picks

kept brooks over frost who is a known commodity and a known choker big Fing deal

kept malcolm kelly over billy mcmullen who sucked in phila, SD, and Minne. Big Fing deal.

kept justin tyron who did suck in preseason over matteral richardson who is on our practice squad big Fing Deal

everyone else from the draft deserved to make the team so can jason PLEASE shut up about all 10 players making the team!!!! God i am sick of his slanted tripe that he churns out every week.

Posted by: Andy from Baltimore | August 31, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Come on now JLC, can't we post positive stuff for the fans instead of this tripe? At least at the beginning of the year?

Posted by: Chris C. | September 1, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

ceratto sucks. He should have been fired years ago. We will never go far with Gollum at the healm making these decisions.

Posted by: zap | September 1, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Just an observation top all the "give them the benefit of the doubt" guys. If you have to try to compare somebody to the one guy in a 1000 that made it, you are in deep kimshe. That means that because Colt has terrible mechanics and footwork, and tries to thow into double coverage too often, it doesn't mean he can be the next Bret Favre, and because Tryon is short and can't cover that doesn't mean he is the next Darrel Green. Practice squads all over the league are littered with guys that are too small, too slow, too dumb, too hurt, etc etc etc. Put your money on the guys with size, speed, fundamentals, and leave the once in a lifetime monikers for the guys already in the HOF.

I have no problem taking a flyer on a Heisman contender and making him a project. Somebody has to be 3rd string and if your 3rd stringer is in there you are in trouble no matter what team you are, but we are limited at CB with guys that get hurt a lot and we can't afford to have a guy who can't cover me. We cut two CB's that were twice the player Tryon is. There were bigger, faster, better CB's out there each time we drafted until the pick AFTER we chose this guy. I really thought they were drafting him to return kicks. Sorry but he didn't deserve to make the team.

Posted by: DB | September 1, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

"J-La used the term 'mitigating factor' completely incorrectly. Don't try to use words you don't understand to sound smart."

LOL that jumped out at me too. He probably meant to write "contributing factor".

Posted by: mannomch | September 3, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse