Mark Brunell, Please Help Me

I need to make an appointment with No. 8, the QB. Mark has just won an award for fatherhood - I'll pass on the details from the press release down below - and with my head spinning and two little ones making me want to leap out of a window on occasion, well, I am sure Mark has some pointers I could use.

Anyway, congrats to the veteran lefty for being granted a 2007 Fatherhood Award from the National Fatherhood Initiative. Here is a sliver of the press release with a little more information. Not sure if I can actually break away from the homestead to attend the banquet honoring him, but I am sure there will be a lot of daddy-knowledge in that room that could help a poor schlub like me, still trying to fathom how we're going to juggle these two little ones.

Here's the release:

The National Fatherhood Initiative (NFI) has announced NBA star Allan Houston, Washington Redskins Quarterback Mark Brunell , Rabbi Shmuley Botreach , Dr. Walter Lomax , and Gunnery Sergeant Kevin Andrade as winners of the 2007 Fatherhood Awards, to be presented at the 10th Annual Fatherhood Awards Gala at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Washington, D.C. on Thursday, April 26, 2007 . ABC7/WJLA-TV news anchor Leon Harris will emcee.

Roland C. Warren, President of NFI , said, "This year's winners have demonstrated a devotion to fatherhood that is transforming the way our nation views the roles of fathers in children's lives."

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 19, 2007; 12:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gotta Run, But Here's a New Post
Next: LaVar's Latest

Comments

Wow a typo even in the heading. Burnell? lol.

from previous thread
OK take Jan Brady if you must. Just so long as it's not Marcia - we know she can't catch

Posted by: skinswest | April 19, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Diesel- SHEER GENIUS!!!!!!! I'm sure the danny shampooed with extra Knowledge Crystals and came up with that eons ago.

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Great for MB. How's Rocco?

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

How does Shawn Kemp not make this list?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Wait, is this correct? Did I place AND show?!?!?! BaZING!!

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Nate, that's sooooo wrong.

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Nevermind

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Keeping with the Brady Bunch theme, Isn't this the same award that Marcia nominated Mike for?

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

J-La, I'm sure you're doing better than you think, juggling the kids at home and the overgrown adolescents out at the Park.

Seriously, how does Gibbs go to work with people like Vinny? You'd think it would turn his stomach to be around such incompetence. *sigh*

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Asked to respond to the news, coach Joe Gibbs said, "well, Mark has a few kids up THERE and he's really been parenting his guts out. He's a super smart parent. He's also courageous to take part in so many father-son events".

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 19, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I free-based a 12-yr-old cat one time...but a puppy? I was never into it that much.

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

skinswest, Burnell is CLASSIC. This is right up there in the pantheon of J-La misspellings. Tripping on the last name of last year's starting QB, whose name J-La has probably typed about a million times... that is super-wonderful.

I feebly tried to zing another classic J-La flub, "Bill Polina," the other day in a post but actually misspelled my intentional misspelling. What I'm trying to say is, it's catching. God bless you, spell check.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

One trip out to the yard to play catch with him and Brunell's kids are never asking again.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Too bad brunell didnt win qb of the year honors. This should have been an award for the softest arm in the NFL. I Think Brunell is a stand up guy but its time to grade someone on football skills and not what kind of man they are.

Posted by: Paul | April 19, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 19, 2007 01:08 PM

Another Classic

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

Classic...

"But Daddy, I don't want to run ANOTHER hitch"......

"I don't want to line up as a running back and have you check off to me in the flat... AGAIN".

"Daddy, stop screaming GREEN 40 at me and please use another cadence every once in awhile".

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 19, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

OK- Am I way off on this? I just saw a blurb that Michael Vick is donating $10,000 to VA Tech families. While it is a beautiful gesture and his heart is in the right place, does anyone else think 10K from Mike Vick is a little on the cheap side? We're talking over 30 families and a recent alum who makes $94653532865238546 Brazillian. Who knows- this whole thing makes me very emotional.

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Just found out from the Redskins ticket office that my waitlist number is 66,054. This is 5 years in the making. I swear I e-mailed them 2 years ago and I was in the 44,000 range. Haha, what a joke this crap is.

Posted by: CC | April 19, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

you guys are always calling first. I know i lead the RI league for posting some great thought only to be totally rendered irrelevent by a new post. you just have to back if you care to see what i wrote.

dc it was to you.

Posted by: Old School | April 19, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Paul | April 19, 2007 01:15 PM

You're right because arm strength and poise in the pocket are much more important than being a good father and raising a generation of people that can lead this country

(This is my sarcastic face)

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | April 19, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Old School, as one of the slowest on the uptake, I think its premature for you to claim the lead in great thread thoughts at the end of the posts ... go back and check the archives. My best stuff ends up as after thought. I picked up the phone when George Costanza called the Jerk Store.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Paul | April 19, 2007 01:15 PM

WTF?????

Posted by: 4-12 | April 19, 2007 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I believe Paul is the new Jerk Store switchboard operator

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Old School, sween, I've been burned many a time by submitting what I think is a fine, meaingful, Important comment -- and I'm sensitive to this because I've set the bar so doggone low with my 'quantity over quality' approach -- only to refresh and find the telltale beep-beep of a new post. *sigh*

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

HA! Old School, I responded to your last one before you posted the Rodney Dangerfield one here!

Here's the general idea ... which is money. Pick guys in the late rounds who are ATHLETES first, and nominally the position they play. Odds are the action they are going see is special teams anyway. THEN, consider having them play another position a la Randel El, Mike Furrey.

MrSpartan, tell me about this Matt Trannon character ... is he an athelete and how would he do at tight end?

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I think Paul is actually Tom Brady who is upset that he was not nominated as best "baby daddy"

Posted by: Cheyenne, WY | April 19, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

new post...just kidding!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I kind of dig where Paul was coming from. It's super-wonderful to laud the man for his personal life stuff, but if you are, say, his football coach, it's also super-smart to treat the man appropriately when it comes to the football stuff.

But this is Water Under the Bridge, Paul. Gibbs benched Burnell and finally opened up that can of Soup he had up in the pantry. Onward and upward!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

D7,

I hear ya... and I honestly thought the same thing when I heard about Vick's donation.

But the reality of the situation is that if Vick had stayed out of the news and given them zippy, I wouldn't have thought a thing about it. But now that he's "ONLY" given them 10 g's, he becomes sir cheapo in everybody's eyes, including mine.

I guess it sucks for him because a) he didn't have to do anything in the first place and b) he could have stayed out of the "cheap discussions" by doing just that, nothing.

But I still don't feel bad for him because I'd still rather deal with flack like that then worry about making my mortgage payment and dealing with Milton who sits in the cube across for me.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 19, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

OK, but...I.c..set the building on fire...

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"new post...just kidding!

Posted by: | April 19, 2007 01:27 PM"

I always fall for this one. But for the 'just kidding', I would have refreshed. In those days of Cyn Cyty bloggysitting, someone would type 'new post' and I'd always check. Never occured to me that it might be a request rather than a declaration of fact.

Does anyone know whether there are any Bernie Kosars out there? Juniors who didn't declare on time but might be available in the supplemental draft? I know there was that guy from UVa who got canned by Al Groh and made someone happy (was that Claude Wroton?). I'm wondering about a DE or DT. Also, is Canadian football done yet? Maybe there might be a sack and/or tackle leader on the line up there ...

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

RB- Does he have a Swingline Stapler? Go on, take it. I dare you.

Posted by: 4-12 | April 19, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"Yes, um, but last time I did not receive a piece of cake...... the ratio of people to cake, er, is not good. That's it, I set the building on fire"

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 19, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Very true, RB.

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

4-12,

HA

Nope, but I do... and I guard it with my life.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 19, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Even in light of their egregious omission of the prodigious Shawn Kemp, I would say that the NFI people picked the right emcee, because Leon Harris is the mack daddy.

(Mind you, he's no Jim Vance. Jim Vance is the Sean Taylor of DC anchors. But Harris is right there in the mix.)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm...this Mi Tai tastes funny...

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the Reaper will ever win a fatherhood award?

Posted by: Chris | April 19, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Just want to say, thank goodness there wasn't a questionnaire including the pot question during my interview process.

The conundrum would be answering honestly and hoping to score points for that honesty versus answering dishonestly and hoping there ain't a surprise pee test.

Don't get me wrong, I am almost always sober when I drive the forklift.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

dc/nate

I will rephrase to "amoung the RI league leaders in, sorry this post is over posts.

dc, as usual your on the money.

Posted by: Old School | April 19, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Nate, agreed ... I've always been surprised that NBC4 in DC can keep Jim Vance away from the national news outlets. I'm from Cleveland (have I said that before?) and I was stunned when that FA (and that isn't free agent) Al Roker made the jump to GMA (where his A has grown more F and his yucks have grown cornier). With so many years of Brokaw, Rather, Jennings (last one my fave, esp. since 9/11), the anchor chair on the national news shows seems to have been a hot seat. I could see Jim Vance pulling up that chair and viewers putting down their remotes. The guy is solid ... you said it well, the Sean Taylor of news anchors.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

That's FORMER NBA allstar Allan Houston

Posted by: ExtremeSkins | April 19, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Three top draft prospects reportedly admitted to past marijuana use in interviews taped by the league at the NFL scouting combine in February and distributed to each of the 32 teams.

Pro Football Weekly reported that Georgia Tech wide receiver Calvin Johnson, Clemson defensive end Gaines Adams and Louisville defensive tackle Amobi Okoye made the admissions during the standard interviews.

Posted by: JonTPK126 | April 19, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Sween- you not a fan of Brian Wms?

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Just blaze! Even more reason to go for Landry. At least he was smart enough to deny burning one down!

Posted by: JonTPK126 | April 19, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Those fatherhood awards are discriminatory. (I wonder if they are having tossed salads at the banquet.)

Posted by: Daveb55 | April 19, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Same 8 guys on here every day. Seriously, due you have jobs? If so what, because I need to get with that!

Posted by: JonTPK126 | April 19, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I think the next 2 years' drafts- assuming Vinny-Satan hasn't already consumed them in exchange for Jeremiah Trotter- need to start focusing heavily on O-line. I can see that starting to be a concern in the next few seasons. Heaven forbid we actually plan ahead a little.

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I think it's the same 20 "guys" here every day. We other 12 just don't post every day!

Posted by: charlie | April 19, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

If we hit some kindo f WaPo posting milestone, I think the paper should sponsor some kind of congratulatory/marketing beerfest (ehh, hem..Cindy).

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

JonTPK126,

Nope, no job. :-)

Posted by: P Diddy | April 19, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure we could put the paper out of business if they sponsored a beerfest for us. Particularly if said beerfest were somewhere around week 8 as the 'Skins squat on a 2-6 record.

Posted by: P Diddy | April 19, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I work at Inatech with my pig of a boss Bill Lumberg.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 19, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I saw Brunell in the Caribbean last week with his family. On this particular island he was at the "best resort for familes" as opposed to the "most exclusive" resort. Each day he played in the pool for hours with his kids. He did not hide in a private cabana and he ate with the rest of the masses at the casual joint each night.

He's a good man and did enough to give us a road playoff win in Jan 06. That's one more than Dallas has in the last decade or so.

Yes, Denver fans can save it. I lived there for 10 years and they are as delusional as we can be.

Am thinking Landry to enable all kinds of matchups and disguises, or Okoye to cause problems up the middle for offenses - both QB pressure and run defense. Gaines Adams is a RDE and we need more of a LDE thanks to Carter's late-season rise and his contract - but Jamaal Anderson has holes too. #6 is too high for a space-eater with light production (Branch).

Still - despite how the team treats it I love the draft and can't wait for the show.

Posted by: The 804 | April 19, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Networks want pretty, angelic faces for their evening newscasts. Jim Vance is too old and wrinkled for the network evening news.

Besides, the network evening news is a relic of a bygone era. Vance should just get a video camera and Webcast the news. Heck, all those old-timers who were forced out by their respective print and television outlets should band together and create a great news organization dedicated to, you know, reporting the news. The MSM(tm) spends far too much time on tabloid affairs, and not enough time on in depth analysis. These old-timers, who have nothing to lose and plenty of time, could provide a great perspective, particularly if freed from having to deal with their money-grubbing punk bosses. They have the skills and contacts, and therefore have a mighty big leg up on the Daily Kos's of the world...

Just a thought...maybe not a good one, but a thought nonetheless...

Posted by: P Diddy | April 19, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

If the father of the year award involves getting a plaque or statue, Sean Taylor will never win it because no one in their right mind would hand him a blunt object.

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

If I saw Brunell at a resort I would sucker punch him in the grundle.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

P.Diddy, make it so ... and I'd like to get in on the private offering.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Brian Williams free-bases puppies.

Posted by: Jim Vance | April 19, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Who's up for lunch at Chotsky's?

Posted by: Samir Nagheenanajar | April 19, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

On Talking Points, Cindy made a good joke about TK and MW being more like Gomer Pyle than Ernie Pyle and Wilbon comes back and says to Cindy that there's never a National Editor's day. So I say we should refer to Mike as Gomer from now on.

Posted by: charlie | April 19, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Brian Williams? Ehn. Katie Couric? Ehn.

Rock and/or rock is Jim Lehrer (which I think he pronounces "Lehreh") and/or Gwen Ifel and/or the guy who looks like a heavy set Scalia with a tight beard and/or the redhead (seems like a Margaret).

For news, I'd want more analysis, less spin, more graphics, and less overload on the death/destruction/"if it bleeds, it leads" focus.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Nag... naga... not gonna work here anymore... god I love that movie.

Samir actually had a rather interesting part in another classic, Bad(der) Santa. Hilarious movie.

Posted by: Ricky Bobby | April 19, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Damn it feels good to be a gangster

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I want more Robin Meade and less news.

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Peter. Watch out for the cornhole.

Posted by: Lawrence | April 19, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Damn it feels good to be a gangster

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 02:30 PM

Best rap song ever.

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Not that Michael Bolton

Posted by: Michael Bolton | April 19, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The typo in the headline and no corection yet just proves Jason nor anyone else at the post looks at these blogs. In journalism to get someone's name misspelled is a cardinal sin, for it to be the subject of your article is even that much worse, for it to be in the headline is pitiful. I have my share of typos but please...This is pathetic.

Posted by: MrSpartan | April 19, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Mich State - JLa was in a hurry...he's taking his son to the doctor's. Give me a little slack.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Why isn't Tom Brady father of the year? He seems to be the father of everything else.

Any of you catch the WaPo online chat with NFL scout Tony Pauline? Not earth-shattering, but some decent stuff in there.

Posted by: SMACK | April 19, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna show MrSpartan my O-face.

Posted by: Drew | April 19, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking I might take that new chick from Logistics. If things go well I might be showing her my O-face. "Oh... Oh... Oh!" You know what I'm talkin' about. "Oh!"

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Only if you fill out the IPS form!!

Posted by: MrSpartan | April 19, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

sorry ...TPS Report. I was playing the "Jump to Conclusion" game.

Posted by: MrSpartan | April 19, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
Bob Porter: Don't... don't care?
Peter Gibbons: It's a problem of motivation, all right? Now if I work my ass off and Initech ships a few extra units, I don't see another dime; so where's the motivation? And here's something else, Bob: I have eight different bosses right now.
Bob Slydell: I beg your pardon?
Peter Gibbons: Eight bosses.
Bob Slydell: Eight?
Peter Gibbons: Eight, Bob. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people coming by to tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled; that, and the fear of losing my job. But you know, Bob, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired

**************************

Might explain why most of us spend our time here on the blog

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Uh-oh. Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Samir Na-gheen-an-a-jar. Nagheenanajar.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.
Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.
Samir: Hmm... well why don't you just go by Mike instead of Michael?
Michael Bolton: No way. Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Checking back in and can't figure out what the heck you guys are tlaking about.

Vance is forever the man @ 10 & 11 pm.

I lost all respect for NBC (not MSNBC, though) and Brian Williams playing those tapes yesterday. Cho is just sh*tting all over everybody in their soon to be graves....

Anyone going to the draft party next Saturday????

Posted by: ES | April 19, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

"Looks like somebody's got a case of the mundays"

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | April 19, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Is anybody an espn "insider"? I tried to post a question on McShay's chat about Ravens drafting a QB and now it locks me out for not being an insider.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

dang etrod, you got me before refreshing!!!

Posted by: Inigo Montoya | April 19, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Also - I tried to start a conversation about this weed smoking thing a few days ago..

Just call me Trailblazers not from the PDX.

Posted by: ES | April 19, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I haven't read through all the posts on this yet, but it seems J-La has set us up nicely for many many jokes about Brunell throwing the football around with his son in their back yard
(i.e. He checks down to the dog 90% of the time; he has a 10 acre yard but has a rule that his son can only run 5 yard screen routes; he has completed a long pass to his son only once- but that was the day Roy 'Toasty' Williams was visiting; etc.)

Posted by: Diesel | April 19, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember when I won pimp of the year?

Posted by: Fly Guy | April 19, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the ticketing comments through the threads on the past 2 topics....I've been languishing in Chief Beltbuckle's limited view cave seats for 3 years and staring down the 4th this fall. Has anyone actually been liberated from this hell-hole of visiting team fandom into the nirvana of the lower bowl? If so, how much improvement? I'm afraid I'm stuck in Dannyland purgatory...not willing to go back to the UD, unable to get into the true LL as avaiable seats are classified as "premium". Any hope!?!?!

Posted by: bringbackpardee | April 19, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

PC-Load-Letter?!?!?!

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

My b***h better have my money/Through rain, sleet, or snow/My w**** better have my money/Not half, not some, but all my cash/'Cause if she don't,/I'm gonna put my foot in her a**.

Posted by: Fly Guy | April 19, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

(In keeping with today's spirit, I'm just contributing another entry to get to 50K.)

Posted by: charlie | April 19, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Jim Vance is the man indeed. I've lived in several major markets at this point and believe it or not DC local news is in top 3 if not the best local news in nation. Now that ain't saying much I know but try LA . . . ugh!

MrSpartan - having kinda a crankypants day seems like hope it gets better.

Posted by: sfskin | April 19, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

In light of the recent off-field incidents tarnishing the NFL and the (welcomed IMO) hard line taken by the Commissioner, it is great to see Washinton QB "Burnell" acknowledged in such a positive light. It speaks volumes for the NFL and Washington roster.

Beats the heck out of another NFL player making news for illegal use of firearms or strip club braws.

Congrats Daddy MB.

Posted by: Pasifikawv | April 19, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Another thought about the spinach guys (CJ, Adams, Okoye) ... Okoye scores green, but he can't buy a drink for another 2 years. With the money he's looking at, he'd be able to buy a place in McLean with a weekend home in Potomac. Is ANYBODY remembering about what its like to move away from your parents' place for the first time? If Okoye starts haning out with Smoot, I see St. Joe needing to pull a Dean Wurmer and put those guys on double secret probation.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I just realized I'm in DC next weekend at a wedding which means I won't be able to participate in the draft day insanity on the Insider.

I'm sad.

J-La hope Rocco is okey dokey.

Posted by: sfskin | April 19, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Ask Keith Richards about free basing puppies . . . I'm sure he's got some good tips.

Posted by: sfskin | April 19, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

When does the draft start? I'm worried that I may be a wee bit hungover and miss the kvetching on the blog...

Posted by: P Diddy | April 19, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

sfskin - It's not to late to buy a PDA.

I can see St. Joe now.

I have a copy of each of your sack numbers.
Mr. Carter 1.0; Mr. Griffin 0.5; Mr. Golston 1.5; Mr. Okoye...Zero Point Zero

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Milton Waddams: [talking on the phone] And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

Nina: Now Milton, don't be greedy, let's pass it along and make sure everyone gets a piece.
Milton Waddams: Yeah, but last time I didn't receive a piece. And I was told...
Nina: Just pass.
[while the cake passes Milton mutters - eventually everybody but Milton gets a piece]
Milton Waddams: [muttering] I could set the building on fire.

Nina: Now, Milton. Don't be greedy. Pass the cake along so everyone gets a piece.
Milton Waddams: Last time, I did not recieve a piece, and I was told that I...
Nina: Just pass.
Milton Waddams: Oh. Okay.

I ain't no coochie eatin' prankster.

Posted by: Larry Bud | April 19, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

sfskin, I have a wedding too (and its at Wolftrap, I've never been), but except for the possibility of a blip in excitement (about trading down possibilities) btwn 1:15-1:30, nothing happens on Saturday but drooling about other teams' picks. Sunday will be a more important day to be by a computer, just to find out about who the guys are that the Skins picked.

I know that late April seems like a safe date to get married weather-wise (regardless of what brings May flowers), but it has been butt cold and windy here recently. ... and its going to be a cold day in April before the Skins choose wisely on draft day ...

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

dc

The problem with troy smith is that he wants to play QB and (thinks he can).

The video clip of holdman yesterday, that was classic.

let me enlighten you guys on the "technique" that old holdman was demonstrating.. see he was taught by one of the masters, the great Dale Lindsey who in drills repeatedly told Holdman to get his "pad level down" and "low man always wins" as the video clearly shows he mastered said "low Man" position.

Posted by: Old School | April 19, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

If he smoked, best believe he already had a sippy sip of something or another. Its college, who gives a f*ck.

NFL really does mean the No Fun League........

If I am 21 or older, I should be able to go to Strip Clubs and 'Make it Rain' on whoever I please w/o being bothered by people who wanna start sh*t, just like Brunell wasn't bothered on his vacation........

Posted by: ES | April 19, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

anyone know where i could score a quick hummer?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

new post.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

gotcha.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

ES, we have broccoli cheddar, mulagatawny, italian wedding, chicken noodle, minestrone ... you like the 'Make it Rain'? That's nice. NO SIGNING BONUS FOR YOU!

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Awww- they fixed Burnell's name. I thought it fit nicely with today's green topic.

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

the Headline is corrected now. I feel cleaner now. AAhh. Now about that Hummer?

Posted by: MrSpartan | April 19, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

buttlickin

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

the banter between the regular posters on this "comment" secion make reading anything other than Jason's post completely unbearable. Why don't you get another forum for your silly comments and leave this for discussion related to FOOTBALL?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like SOMEBODY's got a case of the THURSDAYS.

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Why don't you go pee up a FLAGPOLE?

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I was saying if I was a NFL player. The only way I can make it rain is like Al Bundy. Put the dollar in the drawls, then as she walks away reel in the dollar back with a fishing line!

Come on. These GMs know once they get their signing bonuses, the 1st thing they gotta buy is 5 cars with 30 inch rims, new tats, Moms a house, break they childhood peeps off, and of course go to the nearest strip club and make it rain. Not always in that order.....

Posted by: ES | April 19, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

beep beep! assclown alert! beep beep!

Anybody see the Mike Judge movie "Idiocracy" that quietly slipped straight to video recently? A humorous look at a future dystopia where the dumb have inherited the earth. Not as bad as I'd feared. The actor who played Michael Bolton shows up with another fantastic haircut.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Good point, Mom. Who do you like as a pick for the return game? Yamon Figurs (Kansas State), the guy with the buzz b/c he beat Devin Hester in track? or Geoff (?) Pope, local CB from Howard?

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

The saga behind studio execs trying to kill "Idiocracy" is in and of itself a classic example of the dumb inhereiting the Earth...Google it, it's out there on the Internets.

Posted by: P Diddy | April 19, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Idiocracy was simply the worst movie I have seen since I queasly put myself through Yahoo Serious' Young Einstein. Terrible, awful, lame, not funny movie.

Posted by: MrSpartan | April 19, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Pick for the return game?

What is wrong with our return game? I am more than happy with Randel El and Cartright.

Posted by: gethanr13 | April 19, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who finds Maya Rudolph smokin' hot?

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

etrod - yes, you are. but i shouldn't speak for everybody, but I deffinately don't agree with you on that one

Posted by: gethanr13 | April 19, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Just figured out the Dolphins have 10 picks, so I change my whacky Scenario E from unpossible to possible. Here's the scenario: Redskins trade #6 (and out of the first round entirely) to the Dolphins for their second round picks (the #8 and #28 in the second round) and third round pick (the #8 in that round). The trade value (according to the Jimmy Johnson chart -- which I discount based purely on his hair) favors the Dolphins by about 240 points. DO YOU DO IT? One chance for a first round boom/bust for three chances for second/third round booms/busts? The Skins are on the board. You have 15 minutes.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

etrod- no, absolutely not. I've agreed with that statement for a long time. She is a super-fox.

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

On the making it rain in the strip club issue, I have a serious inquiry -- in Canada they don't have $1 bills, they only have dollar coins ('loonies').

So how do you tip a stripper with a dollar coin? Do they carry little change purses instead of garters? That just seems to clumsy.

This has vexed me for some time, but in all my travels up there I have not visited the 'Canadian ballet' and been able to find out firsthand.

(This is a serious inquiry! I'm not looking for the obvious off-colour jokes on this. I'm genuinely interested, as I want to be prepared should the opportunity ever arise.)

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Do it. Do it now! I'm here!! Come on, do it!!

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Keys to success in 2007---Better Run Defense, Healthy Portis, Fewer Penalties. I would like to see a better pass defense but believe a better run defense will help to change that dynamic and we will see fewer double moves. The passing game will improve because we now have two legitimate threats in the backfield to run the ball on any down forcing more linebackers and safties to stay home. DRAFT FOR THE RUN DEFENSE SKINS!!!!

Posted by: MrSpartan | April 19, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

I don't know, but I'm picturing those little change belts like the ice cream man wears.

Thank you D7. I've been ripped by my friends forever because of my odd attraction to her. I'm glad I have a kindred spirit.

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Nate- I'm sure they do it the same way Scores and other "high-end" clubs do it here in the states. You exchange your real money for "Scores (etc.) Dollars". Use a ridiculous depreciation factor for the exchange rate, naturally.

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't like it, if we trade we still need to get a pick in the first round.

Posted by: gethanr13 | April 19, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I am only experinced with Strip Clubs in the DC area, and $1 bills are a MUST!

I assume they use American Currency or 'Strip Club' Money that you can cash in and strippers cash out?

Posted by: ES | April 19, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

etrod- no prob. Of course, I'm also mildly attracted to the Bear in the Labatts Blue commercials, but that's more of a personality thing.

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

gethanr13, I was happy with Santana Moss and Betts as our return guys, but with Brandon Lloyd on the roster, Randel El's value as a receiver increases to a point where he should not be put in harm's way there. His return game slipped last year (esp. by starting the return running backward and not making up for it). I like Cartwright on KR tho.

etrod, Maya Rudolph is indeed hot. She was buddies growing up with some other hottie. Loved Maya Rudolph's response to Tracy Morgan to end the clip in "Astronaut Jones." On that, new 30 Rock tonight.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

No way is Maya Rudolph hot. You guys are definitely on the "green" stuff...

Posted by: Skinz | April 19, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Sween- I agree on the return front. While I think ARE still has some excellent skills, BLloyds inability to find aloft footballs definitely increases ARE's value as a receiver.

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Sween;

I have said this before... I would not drop out of the first round.

We could

A) Swap first rounders, and get their late 2nd & early 3rd

B) Swap first rounders, and get their early 2nd rounder.

I like Option A now, but based upon June 1st cuts, maybe only two first day picks is all we would need. Of Course June #1 comes WAY after the draft, so only time will tell.

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Nate- Based on info from my, ahem, "friend" who went to Toronto, they have no problem accepting President Washington in the ol' garter.

Posted by: 4-12 | April 19, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

MrSpartan, which two are you thinking as the legitimate threats? Portis/Betts? Portis/Sellers? Betts/Sellers? or any of the three/Campbell? YEEEEESS! I love rhetorical questions!

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I always found Maya as attractive as Rachel Dratch. There is something to be said for a freckled non-white...ie Dennis Johnson of Celtics

Posted by: MrSpartan | April 19, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Can't we make a full-time returner of ARE once we trade up and grab the wide out from Georgia Tech?

We'll probably only need one receiver on the roster if it's him, from the way everyone's been singing his praises.

Can anyone be that good?

Posted by: Ramblin' Reck | April 19, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Dcsween;

I like trading back, but not moving out of the first round. L2 and the Reaper in the secondary is a very intriguing thought...like Chuck Norris and Mr. T in the same movie. Awesome.

Maya is definately and aquired taste, but Dennis Johnson??? Come on!

Posted by: etrod | April 19, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Ok, just looked up MAya Rudolf. SNL girl. She's aiight. She has 'body' shape witch is #2 on my list of must haves if I was single. I wouldn't say 'hot' though.....

Posted by: ES | April 19, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Out like da gout.

Posted by: D7 | April 19, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Ramblin' Reck - No need to draft CJ. He'll be a Redskin when he's 33 years old coming off of knee surgery.

Posted by: CC | April 19, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

CC,

Think we can get Arrington back, too, when he heals next year or the year after?

Posted by: Ramblin' Reck | April 19, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

etrod - excellent comparison!

Ramblin' - I think you have a point. Everybody talks about how risky is it to take a WR in the 1st round, but they don't every mention it with him. He has never played against NFL caliber CB's or defenses at all, there is no such thing as a "can't miss" in the draft.

Posted by: gethanr13 | April 19, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the belated arrival...Thanks for watching the webcast, Charlie. As long as there's one viewer, we'll continue to do it.
Little Rocco is fine. He just has a persistent rash.

Posted by: Cindy | April 19, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Some Skins-related questions from the chat today...

Washington, D.C.: Purely from quality of draft perspective, which team does the best job with the draft? Where do the Redskins rank? Top half or bottom half?

And are you ever in contact with Vinny Cerrato and is he respected around the league?

Tony Pauline: wow...walking on egg shells with that one...

The Pats and Eagles are at the top...the Cards and Texans are near the bottom...

as far as Cerrato, let me put it this way- the entire braintrust of the Skins organziation (Gibbs and coaches notwithstanding) are not looked upon fondly in league circles...

_______________________

Washington, D.C.: If Gaines Adams falls to No. 6, would the Redskins take him? Please tell us it is so...!!!

Tony Pauline: They would take Adams rather quickly...
_______________________

Silver Spring, Md.: Mel Kiper seems to think the Redskins will pick Laron Landry (safety from Texas) at number 6. What do you think about that prediction?

I hope he can line up at DE too!

Tony Pauline: Landry to the Skins @6 makes little sense to me.

Posted by: SMACK | April 19, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm good with my Scenario E (one first rounder for three second/third rounders).

The Skins' roster of guys picked in the second round looks OK: Betts, Griffin, Jansen, Portis, Randel El, Smoot, Thomas, and Washington. The guys picked in the third round are OK too: Cooley and Rabach.

Shout out your love for some of the famous Skins' first rounders: Gardner, Rod; Patrick Ramsey.

I'm not saying that Sean Taylor and Chris Samuels (Springs also picked in the first round) aren't solid guys, but there are plenty of busts in the first round too. [Tis the season to feel the fiber in the fabric in Campbell and Rogers.] I'm just saying that 3 apparent solids are worth more than 1 apparent super solid. [I also will concede you Taylor Jacobs, but that's it.]

Note: London Fletcher went undrafted. Mike Sellers and James Thrash also went undrafted.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear that it's just a rash. Blog-wide sign of relief.

The only prescription for that is more cowbell.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

With the guys on the roster who were originally picked in the second and third rounds, is anyone surprised that St. Joe might want to pick there?

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

sween, doesn't that mean we should retroactively forfeit picks for those guys who originally went undrafted? I'm trying to think like Vinny on this one.

All of our day two picks this year should suffice for London School of Economics, Mike Selluhs (Sonny's pronunciation) and Thrasher. Let's get Goodell on the horn and make it so.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Why are the Eagles always mentioned as great at drafting? 3 recent 1st rounders come to mind as busts. Freddie Mitchell, Jerome McDougle, and the dude they drated last year - Brodrick Bunkley didn't even get on the field.

They must have not been paying attention to Vinny C being on record with not believing in taking DL in the first round. Makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Posted by: cdubb | April 19, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I second charlie on the Talking Points thing.

It is awesome to see you (Cindy) mixing it up with the boys, especially since I almost never see PTI these days. And I have not gotten in the habit of listening to TK every day, though I catch it sometimes. The Talking Points video is a few minutes of heaven.

By the way, what's the deal on the new teevee show that J-La appears on? I haven't seen a bit of it, but a few people have mentioned it up here and made favorable comments.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Sween--I'm with you on second rounders, but let's not forget Taylor Jacobs or Rocky MacIntosh (who may yet make a few plays but not enough for TWO second rounders).

My favorite first rounders? Michael Westbrook, Heath Schuler. Damn I've got a long memory.

Posted by: KK | April 19, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

And Cindy, you really did get a zinger in there with the Gomer Pyle line. I love it, love it when these conversations elicit real laughs from TK.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I know we talked about the 80's music already, and if anyone here is a gamer, check out the GTA Vice City sound track. Awesome music!

Also if you are a gamer, or even if you are not, check the new GTA installment coming out 10-17-07. Pretty impressive graphics. The character face grapihcs still lack, but notice the ari conditions units on the brownstones.....

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 19, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

The WaPo chat guy, Tony Pauline, sounded like an echo chamber -- just repeating what everyone else in Big Media says. The only interesting bit was about the players from this draft he thinks people talk about in 10 years. He's all over the board on Gaines Adams (search on page for Adams).

He barfs out an answer to a question that is how Scenario E plays out in response to a question about Quinn and Miami ... but it only happens if, for some reason (i.e., like they can actually get CJ to sign a contract), the Raiders don't pick Russell, who then slips to the Browns. If Raiders take CJ, then Cleveland takes Russell, and Miami wants pick #6 to get Quinn before the Vikings get him at #7.

In that case, the Skins find themselves in the fabled catbird seat ... and have to decide whether they want Scenario E (Miami's second rounders and their third) or Miami's first rounder (#9) and their third.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Big value in the second round (Abiamiri), presented by Tony Pauline:

Washington, D.C.: I'm curious about two local guys -- DE Victor Abiamiri and FB Stan White, Jr., who both went to Baltimore's Gilman School. Abiamiri especially -- he came into college with such accolades, even started his senior year strong, but now appears sliding toward the second day of the draft. Thoughts?

Tony Pauline: Abiamiri comes off a poor senior season but is still a solid prospect and will be off the board somewhere in round two. Some teams like him as a 4-3 end while teams like the Jets are looking at him as a 3-4 rush linebacker. White has picked up a little steam recently...solid lead blocker who is likely to be a priority free agent.

Question: If Jamaal Anderson would have elected to play his senior season, would he have "come off a poor senior season"? [See also, Quinn Pitcock]

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Al Davis is a cheap senile, old dork (he hired Norv Turner) and could choose the wrong guy just to save a few bucks like Houston did last year. Gaines Adams? Isn't Oakland likely to make up its mind and start negotiating a contract by, say, Wednesday of next week?

Posted by: KK | April 19, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Weird Al's offense is difficult to defend. its equal opportunity with all skill players involved , is run based first (Gibbs) but is down field point scoring machine when its on.

trigger man is the key, must be willing to take chances and have good pocket mobility to buy a little extra time for all the options (except for the roll left throw it out of bounds one).

Posted by: Old School | April 19, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

DC - I'd vote #9 and their 3rd. Could still get a top DL there. Okoye, Anderson, Branch, or even LL depending what happens between 7, 8, and 9.

Posted by: skinswest | April 19, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Question.

What team let this info out about the Pot Heads so they can have a chance to draft them?

Clue - There is a certain team that would like to draft any of these players but are not optimistic that 2 or even all of them will be there at #6, opps, I mean at their spot......

Posted by: ES | April 19, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Maya Rudolph has a nice body but that same persistent rash on her face as baby Rocco's bum

Posted by: JonTPK126 | April 19, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

The WaPo show is a live thing every night on Comcast...It's simultaneously streamed on our website, so you can check it out there, Nate. Thanks for the kind words! I do luv zinging the boyz.

Posted by: Cindy | April 19, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

flonase fluticasone propionate

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Reading back, I concur about "Idiocracy," Nate. I find that I keep thinking about it and quoting it. Which, of course, no one gets.

Posted by: Cindy | April 19, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

cdubb

eagles got mcnabb right and almost everyone else on their roster is home drafted. they have three top of the league playmakers (mcnabb, westbrook, dawkins) and lots of good players and a real idenity estabished by andy reid.

basically thats +/- what it takes to be a year in year out contender ( which is where ultimately everyone on here wants the skins to be, except smack) Repeat QB/coach, a few other real playmakers on D and O (again not 50, like 2 0r 3) then a roster filled with good and pretty good role/ team/starters

Posted by: Old School | April 19, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

......Maya Rudolph........

i'd bang her but she is about a 5. way hotter hookers out there.

Posted by: c-lo | April 19, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

With an arm like that, I'm surprised he didn't get mother of the year.

Hail!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | April 19, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I prefer Tina Fey over Maya Rudolph...or Maya on top...either way is fine by me

Posted by: JonTPK126 | April 19, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind the Skins being a contender. That's the only way our rivalry will heat up again. I just don't want the Skins being THE contender.

Posted by: SMACK | April 19, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

What's scary is...it only takes one play and Burnell is back under center. ugh. How's Bramlet progressing?

Posted by: Skinz | April 19, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I was on a roll but had a brief work interuption.

Then every three years or so the whole thing except coach and QB, just about turnsover, you need to keep moving on and replacing in our case (by any means neccessary) all the good/to slighty good players on your roster, leaving a "Core" of maybe 3?5? guys who stay with your team longer than 5/6/7 yrs?

Root for the uniforms, not for the players. I realized that back 1993 its a new era and almost zero of our "heros" will play here a long time.

Posted by: Old School | April 19, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy | April 19, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I mentioned this many moon posts ago but will bring it up again. New HC at Oakland is a QB guy. Would it make more sense for him to get Russell whom he can mold into the player he wants or Culpepper who is a "proven" quantity?

Wouldn't surpise me to see Al Davis get Culpepper and then draft Smith out of Ohio in 2,3 round as "the future of the franchise" that nobody else in the league backs. . . . but Davis thinks he's gotten for a dream.

Posted by: sfskin | April 19, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

smack

on the money, the NFL is better when both the boys and skins are good.

it was built in the 70's and early eigthties, lots of passion both sides, unfortunatley your rise from the ashes came when we were at the end of our run and about to fall into the pit of eternal fire that we have found ourselves in these last 15+ years.

Posted by: Old School | April 19, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

JLaC/Cindy - Has there been any word on how the rehab for Brunell's shoulder is coming along? I'm still surprised that Brees and Pennington were able to rebound from rotator cuff surgery so well. You'd think that kind of injury would be a career ender for a QB.

Maya Rudolph - Most definetly attractive.

Posted by: skinswest | April 19, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

sfskin - From what I've heard Culpepper is still a long way from healthy - might not be ready for '07 season. I doubt any franchise - even Oakland would sign him thinking he'd be their guy this year.

Posted by: skinswest | April 19, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Okay non football sports question(s)

- How can there be more than 3 Eastern Conference teams in the NBA playoffs, compared to WC they suck!
- Also how are playoffs that allo more than half the conference in really playoffs?
- Does anyone care about hockey?

Posted by: sfskin | April 19, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

skinswest - that's what I've heard too but we are talking about Al Davis afterall.

Posted by: sfskin | April 19, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Canadian Strip Club Knowledge:

After a show in Kelowna (western canadia, absolutely beautiful place), some audience members 'insisted' that I accompany them to the Cheetah Club. It was strong to quite strong.

There was only one giant stage where the 'performers' would 'perform' and by 'perform', I mean strip naked and dance around and do acrobatics on the poles and whatnots. You can't pelt the ladies with coins. I asked. You either suck it up and fire a fiver up there or get aggro and throw around 10s and 20s. It's tough.

This is why I could never live in Canada or Europe, the change matters. Dollar and 2 dollar coins are impossible for me to deal with. Change is a waste to me and I hate dealing with it. It's different when you have 7 dollars in coins.

Out.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | April 19, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I feel your pain Old School. It's been 10 sorry years. Bad young QBs (Carter, Hutchinson, Henson et al). Bad old QBs (Testaverde, Bledsoe). Enough already. Who do I look like, Job?

Posted by: SMACK | April 19, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

smack

of all the talent that JJ assembled in those early years the key piece in my opinion and overlooked was the addition of Charles Hailey, the unblockable force off the edge made your other talent on that D much better and harder to deal with.

agree?

Posted by: Old School | April 19, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey is not only a fox, she is super-smart and super-funny AND to top it off, she's a UVa girl.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

sfskin - Never say never I guess. Maybe Al Davis likes CJ enough to take him even if it means another year of Andrew Walter at QB while Culpepper rehabs.

Posted by: skinswest | April 19, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Brilliant, AMTTS. That's why we send embedded reporters into the field, to get info like that.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | April 19, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

There is plenty of other serviceable talent available to play QB, assuming they make a move for some O-line. The reason everyone talks about Culpepper is b/c of the connection btwn he and Moss in Minny. With Oakland's line, however, Culpepper is a dangerous choice (from Culpepper's perspective!). If Oakland were smart, they would pick CJ then trade to Tampa for all their picks, which includes #4 and pick Quinn and an offensive line after that (which has the incidental effect of souring the Skins' chances to trade #6 to Miami).

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

She's attractive, but only a one night stand. Well maybe two if the next night she puts on a blond wig......

Posted by: ES | April 19, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Canadian Strip Club Knowledge:

Out.

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | April 19, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

sfskin- hockey? NBA? What is this strange language you're speaking today?

Posted by: 4-12 | April 19, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Old School, yup, I do agree with that. It takes wisdom to know when you actually are one player away. And Haley was that player. Even more amazing is he did a lot of that with severe back pain. To me he's up there with the best defensive players of my lifetime. I'm talking Singletary, Lott, Woodson, White...the Pantheon.

Posted by: SMACK | April 19, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

A little bit of talk about Bobby McCray last week ... 4 years out ... DE starter for the Jags ... 10 sacks last year.

Adam Schefter of nfl.com reports (and mispells) this:

Jacksonville Jaguars restricted free agents Ernest Wilford and quarterback Quinn Gray are expected to sign their one-year, $1.3 million contract tenders by April 20, according to their agent, Drew Rosenhaus. But Rosenhaus said that his other Jaguars client, restricted free-agent defensive end Bobby McCrary, who received a first-round tender of $1.85 million, will not sign his tender. McCrary still has other options he wants to explore.

Here is what the nfl.com draft site said about him earlier when he was a draft prospect... http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/bobby_mccray

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the duplicate postings. Canadian internets are suspect.

I've seen Tina Fey in person. I have to tell you, the scar she has on her cheek is 1.21 gigawatts times more noticeable up close. That said, she would be welcome in the AMTTS woodshed...

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | April 19, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey, Maya ... please these are mere pit stops on the way to the ultimate SNL chick to bag...A girl we use to call "Dents in her back" Lorraine Neumann...the thinnest girl in comedy.

Posted by: MrSpartan | April 19, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

DC - The connection between Culpepper and Moss makes sense - choosing to go with Culpepper instead of drafting a QB now doesn't. I don't agree with the idea of Oakland fleecing TB for their picks. They desperately need a QB. They should take Russell and then draft OL OL OL afterwards. Believe it or not Oakland is too far away - Their D is already good - they just need a QB and lots of OL.

Posted by: skinswest | April 19, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't get the big deal. I would not want anyone to play for me that was not willing to admit they smoked pot. 1/6th of the country is willing to admit they smoked pot including 50-60% of highschool grads over the past 10-20 years. Odds are most NFL players have used pot, and maybe its time the NFL and the rest of the nation reviewd our moronic policys

Posted by: 35332 | April 19, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

MrSpartan - You must have spelled her name wrong. All I found in my Inet searc was an OBGYN......

Posted by: ES | April 19, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

skinswest, I think you meant to include a "not" in there ... and I completely agree. The Chiefs seems to be heading in the softerly direction. The Chargers (though still retaining an awesome roster) risk confusion with a complete flushing of the coaching staff. And Denver. Well, its a tough division, but still, Oakland has a tough D, esp. to do so well when they have be on the field for so much of the game.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

...or moronic policies that allow those with deep seated, and documented, psychological problems to buy semi-automatic guns and go on shooting rampages?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 19, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

skinswest, one caveat I forgot was to disagree about Oakland fleecing Tampa Bay. Screw Tampa Bay. Let them have CJ and the QB posse. They are more troubled at the D-line than the Skins are, and they ain't getting any younger with the depth that has to move up to start on the O-line.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

4-12 - you've answered my question. I asked because I saw these things in the news. : )

Posted by: sfskin | April 19, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps not surprisingly, the Jaguars think more highly of McCray's actual performance than nfl.com Player Prospects projected for him. http://www.jaguars.com/Team/Player.aspx?id=2534

I think Lorraine's last name is spelled Newman.

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I would argue that Tamp Bay is worst off then the Skins, but they don't get ridiculed because they won a SB since 2000....

Posted by: ES | April 19, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

dc - yeah I meant to put "not" in there. I mentioned not fleecing TB from my perceived Oakland perspective - they're not far off, they need a QB, and they can probably fill some of their OL needs in the later rounds. TB? Scrwe em if they want to blow most or all of their draft on one guy with all their needs.

Posted by: skinswest | April 19, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

skinswest, if Oakland swaps with TB, they CAN pick a franchise QB ... Brady Quinn (assume Russell goes to Cleveland, ... actually, maybe Detroit does want a QB ....). This is a crappy game! Go Skins!

Posted by: dcsween | April 19, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

dcsween - I almost wrote that earlier but they'd be risking Russell and Quinn going 2 and 3. Anyone who wanted a QB could see Oakland at 4 and try and jump ahead. Maybe Oakland takes CJ but doesn't trade him until they see if a Qb is availble at 4 ala San Diego and NYG a few years ago.

Posted by: skinswest | April 19, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

So these top prospects who admitted smoking pot did so (admitted) at the Combine 2 months ago and it doesn't come out until now? Why would any future prospect choose the "honesty is the best policy" if the teams are just going to leak it.

Posted by: skinswest | April 19, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Guys - Can we argue that Tampa Bay is our Next Biggest Rival since the '99 playoffs??

I hate them so much and we play them once or twice every freakin year since than, save for only one season.

I can still remember the F'ing Alstott 30 yard run that only went 2 yards but for a freakin TD to seal our fate in that playoff game. then came 'The Snap'.....

F Tampa and whoever they draft!

Posted by: ES | April 19, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Argh! that '99 playoff game was horrible - between the botched snap and that play where TB recovered their own fumble near the goal. Terrible. F Tampa is right.

Posted by: skinswest | April 19, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

2007 MOCK DRAFT 6.0

1. Oakland Raiders: Calvin Johnson, wide receiver, Georgia Tech.

2. Arizona Cardinals (from Lions, projected): Joe Thomas, offensive tackle, Wisconsin.

3. Cleveland Browns: Brady Quinn, quarterback, Notre Dame.

4. Minnesota Vikings (from Buccaneers, projected): JaMarcus Russell, quarterback, LSU.

5. Detroit Lions (from Cardinals, projected): Gaines Adams, defensive end, Clemson.

6. Buffalo Bills (from Redskins, projected): Adrian Peterson, running back, Oklahoma.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from Vikings, projected): LaRon Landry, safety, LSU.

8. Atlanta Falcons (from Texans): Amobi Okoye, defensive tackle, Louisville.

9. Miami Dolphins: Levi Brown, offensive tackle, Penn State.

10. Houston Texans (from Falcons): Darrelle Revis, cornerback, Pitt.

11. San Francisco 49ers: Patrick Willis, linebacker, Mississippi.

12. Washington Redskins (from Bills, projected): Jamaal Anderson, defensive end, Arkansas.

13. St. Louis Rams: Dwayne Bowe, wide receiver, LSU.

14. Carolina Panthers: Robert Meachem, wide receiver, Tennessee.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Adam Carriker, defensive end, Nebraska.

16. Green Bay Packers: Marshawn Lynch, running back, California.

17. Jacksonville Jaguars: Leon Hall, cornerback, Michigan.

18. Cincinnati Bengals: Aaron Ross, cornerback, Texas.

19. Tennessee Titans: Anthony Spencer, defensive end, Purdue.

20. New York Giants: Michael Griffin, safety, Texas.

21. Denver Broncos: Ben Grubbs, guard, Auburn.

22. Dallas Cowboys: Ted Ginn, Jr., wide receiver, Ohio State.

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Wright, cornerback, UNLV.

24. New England Patriots (from Seahawks): Reggie Nelson, safety, Florida.

25. New York Jets: Greg Olsen, tight end, Miami.

26. Philadelphia Eagles: Jon Beason, linebacker, Miami.

27. New Orleans Saints: Jarvis Moss, defensive end, Florida.

28. New England Patriots: Arron Sears, offensive tackle, Tennessee.

29. Baltimore Ravens: Joe Staley, offensive tackle, Central Michigan.

30. San Diego Chargers: Lawrence Timmons, linebacker, Florida State.

31. Chicago Bears: Dwayne Jarrett, wide receiver, USC.

32. Indianapolis Colts: Alan Branch, defensive tackle, Michigan.

Posted by: profootballtalk.com | April 19, 2007 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Im with you guys..Tina Fey = tasty..only once though

Posted by: oc skins | April 19, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Curious what our number is today, one week and one day out from the draft? I know Nate is. And so am I.
We're at 45,800.
Btw, we'll be blogging out guts out on draft day. I imagine Jason will post something early, then update as he can. Howard will also be on and so will I, relaying info if J and H are away from their laptops. Maske will be blogging from New York.

Posted by: Cindy | April 19, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

In honor of draft day live blogging (which I'm pretty sure I'll be joining a wee bit late due to alcohol-induced euphoria), I'm going to wear a throwback jersey and drink some Berocca.

On another note...should I switch off the Pinot Noir and onto Shiraz, or should I just finish the bottle that's in front of me? Gotta love 1/2 price bottles of wine during Happy Hour...

Posted by: P Diddy | April 19, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

"OK, but that's the last straw" says Milton before he sends Inetech up in a blaze of glory thereby saving Peter, Michael and Samir's collective asses.

F***in A' is right, brothers.

Posted by: Larry Bud | April 19, 2007 10:25 PM | Report abuse

dcsween -- why on earth would you trust the FO with six/eight/ten mid-round picks if you don't with #6?
I know the #6 pick will cost the Danny more cash, but it's his f-ing cash; even Archi-gate shows that if cash-in-hand is no object, you can get out of almost any problem. If you get six "maybe a bit more than just a guy"-s, you've got to find a roster spot for them, nurture them, and wait. Is that in the Gibbs two-year-at-best plan?
And do you really want to give up on 2007 already?

Posted by: cload and daggar | April 19, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Diddy -- are you sure this is the place to be asking that question?

There are at least two components that I can think of without being in situ... was the Pinot great? And do you need another chance to chat up the waitress?

Posted by: cload and daggar | April 19, 2007 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I could think of some more, but sommelier-age delayed is sommelier-age denied...

Posted by: cload and daggar | April 19, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Jim Vance came to my high school (go Statesmen!) to talk about how he had kicked a drug habit. This was probably 1990 or so. During the assembly some kid started mouthing off and Vance said, "Boy, if you've got something to say why don't you come on up here and say it. I didn't think so. Yeah, you're a real bad motor scooter, aren't you?" I will never forget it.

Posted by: tommy-boy | April 19, 2007 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I live and breath for the Draft. Such a heavy cross to bear draft picks are. I cant wait to give them away. Normally this would be insane...but since Danny Boy drops millions on free agency, i fear nothing.

I might even give a 5th round pick to LaConforta for keeping a blog up and running!

Posted by: cerattto | April 19, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Where's the Pacific Rim dialing it in?

Posted by: cload and daggar | April 20, 2007 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Just finished watching the Red Wings mail it in in Calgary. Jason -- did your Hockeytown USA experience linger?
Viva Bruce Martyn and Sid Abel!
Viva gary THorne and Bill Clement!
Viva Hockey Night In Canada!

And yes, sfskin, some of us do still like hockey. The only Detroit team I still really follow, although if you forced me to watch an NBA game I'd want to see the Pistons, and if you forced me to watch a baseball game I'd fall asleep whoever it is.

Posted by: cload and daggar | April 20, 2007 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, Cload -- this Pacific Rim representative doesn't have much to add today. No disrespect y'all, but we seem to just be repeating the same draft comments over and over .... alas, I too want to contribute to the goal of 50,000.

Am rather flabbergasted by the Maya Rudolph discussion. (Shudder)

thanks for the Jim Vance comments -- nice to remember the good things about DC ...

Posted by: Paps in Manila | April 20, 2007 3:39 AM | Report abuse

Free-agent defensive tackle Ian Scott is expected to visit the Bengals this week. He also has met with the Falcons, Broncos and Vikings but hasn't received any big offers. If he isn't offered much more than the league minimum, the Bears might bring him back. -- Chicago Sun-Times

Seems to me that if the Redskins were looking for help at DT, they would have talked to this guy already. Maybe they believe they are already set at DT.

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | April 20, 2007 3:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | April 20, 2007 4:20 AM | Report abuse

I was watching the Sportcenter Special @ 8 oclokc last night where they discussed in depth the draft and teams.

If we take Alan Branch, I will shoot myself... well, that is to say if we pick him at 6.

He had 25 TACKLES last year!! 25!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okoye had 55.

So for all those Alan Branch fans, only if we move down to 31 with the Briggs trade. Otherwise, we need DE or the young Okoye....

But as my name suggests, at 6 take L2

Posted by: #6DoubleEL | April 20, 2007 6:09 AM | Report abuse

I know someone will argue against my position above, saying that Branch eats blockers and that his stats are not as important.... well if that is so then take a 6th rounder like Golston to take up space. 1st and 2nd round picks need to make impacts, not just eat space.

I think at this point there are 3 scenarios that would be considered as the FO F-ing up the draft.

#1 has to be trading up for CJ (very unlikely)

#2 trading up for Russell (very unlikley)

#3 drafting Alan Branch

Enuf said. You can retort all you would like Branch supporters, but coming into the combine out of shape, getting winded after 15 plays (reported on same sportscenter show), lack of production on a killer defensive team; there is just only one reason... LAZY - He will be a get paid and not give a F... player.

Posted by: #6NOTBRANCH | April 20, 2007 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Ive got one thing to say in response to what i wrote earlier. This isnt raise a good family blog this is the redskins blog. If im the only one that feels this way then there isnt many FOOTBALL fans on here (which i dont think is true) I could care less if Brunell can raise a family if he cant throw a 10 yard slant without throwing it behind a reciever or make something happen in the pocket instead of takin a sack then hes worthless. Go on the lifetime.com blog and talk about raising his family.

Posted by: Paul | April 20, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse