Sanchez Raves about His Redskins Visit

Got off the phone with the USC QB a little while ago and hammered out this story, most of which will be used in the paper. The kid is clearly enjoying life right now - as well he should be - and it seems as if playing for the Skins would be very cool with him. He seemed like an outgoing, funny dude from what I could gather and from everything I've heard. (And, over at The League, Doug Farrar takes a look at those 16 starts.) Okay, here's the long version of the story:

If the Washington Redskins land quarterback Mark Sanchez in this weekend's NFL draft, whether by trading up or via their first pick (13th overall), the former USC star expects stiff competition -- and says he wouldn't want it any other way.

While Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and executive vice president Vinny Cerrato were entertaining Sanchez last weekend, discussing the possibility that Sanchez could play for Washington one day, Snyder made a point of telling the 22-year-old that he would have to beat out the quarterbacks who presently on the team in order to start in 2009. Obviously, that includes current the No. 1, Jason Campbell.

Given Sanchez's inexperience -- just 16 college starts -- few NFL teams would project him to make an immediate impact although that has not prevented him rising on many draft boards and drawing interest from several clubs that pick ahead of the Redskins. Snyder might have to trade into the top five, or at least the top 10, to be certain of coming away with Sanchez. Playing for the Redskins is something Sanchez sounded very comfortable with after what he described as a highly enjoyable visit to D.C.

"It was later in our dinner [Friday night] that Mr. Snyder started asking me the tough questions, and he was totally honest and upfront," Sanchez said. "He's proud of the guys they have here, and he thinks the world of Jason Campbell, and that was obvious. He said that if I come in, it's a competition, and nothing will be given to me, and he makes no promises. And that's way I want it. I don't want there to be anything promised or for anyone to be talking bad about players, because then in a few years they might be doing that with me.

"It felt like USC -- a very tight-knit family, like more than a team. They're a family. It's tough to figure that out on such a short visit, but it was obvious. It was great area, very beautiful. We drove by Georgetown. It was so nice. It was an unbelievable visit."

Sanchez's trip to this area Friday and Saturday was his last official visit with NFL clubs (he also made trips to Detroit, St. Louis and San Francisco), and he conducted a private workout for the Denver Broncos in California on Tuesday. (The Redskins held a private workout with him and other USC prospects last month.) After arriving at Redskins Park, Snyder, Cerrato and Coach Jim Zorn ushered him around and took him to a swank Italian restaurant for dinner Friday. He spent Saturday engrossed in video study with the coaches at the facility. Several league and team sources have said Snyder has retained a significant interest in Sanchez, and team officials were very impressed with him.

Sanchez, who admitted that his mind is spinning after the past few weeks, said he has no idea where he will end up going Saturday but that he would be very comfortable in Washington's version of the West Coast system after breaking it down extensively with Zorn.

"I wish I could have worked out for them again," Sanchez said. "I wanted to get on the field and show them what I can do, but we're not allowed to work out for them on the visit. But they put me on the board [to evaluate his college game tape] and compared my offense to theirs, and we're speaking the same language, which is good. And they know I'm ahead of the curve knowledge-wise and football I.Q.-wise and that is really important for them.

"There's not necessarily a need for a quarterback, but if they decided to draft a quarterback they said they want it to be someone well-versed in football knowledge. So it was fun. Coach Zorn has such a great personality and he's so honest and upfront, and Mr. Snyder, he's the man. He's pretty cool and fun to be around. He keeps everything light. I had a blast with them. I was having a ball."

Sanchez said there was a lot of overlap between the pro-style offense he ran in college and what Zorn is doing with his system in Washington.

"It's really similar, a lot of the concepts are the same," Sanchez said. "The words are obviously different, and their offense is a little more intricate, but it was all a blast. They were great about it and Coach Zorn is a meticulous coach and he's excited about coaching."

The Redskins began evaluating Sanchez at the combine in February, and the team scouted him heavily at his impressive Pro Day. In addition to his private workout with the Skins, the team also looked at USC linebackers Rey Maualuga, Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing shortly after the owners' meetings in March. (All three of those players are expected to be available when the 13th pick is made.) Sanchez went to dinner with Snyder then, along with his teammates, but said it has been difficult to get a read on how each team views him, and the Redskins made sure they did not tip their hand to any great degree.

"As much fun as we had, they never gave away their cards," Sanchez said. "It's like a poker game, like an ongoing poker game. It was nuts. They didn't want to give too much away, and it's hard to say what they think. They definitely sounded interested, but so does every team, so it's hard. It's kind of like [college] recruiting all over again."

While his enthusiasm for many of the teams is strong, there was one other thing that made the Redskins stand out, Sanchez said. With the team's color scheme so similar to USC's, it was easy to picture himself in burgundy and gold.

"I had such a good time with the Redskins, but when I was with the 49ers that was great, too, and St. Louis, too," Sanchez said. "All of it was awesome, and I had a great time with every team. Every time you walked through a locker room it was like, 'Man, I can see myself here.' But all I can say is I had a blast with the Redskins, and I felt at home there and I felt great about being there, and obviously I would wear their colors. I love their colors."

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 21, 2009; 11:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: One Way of Crunching the Top 10 Picks
Next: Cast Your Vote on Sanchez

Comments

Let me be the first to welcome Sanchez to D.C. I saw his interview on NFL Network and he came across similarly to JLC's take.

I'm not convinced we need a new QB, but since I can't do a damn thing about it, I suppose we could do worse. Kid seems genuine (or at least as genuine as anyone on TV can be) and doesn't scream locker room cancer/diva.

Posted by: AppleScience | April 21, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

I would be upset if we draft a QB. Let's go with the trench players.

Posted by: moosepod | April 21, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

What about Campbell?

Posted by: abxinc | April 22, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

"Mark Sanchez Raves About His Redskins Visit"

Not surprising. If there's one thing other than money that Snyder is good for, it's charming the pants off his targets.

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

So excuse me if I don't buy that rubbish. The facts say that Zorn personally gave Campbell his endorsement. Some of your 'gut feelings' may tell you that he was simply playing politics, but my gut feeling tells me he was sincere due to his own employment ramifications from the prospective trade. Unfortunately, neither of us know anything for sure, other than what we've heard from Campbell and other reports.

1) Thanks for proving my point.

@) PSPS, did not expect YOU to be naive! Reading your response was LOL funny. Don't take me wrong, you are mostly right on IMO, but...

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

"I don't want there to be anything promised or for anyone to be talking bad about players, because then in a few years they might be doing that with me."

Welcome to DC, kid. Obviously, you've been reading some of the JC17 bashing on RI! We gave up a lot of draft picks to trade up for him, too, not so long ago... you're scheme may be somewhat similar, but I'm pretty sure USC didn't play without a right tackle. Duck and cover, kid. Duck and cover.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 22, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Alan4, thanks for the laugh! If he is picked, no better advice can be given, based on last year's play!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Also, Curzon, continuing from the last post, I too enjoy a majority of your posts.

As far as this:

"I would not draft a QB this year, but I am not ready to say that Campbell is the man."

I'm fine with that. While I do think Campbell is the man, I have no problem with waiting to see how this year pans out. Even if Campbell "fails", addressing the other issues (like offensive line) significantly increases the chances that the next QB succeeds instead of consistently having to fight the odds.

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Good grief, what a lousy week this is.

After all the insults we fans have endured, we get a friggin' quarterback controversy-soap opera-saga stirred up by the front office. We get to contemplate first the possibility of life with that malcontent Cutler and then the possibility of Snyder drafting an Heir Apparent to stand around on the sidelines like the angel of death while Campbell and Zorn try to go about their business. Awesome stuff, this is what gets us fans fired up!

Ugh. Beer me.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 22, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Agreed psps. A dominate OL is what won us the three SBs and with that most QBs would work.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

"He's proud of the guys they have here, and he thinks the world of Jason Campbell, and that was obvious."

Oh yeah, it's painfully obvious how much faith Snyderrato has in Campbell.

Posted by: fufighter2121 | April 22, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Nate, miss your posts the mosts (wish that would qualify me as a poet!).

Been drinking a local brew, rio lodo brown ale lately. Think you would like. Cheers!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Forget about Sanchez.

Fix the O line.

Extend Campbell.

Posted by: edvar | April 22, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

And I couldn't care less how nice a guy this guy-from-"powerhouse"-program-in-weak-conference-who-started-one-measly-season Sanchez may be. Couldn't care less. We already have a nice guy QB, his name is Jason Campbell. No, he's not perfect, but it's time to freakin' put him in a position to succeed this season unless we're writing off this season already. That means bolstering his spirits, not undermining him further. I think the lack of a contract extension combined with the attempted Cutler trade have sent the message loud and clear that it's put up or shut up time for Campbell. So okay.

But the prospect, whether it's a smoke screen or not, of using one or more of our precious, precious draft picks to get this dude Sanchez (who, again, lest we forget, hasn't done ANYTHING) is just maddening.

Jesus H Christ on a popsicle stick, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

(Wailua Wheat Ale from Kona Brewing, by the way.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 22, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't sound like a smokescreen...

Rams are looking to trade out of the #2 pick. Huge double-whammy of having to give up more picks and having to pay a higher guaranteed contract if you go up there to get Sanchez.

Thought this was an interesting ranking of players... http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/nfp-draft-value-chart-2/

Would not surprise me at all if Knowshon Moreno because a "surprise" top-10 pick -- a guy that isn't getting a ton of public attention but is secretly coveted. Someone could fall in love with him pretty easily and trade up to get him.

Posted by: beatkal | April 22, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Who cares, do not draft a quaterback, linemen, offense and defense are what the skins need, why is JLC always talking about this guy, draft for what you need...its not brain surgery !!!!!!

Posted by: forbesv | April 22, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

"If there is one thing that we learned of Campbell this offseason is that he will say the right thing."

But nothing I said had to do with Campbell's response. It had to do with Zorn's and Snyder's responses.

I'm not the one going against the grain. You seem to assume the natural reaction is to believe the exact opposite of Jim Zorn's words. I don't. Snyder has zero loyalty to Zorn. Snyder would cast aside Zorn at the drop of a hat if it meant he could get a proven winner like Shanahan or Cowher (the same way he would cast aside Jason Campbell if it meant he could get a proven pro-bowl QB like Cutler). According to Jason Reid, Snyder and Cerrato went against the wishes of Greg Blache to get Jason Taylor even though Blache warned them he'd be a tough fit for that defense (from the print section: "Taylor did not mesh well with Blache, who apparently was not in favor of acquiring the six-time Pro Bowl pick, team sources said."). Why is it inconceivable to believe Snyder would go against the wishes of Jim Zorn to get the guy HE viewed as a "franchise QB"?

Sorry, I said from the beginning, even before any trade talks surfaced or interest in other QBs became apparent; Jim Zorn and Jason Campbell are, have been, and will be tied together. If one fails, both will fail. If one goes, both will go. And if one succeeds, both succeed.

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Right on, Curzon. I've been trying to scale back my previously absurd level of addiction to this thing up here.

Generally it takes particularly egregious acts of dickery on the part of commenters aiming at our hosts from the Post, or particularly egregious acts of buffoonery on the part of the front office, to bait me into joining the fray. And this week seems to be heavy on the latter.

Rio Lodi Brown, I will keep and eye out for it. Thanks for the tip!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 22, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Since I'm tired of the dirty rumors with regards to Sanchez, here's a blast from the past:
============================================
Did anyone else see this item?

Senior Bowl: Trench warfare with Mack, Raji

Everyone is talking about Boston College's B.J. Raji, and for good reason. Raji measured 6 ½ feet today and weighed 334 pounds. He's built like an oak stump, but he has excellent quickness for a guy that size. He typically had his way with offensive linemen today. The only guy who was able to handle Raji was Cal center Alex Mack, who was easily the best offensive linemen on the North squad and who was considerably better than Oregon's Max Unger, whom many publications have rated higher than Mack. Mack got the better of Raji during team drills, at one point standing him up and driving him backward.

I'm still liking the idea of trading down and picking Mack. But more of this and I suppose we won't get him if we trade down.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 20, 2009 8:13 PM
==========================================

I noticed some regular, zcezcest1 perhaps? asking who Alex Mack was a thread or two ago.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | April 22, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

Although I agree with this statement, I have to wonder why Zorn drafted a QB. Not to argue because I mostly agree with your posts, but I have to think that the Skins control what is being said. Zorn told JC what JC needed to hear.

Agree to disagree on this point.

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

Put this in the "duh" category, but there's a price for everything. Sometimes I wonder if Dan Snyder gets that. I posted a while back that I'd be ok, if not happy, with the Skins taking Sanchez if he fell to them at 13. This was back when that seemed like a realistic possibility and even that rightfully outraged some peeps who felt the skins had bigger needs. Personally, I like Sanchez and think he's worth the risk at 13.

But... there's a price for everything (again, DUH). Whatever it will take in picks to move up to get Sanchez is probably even less important the contract $$ that will have to be paid him, and that tips the risk/reward of drafting him anywhere above 8 way out of line (or certainly arguably even in the 8-13 range). But the skins never seem to understand the cost side of things -- hence the big contracts concentrated on a few players. In reality, because other teams get this, it should reduce the # of picks required to trade up to get to the top of the draft, but you know that won't stop the skins from overpaying.

Posted by: beatkal | April 22, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Nate, I have noticed what has brought about your comments lately. This place needs you and the others who built RI to what it is.

Rio Lodo is a New Mexico brewed beer, so not sure how far it has spread, but is a great tasting dark ale. Have me a growler ready for the draft...not that the Skins drafts will be worth it, but one can hope!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

just typical front office stupidity to be thinking QB, unless its just smokescreen....however it doesnt matter what QB we have out there next year because unless we dont fix the horrendous OL we have....

Posted by: hillb03 | April 22, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

"Agree to disagree on this point."

Agree to agree on this point. Clearly neither of us is going to convince the other.

I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2009 12:59 AM

------------------------------

Woops, I referred the wrong quote. That post was supposed to reference this:

"The thing that us posters don't know is what is going on at RS park between the coaches and the FO. So most is assumptions, and you know what that equals..."

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Curz, it probably goes without saying at this point, but I'm squarely in the "Jason Campbell is my quarterback" category, and even though it's foolish of me, I can't help but bristle at the way he's maligned up here. I don't think the guy is perfect, but I DO think he has what it takes to be a very good to great quarterback in this league.

But not if he continues to be undermined in every possible way by a front office who seem determined to do anything to help the team, anything at all and at any cost, aside from anything that might be considered "continuity" or -- God forbid -- anything that might lead to the establishment and maintenance of a "great offensive line like the one that was the cornerstone of three championship teams in a decade."

Not sure why I'm using quotes here, but there they "are."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 22, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

psps, you hit the nail on the head with that thing -- one of the sources of so much frustration for me in this ongoing conversation (Up Here) is that we just don't know, we can't know, what's really going on at the Park. What evil lies in the heart of Dan Snyder. And so on.

We get quotes, we get some insider-y insight from our hosts at the Post (who I consider reliable sources, even if some do not), and then there's this whole gray area where things are inferred or deduced or guessed at or created out of whole cloth... like the "nobody in the league would give us a second round pick for Campbell" meme which has so much traction. That gray area of course is the stuff of the internet, that's what keeps this conversation chugging along. But we do ourselves a disservice when we act like things are True.

Always helps to have a modicum of skepticism whilst enjoying the internets. I try to do it, same as I try to be mindful of my own bias in favor of Jason Campbell. It is what it is. Such as.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 22, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2009 12:59 AM

------------------------------

Woops, I referred the wrong quote. That post was supposed to reference this:

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

LOL PSPS! Many of us have made that error. Your right it is not a slam dunk and you could be right and me wrong or vise versa. Let's leave it at agree to disagree...

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Curzon, it doesn't look like those folks at the Chama River Brewing Company are distributing their beers, so you locals are the only ones currently able to enjoy that there brown ale and the other elixirs flowing from their taps. Lucky you.

Not that I'm unable to find potent potables to slake my thirst out thisaway, mind...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 22, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

But we do ourselves a disservice when we act like things are True.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 22, 2009 1:19 AM

Well put Nate, not even cL could have put this better!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2009 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Nate, the one thing I know is that you will find the elixir that works for you.

But I will enjoy the ones provided to us locals here in NM!! And drink one for you as well!

Posted by: Curzon417 | April 22, 2009 1:36 AM | Report abuse

TELL DANNY TO PUT GAS IN THE HELICOPTER, boy wonder might want to beat it up to new york and get an army of Big Nasties to protect Jason Campbell this sat. and let his man crush on sanchez go....this is pro football, not a night out in dupont ....can you imagine what the players are thinking...heck I'll bet the cowboys, eagles, and giants are hoping he signs sanchez...they've had it easy for the last decade because of this nonsense...why not beat on the redskins in 09'?

Posted by: ghostrider505 | April 22, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse

anyone remember the ravens game.....NO PROTECTION...poor campbell was on the ground....no protection....complete physical domination at the line of scrimage....Oh, I forgot...lets get a quarteback this year and draft linemen in the lower rounds....it's retarded.

Posted by: ghostrider505 | April 22, 2009 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Man,
Can't you just see why Snyder has a a man-on for this guy? He is a first rate schmoozer. He's great in an interview in front of the camera or not. Unfortunately, none of those qualities make a a good quarterback. Dan loves the idea of this guy as a marketing tool, but he really doesn't have a bead on how the guy will play in the NFL. I'll be the first to tell you he won't pan out. This guy played only one season in college with what was arguably some of the best athletes found on any team at the collegiate level as his supporting cast. When he gets to the NFL where all of the competition is at the same level, he's going to find he's a very small fish in a very big pond. For the love of the Redskins future, Dan - don't do it!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 22, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

Had Mr. Sanchez looked into the Redskins history since Snyder took over he would see that while he may get paid, he has absolutely no chance of winning a championship here. He'll never have an opportunity to build any chemistry with his coaches since they won't be around long, and his job will only be secure until the next "golden child" comes out of college(which ain''t so bad, at least when he's traded or let go he'll have a chance to get his ring!!!). Can anyone tell me why we drafted a QB last year and are entertaining the thought of drafting another this year. Are any other teams doing this???

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | April 22, 2009 2:31 AM | Report abuse

Reality. You have to BEAT out Campbell IF you fall to us and are the HIGHEST on our board.

st. louis, san fran, denver, detroit

I wish every player well, but I have to say it

Heath Shuler-Chez

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 22, 2009 2:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | April 22, 2009 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Can we trade ALL future first round picks for a new owner and Bill Parcells as our GM?

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | April 22, 2009 3:00 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who believes the Redskins are going to draft Sanchez is a rube....(see JLC and JR).

This is all draft smoke and mirrors.

Posted by: goosedude | April 22, 2009 4:26 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, he's going to have to compete--paying him $49 million to sit on the bench-I think not!
Dan Snyder-you are a liar! SELL THE TEAM TO SOMEONE ELSE FOR THE SAKE OF THE TEAM!!!!

Posted by: KurtShanaman | April 22, 2009 4:36 AM | Report abuse

It's not about winning, people.

It's about jersey's and beer and parking rev.

Start thinking like Snyder you morons,

Posted by: gdennie | April 22, 2009 5:44 AM | Report abuse

Just Say No to Sanchez. No no no. Don't care if it's smoke and mirrors.

Posted by: skinsfan0524 | April 22, 2009 6:10 AM | Report abuse

No NEws is No News

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 22, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

So the Skins trade into the top 5 to get Sanchez and then tell him he has to beat out Jason (a great guy) and Collins. Right!!! That kid goes right into on-the-job training.

Posted by: hz9604 | April 22, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

In case you missed it, SI retracted its report about BJ Raji's positive test at the combine in February. http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2009/04/si-retracts-raji-drug-test-report.html

Posted by: Cindy Boren | April 22, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

That Danny is a heck of a salesman. That laser focus on what he wants. That coy pretense of being a tough interviewer when in fact he's already sold himself on some guy...

You ever noticed that nobody's more vulnerable to a sales pitch than another salesman?

Posted by: Samson151 | April 22, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to 8-8 for the foreseeable future...

Posted by: CHICO13 | April 22, 2009 7:06 AM | Report abuse

This is all draft smoke and mirrors.

Posted by: goosedude

I totally agree. People need to go back to the last couple of drafts. Skins never picked the person the media thought they were going after. Didn't even talked with Davis last year. My belief is they are trying to sucker the Jets to move up (believe San will be there at 13)and give us some draft picks.

JM220

Posted by: icetotalpackage | April 22, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

From the Times:
What has killed the Redskins, however, is the performance of the players taken by Snyder and Cerrato after the first round. That's a major concern this year - after picking 13th, Washington has just one selection (No. 80) until No. 150.

Not a good performance record after the 1st round. Almost anyone can pick a starter with the 13th pick...OOOPS forgot we may take Sanchez.

Why do I feel like we're the new Detroit Lions of the league.

Select a GM with the 13th pick Mr Snyder.

Posted by: skinsfan0524 | April 22, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

I hate Dan Snyder

Posted by: Salinas1 | April 22, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

note to Danny and Vinny:

we don't need to draft a gd quarterback.....we need somebody who can start at linebacker, defensive end or offensive guard, tackle or center.....and then we need whatever else we didn't get the first time....

i hope all this Sanchez silliness is media hype because I'm done with the Skins if this plays out...ya killed me Danny boy !!!

Posted by: outrbnksm | April 22, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

skinsfan: "While the Cowboys (14 starters), Eagles (16) and Giants (16) have discovered big-time talent after the first round since 2001, the Redskins have landed just one star (tight end Chris Cooley)."

Wait a second there, Mrs. Wiggins. I'm thinking that stat smells of fish.

The Skins' NFC East rivals are judged on the number of starters they've gleaned from the draft, while the Skins are rated only on their All-Pros?

By the way, does 'starter' mean full-time, or players who've started games? What happened to Chris Horton? Rock McIntosh? Golston and Montgomery? Dem Evans and Steph Heyer? Reed Doughty?

I guess they don't count, huh?

And if the three rivals have drafted so well, why haven't they played better? I mean, outside of the Giants' Super Bowl (the greatest upset ever?), all those teams have posted mixed records.

And have relied on some pretty high-profile free agents to fill holes in the draft.

Oh, I see that's a story from the Washington Times.

That explains it.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 22, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

been out of town the past couple day's, what'd I miss??

We drafted Sanchez right??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 22, 2009 7:47 AM | Report abuse

The Deadskins dont get Sanchez and Campbell tells them to pound sand and doesn't report. Time for Campbell to realize he needs to look out for no#1 and forget the nice guy image. Why would he sign a long term deal with a team that is going to pull the same thing next year and the year afterward. He should demand a trade on April 27 and tell Danny Boy bend over and let me do the driving if they Deadskins dont get Sanchez. And Zorn has to know if he doesn't reach the SB and win his days are numbered.

Posted by: sheepherder | April 22, 2009 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Percy Harvin and Brandon Tate test positive for marijuana:

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | April 22, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

I remember seeing Sanchez wearing a knee brace for a bunch of games in college. Here are my reasons not to waste this first round pick on him;

(1) I hope the skins evaluated the knee, unlike the Malcolm Kelly and Rocky Mack high round drafts where we dismissed known medical evidence. If Sanchez's kneee is already hurting him, he won;t last in the pro's.

(2) Sanchez won't help this team win now, which most first rounders should (Taylor, Landry, Rocky, Rogers, all helped in the first year). You have an elite runner, Portis, that will be wasted if upgrades are not made at offensive line and the overall defensive investment in Haynesworth will not be fully felt without upgrading at DE and LB.

(3) The team has spent draft picks the last few years at QB. Brennan appears to have real skills, if you want someone to push Campbell--he can do it.

Please fill known needs (through the entire draft at DE, LB, and OT). I know you can't always draft for need, but this draft has stud talent at DE and LB right where the Redskins pick in the first round. No problem dealing down for a late 1 and an extra 2 or 3 round pick. The skins need young LB's, young DE's, and young OT's this year.

Posted by: DownTownClown | April 22, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

This is being reported on too much for it to be true. Sanchez is not our guy. I do see that on most updated mock drafts, the 4 OT's will be gone by 10. So my guess is Maybin, or Malauga will be picked at 13.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 22, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

'...What about Campbell?'

What about stability?

What about consistency?

What about staying committed to a guy you burned, what three picks on to get?

What about the illogic of peeing on the leg on a guy going into his contract year?

What about constantly exposing the franchise as the Walt Disneyland of Professional Cluelessness.

'Cuz it's the Goofy behavior that drives us all nuts.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Campbell tells the Redskins to "pound sand"? That's rich,no other team wants him. He's Ramsey II.

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 22, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Let me see...if I just got out of college and I have no job and a Billionaire tells me over dinner that if I am drafted (or hired with million$ guaranteed) I would have to compete (or "work for my money", in layman's terms), what would I say? Hmmm....this is a tough one! I guess I would say the same thing that Sanchez is saying!!!! NO DUH! How stupid is it for an owner to expect any other answer and glorifying the player for saying it! Oh, yeah, we ARE talking about Daniel Snyder, I forgot! Draft a player or need or trade the pick to get more picks...stupid!

Posted by: JohnWWW | April 22, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

How can mr talent evaluator Snyder actually look any player in the eye after this , there is no loyalty. How can you possibly build a football team without building a foundation, that foundation is the offensive and defensive lines.

How can you kiss and praise Campbell when the team was 6-2, then blame him for the 2-6 collapse?

Again I say look at the model in Baltimore , yes they drafted a rookie quarterback last year because they needed one but look whatthey surrounded him with a sound , dominant fron office, a dominant defense, good offensive line etc....Same thing in Atlanta they surrounded Ryan with a good offensive line and running game can we honestly say that the Redskins had any phase offense, defense or special teams that was dominant? No...Can we admit thatthe Redskin offensive line is old and not suited for a west coast offense, they wore down and had no depth, all teams had to do is double cooley an moss and we had no receiving threats so is that JC's fault? Snyder is a freaking clown a rich one though

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | April 22, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

bean

'...been out of town the past couple day's, what'd I miss??'

What did you miss?

The Cleveland Redskins just scored again. :))))

Question: Yanks v. Sawx this weekend-What do you watch, the draft or a real game?

Yeah, I know: the draft.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 22, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

"Percy Harvin and Brandon Tate test positive for marijuana:

Tate would have been a 2nd round pick if he didn't tear his ACL this season, now it seems he'll fall even further"

Dude....

Posted by: alex35332 | April 22, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Synder, Vinny, Coach Z:

Trading up to draft *any* QB in the top five slots is risky business, especially when the QB has just 16 starts. A sound concept in management theory discounts the *anticipated* benefit of any acquisition, project, opportunity, etc. by its associated risk probability. The resulting measurement is the *expected* benefit.

This ideal practice can be applied in your decision making during the draft. In simple terms, a prospective player's utility can be approximated using this methodology, (assuming ratio scales are used). Well, don't worry about the underlying theory and the math, just understand the following point: If you are going to trade up that high in the draft, you should be thinking in terms of the greatest upside and at the lowest risk - with the goal of maximizing the *expected* benefit.

Fret not, I’ve done the calculations for you because I’m a passionate fan. The net is that a player at the QB position with Sanchez’s resume should never be taken in the top 10, and certainly not the within the top 5. If you are going to trade up in the draft, maximize the expected benefit and select A. Curry, J. Smith or E Monroe.

Posted by: all_star_0013 | April 22, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

moe, I wear out the "Prev Chan" button on the remote.

However, let me throw this caveat out there, if I hear, "The Wash. Redskins Select USC Quarterba..."

The remote will then become moot as well as mute as it will be in pieces after I fire it off the wall.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 22, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Just asking: Could the 'skins be smart enough to be smokescreening on all of this? Back in the day, the idea was to never let anyone know who you wanted to take in the draft. And if you look at the really succesful drafting organizations like the Pats, the Colts, the Ravens, and the Steelers, do you hear a lot about their visits with high profile draftees?

Remember when when everyone went "huh?" when the Steelers picked Big Ben in the first round when there were a lot of other high profile QBs in the draft?

I just can't believe that all this attention on Sanchez is straight up. But then the 'Skins aren't a succesful drafting org. So I don't know.

What I do know is that the only way we win with Campbell is the way Auburn won with him. Surround him with a great running game and impeccable protection. He's not a natural playmaker, he's a an on the field accountant. He'll mechanically make the plays that are right in front of him.

So get him the hosses up front with the first and third pick, a sleeper running back in the fourth or fifth round and let's call it a day.

Posted by: wiggintom | April 22, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

oh, and on the way to work, it was being reported that the Ravens were close to trading for Boldin. Todd Heap, and a pick, not sure which one, for Boldin.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | April 22, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Heap for Boldin sounds right, and at this point I am sure they could find a average TE to replace Heap. wonder why they did not pull the trigger.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 22, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Man, sorry I missed the Nate-Dog. His posts are on target as usual.

I do have to agree with whomever it was that said since there's very little I can do about it, I'll look at the bright side and say that Sanchez does seem like a good kid and he may posess one thing JC seems to lack- strong competitive juice and leadership. K, that's 2 things.

JC may have those qualities, but they are way down low, which can be a problem when it seems like you're not producing.

I love JC. Think he's a class guy and think that Snyderato is giving him the shaft. But there are some legit gripes out there with respect to his decision making and how he deals with pressure.

Would all that be resolved with another year in Zorn's system? With some decent blocking? Maybe.

So, the bright side would be that Sanchez would hold a clipboard during JC's contract year JC blows up the league proving himself and walks at the end of the season with Snyder's pride.

Posted by: LarryBud | April 22, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Thats funny Greg, the Cards. just released that they have had no offers for Boldin.

I can't wait for Saturday, my daughters team plays 3 softball games in the morning, and then I get to come home and watch the draft.

I still think that this Sanchez thing is a smokescreen, if they wanted him that bad they would have never said anything about how interested they were.

Remember how they gushed about Winslow Jr. and never said anything about Taylor, they took Taylor. I think they are pushing Sanchez so that someone else falls to us, some mocks I've seen have Sanchez falling out of the top 13.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 22, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

You know what's funny? All of those fans who were screaming for Colt Brennan to get his chance and then when the Cutler trade came along, they were saying, "Oh, keep Jason. Don't give up Jason." Now there's a rumor about Sanchez and everyone is saying, "Oh, don't do it. Keep Jason. He's a good enough QB." Well, doesn't this just say there a re a lot of fickle fans out there who don't know what they want at QB, but the opposite of whatever Dan Snyder wants sure sounds good to them?

Me? I don't think Sanchez will pan out. I didn't think Cutler was a good pick because of his whining about the trade in the first place. Campbell? He may be the guy if he can focus on the playbook and show some growth this year. Frankly speaking, Colt Brennnan might be closer but he's not ready to start. Having a good young guy around pushing is not a bad thing. I think the Skins should take another lower round QB this draft, go with Campbell this season, and forget about Collins. At the very best, Campbell has a heck of a season and he gets paid, with Colt waiting in the wings as a viable option. At the worst, the team says good-bye to Campbell at the end of the season, good-bye to Brennan, and maybe holds onto the third stringer while they draft a first round QB and sign a free agent veteran. I think that scenario is way better than taking a reach for Sanchez after the guy has only had one year of play the college level. Let's not forget that Sanchez also has a little brush with the law in his record, too. The guy is a risky pick.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | April 22, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryBud | April 22, 2009 8:49 AM |

They have to get a CBA in place or JC wont be going anywhere he will be a RFA.

The funny thing is the NFLPA hired this new guy as leader, never agreed on salary with him and now they are like 5mil apart on compensation. He also wants a 5 year deal and the NFLPA wants 3.

If they can't even agree with the guy running them, how are they ever going to get a new CBA done. Theres no chance next year will be uncapped.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 22, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Enough with all this Sanchez junk.
How bout those NatiOnals getting their first (and probably their last)winning streak of the season last night?

In your FACE, Braves fans!

Thats right, I said it.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | April 22, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Ravens should try to trade up for Maclin instead. Boldin's almost 30, and Mac looks like a real kick return monsta , a Hesta with hands..

Posted by: frak | April 22, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Send Kelly to Baltimore for a O lineman?

Posted by: alex35332 | April 22, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Send Kelly to Baltimore for a O lineman?

Posted by: alex35332 | April 22, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

"I mean what is a kid supposed to say upon interviewing for his dream job? This is all an embarrassment to the Redskins as an organization. I mean uppermanagement , the defacto GM Danny have shown Jason Campbell nothing but disrespect.

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop"

Jesus Christ get over it. Wahh wahh.

Newsflash, every position we could draft will replace someone on the team.

What about the loyalty to our left tackles or right tackles? Where is YOUR loyalty to our offensive line!?! Where is YOUR loyalty to our linebackers!?! Where is YOUR loyalty to .

It's big boy football, sorry if it hurts someone's feelings.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 22, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

"Where is YOUR loyalty to ."

that was supposed to say "Where is YOUR loyalty to :insert position you want to draft:!?!"

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 22, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Truth,

Right on, I see no loyalty to Jansen people want to throw him in the trash.

This is pro football the players have no loyalty nor do the owners, it's about money for both so stop crying about it.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 22, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Send Kelly to Baltimore for a O lineman?

Posted by: alex35332

I saw Kelly on Redskins nation last night. That dude has so much swag, and he seems to have a good grasp of what it takes to be a good player. I'm really hoping his knee issues are over. If healthy, I think he'd be fun to watch play and develop.

Posted by: TWISI | April 22, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Skins trade up and grab Monroe or Smith or Curry, thats what I want to see if we move up. Pretend its for Sanchez, let all the media outlets report it then snag a real impact guy who can help us out right away.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 22, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"If JC17 starts to play bad everyone on here will be saying why didn't we draft Sanchez.

Posted by: Flounder21"

And if JC17 plays well (which he's truly inches from achieving) people will be sitting on here screaming that we've just spent a $50 million contract on a glorified back-up quarterback.

And you think people have been complaining about selecting Fred Davis in the 2nd round last year? Just wait to see what happens if this fleshes itself out....

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Or trade back with lets say the Jets. If Sanch falls past the top 10 and fill more holes with guys that slipped farther down. We can still get a good pick with the Jets 17 and maybe another 3rd rounder or a late 2nd.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 22, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Sanchez should be asking Mr. $nyder what kind of health benefits Pro Football, Inc. offers its employees. He's going to need a Cadillac health insurance plan. Because without any offensive lineman to protect his a$$, he's going to spend his Redskins career in traction.

What a sorry, pathetic team this once proud franchise has become. I can't believe that it took that arrogant little Napoleonic tird of an owner to make me care less about Sunday afternoons in the fall.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | April 22, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Huh??? Yeah, right. If Snyder thinks the world of JC and treats him the way he has, it would be truly sad to see the way he treats guys he does not think the world of....

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 22, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Sanchez's marketing skills..That's what charged Snyder's hypothalmus...Visions of Sprint ads instead of Campbell's Soup ads (the REAL reason the Skins drafted Campbell) dancing in Snyders WalMart head..We should send a crack team of Skins fanatics and BEERBOARD him into hiring a GM..

Posted by: frak | April 22, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Percy Harvin and Brandon Tate testing positive for marijuana....

Charlie Casserly said a few weeks ago that if a player tested positive for marijuana that player immediately came off of his draft board. Said he would still consider players that tested positive for steroids, etc. but NOT marijuana since the players were all well aware of when the Combine is being held and still showed up with a positive test. Casserly said if a player could not stay away from marijuana long enough to get through the Combine, this indicated to him that the player had a substance abuse problem.

Posted by: Lisa_R | April 22, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Really, no comments since 6?

Posted by: Zeebs | April 22, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

When a player gets busted for weed, they move up my draft chart.....

Posted by: chrislarry | April 22, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Nevermind, it just caught up for me for some reason.

"Exactly. Which is why I don't see how it's a slam dunk that Zorn backed the Cutler trade, especially when his words and recent reports give reason to believe the opposite.

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse "

Exactly why Zorn was hired, so no one could stop Danny.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 22, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

If there were a squarer human on Earth than Charlie, he'd be a cube..

Posted by: frak | April 22, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Ok here's the thing - what if Campbell opts to leave DC after this season? Let's say they are able to land Sanchez and he sits behind Campbell this year, Absorbs the offense and that way we would be set at QB for the next 10 seasons. Look at it this way - if Zorn is going to succeed here in DC, he needs a good (west coast)QB to run the show, and whether or not JC does well, he could leave us regardless.

Posted by: fullonfully | April 22, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Saw that too Lisa, and he said it also showed he cant be too smart for that reason.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 22, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

fullonfully,

I think that decision has already been made for campbell... especially if we draft Sanchez...

Posted by: Zeebs | April 22, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

If we do not address the O line or D line with our 1st pick our team will suck and Zorn will be fired. Sanchez will ride the pine all year watching JC17 stuggle and get beat down by D Ware, and all the other beasts on D in our division. The new coach is Shanny and we start over again. Luckily this wont happen cause Sanchez rumors are a smokescreen.

Posted by: FedorEm | April 22, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, its all smoke so that when Sanchez falls to us, we trade 13 to the Jets for a grab bag of 2s and 3s, and LOAD up on O-line, LB and DE..

Posted by: frak | April 22, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if anyone else heard about this yet. But its a cool opinion mapping tool in development. I would love to see us have something like this for some sports questions.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 22, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | April 22, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

It is incredible how dumb Dan Snyder is. I mean seriously, with this O-line it doesn't matter who you put under center, Campbell, Sanchez, heck, Tom Brady, they're gonna get pummeled.

So whats he gonna do, he's gonna go invest draft picks in another 1st round qb (who has bust written all over him, in my opinion), and then what, Campbell has a great year, Sanchez can't get on the field, and we're paying two qbs premium dollars. This is the problem right now in Arizona, Cleveland, and soon to be Oakland and San Francisco.

Its called stupid management.

Posted by: kingtutts | April 22, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Its called stupid management.

Posted by: kingtutts | April 22, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

"Look at it this way - if Zorn is going to succeed here in DC..."

...he's going to have to do it this season. And if he does it this season, it's going to be with Jason Campbell at QB. And if Campbell plays well enough for Zorn to "succeed", voila, the Redskins have their QB of the future (unless Campbell feels inclined to move elsewhere and learn yet another system -- not likely). In this scenario, we now have a 1st round back-up QB with a monster contract. Poor, poor management.

Say Campbell fails. That means the team struggled. Zorn gets tossed out the door. You can bet the house on that. Now we just wasted a season of Sanchez's career (and contract) for him to "learn" a playbook that no longer exists for the Skins. He'll have 1 season of starting experience in the last 4 years, another coach will be brought in, and he'll be a rookie all over again. The offensive line will be another year older and more ineffective, Sanchez will be thrown into something he's not ready for (unless he truly is the extreme minority of QBs that can step in and succeed anywhere), and the team will likely have to wait at least another year for Sanchez to become familiar with the new coaches playbook.

Posted by: psps23 | April 22, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

if Snyder, Vinny and Sanchez want a lovefest, let them get a room, even a pricey room. just please, don't diddle this poor franchise and its long suffering fans any more!

Posted by: mdrockjock | April 22, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Beanie’s Agent Balks At Bad Bone Blurb
Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2009, 7:13 a.m.
On Monday, Peter King of SI.com wrote of rumors that some teams are being “scared off” from former Ohio State running back Chris “Beanie” Wells due to a problem with a sesamoid bone in his foot.

On Tuesday, Wells’ agent rejected any such suggestion.

“Beanie was examined by [orthopedic surgeon] Dr. James Andrews in January and was given a clean bill of health,” agent Adam Heller said, according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “There are no issues with the toe and he’s 100 percent. He rushed for 1,200 yards and has since posted the best broad jump at the Combine and a 4.38 in the 40 at his pro day.”

Heller also said that the matter hasn’t arisen during the pre-draft process.

“Beanie has not had the issue raised by any team during his individual workouts or team visits. Based on the conversations I’ve had with teams, it’s a non-issue,” Heller said.

Though Heller’s comments might be viewed by some as predictable and self-serving, we’ve separately heard from a trusted source (i.e., not the guy who told us Terry Bradshaw had died), and the source says that Wells checked out fine.

The source thinks that the rumor is being propagated by folks who would like to see Wells fall into their laps on Saturday.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is why you can't trust anything Peter King says. He got lucky on the Haynesworth thing, but that's about it......

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 22, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

and CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!

Posted by: frak | April 22, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be upset with drafting Sanchez. I'd love to have Orakpo, but I think our D is pretty solid where it is. You can't win consistently w/o a very good QB.

Posted by: dieselfan44 | April 22, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Come on guys, this is ridiculous. Campbell proves that you don't have to throw a ton of picks to be an ineffective QB. I really do like the guy, and I think he has decent tools. Great arm, throws a nice ball, just extremely slow in the pocket.

Obviously it doesn't help that his O-line is garbage. Having one undersized receiver and a tight end to throw to doesn't help either.

If we do draft Sanchez, it's not the end of the world like some people on this site and Extreme Skins make it out to be. Sanchez will be a good QB somewhere. We simply shouldn't trade up for him, and if either he or Orakpo is still on the board at 13, we should be happy with either one. The O-line simply has to get better, and the Devin Thomas/Malcolm Kelly needs to step up big time.

Posted by: brian71490 | April 22, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm obviously against trading up for anyone in our situation. But if Sanchez falls to #13, I'd really only have (of the likely available players) Andre Smith or Muauluga.

Let's see. We have a starting QB in his contract year. He has been slightly above average at best. He hasn't lost games for you but he hasn't won many games for you.

In a lot of situations, I think that is time to bring in what your front office says is a starting caliber QB, let him sit a year, and then see where we're at. If Campbell dominates, maybe we trade Sanchez for what we can get, or keep him as a backup (#13 money isn't nearly what top 5 money is, so it won't be too much I don't think).

But the likely scenario, Campbell performs average and the Skins go anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7. We let Campbell walk then bring in Sanchez, who has spent a year in the system (yes, we keep Zorn), and see what he can do as a second year player. Then he's basically a rookie, but instead of a senior year in college he has 1 year in our system.

Obviously we have plenty of needs, and JC isn't the reason we've lost games, but I'm all for completely rebuilding. We aren't gonna win a Superbowl with what we've got, so why not bring in new pieces.

We already have put a lot of weight on our young guys. Our whole draft class from last year, we're counting on them being solid starters. That's, what, 9 players?

Let all these hyperinflated old guys' contracts run out and try bringing in talented pieces. Haynesworth still has probably half a career left, DHall has plenty of years, Rogers does, etc. We need a different look.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 22, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Also, psps23 hit the nail right on the head.

Posted by: brian71490 | April 22, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Wait a second there, Mrs. Wiggins. I'm thinking that stat smells of fish.

I guess they don't count, huh?

Oh, I see that's a story from the Washington Times.

That explains it.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 22, 2009 7:44 AM |
Samson151

I'll work my way up.

yes...The Times provided the stats.
Steph Heyer fill in. Reed Doughty Mr. I get torched on the long ball and can't compete on Hortons level. Next year hopefully we can add Horton as #2 in Vinatos record book behind Cooley as #1.
I guess back at you.

Posted by: skinsfan0524 | April 22, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Sanchez only played 16 games @ USC. Matt Ryan was a Redshirt Senior. Boston College developed him for 5 years. Pete Carrol thinks Sanchez is a Ryan Leaf jerk for leaving too early.

Skins need OT or DE not immature Sanchez

Posted by: jercha | April 22, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

"It's just bad management to select a QB right now. Even if you knew 100% that Campbell was not the guy, the team still shouldn't draft a QB unless they knew 100% that Jim Zorn was. And they don't know that. Snyder has his eye on Cowher and Shanahan in 2010, and it will take nothing short of equalling Gibbs 2.0's best seasons for Zorn to last longer than this year. It's a wasted year, one way or another, for a future QB to be drafted right now.

Posted by: psps23 "

That's a fair assessment and knowing our FO, next year could very well be make or break for Zorn.

But what if they have already committed to giving Zorn like 4 or 5 years minimum. And they are committed to keeping his system and letting him use it. I believe we have the WR's for it after who we drafted last year, and I think Zorn, Snyder, and Cerrato all think Sanchez would be a better fit in Zorn's system than Campbell is.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 22, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

You feaks are out of control with your worrying...

First off, the skinz don't have the ammo to trade up to get this guy....Secondly, this is smoke and mirrors. I peronallly think they will draft Orakpo who stinks...
Third...aren't there more important things to worry about cause you can't control what someone else does or says...

Take a chill pill for once and let it happen...

Posted by: lilagram | April 22, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Actually Jerka, Sanchez is rising because Carroll has been telling everyone he will be a good player...

Posted by: Zeebs | April 22, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

As an aside, I see a lot of people saying "We're using our interest in Sanchez just in case he falls to #13, then we're gonna trade back with someone who really wants him."

If I'm sitting at #17 and I want Mark Sanchez, and he falls to #11 or #12 and I keep hearing how badly #13 wants him, I'm probably not gonna wait till he falls to #13, I'm probably gonna make my move when he is at #11 or #12. Common sense...

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 22, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

lilagram, this years first and next years is not enough ammo? some 4th and thirds in there somewhere?

Posted by: Zeebs | April 22, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Just out of curiosity, who were the Hall of Fame QBs Joe Gibbs had the first time around? How many QBs did Bobby Beathard trade up for? Who was that group of guys that pummeled the opposing defensive line and why would we need guys like them again? And why do I keep reading it as "Snachez"?

Build the lines and the rest will take care of itself. Oh, and @Snyder: winning = jersey sales.

Posted by: countystyle | April 22, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

I seem to recall the Skins drafting a hot shot QB last year. Why spend their first pick this year on another young QB? Get the OL filled with quality players.

Posted by: rw-c | April 22, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

It really is this simple, if they do not address the offensive line, they are setting the qb and the coach up for failure. It doesn't matter whether that qb is Campbell, Cutler, or Sanchez, you are setting them up for failure. Why is this so hard?

Sanchez has one year college experience, the pro game is much much faster. No O-line, he's gonna live on his back. Much like JC did last year.

Why waste premium dollars on two first round QB's if both of them are going to spend all of their time lying down? Wasting the pick on a QB, or trading up and losing future picks to draft a QB is the end of the Skins for next few seasons.

Posted by: kingtutts | April 22, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder is the anti-Christ.

Worst of DC
1. Snyder
2. Mayor for Life Barry
3. Snyder
4. Cheney

Posted by: tallertapas311 | April 22, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I don't care how charming/charmed Sanchez was. If you're going to give up picks, do it for Boldin.

Posted by: nittanybruin | April 22, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

"I seem to recall the Skins drafting a hot shot QB last year.

Posted by: rw-c"

Then you have an awful memory. Last year we drafted Colt Brennan.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | April 22, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

This better be a smoke screen because it makes no sense.

Posted by: Redskins001 | April 22, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

See, even the team plane doesnt get it. It must be smarter than you Snyder.

Posted by: Zeebs | April 22, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I had dismissed Aaron Maybin up until now, but I'm really starting to take to him.

I think he could play that LB/Rush DE role that Blache had in mind for Jason Taylor.

In fact, he reminds me of a young Jason Taylor, with a tremendous burst (notice the "r", I said YOUNG Jason Taylor).

I think he might be a better fit than Orakpo who seems a little stiff for my tastes.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | April 22, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 22, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I can see that some people here think all the chatter about the Redskins picking Sanchez is just a smokescreen and rightfully believe that you don’t show your intentions during the draft process. That is what competent organizations do. However we are not talking about a competent organization here, we are talking about Snyder and Vinny.

They’re natural inclination would be to trade the 1st pick this year, the 1st pick next year, the 1st pick in 2011, the 3rd pick this year, the 2nd pick next year, Chris Coolly, and Jason Campbell just to move up 5 spots in the draft.

There is nothing we can do to stop this madness, it is Dan Snyder’s team we just support the team; we just have to hope that things work out despite Snyder and Vinny. That is our only hope. My ultimate wish would be to move down and get additional picks to build the O Line and D Line. However if Sanchez slides down to the redskins at 13, and they think he is the key to solving their problems, I would not be opposed to picking him at #13.

I’m absolutely opposed moving up.

Posted by: Ejayraptor | April 22, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Re: Maybin, I still think that OT is the way to go, but if they're all off the board, and the Skins go DE/OLB, I wouldn't be disappointed by Maybin.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | April 22, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

No, Sanchez is a good mobile QB with a big arm, but he needs to go somewhere with a strong O-line and established QB situation to grow in, neither of which we have..If Zorn kowtows to Snyder (unless this is skunk smoke) and doesn't beef up that OT hole, NFC Beast is pouring through the breech and Zorn is sent packing to Detroit, Siberia...

Posted by: frak | April 22, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Bill Walsh says you should draft a quarterback in every draft.

...or was that Joe Walsh

Posted by: CTSkins | April 22, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

"I seem to recall the Skins drafting a hot shot QB last year.
Posted by: rw-c"

"Then you have an awful memory. Last year we drafted Colt Brennan.
Posted by: TheTruth11"

Brennan holds the NCAA D-I record for most touchdown passes in a single season with 58, as well as 30 other NCAA Division I records. You don't consider that a hot shot QB that the Skins drafted?

Posted by: rw-c | April 22, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Please, not another Franchise QB that is going to fight for the starting job.

What is wrong with giving Colt a chance to to fight for the job?

Don't waste the pick. Get help on the OL or the DL.

Posted by: getandgo | April 22, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Of course Bill Walsh drafted Joe Montana in 1979, his first year with the 49ers, so that would make 9 draft picks he wasted on a quarterback.

Posted by: CTSkins | April 22, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Of course Snyder charmed the pants of Sanchez....he's got Vinny's pants off every day...then he puts his hands in your pocket ,,,yikes

Posted by: BANDIT511 | April 22, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BANDIT511 | April 22, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I am a life long Skins fan and if we trade up and draft a qb, I'm sending danny boy every skins piece of paraphanelia I own. I'm sick of this crap. We have so many more needs on this team right now than QB. Why invest so much into Campbell and than trade up to draft Sanchez?

While I dont think Campbell is the answer, and I dont think he ever will be, please dont do it Danny - please.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | April 22, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Mr Snyder thinks the world of Jason Campbell? Um OK.....and the fans think the world of you and Vinny too Mr. Snyder.

Posted by: dcwun | April 22, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

To trade up for Sanchez, what will we be giving up? Numerous valuable picks that SHOULD be used to address crying needs at OT, OG/C, SOLB, DE and depth. In exchange for WHAT? A developmental project at a position where our starter is competent and, possibly, on the cusp of stardom. So then what about these other, more pressing needs? The quality free agents are all signed already. 2009 thus becomes a lost season long before it begins. SIGH! Wake me up in a year....

Posted by: spitz1 | April 22, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

It sounds like he had a real blast here.

Posted by: Pulldownclaw | April 22, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Agree with the smoke and mirrors comments - maybe trying to increase value for other prospects that may be drafted around the 13th pick so the Skins can get one of the 4 top OTs in the draft. Pretty clever (sarcasm here).....

Danny knows - by virtue of watching his beloved skins in the 80's and early 90's - that the formula for Super Bowl wins is protect your QB, get to theirs, run over the middle, and have a deep threat to keep 'em honest. Plug in the best available strong arm at QB and you're good to go. See "Jay Schroeder", "Doug Williams", "Mark Rypien". Joe T wasn't a strong armed QB but he made up for this with his mobility.

Danny and Vinnie can't be stupid enough to trade up in the first round to draft an unproven QB and neglect the O and D lines.

Oh wait..... Yes they can be that stupid.

Posted by: Jon_Hillis | April 22, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"I seem to recall the Skins drafting a hot shot QB last year.
Posted by: rw-c"

"Then you have an awful memory. Last year we drafted Colt Brennan.
Posted by: TheTruth11"

Posted by: rw-c | April 22, 2009 10:34 AM |

Give this Colt Brennan obsession a rest. If he was that great a QB, why did all 32 teams pass on him at least 6 times each before the Redskins picked him in the 6th round? He is nothing but a backup QB who played well against sub par talent.

The only Colt that has a chance of starting as quarterback for this team is Colt McCoy. When you bring up Colt Brennan it exposes your lack of knowledge of the game if you ask me.

Posted by: Ejayraptor | April 22, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I say again. It does not matter who is playing quarterback if he gets sacked 40 times, he will not be successful. Draft the big nasties, the cavemen, the Ogre's up front. That's how you dominate. No team has won the Superbowl without a good offensive line. Right now our line is just offensive.

Posted by: MadeRED | April 22, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Sanchez is no where as good as Colt Brennen.
I would like to see Colt run the offense. We shall see this preseason. Redskins need to snach up Rey Maualuga.

Posted by: foodcritic101 | April 22, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"yes...The Times provided the stats.
No...Free agent signings are not drafted by Redskins unless they have been cut and resigned. Yes...The three rivals have done better than the Redskins because they have won a super bowl and yes they have been to the playoffs and yes they finished with a better W/L record then we have. Finishing last in the division or near the bottom does mean they were a better team. No...They were not fulltime starters and with the exception to Horton and D Evans, at best are lucky to be on a team. Rocky doesn't have a clue when a pass plays are called. Golston and Montgomery, I like but have not been starters ecept to fill in.
I guess back at you." skinsfan0524

Hokey-dokey.

Just a few points, however:
1. Except for the Jints, the East hasn't won a SB since '96. We might be the strongest division some years, but we've seldom had the strongest team. The NY victory, you'll agree, was an upset.
2. All three other NFC East teams sign free agents. The Eagles just signed two big-ticket tackles. The 'Boys sign WRs and DBs for large bucks. The guy who caught the winning TD in that Super Bowl was a big ticket free agent, and boy, do they miss him.
3. My main objection to that article was the obvious one: the author's confusion of 'starter' with 'star'. I didn't hear an answer.
4. No fair slipping in subjective personal judgments of players. How do we know you know what you're talking about?
5. About those mixed records: take the Cowboys, with all those drafted starters. Since 2000: 3 straight years at 5-11. followed by a single 10-6, dropping back down to 6-10, then up to 9-7 (missed playoffs), 9-7 (1st round loss), a stellar 13-3 (embarrassing divisional loss on bonehead mistake), and back to 9-7 (missed playoffs). Better than Washington's, but not by all that much.

Remember, exceptions don't prove the rule. They undermine fragile premises, like the ones you cite in that article.

Anyway, that's enough on that subject.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 22, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I've never bought the argument that its just about jerseys and beer and parking. It IS just about money, which The Danny would be making truckloads of if this team ever won anything.
Its simple, winnning = $$$$, lots of 'em.

Posted by: SkinsInSichuan | April 22, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

O LINE O LINE O LINE O LINE O LINE O LINE
C RG RT C RG RT C RG RT C RG RT C RG RT C RG......
Dan Snyder,
To have success in the NFL you must have a competent offensive line. From your center to right tackle the offensive line on your Washington Redskins is WEAK, INJURY PRONE, OLD, and has little DEPTH. Rectify this situation as best as possible in the draft Saturday. DO NOT DRAFT MARK SANCHEZ!! He, Jason Campbell, Todd Collins, Colt Brennan, Tom Brady, Joe Montanna, Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, or any other dam quarterback past or present won't be able to perform to the best of their abilites, thus win ballgames behind your current O Line!! DAM!! What is it about that, that you can't understand? Aren't you an intelligent man? And don't you want to win a Super Bowl? Get the dam O line straight!!!

Posted by: 72Redskins | April 22, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Nice job 72Skins....Sanchez is no better than Campbell while lying on his back. Then there is talk of Brian Orakpo, gee let's draft another player with knee problems(Macklin and Thomas) and he popped a hammy at the combines. I do like the kid from USC Rey Maualuga. If we don't build the O' line. Say goodbye to Clinton, how pounding can he handle and hello to lions country. Because we'll have the #1 pick next year.

Posted by: BingCreole | April 22, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Yes, Yes to all those who say the offensive line is the key. When the line was healthy in the first half, the Skins were 6-2 and Campbell was in the pro bowl discussion. Old lineman start getting hurt, offense goes down the tubes.

How could someone smart enough to make 1 billion dollars not get that? It's maddening ...

Posted by: HighPlainsDrifter | April 22, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Trade back...get this OLine fixed.

Posted by: MadeRED | April 22, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

This is utter disrespect for a guy who played the whole of last season without an offensive line. If the skins trade for or draft Sanchez. I will will end my 19 year relationship with this lousy and inconsistent team.

Posted by: Pabblos | April 22, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! OL and DL please

Posted by: epostell | April 22, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

The mocks are mocking Snyder

#8 Pick Scenario
Redskins Trade Up for Mark Sanchez: Daniel Snyder is a smart businessman, but he's proven that he has absolutely no clue when it comes to football decisions. Though he traded up for Jason Campbell and never provided the Auburn product with a consistent playbook, Snyder now wants Mark Sanchez to be the face of his franchise. Snyder tried to trade Campbell this offseason, and he has the money to pay Sanchez top-10, or even top-five money.

The difference between the Nos. 8 and 13 selections is 250 points. The Redskins have the 80th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, which is worth 190 points, so they'd have to give up more. Not that doing so means much to Snyder; I suspect he'd be happy enough to relinquish next year's third-rounder as well.

As a football decision this makes no sense; by the time Sanchez is ready to take over as the starter, Chris Samuels, Santana Moss, Clinton Portis, Albert Haynesworth and Andre Carter will be past their primes. But how common is it that Snyder makes an intelligent football decision? - WalterFootball

Posted by: mattsoundworld | April 22, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: aypub | April 22, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Snyder was high on Campbell out of college too. We need a defensive end who can actually put pressure on the quarterback and offensive line help. We need too much to take Sanchez. He could end up being very good but we need too many other things. I'm not a huge Campbell fan but he needs line help. This and the Cutler stuff just show Campbell is done with the Skins. I hope they take a d-end who can force some fumbles. I hope that take 2 d-ends and 2 OL with their 4 picks.

Posted by: andvines991 | April 22, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Give this team a chance to win, beef up the line.

Posted by: MadeRED | April 22, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"OK U guys keep Campbell --- but don't hope for much. Once in a while a fair QB is taken to the SB by a great team! But it's so rare that it happens; so get all your defensive and offensive grunts (they are needed) then get your QB later. QB's are what they are (they don't become super just because they're around a long time) As in Collins (ok)"

Posted by: aypub | April 22, 2009 12:56 PM

So rare that it happens, huh? Super Bowl QBs this decade include Trent Dilfer, Kerry Collins, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Jake Delhomme, Matt Hasselbeck, and Rex Grossman. I'd classify all those as far QBs and in some cases worse.

Even guys like Brady and Warner who have become great QBs were a 6h round draft choice and an Arena league player, respectively.

Point being that you don't have to take at the top of the draft to have success in the NFL.

Again, BUILD THE LINES.

Posted by: VaTerp1 | April 22, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

What happens if we draft him, Campbell beats out everyone and has a decent year but we still dont win consistantly because we have no depth on the O and D line? Then we will be QB rich and line poor. Still a one and done playoff team at best. I guess Danny will fire the coach and hire Mike or Bill and start over again, draft more wide outs and a running back, pick up an aging Olinemen at the end of his career based on his past success and expect an improvement.

Posted by: ged0386 | April 22, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Not to mention that all 3 of the Redskins Super Bowls were won with "fair" QBs more or less.

Give Campbell another year with the same offense. His QB rating has improved each year as a starter. If he's not the answer then look for a QB next year.

Now is the time to build the lines, get a starter for the LB corps, and build overall team depth.

Posted by: VaTerp1 | April 22, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Dear Dan, listen closely... on draft day, I want you to TRADE CLINTON PORTIS. You heard me... trade your buddy Clinton. By the time your O-line matures, he'll be too old & too expensive. Be shrewd & trade him now while he has value. You'll get your premier tackle and a stud on d-line or linebacker. You'll even be able to find a fresh young pair of legs to complement (or take the job from) Ladell Betts.

I realize that you've never played the game. But those of us who have at any level or even closely watched know that the game is won in the trenches.

I know those jerseys don't sell like a Mark Sanchez, but do the research man! Give us a Super Bowl winner and even the punter is ripe for marketing $$$$.

Posted by: ThatJohnsonBoy | April 22, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Dan Quixote looking for Sancho Panza.

As a Skins fan for decades, I can say without reservation that I've never, ever seen this team as F'd up as it is now. Danny, you clueless jock sniffer. It isn't enough that you and your boy Vinny have handed the keys to an eager but as yet unremarkable 2nd-year HC, who now has the added challenge of trying to instill some confidence in a decent QB whom you've done everything to embarass short of writing "40 acres and a mule" into his compensation package. Throw in an offensive line that has proven as effective as a screen door on a submarine and you've got the makings of a real hotly contested 6 and 10 season.

I'll never root against the Redskins but I'm definitely rooting against you, Danny. I'm rooting for your financial empire to collapse on your head and force you divest yourself of a team you've managed to make a division patsy. What you've done to this team and continue to do sucks. You're a punk. You should thank God everyday that Campbell isn't the kind of guy who would walk into your office, grab you by your silk tie, jack you up on the wall and tell you to either get him some protection from the O line or trade him to a team that understands competitiveness. What an f-ing virus you are Snyder.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | April 22, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Great he would wear our colors. He takes a pretty picture. With as few picks as we have and as many needs to fill, would we really pick an undersized, one-year starter, from a packed team in a weak conferance? I was clamering for the "Cut the Colt" movement. But Snyder wants to move up to draft him all over again, in the top ten no less.

I'm falling in love with Orakpo. The more I think it over. The better he looks. We have serious needs at DE and LB. Orakpo could play both, too bad not at the same time. Turning out to be like Terrel Suggs might be the worst case scenario for him. A first year young speed rushing end who ends up a solid LB. Lacking a 2nd and 4th round pick it could buy us some time for a quality pick at either position to present itself. With decent FA filler in the mean time. He could progress from DE-OLB-MLB while possessing the tools for all immediately. He's the guy I wouldn't mind moving up for, though it came with consideration. I'd still like the high pick End to be taller. The same might be true for a LB. (The idea being that you can see over the line at what is developing) as long as they play small or low and tough at the point of attack. Also LB is tougher more instinctual position. So the idea could be a little unrealistic. But if someone could Orakpo seems the one. Despite playing through tough injuries he had incredible numbers.

Posted by: chavez66 | April 22, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I agree with andvines- we need too much. I like Orakpo better than Sanchez, but would still go OT if anything available at 13.

Posted by: ElYeah | April 22, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Well at least we can consolation in the fact that the CowPunks and 49ers suck to.

Posted by: BingCreole | April 22, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Great thinking by Dannyboy and Vinny!!! Bring in Sanchez and trade Jason then play Sanchez behind the current "O" line.

Results: Everybody is now blaming the team's poor showing on Sanchez while Campbell is looking great with some other team with a pass blocking "O" line and a decent receiver corps.

Please build a foundation before you you try to build a skyscraper. Remember a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. With the Skins that's the "O" line and receiver corps.

Posted by: rabanathey | April 22, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm
Maybe its wishful thinking, but I can't see all 4 OT's being gone; there are always suprise entries into the top 10, and I've heard both Andre Smith and Oher have the potential to fall. But, if it happens, and we can't trade down, I'd rather go after Britton at 13. We absolutely need a LT. We should have a good chance to nab a starter at SLB in the 3rd.

Posted by: kenboy1 | April 23, 2009 4:21 AM | Report abuse

Let me say that being a Redskins Fan since 1983, this off season has been the most aggrevating one of all. What really has me going out of my mind is how many skins fans are actually going against Jason Campbell. Open your eyes you bunch of want to be called skins fans!! Campbell is probably the best QB we have had in a while. He's young, mobile, strong, strong armed and above all very humble and well spoken not creating controversy in the locker room. If you saw the games last year you can see that when the OL was at its best Jason was tearing it up, only was sacked like 7 times in those first 8 gms. but when the line turned into paper mashay he was being sacked like double what he got sacked in the first 8. I dont care what QB you are, throwing from your butt is not going to get you possitive play. I mean think back, was Rypien that great of a QB? was Jay Schraeder that great? noooooo but they had a line that let them do their thing. see the difference!! The real problem here is Cerrato! He's the biggest plague we have in our system. Get rid of him and problems will be over in D.C. I want to see an O/L, D/L or L/B picked cause thats what we need, Cause picking a QB would be the wrong way to go. Plus not only are you saying Campbell is not worthy by going after a QB in tomorrow's Draft, but what are you saying about his Backups in Brennan and Collins? I guess they aren't worthy either, but a Kid that only started 16 games in his college carrier is! RIGHT!! Good Thinking CERRATO!!!!Thats why you make the big bills huh! What a Joke You Are, My Grandma had more sense than you, you damn Dork!!!

Posted by: sknsfannFL38 | April 24, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse