Marko Mitchell signs with Detroit Lions

Wide receiver Marko Mitchell wasn't unemployed long. Released Monday by the Redskins, Mitchell signed today with the Detroit Lions.

Mitchell was a fan favorite in Washington who played big in the preseason last year but had only four catches in the regular season. He was one of five Redskins who got the pink slip Monday.

Running back P.J. Hill also found a new employer. He was claimed off waivers and signed today with the New Orleans Saints.

By Rick Maese  |  May 4, 2010; 8:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snyder apologizes for Redskins' dealings in cheerleader story

Add Redskins Insider to Your Site
Be the first to know when there's a new installment of Redskins Insider! This widget is easy to add to your Web site, and it will update every time there's a new entry.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

portis stole shades in nyc during draft week, please ask him about this rick / reid

Posted by: jm22d56 | May 4, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Now you will see how great REDSKINS talent eval really is. VINNY was learning.

Posted by: glawrence007 | May 4, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Portia stole sunglasses?

Posted by: westjr88 | May 4, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Portis

Posted by: westjr88 | May 4, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Marko mitchell # 84 , Joey Galloway # 84, Can't have two # 84's can we ? Conspiracy theory anyone ? Marko said "hell no you can't have my # ", Shanny say fine, your off the team !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | May 4, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | May 4, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

"BP claims absolute responsibility for oil cleanup"

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

It kind of reminds me of that Chris Rock bit about people who want credit for the things they are supposed to do -

I got a job!!!! - You're SUPPOSED to have a job.

I pay my child support!!!! - You're supposed to pay your child support.

We take responsibility for that oil spill!!! - You're SUPPOSED to take responsibility...as if anyone else but BP could be blamed?

If only "taking responsibility" could make the Gulf clean.

Posted by: p1funk | May 4, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful! Hope he doesn't show Shanny that he made a mistake when we meet in week eight.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | May 4, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

He caught on elsewhere... pun intended

Posted by: Burrasta1 | May 4, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

"Again, once all the races mix what will we have to argue about?"

Race mixing?

Isn't that a situation where Danica Patrick has Tony Stewart's baby?

(INSERT rimshot audio and shouts of "This is why a scroll through your dumb, unfunny posts, moron!" as Rodney "Moe" Dangerfield yanks his BP sponsored provided tie without a pit crew's help and complains about the lack of respect he receives from this blog.)

"And speaking of sex," Moe goes on. "It looks like only BP and gays like to spill way too much oil in your gulf before screwing you over......"

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 4, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

See you, Marko
It is my hope this is not the Skins FO practicing "Catch and Release"

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 4, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I was really pulling for Marko, the kid showed some nice potential. Sucks that he didn't get a chance in Shanny's offense. Oh well, thank god Philthy, Dumbass or the G-strings didn't claim him. Last thing we needed was for him to be a huge success in the NFC Beast and walk all over us twice a year. We will miss you Leigh Torrence, Jr. Best of luck in purgatory, aka Detroit.

Posted by: Red-skin-Joe | May 4, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Never to be heard from again...

Posted by: junkmail0153 | May 4, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

It is the Torrence Effect:

"The flapping of a wide receiver's wings in Landover can cause a Superbowl in Michigan after they pick his SJK up after he's cut."

I'm putting a shiny fifty cent piece on the Lions winning the Superbowl.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | May 4, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Now watch Marko Mitchell become a very good contributor in Detroit. Seems to be the way it works for us. Think Randle-El will be good in Pittsburgh. It is the Redskins way.

Posted by: ac1007 | May 4, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't know maybe it's because over 80% of our population is white.. and who says you have had to be a player to be qualified to work in the FO???

Posted by: sovine08 | May 4, 2010 8:28 PM |

Was 65% in 2007. Probably lower now.

Posted by: will_ga | May 4, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Sharks 4 Detroit 3

Sharks lead series 3-0

Gonna go eat some octopus

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 4, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

"See you, Marko
It is my hope this is not the Skins FO practicing "Catch and Release"

Posted by: RedskinRay"

Never put an organism through the risk of tortuous infection through something like so-called "Catch and Release"...Besides, it's better to "Grow Your Own"...

Posted by: frak | May 4, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

in shanny i trust but with a over the hill gang @ rb and wr minus unproven kelly and thomas mcnabb doesn't have the weapons he needs to lead us to the playoffs. we need to stockpile draftpicks for next year in my humble opinion. Landry is a major whiff in coverage. Rogers couldnt catch a vd in tijuana going bearback much less a football. too many holes on the o line with the exception of rabach. thinking we go 7-9 @ best this year. we have to build through the draft!!

Posted by: davetoobs146 | May 4, 2010 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 4, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Marko lined up across from Calvin Johnson is going to look good to Matt Stafford.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 5, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Was 65% in 2007. Probably lower now.

Posted by: will_ga | May 4, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Yeah well it would be more that that if not for all the ILLEGAL imigrants and all the daddys baby mamas who have kid after kid from different dads no less, sh!t is it that hard to practice safe sex??????? I guess it is, oh well, hello 40% in a couple of years.

Posted by: SkinEm1 | May 5, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

I was hopeful Marko would be good too, but would you people pull your head out of his ass already!!! He had a couple of decent plays late in preseason games. He doesn't play special teams, and apparently has had a hard time learning the playbook this year as well as last year. Maybe he will be good, but I haven't seen anything that backs it up, besides a couple of preseason TD's....Hell, Danny Wuerffel looked great in the preseason too!

Posted by: wdcdave | May 5, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

That dude Bernadino fer the Nats reminded me of one of my favorite songs-

Bobby, I'm sorry you got a head like a potata, I really am...

Posted by: frak | May 5, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: davetoobs146 | May 4, 2010 11:47 PM
---------------------------------------------
That's Last Year!......

Posted by: jcnjcnj | May 5, 2010 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Elected to his first Pro Bowl in 2010 from the Detroit Lions, Marko Mithcell WR expressed his praise for the Lions organization for giving him a chance to show what he could do. Marko Mitchell had been cut by the Washington Redskins in the beginning of pre-season of 2010. Head coach and VP for the Washington Redskins, Mike Shanahan had no comment when pressed for an answer why he was released.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | May 5, 2010 2:31 AM | Report abuse

"Good luck to Marko. Hopefully he can make the 53 man roster as a 4th or 5th WR even though he can't play special teams and apparently has an inability to learn the abbreviated introduction to our playbook."

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 4, 2010 11:58 PM

_____________________________

Hey, Loudmouth-Conclusion-Jumper,

Where did you read that he had an inability to learn the playbook? And if so, WHO, in the name of critical thinking, do you think said that? Someone with an interest in looking "smart" and "competent" perhaps?

You need to recognize that you formulate a lot of opinions based upon facts which emerge in your head, making them, in fact, NOT facts, but opinions.

I'm of the opinion that the over-hyped suits running your burgundy and gold caught a case of draft order envy.

If you buy the fact that Marko didn't play special teams, see how often Galloway is running down, making tackles in punt coverage.

By the way, here's yours back: Go Suck a Dick.

The Caps choked. I told you they would. You're an A Hole. So are your little but[sic]kissing buddies on here. I don't need affirmation to tell it how I see it. And the way I see it, you don't know jack.

(by the way, I hear from a very good source (my very own ass) that Marko Mitchell was actually let go because he's lazy, thinks slow, sleeps in, shows up late to meetings, and cannot comprehend the playbook, DESPITE making more money than my white ass will ever make. And I hate that. Which is why I like Diesel44 as my handle, because it shows how manly, strong, and white I am, just like the last white Redskin player who actually earned his paycheck.)

Stuff it up your exhaust, loudmouth.

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 5, 2010 4:09 AM | Report abuse

in the defense of landry he played out of position last year it was a team thing an he's a team player he tried but didn't like it an beside give shanny a chance its his time to make something out of this mess that vinny the ass kisser put us in an this man won two super bowls an will be better than joe gibbs second time around there is good talent on this team an i think shanny see it because i see it we dont need to rebuild all we needed was to hire a coach before the hornable jim zorn who i love an respect it was never his fault

Posted by: teresabogans | May 5, 2010 4:10 AM | Report abuse

you guys have nothing better to do???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Posted by: teresabogans | May 5, 2010 4:12 AM | Report abuse

tbog, i think you have bracketed the appropriate use of punctuation in your two posts. Nice job.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 5, 2010 4:19 AM | Report abuse

Did I forget to mention that Marko Mitchell eats fried chicken and watermelon during the special teams portion of practice?

Although he could still catch the ball better than the other receivers, even with greasy fingers, he "failed to impress" Shanahan, who prefers larger nipples and wider tushies.

Shanahan was heard to say, after watching film of Mitchell's 3 TDs, compared to Kelly's 3 dropped TDs, "He failed to impress me."

Love,

"The Diesel"
(I'm so manly, honorable, and white.)

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 5, 2010 4:20 AM | Report abuse

Wow...looks like the Lions have a thing for picking up our scraps--first Jansen, now Marko. We should see if they'll take LJ or Portis off our hands...

The more I hear about this new PR guy Wyllie, the more I like. Haven't heard a bad thing about him yet. Sounds like we got a major upgrade.

I feel a culture change out at Redskins Park. So refreshing...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 5:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ac1007 | May 4, 2010 10:26 PM

Good point. I still can't get over the way Brandon Lloyd and Adam Archuletta went to the Pro Bowl two times after we released them. We're cursed. Okay, I can get over that.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 5:44 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget LaVar's resurgence in NY and the amazing career Darnerian McCants enjoyed in Philly after he left here...

I think ac1007 is confusing the Redskins way with the Wizards way.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 5:52 AM | Report abuse

I feel a culture change out at Redskins Park. So refreshing...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 5:13 AM

I agree. I never understood how Snyder, with a background in communications, had such a bad public image. When even a gentle soul like nateinthePDX doesn't like Snyder, Snyder needs a makeover. Tony Wyllie looks like a good man for the job. Who knows? History might view George Bush much differently if Tony Wyllie had been his spokesman.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 5:55 AM | Report abuse

I think ac1007 is confusing the Redskins way with the Wizards way.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 5:52 AM

Leigh Torrence, Pearson Proileau, Chase Daniels got Super Bowl rings after we cut them. If we'd kept those guys, coulda been us. Imagine Snyder, Cerrato, Zorn, and Karl Swanson with their rings!

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 6:09 AM | Report abuse

I stopped by to take a look and will be leaving again.

You guys are still talking about a guy who had 4 catches last season, give me a break Shanny knows receivers if he thought he could play he would be here.

Discussing race here take that sh_t somewhere else.

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 5, 2010 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Right...love that line of logic.

Geez, how much longer till training camp? I'm ready to get 2010 going...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse