Posted at 12:00 PM ET, 12/21/2010

McNabb benching has Redskins playing "scared," Portis says

By Jason Reid

Stunned that Coach Mike Shanahan would bench a player as accomplished as quarterback Donovan McNabb, the Redskins are playing "scared," running back Clinton Portis said in a radio interview Tuesday.

During his weekly appearance on 106.7 The Fan's The Mike Wise Show With Holden Kushner, Portis said Shanahan's decision to demote McNabb for the final three games stirred concern in the locker room because McNabb, a six-time Pro Bowler, is among the game's most successful active quarterbacks. The sentiment in the locker room is that if Shanahan would do that to McNabb, Portis said, no one is safe.

"In the locker room, I think that [the McNabb benching] that would scare a lot of guys," Portis said. "That Donovan McNabb, who is proven to do so much, and who has done so much in the NFL, gets benched. I think it becomes a thing in the locker room like, 'Man, if they bench Donovan, anybody can be benched. Or am I next or what's next?' And I think guys start playing for safety.

"That's really been a big part of the problem around here. People start playing for safety. So it's like, 'I gotta play safe and sound, instead of going out on the limb and making plays.' It's like, 'How do you do what they say? I don't want to be outside the box. I want to do everything I possibly could to save myself.' Instead of just laying on the line. ... If they done with you, it ain't much you can do."

McNabb did everything the coaching staff asked of him, Portis said.

"Banged up and all, every day since training camp, Donovan been in that training room getting worked on," Portis said. "Hasn't missed a snap in practice, hasn't took a day off. And then all of a sudden, you get to this point, and it's like, he kind beat up and he ain't moving well, but he ain't been moving well all season long.

"The positive that came out of that was Rex got an opportunity to go out and play and show he was capable of leading the team up and down the field and guiding the team up and down the field. ... You give players a chance, but at the same time, you put so much insecurity in some players in the locker room that come to worry. And who can't take on the idea of this a game. If they gonna change, man, they gonna change. They ain't much you can do."

Portis believes some players played scared in Sunday's 33-30 loss to Dallas.

"If a guy scared in the locker room, he gonna always play scared," Portis said. "You can't go out and just let go."

By Jason Reid  | December 21, 2010; 12:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Beck has two weeks in practice to impress the boss
Next: Despite demotion, Donovan McNabb wants to come back

Comments

I love Clinton Portis and for a long time clung to the hope he would come back and give us one more glorious season, breaking the Skins' all-time running record.

But the more I hear him talk these days, the more I'm starting to anticipate the relief that will come when he's no longer on the team. Which I'm guessing will be as of next season.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 21, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

clinton can say anything he wants because he knows he won't be backnext season...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | December 21, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AdamCr | December 21, 2010 11:54 AM |

He wasn't talking about Donavan with that quote he was talking about Beck, maybe you should know what your talking about before you post.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse
--------------
I realize that, but thanks for trying to help. I just find shanahan tiresome when he acts like he's a talent evaluating genius, when some of his bigger moves haven't been so good at all. You should know what you're talking about before you post.

Posted by: AdamCr | December 21, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

At this point in the season, with their record, they should be scared. Every veteran on that team that robbed us for money and then played like they don't give a crap should be scared. I'm ready for Shanahan to clean house and start over. Find guys that care about being on this team, that don't take being in the nfl for granted. Find guys that fit his system, instead of slapping together a bunch so-called superstars. This is a very good sign of things to come in my opinion.

Posted by: n8skins | December 21, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

So they're playing "scared" now? As opposed to how they were playing before... which was what..."sucked"?

Posted by: 4-12 | December 21, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Even at the end of his career Portis still doesn't get it.

Posted by: jimwest20 | December 21, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1 = nebby

Posted by: hessone | December 21, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Interesting adjective -- scared.

Of course, it could be a reflection of the other players' standing with the team.

A lot of these guys count themselves lucky to be playing from week to week -- but also know there are few to no guarantees about their future with the team.

Besides, there's not very many high value, long term contract guys left on the roster either.

So nobody is going to go out and just let it go -- because if they do, they know they could be gone too.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 21, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Some people should never open their mouth except to eat.

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 21, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

We are all now dumber having read that.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 21, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I quit listening to Clinton Portis' opinion a long time ago.

But man -- when he's healthy -- I love to watch him play.

Posted by: smurff1 | December 21, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Portis has been a great back..but not for a few years now.
Players..."playn scared"...they should be scared of loosing their jobs. Did CP glance at the record over the last 5-6 years?
I could easily name 7-10 starters who could easily loose their jobs...in addition to CP.
He should know..bottom line is wins/losses..what you did in years past means nothing going forward.
Donovan may have been great in the locker room..but HE DID NOT GET IT DONE ON THE FIELD. HE IS DONE HERE...MOVE ON.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | December 21, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Only Portis knows what he's talking about, he's also scared himself; Ryan Torain has taken over. If you are competent in what you do, if you are well prepared to do your job, you shouldn't be scared. I bet CP is scared to his pants, he knows that $8M is not coming next year, enough said.

Posted by: abxinc | December 21, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Clinton... Torain, Armstrong, Banks, Lorenzo, Barnes, Paulsen.... those guys look real scared.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 21, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

With torrain, williams n davis does anyone think we can wait a year for a rb??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 21, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Some people should never open their mouth except to eat.

Posted by: kerzon417 | December 21, 2010 12:15 PM |
----------

then there's the prejudice people who tell others what they should and shouldn't do on a meaningless internet board

Posted by: hessone | December 21, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Well if that's how the offense plays when there scared I will take it over how they played with McNabb any day.

Portis isn't even playing so why is he running his mouth.

This million dollar players need to stop acting like biz natches and do what there told and play ball.

Portis going over his coaches head to the owner is the main reason Shanny needs to act the way he does. It's called changing 10 years of players doing what ever the f_ck they want. Marty was the only coach who did what Shanny's doing get rid of all the crap, unfortunatley Snyder fired him. Lets hope he doesn't make that mistake again.

Or trust me Vinny will be back, so the people on here everday crying about Shanny wanting him fired better hope that doesn't happen.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Time for Portis to go away also. GTFO.

Posted by: cmterpsnskins | December 21, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

With torrain, williams n davis does anyone think we can wait a year for a rb??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 21, 2010 12:27 PM
========================
With so many other needs, we can't afford to use a draft pick on a RB. Linemen and every position on Defense comes before anything else.

Foundation first. Glittery pieces later.

Posted by: smurff1 | December 21, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Foundation first. Glittery pieces later.

Posted by: smurff1 | December 21, 2010 12:31 PM |
------------

excellent piece of info. o-line and d-line first, then talent positions.

Posted by: hessone | December 21, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

We haven't had a winning team in forever. Players haven't played scared here in forever either.

Good for you Mike Shanahan!

Posted by: Black706 | December 21, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Sounds good to me smurf.

I say 2 o line. Try to trade to mid teen early twenty area n grab the first two og/c prospects.then with whatever pic we add we go best lineman available

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 21, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Playing scared seemed to work out for Jerry Rice. Seems to me a 5-9 team should be worried.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 21, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Good for you Mike Shanahan!

Posted by: Black706 | December 21, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

smurff1, you said it, man. How I wish he hadn't been beset with injuries the past few years.

But he's had so many carries and he plays so damn hard that it seems inevitable he would break down.

2,230 carries, 9,923 rushing yards, 75 rushing touchdowns... and countless "de-cleating" blocks. Love this dude.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 21, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"Man, if they bench Donovan, anybody can be benched."

That's the point! But it isn't surprising that Clinton doesn't get it. A great player on the field, but he still doesn't understand the world doesn't revolve around himself.

Posted by: skinsfever | December 21, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Playing scared?

Is that like the opposite of being paid a ridiculous amount of money, then crying to the owner if you don't agree with the coach.

This reminds me of the South Park episode, when Caesar Milan came in to train Cartman.

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 21, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

How soon can we ship this illiterate has-been out of town?

Posted by: johnfchick1 | December 21, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Any way we could put Portis' tongue on IR?

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 21, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Portis...This is what has been wrong since Portis has been here. Our players think they have the right to go out and screw up or not play well and not suffer the consequences. Now that shanny benched someone for not playing well, thats a bad thing?!?!

Earth to portis...if you dont do your job well...you get FIRED. Every player in the NFL plays for safety because they know they can be replaced in a heartbeat...
especially OLDER players.

Posted by: kickass10101 | December 21, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

No posts about Hester breaking BMitch's record?

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 21, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Now that you've mentioned it, Reid will get right on it! If he starts cutting and pasting now he might be done by dinner!

Posted by: monk811 | December 21, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan's a genius! Be brought McNabb in just to make an example out of him, and scare the team straight... brilliant!

Let's see what other division rivals we can send our high draft picks to for an over the hill has-been, and reinforce the lesson--it's not business as usual around here!

Posted by: Alan4 | December 21, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

especially OLDER players.

Posted by: kickass10101 | December 21, 2010 12:38 PM |

That goes in every buisness, I know I'm constantly scared of losing my job. That makes me work harder and I have to make sure I'm at work on time everyday sick or not.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

What a load of crap. I'm glad these dudes can see that no one is safe. Play safe and don't make plays and see where you end up. McNabb did everything they asked? You mean except learn the system, read defenses, throw accurate passes, and help win games. I bet playing safe gets you the boot.

Posted by: TheScamp75 | December 21, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

(*Disclaimer - My remarks may be off-base b/c I have not double-checked with a linguistics expert to verify WTH Clinton is actually saying *)

The problem around here is not guys playing "scared".

The problem around here has been guys who are comfy and cozy being perennial losers and loafers in practice and continuing to cash checks.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

For the previous posters who don't seem to get what CP is saying: I've never seen any pro team of any kind, play up to their capabilities because of fear of the coach. In addition to playing for fans, their salaries and their families (in no particular order) the good players play hard for the respect of their coach. And we all know that respect is a two-way street. I mentioned this two weeks ago on a previous post. No one is going to play up to their capabilities if they fear the coach or if they fear being benched or losing their jobs for making a mistake. Shanny is the right guy to be GM if we are of the belief that we should gut the team and start over. He is not the guy to coach a rebuilding team. He is arrogant, distant, a poor talent evaluator, the OC Coordinator's dad and a liar. Great characteristics for a GM, not so good as a leader of men.

Posted by: SPUD2 | December 21, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Anyone heard the McNabb radio show today? I understand that he said he didn't want to be released or traded. Any other nuggets from his show?

Posted by: TWISI | December 21, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind with Torain he literally takes up two roster spots, his and his injury replacements. You have to go back to his JUCO and HS days before he has finished a season. To say he is injury prone is an understatement.
Looks great when is though just keep in mind he has proven he cannot stay healthy.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 21, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 21, 2010 12:42 PM |

I think Shanny made a huge mistake trading for Mcnabb and he knows that. What he isn't doing is making it worse, by trying to do anything he can to make it work.

His mistake doesn't even come close to one year of Vinny mistakes, so he f_ed up and we can move on.

I know you and your buddies will cry about the picks given up for mcNabb but those are gone, maybe you would feel better with Vinny back running things.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse
-------------
I assume you're not at work now?

Posted by: AdamCr | December 21, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

As usual, I would bet there's something meaningful in what Clinton's saying, even if it's difficult to parse.

My concern is whether all the nonsense we've endured in this calendar year from The Ultimate Leader -- and what a year it's been -- will in fact translate to competence and confidence up and down the roster starting next season.

I guess I can come to grips with Rex Grossman being our starting QB at the beginning of the 2011 season... IF and only if the team demonstrates that it's serious about addressing the offensive line he plays behind.

I've got no problem with Torain and whoever else carrying the ball.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 21, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Good, sounds like the culture is finally changing.

Posted by: wireman65 | December 21, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

"McNabb did everything the coaching staff asked of him, Portis said."

Everything except improve his mechanics, improve his reads, and win.

Posted by: bestmick1 | December 21, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SPUD2 | December 21, 2010 12:44 PM |

Load of horesh_t give me a f-cking break, I will give you one name and end it.

Vince Lombardi

Every player on his team was scared to death of him don't believe me watch the special HBO did on him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2010 12:42 PM |
------------

so you can be on an internet board all day ?

hmmmmmm

Posted by: hessone | December 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Linemen and every position on Defense comes before anything else.

Posted by: smurff1 | December 21, 2010 12:31 PM

Offensive line first please.

Great offensive line makes the world go around.

Average QB/WR = Good QB/WR
Good RB/WR = Great RB/WR
Mediocre but rested defense = Very capable defense

Offensive line first, pretty please.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 21, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse
----

They have officially declared with McNabb benched that they took a bath on that trade, and they deserve criticism for that. Certainly, it is a mark against MS and BA. Having said that, I do like that the inmates are no longer running the asylum, and ALL players regardless of their reputation or contracts are being held accountable.

They seem to have the right idea with regards to dealing with a locker room that has been a disaster for ages. The question remains as to whether or not they can assess talent in order to get the right players.

They had some nice finds in AA and BB, but the McNabb deal is not a good start.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 21, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 21, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------

Because he knows he won't get the kind of money the Redskins have offered him. He knows which side his bread is buttered on. How many other 3rd string QBs are making $16 mil this season? And there's a short list for QBs making over the projected $14 mil next season. So he better shut up and come to work everyday, because he'll be lucky if he's employed if next season is a lockout.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 21, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

If u r a slacker, then you should be f'ing scared. Good. No more free-loaders.

Posted by: JoelV | December 21, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Offensive line first please.

Great offensive line makes the world go around.

Average QB/WR = Good QB/WR
Good RB/WR = Great RB/WR
Mediocre but rested defense = Very capable defense

Offensive line first, pretty please.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Co-Sign

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 21, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I just finished listening to the entire McNabb interview on the "Sports Fix"...

Here are my impressions:

1) Donovan said he "felt disrespected".
2) Said he still wants to be here next year.
3) seemed to me more peeved at all the "leaks"; wouldn't divulge where it was coming from.
4) said Shanahan sat with him Thursday afternoon and told him.

As far as Portis' comments...

Who cares?

My take...
Shanahan is the coach and can make any player decison he wants. We were 5-8 with McNabb and everyone else. Dallas is a bad team, but Rex moved the team up and down the field.

Posted by: silkydee1 | December 21, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2010 12:49 PM

Nah, and if you've read any of my previous posts, you know I think getting rid of Vinny was the best thing this team has done since rehiring Joe Gibbs.

I just don't get the Shanny worship. He hasn't earned it as a Skins coach--just like McNabb didn't earn it as a Skins QB.

People are essentially praising Shanahan for making a colossal blunder in his QB evaluation--his supposed area of expertise--and then making a dramatic show of admitting the error, because it proves "no one is safe".

You could say Vinny did the same thing with Zorn by "benching" him as the play caller half way through the season.

Not impressed.

Posted by: Alan4 | December 21, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Offensive line first please.

Great offensive line makes the world go around.

Average QB/WR = Good QB/WR
Good RB/WR = Great RB/WR
Mediocre but rested defense = Very capable defense

Offensive line first, pretty please.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Co-Sign

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 21, 2010 12:58 PM |
----------

usda approved

Posted by: hessone | December 21, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I love our new punter....

Chuck Norris.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 21, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Offensive line first, pretty please.

Posted by: PlayAction | December 21, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Co-Sign

Posted by: iH8dallas | December 21, 2010 12:58 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
You won't hear me griping if it turns out that way...

Posted by: smurff1 | December 21, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

....Alan,

I give them one positive mark when it comes to the McNabb debacle. They didn't continue to pour money into a lost pot. They recognized they were had by the Eagles, and have moved on. Now, the question is what can they recoup for McNabb, and it makes sense to sit him down so he doesn't get hurt and pummel what trade value he has.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | December 21, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

With torrain, williams n davis does anyone think we can wait a year for a rb??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 21, 2010 12:27 PM
---------------------------------------
I think we should get a RB this season..FA UFA but not draft...we need more speed in at the RB position...

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 21, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I know I've been a staunch supporter of CPo & I love mah 'Canes..

...But if anyone should be scared...

..I'm just sayin', is all....

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 21, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

beeps peeps

Posted by: hessone | December 21, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

With torrain, williams n davis does anyone think we can wait a year for a rb??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 21, 2010 12:27 PM
---------------------------------------

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 21, 2010 1:03 PM |

Why draft at the RB position? Shanny's rep for 'plugging in any RB' and having some level of success is actually holding true. I have no reason to think it won't continue that way so please, no one under 6'3" and 300+lbs. thank you.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 21, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SPUD2 | December 21, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

You're right.

We should pat all the guys on the back and give them a raise, and then apologize for "scaring" them.

God forbid.

Then on Sunday we'll motivate them by asking them "pretty please" to play like they care.

Posted by: p1funk | December 21, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

alan,

I'm not impressed with Shanny so far either, but I'm also not going to kill the guy after one year with what he walked into to.

He really screwed the pooch on the Mcnabb thing and basically admitted as much on the John Thompson show the other day.

The being tough on the players and holding them accountable is however a good thing, and maybe if the previous regime hadn't let the players do what ever they wanted he wouldn't have to waste so much time changing the culture of the guys in the locker room.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 21, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

shaun, I think it's too early to give ANY positive marks on the McNabb debacle. The best we can give right now is an "incomplete."

Posted by: Alan4 | December 21, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

It is vitally important to the players, coaches, and others closely associated with the Redskins business. To the rest of us it is just a game.

Posted by: rcycan | December 21, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

____________________________________

who cares what this bum says! The Skins have been playing scared for the last decade. Portis is a retard, He's the one to talk, he doesn't even want to get hit anymore. PORTIS IS A HAS BEEN, HE'S LIKELY GONE ANYWAY NEXT SEASON! that's he don't care if Shanahan hears what he just said, HE GONE! PORTIS THE TORTOISE!

hail to the DEADSKINS!!!

Posted by: datruth21 | December 21, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I have been a Redskins fan since 1978 and I can now say that I am please with the direction this team is headed.

Before I'm crucified...let me explain.

1) Shanahan and Allen have done well to finally exercise some finacial restraint. As bad as the talent is on this team, we are not financially committed too deeply to anyone.

2) We have a FEW, YOUNG, CHEAP pieces in place: Banks, Williams (not cheap), Orakpo, Landry, Armstrong, Torain.

3) For as bad as the McNabb trade has turned out to be, at least we are not compounding it by forcing him to be the QB he doesn't seem to be. Joe Gibbs set this franchise back a few years with his undying committment to veteran, over the hill players.

4) For the first time all season (no rex Grossman is not the future) we looked like an NFL offense.

5) As BAD as Shanahan has handled the media, I am encouraged that he doesn't seem to play favorites and there doesn't seem to be the favoritism that has been present for years.

6)For years, I listened to "fans" say they were willing to "stink" if were to get a real football front office. We have one now and it's going to require extreme patience, despite the mistakes.

7) For me, I'm wathching this offseason very closely...free agency, the draft.

SICWIDIT HAIL!

Posted by: silkydee1 | December 21, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Flounder you are missing the point. Different time, different circumstances and much different salaries. And I would argue that Lombardi was loved and respected. Respect and fear are totally different. You played hard for Lombardi because you respected him. He coached with a rough edge, and was very hard on his players, but he did not lie to them or throw them under a bus to protect his son. Surely we are not comparing Shanny to Lombardi?

Posted by: SPUD2 | December 21, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Rodney hudson

Stefan wisenwski

Orlando franklin

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | December 21, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

sounds like someone's in control, even if that someone gift wrapped high draft picks for a division rival.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 21, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

For every TD that McNabb throws, he throws 5 in the dirt with the receiver wide open. Shanahan was hired to win super bowls, and he will do it on his terms. With two under his belt right now, i seem to think that he nows a bit more about the game than anyone posting here. He will be here for another few years, like it or not, so let him scare the players, it will benefit the organization over the long run.

Posted by: skins10 | December 21, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

but there are some good RBs out there in college.

Posted by: Stu27 | December 21, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Clinton is more observant than I thought; because a lot of those overaged, overpaid underachievers have every right to be "scared" (translated to concerned) that they won't be on the Redskins' roster next season - BECAUSE THEY WON'T BE.

And Clinton should put his name right on the top of the list, as the Redskins can't afford to waste a valauable roster spot, plus a boatload of money, on someone that can only stay healthy enough to play 5-8 games a year.

Hey, Clinton, it's all about "What have you done for me lately, Baby?" The NFL doesn't add poins to the scoreboard or award wins to teams with players that use to be real good 5+ years ago.

Posted by: SkinsKen | December 21, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 21, 2010 12:45 PM

That statement justify Shanahan's action, if after his benching he's still interested in being here, I guess that's an acceptance of fact as indicated by the Shanahans of McNabb's flaws. McNabb can man up to this challenge and use this situation to his own advantage. Learn the play book, go through your progressions, and read defenses appropriately. If Grossman can do it, why can't McNabb.

Posted by: abxinc | December 21, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SPUD2 | December 21, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Maybe that's why Clinton folded into the fetal position on that "couldshouldwouldabeen" a long run in St. Louis? Like a LOT of the players who have been here for a while, they think they're better than they actually are(thx to Snyder etc). at some point, the players on the field just need to play better.

Look, Portis is the best pass protector on the team. The offense went down hill after his injuries. but just like Gilbert, we need to send Portis to handle things in Vegas(like Fredo in The Godfather)

Posted by: boricuabopper | December 21, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 21, 2010 1:03 PM |

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | December 21, 2010 1:06 PM |
--------------------------------
Why ask this question?...i didn't say draft a RB...but we need more speed at RB...

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 21, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

CP, If you never talked, no one would ever know you are stupid!

Posted by: sheldon6 | December 21, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

CP, If you never talked, no one would ever know you are stupid!

Posted by: sheldon6 | December 21, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

"I've never seen any pro team of any kind, play up to their capabilities because of fear of the coach."

Spud2 I need to ask you honestly, have you ever played any type of team sport? I'm a college student and have played football and lacrosse my entire life, and much of that time was spent fearing my coach. I know your next thought will be "you never played professional sports" and "it's different for pro athletes" but have you ever heard of a man named Bill Parcells? I'm fairly certain most of the players on his teams in the past few decades were scared of him, and he has done pretty well for himself. Fearing a coach keeps players on an even keel, and keeps them from contracting the undeserved sense of entitlement Mr. Portis obviously has.

To the Shanahan's- Bravo, keep scaring our miserable team, and maybe one day we'll have a real football team.

Posted by: jomo983 | December 21, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Allen and Shanny mis-judged how close the Skins were to being a winner. So instead of bringing in young talent they went for old men. Johnson & Parker at running back, Galloway at WR, Hicks & Brown at o-line and several old d-linemen including one who did not play a down last year. And so I am to believe they can judge talent. This will be their second draft. Shanny has been a bust.

Posted by: mdspratley | December 21, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mdspratley | December 21, 2010 1:34 PM
-----------------------------------------
exactly...Shanny has been a bust...both of them...2 Busters

Posted by: BootneyFarnsworth | December 21, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Scared? DeAngelo Hall breaking on the ball every single play allowing a TD is not playing scared.

Posted by: RuskiSi | December 21, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is living proof of the damage concussions can cause.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | December 21, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is living proof of the damage concussions can cause.

Posted by: 44fx2901 | December 21, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Portis identifies with McNabb because he's in the same boat: aging veteran trying to hang on. He's projecting his fears onto the rest of his teamates. I'd be willing to bet there are more Redskins willing to face the challenge rather than being scared.

I also saw the Lombardi documentary. Where there any instances where Lombardi "leaked" his displeasure with a player's performance to the press? Did you see the segment where Bart Starr confronted Lombardi about Vince's lambasting him before the team when Bart was expected to be the team leader? Lombardi stopped doing it. There's a difference between being demanding and gaining your team's respect.

Posted by: MD_Eagles_Fan | December 21, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Clinton did you actually talk to players and they said they were scared. I anyone is scared it was you. Scared to run upright.

McNabb was disrespected. Had he had a year to learn the offense, he would have played better. I like Rex but Rex is either on or off and cannot stay healthy a full season. Now that we don't have Albert we will need a first rate nose tackle, in addition to Qb, O-Line,RB and Wr. Where do we start.

Posted by: procurement | December 21, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

106.7 The Fan's The Mike Wise Show With Holden Kushner

That's gonna be hard to get on a t-shirt...

Posted by: sleastacks | December 21, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I wish D Hall would have played scared.

Posted by: djorl | December 21, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"I would never respect a person like Shanahan. He his just like everybody before him. Trying to get a big pay day and groom his son."

I dont recall anything like that happening before, 15 year-old Isaac Zorn coached for the skins? I didn't realize that.

Posted by: jomo983 | December 21, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

That`s it Portis, stir it up as your a$$ hits the door. You might as well throw everybody under the bus on your way out. I hope that you never get a chance to break Riggo`s record! Bye,bye.

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | December 21, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Clinton's GOT TO land a TV job somewhere. His English is so bad & his comments so unabashed that he's bound to be a hit. Don't get me wrong, I love the dude.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | December 21, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

okay, they're playing scared--beats playing like fat brats who take their million dollar paychecks and exert little effort. Farewell, fat Albert. Man up and play for your pay, guys.

Posted by: medogsbstfrnd | December 21, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Portis is right on the money. Shanahan is a jacka$$ bully. When you "manage" like that, you don't have REAL respect from your players and they will end up playing below their best. People are more likely to play it safe (other than a certain DB who plays the other way) that he hurts the team.
Snyder is such an idiot at selecting his coaches and managers (and players) that he does not know when he has made bad choices.

Personally, I would like the players to invite him to a meeting and ALL chew his arrogant rear, and Snyder should back the players.

Posted by: pjohn2 | December 21, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

GOD FORBID THAT THE DEADSKINS PLAY AS IF THEIR JOBS DEPENDED ON IT (eww thats soooo unfair, sort of like the real world where you have to perform at your job).....Portis man, your teamates suck,they need a fire under their ******* and so do you. I hope the entire team gets benched and replaced, these players have been playing like **** forever and we as fans are sick of supporting your sorry-***-overpaid-underperforming-looser-selves...win a playoff game once every decade and then open your mouth. Whining idiots, awww Shanahan is sooo mean to us, he benches us and stuff. DUDE YOU HAVNT DONE A THING IN 15 YEARS>>>>>

Posted by: jacksonalex | December 21, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Portis doesn't get it. He wants a cush job with no worries... lots of money and laid back. Dude, you're given millions to perform with confidence. Do you know how many young guys are dying to be given a chance to prove what they can do? You either have it or you don't.

Posted by: OintheSierras | December 21, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Quotes like this from Portis show that Shanahan is succeeding in changing the culture. Play as if your job depended on it. Yessss.

Posted by: OintheSierras | December 21, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Playing for safety??? Did CP see D'Angelo Hall jump that route, miss both the ball and the tackle and let the tight end in for a touchdown???

Child, please!

Posted by: adrianstewart | December 21, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Portis is right on the money!!!!

Posted by: gman54 | December 21, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I am starting to believe this whole season was meant for one reason alone, see who wants to and who doesn't want to play. I mean a lot of the defensive players we have don't fit a 3-4 def but they stuck to it. The offense the same thing. Shanahan needed this one season to see who wants to play and who doesn't. I believe this next off season will be the true test of this new "era." I think half of these players will be gone. Shannahan needed this one season to see how these players will pan out. I think he has a hit list, players who will not be back. That's the plan, I'm sure of it!

Posted by: MCermeno | December 21, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Im pretty sure Rex Grossman "Did everything the Redskins wanted him to do" as well. Including playing well on Sunday. Shanny wont put up with these comments, so Portis is cleary going kamakazzee here. Our balls are in Shannys court guys.... and so far his decisions appear to be justified.

Posted by: wewbank1 | December 21, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Working as a civil servant most of my adult life, I have never imagined how scary it must be for an NFL baller to pick up their check on pay days. Am glad Portis and Mcnabb wont have to brave their fears of snatching up those scary Redskin checks after this season. Clinton Portis, you couldnt be more out of touch!! Scared Chump, your team is 5 and 9!!!

Posted by: zimife1999 | December 21, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SPUD2 | December 21, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Listen ,i agree Mcnabb hasn't played to everyones expectations. He has been beaten down for eleven years. should of never gotten him.on that note, the defense blew three of those games not Mcnabb. haslett is aweful.i'm not a fan of 3-4.there defense was fine before. People need to remember that the skins went to the playoffs twice when gibbs returned and beat the bucs one of those years. they haven't been completely aweful for fifteen years. Snyder is the problem. he has destroyed this franchise. throwing money at over the hill players. trading away our high picks for crap. Then making horrible draft picks. We do relize that Vick could of been a skin. He would of been for P.R. !!!!

Posted by: pow131988 | December 21, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

you idiots deserve Shanny and his son. He won in Denver because he had a hall of fame QB and got lucky with a 6th round pick that turned into a superstar (Terrell Davis). He only won in Denver because mile high stadium wore out visiting clubs- they couldn't acclimate in one week. Shanny's career road record is sub .500. He's a grossly overrated coach who's clock management skills rank below most high school coaches... just look at the last couple of games.

He changed a top 10 4-3 defense into a 3-4 sieve that will set negative records this year- all because "HE" decided that a 3-4 was better. He turned Andre Carter from an end with 10 sacks last year into an out of place useless appendage this year....

Shanny wasted a year playing god with fat albert and mcnabb. Who thinks grossman is the answer- 4 TDS against a putrid cowgirl defense and 3 turnovers.... get serious.

What free agent will come here after the way McNabb was treated by Shanny? Only those interested in $, not in winning....

Keep spending money going to games and buying merchandise- Snyder learned a lesson first spoken by Ambrose Pierce over 100 years ago- "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people"... Snyder substituted "Redskin fans" and is laughing at you morons all the way to the bank.

yes, you all deserve each other.

Posted by: lumerm | December 21, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I meant bad for P.R.!!!!!!

Posted by: pow131988 | December 21, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I meant bad for P.R.!!!!!!

Posted by: pow131988 | December 21, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

N8skins...agreed. I am glad the skins have a coach that finally can admit what this team really is. A bad team that needs more than bandaids, and that big name free agent. We need a complete overhaul. Knuckleheads on here that keep bashing Shanny, have no idea what they are talking about. Getting rid of Shanny would keep this team in the same miserable loop we have been in since the 90's.

Posted by: CROSSHugger | December 21, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Yeah...players play much better when they are overpaid and have a spineless coach. Portis had some great years in Washington and would be more of a legend if he would just keep his mouth closed.

However, I do wish that MS would find a happy medium with dealing with our players too. McNabb needed to be benched, but not in the way that it happened.

Posted by: skinsfan757 | December 21, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Portis is just plain wrong- Things have been way too comfortable with the Skins so maybe playing scared would be good for a change. Everyone is playing to keep their job. Shanahan is evaluating everybody to see who is good enough to stay and who will be gone. Let's face it- some of these guys aren't good enought and will be gone next season- Stephen Heyer, Kareem Moore, Barnes, Roydell Williams to name a few....

Posted by: atmousavi | December 21, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"Actually, I've played basketball, QB, and coached, but like you, never as a pro. Never to the tune of getting paid. I coached my ship's team to the Tidewater Championship in Norfolk Va. I had players on my team that had played Juco Ball and at major Universities. When I played, I did not fear my coaches, when I coached, my players did not fear me. I respected them, they respected me. I treated them like men and they responded in kind. Now if you feared your coach in college, then that is on you. I don't have it in me to fear another man. I don't know of any Pro players that fear their coach. Perhaps you can name one or two, I can't."

I'll agree that being a respectful coach can motivate players too, and makes fear unnecessary. There are plenty of great coaches in the NFL, that are quiet, respectful, and nice to their players- Dick Vermeil and our own Joe Gibbs. However, sometimes a team can't function with that kind of coach. Our franchise has produced a tradition of under-performing, and players that except this. In my experience as an athlete, when a individual player, or entire team is not living up to their potential good coaches crack the whip. I've been yelled at countless times, and I know it's not because my coach is a mean person, but because he thinks I can do better. In this case, I believe a firm hand is what we need, to change the tradition of under performing, into something more positive.

Posted by: jomo983 | December 21, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

I know people who make $60k/year who did everything their boss asked and got laid off. McNabb was actually unable to do what his boss asked because he didn't put points on the board. He got a 3.5 million golden parachute. Somehow I do not feel sorry for him or Portis who is more talk than walk.

Posted by: mhenrikse | December 21, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I for one will be glad to see Portis' rear end leave Redskin's Park along with a lot of others. Can we please get some tacklers on this awful team? Kareem Moore, can't tackle or cover; Phillip Buchannon, can't tackle or cover; Carlos Rodgers, can't tackle or catch; McIntosh, can't tackle or cover; Reed Doughty, can't cover and can't catch you to tackle; well, you get the point. This team isn't playing scared, this team is just old and not talented. There is a perception that the Skins have talent because we go out and sign an old faded superstar every year. Let's blow this freaking team up, get young, and build a foundation here. Stop giving away draft picks. Let's build a team of real Redskins, like Orakpo and Williams.

Posted by: jfoster13 | December 21, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

What is wrong with shaking up losers?

Posted by: edeshields | December 21, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

That is EXACTLY how these players should feel! Comfort becomes complacency and no player should feel so safe that he won't be replaced on the field.

Clinton Portis's remarks speak volumes on the attitude this team had under the previous administration, and this quote is coming from the guy who would practice when HE wants and take himself out of games if he chose. ENOUGH.

Donovan McNabb has had his worst season as a QB and I support Shanahan's move. Why? I sat through our beloved Joe Gibbs keeping Marc Brunell on the field long past his expiration date. The New England Patriots have proven one thing and that is coaching is the most important factor on a football team.

Posted by: DanielNoble | December 21, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if the players are scared, but obviously most of the media is scared to death of getting Shannie and Danny upset. They all are on Danny's payroll, or hope to be.
Just watch Larry Micheal quaking in his boots when he "interviews" Shannie with softball questions, scared to death he might ask something embarassing. Or the clueless Head Cheerleader Czarniak afraid to say anything almost relevant on the off-chance her boy friend Danny is watching. Or Kevin Sheehan, too scared to even say Danny's name and twisting his opinions with every twist of the team front office. Or Sonny Jorgenson, drunkenly toeing the Shannie/Danny line at all times.
I could go on, but you get the picture.

Posted by: jos587 | December 21, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I could go on, but you get the picture.

Posted by: jos587 | December 21, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

It seems the Redskins need to hire someone to coach the players on how to think before they speak and, while they're at it, stress how to use proper grammar when speaking.

Posted by: cehunter30 | December 21, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Playing scared huh? How in blazes do you think Jimmy Johnson win all those super bowls in cow-chip town. He had em playing scared, i.e., son if you don't do as I ask then someone else will. It's very simple, you produce or move on. Sure it's a rough game but ur being payed well to go out and get maimed so keep ur insurance up to date. By old home boy Clinton's speech and rambling you can tell he went straight through school....in the front door and right out the back door. Some of the homies took their education serioiusly and some, like Clinton, well, they're just football playes only.

Posted by: norsad | December 21, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

This reader finds the article McNabb benching has Redskins playing "scared," Portis says
written by Jason Reid to be an article which finally address the players and coaching staff in there proper light.
All along this reader has said the hiring of Coach Shannahan was the right move and in turn would eventually reap benefits for the team.
Now that Coach Shannhan has everyone including the press realizing what he is actually trying to do with these players. Perhaps now you sports writers out there will begin to understand what this coach and ownership is trying to achieve.
It's difficult trying to get these over paid athletes to do their job, much less to do it in the way the current ownership and management expect it to be done. Perhaps now these players will begin to realize their duty to their craft and to their team is far more than just going through the motions and getting those huge pay days.

Posted by: jtynoble | December 21, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Portis was a great player and I loved to watch him run and blow people up blocking. But when he opens his mouth, he's dumber than a box of hammers. " The U " should be ashamed of themselves for ever letting him graduate. Portis can't spell graduate.....

Posted by: Riggo2 | December 21, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

As BAD as Shanahan has handled the media,

Posted by: silkydee1

Shanahan has not done a good job handling the media.

Are Bilicheck & the New England fans concerned about how he handles the media? They don't give a crap- they're happy their team wins. Is Bilicheck concerned about the "feelings" of his players? Of course not. He's interested in only one thing... winning.

The people crying about Shanahan need to get over it. Give the guy a chance to win and stop analyzing how the media "feels" about him and whether he has brought discomfort to the players.

The product on the field has brought plenty of discomfort to the fans over the past decade.

Do the critics of Shanahan on this site really think years of mismanagement were going to be corrected in one year? If so, you are idiots and know nothing about football. Go back to Namby Pamby Land.

Posted by: RedskinsNow | December 21, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Graduate?? ROFL

I thought you just paid or played your way out of the U.

Portis is done, gone and it's two years overdue. he's an insult to the box of hammers frankly.

Posted by: greatteamdan | December 21, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Yea man how come dey do like dat. It done make sense when a player play scared cause he done know what do. He play scared an done play good like he know he can. Coach says play like dat and he play like dat but he scared.

Posted by: pooftah2 | December 21, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Here's the deal with Nabb. Reid was limited on what he could do with the offense with Nabb. Mc5 liked to improvise a lot, and they never could get real complicated. He and Reid were very close friends, as Nabb is one of the nicest guys in the league. But I don't think Nabb is the sharpest tool in the shed. Shanny saw a pro bowl QB and thought he'd help us. When Nabb arrived, he couldn't pick up the offense and went back to his old improvisation many times. It drove the Shannys nuts. That's why the benching against Detroit. They knew Nabb couldn't run the offense in the two minute if he couldn't run it during the game. Thing is, people inside the NFL know these things. Why didn't Shanny??

Posted by: Riggo2 | December 21, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

We're not talkin' Tom Brady or Philip Rivers here. Mcnabb has struggled this year. Vick's success in his old system also casts him in a bad light. Part of rebuilding is cleaning house. The guys we've got obviously aren't getting it done. We need new guys. The best guys will win in any system. When a coach has to bend his proven successful system to fit his players, he's at a disadvantage. Shantheman continues his Quixotic search for the next John Elway. At some point either he finds him, or he's gone, because he can't get over him.

Posted by: 21stCenturyCaveman | December 21, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Playing "scared" ? Good - a team as s*&#y as the 'Skins has no business playing any other way ... Looks like the days of the diva are over at Redskin Park, which is a good thing if they hope to ever be relevant again .....

Posted by: RoidRage | December 21, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say it but the Eagles were right. McNabb is washed up. Grossman sucks and hasn't had a start in years and he comes in and leads the offense to its most productive outing of the season. What does that tell all of you?? Please save the usual stupid responses like it was the Cowboys defense or They didn't game plan for him crap. McNabb didn't get it done it's as simple as that. Most of this team hasn't gotten it done so it's a damn good thing they are scared!! It's about time!!

Posted by: skins91r | December 21, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't personally care whether or not NFL players are scared or not. It's hard to feel sorry for millionaires.

But, while I'm not into turning the players into "victims," I'm also not in Shanny's court either. Do we have to choose between adoring Shanahan and scoffing at the players or shedding tears over players' discomfort and hating Shanahan? I'm skeptical of all of these folks.

But, Shanahan, throughout his career, except for a great run he had between 1996 and 1998, has been nothing but a mediocre head football coach. Since 1999, his teams have missed the playoffs for seven out of the eleven seasons he's coached. That's something to be excited and optimistic about?

If Snyder had hired Shanahan as soon as he bought the 'Skins and Shanahan performed the same for the Redskins as he did for Denver during that same period of time, the 'Skins would have, amazingly, won FEWER playoff games than they have since Snyder bought the team.

Here's why I say this:

In 1999, Norv Turner got the Redskins a Wild Card playoff win against the Detroit Lions. That same year, Shanahan's Broncos did not qualify for the postseason.

In 2000, Mike Shanahan got his Broncos back into the playoffs after missing it the year before. The Broncos got annihilated by the Baltimore Ravens in the Wild Card game 21-3.

In 2001 and 2002, both Snyder's 'Skins and Shanahan's Broncos missed the playoffs.

In 2003, Shanahan got his Broncos back to the playoffs. They were torched by the Indianapolis Colts in the Wild Card game 41-10.

In 2004, Shanahan got the Broncos back to the Wild Card game where the Colts killed them, 49-24.

In 2005, Joe Gibbs got the 'Skins another playoff win against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. That same year, Shanahan got the Broncos his only playoff win since Elway retired but was crussed in the AFC Championship game by Pittsburgh, 34-17.

Since Mike Shanahan's single playoff win in 2005, neither his Broncos teams or his Redskins have returned to the playoffs. He missed the playoffs in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2010. Meanwhile, Joe Gibbs at least returned the 'Skins to the playoffs, to lose the Wild Card game to Seattle.

All this to say ... every Redskin fan is tired of the insanity and is hopeful of better things in the future, which is leading many fans to hope against hope that Shanahan is the answer. However, even the insanity we've had since Snyder bought the team has produced more results than Shanahan has produced since Elway retired.

Snyder and his parade of coaches have won two playoff games since 1999 and have qualified for the postseason three times. Shanahan and his wizardry has won only one playoff game since 1999 and his teams have qualified for the postseason just four times.

Not exactly something I'd want to get all enthused and hopeful about. Shanahan is still making money off the back of John Elway's legend. No reason to believe we're better off with this guy than without him.

Posted by: CommonSenseDude | December 21, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

"It's his property, it's his dog,"
"It can't be too bad of a crime."
"I know a lot of back roads that have the dog fighting if you want to go see it."

"And I mean, you put a woman and you give her a choice of 53 athletes, somebody got to be appealing to her. You know, somebody got to spark her interest, or she's gonna want somebody. I don't know what kind of woman won't, if you get to go and look at 53 men's packages ..."

***********************************

Clint the clown - a moronic quote-machine gift that just keeps on giving.

It's ironic in a way that Shanahan, who was clever enough to dump Portis on us in exchange for a HOF-bound player like Champ Bailey -

is stuck with Portis again. Probably not for long though.

Posted by: daveque | December 22, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Portis is just dating himself with his comments. Its been 5 plus years since he has been game-changing. Young NFL talent these days can both play within a system AND make big plays, they dont have to "play on a limb" or "let go", which, in most cases, would actually mean playing outside of the system.

Posted by: ncoxx002 | December 22, 2010 2:46 AM | Report abuse

Interesting discussion, as always. It's obvious that the leadership wants all new systems in place. This requires all players to "conform" initially and learn the new systems. once that is done, they can be "turned loose" and not be scared, because they will play "as one" and not individually, which has been the case here for a lot of years for some of our players. Patience is needed ... several years of it.

Posted by: OldCoach | December 22, 2010 5:21 AM | Report abuse

They all should be running scared. Look at their record.. Need I mention anymore!!!! Go Skins!

Posted by: eztiger44 | December 22, 2010 5:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | December 21, 2010 12:42 PM |

I know. The guy is an absolute genius. If Mike Shanahan steps in a pile of sh!t, don't worry. We've got thousands of idiots ready to ascribe a very intelligent reason for it. He can't lose! Biggest fraud in coaching, by far.

(We can still win, though. Blind squirrel and nut theory)

What "scares" me is a whole season of Rex Grossman. After that, going into a season with Ryan "I Felt Something Pop" Torain as our No. 1 Back "scares" me. Oh, and the 3-4. Oh, and our pathetic safeties.

But aside from that, I'm happy we have a genius for a coach. I'll trade 2 draft picks to division rivals every year if it means making a statement to scare the team in week 13 when the season is dead on a platter. Pure Genius.

Posted by: Thinker_ | December 22, 2010 6:06 AM | Report abuse

Scared?? The Shannies should be scared because Danny is still running things and if you don't think so, well...just follow the money.

Don't care who you have back there playing QB. If he isn't protected, he will under perform. Simple. Sonny said he could beat anyone if his line gave him 4 seconds to pass. Grossman was sacked 5 times! McNabb was hurried all season and because of his mobility and experience he was able to avoid some of the rush. Campbell was in the same boat. The offensive line has been the elephant in the room for years. We are still feeling the sting of Vinny and Synder. And the defense? Well that's another story! How's that 3-4 working for you!!!!!

Posted by: cjstarbuc1 | December 22, 2010 6:28 AM | Report abuse

This is where Cp is wrong shanahan has already made it clear that no one is safe so why should anyone play aggressive to the point that they are going to injure themselves and not be able to cash in the freeagency only few key players are safe on this team such as Trent williams Orakpo anthony armstrong torain and so on the question is who stays on the defense and who gets traded for draft pick and what are their values players such as mcintoshor cooley.

Posted by: rmnkevorkian | December 22, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

yaaaaaawn.

Goodbye Clinton. Your act is old.

Posted by: kone | December 22, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Portis Pockets Strait!

Posted by: rlomax67 | December 22, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Atta' BOY, Portis, denigrate the Head Coach with your prepubescent drivel. Especially after all he did for "YOU" after witnessing your worthless output this year.
Ever heard of the Ides of March? Et tu?

Posted by: burro2 | December 22, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Hey Clinton, guess what? The Dallas Cowboys played "scared" under Jimmy Johnson and won how many Super Bowls?

McNabb did everything KS wanted? I don't think so. He's frustrated MS and KS since Day-1 because he free lances too much and won't play within their system.

McNabb is an outstanding QB and a class act, but I don't think he's a fit with this team and this offense. Time to move on.....

Posted by: edgooding | December 22, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

We are all encouraged to do our best. Football is a job just like any other white collar job. The only time you need to be afraid is when you aren't doing your job or what you are asked to do. As far as football, the coach expects you to do your job, to learn your trade, to develope you skills and if you are afraid to play the game, then get out. If you aren't part of the solution then you are part of the problem. Not saying McNabb was part of the problem I have much respect for him, however, if you aren't getting the job done, then you just aren't. Just lets the player's know, if you aren't doing what you suppose to be doing them you will be on that bus. Yes it's nice to see the dancing and profiling but if you not winning, what are you doing to the other players that are playing there hearts out. Its for the love of the game. Hell pay me 12 Million and put me on the bench, I could live with that if someone else was getting us to where we need to go. It's a business and we need to be productive. Get real about it.

Posted by: thooker65 | December 22, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Why is playing scared a bad thing on a team that is 5-9???

I think that they SHOULD play scared....Spare no Sacred Cows???

Sorry Portis...I love ya but your days as a skin are done, as are moss', and also possibly Cooley's and McNabb's??

This team has to continue to get younger and see what the young guys have. I like that we have purged our roster and continue to actually evaluate our talent

Fred Davis can replace Cooley and with the # of drops Cooley has had this season I think he should be given a chance to compete for the top job.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | December 22, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

It is about time, that the players felt like they needed to perform or risk, possibly, loosing their job. A lot of the players over the last few years have been milking this cow (taking the money) and not performing. It has been happening way to long. I say it is time to loose the baggage and keep those players that has a drive to be the best, not just talk to the talk.

They need to understand, that this aint no country club.
I dont think Portis will be back, or Sellers, that cant catch most balls that hit his hands.

Go Skins!!

Posted by: carl6405 | December 22, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

We don't haver the personell for the Offense Shanahan wants to run yet, we don't have the personell for the 3-4 defense Haslett wants to run. Its going to take time. McNabb, who I respect, has moments of brilliance followed by bouts of mediocrity. If players play scared of for safety as Portis contends, they will be out of a job. This game is about heart... Shanahan is finding out who has it. We have a couple of more years til Shanahanwill have the team he is after.

Posted by: dwdave67 | December 22, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

There is no tenure system in the NFL. I could be wrong, but I don't believe any player has ever been offered a contract with a lifetime starter guarantee. At this level, even the backups are among the top 1% of football players in the world. I'm not sure playing "scared" is the word, but I'd hope every starter plays with an awareness that he has to earn that status each and every week.

Posted by: warren85 | December 22, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Team Didn't Make The Playoffs
(Sung to the tune of "We Didn't Start The Fire")

John Elway Terrell Davis
Alex Gibbs and Barney Chavous
The Broncos of the late ninetees
Got two Super Bowl victories

Since then when I was in my prime
I've missed the playoffs seven times
My teams have wound up in a bind
But I am still a mastermind!

Team Didn't Make The Playoffs
I've got an awesome scheme that didn't help my team, no no
Team Didn't Make The Playoffs
I have a proven system that did not assist them, no

In ninety-nine, John Elway quit
Playoffs came, we weren't in it
The next year we made the Wild Card
The Ravens beat us down real hard

In '01 we went eight and eight
The team was bad but I'm still great
In '02 we won one game more
But the playoffs were not in store!

Team Didn't Make The Playoffs
Because the quarterbacking has been really lacking, yeah
Team Didn't Make The Playoffs
No need to be in fear, team will improve next year, oh yeah

In '03 we made the sixth seed
Lost Wild Card, never had the lead
The next year, sixth seed spot again
We came, we played but did not win

In '05, they got my system right
They finally won a playoff fight
First playoff victory in six years
But then the Steelers came and kicked our rears

In '06, seven and '08
The team just did not do all that great
When postseason time came due
We watched on TV just like you

Now I'm in DC and am in charge
Our win total is not that large
But don't question me or make a fuss
Don't you know I am a genius?

Team Didn't Make The Playoffs
Recent stats are low but I've got rings from twelve years ago
Team Didn't Make The Playoffs
I'll show no humility in the Capitol City, no

Posted by: CommonSenseDude | December 23, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I read these posts and comments daily and what it appears that is either forgotten or disregarded is this....this team has been a disgrace and failed on all levels for years and I even mean going back to Gibbs 2.0 because he couldn't really totally identify with today's athletes. There has been brewing for a long time now, meaning players come in here with hefty contracts, get to play buddy with the owner, bypass coaches and now since it appears that MS is changing the players are having an issue, WELL DUH!!! Face it Haynesworth doesn't care about Football, he cared about being the richest player at his position! Andy Reid traded McNabb here cause he knew McNabb was done! Shannahan brings in Joey Galloway who has and had no explosion or speed anymore and it took him how many weeks to cut him? I mean Shannahan is an arrogant little man I get that but the fact remains that he has inherited all these problems and the one problem he brought in, meaning McNabb he has made a decision to get rid of him. Face it, it's going to take at the very least 2-3 years until the roster is purged and Shanny type players are brought in. So it is what it is, and Portis best days are behind him so he needs to make arrangements cause he isn't going to be here next year anyway so since he can't get another big contract the spoiled athlete is going to piss in Shanny's Cornflakes, let's not forget Shanny saw the type of person Portis was at the beginning he isn't going to tolerate his old used up legs, his inability to stay healthy or his mouth now.........

Posted by: RussPenmanIII | December 23, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse