Starters will get more playing time against Ravens

Before the preseason opener, Coach Mike Shanahan said quarterback Donovan McNabb would play a maximum of 18 plays. He was on the field for 17.

The team plays host to the Baltimore Ravens on Saturday night at FedEx Field, and Shanahan plans to increase the workload for McNabb and the rest of the starters.

"Usually in the second game, I'm in that 30-play area," Shanahan said. "At all the different positions, somewhere in that 30 to 35 [plays], same with the second-team or the third-team. At different positions we will throw them in there and see how it plays out. "It all depends on how many plays there are in the game. So sometimes it fluctuates here and there. We had 44 plays in the first half last week. That's not typical that you have so many plays, so sometimes it will change."

By Jason Reid  |  August 20, 2010; 9:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Devin Thomas making progress, eager to do more
Next: Coach, players welcome regular practice routine

Comments

Just keep the FIRST team healthy...that's all I ask...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Putting Furrey on the IR opens a roster spot. Does anyone think the Redskins will fill it? Could the team bring in another receiver?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

breaking news redskins let shawn andrews get away he signs with the g- men but we will be ok

Posted by: robertg238 | August 20, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Definite cosign

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | August 20, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Essentially one paragraph (and a quote at that)...JR must be on Friday cruise control...well I know I am.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 20, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

First cuts are looming. His placement on IR means we can keep one of the guys that would have been cut for a little bit longer.

Posted by: psps23 | August 20, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

RSH, I hope it's OLine....

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

RSH, if I'm not mistaken, putting a guy on IR doesn't count toward your final 53 but it doesn't free up a spot now when the roster is at 80. Could be wrong on that...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 20, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Is Sept 1st the first cut date? Down to 75 players?

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 20, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

I hate to bring up the subject..but this cat and mouse game Shanny and AH are involved in....where does it end?? I have a hard time seeing Haynesworth starting unless something changes soon. My guess is by Sept. 12th he will be traded or still 2nd string. I just don't see Shanny caving in on this one - regardless of who the player is. SOMEBODY is going to flinch first or he's gone!

Posted by: scottmando | August 20, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Is Sept 1st the first cut date? Down to 75 players?

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 20, 2010 9:34 AM |

First cut is 8/31, 75 players

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Is Sept 1st the first cut date? Down to 75 players?

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 20, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------

August 31st, apparently

NFL Calendar

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 20, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

My bad, I didn't realize first cuts were still 10 days away. Not sure if it's worth it to add a body for 10 days though. Seems like it would be an exercise in futility for whoever would be added to the roster.

Posted by: psps23 | August 20, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scottmando | August 20, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse
------------------------------

Add another screen name to Jason Reid's repertoire.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 20, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I love how the Cowpukes' O-line is as weak as Michael Irvin's self-control when there is crack in the room.

Doug Free is going to pay.

So is Romo.

Haynesworth should be licking his chops rather than bailing on practice after a hangover.

Orakpo will outshine DeMarcus Ware in the opener.

BOOK IT.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

August 31 — Roster cutdown to maximum of 75 players.
September 2 – The NFL preseason ends.
September 4 — Roster cutdown to maximum of 53 players.
September 6 — NFL teams can sign up to 8 players to their practice squad.
September 9-13 — 2010 Kickoff Weekend.
The Sunday night (9/12) primetime game will feature a division match-up as the Dallas Cowboys host the Washington Redskins (NBC, 8:30 p.m. ET

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 20, 2010 9:42 AM

Two chances: slim and none. Slim is always better than none. They'll add someone they'd like to take a look at.

Posted by: beep-beep | August 20, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

mhessone & mattsoundworld - Great, thanks

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 20, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

smdh @ all the wide eyed geeks who have filled out no less than 10 forms to enter in the "I wanna ba a RI thread author" sweepstakes.

Even skimmed thru and landed om a comment in which one bama fancied himself as politician running for office.

I just ask that once this guy is named "head honcho of the hamsters" that he continue to enforce the blockage of the 'N' word. Because white, black, whatever brownwood26 calls himself (Cherokee Vulcan?), black ghetto trash, or a shamed spineless dooshbag Uncle Tom -- no one wants to be called the 'N' word.

Nobody.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 20, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

The NFL needs to take a serious look into expanding the regular season roster to 60 players......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 20, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

D A L L A S S U C K S ! ! ! !

Ol' JJ, he rolled the bones with a decrepit OL and looks like he's going to lose that gamble big-time. Reminds me of some of Vinny's "genius" moves. Now the Cowturds are heading into the regular season their RT having knee surgery, a 4th-round draft pick at LT, and their LG having a sprained MCL. Jason Campbell can tell you what happens when your OL gets old all at once, and you haven't stocked up draft picks.

Mr. Romo, meet Mr. Orakpo. He'll be here all night, although you might not be.

I'm looking forward to seeing the first team in for about a half. Things to watch:

1 - the running game. Andy Reid could never commit to running the football, nor did he ever put together a line that was capable of it. Shanahanaman looks like he's done both. We'll see against one of the better run defenses Saturday night.

2 - McNabb's accuracy. Is he the kind of QB that can hand it off a bunch, but make the throws when he isn't "in a rhythm"? Aikman was great at that.

3 - Davis and Thomas. Cooley made a heck of a catch last week for a big gain. Let's see if Sleepy can beat B-mores safeties.

And of course, the defense. Will AH do anything besides stand in one place? Can Orakpo beat Oher? Has Zoron confused Joe Flacco yet?

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 20, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

hessone -- Washington hosts Dallas Sept 12. At least that's what my ticket says.

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 20, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

The Post, Reid and Steinberg give us more attention than any other city out there. Yet all you can do is complain about it. Get a grip.. you are using the forum that they provide to complain about them!

That's a complete dick move. Get a life.

Posted by: jspin77 | August 20, 2010 9:33 AM |

We're not complaining about the forum, we're concerned that we'll get another AH thread, that's all.

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 20, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------

With the CBA impasse, I see that as highly unlikely. The 53 players currently want a bigger piece of the pie, and I doubt they are going to want to dilute their potential gains by inviting more mouths to feed.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 20, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 20, 2010 9:50 AM

I'll bring it up at the next owners meeting Beanie

Oh...and what is the N word? If it is what i think it is...don't think I've ever been called that...not yet anyway.

Posted by: PlayAction | August 20, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 20, 2010 9:42 AM

Anyone they add at this point will have missed all of the OTA’s and minicamps, and we can’t have that. There won’t be any “chemistry” with the rest of the team. Simply can’t have that (even if they are really good and could make the team)……if they bring anyone else in now we should all yell and scream to cut him immediately, even before the first cut down date. And god forbid they sign someone who might have had a hammy pull recently.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 20, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

^Noob

Posted by: RedDMV | August 20, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, they already have a hammy-puller on the roster.

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 20, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 20, 2010 9:54 AM |

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 9:46 AM |

That's what I posted, unless I'm losing my senility, in which I've forgot if I did or not.

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 9:22 AM

This late in the preseason before the first cuts, the only position I would consider adding to is long snapper (although I think they just did...).

Adding a player at any other position who is not a vet that is really familiar with the system we are running here (i.e. played for Haslett or Shanny/Jr. recently) would be a disruption for the coaches and other hopefulls as they rush to get him up to speed.

Personally, I think it's just one less guy to cut soon.

Posted by: edvar | August 20, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

For those of you that might not "know" me, that post was sarcastic.....

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 20, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm tired of:

* Preseason Talk
* Haynesworth Pettiness
* Bloggers trying to gain notariaty by writing stupid ish that doesn't really contribute.

I'll be in a better mood when there is something worth wild to talk about.....so far this is a boring training camp....which also means we're going to have a great team this year...So carry on..

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Well hessone, you have lost your senility. I am sorry to have to be the one that tells you this.

you posted Dallas hosts Washington, when in fact it's the other way around.

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 20, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

you posted Dallas hosts Washington, when in fact it's the other way around.

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 20, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Red, I've been on here for 3 years and I've never seen the N word once. Was there a time when it was up here?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

This should shut one particular poster up:

Morning surprise: Giants pick up Shawn Andrews
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 20, 2010 8:55 AM ET
The most talented free agent available at any position has found a surprising home.

The Giants announced they signed former Eagles guard Shawn Andrews on Friday morning, while waiving offensive lineman Cliff Louis in the process. We're going to assume Andrews wasn't picked up to solve the Giants' quarterback shortage.

Andrews has serious physical and mental health questions -- he's played two games in the last two years because of back problems and has suffered from depression -- but it's not like there are many 27-year-old two time Pro Bowlers just sitting out there on the market. He's a relatively low-risk and high reward pickup.

Andrews seems unlikely to start right away, but his presence will shake up what had been an extremely stable offensive line the last few years.

That was already set to change. New York used William Beatty at tackle with David Diehl moving inside to guard on Monday night; Andrews gives them more options.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

The headline should read, 'Starters to Get Exposed Against Ravens'. LMAO!!

I see the excuse-makers are already at it: 'Ravens should win because they're jealous of the Redskins and will play extra hard.' or 'Ravens are treating this like it's the Super Bowl and they'll game-plan and everything.' Are you kidding me? The Ravens starters will whip the Deadskins starters because they're better!!

The preemptive Deadskins apologists should stop trying to provide a soft landing for your fellow Cadaver followers. Tell 'em the truth - y'all have a team comprised of duds! LMAO!

Won't be any more Super Bowl talk from Cadaver fans after the Ravens do what they do. I guarantee you that. You think it smells like a skunk den on the board now? Just wait until the blind believers go into overdrive after this one, flatulently billowing their excuses all over Deadskins Insider! LMAO!

It's Friday in Texas and I'm in a good mood. So I won't talk any trash.

Why are y'all so funny to me?

Hell
To
The
Deadskins!

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 20, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 10:05 AM

If being a "noob" means that I never have any clue wtf red is talking about...then I am the "Noob of the Year"! Where may I accept my award?

Posted by: PlayAction | August 20, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know of any Skins bars in southern Orange County? I need to find one. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 20, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm tired of:

Who ever Lady Gaga is.

Politics in general.

The Khardashian sisters.

The Tampa Rays.

Keith Olberman

Soledad O'Brien

Glenn Beck

August heat.

Cris Carter

The sorry pop music I hear from time to time.

The illegal immigrant debate.

Flooding in Pakistan--where ever that is.

bp jokes

and, finally, "Bloggers trying to gain notoriaty by writing stupid-ish that doesn't really contribute."

I'm very upset that I do that too much, too.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm tired of:

MrIrvin88

Yup, that's it. Can't think of anything else.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 20, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

"Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 20, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse"

What player is good enough to make this team that isn't already on another team's 80-man roster?

Two-a-days are done. Practices are returning to normal. As it is, there's 79 players on the roster, not many injuries, and only so many reps to go around. Some of our players didn't even play against the Bills, despite being fully healthy and able.

I agree with edvar. If they add anybody, it will be a specialty player like a long snapper. Otherwise, they'll just move forward with the current roster makeup until cuts.

Posted by: psps23 | August 20, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

NNnnnnneeeeewwwwwb.... lmao.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

you posted Dallas hosts Washington, when in fact it's the other way around.

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 20, 2010 10:05 AM |

Not so, my man. I did a cut / paste job, so whatever was on that page, I referred to everyone else. The sinility comes with not editing my post.

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 20, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse
---------------------------

Who? Exactly. Don't feed the troll

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 20, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Everyone needs to stop being mean and calling other posters names! We used to have great football conversation on here, now everyone just hates each other!! It's okay to hate the cowgirls, but Skins fans hating other Skins fans??!! Come on now...

Posted by: rachel216 | August 20, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

"The Redskins' best first-team unit should include Thomas."

How the hella does JReid know what the best first-team is? Shanahan has put DT third-string because obviously he's not one of the best two receivers on the team. JReid can be such a meat rider with a dude that will give him interviews.

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 20, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 20, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Could always add a punter or kicker considering we only have 1 at each position. Not saying they will fawk up this week but I'm just sayin'...

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 20, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I'm tired of:

Arguing with other posters

Brokeback Ballsack fans that can't find Texas on a map

The Albert Haynesworth saga

Rap music that all sounds the same

Bad new metal

Nancy Pelosi and her huge personal jet that we pay $68,000 a week to fuel

Dooshbag "activists" complaining about social responsibilty while 3 homeless people sit begging less than 100 yards away

Flooding in Iowa

And bloggers that think they are the grammar police

there's probably a lot more

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 20, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Moe, when you mention the Kardashian sisters, surely you mean when they talk. I don't know about you, but I'd f*ck Kim Kardashian all day if she'd just not talk...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 20, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"We used to have great football conversation on here, now everyone just hates each other!"

I agree.

I suggest we save our hatred for illegal aliens and racial minorities so we conform to the practices of most Arizonians.

And to contribute to this effort, the next I see gimmiesummoe, I'll call him the N-word to show you just how serious I am about this.

Hatred, after all, is the American way.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | August 20, 2010 10:22 AM |

I agree Dooshy McDoosh!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | August 20, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld

That was my first and ONLY troll feeding. Had to get it out of my system, it was eating me alive.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | August 20, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

BigFatStupidIrving

Who the SJK are you talking to?!

I'm picturing you having imaginary conversations on those kids' plastic phones.

No one up in here talks like that.

You really are the quintiscential SJKclown.

Go Die.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Moe -

Olberman is still on MSNBC? He was so 3 years ago.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 20, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

brownie,

How's about WHILE she's talking?! huhuhuhuh

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | August 20, 2010 10:22 AM
------------------------------------------
Well, I don't hate other Skins fans. I admit, there have been some trying times with the Jason Campbell backers and the AH defenders, but we all sit on the same side come game day.

Having said that, I don't feel inhibited to jump on the WaPO hatin'. Is this "Blog by the Bloggers" thing just a scream? They've finally figured out a way to keep their journalists from doing any work at all. Not that they weren't just recycling posts from other sources and spouting out AH gossip all the live long day, but I think this is just one step beyond lazy.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 20, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

lol@ Rach (in a good way)

When did us Hamsters NOT tussle?! Remember SIGN CHRIS COOLEY? lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 20, 2010 10:30 AM |

Just freakin hilarious Dik. Happy Friday everyone !

Posted by: hessone | August 20, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

beep-beep

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 20, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrIrvin88 | August 20, 2010 10:07 AM

The only person offering up excuses is you, Crackpipe. What happened to the Cowboys O-line against the Raiders? Dallas plays the Chargers tomorrow so you can expect us to give you hell upon your return to the board. No excuses.

Posted by: tgif11 | August 20, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm tired of:

- Bloggers trying to bully other bloggers into not posting just because they have a different opinion.
- Bloggers that try to bully other bloggers by trying to make up rules for the blog, like they own it. I say we make it a rule that they can't post here anymo... oh wait a minute.
- Bloggers who try to hijack this blog with political posts - especially the ones that bait fights...
- Same for religion, race and the environment for that matter. T'is a football blog for the Redskins in case you didn't notice.
- And more than anything, I'm tired of watching the playoffs without enough Burgundy and Gold representation. (I'm hoping to scratch this one off the list soon.) HAIL!

Posted by: edvar | August 20, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Besides the fact that SD is asking for too much in trade for V. Jackson, there are more issues to consider.

The first being his personal asking price. He wants to be paid top dollar for his position, similar to what B. Marshall is being paid. While certainly a good receiver, I don't think his play has justified that big of a payday. Because of the CBA uncertainty, owners are extremely reluctant to hand out those kind of contracts this year, even for the MOST proven players. Just ask P. Manning and T. Brady. Jackson is one of the only players in the league who hasn't figured that out, and I think that should be a warning sign in itself.

His three Game suspension for this year also limits his potential ability to contribute this season. If we trade for him now, he would only have a short time to learn our system. Considering that our west coast offense is considerably different to the system Norv Turner runs in SD, that is no easy feat. He then would have to serve the suspension. During which time he would not be permitted to practice with the team. It would likely take yet a few more weeks into the season to get comfortable in the offense, and to develop a rapport and good timing with McNabb.

The likelyhood of a lockout next season is large. This would make for two consecutive seasons where Jackson would not be playng for a full 16 games. This makes his salary demands even more unpalatable.

Also, Jackson is only one off field mistake away from a long term suspension.

To me, these costs and risks put his value in serious question. I say don't take the gamble. Give the young guys we have the chance to show that they deserve to NFL players. If that doesn't work out, there is a good chance that we could land Jackson as a free agent next year WITHOUT having to give up any draft picks.

Posted by: kaasmaster | August 20, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

It's Friday in Dallas, shouldn't MrIrvin be preparing for the Hoe Down?

Posted by: VegasJim | August 20, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

The headline should read, 'Starters to Get Exposed Against Ravens'. LMAO!!

It's Friday in Texas and I'm in a good mood. So I won't talk any trash.

Why are y'all so funny to me?

Hell
To
The
Deadskins!

This coming from a guy who roots for a team who lost to Oakland, get out of here and go hang with your fellow losers.

Posted by: SkinsFan771 | August 20, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I believe he said around 30 plays but not to quote him on that. I'm sure that was a harmless omission...just sayin'.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | August 20, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I read all te blogs here. If the WP takes this site down, we will no why. Go Skins.

Posted by: GHALL4 | August 20, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GHALL4 | August 20, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Somebody just kick the ball, this armchair
shtuff tires me. Coach, I"ve got a headache.

Posted by: gerling3 | August 20, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gerling3 | August 20, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

would these inbred maggots stop cracking on the cowboys and talk about the redskins problems and topics. they are not even mentioned in a single discussion for winning the division and maybe one guy has them in the playoffs. they have to beat Detroit for crying out loud. we have bob marley on the helmet, 3 guys that make irvin look like dexter manley on the legal scene, and new schemes on both sides of the ball that the JETS will work like Bobby Brown's girlfriend. BOOK IT son of Palin.

Posted by: doyouktt | August 21, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

MrIrvin88 = Cowboy Nutlicker!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | August 21, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse