McNabb, Redskins stay focused despite report about unnamed teammate

Redskins players reacted in different ways to news that one of their teammates has been implicated in the drug case involving a Canadian doctor.

Some, like Phillip Daniels, took offense to the alleged actions of an unnamed teammate. Others, such as Santana Moss, did not want to discuss the subject at all.

And then there's quarterback Donovan McNabb, who managed to bring a bit of levity to the matter.

"I don't pay too much attention to that. Why? Was my name mentioned?" McNabb joked Wednesday. "You know, I've been recently losing weight."

McNabb doesn't want to get too caught up in an issue that currently lacks many details. If a player is eventually named and a suspension is handed down, players will deal with that when and if it's appropriate.

"One thing you do is just continue to stay focused on our goal, and our goal is obviously to be prepared for the first game of the year and continue to hit this thing running and hopefully find ourselves in Dallas," McNabb said.

The team completed its first set of organized team activity practices Wednesday. McNabb said he's pleased with the progress he's seen.

"I feel great. Everything is kind of coming along when you're in a new system, obviously a new staff and a new approach, patience is key," McNabb said.

Patience, sure, but also a lot of study time. The Redskins will run a version of the West Coast offense but it's hardly identical to what McNabb has run in Philadelphia the past decade.

"I've been putting my head in the book and grinding, kind of quizzing myself, watching film and taking film home," he said. "Just trying to learn more and more as this thing continues on. I'm beginning to get more comfortable seeing the concepts our coordinators and obviously Mike come up with, so that makes it a lot easier."

McNabb has now practiced with the Redskins through two minicamps and three OTAs. The team will reconvene next week for three more OTAs.

"We made a lot of progress. We're not where we want to be exactly, I think," McNabb said. "But at this point, you can definitely see that this team is going to continue to grow."

By Rick Maese  |  May 19, 2010; 3:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins gaining speed in learning Mike Shanahan's system
Next: Vonnie Holliday, linemen take on different role in Shanahan's defense

Comments

McNAbb...The people everyone doubted would be here....EXCEPT FOR ME...

got nothing else...these OTA updates are boring....See y'all tomm

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Why are they being evasive about this - we know its Albert - How else could he maintain that god like body?

Posted by: junkmail0153 | May 19, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

That's right...if we don;'t share Red's opinion on the matter it's because we are all caught up in the hype.

Posted by: p1funk

No, more like if you can't think for yourself and have to rely on what's popular at the time, then yes, you're caught up in the hype.

Yes, p1, stats aren't that important when taking them from college and how they'll equate to the professional ranks.

I thought you knew that, but obviously I overestimated you.

The sentiment that OSU had more talent than KU may have something to do with, gee I don't know... WIN/LOSS RECORD!

OSU: 29-8
KU: 35-3

And way to twist my words. I never said that Turner was a "triple-threat scorer", I believe I just said triple threat, as in Shoot, pass, and dribble.

Good to see that you've been taking notes from brownwood26's school of argument on how to twist and spin words so they'll fit your own argument.

He'll be proud.

But keep on chugging down that spoon fed media hype if you like.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I have no doubt the name of the unidentified player who was getting treating by the HGH doctor will come out at some point.

Poll question:

If you're the player, do you tell Mike Shanahan about it now?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 19, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I like what AC99 said, "This is the NFL, they're going to find you."

If you're a pro athlete and you do use an illegal substance, you are either.

1. Really brave
2. Really stupid

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I wish I shared your's and AC's confidence in the investigative capabilities of the NFL and other professional leagues. The relatively-small number of pro athletes who get caught juicing leads me to believe that one of two things is true: either the actual number who cheat is also small, or a lot of guys are doing it and are not getting caught. The existence of "designer drugs" that there are not even tests for yet, and the large monetary incentive to cheat leads me to believe that the latter is true.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 19, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

If you're the player, do you tell Mike Shanahan about it now?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 19, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely, that way he's not blind sided and they can come up with some sort of plan on how to react.

Posted by: Devo2 | May 19, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

If you're the player, do you tell Mike Shanahan about it now?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 19, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------

Has anyone done their homework to find out who fits the bill?

Who has been here from 2007 to present? Potentially with an injury history?

Rocky Mac?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | May 19, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

McNAbb...The people everyone doubted would be here....EXCEPT FOR ME...

Posted by: 4thFloor |

You force me to chime in when you make ridiculous statements like this. SO you have like 5 strikeouts, you finally hit a homerun, and you want to gloat about it? How about your awesome statement that Cushing should of been picked instead of Orakpo? Or how about your way off comparison of the Falcons O line a couple of yrs ago (when you didn't even know what the personnel was) to the Skins O line of this past year? Or maybe your "Mock Draft" of Spiller going 4th overall to the Skins even though Shanny has never needed to draft someone that high for his running game? Please stop, I hate it when you make me come on here to regulate.

Posted by: ga8085 | May 19, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

If you're the player, do you tell Mike Shanahan about it now?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 19, 2010 4:18 PM

Shanahan, BA, Snyder, and the LearnedHand look alike ALREADY know....Come on People.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"Zirin: I spoke to an NFL owner who said the owners will always win against the players because players, even though they make a lot of money, live pay check to pay check. What do you think when you hear something like that?"

Wow. Now that's how you handle labor talks.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

The owners didn't win during the last negotiation, the players did. That's why the owners opted out.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 19, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

It was Col. Mustard, in the ballroom, with the candlestick.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

and the LearnedHand look alike

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 4:27 PM

Who would that be?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ga8085 | May 19, 2010 4:26 PM

Are you theTruth11? Because you are my favorite hater....I was just F'ing around man.....It's boring up here and I knew I would stir the hornest nest....thanks for taking the bait....I'm the Mark McGuire of the game baby....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Poll question:

If you're the player, do you tell Mike Shanahan about it now?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 19, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse
__________

Absolutely not. The player may have committed a crime here, and his doctor is about to be hauled into federal court. He needs to protect himself from indictment, and the first and best way to do that is to not talk to anyone about it. An admission of HGH possession and use (and whatever else is there) to Shanny could come back to haunt the player later.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 19, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

If you're the player, do you tell Mike Shanahan about it now?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 19, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2

That is the ethical thing to do ... but what is the benefit to the player?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 19, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I saw a rumor somewhere that Santana was one of the names. Wonder if that's why he didn't want to discuss it at all.

Time will tell...

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 19, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

lol @ Red for boosting up Evan Turner for losing more games than John Wall in college.

Here's the gist of the "media hype" (aka scouting reports) on both prospects:

Evan Turner - Very good at everything, not great at anything. Can shoot, handle, pass, drive, has size, and is a good athlete. Haven't heard much about his character. Most common comparison: Brandon Roy.

John Wall - Explosive athleticism, good size for a PG, outstanding speed with the ball, handle, and court vision. He has an outstanding ability to penetrate and get to the rim and is excellent in transition. Good mid-range shooter, poor outside shooter. Described as "hyper-competitive" and "gym rat". Most common comparison: Derrick Rose.

Sure, I'd take either, but I think there's a reason Wall is the near-consensus #1 overall. His one weakness - outside shot - is one of the most improvable aspects of any player's game. He wins, he competes, he's smart (3.5 GPA), he's athletic, and he has a lot of the more 'uncoachable' aspects of the game down (court vision, awareness, intangibles).

Posted by: psps23 | May 19, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Fletcher
Wilson
McIntosh
Rogers
Landry

Posted by: mattsoundworld | May 19, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I just want to know if the Dr. came to the players house and injected something in his a$$.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 19, 2010 4:30 PM

Give me an example of how the players won? Is it at all possible the owners won but still moved to re-open to gain more concessions?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Blood Spinning.... It's so hot right now.

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | May 19, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse
Players win in that they get paid millions of dollars to play a game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

John Wall still sucks

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 4:39 PM

Where's his facial hair? You know you can't trust a brotha with no 'stache. LOL.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse
Players win in that they get paid millions of dollars to play a game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse
______

The players lost on the big picture issue by agreeing to a hard salary cap years ago. That's why their salaries are so much less, on average, than NBA and MLB players, despite the profit margins of the teams in each respective league. Almost every other issue is secondary.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 19, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 19, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse
Boo-hoo

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 19, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse
Boo-hoo

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 19, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse
____________

I don't disagree with you - after all, it's perceived as a group of millionaires fighting with a group of billionaires, and that doesn't exactly register very high on the public sympathy scale. I'm just sayin', though, that, as a factual matter, the NFL players union hasn't been as good to the players as that of MLB and the NBA. And most rookies and young players only make the NFL minimum, which is around $300K to $400K per season (at least something like that). While that's certainly alot of money and more than 99% of the American public make, two, three, or four years of that isn't going to really set them up for life. For the owners, it's a flat out business negotiation, which those type of guys do every day, and I can understand that position as well. So I guess I see both sides of the debate.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 19, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 4:50 PM

LOL...That's my ish...He one of my favs...The funnything is, The Rasta in that joint was at my show the very next year was pressed to sit in the front...He was like 5 rows in front of me and wify. We got plenty of Facetime when that joint was on Starz. And we was on the funniest show, with Mickael Blackson....

This that joint I was at...MUST WATCH...The thing is, he was on for almost 30 minutes and it was all funny, but they condensed it to less to 10 mins for TV...

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 19, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Here are two examples. First, under the current CBA, the players get, if memory serves me correctly, 55% of designated gross revenues. This is, I believe, a higher percentage than they got under any previous CBA. Second, the mechanisms that actually allow teams to spend more in a given year on player salaries than the salary cap were maintained (primarily the practice that allows teams to pro-rate signing bonuses over the life of a contract). Restraining these "costs over cap" was an issue during the previous negotiations, and I believe that the owners who complained about the agreement at the time that it was ratified, and are complaining now, think that the current CBA does not effectively address these costs. But the bottom line for me is that, if the current deal was working so well for the owners, why would they want out a year early? I'm sure that they do want "more concessions," but I think that they would have waited another year for that if they perceived the current deal as being in their favor.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 19, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Ugh @ psps23, for adopting the common theme today, which would be to take someones words and mold them to back their argument.

p1 made the following statement: "What makes you think that Evan Turner played with less talent around him at OSU. Would it be BECAUSE THEIR STATS AREN'T AS IMPRESSIVE AS THE STATS FROM OTHER KENTUCKY PLAYERS??"

That's when I suggested that STATS has nothing to do with it but WINS/LOSSES do... you know, basketball being a TEAM SPORT and everything.

I was using the fact that UK had more wins than OSU which would more than likely suggest that UK was a better overall team, further suggesting that UK is a more talented team.

**face-palm while smdh @ the multi-platinum spin artist**

So far psps23 it's you p1funk and brownwood26. Get two more bamas and y'all can be the The Five Heartbeats. Tough to decide on who'll be the 'Eddie Kane' of the group because all three of y'all are incorrigible.

Peace, love and nappiness, folks..

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

The owners are going to get paid by the networks next year whether or not the season is played. That's gross revenue that won't be shared with the players. Sounds like a win to me.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 19, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

**face-palm while smdh @ the multi-platinum spin artist**

Peace, love and nappiness, folks..

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Win/loss record would only be an accurate comparison as you suggest if they played the same teams. You are comparing apples to oranges

Posted by: rupertpupkin | May 19, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1

$4billion according to the story -- out of $9billion annual revenues. Sounds pretty substantial insurance to me. Was pretty surprised to see the NFL is run as a non-profit.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 19, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

What's the big deal with the roid's? Is this shocking? They'll find out,he'll get tossed for awhile and it'll blow over. Big deal.

Posted by: ridgely1 | May 19, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | May 19, 2010 4:14 PM

Maybe the classes for your school of verbally assaulting everyone who doesn't agree with your opinion verbatim was all filled up. Perhaps your other course on talking loud and saying nothing will have a couple open spots in summer school.

Seriously, love how you can't keep my name out of your mouth even when I'm not on the blog. Good to see you don't hold grudges or anything.

Clown...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 19, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers is the guy

Wall will be the best point guard the Bullets have had since Kevin Porter

Posted by: coparker5 | May 19, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

The coaching staff/FO are handling the AH situation perfectly.

Every day AH gets more and more ostracized, in some way, because the team is playing "the nice guy" publicity approach to the AH holdout. The players are talking of being either upset or confused about it: AH is always mentioned as the "$100M man" so to speak in media, of course all of the minicamp optimism ("turn around," "new attitude," etc.) makes his lone-man-holdout status more obvious and anti-team, and guess what?...we have options to replace the big gorilla.

AH should show up at the next OTA or mini-camp, just to show he isn't rebelling against the new staff, players, and our hopes of a good 2010 for selfish reasons. Otherwise, he could just find himself being the TO of the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | May 19, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Mm, at the beginning of the AH saga this year I eas skeptical if the JReid reports. Of course Im always skeptical if media anyway. There honesty and integrity levels rate ip there with attorneys and politicians. I'm still skeptical of how much they say AH is disgruntled but I think it's time to man up and show up. This 1 man against the team crap is getting old.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 19, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

"The coaching staff/FO are handling the AH situation perfectly."

Posted by: monkeymayonaise

If Albert is primed and ready to play on opening day -- then the staff will have done their job.

A very large part of the job of a head coach is to make sure his impact players are in top form when it matters.

The Skins have 1 major impact player -- and that's Albert. If Albert is a beast this season, Shanahan gets credit. If Albert isn't, Shanahan gets blame. Make no mistake, Albert is the most game-changing player on this team -- if ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 19, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Wall will be the best point guard the Bullets have had since Kevin Porter

Posted by: coparker5 | May 19, 2010 6:49 PM
==========================================

Now if they only had Kevin Grevey, Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld and Bobby Dandridge the season might be interesting

Posted by: noonefromtampa | May 19, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I think I stumbled onto a blog for a bad basketball team. This is RI isn't it? It must not be, I don't see any political or religious arguments or your momma insults.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 19, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

pretty, pretty, pretty funny scamp.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

scamp, yo momma is an atheist liberal who roots for the Cowboys.

How was that?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 19, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

scamp, yo momma is an atheist liberal who roots for the Cowboys.

How was that?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 19, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Now THATS what Im talking about.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 19, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Whoever the player is should step forward and man up, give his side of it, and let the chips fall where they may. He's doing a huge disservice to the team and the town by HIDING like a (insert feminine noun here). It's not like we're never going to find out, and the longer he hides the less respect and support he'll have.

Posted by: Chris_VA | May 19, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chris_VA | May 19, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I've read that someone stepped up and said they paid for the docs trip and services but didn't get hgh.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 19, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

You mean he didn't inhale?

Posted by: Predator48 | May 19, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

"John Wall - Explosive athleticism, good size for a PG, outstanding speed with the ball, handle, and court vision. He has an outstanding ability to penetrate and get to the rim and is excellent in transition. Good mid-range shooter, poor outside shooter."
posted by psps

Guys, he's not a poor outside shooter. Tyreke Evans is a poor outside shooter. John Wall is a mediocre outside shooter.

Don't forget the NCAA 3 point line was moved back last season to 20'9". Wall connected at 32.6%. That's not as good as Turner or Wes Johnson, but plenty good enough to justify the 144 shots he took during the season (26% of his attempts).

I think people got the wrong idea based on the team's abysmal outside shooting against West Virginia's 1-3-1 zone. The Wildcats as a team were 4-32 (12.5%)from the arc. That's a performance of legendary stinkiness. The Mountaineers tried the same thing against Duke, who simply sank the shots and won.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 19, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I was looking for a little more enthusiasm from McNabb on his receiving corps. "patience is key" and "continuing to grow" are not exactly strong endorsements. Maybe DT and MK really are busts, Moss has lost a step, and Galloway is more than just grist for the training camp mill. Or maybe it is just early. Still, we have questioned Campbell, Zorn and the wide receivers for a lack of a passing game. Two of the three components of that question are gone so it could be a very scary season if the receivers were the answer all along... especially if Moss has to sit out some games because of his "Canadian connection".

BTW, another thing to consider about who the guilty HGH guy is: not every player makes the kind of money it would take to pay a doc to take the kind of risks this doc was taking. The guilty party probably has a sizeable contract.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

scamp, yo momma is an atheist liberal who roots for the Cowboys.

How was that?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 19, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Now THATS what Im talking about.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 19, 2010 7:24 PM
-----------------------------------------
Scamp Pelosi?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975

You mean he didn't inhale?

Posted by: Predator48 | May 19, 2010 8:48 PM
----------------------------------------
Yep, I am believing that. It is perfectly normal for a player to fly a Canadian doctor into DC (wink-wink) to get routine treatments (wink-wink) because everyone knows Canadian doctors for just some reason (wink-wink) are better at curing hamstring problems on mature players (wink-wink, nudge-nudge, wink-wink).

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse

John Wall

Strengths: One of the most electrifying players to come out of the college ranks in years ... Has an heir of supremacy/confidence that only the truly great ones possess ... His speed in the open floor and first step blow by ability is absolutely jaw dropping ... His body control and ability to make plays around the rim as well as find teammates with passes while playing at such a break neck speed is what sets him apart. At first you think he's out of control but he actually makes great decisions while playing at such a fast pace ... Fearless attacking the basket off the dribble and seems to find a space in the defense when it isn't there ... His ability to contort his body and finish from all angles around the basket with both hands borders on the absurd ... There is a ton of room for growth and improvement, and his style of play (SPEED) is tailor made for the NBA level ... Point guards with his size and athleticism are rare, Rose and Westbrook are two of the most athletic lead guards to come along in years, and Wall has some of each of their attributes ... Possesses elite athletic ability with unusual length and explosiveness for a point guard ... Excellent finisher in transition with both hands and his speed and ability to change direction allows him to get any place he wants on the floor ... Pushes the ball up the floor as well as any 6-foot point guard ... Can become dominant at both ends of the floor being able to use his length as both a defensive stopper and above average rebounder from the wing ... An excellent passer, particularly on the move. Can pick a part a defense setting up teammates for easy scores using his great vision, and creativity ... A true floor general, not just an athlete masquerading as a point ... Huge hands give him excellent command of the basketball ... Good ball handler with either hand ... A ball hawk able to rip opposing point guards using his quick hands and feet and long arms. Excellent anticipation on passes contributed to his 1.8 steals per game ... Shows leadership ability and will look to become a more vocal leader as he matures ... Has a chance to be a merchandising phenomenon with his incredible talent and charisma ...

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

John Wall
Weaknesses: Similar to Derrick Rose entering the league, Wall's jumpshot is a work in progress ... Shooting is the easiest skill to improve upon in the league and Wall's shooting form is not horrible, but it will require some tweaking and hard work (repetition) in the gym to become a real strength to his game ... Wall is not a good set shooter, preferring to create a rhythm using the bounce. His shot lacks great lift and is a little slow to get off. His form and release are decent, but should look to get a little more trajectory ... At times it appears Wall is too caught up in impressing instead of focusing on the ultimate goal of winning ... More comfortable operating in the open floor than in the half court ... Will need to hone his pick and roll skills and half court command of the game ... His ability to get into the lane and make plays around the basket in the half court game is more effective than his jump shooting ... While possibly even quicker than Rose, he lacks the same body strength and ability to absorb contact. Adding some core body strength would allow him to finish stronger around the rim ... Gets careless passing the ball at times. 4 turnovers per game show his lack of ball protection and that his point guard skills are still raw. His 1.6 a/to ratio is solid for a freshman but should be better for such an elite level player ... Wall is blessed with such incredible physical gifts that it will be up to him to put in the work to get the most out of his abilities. Too often the most talented players aren't the ones willing to work the hardest, and at such a young age it's too early to definitively say whether he "wants it" ... Competitive player, but will need to develop his killer instinct and ability to take over at the end of games ...

Outlook: A virtual lock for the first pick in the 2010 draft ... Led Kentucky to the Elite Eight with just 3 losses all year in his one season in college ... Hit a game winning shot with .5 on the clock in his first ever college basketball game ...

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Evan Turner
Strengths: Big combo guard with great versatility and a tremendous feel for the game ... Extremely smooth with the ball in his hands and has a bag of tricks offensively ... His handles are that of a point guards and he has a terrific ability of getting to the basket ... Has supreme confidence with the ball in his hands, excellent handle and a nasty crossover ... Slick mid-range game with the ability to change directions and get defenders off balance to create looks ... Good upperbody strength allows him to absorb contact and make plays at the rim ... Strong finisher. Very adept at finishing after contact. Also utilizes the glass effectively ... Has a nifty runner when he meets up with shot blockers in the paint ... Understands how to use his body to shield the ball from opponents ... Has a great pull up jumper and his ability to drive really sets up his ability to pull up for shots ... Utilizes the spin dribble to get by opponents effectively and into the paint ... Creative playmaker with the ability to find others for shots when his path to the basket gets cut off ... Solid vision and a good passer capable of finding the open man ... An above average athlete with good speed and long arms ... Makes a lot of impressive plays at the basket using excellent body control and creativity ... A solid shooter with good form ... Has a big wingspan (near 7-foot). His long arms allow him to disrupt passing lanes ... Draws a lot of fouls on drives due to his aggressiveness ... Runs down a lot of loose balls and makes plays based on sheer desire and hustle ... Plays with a high level of intensity at all times no matter the game situation ... A student of the game who studies past greats and appears to have a great understanding ... Solid free throw shooter at 79% ...

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

all this about a "joint" and I'm reaching for the lighter. Pass it around my friend....no bogarting

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | May 19, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Evan Turner
Weaknesses: Not a freak athlete, but above average by NBA standards with great length ... At times appears to be susceptible to being thrown off his game by physical play ... A better scorer than shooter, while Turner shot 44% from 3 as a sophomore it was on a low volume of shots ... Should look to improve his catch and shoot ability and expand his range and consistency from the perimeter ... His effectiveness going towards the basket with the ball probably keeps him from polishing his outside game, but with such efficiency driving it's hard to ask him to shoot more from the perimeter ... Struggled in the clutch in OSU's loss to Siena in the tournament ... At times can fall in love with the dribble and become too ball dependent, but he's very effective so that's nit picking to a degree ... His creativity can lead to being a little careless passing the ball ... Not great at setting defenders up off of screens and shooting spot up. He prefers to create a rhythm with the ball in his hands dribbling off screens or creating off isolation ...

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

That about sums it up, or stretches it out to its breaking point, and such as.

Can't read it, disdain basketball, but I did have money on the Buckeyes in March. Turner looked like Norv, no backside presence. And we know from Kobe Bryant that that won't work in the NBA.

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 19, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

SMACK1- bit much, my bad. I get irked when peeps ramble on and make player comparisons without fair balance or even a clue what they're talking about.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 9:26 PM | Report abuse

I cannot reconcile Nate in the PDX with Nate in Las Vegas.

The Luxor?

What???

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 19, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

wait did you write that or did you copy and Elmer's glue it. (Hey moo).

If you thought all that up and wrote it yourself, I retract my disdain and apologize.

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 19, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

and the steroids issue in the NFL?

as far as I'm concerned,

I'm assuming a lot of these guys take PEDs.

It's a calculated risk, and for a four game suspension, probably one worth taking.

(long term health concerns aside.)

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 19, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Moodlymoodlymoo is the new star of the blog.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 19, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

cut & paste

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Pretty funny Moss is on the cover of WaPo when it's probably him whos gonna get in trouble...

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 19, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Growing humanly at -1.5 in a +2.3 zone. Busted.

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 19, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Wall will be the best point guard the Bullets have had since Kevin Porter
Posted by: coparker5 | May 19, 2010 6:49 PM
==========================================
Posted by: noonefromtampa
_________________________________________

Ah yes, the old Bullets of my youth. Think you guys are forgetting over the years that Kevin Porter was actually not on the 78 and 79 teams that made it to the NBA Finals.
Tom Henderson was the starting point guard.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 19, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Personally I think Rod Strickland was the last good point guard for Washington.
Porter was good no question, also surrounded by a team that was a contender.
Strickland was not surroundede w/ nearly the team Porter was.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 19, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Scamp Pelosi?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | May 19, 2010 9:01 PM |

HA! Now I've heard it all!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 19, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Just my foolish thought! After couple shots of RemyMarts, this is what I came up with.
Excluding recently departed players, the following is a list of players on roster since 2007 that are under suspicion until they comment on the situation:

1. Lorenzo Alexander?
2. LaRon Landry???????
3. Rocky McIntosh???????
4. Clinton Portis?
5. Carlos Rogers???????

Summarily, I have the highest suspicion for
L. Landry, C. Rogers, and R. McIntosh.

I excluded players that spoke about the situation, those are (P. Daniels, S. Moss, M. Sellers, A. Carter, M. Kelly, D. Thomas)

For my own intoxicated reasons, I'm personally excluding:(C.Wilson,W.Montgomery,C.Cooley,R.Doherty,L.Fletcher, K.Golston, S.Heyer, and H.B Blades, B.Westbrook)

That"s all folks!

Posted by: abxinc | May 19, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc | May 19, 2010 10:31 PM |

Here's something to consider.

Younger guys take steroids to bulk up. Older guys (30+) take HGH to recapture their youth and replace the naturally produced HGH that gradually starts to decrease.

There is a certain sophistication (nutritional, fitness, regiment) that comes with HGH use while the younger guys will always go for the quick results but more severe side effects of steroids. I would almost guarantee that the guilty party is 30+ and has had a major injury or history of injuries.

My guess is Phillip Daniels and Randy Thomas.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Chia, I dunno why my traveling companions selected the Luxor, and I don't know much about the place, but I imagine it'll be fine for our purposes.

Re-watching "Fear and Loathing" to prepare for the trip...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 19, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

My guess is Phillip Daniels and Randy Thomas.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 11:04 PM

Diesel, Randy Thomas is no longer with the team, and the way P. Daniels talks, it will be preposterous and quite deceiving.

Posted by: abxinc | May 19, 2010 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc | May 19, 2010 11:37 PM |

I don't drink Remy, but the alleged was "visited" from 2007-2009.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

For some strange reasons, how come L. Landry, C. Rogers, and R. Mac are not commenting on HGH? How would L. Landry explain the sudden muscle mass? Why did C. Rogers returned from surgery so soon? Talk about often injured, how about R. Mac?

Posted by: abxinc | May 19, 2010 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Re-watching "Fear and Loathing" to prepare for the trip...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 19, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm having "euphoric recall" of my younger days just hearing the name of that movie.

Is it me or does Koby Bryant look like an ass when he does that lower jaw thing after he scores? I know he's trying to look tough but he really just looks dooshy.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 19, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

abx- when was the last time LL, CR, & RM said anything to Wapo.

Neither of those 3 fit the crime. If it was steroids then I would say LL, but LL came into the league as a physical specimen. HGH’s lean mass gain isn’t as sudden as roids

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 19, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse

That"s all folks!

Posted by: abxinc | May 19, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Doughty seems like a stand up guy and I like him but he did have some serious neck issues. Don't know if HGH would help with that or the surgery he had.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 19, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | May 19, 2010 11:59 PM

Wow! You know, I never thought of that. You may have a point there.

Posted by: abxinc | May 20, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

scamp- Reed is a quality guy and his neck is fine, it's his knee that injured.

Interesting notes about #37...

Doughty is severely hearing impaired and sometimes reads lips to understand what others are saying.

He has a son that was born prematurely and suffered kidney failure as a baby. However, he received a successful kidney transplant and is now doing well.

ZERO percent chance it was him.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 20, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Not a fan of Sally Jenkins, but her article on the HGH situation is a very worthy read.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 20, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Z-

"They are rewarded unfairly, but they are punished in equal measure by the cruelties of their professions. They start out believing in their own invincibility and slam into reality far more violently than the rest of us. Aging is harsher for them than for you or me. Their careers are over just when most of us are beginning ours, and they experience degrees of physical pain and repetitive injuries the rest of us will never know."

This is why I would say that when HGH use is being alleged then it's someone who is either battling an injury or at the tail end of their career.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 20, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

I assume nothing about the user or the reason for use. I don't guess on stuff like this.

As for the drug/treatment, we've been conditioned to see these things in very black and white terms. Use=Bad. Many years ago, I proposed a simple question. What if the cigarette companies could reduce the disease risks, and incorporate things that made you healthier (people inhale meds, steroids, etc)? What would happen to the smoking laws?

Similar with HGH. Does it improve quality of life? I don't have that answer.

Its a complicated question -- and its only going to get more complicated over time.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 20, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of PEDs in elite sports:
Floyd Landis... the Tour de France rider who was a team mate of Lance Armstrong at the USPS team... came clean and is spilling his guts about everybody in that sport.

You will recall that he was stripped of his crown and went on a four year campaign to clear his name. Over the last month, after losing his bank account, house, wife, everything, he is coming clean and naming names.

That's gonna leave a mark....

Landis comes clean on PED use

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 20, 2010 3:24 AM | Report abuse

Booo steroid talk in football.

HoooRAY OTAs!

That is all.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm…So far, I’ve read many people up here voice their opinion on who they think the enhancement drug user is and a lot of names have been thrown out there. Wow! Based on the opinions up here Snyder should rename the skins the Medskins.
It’s sad that some will jump to conclusions and defame others.
But if that’s all you have…

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | May 20, 2010 6:10 AM | Report abuse

"John Wall still sucks

Posted by: iH8dallas"

You know, sometimes this place reeks of the PsyOps petri-dish..

Wall is the next Isaiah Thomas, ridiculous to pass him up, Cousins would be my next choice, but he's too Maurice -Lucas-hotheaded for a team in need of settle down..No, you have to take Wall, and I would definitely go get the rare All-Star Big Man, Christopher Higher-Ominous Bosh..Opportunities to get a young big man of this caliber are few and far between, the Wizards should act POST-HASTE!!

No sense speculating on who the HGH "villain" is (unless you're an undercover psyops D.C. hater)..Refreshing to have a REAL leader like McNabb take over the team..

Posted by: frak | May 20, 2010 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | May 20, 2010 6:10 AM

FIRST to say that the user was Vinny Cerrato. Beefed up to beat Snyder in Wall Ball. Bad idea. Now he's gone.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 20, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep

The good thing is "he who will never be named again" is gone.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | May 20, 2010 6:43 AM | Report abuse

I guess in a world where Donovan McNabb gets traded to the Redskins, I shouldn't be surprised to see Justin Bieber get nominated for a BET award...

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 20, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse