Me And Coleman On The Radio

My boy Jerry Coleman made his debit at his new station, 1370 AM, yesterday. It's an all sports station, Fox affiliate, and it's a 50,000 watt best out of Baltimore in the day. I could hear it clear as heck pulling out of Ashburn late Monday afternoon.

Anyway, Coleman, former Skins beat reporter for 980, pre Dan Snyder's takeover, is now the sports director there and I'll be coming in and shooting the bull with him sometimes on Tuesdays between 4-6. We'll obviously talk Baltimore sports, but will get in some Skins stuff, around-the-NFL talk, and, I'm pushing like crazy to do a fair amount of soccer, too.

Coleman's show runs from 3-6 weekdays and you can call in at 410 481 1370, or 866 933 1370 if you want to throw something at us, or merely just bust my chops.

By Jason La Canfora  |  September 8, 2008; 8:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Springs Returns to Practice at "90 percent"
Next: Zorn and the Shotgun

Comments

beep beep ... oops

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone give me hope for this season by finishing the following sentence:

The Redskins will go 10-6 or better this year because...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

of the defense

Posted by: AL Zeke etc | September 8, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather listen to Democracy Now.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

i'd rather list to dookie

Posted by: lik | September 8, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

man frosty is sure looking decent out there. but durant brooks keeps our drives alive!

Posted by: gregegegeg | September 8, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

After a lot of thought and a lot of watching football this weekend, I've come to several conclusions.

The Redskins are probably no better than the national media says they are. 4th in the NFC East.

Our players, with a few exceptions, just aren't as good as the better teams in the league.

This has been chronicled on the RI ad nauseum, but the failure to address young players on either side of the line is going to kill the Skins this year. And maybe next year too.

Damn. I was hoping it wouldn't turn out this way, but....

Posted by: Redskin Willie | September 8, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Will go 10-6 b/c they will utilize more shotgun & no huddle offense to get into a rhythm. Pass protection will be fine as will the pass rush. ( an area that I'm very concerned with however )

Posted by: CLEGG | September 8, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

because Jason Campbell will stop twitching his mighty ass.

*****************************************

"Jason Campbell has a "tell." The D-linemen know when he is about to snap the ball. I read a quote last year (can't remember who said it) that he lifts his hips just before he calls snap. Justin Tuck was getting ridiculous jumps last night.

Anyone else notice this?

Posted by: Ben | September 5, 2008 2:49 PM "

This is important because it's true. I'm not sure if it is every snap, but JC definitely leans back a decent amount right before the snap. Definitely a tell, which is exploited easily at this level.

Posted by: The Truth | September 5, 2008 3:40 PM

Posted by: flynnie | September 8, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

You hangin' with the hommies... and Justin Tryon had a knockout practice.

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Posted by: Bryan | September 8, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I've found Danny boys idol/role model!!!

P.T. Barnum quotes

“There's a sucker born every minute”
P.T. Barnum quotes (American circus Entertainer, He created The Greatest Show on Earth (1871). 1810-1891)

“Every crowd has a silver lining.”

Similar Quotes.
Add to Chapter...

“Without promotion something terrible happens... Nothing!”

Posted by: longsufferingskinsfan | September 8, 2008 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Your boy is making his debit...is he paying to be on the air?...

Posted by: G in the Atl | September 8, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

We are old, slow and shtty. Why can't we at least have a good offense so we could lose shoot-outs. When the hell was this team fun to watch offensively. 1999? Dan Snyder and his bug eyed friend are some cocksmokers. Ruining the one sport that is real fun to watch all the way through.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

This ass-twitch could work for the skins. Someone needs to come up with one false move, call it the "bass-ackwards" to draw the defense off sides. Loose pants might work, blowing in the wind, but as Scripture says, the wind blows where it will, and cannot be counted on. No, the bass-ackwards must be added to JC's skill set. If he can do it accidentally, he can do it on purpose.

Posted by: flynnie | September 8, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Ha, JLaC finally gets to talk B-More sports! Maybe he can go work for them and we can get a real reporter in here.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gregegegeg | September 8, 2008 9:02 PM

That'll last until the fifth game then along comes shankzilla.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins will go 10-6 or better this year because it will take a few games to get the offense straight but we have Portis, Samuels, Moss, Cooley, J. Taylor, Landry, Springs, M. Washington... that is a lot of talent... Fu#$ McBush!!!!

Posted by: Obama is Da Man!!! | September 8, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Fletcher. Phuc Obama bin Biden.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

JLC -1370AM sounded great here in Fairfax today. Loved Coleman busting Billick's chops ! . Funny, the ravens Rookie coach sure looked allot more prepared than his dreadskins counterpart -lol. I WILL be tuning into u guys tomorrow at 4!

Posted by: marcus | September 8, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

hey JLC on am 1370 tmrw?...hmmm, maybe brownwood 26 could bring in some burgers and fries ....or whatever he does when not posting !

Posted by: deidra | September 8, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Never fear, I will take care of all of you that are too lazy to work. Or are too lazy to wrap it up and have more kids than you can support.

Posted by: Obama | September 8, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

The only thing worse than ruining a football conversation with politics would be being trapped between Bill O'Reilly and Keith Olberman on a plane ride to hell.

Posted by: AppleScience | September 8, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AppleScience | September 8, 2008 10:11 PM

How about being stuck between a couple cowgirls fans?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Cowgirls fans are a pleasure when compared to O'Reilly and Olbermann

Posted by: Redskin Willie | September 8, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

RW,
I think you're probably right about our team this year. Bummer.

Posted by: stumped | September 8, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Any idea who the commentators are for the Broncos/Raiders game? Their voices are completely unfamiliar - but one sort of sounds like Mike Ditka. Thanks!

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 8, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Cowgirls fans are a pleasure when compared to O'Reilly and Olbermann

Posted by: Redskin Willie | September 8, 2008 10:23 PM

Yea, come to think of it, you're right.

Your first topic, I don't know if we've failed to address the lines with youth. We have just failed to address it with early round youth. Heyer, Crummey, Geisenger, and Rinehardt are young. Jackson, James, Montgomery, and Golston are pretty young.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

It's the Mike and the other Mike from that morning show with the two Mikes.

I've already blocked out their voices. They were adding nothing to the broadcast for me.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Freak - Thanks. I thought there were three people - are there only two? But I am with you, they are not that great - but it could be worse - Cris Collingsworth and the annoying guy he does the NFL network games with (cannot think of his name) - I actually turn OFF the sound and just watch the game in silence when they are on - I wish I was kidding.

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 8, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

How about this, F__k scampbell1975 he's a repub because his daddy told him to be long before he could think for himself, and now he is pushing his daddy's views upon you ! Something smells like Fascism up in here. Go hang yourself scampbell1975 we are trying to weed out lemmings like you.

Posted by: Jack Venom | September 8, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I am not crazy - Ditka is there too - they just mentioned him by name.

Posted by: suzannepdc | September 8, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Me and coleman, awesome grammar. Atleast make the titles of your posts within the correct grammar. Damn, a 9 year old could've written that title better in no time, plus, its one less word to type

Posted by: blah | September 8, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I just can't wait to listen to Canfora jock Joe Flacco, Ray Lewis and talk soccer with his euro-trash friends. Count me in! I just love how he jacks out ten new posts at a time too...

From Ja-Cam interview....

I told coach Z, hey I'd like to try the "Extended Shot Gun" from max protect punt formation. This way long snapper Ethan Albright hits me with the snap like 20 yards deep. I have lots of time to think then, and I can pat the ball four or five times, then wind up for about four seconds, and all my targets like Santena and Rendel El, I can see them. Yeah.

Posted by: Jason Campbell | September 7, 2008 11:42 PM

Yo, I like that I get the personal protectors in the extended shotgun. I was talkin to Brooksy and he was like "you gotta get some personal protectors back there with you Jay".

I asked coach Z, you know, if I could get like my German Shepard back there with me, like a guard dog to buy me enough time to see the field and he was like "Naw" "we got no equipment to fit your dog Jay". I tried to tell him real players hit way harder than those tacklin dummies they throw at me.

Posted by: JC | September 7, 2008 11:50 PM

Posted by: Extended Shotgun | September 8, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Mike and Mike and Mike calling the Raiders game is making my head hurt. One Mike is one Mike too many.

Plus they talk over each other.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jack Venom | September 8, 2008 10:40 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

You guys see this Jay Cutler kid? Taken the year AFTER Campbell?????

Posted by: Horton | September 8, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey Vinny, How come the Broncos Eddie Royal can contribute early and none of our three 2nd rounders can? Oh wait...b/c you blow.

P.S. You looked like an a!# clown on TV the other night. Way to inspire confidence in your team, picks, and coach.

Posted by: Devo | September 8, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: blah | September 8, 2008 10:46 PM

Jasno learned grammar from Paul Simon.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2008 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Wonder how many tubes of Visine Cerrato goes through each day?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 8, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

this is one of the dumbest things i have ever read on here:

"Actually, the dems are the lemmings. The dems think that no one can think for themselves so they should make all the rules and policies for everyone. And when dealing with lazy ass, irresponsible, crack smoking or Pabst Blue Ribbon swillin', baby dropping hoodlums or hilljacks like yourself, they have a point. What I don't get is why us hardworking Americans with goals and dreams should have to pay for your porch sittin', handout takin' ass. So lets adopt socialism and turn ourselves into early 50's and 60's Russia because God forbid anyone be allowed to think for themselves and make their own decisions. Hell, let's just resurrect Hitler and put him in command. That way we can all goosestep to the same beat and not have to worry about individualism."

Posted by: chrIS lArry | September 8, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

The one thing they failed to do in the draft. is get a dt that could put pressure up the middle is going to hurt us all season.

Posted by: D.C. | September 8, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Can we petition Roger Goodell and get him to change the schedule so we play the Raiders 10 times this season? At least that way we might finish 6-9.

Posted by: kost52 | September 9, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

scampbell - you seem like a smart guy - so let me just run this one by you - Be a republican because you think they are going to keep the country safe; be a republican because you think that private enterprise can handle things like wars, hurricanes and fire and rescue better than government can; be a republican because they sound cool and like to chant USA all the time; be a republican because you think democrats are a**hat ex-hippies.

Don't be a republican for that stupid "all they want to do is give people money to sit on their butt all day" crap. Just check out it - Bill Clinton reformed freaking welfare, and made it very difficult to stay on it for very long. Yeah, there are some people who gyp the system, but there are people like that in every system. I guess you had President Reagan talk about the mythical welfare queen with the caddy a little too much in the '80's

Posted by: John D in Houston | September 9, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Saw some of the Saints game replayed this morning in BKK, they got a lot of pressure with their front four, not so tough against the run, offense looked tough with Colston looking a lot like Burress. Crap.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 9, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Ben it does not look like there are many left out there. I did catch some of the game and agree that if we can run on them and slow it down I think that we have a chance

Posted by: Hawkeye | September 9, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

I tell you what, we should be very thankful we aren't Raiders fans. Yuk!

Posted by: kost52 | September 9, 2008 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Ooh Ooh Ooh! I almost forgot!

I think I saw the reporter that is referred to as 'Strawberry Shortcake' for the first time on ESPN! Very nice guys!

Posted by: kost52 | September 9, 2008 1:48 AM | Report abuse

MY MISTAKE

Egg on my face. I watched the Denver/Raiders game and obviously Eddie Royal didn't catch six passes playing over the weekend.

It was ROBERT ROYAL who did that Sunday. Greg, or someone here said my errorwas an indication that I'm always negative about the 'skins.

Obviously implying the skins could have drafted DeSean Jacksion or Eddie Royal shows an utter lack of football judgement on my part.

Eddie Royal? A BUM! He stunk up the joint against the Raiders. Look terrible being blanketed by that stiff DeAngelo Hall.

It's obvious Vinny knows what he is doing by ignoring clowns like Eddie Royal and DeSean Jackson. I mean he only drafted three receivers in the second round. Who wants these guys?

I predict Malcolm Kelly will catch 8-10 passes this weekend.

Again guys, sorry for the confusion.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 9, 2008 3:19 AM | Report abuse

+++It's the Mike and the other Mike from that morning show with the two Mikes.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 8, 2008 10:33 PM+++

Nothin special but an upgrade over the "ESPN Varsity."

I like Tirico on the radi0, but on Monday Nite fubbal he wants to be an anlalyst...too.

Kornheiser, who used to be funny and was hired, I assume to be funny now takes himself serious as a football commentator and the new Mark Twain. He's become as insufferable as Coherd or Cosell in his glory.

He's trying to craft phrases and sentences for columns, not conversational broadcasting. His opening essays are banal overreaches that are as hard to take as Hank Williams Jr.

Jaws is very knowledgeable, but rarely can get a word in edgewise.

Together the three of them have NO chemistry. I find myself hitting the mute as much during the broadcast as the commercials. (MUTE BUTTON: Greatest invention in TV history)

They should have stayed with the original trio, especially Patrick and Theismann.

Posted by: Corkczar | September 9, 2008 3:30 AM | Report abuse

"Actually, the dems are the lemmings. The dems think that no one can think for themselves so they should make all the rules and policies for everyone. .... Hell, let's just resurrect Hitler and put him in command. That way we can all goosestep to the same beat and not have to worry about individualism.
Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 11:05 PM

As you GOP Fascists take away more and more personal freedoms and rights once guaranteed by the constitution, just keep listening to your FAR RIGHT propaganda outlets...

O'reilly, Fox, Limbaugh and his "Dittoheads" (a perfect term) have to keep repeating the same message OVER AND OVER to keep your troops in line.

Your spread he same swiftboat lies about dems, because your submoronic followers must be re-propagandized.

It's called brainwashing.

You know who else is good at it?

The Far Right Evangelical Churches, whichares really form the same genetic soup as Muslim terrorism.

They brook no disagreements. Allah, God, the Bible whatever... And it's not enough THEY believe. But we must too.

And you don't fool smart people like Dems with your tired tactic of using the Big Lie.

It's all you've got.

Go ahead argue the disaster that's been GOP policy. You HATE social welfare becasue that doens't go to the boys in the Club. But you LOVE your tax cuts for the vey rich and you LOVE your bailouts for your crimes and stupidity. Wo pays for that? Taxpayers.

The only difference between McCain and Bush is McCain picked a Veep who the country would like to screw. Bush picked one who likes to screw the country.

Posted by: Anti-Swiftboat Redskin Fans for Truth, not Propaganda | September 9, 2008 3:44 AM | Report abuse

Would you guys cut this out?

Now I have to buy *another* radio station.

Incidentally, I hope all of you have tried the low-cost parking and shuttle at FedEx field. That's $100 of value for just $60.

Meanwhile, the food at FedEx is so delicious that the good taste of the food will outweigh yet another season of futility on the field. It's a win-win for everyone.

The Redskins and I are all about value. And you get that every time you visit OUR Washington Redskins!

Posted by: Dan Snyder | September 9, 2008 5:22 AM | Report abuse

"Many Redskins fans look at Brees with envious eyes, wishing that the Skins had a young veteran quarterback who could pass for over 300 yards in a win and have it be nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps, then, they might be well served to display a bit more patience with Jason Campbell. After three years and 27 starts for the Chargers he was mediocre and seemed to be regressing. The Chargers stuck with him, perhaps against their will—an extended holdout prevented Phillip Rivers from competing for the job—and they were rewarded with a breakout season in 2004, his fourth year in the NFL. Jason Campbell came into his fourth NFL season with 21 starts on his resume."

Posted by: Rich Tandler to the Post | September 9, 2008 5:50 AM | Report abuse

By Jason La Canfora | September 8, 2008; 8:38 PM ET

I wonder if the name "Dan Snyder" will come up in their conversation? This is Must-See radio!

Posted by: motivator | September 9, 2008 5:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: deidra | September 8, 2008 9:56 PM

Only if they're laced with rat-poison...

Great way to start the day--more of this gay pimping of that jag-off Jerry Coleman by JLC. I hope you guys become the Mike and Mike of Baltimore. And for the record, that's not a good thing.

Seriously, no more Jerry Coleman posts unless you're announcing your engagement. He's out of the Washington market, which makes him no longer relevant. That is, after all, why he's in Baltimore...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2008 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and I forgot to poke at this little nugget...

"My boy Jerry Coleman made his debit at his new station, 1370 AM, yesterday."

That's the only way he should be on the air--if he's paying the station to put him on!

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2008 6:16 AM | Report abuse

You guys see this Jay Cutler kid? Taken the year AFTER Campbell?????

Posted by: Horton | September 8, 2008 11:11 PM

Yeah, and he's played in the same system all of his years as a pro too.......

This is do or die year for JC and the Skins marriage...

Posted by: 4th | September 9, 2008 6:42 AM | Report abuse

True, 4th. And unfortunate. JC has almost no chance at succeeding in this offense in his 1st yesr. I'm thinking if he shows improvement by year's end he will stick around.

The most important thing for him, if he's still here, is to keep Zorn no matter how bad this year goes.

Posted by: etrod | September 9, 2008 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 11:05 PM

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read, what party is it that says if you are gay you can not get married. What party is it that says if you are pregnant and want an abortion you are not allowed. What party tries to regulate what I can watch or listen to. What party is spying on Americans and lying about it. What party started with a surplus and has now let the deficit get to around 10 trillion, it has grown 1.93 billion a day since Sept. 2007. What party started a war that has gotten thousands of Americans killed for no apparant reason, other then Bush's personal vendetta against SH.

Posted by: F_McBush | September 9, 2008 6:59 AM | Report abuse

This is do or die year for JC and the Skins marriage...

Posted by: 4th | September 9, 2008 6:42 AM

I don't know 4th--this team has to be committed to Zorn to move Campbell. Otherwise we'll be replacing another QB in 3 years.

I'm only interested in moving Campbell if Zorn is here for the long haul and they get a QB hand picked by Zorn. Period. Otherwise, let JC play out his contract (this year and next year) and let his play decide whether he stays or goes.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2008 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Brown,

Agree if you are going to let Zorn coach out his contract, and he diecides JC is not his QB then fine.

If you are going to fire Zorn after a year or two then there is no point in switching to a WC QB.

Posted by: kmdp4 | September 9, 2008 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 8, 2008 11:05 PM

HAHA! Ignorance is bliss, I guess. It's the exact opposite, really. Democrats believe people can think for themselves and make their own decisions. Republicans are the ones who get caught up in all the choice issues (abortion, gay marriage, etc.) and then try to legislate them. They attempt to tell people how they can live (don't get married, gay people) and what kinds of choices they can make (hey, women, the government owns your body).

Posted by: Colin | September 9, 2008 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Kmdp4, I meant that Campbell should play out his deal. That's a fair amount of time, 2 years. If he fits, resign him. If he can't, move on. But this team need not make ANY move for a QB before then unless they fully intend to keep Zorn for at least 8-10 years. It just doesn't make sense to keep changing QBs and ruining any chance of their success by changing systems again.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I can't quit you, Jerry!!!

Posted by: Jasno | September 9, 2008 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Question for all the McCain backers, Does McCain think he can hide Palin away until the election. It is funny how I saw 3 of 4 this weekend getting hammered by questions but no Palin. If she was such a great choice why is McCain not letting anybody ask her a question.

Do not give me they are being mean to her by asking about her family, she is trying to get women votes by claiming she is a regular soccer mom, and has a great family. If you tout a specific thing about your self be prepared to anwser questions about it.

Can you imagine the field day republicans would be having if the unwed daughter of Biden or Obama was pregnant. What a bunch of tools.

Posted by: F_McBush | September 9, 2008 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Since Jason really wants to talk B-more sports....I suggest a trade, Trade JLC for Mike Preston of the Sun.

Posted by: Walking Deadman | September 9, 2008 7:35 AM | Report abuse

Politiques, Could you please find another outlet and keep this to fubbul? No one is simply going to change their mind because you post your point of view - even if it was articulate - but most the time it's just shat from another bull.

As for fubbul, can Vinny pull off a trade with the Pats? Todd Collins might have his highest trade value for them now. Then we would have to sign someone like Chris Simms for back-up - no way I'd want Colt as the #2 this year.

Just some idle speculation.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 9, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: F_McBush

It's hockey Mom to you, and the field day would be if those two had an unwed daughter that instead of choosing life, killed and innocent fetus. Talk about tool. Look in the mirror.

Posted by: lssf | September 9, 2008 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Bang,

Not sure that the Pats would go for that, although I would not mind doing it, I do not believe Todd fits this offense, and I would rather see Colt play then him.

The Pats are tough trade partners, I think we could maybe get a 6-7 for him, but nothing more.

Posted by: kmdp4 | September 9, 2008 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lssf | September 9, 2008 7:40 AM

You'r still the tool, how many innocent women and children has Bush killed with his personal war on Iraq.

Posted by: F_McBush | September 9, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

kmdp4,

I would think at least a 4th but more like a 3rd. Cassel has been horrible in his limited time. If the Jets win, then I think Hoodie has to find someone there are too many weapons on that team for them not to succeed. The Todd would be a good fit simply by playing at home and being the Todd - I'll admit those aren't the greatest reasons.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 9, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Hey Brown,

I am no FO's hater you know this, but I really think Zorn has to coach as if he has 3 years to get this team close to a SB, then maybe they keep him for the remainder of the 5. If he does not win a SB or atleast get to a NFC championship game within that 5 years he is gone.

It maybe to long for him to wait, to let JC go two years if he is not producing.

There is no way Snyder keeps a coach 8-10 years unless he wins a SB.

Posted by: kmdp4 | September 9, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

kmdp4,

Posted by: bangkokben | September 9, 2008 7:47 AM

I would love a 3rd or 4th for Todd, I think that would be tough to get, but if it is a 3rd or 4th they would be stupid not to do it.

There are plenty of guys that can back up JC. Last year I would say Todd was the best guy, because he new the offense so well this year he is just another backup.

Posted by: kmdp4 | September 9, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

kmdp4,

The thing with the Patriots is their qbs are: Matt Cassell and 3rd round rookie. They had some other scrubs in camp but not having a verteran back-up for Cassell is taking a big chance that your season is going to go from in the toilet to down the toilet and out to sea.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 9, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Although I'm quite groggy and hungry, I am still able to burp up the sharpest thought on the blog this morning, in the form of a question. Under what circumstances do you replace Campbell with Colt, and when?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

There is no way Snyder keeps a coach 8-10 years unless he wins a SB.

Posted by: kmdp4 | September 9, 2008 7:49 AM

Then this team will continue to be mediocre.

What sets the consistent contenders from the rest of the pack is continuity. Philly has been the team to beat in the division most of this decade and it's no coincidence they're the only team to have the same coach over that period. The Pats have had Belichick for 9 years. The Steelers had Cowher for 15 years, and his predecessor for 23 years. I'm pretty sure Shanahan in Denver has been there about that long (although the last 7 or so are nothing to write home about).

I know 5 years feels like a long tenure given what we've seen here in recent years, but we need to have a quality coach in place for 8-10 years at least before we see consistent results.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Can't believe I won my fantasy game with Ray Rice and Kenny Watson as my running backs - defense and special teams. Doesn't hurt that Willie Parker was on my opponents bench - ouch!

Posted by: bangkokben | September 9, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the 8-10 year contract for Zorn and I agree that Norv was not allowed that time-frame, or he would finally have closed the deal.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Brown,

I agree with you 110% but I just do not see Danny keeping a coach for that long unless he has a SB win or appearance.

The funny thing is I think he finally has the coach that would stay that long and do a good job.

Lets hope Danny lets Zorn have the time he needs to build a SB contender, I just have my doubts. My god I am starting to sound like Cork.

Posted by: kmdp4 | September 9, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Wonder how much it would take to pry Wade Phillips away from Dallas. We could use his depth of football knowledge during this rebuilding phase we have entered.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 8:10 AM

That is funny Norv had 7 years 5 to many if you ask me, Norv was not a good coach and is still not a good coach. San Diego did exactly what alot of you on here wanted us to do recycle a bum coach I am so glad we did not hire Fassel.

Posted by: kmdp4 | September 9, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Hey all, I heared our OC on Comcast saying: (jist)

"Campbell says he feels more comfortable seeing the field in Shotgun, so we will give him the opportunity to change any play he wants to a shotgun audible, we can run out of shotgun, not worried about that"

WHAT DID I SAY.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 9, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Who cares what you said.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 8:25 AM | Report abuse

As for this "trade Collins to NE" idea, I doubt they're that desperate. I'm pretty sure they run some form of the WCO there, and as much as I would love to get another pick to replace the ones we've traded this year, I doubt this is the way to do it. Besides, the last thing I want is to see is Colt Brennan playing in 2008.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 9, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

The Eagles run a similiar offense to ours, and McNabb runs alot of shotgun. Lets be honest shotgun or no shotgun, JC has to take this team over and become a leader. He has to stop playing scared and start throwing the ball on time. He has to stop worrying about what people are saying about him.

Posted by: kmdp4 | September 9, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Under what circumstances do you replace Campbell with Colt, and when?
Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 8:04 AM

I say we give JC this year, no strings attached, unless he stinks up the joint never breaks 200 yards and we are down 0-12 this season, then what the hell give the kid some play time. If JC does good, fine its his job for another year.

Colt can take some time and learn the Offense and do the mechanics stuff with Jimmy after practice. Then in year 2, let Colt have the chance to compete for the no 2 spot. So he will play if JC goes down to injury, or again, if the offense just cannot do anything under Campbell, then Colt gets a shot.

I would not let it be an open commutation for 3 years, if Campbell is still struggling after 3 seasons thats a big deal, but a lot can happen over that many seasons.

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 9, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2008 8:10 AM

Watch Norv underachive with SD this season and get back to me on that.

Posted by: etrod | September 9, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

jc will be ok. i know he is a slow thinker but hopefully he will get out of that. if gibbs would have used him more he would be faster. the jz clock management was no different than gibbs. neither show that they can get the offense to have a sense of urgency. they also need to get rid of rodgers. he is the most overated corner i have ever seen. he stinks up the place.

Posted by: rls1041 | September 9, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

km, agreed, Campbell can't be afraid to fail, and he can't be playing scared. Play loose, and let it rip.

Alex, JC gets at the minimum this entire year, with no interruptions. I think if by next year say game 8, you see no discernable gains, no quantitative improvements, then you have to possibly think about shifting gears.

Posted by: Greg | September 9, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: Greg | September 9, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Alex's QB plan sounds reasonable to me, with the condition that JC does not, to quote Al Gore, "blow a hole in our deficit" with habitually mediocre play. My problem with JC is the lack of fire in his eyes or urgency in his game when the Skins are behind in the 4th quarter.

Posted by: Bud Jackson | September 9, 2008 8:36 AM | Report abuse

how could anyone praise norv. san diego is not doing good because of him just watch and see them go down hill . their talent could not do bad last year.

Posted by: rls1041 | September 9, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rls1041 | September 9, 2008 8:34 AM

At least Zorn can say it was his first time managing a game. Gibbs had no excuse.

Also I understand the desire for tossing 22 but who do we replace him with right now?

Posted by: Alex35332 | September 9, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Alex,

Agreed I think Rogers blows but who do we have to take his place?

Posted by: kmdp4 | September 9, 2008 8:44 AM | Report abuse

they should have worked toward that during the offseason about rodgers.

Posted by: rls1041 | September 9, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

rls,

Agreed he was not that good before he got injured they had to suspect he would be even worse after the injury.

Posted by: kmdp4 | September 9, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

no excuse for gibbs on clock management. do not get me wrong gibbs was a great coach first time around just too out of it this time around. he was more conservative this time than when he was at the end of his last tenure. he use to never consider not scoring points. then he decided to sit on 3 point leads. this group on offense looks just as lacksadasical as always. i think the no hurry attitude comes from the gibbs last era. jz has to kick their butts or stick dynamite under them.

Posted by: rls1041 | September 9, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

they did not work to replace rodgers because someone thinks just like rodgers thinks. that he is good.

Posted by: rls1041 | September 9, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

rls,

JC problem is he will not take charge, the QB should take over the offense if you screw up be ready for the QB to rip you a new a$$. That will not happen JC is scared to lead, he has to come out of his shell and start playing football.

Posted by: kmdp4 | September 9, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

From PFT,

ARE PATS STANDING PAT?
Posted by Mike Florio on September 9, 2008, 8:34 a.m. EDT
The disclosure on Monday that Chris Simms and Tim Rattay were brought to New England and then asked to leave is, to say the least, unusual. And we see only two explanations for it.

First, the Patriots abruptly decided to move ahead with unproven Matt Cassel and rookie Kevin O’Connell as the only two quarterbacks. Second, the Pats came up with another plan.

Under either scenario, the decision to not even kick the tires of Simms and Rattay makes no sense. Why not see what they have, in the event they can help the team over the balance of the year?

Chris Mortensen suggested on Monday night that receiver Randy Moss might be lobbying for the team to pursue recently-retired Daunte Culpepper, who hasn’t responded to our Sunday e-mail regarding whether he’d pull a Favre if the Pats call.

The other possibility is that the Pats are planning to swing a deal for someone currently on another team’s depth chart. The problem, however, is that any team with a solid backup likely won’t be inclined to trade him, because said team might need him as soon as this Sunday.

Moreover, how many backup quarterbacks out there are any better than Matt Cassel? Patrick Ramsey? Shaun Hill? Kellen Clemens? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Charlie Frye?

So our guess is that the Patriots have decided that, for now, they’re going to go with what they have, and hope for the best.

By the way, the rest of the team isn’t too bad.

They do not mention Collins wierd.

Posted by: kmdp4 | September 9, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Coleman and I.

Posted by: Yep | September 9, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Yeah lets talk Baltimore Sports!

Jerry: So, How many Crackheads did you see on the way to the Ravens game?

JLC: Not as many as I saw on my way to the Orioles game!

Waka Waka