Meeks Gets Second Interview

Here's an update from Jason Reid:
We've confirmed a report that Indianapolis Colts assistant coach Ron Meeks will get a second interview for Washington's head coaching vacancy.
According to a league source familiar with the search process, Meeks, the Colts' defensive coordinator, is tentatively scheduled to meet with owner Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, executive vice president of football operations, on Tuesday in Indianapolis. Meeks first interviewed with Snyder and Cerrato on Jan. 17 at Snyder's home.
Meeks is the third candidate to interview more than once for the job but only the second still under consideration to replace Joe Gibbs, who resigned as team president and coach on Jan. 8. Former Redskins assistant head-coach defense Gregg Williams also had multiple meetings with Snyder and Cerrato.
Williams, however, is expected to leave the organization because he is no longer under consideration for the job, leaving Meeks and former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel as the remaining known candidates.
The Redskins could interview Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels after the Super Bowl.

By Cindy Boren  |  January 27, 2008; 5:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gregg And Al (Reunited in St. Louis, And It Feels So Good?)
Next: Something To Chew On (Small Update At The Bottom Now. Nothing Huge)

Comments

BONG!

Posted by: bigmurf08 | January 27, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

First, for once! (Actually the second time)

Posted by: CSzaz | January 27, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

HIT!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

From the other thread, I was in the process of writing this::::

Well, according to ESPN, Meeks gets another shot next week. I wonder if that means Snyder isn't REALLY sold on Fassel? I sure hope so, I don't want Fassel as our head coach.

Snyder has handled this situation ALL wrong, but I was never really sold on GG, and NEVER liked Saunders. We don't know(and neither does JLC) what role Gibbs played in the difficulties the offense had this past year, but I heard in interviews several players questioning the play calling and planning, those would be at least in part, Al Saunders. We know the big blow up last year with Williams and the players, in fact I think JLC was one of the manyu media folks who absulutely ripped GG for being such an a$$ to his players and ruining the defense. Now JLC writing the guy is a f@$king God of a coach!

I don't like the way this was handled, and Snyder has definitely mad our team once again one that other teams laugh at, but I'm not sure that this isn't best in the long run.

Only time will tell, and I'm a Skins fan, so they have till I die to get it done, cuz my "fandom" will never change.

Posted by: craig2 | January 27, 2008 05:52 PM

Posted by: craig2 | January 27, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

LOL - just trying to be consistent....

Posted by: bigmurf08 | January 27, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine any guy signing with Danny without knowing that he'll get knifed in the back at some point. Makes it tough to recruit good people

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 27, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who is laughing. How come so many on here write that we are a laughing stock or that we are laughed at...IN FACT>>>over 90% of the people I see face to face everryday and many different people because my industry puts me at gigs with different peole evertime I work. Most people do not even know whats going on with the Skins...I made a joke the other day in front 25 poeple and NOT one knew the Skins even met with Mr. Fassel and this was 3 days later...So yes Skins fans are making more of this than the rest of the world...In fact most are concerned with their teams and have no idea what the Skins are doing....So everybody freakin relax...I think the best thing that Has happened this off season is that Willaims and Saunders are NOT the new HC..So I am happy with the process and I'm glad that Dan has shown something he learned from Gibbs...PATIENCE! And he needs alot of it with this knucleheaded fan base!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 5:59 PM | Report abuse

bigmurf08,

I took your lead twice now! LOL The last time was greatc ause we were first anbd second! and Those words by us...Well for me this is accurate ! LOL :)

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Meeks wouldn't be a bad choice at all. I think the fan base would be more approving of this move as well.

Posted by: croftonpost | January 27, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I guess this kills the theory that Fassel is a lock for the HC job. Otherwise, why interview Meeks again, unless this is part of some double-secret obfuscation on The Owner's part.

Interesting that the interview is in Indy instead of at Snyder Acres. Maybe Dan & Vinny will wear hats on Tuesday, just so they can show up with them in hand.

Posted by: freakzilla | January 27, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

croftonpost,

I agree with you ...this one and a few other choices would be great...I think the fan base is just nervous right now and jump on every interview like this is it...Like I said...I have found over this period ..it appears Dan is using alot of patience and taking his time unlike in the past and I think this is evidence he has learned something from Gibbs....And also a note on Gibbs...I NEVER ONCE..saw any report from Gibbs that he stated he backed Greg Williams...I have only heard this through writers and fans opinions...I honestly do not think Gibbs backed Willaims or Saunders as a head coach...I think that is just pure speculation

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Adding to that...Gibbs spoke to the position coaches the other day...So it appears all the Gibbs coaches will mostly remain on staff....This is also eveidence that Gibbs did not back Willaims or Saunders..In fact if Gibbs had stayed...That may have already decides that Saunders was gonbe after this year....as we all know Gibbs did buck heads with both coaches at times....I think the fan base is missing what the facts are....

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Girls,

Snyder, Cerrato, Zorn, and Blache have NO IDEA who will be the new HC of the Skins.

Is that not painfully obvious to all?

That in and of itself is fine, but to hire the staff first is, well...very unwise.

Posted by: gdennie | January 27, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

What happened to Schwartz? Did he withdraw? I liked what I heard about him.

Posted by: wpost7 | January 27, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

The one thing is for sure Snyder did not like Williams and is being careful after the Fassel almost hire and the fans went crazy. I think this is his first time he is not rushing the gun so to speak. I like Greg Blatche signing because the bears defense was awesome when he ran it and keeping the guys on D happy is important. Ron Meeks ran an awesome defense. I look forward to who gets the job. I guess we are a west coast offense now that we hired Zorn unless they hire an offense head coach.

Posted by: tjzukoski | January 27, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Nothing has been said about Schwartz.

Posted by: tjzukoski | January 27, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, tjzukosi. I was wondering why Jasno said Fassel and Meeks are the remaining candidates, and left out Schwartz.

Posted by: wpost7 | January 27, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

The Meeks news is interesting.

Yes, he won a superbowl, and yes his defense was a big reason, but this has not been a historically great defense.

And how much was him and how much was Dungy?

On the other hand, a calm rational hand on the till (assuming he learned that manner of coaching from Dungy) would be welcome.

With Caldwell in as HC in Indy, he may feel now is the time to grab the brass ring.

He might be the perfect fit, if they are serious about him.

Posted by: RedBee | January 27, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I think everyones on the table and if Schwartz is still in the running he will get an interview this week because next week they want to name a coach.

Posted by: tjzukoski | January 27, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

But doesn't the fact that Snyder has named an offensive and defensive coordinator limit the ability to attract a quality coach?

Implicitly, if not explicitly, Snyder is telling a potential HC that he's (Snyder) really in complete charge. You can't/won't name the people you want in key positions.

So, be my head coach and I'll select your staff.

That's gotta' be tough for some applicants to accept.

Although I guess if you throw enough money at them, they'll take it.

Eventually, though, some sort of conflict or disagreement will arise between the HC and OF and DC.

Posted by: SteveMG | January 27, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I like Ron Meeks because Tony Dungy is a great teacher and is a class act how to run an organization.

Posted by: tjzukoski | January 27, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I have a question:

What does a head coach do?

The offensive coordinator calls the offensive plays on game day.
The defensive coordinator calls the defense.
Special teams guy the special teams.

Does the head coach just give the pre and post game pep talk? Or it different for non-dysfunctional teams (other than the Skins and Cowboys)?

Like, does the head coach make the game plan for all 3 phases of the game and then oversees the implementation of this plan during the practice week and on game day?
For example, the head coach says "We should run the ball and then use play action on Offense this week, and do alot of run blitzes on Defense, and go for a punt block on teams"
And then the coordinators come up with their best running plays, blitzes, and block formations? Is that how it works?

Posted by: jgarrisn | January 27, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Girls,

Is that not painfully obvious to all?

Posted by: gdennie | January 27, 2008 06:10 PM

Interesting point of view...Jones did the same thing last year...when he hired his OC first..what were they? 13 & 3? Well Zorn is an excellent hire...I'd say the QB Matt in Seattle benfitted pretty good with Zorn as his coach...Seemed to have developed nicely...I think this is an excellent move for Campbell.

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

No because I think there are no top assistants out there. And I am sure they asked the remaining candidates who they want on there staff. I think the Zorn hire has Fassell All over it. And Meeks would run the defense and need an offense guy.

Posted by: tjzukoski | January 27, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tjzukoski | January 27, 2008 06:17 PM

C'mon the fans had nothing to do with anything...If think think for a second the fans influenced in any way not to hire a coach your DREAMING....This is a process and Dan is taking his time and LOOKING AT ALL OPTIONS HE CAN...I see nothing wrong with anything...he interviewed him and some writers wrote that it was a done deal and it was FALSE!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

So, be my head coach and I'll select your staff.

That's gotta' be tough for some applicants to accept.

Although I guess if you throw enough money at them, they'll take it.

Posted by: SteveMG | January 27, 2008 06:25 PM

By all accounts involved claims that all the candidates highly endored Zaron being hired

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I have a question:

What does a head coach do?

Over sees all football operations. He directs both gameplans. Has influence over free agents and the draft. Also adds motivation and usually will control 1 side of the ball. He manges the coaching staff and hires and fires as the ownership allows. Thats only a little of what a head coach does.

Posted by: tjzukoski | January 27, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

leevi98,
I dont think the fans control anything but he will take the pr hit when the football seasons over.

Posted by: tjzukoski | January 27, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tjzukoski | January 27, 2008 06:30 PM

Not if a coach has already been selected behind closed doors...these could be choices of the new HC...like dan said there will not be an annoucement of a hire until after the Superbowl...adding that he did not want to take away form the game..or steal thunder so to speak....Don't be surprised is the Chin is that coach...not saying it is...but you just never know...I think its possible that the new coach will shock everybody next week. and it's none of these interviewees

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I for one had a problem with all of the secrecy of the process, but I actually think Snyder is doing due diligence...

1) No one thought Gibbs would quit when he did.

2) Williams had 4 interviews...remember the outrage when ya'll thought he wouldn't be interviewed

3) It's possible that they didn't have the same vision.

4) Since when did Greg Williams become a saint? He's a great coach, but remember all the heat he took for Archuleta, Lavar, 31st ranked defense...I don't want to hear nothing from the players. Many (not all) trashed him under the cover of an "anonymous source" saying he was "arrogant"...Now all of a sudden you'd play for him like he was Lombardi.

5) Snyder did not make this easy for himself, but he seems to be exercising patience...what the hell is wrong with that?

Posted by: rickyroge | January 27, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Bill Cowher is not going to be the next coach of the Redskins...let's put that to rest.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 27, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Also like Ive mentioned before...I have seen no reports of Gibbs actaully stating he endorsed Willaims or Saunders as the next coach. I have only seen writers and fans speculate this. In fact...how do we not know Gibbs recommended Blache and Zorn? Both are well respected coaches. Blache was an EXCELLENT DC in Chicago...his defense there was awesome and carried the Bears a few years back when they had that great season 7 years ago...Zorn is very well repected and known for developing QBs and an excellent offensive mind....How do we know this was not influenced by Gibbs...

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

1) No one thought Gibbs would quit when he did.

3) It's possible that they didn't have the same vision.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 27, 2008 06:38 PM

AMEN! Great Post!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh leevi, my voice of reason in this crazy wilderness, how can you guys mercilessly attack Snyder for not caring at all about us then at the same time think you had anything to do with not hiring Fassel. This is exactly what leevi said, a process, Snyder took an extremely hard look at Williams b/c of the Gibbs reco and continuity, decided he was the guy (thank God in my Pettibone opinion) and is now taking his time to evaluate what he thinks the best situation is, he is not scrambling to make another pick because the Washington Post blog didn't like Fassel and even the idea of that is laughable.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 27, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Once again...Dan proves he is promoting from within....

I think everyone needs to relax and be patient...if the team goes 0 and 16 next season then bash him

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Just another smoke screen to get the fans hopes up. Do you really think DS is entertaining the thought of hiring someone else other than Fassel boy. Nobody else wants to just own the title of head coach they want to actually coach, select players and assistant coaches. Sorta like being a real coach.
I like what Parcels said along time ago "If I'm going to be the cook you btter at least let me do the grocery shopping" or somethiung like that.

Posted by: jamesrice | January 27, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Did you all see this from John Clayton?

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Fassel forced to wait

Now that the Redskins have changed their offensive and defensive coordinators, it's pretty clear that Jim Fassel will end up being their head coach. Unfortunately for him, he won't know that until after the Super Bowl. On Saturday, the Redskins announced the firings of offensive coordinator Al Saunders and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and replaced them with Jim Zorn and Greg Blache . Both had conversations with Fassel before accepting their jobs and both were the top choices of the former Giants head coach. Here's the plan. The Redskins may or may not interview Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo after the Super Bowl, but there is a good chance they will talk to him. Owner Dan Snyder wants to have a complete interviewing process before hiring a head coach, and squeezing out another interview won't cause any problems. On Monday or Tuesday after the Super Bowl, Fassel is expected to be announced as the Redskins' head coach. Snyder has interviewed him three times in the past two weeks and wanted to hire him four years ago before talking Joe Gibbs out of retirement. Why wait? In Snyder's mind, why not. With the coordinators hired, the Redskins' coaching staff is pretty set. Joe Bugel is expected to stay on as offensive line coach. Danny Smith is expected to stay as the special teams coach. The tip that this is going to be a Fassel hire is that the coordinators are in place without the Redskins talking to Spagnuolo. Under league rules, the Redskins can't have their first conversation with Spagnuolo until after the Super Bowl. It might be hard for him to take the job if he can't hire his own assistants, and Snyder has moved ahead with that process. Good news for Giants: The Giants will be relieved to find out the odds of Spagnuolo leaving the team are diminishing with the likely hiring of Fassel in Washington. Spagnuolo had a big impact on the Giants by installing a man-to-man pass coverage system and an aggressive blitzing scheme. The defense should only get better next season. Plus, Spagnuolo will have a chance to mentally adjust to the idea he's a hot head coaching property. His rise to success was fast. He will be a hot prospect in the 2009 coaching hunts. If Spagnuolo stays, a talented defensive coordinator might sit out the season. Dom Capers would be the logical choice to replace Spagnuolo in New York because he worked for Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville. Capers was fired by the Dolphins, but he is going to be paid more than $2 million whether he coaches or not.

Posted by: mdvj | January 27, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2 | January 27, 2008 06:43 PM

Posted by: leevi98

OK this is just pathetic. Leevi98 I know you are real and I think zjfr2 is real. rickyroge I suspect you are from the building. See below .... (sounds PR to me)

Anyway pay back is coming. I hope to make some money of it. What are some good t-shirt slogans. I think "Vinny you are doing a helva job" is good.

I don't want to violate copywrite. Rickroge can you enliten me.

Posted by: rickyroge

Posted by: mul | January 27, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I would love for Dan Snyder to be right. I would love for this to be the way to have gone. I hope for all of our sakes that the moves he is making are in the best interest of the team, but to all of those fools that are praising him as if his patience has suddenly become on par with Gibbs, take a look at his hiring of the coordinators before he hires a coach. That kind of impulsiveness, no matter how good the selections (and I believe they are good choices) shows anything but patience. I love Zorn, and if you are going to drop Williams, then Blache is a great replacement, but come on... let the coach pick his staff... Think about Wade Phillips in Dallas... you think he is not looking over his shoulder with Garrett there? I think that we need to realize the great Lord Helmet and his object of love Mr Roboto Cerrato are playing this very cavalierly and it is going to haunt them. I hope not, but why should I believe anything these buffoons do? They have done nothing but choke since Snyder bought this team and Mr Roboto Cerrato's promotion is just more proof he has not learned a thing.

Posted by: Grumplestilskinn | January 27, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

This looks like GIBBS has endorsed this....I mean cmon...I dont think Gibbs endored Willimas or saunders...the huge hint....Joe Bugel is staying..Thats a huge saign with most of Gibbs' peop,e staying....I think This has Gibbs written all over it...and fans are blaming Dan...wrong fishing hole people.

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Never before has so much been written, by so many, that new so little..(apologies)Winston Churchill.

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the average American"...P.T. Barnum.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | January 27, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Can some normal people please come and help me.

Posted by: mul | January 27, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Okay, if Fassel is the HC and he approved of the OF and DC, then my *brilliant point above is moot.

Although why this Kabuki dance continues is baffling.

You've got your guy. Why interview another person?

*And yes, if you can't praise your own posts, what's the use of posting?

Posted by: SteveMG | January 27, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

I think after seeing that Joe Bugel is likely to stay Is a HUGE hint of whats really going on and appears that Gibbs has NOT endorsed Williams or Saunders....If he did I dont think they would have been let go...secondly like I sadi ..If Joe Bugel is staying that says things are going how Gibbs wanst them or at least in part...If Dan was going AGAINST GIBBS...Joe Bugel would NOT be even thinking of staying...This is so huge to hear he is!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

The only thing I care about is keeping the draft picks we have and possibly getting more. The only way I'll bash Snyder is if he gives up draft picks (except for Randy Moss), other than that all this let's boycott the team, tar and feather Snyder, picket in front of his house is pure insanity. We're talking about football people!

Posted by: rickyroge | January 27, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Keyskonnection, Blogs are meant for us ill informed folks who crave information, but have been left in the dark by Lord Helmet and Mr Roboto Cerrato. The cloak and dagger approach and clandestine process only leave fans feeling alienated and untrusting. I think that Zorn rocks and I think Blache rocks. That said, I think that the approach to this has been bush league and that we as fans who foot the bill for Snyders empire deserve better. If this process produces a winner, I will be all for it. But promoting Cerrato smacked of the Prince in the movie Braveheart who's father, the King, pushed his "Minister of Defense" out of the window to his death... think about it...

Posted by: Grumplestilskinn | January 27, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey Grumple...can you at least give Snyder and Vinnie credit for...

1) Locking Sellars and Cooley to long term deals.
2) Brining in London Fletcher
3) drafting well last year(although not the full lot of picks) of players who contributed; Landry, Blades, Golston, Montgomery, Wilson, Heyer.
4) putting his money where his mouth is for Sean Taylor

Snyder has dug himself into hole with some terrible decisions in the past, but we're better off than we were in 2000.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 27, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

I was one of those that has trashed Dan Snyder. I have to say now that this thing is starting to come together that I may have been a little hasty. I still disagree with many of the things that Snyder has done in the past and the way this whole thing has been handled BUT...
I believe Zorn and Blache to be good hires. the fact that Blache and Olivetti (sp?) are staying, and the rumors (if true) that Smith and possibly Buges are staying somewhat reinforces the continuity thing that he spoke of. I will now reserve further judgement until this whole thing plays out BUT...
I am excited about Zorn/Blache.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 27, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey Grumple...can you at least give Snyder and Vinnie credit for...

1) Locking Sellars and Cooley to long term deals.
2) Brining in London Fletcher
4) putting his money where his mouth is for Sean Taylor

Posted by: rickyroge | January 27, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey Grumple...can you at least give Snyder and Vinnie credit for...

1) Locking Sellars and Cooley to long term deals.
2) Brining in London Fletcher
4) putting his money where his mouth is for Sean Taylor

Posted by: rickyroge | January 27, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

rickyroge, I do not disagree with you about those people, but let's not forget who was at the helm during that period of time. Gibbs knew what he was looking for and in the war room, if you think Gibbs was ever overridden by Mr Roboto Cerrato and Lord Helmet, you are mistaken. I HOPE UPON HOPE that I am wrong about this. I hope everything works to the good. I trust Cerrato though about as much as the man who under oath asked the prosecutor to "define the word is".

Posted by: Grumplestilskinn | January 27, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

"God himself couldn't sink this ship."

- line from James Cameron's 'Titanic'

Posted by: busterkurosawa | January 27, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigmurf08 | January 27, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Leevi98,

BONG!

Posted by: bigmurf08 | January 27, 2008 7:25 PM | Report abuse

HIT!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

The subject is stale. I am burnt out on it. I love the Redskins. Have always loved them. I loved them under Jack Pardee, George Allen and even Turner...they have stunk more than they were ever world beaters and I have always loved them. Do I like the fact that Snyder throws around money in an attempt to get us a winner? Yes... but so did Jack Kent Cooke and he left it in the hands of a qualified GM to make decisions. Gibbs and Beathard did not always see eye to eye, but that was part of the beauty of that arrangement... no yes men. That is not the case here... you disagree with Danny, you are shown the door. That is complete garbage.

Posted by: Grumplestilskinn | January 27, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I have said time and time again to just chill and let it play out.

Posted by: lilagram | January 27, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I am excited about Zorn/Blache.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 27, 2008 07:14 PM

It's nice to see that there are some real fans with brains on here who can also see things differently later and admit it.......Great Post... Like I said before and I will keep posting on here...If bugel is staying that;s a HUGE hint about what has taken place...I for one don't think Bugel stays if Dan was not taking the advisemnet of Gibbs and throwing everything away! Of course he would NO WAY STAY...But it appears he is and with that said..Thats all I need to knwo that Gibbs DID NOT recommend Willaism as the next HC...I beleive that with the news that Bugel stays is in fact TELLING as to what is really taking place...and everybody here is bashing Dan when in fact they are Bashing GIbbs!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I just want whatever coach we get to abide by the ATTACK YOU IDIOT! philosophy.

SHABINGUS!

Posted by: Dorf | January 27, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh god the PR department has finally taken over.

This is like Florida 2000.

Beep Beep

Posted by: mul | January 27, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh adn I also believe that the news tells us that all of Gibbs' guys that are staying had input as well...I eman Gibbs has been at the Park ...You are crazy to think Gibbs and his Guys are not involved and have heavey input...LIke I said for all those Gibb's guys especuially Bugel who is VERY LOYAL to Joe Gibbs is staying...There is nothing else to say except this process has Gibbs approval and send us a measge that everything is being done for a reason...It appears that Saunders and Williams WERE NOT ENDORSED BY GIBBS ADN HIS GUYS!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Next deadskin head coach will be the lucky interviewe who does his best work on his knees and doesn't have any sense of smell.
He won't mind walking around with a brown nose until Danny Boy tires of him and fires him blaming him for the deadskins 3-13 season next year.

Posted by: dave2002ti | January 27, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh god the PR department has finally taken over.

This is like Florida 2000.

Beep Beep

Cindy Help Us.

Posted by: mul | January 27, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. I would love to lose 42 to 41 every week if it is a choice between 17 to 14 games week in week out. I want the team to be an attacking team too. No more run the clock out to play for the tie, and no more half time leads and going into the proverbial conservative shell in the second half. I just want us to be respected. The Patriots are the Patriots because they have a strategy and they leave football decisions in the hands of football people. (For those of you bashing Williams, think back to Bill Belichek and his failure in Cleveland). I just want a winner. Wait and see... I agree with you leevi98... wait and see... but what is the point with a blog if one person posts "wait and see"... no point in discussing it. Pretty boring.

Posted by: Grumplestilskinn | January 27, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

mul,

Do you think Snyder pays his PR guys time and a half for working on Sundays?

Posted by: busterkurosawa | January 27, 2008 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Give credit to Snyderatto for bringing in London Fletcher? Heaven help us that is not true....London was brought here by Gregg Williams.....he wanted to play for Gregg Williams! Would not blame London at all if he took his skillz and fled Ashburn!

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 27, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes. They were here late on Friday. They were here on Saturday go look.

I don't know why I am bothering. I just think skins fans are supper smart and they will not just bi*ch like NY or Oakland.

Posted by: mul | January 27, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh god the PR department has finally taken over.

This is like Florida 2000.

Beep Beep

Posted by: mul | January 27, 2008 07:34 PM

mul,

Do you think Snyder pays his PR guys time and a half for working on Sundays?

Posted by: busterkurosawa | January 27, 2008 07:37 PM

If that is all you guys have to say about our recent posts...in ligt of certain news that Joe Bugel and most of Gibbs' guys are staying and that shows that Gibbs has had heavy input and that he did not endorse Willimas or Saunders than you just backed up our points with nothing but the old bash and blame Dan trick...Thnaks!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 27, 2008 07:40 PM

I have seen alot of posts by you over the years and I think you are very knowlegable...But I completely have disagreed with you the last 2 weeks...You seem to be the PR rep for Williams.

You don't stop and think about what it measn that the VERY loyal to Joe Gibbs Mr. Bugel staying does not speak values about whats really going on?

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98

Leevi98 you are real are you not? I know your name. You are not a deep mole only to come out in case of e-vinny-cy?

I don't know what to say. Look at the past post. Look at vinala ice cream, back stabbing, we have a plan, ball coach, this last week. I can go on and on and on. In fact I have gone on and on.

There are people in this world that just want people to say and think what they want. I hope I am not like that but Dan clearly is. I gave him his second chance but look.

Posted by: mul | January 27, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Volumes that is...I'm so bad with the typos!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

fake beep beeps are lame..

John Clayton seems to have re-ajusted himself with this Meeks newz:

If in the end its fresh meat Meeks/Spags/Mac style and the core coaches do stay (buges/smith) than I have to say I will have tempered hope for next season.

Snyder is, was and will always be a sh!theel person. That ain't changing, but I kinda dig keepin core staff adding Zorn and hiring a young gun.

If its Fassel, I will be bummed (i live in NYC and saw his work first hand, my giants fan friends are in hysterics) but still will be a fan for pete's sake!!!!!

Posted by: clawrence | January 27, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

leevi, for one thing, it has not been confirmed that Buges is indeed staying. Secondly, even if he does....who else is going to hire Buges at his age? It's this job or nothing!

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 27, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

clawrence = cHris LaRry

Posted by: clawrence | January 27, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Also you have been agreeing with PR comments all week. Not that you can't, but still.

Posted by: mul | January 27, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

i agree that buges staying would be telling. Lisa he doesnt need this job if he didnt want to be here he could happily go back into retirement...

I hope he stays i love that ole cuss!!!!!! and we need him he worked wonders last year that sob still has it!!!!

Posted by: clawrence | January 27, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Mul,

I have alsobeen very guarded and surprised about certain things as well. But there are also certain things that speak voumes that tell me something different.

I turly beleive that if Dan Synder were doing what most fans post in here and blowing things up and not listening or honoring what Gibbs did..I DO NOT SEE Bugel STAYING...He is the most loyal guy out there for Gibbs...He would not no way in hell stay if Synder what disrespecting Gibbs and not listening to his endorsements or advice. i'm seeing most of Gibbs' key men wanting to stay..That friends is Gibbs continuity and it tells us that Williams was never endorsed by Gibbs who has to this minute never been quoting as saying he endorsed willaims.. it has only been specualted by fans and writers. Fans have somehow turned it into beleiveing it was fact...I think that all thses moves are definitely Gibbs backed.

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Just for the record, I'm not knocking anybody currently posting on this board. With the economy the way it is, you have to take what work you can get. I may be looking for something myself soon. What kind of benefit packages does Snyder Communications offer?

Posted by: busterkurosawa | January 27, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 27, 2008 07:46 PM

NOBODY because Bugel was retired when Gibbs came back..He said himself in 2004 on and interview with George and Sonny ..The only thing that could have gotten him out of retirement was Gibbs coming back to the Skins and That happened...I think Gibbs would still be here if his grandson was not sick and Bugel is seeing this through it appears...and like I stated many times before..It "appears" and "IF" this is true it speaks volumes of what is going on.

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Ovie 2 goals in NHL all star game...sweet that gap toothed fool rulz!!!

Posted by: clawrence | January 27, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I cannot wait until the (so called) fans who posted bad things about the parties involved (from Gibbs to Cerrato)in this process for selecting a coach start to eat their words. It is amazing to have seen the way this board reacted to every new post that Jason Laconfora put out here this weekend. You guys are truly ruthless. I can't beleve my eyes. The mood has gone up and down all weekend.

Posted by: lilagram | January 27, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I think the Saunders situation may hold the key to the way this entire situation has gone down. Snyder may have been terrified that, with Williams as coach, there was one capable of mentoring and developing Campbell, who he sees as the prized possession of the franchise. So, he decides to go out and get a proven qb mentor in Zorn.

There's one thing to note about this. Saunders' offense was beginning to work in Washington. Campbell was beginning to get it and we saw what the team could do with a qb who *really* understands it during the last 4 games. Is it really worth overhauling the entire offensive system
just to get Campbell a capable qb mentor? Wasn't Lazor good enough? Perhaps, the hiring of a proven qb mentor outweighs the need for continuity. But, what if Zorn runs an aggressive version of the West Coast offense that is not suitable to JC's talents? What if he's as inflexible in adapting his schemes as Saunders allegedly was? Time will tell, but I believe the thinking from Snyder was it's better to have a proven qb mentor and risk all of that to ensure that JC develops the right way.

So, using that as his guiding principle, Snyder and Williams had their interviews. However, Williams was not about to have his coordinators foisted upon him. Even though he probably thought Zorn was a good hire (as has been reported), he didn't like the underlying principle where Snyder could have final say in choosing coordinators. Similarly, Snyder was adamant that an OC like Zorn was a necessity. So, right there, there was a fundamental disagreement on how things were to be run. So Williams had to go.

The ironic thing is if the two men were able to think rationally instead of with their hearts, perhaps we would have had Williams as head coach and Zorn as the OC. Which would not have been half bad, even though I believe the Saunders system should have been a chance to run one year with full personell and a much more developed QB.

Posted by: hailbg | January 27, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

leevi98,
if Gibbs didn't support Williams, what do you make of this attributed report?

The meeting was pleasant and productive, [Williams' agent Marvin] Demoff said, and Williams intended to withdraw from their coaching search Tuesday. At the urging of Joe Gibs he stayed in the process. He reached out to Gibbs again Thursday and Friday and was asked to stay in, Demoff said. So he did.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 27, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

lilagram, we are fans...of the TEAM and the franchise. But how anyone could be fans of Snyderatto is amazing! Snyder could not have handled this situation any worse. He lied....to the coaches, the fans, the players and slandered Williams. Fred Smoot said Snyder told him he was going to hire Williams.

This whole situation is a travesty.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 27, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

one think i hope is whoever the coaches are they stop being tied to their system and develop systems and game plans to match the skills of the players we got..

from norv to spurrier to GG and Weird Al I always felt like they were so in love with their system they tried to force dudes to do stuff that didnt suit them, and always be turning over the roster to find "their" guys (like how we ran out SD, still a travesty).

Hopefully Zorn can survey the talent and see how to get the ball into guys hands that puts them in a position to excel....thats what good coaches do!

Posted by: clawrence | January 27, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

I still have NOT seen any quote from Joe Gibbs that he endorsed Willaims...I have only heard specuation that that was true..not fact

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

This whole situation is a travesty.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 27, 2008 07:59 PM

You know he lied how? are you at Redskins Park? in Meetings and know what has been sadi or not said? Look at how many different writers have written different things by the hour...It seems you are only listenming to anything that goes agaisnt what YOU beleive should be right for the team...and if something is said that defers from that..They are wrong and you are right...But you really have no more of an idea of the truth than any of us. There has been so many different publications that there is really know way of knowing..Pick your poisen....I truly believe If Joe Bugel wants to saty THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES TO ME! You think he would stay if everybody was being lied to? or Synder was NOT listening to Gibbs or wanting to blow up everything....

I honeslt feel that this is very telling if he is staying aboard. I not sitting here like a Synder fan...I think most of you are being unfair about him...I think he is using very great patience and taking his time in this very crudcial choice he has to make...

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

You can go ahead and flush the 2008 season now..the Skins are old at a number of positions. The coaching overall costs us two maybe three years of rebuilding sub-500 years.

Guess what, I'm not up for it.

Posted by: DownTownClown | January 27, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lilagram | January 27, 2008 07:55 PM

You're absolutely right. I'd like to apologize personally to each and every person who was damaged by our ruthless behavior. I feel especially bad for the way we let the assistant coaches know that they were being replaced through news media leaks. Also, spreading rumors about Gregg Williams when we knew we wouldn't be hiring him as Head Coach was really low. I feel really, really bad about that. I'm sure the other guys on the board do, too.

Posted by: busterkurosawa | January 27, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

SOMEBODY SHOW ME A QUOTE FROM GIBBS HIMSELF THAT HE IN FACT ENDORSED GREG WILLIAMS AS THE NEXT COACH!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

HIT!

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 07:26 PM

This may be the first correct thing you've said this month. Nice job!

As I said a few weeks ago, I don't usually post here - just read what everyone is saying. Frankly, I am very concerned with what is happening with the Redskins but am willing to let it play out. What bothers me is where some of these crazy opinions and ideas from the fans come from. Sometimes I think that Lisa and PDiddy are really the only people who know what they are talking about here.

But if I have to give an award to the worst poster, it would definitely be to you, Levii98. You are, without a doubt, the biggest moron I have ever seen posting here. You are wrong about everything! It doesn't matter what the subject is - you are always wrong! Reading your posts is like watching a multi-car accident on the Beltway. The results are always ugly but you just have to watch anyway. Anyway, I just had to get this out of my system.

Levii98 - World's Biggest Moron Redskins Fan!

Posted by: klhend703 | January 27, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

DT Clown

Thats why they play the games right, we'll see next season how it plays out....kinda the beauty of sports right? You might be right...you may end up looking like a tool...

either way I will be there rooting like a maniac b/c I love my team, huge puss warts and all, so go jump ship, who need ya!

Posted by: clawrence | January 27, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Use your noodle, leevi98!

1. Gibbs handpicked Williams to work for him.
2. Williams worked for Gibbs for 4 years.
2. Gibbs encourged him 3 times in the space of 4 days not to withdraw his name from the coaching derby, right before Snyder made a decision eliminating him from consideration.

Do you really need to see a direct quote to believe Gibbs supported Williams as his successor? You won't get one.

Gibbs is a professional. He wouldn't openly "endorse" a successor, because that's Snyder's prerogative. It's not a giant leap of logic to figure out who Gibbs wanted here....

Posted by: Alan4 | January 27, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I hope Meeks second interview goes well. He comes from a classy, winning organization and I would not be disappointed to have him as HC. We are screwed if Fassel is the coach. Adam Scheftner seems to think he is the top choice. It was also reported by him that Danny boy wanted to Pete Carrol. He was smart enough to say No Way. Schwartz signed a contract extension with Tenn. I think he use the skins as leverage.

I wish Gregg and Al all the best. You did not deserve to be treated the way you were by Danny and his Bit$&.

Posted by: cangle12 | January 27, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

klhend703,

Whipping out the whupping stick! hahaha I LOVE IT! Keep posting dude don't hide in the shadows....bring the heat!

chRiS LarrY

Posted by: clawrence | January 27, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

A question for the really smart kids sitting in front of the class,

What was the stock price of Six Flags when Danny Boy bought the stock? Current price is a $1.78. Stock was selling for over 12bucks when Danny Boy bought the company.
What makes you think he will do any better is his choices of head coach and coordinators for the Deadskins?

And please Gibbs was a joke as head coach! He never looked happy or like he really wanted to be there. Read his body language.
He was jsut a shadow of his former self the second time around. Why interference from Danny Boy?

Posted by: dave2002ti | January 27, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

So since I'm so bad .. answer with some backing of the situation and opinion...Bashing me and calling me a maron still does not mean anything...You can attack me personally all you want to...It will not change my views at all...But at least i post them.

I'm not saying Lisa and p didy are not smart people. I RESPECT their opinions very much. I also think that this is a blog to talk to other fans and express their opinions with each other which is exactly what I am doing. So you saying you never post just read? but attacking me personally because you disagree with my opinion in childeish to say the least.

I personally amd concerned about the Skins as well...That's a no brainer since I'm here right? But I still back my own opion regardless of how you feel that I am a moron and I'm always wrong....I will say this...I posted last week that Williams was NOT going to be the next HC...Was I wrong? LOL God bless and thanks for the post...You should post more and express your opinions and knowledge :)

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Guess what, I'm not up for it.

Posted by: DownTownClown | January 27, 2008 08:05 PM

Then go ahead and cheer for the Pats or the Colts or the Giants. I would rather stick with one team through thick and thin. If all you care about is cheering for a winner than go and cheer for whatever team is hot at the moment. I'd rather be a real fan and watch a team build. I don't agree with what has happened the last few weeks but games are won and lost on the football field, not on the Washington Post blogs and in the media where the writers have agenda's. We just got two very good coaches with a lot of fire in them, lets give em a shot. Whoever wants to leave can leave, they are not true fans anyways.

Posted by: bkrevor | January 27, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Use your noodle, leevi98!

1. Gibbs handpicked Williams to work for him.
2. Williams worked for Gibbs for 4 years.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 27, 2008 08:09 PM

My noodle? YOUR WRONG..Gibbs did NOT hand pick him...In fact in the press conference when Gibbs came back he Stated "We have Greg Willaims aboard and I'm excited about that. I have heard Great things about Greg from the people he has worked with and I'm excited to work with and GET TO KNOW GREG IN THE FUTURE" He had never met Grag until he interviewed him and It was a quick interview....MAYBE JUST MAYBE...Gibbs after 4 years of getying to know him and working with him didn't think he should be the next coach...again show me a quote from Gibbs himself that he endorsed Willaims as the next HEad coach. I have only seen specualtion from writers and posters...never a direct quote form Joe Gibbs himdself

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

The more I think about it, the more disappointed I am that Saunders was let go. I understand that Snyder is impatient, but the offense was beginning to work towards the latter half of the season despite all the injuries and turmoil? Snyder must have noted this. Why, oh why, give it up for a completely new offensive system?

My guess is that Snyder's a first impression sort of fellow. Once he sours on something, it's gone; just look at Marty. 0-5 to 8-8 and still gone. Marty even said that that season represented his greatest coaching job ever. And yes, I know there were extenuating circumstances with Snyder wanting Cerrato back, but still...

Posted by: hailbg | January 27, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

From Soccer Insider

Go Redskins!!!

I am personally inviting all of you guys to come out and root, root, root for the home team, The Redskins, as we work our way towards the Super Bowl next year.

Hail to the Redskins.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 26, 2008 12:02 PM

Way to work it from both ends Poopy!

Posted by: mmok | January 27, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Out of town all weekend and a quick review shows a lot of angry postings.

Nothing we can do at this point except shake our heads at how Snyder handled all this and hope maybe Meeks gets the job instead of Fassel, that anyone gets the job except Fassel.

No use fighting with each other though - waste of energy.

Posted by: mmok | January 27, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 08:18 PM

Just the facts...

The Washington Redskins signed Gregg Williams, their assistant head coach-defense, to a three-year contract extension yesterday, giving him a salary double that of some NFL head coaches. Williams, a hotly pursued head coaching candidate, took himself out of consideration for any opening this offseason....

Snyder badly wanted to keep the defensive guru from leaving. Gibbs, who is in the second year of a five-year deal, hired Williams shortly after he took over as the team's coach and president in 2004.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 27, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Kelli Johnson who covers the team for Sportsnet and who interviews the players and coaches said just last night that Gibbs had endorsed Williams for the job. This statement came from someone who is with the team frequently - not a newspaper reporter or ESPN.

As many of you know, I have not been a team basher. After the games we lost, many on here trashed the players, coaches, etc. sometimes this happened even when we won. Me? I was always supportive. I supported Gibbs when everyone wanted him fired....even got into an argument with someone at the game after we lost to Buffalo. I also truly believed Snyder had changed since Gibbs return and commended him - got into many an argument on this blog with RickyBobby about Snyder and Gibbs (he was bashing them).

For me - a former strong supporter - to feel this strongly about what an evil, evil man Snyder is and how badly he handled this situation is telling.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 27, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Out of town all weekend and a quick review shows a lot of angry postings.

No use fighting with each other though - waste of energy.

Posted by: mmok | January 27, 2008 08:27 PM

I agree with you 100% unfortuanately, some posters have attacked me personally because I expresed my opinion..Well scratch that ONE POSTER did...The others who disagree were very honest with how they feel and gave a counter point which is exactly what this board is for..and I love to have discussions in that manner....But one poster had nothing factual or opinion on the Skins except that I was a moron for expressing my opinon. And tried to bring in other posters who disagreed with me with him by mentioning their names but I don't think those posters would engage in such childish behavior .There have been many other posters who agreed with me as well...so it's all good....

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I think we all worked under the fallacy of the "big sexy name" because any of those big sexy names would have demanded power VinnyDAN would not give to anyone not named Gibbs.

MAYBE if Cowher had jumped at it, he would have gotten the power. He is a proven SuperBowl winner, etc.

Pete Carrol would not get that power, and neither would almost anyone else I can think of.

No big sexy names for us in the future, just guys grateful to be head coaches who are beholden to VinnyDAN. We might get lucky and catch lightening in a bottle with one of them, but otherwise I fear we are destined to be the Raiders of the East.

Posted by: RedBee | January 27, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 27, 2008 08:28 PM

Thanks Lisa...nice counter point and I also want to thank you for being in a grown up discussion Between Redskins fans. I also hope you don't agree with the poster who tried to drag you into a leevi bashing party....

I still feel that many of Dan's moves in the past were badly made. But i still feel IF Bugel stays...I also think that says something HUGE of whatever it is going on behind closed doors...But I see you point.

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I honestly wonder if any qualified candidate wants to coach the 'skins. I think the Dan & Vinny combo has ran most of the candidates away.

Posted by: Down777866 | January 27, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Levinems | January 27, 2008 08:35 PM

And then I see this:

Posted by: RedBee | January 27, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 08:18 PM

Just the facts...

Posted by: Alan4 | January 27, 2008 08:27 PM

Nice somebody willing to discuss facts...Thanks Alan, Nothing changes in my stance...of course they kept Greg on as a defensvive Cord. I'm not debating his ability to be in that position...i am saying I don't beleive he was endorsed as a HC like beleive believe. He is a decent D cord...But he was an awful HC in the past...That article backed that he was a good defensive cord and they wanted to keep him there UNDER Gibbs but it still doesn't mean that he is not wanted as a HC

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

So, how does the Rooney Rule work? If Snyder invites a minority candidate in for a SECOND interview this time, does he get an exemption and not have to interview one the next time he hires?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 27, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 27, 2008 08:41 PM

LOL good stuff! lol

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Where the brothers? Where is the Miller High Life? (anyone get that ref?) Anyways, Danny Boy ain't be interviewing no brothers. What is up with that? Or is Meeks a brother from another mother and I'm out of touch? I thought he was obligated, by law, to reach out to the community. All this nutty stuff with GW, et al, and no brothers. Where are the brothers? Please tell me JC.

Posted by: TheDubb | January 27, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Down777866 | January 27, 2008 08:37 PM

Who have they "run away"? Caldwell, Mora? Neither of them was really in the market. Is there someone else I forgot about?

Look, these jobs pay $4 million a year, and there are only 32 of them. Only 3-6 come open each year.

The Redskins job is better than most because it was a playoff team, not a bottome dweller, like Miami or Oakland. And, by the way, among NFL owners, this one might be in the bottom half or the bottom third, but there's plenty of weirdos out there. These guys are chosen as owners on the basis of wealth and no other criterion.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 27, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

I am physically sickened by Snyder. He could get Christ himself to coach and it wouldn't matter at this point. He has torn a good thing apart and ignored the wishes of Gibbs, the players, and the fan base. He is the new Al Davis and an embarrassment. I must now wear my burgandy and gold under the cloak of darkness.

Posted by: austin987654 | January 27, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

the dubb,

meeks is in fact a "brutha"

Go Meeks!!!!
chris LARry

Posted by: clawrence | January 27, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

OK, I just went to the Colt's website. Meeks is a brother. Not a good looking brother. But a brother none the less. So, Danny Boy gets to have that box checked off, no? Ain't that how it works? Do we really think he's pulling a home boy from the hood? Come on, he's going mainstream here, right? Anyone think otherwise? Keep it real. Tell me straight.

Posted by: TheDubb | January 27, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

And then I see this:

Posted by: Levinems | January 27, 2008 08:39 PM

**********************************

Levinems,

Thanks for posting that because I had not seen Schefter's report. LOL All I can do is laugh. If I didn't, I'm afraid my head might explode.

Posted by: JustMe | January 27, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

kinda anti-christ as HC, would he really have that killer instinct? I feel like our defense would just keep turning the other cheek and our offense would be calling hail marys every play!

Posted by: clawrence | January 27, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

He is a decent D cord...But he was an awful HC in the past...

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 08:40 PM

Others in the NFL disagree with you on his abilities. Williams loyalty to the Skins was not rewarded.

Williams, 47, was a top candidate for head coaching jobs in Kansas City, St. Louis, Houston and Minnesota, with at least the Texans contacting Gibbs on Monday to ask permission to interview Williams next week. Williams had said that the openings in St. Louis, Kansas City and Houston "intrigued" him, but also repeatedly stated that he loves coaching here and has said no to opportunities in the past....

"It's awful nice to see the respect both Dan and Joe Gibbs gave me in this new contract," Williams said. "We needed to get this thing out of the way right now so there's no distractions. We've got to be focused on Tampa Bay." Williams reiterated yesterday that he still wants to be a head coach, but that it won't happen next season. "I'm a Redskin, and that's what I agreed to do," he said.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 27, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Call me crazy but it just occurred to me who the next head coach will be Steve Marriucci

Posted by: rerun2878 | January 27, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I think he has worked with Vinnyand runs the west coast offense

Posted by: rerun2878 | January 27, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I heard Snyder thought Christ was more of a coordinator and not an HC because he lacked leadership.

Posted by: austin987654 | January 27, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: austin987654 | January 27, 2008 09:01 PM

Look, Moses isn't coming out of retirement. Christ at least had a bunch of apostles who could probably round out the coaching staff. And, he's a direct descendent of St. Joseph. Well, maybe he doesn't have the DNA, but he's in the St. Joe coaching tree.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 27, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Alan4 - "He turned down two interviews for head coaching positions after the 2004 season and campaigned hard to keep his core of highly respected assistants from departing for other opportunities. Thus, after constant coaching overhauls during the first six seasons of Snyder's ownership, the front office is now dedicated to continuity on this staff, with Williams a focal point."

So that says what? That if you remain loyal to a team and turn down possible jobs with teams 2 years ago. That you should be somehow guaranteed the HC position when the top guy steps down? I thinbk Williams is just not a proven good HC and that is also fact....So my opionion is still that since that time...Wiallims could have also soured himself with the negatives that were involved at times.

Posted by: leevi98 | January 27, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Grumplestilskinn, Zorn and Blache rock, I agree. As for movies, I prefer the book. I suggest PHD Hatfield's dissertation Why Joint Ventures Fail.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | January 27, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

leevi98, we agree to disagree.

Posted by: Alan4 | January 27, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

wow, I went to NJ for the weekend for a mitzva and I missed a ton of news and bloggery.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 27, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Uh Hello Jason ?????

This is a line from your post today.

"Williams, however, is expected to leave the organization because he is no longer under consideration for the job..."

They fired him yesterday !!!!!!

I realize this is a blog but you guys are supposed to be the professionals.

Posted by: joeallen5 | January 27, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Give Bugel as shot!!

He's had a head job before ... worked for Al Davis - couldn't be any crazier than that!

JOE BUGEL - HEAD COACH WASHINGTON REDSKINS ... works!!

Posted by: theclevz | January 27, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

To all RI readers:

Can we raise enough money to run an anti-Snyder commercial on local television?

Posted by: SonnyFan | January 27, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

how bouts just giving that money to your fave charity instead.....

Posted by: clawrence | January 27, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Can we raise enough money to run an anti-Snyder commercial on local television?

Posted by: SonnyFan | January 27, 2008 09:23 PM

Maybe on cable -- right after one of those Mattress Warehouse or Empire Today commercials. But why bother? Who are you trying to reach with the commercial? Don't enough people hate him already?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 27, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

ChRIsLarRY--You're responding to all the same posters I am, better and faster. I think I'll give it up for the night, or at least until you give it up. I'm taking the dog out for a walk and when I come back you better be gone. ;-)

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 27, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I think we should hire meeks, cuz look where he comes from...Indy...where they know what it takes to win every year.

Posted by: mikejc80 | January 27, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Shockey miffed, miami to trade #1 to Cowboys for Marion Barber, Weird Al to lead Raiders?

get this and other wild rumors at:

just trying to mix it up.....Shockey won't be with big blue next year...ya heard it here first...no cowinkydink LBM started playing better once that loud mouth got ouchy!

Posted by: clawrence | January 27, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

yo TE don't give up, you catch sooner or later...we need a coupla snarks up here to keep it light!

chris LARRY

Posted by: clawrence | January 27, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

According to an article in the Washington Times, a veteran player was quoted as saying "the players are very angry about Williams and many of them want to move on." Not good at all....

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 27, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Dan is just setting up for next year so he can go after Bill Cowher. Consider 2008 a waste.

Posted by: winn70 | January 27, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Hey LisaR-

I've read almost all the posts on these threads but I've not quite seen the venom the likes of yours. On the last thread you wrote that you were "surprised that no on has put a hit out on Snyder." You say he's an "evil" man. My God, we're talking about football lady. This man does have a family. You can disagree with the way he runs his team, but your comments are way out of bounds even for this blog.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 27, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

"I think after seeing that Joe Bugel is likely to stay."

He's tied to Gibbs at the hip and I believe one of his family members has cancer and isn't doing too well and "how difficult" is has been for him. Gibbs refered to as much after that Dallas game.

Do not expect Bugel to be back at all.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 27, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Lisa,

The veteran player who was quoted in the Times was Brandon Lloyd. He's p'o'ed because Al Saunders was his sugar daddy and with Big Al out, he's hoping to get cut so he can catch on in KC or Oakland.

Look, they'll get over it. And, there are a number of veteran players who should be moving on.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 27, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: winn70 | January 27, 2008 09:48 PM

Wrong. Bill Cowher's like James Taylor: "In my mind I'm going to Carolina." He's not coming anywhere near Washington unless it's to face the Redskins at Fed Ex. They're going to name the team after him: The Cowherlina Panthers.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | January 27, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Are these the same "anonymous" players that called Williams "arrogant"? If they're under contract, shut up and play ball, and while you're at it catch and hold on to the damn ball...don't get me started.

Posted by: rickyroge | January 27, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Gonna take this from Alan4's post/link:

"We're excited, because I think this is the first step in us kind of keeping everybody together," Gibbs said. "That's our goal: keep everybody together, players and coaches."

Leprechaun Danny strikes again. Too bad the organization couldn't take thier own advice.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 27, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

"You say he's an "evil" man. My God, we're talking about football lady. This man does have a family."

Then why does he look like the kid from the Omen movies? ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 27, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Anyone been keeping track of Terry Robinskie's whereabouts?

Posted by: acoberst | January 27, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I know it would be foolish for anyone to give up thier season tickets,but BOYCOTT by eating your preseason seats,you never go anyway.never get full price for them.eat the cost ,200 hundered fans at a pre/game would send a message to this fool.HIRE SOMEONE WITH NFL EXPERTISE to run the team AND ENJOY THE SHOW jerry snyder

Posted by: DLESMonday | January 27, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Snyder bandwagon

The post on Joe Bugel was excellent.It really helps to put things into perspective.For those who continue to trash Snyder, we really don't need or want you on these post.We are skins fans and we care about our team.I'm a big fan of Snyders because he is one of us.He just happens to have billions.For all other owners in this league, if you cut them they bleed red.But if you cut dan, he bleeds burgundy and gold.He cares too much at times and allows his emotions to get involved.He is actually becoming a very good owner.Unfortunately we have too many fans that are part of the sally Jenkins fan club.

As for the process, everything will be fine.Zorn was a great pick-up.Saunders had to go. Why is everyone so keen on Williams? I truly believe that Dan sees another Marty at some level. Gibbs did not endorse Williams or Saunders.Fassel would be a fine coach, considering what is available.Of course Snyder wants better, but what are his options?

Posted by: getup123 | January 27, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

blah blah blah blah blah blah, I hate Snyder, I hate Cerrato, we should of hired Greg, I'm not going to be a fan anymore, blah blah blah blah..........

For those that don't know, I am actually the pessimist formally known as Jack (honestly) and I cant actually begin to say how happy I am with this process. As all my old rants expressed, I couldn't have been more unimpressed or disappointed with the former coaching staff, I love the Blache promotion, the Zorn hire and personally I pray its Mooch, Fassel, or McDaniels in that order. I like the way things have gone, I love that weird Al is gone, and that ego-driven manboobs is gone too, this way we keep his system without his BS. Keepin Buges, Danny Smith, Olividot guy, keeps a ton of continuity....I say this couldn't be better, hopefully next season we won't waste timeouts, call too many, let TO score four TD's in a game because we refuse to man-up on him,

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 27, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

And in general will tailor systems to our talent while not causing more obstacles than just the other team for our players to have to overcome.

Posted by: zjfr2 | January 27, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Meeks is top of my list now. Meeks, Blache and Zorn? Sounds like a pretty great staff to me. In the most backazzed way possible could The Schneid really get this one right? No that is giving him way too much credit. But I'd be really happy with that staff.

Posted by: JustinBaker | January 28, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Why does everyone assume that McDaniels would be the most likely guy to be interviewed? What about their Defensive Coordinator: Dean Pees, or with the Giants what about their Offensive Coordinator?

Posted by: Veretax | January 28, 2008 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Discussing who the next coach will be is irrelevant. We are now the Oakland Raiders. Dan Snyder should get himself some goofy glasses and start wearing a pinky ring. In one or two years we will fire whoever we bring in now and will get to enjoy our annual big offseason splash all over again. I am burning my tickets, jerseys and wondering what I will do on Sundays this fall. I hate you Danny and will never forgive you. You have ruined my team and ripped out the hearts of Redskins fans everywhere. You little chump!

Posted by: ChristianGriffith332 | January 28, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

The carousel continues.I just wanted to put my 2 cents in this morning.I called the Redskins,and E-mailed them my request to cancel my season tickets immediately.I want nothing to do with this organizaton period.The owner has stuck it to the fans far to long.I wouldnt care if they again named Joe Gibbs as coach again.As a life-long fan of the Redskins,I am tired of the impatience of this one way owner,and the way he decides to run this business.I'm tired of the rate increases,in tickets,parking,food and beverages,etc.I work extremley hard for my money,and not about to waste another cent on this team.I'm really sure there will be alot of player turnover next year,so expect those jerseys to be put to sleep next-year,While the idiot owner OVER-PAYS for another free agent so you all can buy somemore garbage.This guy stinks.I hope the stars on this team quit on this guy,Because this fan has...

Posted by: sharptown1 | January 28, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse