Mel Kaufman Dies at 50

From the Associated Press:

Mel Kaufman, a linebacker who played in three Super Bowls with the Washington Redskins and was a former scout for the team, died Saturday night at his home in Santa Margarita, Calif.

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo announced Kaufman's death Monday. An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday.

Kaufman, 50, played on Washington's victorious Super Bowl teams in 1983 and 1988, and in the 1984 title game, when the Redskins lost to the Los Angeles Raiders. He scouted for the Redskins in the 1992 Super Bowl, when they beat the Buffalo Bills.

A defensive team leader and team captain with the Redskins from 1981-88, Kaufman was a starting linebacker on NFC championship games in 1982, '83 and '87. He started 78 of 91 games after making the team as a rookie free agent in 1981.

Kaufman was limited to six starts in 1988, his last season, after a shoulder and neck injury. After retiring, he was a scouting supervisor for the Redskins through 1998.

Kaufman had been working as linebackers coach at Cal Poly since last spring, and he helped guide the Mustangs to an 8-3 record, a Great West Conference title and their second NCAA FCS playoff berth.

He played on the school's Division II national championship team in 1980 and was a member of its athletic hall of fame.

"It's a tragedy. He was a good man and a compassionate man," said former Cal Poly coach Rich Ellerson, who became Army coach in December. "I pray that the stress of the coaching business wasn't a contributing factor. He was just a good guy, a passionate guy, a Mustang."

Kaufman had been out of football for about 10 years before he was hired 11 months ago at his alma mater. During that time, he worked at a family owned moving and storage company in Los Angeles, as a mental health counselor, and coached football, basketball and baseball at Masada High in Gardena, Calif.

"We took a bit of a chance with him because he hadn't coached before at this level, but there were a lot of compelling things in his background as a player and scout, as well as who he was as a person," Ellerson said.

Kaufman and defensive back LeCharls McDaniel, who also played for the Mustangs' 1980 national championship team, both were signed by Redskins general manager Bobby Beathard as free agents after a workout at Cal Poly in 1981.

"He was very cerebral, didn't make very many mistakes and brought a lot of life to the team," Beathard said.

Funeral arrangements were pending.

By Cindy Boren  |  February 10, 2009; 10:11 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More Special Teams Minutia
Next: Redskins Re-Sign Westbrook, Add Assistant

Comments

cindy, welcome back!!! and sorry to hear about mel. 50 is way too young.

Posted by: dealer1 | February 10, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Hey dealer! Nice to be up here for the day. I'll be back for real on Feb. 17.

Posted by: CindyBoren | February 10, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

btw...cindy, you looked fabulous with tk and mike with your turtle neck. no comment on the other two...tony should've worn the jacket imho...

Posted by: dealer1 | February 10, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

So sad, 50 is young. I got to think of a good question for the gibbs interview using the phrase "great bunch of guys"

Posted by: alex35332 | February 10, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

cindy, i think i just figured out the kind of vacation you're on...

Posted by: dealer1 | February 10, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Sorry to hear about Kaufman, I'm curious if they plan on doing an autopsy, to determine if there was a connection between his football playing, and his untimely demise.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Mistamoe - Like a guy who keeps getting burned, Im hoping the FO starts thinking long term, not stop-gaps.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 10, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

juaqin phoenix's stage name(or his hip hop name) entry: peanut m&m (yellow)

Posted by: dealer1 | February 10, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

another entry: coldstone cheesecake fantasy

Posted by: dealer1 | February 10, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

maggie moo's cake batter

Posted by: dealer1 | February 10, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | February 10, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg,

I heard a interview with Bill Cosbey, Go Temple Football, recently where he is really big on researching that issue, says that we need to get rid of pop-warner leagues and youth leagues because of the lack of the development of the brain until one's an adult and long term damage. Long term this will become a major issue

Posted by: alex35332 | February 10, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Shout out to Cindy.
I keep hearing stories (and reading articles) about the average life expectancy for an NFL'er is right around 50 years old. This is due to number of hits their body has to take, and how that literally takes years off their lives.

I'm interested in finding out what the autopsy reveals. I hope there will be post when that info comes out.

Posted by: Predator48 | February 10, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"A Kaufman played for the Skins? I thought my only namesake from the NFL was Napoleon...sorry to hear about him though.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | February 10, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse"

Are you kidding you didn't know Mel Kaufman? Wow am I old.

Milot/Olkewitz/Kaufman/Coleman...a beast LB squad. Lunch pail dudes who played smart and had all around game. Love'em. RIP Mel!

Posted by: chrislarry | February 10, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

RIP and shouts to Mel Kaufman. As I said, you'd think at 50 the man had more than a few good years ahead of him.

I didn't know who he was until yesterday when news about his death broke - I seen he was the starting LB during all 3 SB seasons, but had his career shortened due to injuries.

He played his whole 8 year career with Washington, regardless of the amount of time he played, to play that long with one team in these times are very rare.

RIP and shouts....

Posted by: RedDMV | February 10, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I know that in the very recent past, the name escapes me, but they did an autopsy on a player who had passed away, and there was signifigant shrinking of the brain/damage to the brain to the point that medical people likened this person's brain to that of a person 40 years their senior. This is a HUGE issue, that Goodell need to focus on.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Can those of you with memories about Kaufman share them up here? I confess mine are very very hazy.

Posted by: CindyBoren | February 10, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

FYI a related article about former players dying early.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 10, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"Are you kidding you didn't know Mel Kaufman? Wow am I old."

You're ancient. I've only been around for the 1992 super bowl.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | February 10, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Technically, this isn't vaca, just comp time for me. The Jasons and I are trying to take some of it now before it gets really busy near the end of the month, when free agency begins. Not sure about the average age, Predator, but it seems like I read an awful lot of NFL player obits on guys who are in their 50s....

Posted by: CindyBoren | February 10, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Cindy, Can we get coach Joe to reflect on Mel on today WPL?

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 10, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Sad to see a guy die at 50.

Footballers don't live long, though.

Peace to Mel's family and friends.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I think the nflpa and the league need to look at some of the younger deaths and see if football was attributable.

Sad for his family, prayers.

thrid note, six flags was named in a 15 business that may not survive the year... hmmm, along with rite-aid, krispy kreme, sbarros and trump entertainment LLC

Posted by: Zeebs | February 10, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Z- I read that yesterday also. Maybe Dan will have to sell the Skins to stay in the lucrative amusement park business.

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 10, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

sadly etrod, it seems he is cutting here to save there...

Posted by: Zeebs | February 10, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, my memories of Kaufman are hazy too. I do remember acquiring a Mel Kaufman trading card in 82, I had him and Mark Murphy. Don't ask me where they are now tho. I watched the '82 season, but I don't recall any Kaufman highlights (I'm sure there were).

I just remember the overall linebacking corps then was very solid, very smart, not overly agile, but you weren't going to run on them that much, and they (Milot, Kaufman, Olkey, and a young Monte Coleman) were rarely out of position.

Posted by: Predator48 | February 10, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

So maybe Jasno can retract the apology he had to write last summer for saying Six Flags was 'In the tank'?

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 10, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 10:48 AM

I think you maybe talking about (a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Waters")Andre Waters.(/a) He played safety for the Eagles, and tragically committed suicide in 2006.

This tripped me out when I read it: "... Omalu claimed that Waters sustained brain damage from playing football that, he said, led to Waters' depression cited in a NY Times article.

Dr. Omalu determined that Waters' brain tissue had degenerated into that of an 85-year-old man with similar characteristics to those of early-stage Alzheimer's victims."

Posted by: RedDMV | February 10, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

bingo, thanks red.

anyone who thinks that the Redskins, and Six Flags are somehow related financially is missing the boat.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I like for us to look at Mulitalo. Didn't he play for Baltimore when they won the Super Bowl.

Posted by: Predator48 | February 10, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Mulitalo will be 35 at beginning of next season. We need to get younger.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 10, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | February 10, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

'...This is a HUGE issue, that Goodell need to focus on...'

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 10:48 AM

There was a recent story about Ted Johnson, the former Pats' linebacker, that went into detaail about most guys have tons of health issues after playing football.

Many older players feel that given the league's popularity and massive funds from tv contracts, more money should into providing extensive health care services for them.

For every story about some young guy getting a huge signing bonus, there's a guy who was a star in the 60s'-70s who now can't walk or needs his wife to help him eat.

Mike Ditka is big on this issue.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 10, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Ted Johnson blames a lot of what he's going through right now, that being, getting divorced, being depressed, other health issues, to him sustaining multiple concussions, some of which was as a result of Bill Belichick demanding that he practice while he was recovering from a concussion.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

boy those were the days eh...kaufman, milot, olkey and monte...

with a front 7 like we had back then...

man...those were the days!!!

rip cinco cinco!!!

ud think danny boy having grown up a fan in that era might understand the value of the front 7 on both sides of the ball...

Posted by: deadskin | February 10, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Mulitalo will be 35 at beginning of next season. We need to get younger.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 10, 2009

Dam, didn't know he was that old. Pass!

Posted by: Predator48 | February 10, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I posted a rumor about a week ago that Bodden might be cut from the Lions. He will be 28 in Sept, had several good years with the Browns. Grew up in Hyattsville, so might like to sign with Skins. I'm hoping we can resign Hall and keep Rogers, but Bodden is perhaps someone we can have if we cut Springs or trade CR.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 10, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

i must be really old, well, the memory of Kaufman, for those of you who have asked, that sticks out the most in my mind was in the 1982 championship against Dallas, after the skins had let the cowboys get close, it was 21-17 with the skins ahead, Kaufman intercepted a Hogeboom pass which set up a Moseley filed goal which padded our lead to 24-17. i think it was in the 4th quarter, but i can't remember for sure. my memories of him blend in with the other linebackers that people have mentioned that were part of a defense that will never be mentioned as a great defense, but seemed to come up huge. with big plays by unlikely players, in so many playoff victories against teams with great offenses. RIP Kaufman

Posted by: namichal1029 | February 10, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I found out about Mel's passing on Yahoo; it was one of the top AP news stories for the NFL today. So I came to washingtonpost.com for more information, expecting to see it on the front page. Instead, I had to dig deep on the Sports page for a rehash of the AP story! Sad. Mel was a big part of the Redskins' D for many years, never a hint of scandal associated with him. He deserves better from the Post.

Posted by: Donderro | February 10, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: deadskin | February 10, 2009 12:08 PM

On the contrary, I think its his desire to mimic the past redskins strategy of line building, thats hurting him the most.

If you look at the original Hogs, I think 2 of the guys were undrafted, I know at least Jacoby was. The rest were low rounders. The only high draft pick on the o-line was Mark May. On the d-line, other than Mann and Manley, the middle of it was made up of free agents and cast-offs (Butz, Grant, McGee).

So by Danny-boy logic he probably figured that as long as Joe Bugel was coaching the line then he could take anybody off the street (low picks, free agents, undrafted)and make them all-pros.

This thinking would then leave him and the Vinnster free to drool over the glamour positions that put butts in the seats.

We all know Danny's not an innovator, he'll always go with what worked before or with a known commodity.

Hopefully he realizes with the "failure" of Gibbs 2.0, he won't be able to reconstruct the '82 Redskins again, and he'll actually have to address the lines the right way.

Posted by: Predator48 | February 10, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | February 10, 2009 12:17 PM

The big question if we sign Leigh Bodden, can we make him change his last name to Torrence!

Posted by: Predator48 | February 10, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I think bringing in Bodden could be a good move for the team. Probably wouldn't cost a lot, and he's a young talented player.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

A NOTE TO CHRISLARRY: First and Foremost how's the girl? Hope she and the wife are doing well,thanks for remembering Mel,you're right Mel,Rich,Neil,(MD.TERP)and Monte were the bomb two way backers most of the time and they could play and knock the shizzell out of anybody that came in their area,man fifty is way too young, this is going to spark more investigations concerning brain damage/concussions if the autopsy reveals anything, sad very sad to hear about Mel. Well ChrisLarry take care of both of those young ladies.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 10, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I remember the Post mentioned Kaufman playing with a cape on his back. He was that good.

Posted by: RedCherokee | February 10, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 12:53 PM |

Wow. To take Tryon's Spot? Sure give him a $10Mil signing bonus to not play.......

Posted by: RightWay | February 10, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

rw, what's that all about.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

John Carney, 35 out of 38 fg's and the Giants aren't going to resign him. Kicking in FedEx is a little easier than the Meadowlands, maybe we'll actually bring in some real competition for Suisham? unless signing a dramatically better player isn't technically competition.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 10, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, cL, hope the fam is doing well.

I'm sure Sam & Sonny could riff on Kaufmann for days.

50 is too young. But "The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very brightly, Roy."

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 10, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee

Posted by: Predator48 | February 10, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, I dunno if somebody could give Richie Petitbon a ring, but I'd love to hear his memories of Mel K.

Like chRIs LarRy, I remember so well that stout LB corps featuring Kaufman... not a superstar among them, but they were just so freakin' competent.

Such sad news...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 10, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Wizards fans BOW TO YOUR MASTERS

The Charlotte Bobcats are HERE TO STAY FOLKS

current starting lineup :

PG Raymond Felton\DJ Augustine
SG Raja Bell
SF Gerald Wallace\Vladamir Radmanovic
PF Boris Diaw\Cartier Martin\Sean May\Juwan Howard
C Emeka Okafor\DeSagna Diop\Nazr Mohammad\Alexis Ajinca

Emeka plays PF\C
Diaw plays SF\PF
Vlad plays SF\PF

We're the BEASTCATS and we're HERE TO STAY

we'll be in the playoffs next year!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 10, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"I remember Pat Summeral would pronounce his name "Coff-man", but Al Michaels would always pronounce it "Cowf-man""

Al Michaels was right, no one ever pronounces it right though.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | February 10, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

rw, what's that all about.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 1:38 PM

This:

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 12:53 PM |

-----------------------------

We have #1 Springs, #2 DHall, #3 CR22, #4 Smooot, and #5 Tryon.

What do you suggest we do with all of these guys who are all signed save for DHAll??

4th

Posted by: RightWay | February 10, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

we'll be in the playoffs next year!

Posted by: TheTruth11

Yawn. And we should care because?

Posted by: Predator48 | February 10, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence?! We talkin' 'bout Leigh Torrence??

Leigh Torrence & Willem Dafoe Hate each other. I won't go into detail as to why, but it had to do with the open auditions for Cry Baby.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 10, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 10, 2009 1:40 PM

Pass

Posted by: RightWay | February 10, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Why?

Because I'm The Truth and I'M BACK numbnuts!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 10, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

So you're back, eh?

Back off your meds?

Back on the booze?

Back to vehemently denying your patently obvious status as a "regular" in this commenting community?

Back to your bizarre pattern of aggressively hyping teams most of us couldn't give two sh!ts about?

Back to being thoroughly insufferable?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 10, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Back 2 Life?
Back 2 Reality?

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 10, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

lmao etrod!

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

We have #1 Springs, #2 DHall, #3 CR22, #4 Smooot, and #5 Tryon

Well, how about this:

Springs played in 9 games last year, is another year older.
DHall is unsigned, and there hasn't been any progress that we know of.
Rogers, according to the guy on this blog is destined to be traded
Smoot played 'poorly' at best last year, and the team could use an upgrade.
Tryon is an unknown.

So when a young and talented cb comes available, sure, I think its worth taking a chance on him.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

We have #1 Springs, #2 DHall, #3 CR22, #4 Smooot, and #5 Tryon.

4th

Posted by: RightWay | February 10, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse
Release Springs, save $8 mill. Use cap space to sign Hall. If we trade CR, we bring in Bodden as #2. And we have a 2nd rd draft pick.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 10, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Wrong Turd11, F the bobbycats...

I don't think that current team is capable of beating neither the Celtics, Cavs, or Magic - in the playoffs.

Larry Brown can't and won't stay for too much longer, due to his age and his history of bouncing from team to team.

Jizzards suck because they have a owner who won't go over the luxary tax. If they, the Wizards, do get the number 1 pick in the draft, they'll just trade it away anyway...

As a city, D.C. has to have the worst ownership overall when including all sports.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 10, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SonnyFan | February 10, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 10, 2009 1:40 PM

Pass

Posted by: RightWay | February 10, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Really? that's fine, you can pass, I'd take him in a heartbeat. A top flight kicker and an above average punter would mean at least an extra win possibly two for a team like us. But I'm sure we'll ignore it for another year or draft two guys we cut after 3 games.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 10, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Kaufman definitely played above his ability and was a contributor. God bless.

Posted by: ElYeah | February 10, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

however do you...

Posted by: RedDMV | February 10, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Because I'm The Truth and I'M BACK numbnuts!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 10, 2009 2:04 PM

Well thats just super.

Anyway, Al Michaels was the only one I ever heard pronounce it Kowf-man. Even Herzog and the radio boys pronounced it Koff-man. So I figured Al had it wrong.

Posted by: Predator48 | February 10, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

sonny fan, you gotta come with something more than that.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I remember Kaufman. He was a solid LB. My favorite back then was Neal Olkewicz, who was always being told he was undersized, not fast enough, etc.

You can't measure heart, which is why I'm not a fan of people who tout draft picks based on their size, i.e., "He's 6' 5", 323 lbs!"

Yeah, and maybe he's a lazy bum once he gets his signing bonus.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | February 10, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 2:12 PM

So shouldn't you be wanting the Skins to sign DHAll if that was your thinking? Atleast we saw how he would fit within our system.

Bodden is a DC native and had 2 good years in cleveland. He was a worse bust to Detriot than DHall was to the Raiders.

Why lean to someone you don't know vs. someone you do?

Posted by: RightWay | February 10, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

don't be SCURRED REDDMV

U MAD cause the Bobcats dominate!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 10, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 12:53 PM |

Wasn't Bodden named to the anti pro bowl for having such a bad year? I'm just sayin...

Posted by: will_ga | February 10, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

rw, sure I want to sign Hall, but at this point it time, NOTHING has transpired from that.

Also, releasing springs saves 6-8 million in cap space. Based on how many games he played last year, he's not worth that kind of money.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Bodden sounds like a character from a Nathaniel Hawthorne novel.

The answer is No.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | February 10, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

JAck he'll be like 45 next year.

And he can't kick over 40/45 yards. So, you would then have to use 2 rosters spots for a kicker.......

Posted by: RightWay | February 10, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Sonny Fan,

reports?

doesn't that have something to do with journalism?

Posted by: matthewvickers | February 10, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

RIP to #55, Mel Kaufman who was a stalwart LB on those great Gibbs teams in the 80's that were more defined on their teamwork than on just talent. The LB corps of Monte Coleman 51 - 3rd down situational LB, Neal Olkewicz 52 - MLB, Mel Kaufman 55 - OLB and Rich Milot 57 - OLB were a cohesive unit that made plays. They were a smart group of good character guys which is what Gibbs was known for bringing. Mel Kaufman was the LB who wore the pad behind his neck and occasionally was substituted for Coleman on 3rd down. He tore his achilles in a 86 game against the Raiders and was replaced by Calvin Daniels who then wore #56. Daniels was not an upgrade though and it was Kaufman who got his job back in '87. Growing up in Chicago in the 80's, I didn't see many Skins games but the ones I did see were taped and thoroughly watched over an over to see the guys. I always liked Kaufman and like the rest of the defense at that time, made up for the lack of talent by being smart and limiting of mistakes. The Redskins defenses in the early to mid 80's were always good. The 82 team was one of the best, the 83 team was the best against the run, terrible against the pass largely because teams got behind against them and were forced to pass. The 85 defense was the best in the league against the pass and I believe top 5 overall. He was a big part of these defenses and was a good guy. 50 is way too young for a guy to go these days. He will be missed.

Posted by: JWPinCHI | February 10, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

we'll be in the playoffs next year!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 10, 2009

Well that's not really saying much. Currently, the bobkittens are losing over 60% of their games. Why no love for the Hawks? For once they are actually playing decent and showing some heart.

Posted by: will_ga | February 10, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Who the Eff cares about the NBA? Particularly the Bobcats and Hawks? I'm sorry, I must have misread the print at the top of the page that said "Crappy NBA teams Insider".

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 10, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

he will be 44, and considering he was 5 of 7 from 40+ and 1 for 1 from 50+ and two of his only 3 misses on the year were blocked he'd be a massive upgrade on Suisham who actually left multiple 40 yarders short.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 10, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"Anybody know if the local report is true about the Skins dealing picks for Boldin?"

Is that some sort of sick joke?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | February 10, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Um, FA hasn't started yet.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 10, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Why lean to someone you don't know vs. someone you do?

Posted by: RightWay | February 10, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

DHall was a bust in Oakland, but not when he came to DC. And he was All-Pro in ATL. We need to sign him.

I'm in favor of keeping CR22 also. Young, good coverage, good tackler, bricks and all.

I'm in favor of releasing SSprings, and if we could sign Bodden, I would release Smoot also.

Hall and CR with Bodden and Tryon as backups. I think that would be pretty strong.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 10, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Mel was a beast and part of a formidable linebacker crew that brought much joy to the DC area. Very sad to hear of his death at such a young age. RIP Mel.

Posted by: garrafa10 | February 10, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for that day to come around...wonder who they'll sign. I'm hoping for Dansby.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | February 10, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I hope they sign no one the first day...too much crazy money...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

So i tell Torrence i want to go skydiving, next thing i know me and Leigh Torrence are enlisting in the 101st airbone. The next day Torrence and me steal and a C-130 and go out for our first jumps. Leigh Torrence is flying the plane alone, so i ask him how long he knew how to fly planes, he says 23 min and we had been flying for 37 min at this point. So we get ready to jump and before we jump Torrence goes into the cockpit duct tapes a bottle of jack daniels to the pilots seat. He says "this here bottle will land the plane", so we jump. The plane immediatly nose dived and crashed into a local orphanage, errupting into flames and killing everyone in a 100 yard radius. Anyway the point of the story is that i can't locate my pants.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 10, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Very sad - cause of death?

Posted by: nativedc | February 10, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Obviously not familiar with Kaufman's post NFL days, but the way the NFL and the union treat the retired players is obscene. Many players have horrid struggles, mentally and physically.

I was stunned last year when Al Michaels asked for contributions from the public for the retired players fund. All these millionaires and more than a few billionaires and they won't even take care of their own. They want ME to take care of them!!

Forgetting the players who left too much of themselves on the field is a dirty little secret that is not so secret and extremely dirty.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 10, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Very sad - cause of death?

Posted by: nativedc

An autopsy will be performed tommorrow.

Posted by: Predator48 | February 10, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

If Leigh Bodden is one of our top 2 corners next year we are gonna be worse off than most people think we already are. Bring him in to compete with Smoot and Tryon for the #3 spot after cutting Springs and resigning Hall.

Carney might be a slight upgrade but they should just shell out money to one of the better young FA kickers and solve that position long term if they are giving up on Suisham. Carney missed 2 FG's in the playoff game against Philly that were around 45 yards.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | February 10, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Is that some sort of sick joke?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | February 10, 2009 2:37 PM

As much as I wanted Boldin in a Skins uniform last season ... and it'd still be a very good thing ... he's likely way too expensive at this point. Going to a Pro Bowl and Super Bowl tend to make a guy expensive.

Still, its tempting to push for that, just to see Greg's blood pressure go whacko again.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 10, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Some great Kaufman/80s LB corps memories. Won't add to much, other than to say for about 8-10 years there you didn't even worry about LB. We rolled four deep guaranteed with a few role players (Pete Cronin anyone?) thrown in. As solid a unit as I have ever seen in the B&G.

dargregmag & Dik: Thank my bruthas...fam is doing great everyone having a blast. I am even Mr. Moming it every Thursday to help keep the need for Nanny down to 2 days.

Someone said where is Mark Murphy, you must have missed the Brett Favre/Packers stories last summer b/c he is president of the Packers and almost brokered peace before the GM/Coach blew it (or saved it depending on your POV). He is a lawyer and spent a good amount of time in the NFL players union after his playing days were done.

Anyone remember when Landry challenged Murphy to a foot race claiming he was the slowest player he had ever seen? Good times...

Posted by: chrislarry | February 10, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

while you can't deny Boldin's talent, JC wont be able to get the ball to him, from the ground.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 10, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

can Leigh Torrence play WR?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 10, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Bodden sounds like a character from a Nathaniel Hawthorne novel.

The answer is No.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | February 10, 2009 2:24 PM

I can't resist, what's the matter with Bodden?

What did he do, besides the girlfriend thing like 3 or 4 years ago?

I MUST carry the DMV flag - imagine a DC, MD, VA flag mixed.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 10, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

From the Post's Paul Attner's summary of the 1982 NFC Championship game:

The Redskins' offense needed another break. It got it moments later when Hogeboom tried to pass to Tony Hill down the right sideline. Kaufman, covering anyone in his short zone, saw the ball coming and made a fine leaping, over-the-shoulder interception at the Dallas 40.

Posted by: docjohnson | February 10, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I was just a kid, but I definitely remember MK. For the strangest reason, I remember this play above all others:

The ball doesn't go near him, it gets thrown to the opposite side where Green makes a play. I recall vividly, to this day, my feeling right before the play started. #40 (Alvin Walton right?) says something too him right before the snap. I was terrified that the Vikings had caught the Redskins with Kaufman covering a receiver or something. I was so scared, then obviously elated the next moment.

My neighbors and I took turns being Darryl Green re-creating the play. But, even today, 21 years later or so later, I think can totally recall thinking about Kaufman on that play. Weird huh?

Sad to hear that he's gone.

AMTTS

Posted by: ArtMonkToTheSticks | February 10, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

no offense Red, but anybody who's mom associates with YOU, I don't want those character issues on a team I cheer for

no offense

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 10, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Cindy and all at WapO...I would love to see some stuff from Petibone/Gibbs/Milot/Coleman/Mann/LB coach Pecitello...

Seems like a cat that was on 2/3 SB teams and an 8 year Vet, all starters when not hurt...deserves more than an AP repost....

Posted by: chrislarry | February 10, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV-
"Okay, so what? Yeah he's from here and I know his mom, so I'm a little biased, and?

"

Cute smiley face bra- I know his moms too ;-)

Posted by: richard_cranium | February 10, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | February 10, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Awesome Art!

Thanks!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 10, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

mother FFFFFFFFF

me too dumbed down today!!!!!

drich, smiley faces are my speciality. i love leaving 'em. i stay killin' 'em with kindness...
---------------------

no offense

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 10, 2009 3:48 PM

whatever 11th Turd, so who's the 12th Turd in your house? I can tell you who's 13th though:

your moms.

anybody that had to bear the ordeal of bringing you in this world and rasing you is one truly unlucky and sympathetic individual.

she has my utmost condolences.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 10, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Sh?? I didn't see anything in the local paper about it. Fifty years old? I'll have to see if they say what the cause was in the Tribune. Santa Magarita? Up the grade just before Atascadero. Clean air, awe inspiring beauty, no traffic, not at all crowded yet folks like Mel Kaufman still die? Whazz up with that? Hmmm I wonder if he was having "elective" surgery ...

I'm on the case now.

Posted by: periculum | February 10, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

RedDMV

don't get mad

cause I'm

#1 with the BOOYAKAH

Posted by: TheTruth11 | February 10, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Periculum update:

Cal Poly assistant coach Kaufman dead at age 50
Tribune staff report

Mel Kaufman, an assistant football coach at Cal Poly and a former Mustangs’ linebacker, died in his Santa Margarita home Saturday night, according to Cal Poly.

No cause of death has been announced for Kaufman, who died three weeks shy of his 51st birthday. An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday.

Kaufman was a linebacker on Cal Poly’s NCAA Division II championship team in 1980. The next year he began an eight-year career in the NFL with the Washington Redskins, playing from 1981-88. He was part of the teams which won Super Bowls XVII and XXII and lost Super Bowl XVIII.

Cal Poly linebackers coach Mel Kaufman died at his home Saturday night. The cause of death is unknown.

_______________________________________________

%&^%$#%^ doctors here and/or diabetes perhaps. Just went to a funeral for a Cal Poly Professor-essa. 12 hours under anasthesia for plastic surgery "procedures". The Santa Barbara Cosmetic Clinic set her to a hotel across the street to "recover". There she died.

One thing about DC (see my comments about Walt Whitman high and why it is one the premier HS's academically) they do have some of the greatest doctors on the planet. It is something to be thankful for even if the verdamnt skins stink.
_______________________________________________

Posted by: periculum | February 10, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Complete update by Periculum:

“Gosh, what a shock,” Joe Harper, head coach of the Mustangs’ 1980 championship team, said in a news release issued by the university. “His experience in the pros speaks for itself. He was an exceptional player and an exceptional young man. He probably did more to realize his potential than most of the other guys that I know.”

Last year, Kaufman joined the Cal Poly coaching staff as a linebackers coach. He remained on the Mustangs’ coaching staff after former head coach Rich Ellerson left for Army in December.

“It’s a tragedy. He was a good man and a compassionate man,” Ellerson said in the release. “I pray that the stress of the coaching business wasn't a contributing factor. He was just a good guy, a passionate guy, a Mustang.”

Kaufman had been out of football at the college and professional levels for about 10 years before he was hired 11 months ago to coach the Poly linebackers.

“I hired him because of his past, the number of guys he played with over the years who were passionate about him and the kind of person he was,” Ellerson told university officials. “We took a bit of a chance with him because he hadn’t coached before at this level, but there were a lot of compelling things in his background as a player and scout as well as who he was as a person.

“We still needed to teach him how to coach, get a foothold, work up the ranks. It was really hard on him. It was learn by doing for him.”

Born Feb. 24, 1958, in Los Angeles, Kaufman earned two varsity letters in football at Santa Monica High School, graduating in 1976. He played four seasons with the Mustangs after a redshirt year in 1976.

“I said to myself, ‘Wow, this guy is real skinny at 198, maybe 202 pounds. He’s not going to make it at linebacker,’ ” former Redskins general manager Bobby Beathard said in the release. “But he worked out real well, so I told him we’re not going to draft you, but we will sign you anyway after the draft. We got both Mel and (former Cal Poly defensive back) LeCharls (McDaniel).

“I bought Mel a whole bunch of protein powder and peanut butter, and told him to start lifting to gain weight. He got up to 218, 220 at the start of the 1981 season and ended up playing at about 215. He just did just an amazing job.”

In the NFL, Kaufman didn’t disappoint. He recorded 18.5 sacks and seven interceptions with the Redskins, returning one 70 yards for a touchdown in 1983. He also recovered five fumbles in his NFL career, also returning one for a score in 1983.

He announced his retirement on July 5, 1989, after a shoulder and neck injury limited him to only six starts in 1988.

Funeral arrangements are pending at Chapel of the Roses in Atascadero.

Posted by: periculum | February 10, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

CHARACTER: something most guys Snidely and Vinnie pick seem to lack in spades. Snidely Owl read about this guy next time you sign undrafteds or go after LB FA's.

Posted by: periculum | February 10, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Marlon Greenwood cut by the Texans, immediate UFA, a cheaper LB with starting experience here's to hoping Vinny's not on vaca

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 10, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Peri!

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 10, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Nobody remembers that Hall is under contract until after free agency starts, meaning we could trade him as well. Maybe we sign a guy like dunta robinson, most likely for the same price tag as hall or rogers, and then trade hall for an extra pick

Posted by: DaFunBunch | February 10, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

"Kaufman’s service in the NFL didn’t end with his playing days. He was a scouting supervisor for the Redskins until 1998."

And then Vinnie the Yum Yamster came into the fray along with everyone's favorite Snidely Owl.

Posted by: periculum | February 10, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

you can't trade players not under contract, and his contract terminates at the end of the season. There's just a waiting period until other teams can sign UFA to give teams time to resign their own guys. But we don't own his rights now and we cant trade him.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 10, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DaFunBunch | February 10, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

no other teams can sign a player heading into FA until 12:01 AM February 29th. If a player with 4 years service is cut they are an immediate UFA, if a player is headed to FA they can't be signed or even talked to by other teams (theoretically) until Feb. 29th, but at the same time we have no rights over Hall and cannot trade a player who isn't technically under contract. We could work a deal out with another team to where we sign him to the contract and then trade him, but as it stands we can't trade him to anyone until we extend his deal. And if that isn't done by the 29th, he can go to any team he wants.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 10, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

No Feb 29th this year.

Posted by: skinswest | February 10, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

"No i dont think thats right. Vinnie said he is under contract on his radio show. He said no other teams can sign him so maybe he is an exclusive rights FA he is under contract until the end of Free agency

Posted by: DaFunBunch | February 10, 2009"

Separately from the rules listed I believe he signed only on condition that the Redskins not "franchise" him or do anything that would otherwise restrict his access to the FA market.

Posted by: periculum | February 10, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

R.I.P. Mel. This fan remembers.

Posted by: funkmasterhendog | February 10, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

The "league year" for the NFL :
Art. 1, Sec 1.(g) “League Year” means the period from March 1 of one year through and including the last day of February of the following year, or such other one year period to which the NFL and the NFLPA may agree.
So, DeAngelo's current contract expires Feb 28. So if someone really needs him on their team for the next two weeks -- you know, to get access to the right scrip club or something -- I suppose a trade could happen.
In theory, his agent is only allowed to talk to us right now. My secret hope is that we just barely get beaten out by the CowPies as they sign him to the richest contract ever for a CB. Then we give him a new nickname -- Pacman comes to mind -- and laugh all next year. My secret fear is the same, only the team name changes...

Posted by: daggar | February 10, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

No Feb 29th this year.

Posted by: skinswest | February 10, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrence is a Free Agent. There is no March 1st, muthafu**a

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 10, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't have insider information. I live out of state now but my buddy told me that he heard on 980 a terrible rumor that the Skins, who only have 4 picks anyway, are gonna deal picks for Boldin.

I guess the fact that we have a bad O-Line and mediocre QB doesn't bother Vinny, who might think that traiding picks for a WR will somehow fix all that.

Posted by: SonnyFan | February 10, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is it sad that on a Blog titled Mel Kaufman dies at age 50, you have to pick through the fights, the constant trashing of the front office, who they should sign and shouldn't, and an NBA argument to find out what people are saying on the Blog's subject. There is an unbelievable amount of vitriol on this blog. I get the fact that some people may have not remembered him but this blog was about the same thing as a fight breaking out at a wake. Come on guys, what the F? Have some civility.

Posted by: JWPinCHI | February 10, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Uhhh.... This is what the RI has been all about. Where have you've been?

RIP Mel.

Posted by: Predator48 | February 10, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Mel's death is certainly a big deal where I'm sitting here ... close enough to go to his services. Criminy if its not one thing its another.

Yeah RI does have a lot of vitriol. I will say this about the Boldin rumors. That isn't Vinnie so don't blame him. He doesn't have the GM title, no has the GM title because my Rockville/Aspen Hill Homey Snidely Owl has it. If that idiot trades away the future again for a frickin' wide receiver then he ought to be tarred and feathered and drug down Rockville Pike.

Posted by: periculum | February 10, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

If they don't sign Hall, and trade Carlos Rogers, then the first pick will almost certainly be a corner back. And the OL will be in desperate straits.

The OL needs at 3 young 1st - 2nd round picks to play on the left side. The right will be fine ... FOR NOW, year or two max. Clearly we seem to have problems from the 3rd round on ... and looking at our 2nd round pick receiving corps + tight end?

It almost makes you want them to do whatever trade it takes to rebuild both lines with the highest possible draft picks. Except they really don't have any skill players any other team would want other than Campbell, Cooley, and La Ron Landry. At this point, if they could get 6 or 7 mostly 1st and 2nd rounders and THEY HAD SOMEONE who would carefully just pick linemen on both sides of the ball ... it might just be worth it. You can always sign an FA like Leftwich along with a Kerry Collins for now.
Landry would be missed but the grand experiment kind of lost its lustre with the loss of Sean Taylor. Cooley is relatively easily replaced.

Plus a couple of FA linemen who are young and talented?

Yeah, its risky but what have they got to lose at this point with almost no OL and rapidly aging Mike DT, linebackers and defensive ends?

Posted by: periculum | February 10, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

The Skins could have traded for Boldin this offseason if the crop of rookies had shown something. Especially the OL, DL and LB's that they picked. If 3 or 4 of them had shown themselves to be solid players, then the Skins would have some flexibility to make a trade for Boldin.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 10, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

"Wait ... What? The Skins took 1 OL and never played him, 1 DL and barely played him and no LBs ... Were they f-in nuts?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 10, 2009"

Easy enough to explain. Both were flops. Neither could play at a high enough level to get into games. Unlike someone who was undrafted oh like Stephon Heyer.

Bad picks across the entire draft. A complete waste as far as linemen are concerned.

Posted by: periculum | February 11, 2009 3:00 AM | Report abuse

My sense that it's completely out of the question for the Skins to land Anquan Boldin at whatever exorbitant cost that would require has led me to a persistent worry that Vinny and Danny will actually make it happen... oh good grief. I want to go back to worrying about how they're going to squander picks and ignore the O and D lines instead of worrying about some gigantic horrific flavor-of-the-month plash like Boldin.

This team, this front office... sheesh.

And to the dude above, exasperated about the range of subjects on this thread which ostensibly should be dedicated to the passing of a terrific Skins player, I absolutely get where you're coming from, but that's not how this thing works. All the conversation happens on the current thread, regardless of the putative topic of the current thread, and that's almost always been the case up here.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 11, 2009 3:28 AM | Report abuse

Has anybody heard from kost52, our man down under, since those awful wildfires have swept through that part of the world?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 11, 2009 3:31 AM | Report abuse

Haven't heard from Kost, but the fires weren't that close to where he lives.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 11, 2009 4:03 AM | Report abuse

Cooley is relatively easily replaced.

What??

Zeron Flemister, Robert Royal, Walter Rasby, Stephen Alexander, Jamie Asher, Scott Galbreath, Ethan Horton, Ron Middleton, Terry Orr, Don Warren, Clint Didier, Rick Walker, Jean Fugett, Jerry Smith.

40 years of tight ends for this team.

Smith was great -- in the 1960's and early 70's.

No 700 yard season had been recorded by a Skins TE since Jerry Smith in 1967 -- until Chris Cooley came along.

Cooley has had 4 seasons, all over 700 yards and 2 Pro Bowls.

Yes, I know Gibbs preferred blocking TE and with his WRs, the TE didn't need to be a major threat.

But its really clear that Cooley is easily the best TE the Skins since Jerry Smith, over 30 years ago. And he's been consistently productive.

To say Cooley is easily replaced ... well, a little history lesson says its just not the case.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 11, 2009 4:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | February 10, 2009 11:38 AM

Noooooo ... NOT Sbarro!! I should have figured that they wouldn't last ... esp. because they couldn't get around to funding the acquisition of that last vowel ...

Posted by: dcsween | February 11, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

What? No Krispy Kreme? NOOOOOOO!!

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2009 7:50 AM | Report abuse

It's a shame how all of the retired players have gone their separate ways. The team should do more to keep them in the fold. Guys like Kaufman were the sould of the Redskins in the Beathard - Gibbs era: brown baggers who left it all out on the field. Maybe the team should have some public reunions with the older players. I mean we know about the Riggo's and the Theisman's of the world, but what about those unsung heroes? What are guys like Jeff Bostic and Monte Coleman doing right now? Maybe the Post should do several "Where are they now?" pieces. It just seems a shame that these guys that are such an important part of the Redskins history seem to fade into the sunset without any further acknolwedgement by the team and fans for what they did.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 11, 2009 8:13 AM

Yeah, that's what happens when you retire. It's a fine line between keeping them in the fold and living in the past. They used to be like that in Pittsburgh before they won these last 2 Super Bowls and the current players resented it a bit. They had their day and the current players deserve to get the attention. I think the team already does a pretty good job of marking key anniversaries...anything beyond that is overkill.

Posted by: brownwood26 | February 11, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Mornin all zcezcest1 that is a great history lesson beatdown.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

'...Zeron Flemister...'

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 11, 2009 4:31 AM

This sounds like the pharmacuetical name of a cream you'd use to stop a nasty itch.

And despite the history lesson, name the NFL team that one a Super Bowl because it had a dominant tight end?

The name of the game today is the slot or 'z' receiver in a three wide out set.

Heath Miller was invisible for the stillers this year: Holmes, basically the 'z' receiver in the stillers' offense, won the game for them and was the go-to guy on the final drive.

Look at how Wes Welker helps out the Pats offensive and you get a better understanding of why the tight end--like the fullback-- is not the position of value folks like to make it out to be.

Again: Moe harps on the notion that the one position that'll save the Skins next season is the receiver spot opposite Moss.

Heck, I'd move Moss to the slot receiver position and that way, he could be moved by the use of motion, covered in bunch formations, and access option-crossing routes in the center of the field where Campbell seems to throw his best balls.

Moss and Cooley running rub-offs and crossing/delay routes in the middle of the field is a much better scheme change than resorting to that silly smoke screen every other offensive series.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I assume there can't be trades of contracted players until March 1st?

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 11, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

And Moe - I agree w your synopsis.... unfortunately the lines are even MORE of a need than that, and it would cost us a pick or two to get a Boldin.... although I wouldn't mind giving up a 3rd this year and 3rd next year for him.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 11, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I feel like the big thing about the league today is that runs out of a Jumbo Ace package is not working. LB's are too fast and if your are gonna run go all in and throw up that FB.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

ryp, in that scenario, the team would have used two second round choices, and two third round choices on 3 guys playing receiver, in the last 2 years. I'd rather they focused on either line at this point.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 11, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I agree Greg - I'd rather they did too. Although I do think Boldin is more of a "sure thing" than drafted lineman in the 3rd round or lower.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 11, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

No one is getting Boldin for less then a 1st and a 2nd or 3rd and a 2nd or 3rd next year.

The Skins need Boldin like A-Rod needed the steroid report to become public.

What good does Boldin do if the QB is sitting on his a$$ most of the game.

The Skins need lineman otherwise this team will be a joke again this year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

If anyone can name me a team that won a SB and again that is what you play for, without a dominate O-Line or a dominate D-Line, I would say then maybe we could go after Boldin.

There is no way you can win a SB without one side of your line being dominate.

The Pats, lost last year because the Giants had a dominate D-Line and a good O-Line.

The pats have a very good O-Line but not good enough in that game.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Flounder.
I agree.
Its Football 101.
But we always forget that.
Dumb GM's think they are too smart for it.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Flound, a first and a third probably, maybe even a first, third, and fifth like the Roy Williams deal. But that deal everyone said the Cowboys drastically overpaid, there is no way he goes for a 1st, 2nd this year and a 2nd, 3rd next year. Nobody is worth that much. Plus, the cards don't really have the leverage, he has said he will absolutely not accept any new deal there so eventually they have to move him or get nothing for him.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 11, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Mel Kaufman, may you RIP. Your in a much better place. To some of you youngsters up here Mel was the epitome of heart, hard work, good character, discipline, and proffessionalism on and off the field. A lot of these characteristics are missing from a lot of current Redskins and players on other teams. He was a self-made player with not a bit of quit in him and an integral part of the defenses of the 80's glory years, sadly never to be seen again unless changes are made in this abysmal front office.

Posted by: 72Redskins | February 11, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

zj, the cards absolutely have the leverage in this case. Boldin is under contract for the next 2 years. The cards don't have to do ANYTHING, and they still hold the upper hand.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 11, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

F Boldin. Fix the lines to echo some of the smarter people on here.

TE may not be a position that makes a huge difference but it sure is nice to have a dude like Witten, Gates, Gonzales making catches over the middle. They are matchup nightmares for teams. And Heath Miller is a solid receiver but his blocking is what makes him a great TE.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | February 11, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I'm not saying I want him, I'm tired of watching us chase WRs, our corps is just fine if we had a dominant Oline.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 11, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I wish you would all stop clamoring for linemen. Don't you realize that Vinny reads this blog and does the exact opposite of what we all want? How else can we explain last year's draft?

Posted by: Original_etrod | February 11, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 11, 2009 9:44 AM |

The Cards have all the leverage he is under contract for two more seasons they don't have to do anything.

He will either show up and play or start getting fined.

Boldin is the one with no leverage, if he becomes a cancer to get out then, he will not get the contract he is looking for.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

From PFT, They explain it a little better.

CARDS WON’T BUDGE ON BOLDIN?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2009, 8:47 a.m. EST
Though the Arizona Cardinals apparently are willing to give receiver Anquan Boldin a new contract that better reflects his value in light of the current market, we’re hearing scuttlebutt from folks familiar with the organization’s thinking that the team will not budge on Boldin’s renewed request to be traded.

The thinking is that, because the Cardinals hold his rights for two more seasons, they can keep him around for 2009 and then consider trading him in 2010, the final year of his contract.

Boldin has made it clear that he wants out. But, as a practical matter, he has no leverage.

As Terrell Owens learned nearly four years ago in Philly, being chronically disruptive might eventually work, but only after losing a significant chunk of bonus money and becoming a local villain. As Chad Johnson learned last year, failing to show up will require repayment of plenty of money that has already been received and/or spent.

In the current economy and with an uncapped year looming, NFL teams likely won’t be quick to give up their contractual rights, especially when those rights are extremely favorable to the team in question.

It’s a fairly simple situation. Boldin voluntarily signed a contract binding him to the Cardinals through 2010. He agreed to accept a salary of $2.75 million this year and $3 million next year. No language was included to adjust his pay to reflect the contracts subsequently given to players like Larry Fitzgerald.

We think there’s still a chance that the Cardinals will squat on Boldin for the next two seasons, slap him with the franchise tag in February 2011, and trade him thereafter.

Though Boldin might not like any of it, he can do nothing to force his way out of the situation.

That said, having a guy around who isn’t happy and who doesn’t want to be there and who is being grossly underpaid in comparison to Fitzgerald could eventually cause trouble for the franchise. As evidenced, however, by his fairly quick return from a broken face, Boldin seems to have a genuine passion for the game. So even if he has a stick up his butt about his contract, he doesn’t seem like the type who’ll jeopardize his ability to continue to suit up and play.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

And they really don't have any leverage, he has made it known he wants out, he wants to get paid, but that he will play out his contract if necessary, just like last year. So other than keeping a malcontent on their roster for two years, they don't have a ton of leverage. It isn't a situation like Roy where he was perfectly happy to stay in Detroit so they held all the cards (no pun intended). In this situation the Cards can keep a guy who isn't happy, they can extend him (which they probably can't afford thanks to Fitz), or they can get their best deal and move him. But its not like they have all the leverage cause Boldin doesn't care whether he is traded or not and is happy to be there, they are under pressure to do something with him, and whenever you're under pressure you don't have ALL the leverage. Certainly they are going to get a nice deal if they move him, but not a 1st, 2nd this year and a 2nd, 3rd next year. That would be a lot even for Brady or Manning much less a receiver.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 11, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

From PFT, God I wish he would retire already he sucks anyway.

FAVRE TELLS JETS HE PLANS TO RETIRE
Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2009, 9:48 a.m. EST
Ed Werder and Chris Mortensen of ESPN report that quarterback Brett Favre has instructed his agent to inform the New York Jets that he plans to retire.

Werder received an e-mail from Favre regarding his decision.

“[G.M.] Mike [Tannenbaum] and [owner] Woody [Johnson], as well as the entire organization, have been nothing short of outstanding,” Favre told Werder via e-mail. “My teammates[,] Thomas [Jones] and Kerry [Rhodes] included, were a pleasure to play with. [Coach] Eric [Mangini] could not have been any better. I enjoyed playing for him. My time with the Jets was short, but I’m honored to be given that chance.”

Favre undoubtedly mentioned Jones and Rhodes because both of them were critical of him in the wake of a failed 2008 season, during which Favre’s performances disintegrated down the stretch. Jones even suggested that Favre should have been benched.

So what does this all mean? We’ve got more to come on this.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

ugh, can't Favre just go away. Retire, go to your ranch where-ever it is, and just go away.

With Favre out of the picture, do the Jets go after Cassel??

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 11, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

i was sick of brett favre two years ago.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 11, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

bean, that's a good question... what would NE have to give up?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 11, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I can't imagine New England would want to trade Cassel within the division unless they are sure he is a product of their system and benefitted from playing with Moss and Welker. Especially to the Jets. Those 2 teams hate each other. They'd probably demand 2 first rounders.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | February 11, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

bean, that's a good question... what would NE have to give up?

Posted by: RedDMV | February 11, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

NE wouldn't give up anything except Cassel I think is how that works.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 11, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

So the Jets lost their first round pick for Favre and tossed their 2nd qb and now Brett is gone. At least we got 2-3 seasons out of Brunell.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

now the Jets on the other hand, if they sign him to an offer sheet and NE didn't match it, then they would owe the Pats two 1's, or if they could work out a trade which the Pats have given Cassel's agent permission to try and do.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 11, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

they franchised him, red, and at the highest tender, so I believe that carries an automatic 2 first round picks if the Jets sign him and the pats don't match it.

I'm going out on a limb and saying that Cassel will come back to earth so to speak, if he's on a new team next year.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 11, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

BEANTOWN: Wasn't Cassel just franchised by the Pats? Would Jets be willing to give up a 1st for him. Flounder;thanks for common sense post and do we want Bolden yelling at Zorn during the game(just kidding) but we need line help and until we shore up that part of our team (both sides)noboby's gonna make a difference.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 11, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

The Jets may just be as poorly managed as the Skins

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

the jets would be DUMB to make that deal for a guy who's probably just a system QB anyway.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 11, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 11, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

linemen over receivers

you need to cross the line of scrimmage, this is started up front with the line. once this is won, you can run and pass.

now lets recite our abc's.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 11, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | February 11, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Common sense that we don't want Boldin, totally agree, but not common sense that it would take 2 1's and 2 other first day picks to get him.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 11, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

if jets want to succeed they need to get out of the shadows of the patsies...

Posted by: dealer1 | February 11, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I say lineman, in the draft too, but I don't say trade up to get a guy at a position that you already have 3 players under contract for 2 spots! We need 2 guards and one can argue a center immediately. Tackle is a brewing need yes, but Samuels, Heyer, and Jansen can get the job done for 1 year. I still say we should trade back and go Alex Mack if he's there and a guard or if not go guard guard with our top two picks. The interior of our line is in the more dire situation, Thomas regressed mightily, currently we have nobody at LG and Kendal is 137 with bad knees so even if you resign him at the minimum you can't reasonably expect 16 games from him practicing part-time, and Rabach has played decently but got abused at times last year and has always had a knack for the massively costly penalty.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 11, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 11, 2009 10:46 AM |

Were did I say it would take 2 number 1's,

I said a number 1 and either a 2 or 3 this year and a 2 or 3 next year.

The Cards can ask for what ever they want because they are in no hurry to get rid of him.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Tackle is more pressing than guard or center. People are able to get bye JJ too quick and Heyer can't run block. CS will probably not stay healthy through a season at this point.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

My bad, but still, 4 picks in the top three rounds, no way, but you're right, they can ask.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 11, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

someone is gonna fall to 13, and I would not at all be surprised if Oher were that guy. Back in january, he was at the top, or near the top of most draft sites ranking tackles. Now, Jason Smith has moved up to the #1 spot, and Oher is sliding. Also, I don't see Curry going that high, I'm not seeing it with him.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 11, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I guess I just disagree, JJ has fallen off some sure, but your tackles are going to get beat every now and then, the other guys get payed too. Heyer played pretty darn well for Samuels and he and Samuels when he comes back would be a decent starting tandem for a season then you can address it next year. They also would be helped a lot if JC had a pocket to step into but he never ever did. You can't fix everything in one offseason, and while I don't argue tackle is a need, it isn't the same level of need as finding a starter at LG and upgrades over Thomas and Rabach. Athletic guards who can hold the point of attack in passing downs and get out and pull in the running game would mean a lot more to this team right now than a rookie tackle would who may or may not be an upgrade over what's there. But you can be sure a Alex Mack or Duke Robinson or both is an upgrade over what's there now.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 11, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

excuse me that was supposed to say over the 3rd rookie tackle.

Posted by: zjfr2 | February 11, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

an impressive combine makes all the difference where these guys are drafted.

if Curry was to put on the best performance at the combine for a LB, I wouldn't be surprised if he's drafted that high, if not number one.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 11, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

red, agree to disagree on Curry. I can't see Detroit picking him #1 overall.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 11, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

i say we mortgage away all our picks for boldin!!!!!!!!!!!! we're just one receiver short of a championship and everyone up in here knows it, fer real.

Posted by: dadanimal | February 11, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Please folks...

Let's get off the "We Want Boldin" bandwagon.....

It's the same wagon that broke down for us some years ago when it was called by various other names:

The "Bring Back Gibbs" wagon

The "We Want Spurrier" wagon.

The "We Want Ramsey" wagon.

The "We Want Colt" wagon.

The "We Want Campbell" wagon.

Ooops: we're still riding that one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Zfj,
Not saying we don't need interior guys either. Lets be honest if we are not using a line of 5 new young guys in the next 3 years the team is SOL. But my gut tells me that our CR RT will still be able to get it done.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I am in the "RFK=SB wagon" If the team started play there again instantly would start wining. Pluss if they modified it they could have a heavy cloth retractable dome put on it and we could get a super-bowl.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

40 years of tight ends for this team.

Smith was great -- in the 1960's and early 70's.

What's happened since? Fugett made a Pro Bowl in 1977. Alexander made a Pro Bowl in 2000.+++--zcezcest1

I agree the skins should keep Cooley. Just pencil him in to start and move on to d the REAL redskins problems.

That said, trying to make your point by downgrading he impact of the Superbowl playing crew that included Warren, Diddier and Walker doesn't fly.

It was a nice combination of talent, guys who could catch, guys who could block, winners all. Numbers? Who cares. They were terrific pros. They were the heart of Gibbs 1.0. They were used as biockers, receivers, H-backs. And, I should point out, without them the skins haven't come close to getting another Superbowl, despite the presence of Cooley.

Posted by: TheCork | February 11, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

'...The Jets may just be as poorly managed as the Skins...'

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 10:34 AM

My god, could this be true?

Yeah, as the Jets let the one quarterback they could depend on--Pennington--go to an in division improving team--the Dolphins-- that also goes into the next draft with 9 picks.

When you think about this, do you think the fans of the J-E-T-S have more to beef about than those of us in Redskinsland?

Heck, yeah-a

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Does a trade for brett seem a DanVinish move, or not?

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

red, agree to disagree on Curry. I can't see Detroit picking him #1 overall.

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 11, 2009 11:19 AM

It's the lions, for one, and two, they might want to prove to everyone how serious they are and decide to go defense or ANY position that isn't WR.

You never know. especially with teams with ownership like the Lions... which makes me think...
----------
Everyone says that Vinny must go and is thought of amongst many as THE problem. While I don't disagree with that, I also don't buy it completely either. It makes me wonder about the Lions and the fact that they finally fired Millan.

Does anyone think that Detroit will be a winner any time soon, I don't.

The ineptness will continue as long as the dudes at the top of the food chain are making all the decisions.

Much like here in Washington.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 11, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Does a trade for brett seem a DanVinish move, or not?

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Might not stop DanVinish though.

Posted by: skinswest | February 11, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Matt Mosley from ESPN http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast

Big Brian B. from Gainesville, Va. writes: Matt! How's life treating you? Just grinding it out in my 9-5 cube. Either way, I'm a 'Skins fan desperate for some good news. So tell me, do you have a good read on who the 'Skins are expected to cut? Hook a brother (or just me) up!

Mosley: Brian, when he's not on the radio, your personnel chief Vinny Cerrato has been burning the midnight oil. The Redskins didn't have much to show from their three second-round picks last April. They have faith that those guys will eventually come around, but right now, they're all feeling a lot of pressure. That's what happens when an organization lays about 40 people off.

The Redskins have to focus on their offensive and defensive lines. I talked to at least one man at Redskins Park who has watched a ton of film on Ole Miss offensive tackle Michael Oher. When Chris Samuels went down with a season-ending injury, the team's running game virtually disappeared. You have to create some more depth on the offensive line. On defense, you can't afford to go into '09 with aging pass rushers. The Jason Taylor trade turned out to be a bust. There's no way you bring him back. I think the Redskins are spending a ton of time identifying the top pass rushers in the draft right now. Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo is a guy the Redskins really like. I'm also hearing that Penn State OLB/DE Aaron Maybin is someone the Redskins have spent a ton of time on.

Posted by: skinswest | February 11, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

"...Sounds like Vinny and Co are at least looking at the O and D lines with the first pick..."

Posted by: skinswest | February 11, 2009 12:13 PM

If Oher can be had with a lower slot in the 1st round, it makes you wonder if the Skins can acquire an additional picks by moving down.

The note about the Penn State player Maybin suggests not drafting Orakpo 1st, and hoping to bag Maybin in the 3rd.

This sounds like the beginning of a plan.

Such as it is.

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 11, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

From PFT,

REPORT: PARCELLS TOLD FINS HE’D LEAVE
Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2009, 11:34 a.m. EST
We speculated on Tuesday that the Miami Dolphins converted the 30-day cash-and-carry clause in V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells’ contract into an open-ended “leave whenever you want, with pay” arrangement because the outgoing owner Wayne Huizenga and incoming owner Stephen Ross feared that Parcells would exercising his right to fly the coop once Ross acquired control of the franchise.

As it turns out, they had such fears.

As it also turns out, such fears were justified.

According to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, Parcells told the franchise that he would indeed leave.

“I will exercise my right to leave once this season is over and the team sale is complete,” Parcells reportedly informed Huizenga.

Parcells’ vow to walk sparked the discussions that resulted in an unprecedented arrangement that essentially entails Parcells working for free over the next three years, since he could take all the money right now and leave.

It gives Parcells incredible power over new owner Stephen Ross, and forces Ross to essentially tiptoe around Parcells.

And the key man to watch in this arrangement isn’t Parcells but Ross. Really rich guys hate being in situations like this, where a man with a much smaller net worth holds all the cards. So, in the throes of a bad day or a weak moment, Ross might say or do something calculated to get Parcells to eat that huge piece of cake he currently has on his plate.

We’re convinced that, whether instigated by Ross or otherwise, Parcells eventually will.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

No way Maybin slips to the 3rd round?

I'd say put feelers out for the price of Vernon Carey. That gives us some wiggle room at #13 in the case the 4 tackles are gone and we don't like the D-lineman left... and hopefully can trade down for 3 interior lineman in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 11, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

While it would be nice to get some extra picks trading down, if Oher is the guy they want and he is there at 13 you take him. The only way you can trade down is if you are switching with whoever at 14 and know they are taking someone else. Otherwise you run the risk of somebody jumping in front of the Skins to take him. That would be our luck and then we would reach on the next best tackle. Or just draft another WR.

Posted by: Posse81_83_84 | February 11, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

The way OT's went in the first round last year I would go ahead and take Oher at 13 if the other 3 are gone. The likelyhood of getting him later in the first seems remote.

Posted by: skinswest | February 11, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

From PFT,

TEAM-BY-TEAM CAP NUMBERS
Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2009, 12:25 p.m. EST
We’ve gotten our mitts on the current team-by-team salary figures for 2009.

But while the 2009 salary cap will be $124 million, keep in mind that some teams’ limits will go up based on “likely to be earned” incentives from 2008 that weren’t reached, and thus carry over to 2009.

Likewise, a given team’s cap limit could be reduced based on “not likely to be earned” incentives that were reached in 2008, and thus must be accounted for against the 2009 cap.

Whatever the specific limit applicable to a given team, all teams must be in compliance with it by the close of business on February 26, 2009.

The current list by team, rounded to the nearest million, appears after the jump.

Cardinals: $84 million.

Seahawks: $103 million.

Rams: $109 million.

Buccaneers: $86 million.

Titans: $93 million.

Redskins: $131 million.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I would take Oher at 13 unless I got a great deal to move back.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Redskins: $131 million.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 12:51 PM

Most irrelevant # ever.....

4th

Posted by: RightWay | February 11, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Cut Taylor, Springs, Griff, Marcus, and Thrash, and we move down to about $105 million. Gives us plenty of room for 1 or 2 FAs and our draft signings.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 11, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm on the 'NO to Oher' bandwagon.......

Most OVER-Rated tackle in the draft. He's not even a top 13 pick. He's a 2nd rounder at best. He will never be a LT. He's a RT foe life.......

Posted by: RightWay | February 11, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Ryp,

I agree 100%.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Rightway - but we want a RT. I certainly don't want Jansen or Heyer starting next year.

If we end up staying at #13, its gonna be hard to mess it up... unless we go WR or something ridiculous. I dont know who we'd take if more than 1 of the 4 tackles are left.

Posted by: Rypien11 | February 11, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

"Cut Taylor, Springs, Griff, Marcus, and Thrash..."

This is so obvious, but I bet come the 2nd Sunday in September at least 4 of those guys will still be here, if not all.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 11, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Everyone go to the bog and laugh at our GM

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Cut Taylor, Springs, Griff, Marcus, and Thrash..."

Posted by: RedDMV | February 11, 2009 1:05 PM |

If thats the case I will lose all faith.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Not big news but atleast it's news,

By Gary Fitzgerald
Redskins.com
Posted: February 11, 2009

Westbrook has spent the last two seasons on the Redskins’ practice squad.

He has seen preseason action each of the last two years.

Last year, Westbrook recorded seven tackles and one pass defended in preseason. In 2007, he posted six tackles and recovered a fumble in the end zone for a touchdown.

He has also served as a kick returner. In preseason last year, he returned six punts for a 7.7-yard average and three kickoffs for a 22.7-yard average.

Under NFL rules, Westbrook is not eligible to serve on the Redskins’ practice squad for a third year. So to stay with the Redskins for the 2009 season, he must earn a roster spot in training camp.

Westbrook, of course, is the younger brother of Philadelphia Eagles running back Brian Westbrook, a two-time Pro Bowler.

Since they have similar body types, Byron Westbrook has played his brother on the scout team in the practices leading up to Redskins-Eagles games.

Westbrook, 5-10 and 194 pounds, originally signed with the Redskins as an undrafted rookie free agent in May 2007.

He grew up in Washington, D.C., attended Dematha high school and played college football at Salisbury University.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Flounder
Good news I think Byron Westbrook has been a sleeping giant the fact that we have him impersonate his brother always catches my eye, that maybe he should be a scat back for us.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

From earlier - while we all agree or disagree on Jason Campbell's potential ability as a starting QB - it does occur to me that no one has ever said "We WANT Campbell" - we might be able to live with him, we might be able to hope he performs to his potential - but no one has ever said ... "he's the man!"

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 11, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

John, u mean the team or fans?

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

+++REDSKINS PARK, LOUDOUN COUNTY, VA. -- The Redskins have re-signed cornerback Byron Westrbook, the team announced on Wednesday.

Westbrook has spent the last two seasons on the Redskins’ practice squad.+++
Let the latest roubnd of Leigh Torrence jokes begin...

Posted by: TheCork | February 11, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Not to restart the beer debate...but this teaser is from FARK.Com

"India bottling cow urine and selling it as a refreshing drink. Hey, it worked for Budweiser"

Posted by: TheCork | February 11, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Cork I agree on the pure nastiness of Budweiser.

Posted by: Flounder21 | February 11, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Bud is bad until about 10 drinks

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Alex - good question - the fans - I mean, no one has over done anything to say - yeah, he's the next John Elway - (I keep meaing to look up Elway's stats from his first 2-3 seasons - I bet Jason's are comprable)

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 11, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

John, I think I've read some of the players who's said "he's the man" and they're confident in his ability.

Although this may have been before the slide.

I can't think of anyone in their right mind, except maybe 'Double Move' Rogers, who would have supreme confidence in him now.

I do think he's the best we have now.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 11, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

There's a time for budwiser. It just happens to coincide with monster trucks & daisy dukes.

Posted by: DikShuttle | February 11, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Elway
1985 Broncos 16 games 327 completions 605 attempts 54.0% 3,891 yards 22 TD 23 INT 38 sacks 70.2 QBR

1984 Broncos 15 g 214 comp 380 att 56.3% 2,598 yds 18 TD 15 int 24 sacks 76.8 QBR

1983 Broncos 11 g 123 comp 259 att 47.5% 1,663 yds 7 TD 14 INT 28 Sacks 54.9 qbr

Posted by: alex35332 | February 11, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork

I did cover that, when I said in that post:

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 11, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Liked reading that they're looking at, Oher and Orakpo. Don't like the Maybin stuff, he's too light, just don't like that at all...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 11, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 11, 2009 1:44 PM

Ask and you shall receive.

Elways's first two years were below average.

He ate magic beans or something in the offseason entering his third year.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 11, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

So, then Red - where does Campbell get some of those magic beans? - and agreed that the players feel like Campbell can get the job done - but - I mean - I've never seen an "I root for Washington and I like Jason" bumper sticker among the fan-dom.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 11, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I ate magic beans once....they just gave me acid reflux...

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 11, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

ah, well, them's the breaks with them magic beans - I'm sure you have a huge variety of them up there in beantown, though -

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | February 11, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: BeantownGreg | February 11, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

thats a link to a great youtube vid someone just put up highlighting some of mel's great plays. he was so underrated, and so overlooked in the grand scheme of things. but i loved him more than life itself...

Posted by: UMakeMeCrazy | February 11, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse