Mike Sellers says he'll play vs. Chicago

Only one player wasn't able to fully participate in the Redskins' practice session Friday: fullback Mike Sellers, who's been nursing a sore heel.

Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said he'd make a final decision on Sellers's status this weekend but added, "I anticipate Mike going."

Sellers, who was limited every day this week, took the coach's words one step further and guaranteed that he'd play Sunday against the Bears.

Shanahan said everyone else, including tight end Chris Cooley, was able to practice Friday in what Shanahan calls a jog-through session.

Safety LaRon Landry was limited on Thursday because of a sore Achilles, but Shanahan didn't seem concerned.

"He's fine," the coach said.

By Rick Maese  | October 22, 2010; 1:36 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Sellers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: While tweaking McNabb's throwing motion, Redskins stress consistency
Next: Bears game a homecoming for Mike Shanahan, Donovan McNabb

Comments

Sellers has played well for the last couple games.

Hey Briggs? Meet the Caveman.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: roccoskins | October 22, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Just my opinion but I think the QB class next year is overrated. I see three elite pro ready QBs this year. Mallet, Locker and Luck. I heard that Luck will stay another year and Mallet and Locker might both be top ten.
There are a ton of good WR to draft this year, that prob wont be to popular around here but it might benefit us to draft a WR early even though it would be a luxury compared to some of our more pertinent needs. Also a ton of good RB should come out this year, if we dont snag one I would be shocked.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm not making any excuses, but our schedule is FRIGGIN BRUTAL!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | October 22, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Awwwww poor Mikey has a sore heel....

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

While tweaking McNabb's throwing motion, Redskins stress consistency

I'm on a soap box, so excuse the arrogance and spurious rhetoric.

I have nothing but respect for Donovan McNabb.

And I have nothing but the highest expectations as I truly believe he is an elite NFL quarterback.

And at the same time, looking ahead, what I think we all want is a consistent, strong 60 minute, well-managed game effort from him.

His performing the other way around in that regard is what annoys.

And I have the sense that if Mike Shanahan is annoyed enough, the name 'McNabb' and word 'trade' will both be in the same sentence.

Again.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 22, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm not making any excuses, but our schedule is FRIGGIN BRUTAL!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | October 22, 2010 1:50 PM

Blessing in disguise. It's part of the team culture to play tough against the best teams, and make awful team look good like they got it going on. It's a total team effort, both sides of the ball typically play like c r a p against the worst teams in the league.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

rickyroge

I'm not making any excuses, but our schedule is FRIGGIN' BRUTAL!!!

I'd say it's the poison that will make us stronger.

Next season, we'll play the AFC East, our division (NFC East), and a mix of other teams all based on this year's finish.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 22, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

mcnabb would be more accurate with an improved o-line,

he would not be the best, but better

Posted by: retroskins14 | October 22, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4

This is one of the ways that coaches should be judged. Gibbs One players always beat the teams they were supposed to beat. We haven't seen that since, but I'm betting Shanny will right the ship in that regard. If so, I hope he is here a long time.

Posted by: NYPDee | October 22, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Next season, we'll play the AFC East

I've got some retribution in mind for one team in particular....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Vincent Jackson

this is the cat that I want.

VJ
SM
AA

I'll take those three as my starting WR's...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. I would like Vincent Jackson, but not for draft picks. If he hits the open market and they don't Franchise him, then money!

The guy that interests me is Steve Breaston. Had some good numbers, but always under someone's shadow, Boldin last year and now just Fitzgerald. I think he could really break out in the right system.

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe:

"We all want more on target throws mixed in with the occasional poor decision or bad throw."

QBs don't play in a vacuum, but I get that they are supposed to be the offensive leader.

The reality is young QB's become shell-shocked behind shabby O-lines (thanks Steve Spurrier & Vinny!), and older QBs go from Pro-Bowler to ranked #24 in the league.

McNabb is the 4th most sacked QB in the NFL--and IMHO he's actually done an excellent job of avoiding sacks! Another QB would have taken a lot more sacks.

No QB is going to look elite behind an O-line that's not getting it done, an unpredictable run game, and lacking serious threats a wideout.

My main concern is that McNabb is unlikely to survive the season without better protection, and we'll hop right back on the QB carousel.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 22, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

definetly not for draft pics...I'm not sure if they can Franchise him after this year....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 2:17 PM |

I like Jackson over Breastons whenever the opportunity presents itself (or themselves).

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

breaston will be cheaper then Jackson too, and no drink drive problems. I like Julio Jones better then both of them...

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

NERD!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

NERD!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 2:27 PM |

I beg your pardon? I thought that was rather clever and funny on a casual Friday.

Oh well.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Well we all know that S.D. isn't going to Franchise V. JACK. They didn't want to pay him that type of money before why would they pay him the franchise WR money.

Posted by: coop2401 | October 22, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

11 other teams have given up as many sacks as us or more...some other teams that are close have only played 5 games...not sure why this keeps getting thrown around about all of our sacks against?

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

A point of interest:

from nfl.com,

Last week, the NFL Players Association recommended that Jackson and New England Patriots guard Logan Mankins, also a restricted free agent, report to their teams....

I won't beat the 'trade for VJAX' dead horse.

But I will jumo on the Go Get Logan Mankins Bandwagon.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 22, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

A point of interest:

from nfl.com,

I won't beat the 'trade for VJAX' dead horse.

But I will jumo on the Go Get Logan Mankins Bandwagon.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 22, 2010 2:36 PM |

Here, here! Stud linemen are the RONCO Rotisserie Ovens of pro football players.

"...set it and forget it!"

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I like jackson over breaston!!!

I like julio jones over breaston

I love jackson n jones!!!

I don't think we use our first rn pick on WR.

The way I see our FA n Draft

Rnd 1- NT. We need a young stud, vince wilfork or bj raji style player
Rnd 2- C. We again need youth on our line n a youmg stud for shanny n mcnabb to groom. Build the line from the inside out. Waybach says bye.
Rnd 5- WR/RB. Look for a guy in the mold of Dex McCluster. Fast explosive weapon, a bigger brandon banks mold
Rnd 6-CB. Rogers will walk in free agency, someone else can deal with his non turnovers
Rnd 7- ???? BPA

Free Agents
WR vincent Jackson- already has one offseason with mcnabb, n we seriously need a deep threat. Galloways been a non factor

LG- shanny will look for a zone guy with strength n speed. Lickensacker has been getting man handled

DE- carikker is solid for another year of two. We need a young stud to go opposite of him. Kendric golston is decent but should be more of a back up role.

Thoughts??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 22, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh well.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 2:30 PM

Monk had to get his NERD quota in for the day.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I like jackson over breaston!!!

I like julio jones over breaston

I love jackson n jones!!!

I don't think we use our first rn pick on WR.

The way I see our FA n Draft

Rnd 1- NT. We need a young stud, vince wilfork or bj raji style player
Rnd 7- ???? BPA

Free Agents

Thoughts??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 22, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

re sellars:

You don't practice u don't play

this will prove if shanacool ego factor

if sellars plays without practicing shanacool is a liar

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 22, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I would like us to maybe get a Vincent Jackson or Jacoby Jones. Heck! Why not both of them?!?! But I still want to see us drafting our own guys. I mean Julio Jones and AJ Green look to be beast at the next level. Still I want to see us upgrade the WR position totally. I like AA, but I think we should still bring in two more young, big guys, to compete with Malcolm Kelly next year.

Logan Minks is a FA next year, it would be wise to go after him. I think we already have our future Center. He is on practice squad. But we need Guards.

Posted by: roccoskins | October 22, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

But I will jumo on the Go Get Logan Mankins Bandwagon.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 22, 2010 2:36 PM

Cosign on the jumo.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 22, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh well.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | October 22, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'll give you props, it was clever. I just think a NERD would choose money over boobies!

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 22, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

There not really any NT that are coming out that are all that this year. Marvin Asutin might be the best Dlineman but he is a stretch at NT, great DT though. The only NT that i really know of is this kid Kendrick Ellis for Hampton he was a transfer from South Carolina. If you know of any others give me a heads up however i dont think there is very much 1st round NT talent this year.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

For the C/G keep an eye out for Mike Pouncey, he is the twin brother of Maurkice the center for the steelers. He played guard at Fla until his bro got paid then went pro since then he has moved to the center position. Big talented fast kid, played both G/C looks like the kinda kid we need to score.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 22, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I think the first two may be switched stu.

If we end up in the midle of the draft, which I suspect we will, I hope we trade back to the end of the frist, get our Center.

I don't care where these positions get drafted expect our lines. D line and o line need some help fast. I expect 2 new guy on each side of the ball.

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 22, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Monk had to get his NERD quota in for the day.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

If I get one more in then I win a silk robe. Too bad it's in the same 'poopy brown' color.

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Says Sellers was limited dipsh*t, not that he didn't practice. Never ending nonsense with this dude.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | October 22, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't worry about a draft next year until they have a CBA. Because most of the talent is in the underclassmen and without a CBA why would they come out early.

Posted by: coop2401 | October 22, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Rnd 1- NT. We need a young stud, vince wilfork or bj raji style player
Rnd 7- ???? BPA

Thoughts??

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 22, 2010 2:46 PM |

I think you are waaaay wrong about Carlos leaving. NT? I don't see any in college worth a first round. It would be a reach. Interior Oline in 1st couple rounds, either 1 or 2. The other may be a 3-4 LB depending on who's around when we pick. We'll go after another interior Oline guy and maybe a WR in free agency. Probably dline too.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 22, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ToddStinkston | October 22, 2010 2:58 PM |

Indeed you are correct. That's why most of us have begun to ignore him. He will do nothing but frustrate you and make you feel stupider for having argued with him.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 22, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Rnd 1- NT. We need a young stud, Haloti Ngata type player.

Fixed it for ya...Raven's NT is an absolute beast was throwing pats OL guys around last week...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 22, 2010 2:58 PM

Since it's getting late I'll help you out...

I think Brian Burke's posts are very insightful and informative. Statistics and probability should be the only factor in coaches decisions during games. I wish Brian Burke would post a daily article here.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 22, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

The center I want is the kid from penn state

He's smart n athletic

This yrs puncey isn't as good as his brother, athough on this team id take either

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 22, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Peebo Peebo

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 22, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

scamp, right on target with the o line needing help.

If we go that route I say sturdivant, stud lb from north carolina

Then get wisenfiski or something like that, center from penn state.

Wr n lg should be addressed in Free Agency.

Hopefully carlos stays but he's gonna want a lot of money with a lot of desire for more production on the table

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | October 22, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse