Posted at 12:01 PM ET, 11/20/2010

Mike Shanahan wary of Randy Moss's abilities in second game as Titan

By Jason Reid

When the Tennessee Titans play host to the Redskins on Sunday at LP Field, Pro Bowl wide receiver Randy Moss will play just second game for the Titans.

The likely Hall of Famer began the season with the New England Patriots, was traded to the Minnesota Vikings and then claimed off waivers by Tennessee after being released by Minnesota. Moss had one reception for 26 yards in his Titans debut last week in a loss to Miami.

Obviously, Moss has issues, but he's still capable of being a big-time playmaker against the Redskins, Coach Mike Shanahan said.

"I saw him practice last year when I went to New England [to observe Coach Bill Belichick's program], and he practiced extremely hard," Shanahan said. "I was really impressed with his work habits and how he practiced. I've never been with him, so I don't know that well.

"I did watch him for a couple of days out in New England and I was very impressed with the way he handled himself and the way he practiced. That's the only thing I have to go by. Obviously, the trade from New England and then Minnesota, I just know he's a guy that you have to account for. He's capable of making some big plays and hopefully he doesn't do it this week."

By Jason Reid  | November 20, 2010; 12:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brandon Banks could see bigger role for rest of season
Next: WR Terrence Austin promoted from practice squad

Comments

Stunning.

Moss might be a problem.

Good job guys.

Posted by: edvar | November 20, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I'd go with Anthony Armstrong, Brandon Banks and Santana Moss on the field at the same time.

That's a lot of speed!

Posted by: rickyroge | November 20, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

That's a lot of speed!

Posted by: rickyroge | November 20, 2010 12:22 PM

Indeed, plus who could find the little fellas?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Is Shanny wary of this guy named Chris Johnson?

Heard he's pretty good...

Posted by: p1funk | November 20, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

"I just know he's a guy that you have to account for. He's capable of making some big plays" -Mike Shanahan.

General Shanahan, If you know this about Moss, why didn't you claim him when he was available? Now the Skins must win 6 out of 7 games to have any post season chance, what a genius.

Posted by: abxinc | November 20, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I would really love to know what Shanny told Danny about his expectations for this year. Think after a 4 win season Danny would have been thrilled with 8-8?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Where are all the geniuses who said Portis would never take another snap with the Redskins?

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 20, 2010 12:27 PM |

@Rypien11

consider all the injuries that CP has had the last few years and the injury being a groin, I'm suprized he's back so soon. I think between the injuries and the salary he'll receive next year, some fans feel he's done as a redskin. I don't think CP is back next year as a redskin, but who knows for sure

Posted by: hessone | November 20, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | November 20, 2010 12:53 PM

Here's the thing, Clinton could be a huge roll player for this team if he would except the fact that he can no longer be a feature back. He needs to look at guys like Shawn Alexander, Willie Parker, Larry Johnson, etc and see that if he insists on being THE guy then he will be no guy. This also comes with a pay cut. Thing is, is Clinton smart enough or humble enough to a) realize this and b) accept this? I'm sure I know everyone's answer to this but he seems to have accepted that he can not be THE guy anymore. Only time will tell.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 20, 2010 12:27 PM |

I plead guilty. I am very glad I was wrong.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 20, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abxinc | November 20, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

The old regime would have picked up Moss and given him a long term deal. Moss would have been a bad decision.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 20, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | November 20, 2010 1:06 PM |

agreed

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I predict a "fire" sale on Redskins at the end of the season.

Andre Carter....gone
Derrick Dockery...gone
Carlos Rogers...gone
Mike Sellars...gone
Phillip Daniels...gone
Maake Kemoeatu...gone
Roydell Williams...gone
Santana Moss...gone (contract is up)
Joey Galloway...gone
Clinton Portis...gone
Albert Haynesworth...gone
Vonnie Holliday...gone
Chris Horton...gone

...and my SHOCKER...Fred Davis or Chris Cooley

Personally, I'd go with Cooley. We might be able to get a fourth rounder for him. I LOVE Cooley, but he's getting older and with as many holes as we have we need to get younger. Davis has proven that he's athletic and neither Cooley or Davis are great blockers.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 20, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010

Beyond being the owner Danny Boy is also like us fans. As a fan I can't say I would be thrilled with 8-8.

Posted by: dcwun | November 20, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

This is where we disagree Roge. No way on the keep Davis over Cooley thing. You're wrong, Cooley is a decent (not great) blocker but Davis is awful. Trading a proven probowler for an unknown 4th rounder is foolish. I bet Moss is back, he'll have to sign for a fair price. Maake will be back but hopefully as a backup. Hayney? I don't know. I think the rest may be gone though. Holliday may stay as a backup too. We can't replace all those guys in one year.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm warmin up my oven o cook up a huge batch of crow as it appears my 10-6 or bust proclaimation is about to blow up in my face. although we haven't lost the dream yet, surely it is at the front door about to walk out on me. I will eat my crow proudly and promise to not smoke crack before making those type of claims again

Posted by: nflorida1 | November 20, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 20, 2010 12:27 PM

I said it and I'm glad he's back. We've missed his pass pro more than anything else. The 2007 CP isn't around anymore but he can help us for the next 8 games barring injury and we'll move forward without him next year.

Shanahan has been burned the last two games by only having 2 active RBs. Call up Davis and cut someone over the age of 37.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 20, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | November 20, 2010 1:21 PM

Here's the thing, I predicted 8-8 and after last year would be thrilled with it. Any rational person would be. Thing is, most fans aren't rational...especially us Skins fans. Here's the other thing, most people like to give Danny hell, and rightfully so. His transgressions are well known and documented. BUT, no one makes that much money by being an idiot. I'm hoping the light has come on and he switched from being a fan to being rational. In that light 8-8 with obvious improvements in the culture and feelings of entitlement are a huge improvement and signal for the future. He has to know that.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Yup, I think we'll keep Maake, Moss, Cooley and in a move that may surprise the fans, Rogers. Otherwise I think RickyRoge has it nailed with that list.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 20, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010

I don't think people give CP enough credit. He may not sound like it all of the time but I think he's a pretty smart guy. Most NFL players rarely understand the life expectancy of players in this league. I heard CP's interview recently and he talked a bit on how prepared he is if his career is over. Nice to see that and from what I've heard he's taken care of his money.

I do think he'll be here next year with a deal loaded with incentives. Shanny likes him a lot and you know how Danny feels about him. I agree scamp, he knows he doesn't have a lot of time left and he would fill any role asked of him.

Posted by: dcwun | November 20, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 20, 2010 1:31 PM

I actually meant to put Rogers in the "keep" list too.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

The 2007 CP isn't around anymore but he can help us for the next 8 games....

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 20, 2010 1:26 PM

Eight games? Diesel, ever the optimist, thinks we're going to have a wild card playoff appearance. Me, I'm skeptical.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 20, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | November 20, 2010 1:32 PM |

I agree with you that I don't think people really understand how smart Clinton is. Whether he will be here next year is another question. I'm 50-50 on it. I'll say this. I don't think he'll be here at his current contract numbers.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | November 20, 2010

I predict 7 on that list will be gone. The others will stay. You can't be in a rush to dump everyone without someone to replace them.

Posted by: dcwun | November 20, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he'll be here at his current contract numbers.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20,

I with ya on that. Like I said it will be at a reduced rate and the deal will be laced with incentives.

Posted by: dcwun | November 20, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | November 20, 2010 1:34 PM

9-7 with a 1st RD wild card loss..

Actually for some reason I can't seem to remember them playing last week.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 20, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Likin' the DE from Purdue Kerrigan.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Actually for some reason I can't seem to remember them playing last week.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 20, 2010 1:48 PM |

That's because they didn't actually play.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | November 20, 2010 1:41 PM |

dc,

Agree with you here but then in another post you say you would not be happy with 8-8. I know a rational person like yourself really didn't expect with the limited talent we have we'd be better then that.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 20, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

The way we looked the last 2 games I would be surprised if we reach 8-8.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

dc,

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 20, 2010

I always expect us to be playoff bound. This is why I never bet on the Skins because I am blinded when it comes to them.

I don't buy in the talentless roster stuff either. We have big issues on the O-line and could use WR help. I've seen DM have worst at WR and was still winning games. Defensively, I would not say we are significantly behind most. Man for man, the D isn't that bad. There play within this scheme? That's a different story.....

Posted by: dcwun | November 20, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Chut uo.

Posted by: tomass169 | November 20, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

The good news...and the sign of things a' changin' around here:

The Redskins are NOT havily financially locked into any of these scrubs. Most of Haynesworth's cash has been paid, McNabb's deal is fiscally responsible...

We are gonna have to go a little deep oin free agency this year since we have limited picks.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 20, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | November 20, 2010 2:09 PM |

ricky,

I think your right and at least now we know that the FA deals will be done the proper way. Make them earn there money!

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 20, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | November 20, 2010 2:09 PM

I don't mind free agents as long as they are first time free agents.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

The Skins can't keep Cooley and Davis next year. Darrel Young seems to be a young up-and-comer.

Do you trade Davis? What could you get for him? Do you trade Cooley? I know I'm about to commit Redskins blasphemy, but I don't think anyone on the offensive side of the ball is inexpendable except Trent Williams.

Posted by: rickyroge | November 20, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

DB
Antonio Cromartie
Champ Bailey
Eric Wright

...Let's go shopping!

Posted by: rickyroge | November 20, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Gotta pick up at least one of those Oline and draft one in the first round.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Do you trade Davis? What could you get for him?

Posted by: rickyroge | November 20, 2010 2:13 PM

beep-beep's theory of trade value: The only players you can get value for are the players you don't want to trade. For the 'Skins that would be Williams, Orakpo, Landry.

You won't be able to get value for Davis or Cooley. Both will be back because coaches don't need to upgrade there. You won't be able to get value for Haynesworth, but he will be traded for not much. Portis will be gone because he can't stay healthy. Maybe Torain, too. I think about half the guys on your list will be back as reserves. Rodgers will be back as a starter because he only has one glaring weakness.

As for the jersey fire sale most of the guys on your list don't have jerseys on sale.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 20, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Most of those free agents listed have an awful lot of miles on them. And the OL's available are a pretty unimpressive group.

Posted by: NickBarking | November 20, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | November 20, 2010 2:39 PM |

Davis has no value so anything you get for him is fair. Wouldn't completely count Portis out for reasons stated earlier. If your injury theory was correct MK12 would be gone, not on IR. What's value for Haynesworth? He's a non starter and a part time player. We know what he thinks he's worth. We know what Vinny and Danny's purse thought he was worth. None of that actually says what he's worth.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

That's a lot of speed!

Posted by: rickyroge | November 20, 2010 12:22 PM
------------------------------------------
A lot of speed but what if you audible to a run because the defense is dropping everybody back in coverage? Then you have Brandon Banks trying to block a guy that's probably an easy thirty pounds heavier than him. I like the occasional use of Banks to stretch the field, but I would much rather have two big guys, a running back and two receivers on most first downs and almost any short yardage situation.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 20, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

You know what I find odd about this morning? No? Well, I'll tell you. No snipping and fighting, rational arguments and pleasant conversation. What blog did I log into this morning?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

What blog did I log into this morning?

That would be Bizzarro RI.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 20, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

What blog did I log into this morning?

That would be Bizzarro RI.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 20, 2010 2:58 PM

I like it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

What blog did I log into this morning?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 2:55 PM

Do you think Ovechkin will be MVP again this year? Go, Caps.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 20, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Like they say about the weather down here in Hampton Roads, stick around it will change.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 20, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | November 20, 2010 2:39 PM
-------------------------------------------
I mostly agree, but I think Carter could command maybe a fifth or maybe even a fourth rounder if he agrees to waive the no-trade clause in his contract. Other than him, I think Jarmin could attract some offers. I like Jarmin but I am not sold on him in a 3-4 defense and I suspect the team will try to offload him in the offseason.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 20, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

It would be nice to get that third back for Jarmon but I think a 5 is more likely.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 20, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

WOOHOO beep beep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 20, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know anything about this Logan Paulsen guy? TE #82 6'5" 264. Was he just brought up from the PS or has he just been inactive most of the year? Good blocker?

Posted by: wireman65 | November 20, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

OK. So he is impressed. And why did he not claim him on waivers with the state of our wide receiving core being what it is?

Posted by: pmaddeng | November 20, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse