Bradford honored by Shanahan's praise

Coach Mike Shanahan is considered one of the best offensive coaches in NFL history, and tutoring quarterbacks is among his specialties.

So when Shanahan praised Rams rookie quarterback Sam Bradford the other day, people listened.

"Well, I've been watching him a lot throughout his collegiate career and in preseason games he went pretty good," Shanahan said. "He's very impressive. He's a guy that comes around once every 10 years, in my opinion. He's that type of quarterback. Maybe 15 [years]."

When informed of Shanahan's comments, Bradford said he was honored.

"That is a huge compliment," he said in a conference call with reporters who cover the Redskins. "For someone like Coach Shanahan to say that about me, it's just a huge compliment. When you hear things like that it makes you just want to work that much harder to prove to everyone else that you can be that good and be that type of player."

By Jason Reid  | September 23, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan, quarterbacks  | Tags:  Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Three defensive calls Jim Haslett would like to have back
Next: Spagnuolo's thoughts on matching a corner against a top WR

Comments

Just glad Bradford went FIRST overall so we didn't burn our 4th pick on a backup...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 23, 2010 6:20 AM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | September 23, 2010; 6:00 AM ET

Welcome to the NFL, Sam. This is what Coach Shanahan does. It's the equivalent of that time out to freeze the QB.

You need to put on a really good show for the coach. Coach is the real deal and you have to measure up. No pressure, just go out there and have fun.

On every play you need to look and see if Coach Shanahan is watching you. If he is, throw it like a guy who only comes into the league every 20 years. And if he isn't, then don't throw until he's looking at you. Rookie.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 23, 2010 6:41 AM | Report abuse

and to think the UPS drivers actually have it good!

the waiting list for that sorry position is like 10 years.

pity the poor fools who load the trucks!

right, beep?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 22, 2010 10:40 PM

just ignore beep-beep. he's a self-important, braying jackass. he puts down people who actually work for a living 'cause something's wrong with his own life. his wife probably cheated on him with a UPS driver.

Posted by: terrapin3 | September 22, 2010 11:03 PM

Chia cries for beep-beep to leave her alone but continues to bring his name up and terrapin3 it was chia that brought up UPS employees.

Read the blog follow along and ignore the azzhats (ITA). chia and all of her sock puppets take away from the what use to be decent dialogue here. Start there..
Posted by: Diesel44 | September 22, 2010 11:40 PM

-----------

Diesel, your post demonstrates what aged incorrigible imbeciles both you and your buddy beep are.

Beeps had made a habit of saying that this or that fringe NFL player is one step away from working for UPS. If you never picked up on the slight then you must not be paying attention.

Please let the whole "sock puppet" thing die already. First, you got the wrong guy, and secondly...

who the flying fork are you?

and third...

I post up here a handful of times a week, unlike the hundreds of times you and beep post. Yet FOR MONTHS ON END NOW, beep has obsessively continued to bring up my name, doing his best to run me off the blog and attach the troll label to me.

and yet you are fool enough to lick on his crusty choad.

As for who is ruining the "decent dialogue" up here you and beep are the worst offenders.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 23, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Man, posting here in the morning is soooo much better. poopy and all his sock puppets take control of the board in the evening and early morning hours. Drives me nuts.

brown, what can be done about our lack of draft picks next year. We need to somehow trade some dead wood for some picks. Any ideas ? It looks like AH isn't going to get us much in return if we trade that POS.

Posted by: hessone | September 23, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Now excuse me while I go to work.

Have fun on da blog today beepster.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 23, 2010 6:54 AM | Report abuse

heesone is clearly one of beeps sock puppets, the one made from the yarn he pulled out of his smelly tuckus.

have fun pumping each other up today gentleman.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 23, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

Now that Chia_Pet is posting, I take back what I said about the morning blog experience being better than the evening one, it was just ruined. Thanks, bye bye.

Posted by: hessone | September 23, 2010 6:59 AM | Report abuse

We need to somehow trade some dead wood for some picks. Any ideas ?

Posted by: hessone | September 23, 2010 6:54 AM |

Problem with trading players for picks is that the only players who have trade value are the ones we don't want to trade. It's not like our dead wood is someone else's bon fire. Only guy we could get much for is Orakpo. Or, if there's a bunch of injuries (or he plays lights out) this weekend AH's value could rise. Same with Carter. After that, though, I don't think we've got anyone who can fetch better than a fourth.

So, if we're going to get more picks next year it will be by trading down. Maybe a few late round compensatories if we lose a lot of guys to free agency.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 23, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Hess, I doubt anything happens on that front...as beep said, we've got nothing that anyone else would be willing to go out of their way for.

Not sure I'd be that enthused about trading down though...I'd rather get one stud in the 1st round than two or three role players later, at least while we're in this "win now" mode. If we get a gift like two 2nd rounders like Atlanta did a couple years ago, I'd do it...otherwise, I'd just play out the hand we have and hope that we make the most of a full bounty of picks in 2012.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 23, 2010 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Not sure I'd be that enthused about trading down though...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 23, 2010 7:12 AM

It's way too early to be talking about this. First, we need to see whether we re-sign McNabb. Then, we need to see who plays well this year, who else we re-sign, and what are needs are. Then, we have to see what are draft position is and what talent is likely to be there. Once we know all this, we can make intelligent fools of ourselves, holding forth like the true talent evaluators we aspire to be. Right now, it's not even a shot in the dark.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 23, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

A list posted yesterday indicates this guy Simpson is one fast dude. If this guy has hands and we can get him matched up on a LB it's TD all over again.

Posted by: hessone | September 23, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

Dear Mistamoe

I hate to keep asking you for advice, but it seems like you are the only person I can trust to give me clear and nonjudgmental answers to my questions.

Well anyways, here’s the problem.

Last October, in honor of Breast Awareness Month, my (then) boyfriend gave me a pink DM5 jersey.

Yeah, yeah I know what you’re thinking -- oh no, not another interdivisional relationship -- because yes, he was an Eagles fan, while I will bleed burgundy and gold until the day I die.

And sure enough, our relationship was pretty much over at that point anyways -- in addition to the on-the-field stuff, we had problems with sexual compatibility and commitment issues -- in that he was never going to keep a hot blooded woman like me satisfied with that “little man” of his, and besides, he was so bull goose raving loony mad that he really needed to be committed to Arkham Asylum or something.

I also don’t know why he thought I would ever want or wear a pink jersey when I am so clearly a leather and PVC kind of woman, but at least he didn’t give me the pink TR7 jersey that’s so popular among the “rainbow warrior” crowd in Dallas.

The trouble is, DM5 was playing for Philly at the time -- and so this pink jersey might look okay to some at a passing glance from a distance, but on closer examination you can clearly see the Eagles logo and wording. So there’s no way in the world I could ever wear it -- even if I wanted to -- but I have still kept it for sentimental reasons -- and the thought I might be able to use it to clean the mud off my spiked, 6” stiletto heel, thigh-high boots or something.

You already know I can’t really afford to buy another jersey, but I am willing to make a sacrifice for a player who is willing to make a commitment. However, I am worried that I have yet to see much evidence that DM5 is willing to make a long-term commitment to my favorite football franchise and vice versa.

So here’s my question:

Should I go out, take a chance, and buy a real burgundy and gold DM5 jersey, or should I just drop by the Halloween costume shop and see if I can rent a DM5 jersey for the rest of the season?

Sincerely

Still Stumped

Posted by: Vic1 | September 23, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be trading for any '11 picks. If ever there was a year to ignore the draft and play the free agent market, its 2011.

The market is going to be flooded because of all the RFA's from '10 becoming UFA's in addition to the normal crop of UFA's that will also be there.

2011 will be a Dan Snyder wet dream.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 23, 2010 7:38 AM | Report abuse

Still Stumped

I'm not moe, but if you bleed burgandy and gold there's no way you can wear an Eagle's jerset. Besides Vic, you look better in a Redskin's jersey !

Sincerely

hess the mess

Posted by: hessone | September 23, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

2011 will be a Dan Snyder wet dream.

Hopefully Snyder sleeps through the dream, while Allen's wide awake calling all the shots.
Didn't think about all the FA's available in 2011, but if that's the case, I wonder what will happen to players salaries.

Posted by: hessone | September 23, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

2011 will be a Dan Snyder wet dream.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 23, 2010 7:38 AM

I get what you're saying, but that doesn't change the fact that it's easier to get a rookie to buy in and mesh with your roster than it is a FA who already has experience doing things another way (generally). FAs help, but regardless of the salary structure or the market, building through the draft is still the preferred method.

That said, we're so light on picks in 2011 that we may need to play the FA market a bit more than this regime would normally. Which I don't have a huge problem with, so long as getting the right guys for the system/team is the name of the game and not just getting the biggest names available.

Beep, while I agree that's too early to talk draft, we have a pretty good general idea of what our needs will be. I'll never understand why some have this ridiculous sense that McNabb isn't going to be re-signed. It would take a massive (and unpredictable) catastrophy for that to happen. You don't give up multiple picks for a one year rental, and if McNabb can be loyal to the scab franchise he played 11 years for and never got an ounce of respect from, then I'm sure the team that's treated him like football royalty will get some love from him for freeing him of that wretched fanbase. In my mind, there's a better chance of working out that "Betts for Brady and Moss" deal Greg keeps talking about than McNabb wearing another uniform before he calls it quits...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 23, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

not that you'd find it up here unless someone posted it, but reading some things on the 'extreme' site last night gave indication that Banks might get the call up this weekend, DT will be involved in the offense, and Simpson will be returning kicks....I'm not saying its going to happen, I'm just saying some posts from Banks/DT's twitter accounts seemed to indicate it would...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 23, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

For the love of gawd, Moe! Can you just answer that f-ing fruitcake already?!?!?

----------------------------------------------------

Bradford's gonna be a good QB in the NFL for a long time, I don't doubt that at all.

They just still have to install a lot of pieces around him.

Stephen Jackson's best years have wasted away on a perennial hapless teams. Outside of him on offense, who do they have?

Who's their dominant position players on defense?

More of a reason these bamas need to get smoked early on Sunday. 'Skins do not need to play down to their competition.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

brown, thanks for the Keim updates, they're greatly appreciated.

And there’s this: “Hopefully Stephon can play at a high level for us,” center Casey Rabach said.

I somehow think Heyer feels the same way about Rabach.

Gotta give Derrick Dockery credit for how he’s handling the rotation at guard. He said he wasn’t surprised, which is hard to believe. Then he said, “What are you gonna do about it? You gonna cry about it? Pout about it? You just have to go out and play ball.”

Man, if AH only had this kind of attitude. Gotta give guy's like this credit for being team players.

Posted by: hessone | September 23, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

red, nicely done putting into words what everyone on here is thinking... this cat vic, thinks he's comedy gold with these posts, and maybe he is, however I've yet to see anyone voice opinion to that...

moe, heads up, you've got a stalker...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 23, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 23, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

They also say one man's trash is another man's treasure! We only have a couple players on our roster that we good get a lot out of anyway.
We might be able to get a 2nd or 3rd for Carter next year if he waives his no-trade clause, maybe a 3rd or 4th for Dockery, and that's reaching. Everyone else will either be let go cause their contract is ending, keep an eye on Rocky McIntosh for that one, or if we trade anyone it'll be conditional picks in the later rounds.
The best way to accumulate picks is do it the Bill Belichek Way. No, not cheat, the other way: keep trading down in the draft and accumulate later round picks the same year or higher round picks the next year.

Posted by: monk811 | September 23, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

brownwood-- I assume you're right, BUT the opera isn't over until the fat lady sings. Or as Robert Burns put it in a poem called "To A Mouse, On Turning Her Up In Her Nest With The Plough":

But, Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain;
The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Posted by: beep-beep | September 23, 2010 8:25 AM | Report abuse

We might be able to get a 4th or 5th for Carter next year if he waives his no-trade clause, maybe a 5th or 6th for Dockery

fixed it for you....no one is giving up a 2nd for 31/32 year old Andre Carter, and same for Dock, who is average at best...

Also, living in the area, Bill is being ripped for the 06/07/08 drafts in which most of the players are not having an impact, and their first rounder in 06 Laurance Maroney was traded with a 6th round pick for a 4th rounder...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 23, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

beeps-peeps

Posted by: hessone | September 23, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

spags beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 23, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

no one is giving up a 2nd for 31/32 year old Jason Taylor.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 23, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

There, fixed it for ya!
Sounds familiar doesn't it??
Could happen again!

Posted by: monk811 | September 23, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

beans, Patriots haven't been making good roster moves lately. As you pointed out there was the whole 06-08 drafts, then there was the AThomas debacle... I thought Maroney was going to be one of the better backs in the league. Just goes to show you can't coach injury proneness.

Only one they've hit on was randy Moss and that's because, well, it's Randy Moss. Fred Taylor also looks like he has a little something left in the tank.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Don't be fooled son...Shanahan will be going after your head this week

Posted by: brianlee720 | September 23, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse