Hit the links: Redskins-Broncos trades; Brees speaks out

Over the years, the Redskins and Denver Broncos have found each other to be a one-stop shopping destination (swapping Bailey and Portis, first-round draft picks and getting involved in a multi-team deal). According to Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post, that might not change just because Mike Shanahan has migrated east.

The teams have been so willing to deal that even after the Broncos signed Dre Bly out from under the Redskins in 2007, the Redskins still pursued Bly in a trade in the days that followed by offering Shanahan a deal that included Shawn Springs.
"It's one of those places where they want a winner and the team does whatever it takes," said Bailey, who played five seasons for Washington to go with his six for Denver since the 2004 trade. "And you would expect with (owner Daniel Snyder) and Coach Shanahan, they'll do whatever it takes. If anybody can turn it around, (Shanahan) can."
Don't be surprised if Shanahan and the Redskins are interested in restricted free agents such as Denver wide receiver Brandon Marshall, tight end Tony Scheffler and guard Chris Kuper. Marshall and Scheffler almost certainly are headed elsewhere after being benched by Broncos coach Josh McDaniels for the season finale. Both would fit quickly into the Redskins' new playbook.
Washington, with many holes to fill along the offensive line, will be adjusting to Shanahan's zone-blocking run game, which calls for smaller, quicker linemen. The Redskins, who were battered by injuries up front this season, have not stocked their line in recent drafts, having selected only two offensive linemen over the past five drafts and only one offensive lineman in the first or second round in the past 10 drafts -- left tackle Chris Samuels in the first round of the 2000 draft. Neck problems may have Samuels considering retirement.
That could put Kuper in demand by the Redskins. And because Snyder is one of the NFL's most free-spending owners, Shanahan will have the ability to send out plenty of offer sheets that are difficult for teams to match.

Legwold also analyzes just how tricky it might be for the Broncos to trade Brandon Marshall. (You' may have to register with the Denver Post's site, but it's free and worth it.)

Brees on American Needle v. NFL

New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees speaks up about American Needle v. NFL, an important case pending before the Supreme Court, in an opinion piece in The Washington Post's Outlook section. The ruling could significantly affect labor issues across sports and Brees presents the players' side well.

The 'Burgundy & Gold' daily

Men of Steel...

You thought Jason Campbell was indestructible? He's got nothing on Thomas Jones of the Jets, according to The Wall Street Journal.

By Cindy Boren  |  January 8, 2010; 7:58 AM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Will Shanahan take the Redskins back to Carlisle?
Next: Edwards: Offensive line must be Shanahan's priority

Comments

Trade for Scheffler???

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Why would we need another TE...

Posted by: cacla | January 8, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

What I wish Dan Snyder would say:

I, Daniel Snyder, as a lifelong fan and momentary owner of the Washington Redskins understand that players, coaches, and owners of the Washington Redskins come and go but the fans are forever. We owners, coaches, and players are but momentary keepers of this treasured institution, and as such, understand our responsibility to conduct ourselves in a way that honors those who went before us and maintains the utmost level of professionalism and commitment expected of anyone associated with the Washington Redskins.

Therefore, it is my commitment to you, the fans, to ensure that, win or lose, I myself, the staff, and the players will conduct ourselves in such a way that you can be proud of us and the whole Redskins organization.

I commit to you, the fans, that we will uphold the long standing Redskin traditions of:

Hard Work - Laying the foundation for success on the field

Tenacity - Having a never ever quit attitude

Team Work - Knowing none of us individually are as good as all of us together

Pride - Conducting ourselves in an honorable way so that we never ever embarrass the Washington Redskins and their loyal fans

Honor - Showing respect to our opponents and the officials

Tradition - Kicking the snot out of the Cowboys at any and every opportunity.

Hail to the Redskins...forever!

Sincerely,
Daniel Snyder

To some of you "winning is everything" folks this may sound wimpy to you but, more than rooting for a winning team, I want to root for a team that I'm proud of. A team that works hard, plays together, doesn't showboat and act like idiots on or off the field, and shows respect to their opponents...preferably as they trounce them on the football field.

Honor, Respect, Dignity...without these Lombardis don't mean much. Don't get me wrong. I want wins. But I want PRIDE more.

Posted by: Rdsknsfan4life1 | January 8, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

"Washington, with many holes to fill along the offensive line, will be adjusting to Shanahan's zone-blocking run game, which calls for smaller, quicker linemen."

Sorry Big Mike Williams.

It was a fun experiment while it lasted...maybe Vinny C will sign you to a contract next time he lands a VP/GM job in the NFL...

...BWAAAAHAAAHAAA!!!

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Just say NO to the Brandon Marshall Migraine.

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I heard/read somewhere that Shanahan planned to trade Marshall - but then he was fired.

However, there is no discounting Marshall's talent so maybe bygones will be bygones.

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 8, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Flound had a good point yesterday in that the Denver Post doesn't know the skins well enough to be that sophisticated so they are just throwing stuff against the wall based on their one-sided understanding. I think that is a good assessment of the article. I don't think thats a knock really, just the nature of covering a beat.

The B. Marshall stuff which has been yapped about all over, I think is just sports TMZ, thinking out loud stuff. I don't see it happening. We live in a sports and news culture that is insatiable and where the actual topical news doesn't equal the interest so you get a lot of this filler. Which as a memeber of the insatiable masses, I am fine with...but you have to BS Geiger counter finely tuned.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

redskinsfan4life, why do you feel the need to post that day after day after day?? Do me a favor, and instead of posting that, simply PRINT it out, and read it to yourself, sparing the rest of us....

Skins ain't making trades for any of those guys.....just stop.

Yeah, we're gonna trade for ANOTHER tight end....thats the cure for this team....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Trade for Scheffler???

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 9:12 AM

Who do you trade. I would think it comes down to Cooley or Davis, correct?

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the article on Thomas Jones -- a real warrior. Of course, he has nothing compared to our very own CP26, who appears to have patented his own formula for getting paid great wages for doing the absolute minimum. Basically, it seems to involve hanging around the sidelines, feigning injury, while talking smack and sharing cigars with the team owner.

Posted by: Vic1 | January 8, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what the team will turn into... we have "character" guys and locker room guys aplenty to balance out the "me" guys. Denver has historically had their share of "me" guys and media prone athletes. Not that the Redskins haven't had their own issues. Just sayin' is all

Posted by: Dorf | January 8, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

LOL. This is the second day in a row ri has put up some tired link in a post. Tony Marshall talk is def deja vu.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 8, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Isn't there someone we could trade for Kuper?

Landry? ARE? Moss? Betts? Portis? Any combination?

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 8, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

tight end Tony Scheffler

WTF! Are you kidding me? We have one pro bowl tight end and another that played well. Why the f would we trade for a tight end?

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

NO chance we trade one of our TE for Sheffler.

BUT, we will need to land a RG in FA somehow.

2 OTs in top 2 rounds and a good FA guard will go a long way to helping this team.

Dock and Rabach can hang on for another year until we can fill those spots NEXT offseason.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 8, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

JM220 don't get your panties bunched its just Denver beat writers with diarea of the fingertips...

But the Kuper nugget is interesting.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Thanks bean for speaking out against the letter, my thoughts exactly.

Last night is exhibit A why McCoy nor Bradford should be drafted by the Skins regardless of the round. Both are frail dudes who are not going to last in the NFL.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | January 8, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

OK CL. Thanks for talking me down. lol

Posted by: jm220 | January 8, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Is Kuper good? If we can grab a Baluga, Black, Campbell or any of the other tackles by trading back I say we do it. Yesm I agree with Rypien11, Imagine our team with a better O line. Instant improvement, add Shanny's experience and coaching and you got a real good chance at a winning record.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 8, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Click that link from Drew Brees! And thanks for posting such a well-written opinion piece. Brees is an articulate guy.

So...the NFL is a single entity in the (small, greedy, snivelling) minds of the NFL owners? Yeah, right.

Roger Goodell is really Sauron the Magnificent, and the NFL is really a cleverly disguised plot to achieve World Domination. Snyder isn't even a Redskin, he's a lesser Wizard. The small one who gets zapped and falls in a big dark hole. Well, hey, while I'm writing fantasy...

Posted by: SonofNero | January 8, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Fedorem - I'd say Kuper is in the top 40% of starting guards in the league - not a pro bowler, but more than servicable, and young, and a big improvement over what we have, especially if we are changing blocking schemes.

If we trade down, we could grab two of those guys... we could also get Okung and one of them by staying where we are.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 8, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Trade for Scheffler???

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 9:12 AM

Who do you trade. I would think it comes down to Cooley or Davis, correct?

Posted by: TWISI | January 8, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I don't trade.

I put the (???) there b/c I think the idea is ludicrous.

Both Cooley and Davis are better TEs than Scheffler.

chrislarry mentioned that the Denver Post people don't know squat about the Skins situation and I think that's correct.

Sounds like they took a list of Denvers FAs/RFAs/potential trade bait and are throwing them all against the wall to see if one sticks...

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Well Rypien11, isn't it nice to have options, and the confidence that our new braintrust won't do something stupid to ruin our team? I sleep much deeper at night now knowing that. I simply cannot wait for the draft and all the hooplah. We should be able to improve the team with some young talent.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 8, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

todd, thanks, I mean, we got it the first 5 friggin days in a row the guy posted it...I'm gonna start posting my thoughts on unicorns, but I'm sure no one gives a crap....

No thanks to Kuper, lets get our own 5th round pick to start on the OL...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 8, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Rabach has been ripped for being too small at the center position to go toe-to-toe with D-tackles.

Interestingly enough, he may be just the right fit for Shanny's zone-scheme that favors quicker smaller mobile linemen.

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Bean you wouldn't want Kuper as FA or trading a Landry, we need more than one oline and wouldn't really effect drafting one.

I think that would be a solid move.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 8, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

If he comes cheap, why not.

We need a guard, and if we can get one that knows the schemes already, all the better.

The answer definitely does not lie with Thomas, BMW, Will Montgomery, and who knows where the heck Rhino fits in...

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Bean - I'd rather get rid of Landry and take a guy I know can play guard in the league than chancing finding a starting guard in the 5th round. We need new starters THIS year. We don't have depth to wait around.

How about Jordan Shipley? Would love to take him in the 2012 draft to replace Moss. DT, MK, Davis, Mitch, Shipley? Whoooweeee.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 8, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

If Clinton ever wants to play for this team again, he needs to give Thomas Jones a call and take some notes.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 8, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I think that would be a solid move.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

If we're trading Landry (which I think we should), I sure as heck hope we can get more than a serviceable guard who was picked in the 5th round...

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Also I think Dock is the one keeper, I dont see having to replace him as a starter for another 3/4 years.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Washenver Skonkos

Posted by: alex35332 | January 8, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Ivan Carter talking about Shanahan studying football and the NFL and visiting teams and coaches this past season: this is exactly what I said in one of my posts yesterday.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 8, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Rabach is not that great but I think a lot of his trouble this year was due to not having a reliable right tackle helping him out. He was basically 1 on 1 with a tough DT for the better part of the year. He should ahve been getting some help. I did notice that when BMW was in at RG Rabach magically got a lot better. I'm not saying Rabach is good I'm just saying he doesn't suck as bad as we think he does. He may actually do well in a zone blocking scheme.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Denington Broncskins

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 8, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Damn I missed a great Name and Uniform debate because I wanted to get toasted and see Avatar.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 8, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

It seems to me that the Denver O-line has always been more than the sum of its parts b/c of the scheme (Ryan Clady aside, who is just a monster at the position).

I think this bodes well for smart yet moderately talented linemen like Rabach.

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for Chris Kuper. We need all the linemen we can get.

I'm not so sure about Brandon Marshall. He's a difference maker, for sure, and if Shannahan is comfortable acquiring him, I guess I am too. But it seems to me that we need to be losing the head cases, not adding them.

Posted by: Tank2 | January 8, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I don't think you can judge any of our players until Shanny gets in here and coach's em up a little....and landry was the 6th overall pick, I'm not ready to ship him out for a 5th rounder just yet...get a DB/S coach who can work with this guy....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

It's nice to know we have the luxury and resources to make moves, but where did that get us the last 10 years, nowhere!
Let's try and do it through the draft, the way the Pats and Steelers do it and maybe make some small moves in FA.

Posted by: joeboggs | January 8, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Bean - doesn't have to be Landry, but I think we are going to have to get a RG via FA, and we're probably going to have to trade to get him. Kuper seems like a pretty good option.

Yeah we could spend a 4th or 5th on a guard, but we haven't had much luck with that in the past.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 8, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Well this post made me throw up in my mouth a little...

A trade for another WR and TE? One of whom (Marshall) is a restricted FA, meaning we might possibly have to give up draft picks to sign him? And yes, I'm all for 3 legit TE's on one roster. (Rolling eyes)

Is the guy who wrote this on drugs?

Posted by: mattylight | January 8, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: joeboggs | January 8, 2010 10:03 AM |

We have'nt had anyone that new what he was doing in this department in the last 10 years.

Gibbs was a great coach never much of a personnel guy.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

______________

NO!! He is a talent for sure. But we are down a 3rd round pick already and can ill afford to give any up for a malcontent, diva receiver.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 8, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

J.Cribbs looks like hes done in clevland. Am I the only one that Really Really really want to get this guy?

Posted by: Stu27 | January 8, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

I definitely wouldn't trade Landry for that little.

Kuper and a high 2nd rounder???

Now I'm stopping to think...

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

You are all fools for wanting to trade Landry.

Yeah, trade away the best safety we have. Which would leave a huge hole at the safety position. Would damn near be the equivalent of trading away Fred Davis, but only worse because there isn't ANYONE that has the talent Landry does. It took Sean Taylor roughly three years before he put it all together.

Yeah Landry stunk it up a few times this past season, made me pissed just as much as the rest of you, but to advocate trading him would be a bit much. You can't just go trading people away when they have one bad season.

I think a lot of you take that position for granted. You can't just stick any ol' gump back there and expect NOT to get ate up in passing defense.

Landry, like Haynesworth complained about being in the wrong system. The biggest problem with the Redskins coaching staff is that they REFUSED to play to the strong points of their personnel. I can't not tell you how stupid and flat out egotistical that is.

I think you play Laron Landry to his strength -- at SS, where he was originally drafted at.

Another thing, people like to pile on Jerry Gray up here, but ask yourself: Do you think he coached his guys per the scheme or gameplan of Greg Blache. Jerry Gray may have very well knew that there is no way that the safeties should have been playing THIRTY yards off the football, or the DBs giving the WRs 10 yards of cushion.

Sometimes you have to look at the sum of the parts, and not just the one player all the time.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

"Yeah we could spend a 4th or 5th on a guard, but we haven't had much luck with that in the past"

and what is different between now and then...come one Ryp....

so we want to trade for Kuper who Shanny picked in the 5th round, while with the Broncs, but Shanny is now our coach...so help me out here....he can do it with the Broncs, but not here??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I think this bodes well for smart yet moderately talented linemen like Rabach.

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

It's like they actually know who to block. Our line is completely mistified by this newfound invention called the "stunt".

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | January 8, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

The thing with Cribbs is that he seems to be a gadget-guy. Sure he's a great returner, but there's a real simple way to take that aspect of his game away - don't kick to him.

ARE was a gadget guy. Devin hester was a gadget guy.

When you take gadget guys and try to put them in a firm position, do they really tend to deliver??

I think that's why Cleveland low-balled him.

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

What is Randy Thomas' contract situation? Clearly we need to draft or find via FA the long term answer at RG, but do not discount him being a good stopgap measure in 2010. I understand that he's had three season enders, but a broken leg and two torn triceps...seems freakish more than injury proned. I bet he is working his tail off to make an impact next season.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 8, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | January 8, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

=====================
he would look really good in a #16 skins uni

Posted by: AhsanFamily | January 8, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | January 8, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

=====================
he would look really good in a #16 skins uni

Posted by: AhsanFamily | January 8, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

With all the needs we have, I doubt it Cribbs is even on our radar screen at the moment...

Posted by: mattylight | January 8, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Tony Scheffler? Really? We have a Pro Bowler and a future Pro Bowler at the position. We have a lot of needs but TE ain't one of em.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 8, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Bean - hey, if we can land a starting guard in the later rounds, I'm all for it. I'm not holding my breath, though.

All I want is a better line, no matter how we get it.

Red might be right about Landry... but I also don't like Landry's attitude or the way he plays the game.

And like p1funk said - Landry for Kuper straight up, no... Landry for Kuper AND Pick? Yes...

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 8, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Good morning to you to Red....

Stu, I think Cribbs is staying in Cleveland...this is all just contract saber-rattaling...I don't think he is done there.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Gotta disagree with the Red-Rant.

We are deep at the safety position.

I say that Chris Horton can make all the plays that LL30 does.

Does Horton bob his head and wiggle after a tackle? No.

Does Horton have the hype surrounding him of a #6 overall pick? No.

But if you go strictly with football, Horton can bring everything that Landry does. Except he's going to be cheaper and looks to be more coachable.

I don't think LL30 is a bum. But I do think that Horton makes Landry expendable if we are looking to recoup some picks.

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | January 8, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

=====================
he would look really good in a #16 skins uni

Posted by: AhsanFamily | January 8, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

=================
very true, although it would solve our KR, PR, and possibly the 4th/5th WR spot

by adding one guy, we can replace two...rock cartwright and ARE

Posted by: AhsanFamily | January 8, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Going after Sheffler makes no sense to me, at all...we have two very good young TE already on this roster, but I guess we probably have to come to grips with the fact that Shanny is going to go after alot of his old personnel decisions...isnt that why he got fired tho for those poor decisions???

Does it matter he is the boss now and Allen is a human calculating device for he and Snydely

Hail Skins

Posted by: mhartz1 | January 8, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Smaller, faster offensive linemen will not be effective against the NFC East defenses.

RG is certainly a position of need for the Skins, but Kuper is only 303 lbs, he'll be a restricted free agent, and the Broncos OL was not very effective last year.

The Skins are definitely set at TE and I doubt they will send the Broncos two #1 draft picks for restricted free agent Marshall; particularly since Shanahan wanted to trade him out of Denver...

Posted by: siris | January 8, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

A. great kick returner, we sure don't need that. Also hes not just great he is officially the greatEST kick returner of all times.

B. At the end of the year they were giving him rb and wr touches and the browns were toasting people thanks to him, career highs in yards, hence then winning more games then us.

Posted by: Stu27 | January 8, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: siris | January 8, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

This Marshall stuff is nonsense.

With the state this team is in, why would Allen/Shanny want to start off their tenure by spending picks to bring in one of the NFL's most notorious head-cases??

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Sending out lots of offer sheets that can't be matched entails losing draft picks don't forget. The trick is to offer without losing picks which cuts down on the individuals to be offered considerably. As an example NICK COLLINS wants out of his situation. That's an individual to target. Knowing he's leaving shifts leverage to SHANAHAN or ALLEN or SNYDER or whoever is handling that particular phase of the REDSKINS future.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 8, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Trying to grab an offensive lineman from Denver is a good idea. That gets Shanahan 1/5th of what he will be looking for.

In response to some of the talk about o-linemen:

-Dock does not fit with Shanahan's scheme. He's not agile enough. He's a mauler. I like Dock but if he sticks around, it will be more political reasons and availability of replacements rather than fit.

-Rabach is under sized and not very athletic. His experience has been almost exclusively in run first offenses. His contract is up and I don't think they will bring him back.

-Thomas and Samuels are old. Samuels should retire because of his neck injury. Thomas is just too injury prone to be considered for anything more than a backup and why would you let a relic occupy a spot that a young up and coming o-lineman can fill?

-BMW - mauler, has good feet for a big man but makes a lot of mental errors. Doesn't fit.

-Heyer could potentially stick around. He's got better feet than most would admit. He's still learning how to play with leverage and he makes mental errors, but he is coachable. I think Shanahan might keep him.

As for the backups, I see them competing in camp but let's face it, when you can't crack the starting lineup for a really bad offensive line, then it does not say much about your abilities. If the team goes after the offensive line reconstruction with a purpose, all of these guys are gone...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 8, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

How about trading Moss for Marshall straight up. Denver is looking to get rid of him. If Shanny likes him, that might make sense. I'm not crazy about Marshall's attitude, but he's a great wr.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 8, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Ryp, his attitude and his technique can be coached up.

As far as Landry doing what he does after he tackles a guy that still results in a first down... I can understand how that may look to you and I, but very few of us have had the privilege to play in front of 90,000 people who have all eyes on you. I'm sure it must be a hell of an adrenaline rush. That said, Landry is a player who plays with emotion, if a coach can corral his emotions and turn them into instinct and better technique, we could have one of the top 3 safeties in the NFL.

Landry has all the tools to be great for a long time in the NFL. I would hate to see them trade him away and he goes to another team, matures, then becomes a perennial pro bowler for the 8-10 years.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"Is Kuper good?"

Yes he is. Not Pro Bowl stuff, but solid. You might not be able to design a linemen who's less suited for the Shanahan scheme than Dockery, unless it's Mike Williams.

It might be more useful to look at Houston's line, since Kurt is to be offensive coordinator. They're a little bigger than Mike's past groups, but all are very athletic, converted tight ends and the like. Houston used a first on a LT a season ago.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 8, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 8, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Tell Denver if they throw in a 7th round pick we will do the deal

Posted by: alex35332 | January 8, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Alright hamsters...I could talk silly season stuff all day but gotta log off for work...

Have fun.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 8, 2010 10:24 AM
------------------------------------------
Shanahan does not need to bring in a cancer. Marshall has many gifts: unfortunately, one of them is creating distractions.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 8, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"Smaller, faster offensive linemen will not be effective against the NFC East defenses"

and you know this how??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Hail Skins

Posted by: mhartz1 | January 8, 2010 10:20 AM |

Do you believe everything you read, the denver post is throwing out stories they have know idea what Shanny will do. Trading for a TE would be the last thing he would do, so relax and give the guy a few days on the job before you start crying.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | January 8, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, we should totally give an awesome kick returner a good deal after he's already been in the league for 5 years. There no way that plan will fail! I wonder if he can throw a couple TDs in gadget plays!! I can't wait for ARE part 2 electric bugaloo.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait for ARE part 2 electric bugaloo.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I was thinking "Chad Morton 2.0"

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Cribbs will be a Brown next season...book it.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 8, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

cl, what up?

p1, it's all good you know how the saying goes around here "Agree to disagree" and whatnot.

But Horton? You're joking, right? Horton maybe a nice story and all, but dude gets beat in pass coverage just as much as Landry. Horton is also slower than Landry -- making him unable to cover as much ground as Landry. When Landry plays at SS, he his in comfort zone, playing close to the LOS -- where he belongs.

Find it down right hilarious that some of you want to trade a guy after one bad season. You all need to get that "Danny Snyder" out your blood.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | January 8, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Tell Denver if they throw in a 7th round pick we will do the deal

Posted by: alex35332

Unless you are trading with the Raiders, both teams need to benefit. Moss isn't close to the receiver Marshall is. Denver would want us to send a draft pick

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 8, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

He would def know how to he broke AREs records for rushing yards for a wr in college, made a prety good rb and wr this year for the browns too.

My point is we get this guy we drop Rock and ARE. We then have a real threat at returner, a 4/5th wr a 3/4 RB and a 3/4 QB. I FEEL LIKE IM TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!

Posted by: Stu27 | January 8, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

siris,

Throwing the ball 60 times a game was never supposed to work in the NFC East either, so why have the Eagles been so good the last 10 years.

This NFC east stigma is BS look at the defensive lines in the East they all have small DE and OK sized DT. This is not the 80's or 90's anymore.

A cut block is the same on a 290 pound guy as it is on a 310 pound guy, Shanny scheme would work anywhere in the NFL.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

You are all fools for wanting to trade Landry.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Good post, Red. Like it or not, LL is our best safety. And Gray was very successful in Buffalo as DC. Don't blame him for the schemes we used.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 8, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | January 8, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I call it an aspirin compensation.

First rule of trading, always tray and get a late pick with it.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 8, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I f*cks with Cribbs being from the DMV and all, but signing him would be like watching Antwan Randle El II.

Without the success at the WR position.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Not joking about Horton. The dude can ball.

His coverage skills are at least equal to Landry's, but he's a more sound tackler. He gets into the backfield around the LOS, he's physical, and he's shown a knck for playmaking and being around the ball.

He's had way fewer starts than Landry, so I think there's still a well of untapped potential for us to see. And he seems to be much more of a consummate team/coach guy than Landry.

Like I said, I don't think Landry's a bum, and I don't want to trade him b/c of one "bad" season.

I want to trade him b/c this team needs draft picks, and when I look at the roster, I see depth at the safety position and Landry is really the only guy who could fetch some decent picks in a trade.

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse
Well, that happens when you continually have a new OG from game to game. How many guys played at RG this year...RT, BMW, Rhino, WMontgomery, ?EWilliams?, even Fainaka practiced there, thought he might start last game, but didn't.

Good line play develops over time, when you know what the guy next to you will do in certain situations.

And if you look at the 40+ sacks and countless knockdowns this year, how many times did a rusher come in unblocked! They weren't always overwhelming a blocker. Many times it was missed assignments.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 8, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

The smartest think the team could do if they want to get a return expert would be to give our ST coach a late draft pick to use on 1 particular guy.

I mean looking for a standout return guy in the draft is not impossible. take a guy with a good 40 time and above average hands.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 8, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

"I would like to see us get Ciron Black in the second round."

We have a high second round pick, so this makes since.

But it brings us back to round 1: is a quarterback worth it for us if we re-sign Jason Campbell?

I think not.

I'd like to get another quarterback later on, and 'train him up' to step in should Campbell falter in leading a much improved team.

I like what the dolphins did with C Henne: they took a guy who had a lot of starting time under his belt, let him sit and watch, and when Pennington went down, he stepped in to play well.

So let's make a list of quarterbacks who fit the bill for, say, round 4: a guy who has won a lot, knows the spread, is a leader and has played well on a major stage.

Mike Shanahan has done well with charismatic, strong-armed leaders in the past.

Someone the direct opposite of Jason Campbell in other words.

Perhaps he'll do better with Tim Tebow drafted in round 4.

Maybe he sits, gets 'coached up' for two seasons, and fills in where Campbell doesn't.

Tebow has his faults, but he's the kind of guy who'll do the work to improve.

He also is athletic enough to make up for whatever 'issues' he has as he does have major strengths: size, heart, running ability.

Would Tim Tebow be worth a 4th round pick, C Black round 2?

Now, about that 1st rounder.......

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I don't want to trade LL30 because of one bad season.

I want to trade him b/c this team needs picks and when I look at the roster, I see depth at the safety position, and LL30 is one of the few guys who would fetch some decent picks in a trade.

And I'm not joking about Horton. Dude is a baller. He has way fewer starts than Landry, so I think there is still a well of untapped potential there.

In conclusion...

Terps-Noles to open Maryland ACC play on Sunday.

BOOYAH. Fear it.

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

The opposing NFS east defenses all like to blitz and have good speed. I'd counter that with a big, powerful OL.

Look at the Eagles starting OL -- they are all over 320 lbs, even the center.

Posted by: siris | January 8, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

For all of Snyder's faults as an owner I don't see him standing for the Redskins changing their name. He was raised a Skins fan and he does honor most traditions. Besides the lawsuit against them was filed by 6 native americans (not really a major class action) and the last time it came up 1 of the didn't care enough to sign the papers and I think 1 of them is 2 years old.

Please focus all name changing attention to the Wizards!! That name is awful!!!

Posted by: mrlowery1 | January 8, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Look at the Eagles starting OL -- they are all over 320 lbs, even the center.

Posted by: siris | January 8, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Someone had Shanny's stat against the NFC East up here a couple days ago.

Anyone know what it is?

That might be a decent indicator of how successful his Oline could be around here.

HOWEVER

I heard Shanny on John thompson's show, and he talked alot about formulating a scheme around the talent of the personnel. Looking at what you ahve and who you have, and being flexible to do whatever you need to do to be successful.

Translation: He's smart enough to make adjustments.

I don't think he's blindly going to try to force AFC West football into the NFC East...

Posted by: p1funk | January 8, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Shanny was 9-6 against the NFC East.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

The name should stay but I would be all for new uniforms, are uniforms are boring.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 8, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I love how this comes up almost daily up here...explain to me the logic on this one again?? How the west coast offense wouldn't work in the NFC east.....how running the ball is more important than passing the ball....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 8, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk

So Landry isn't physical? That's probably the problem with him, he'd rather use strength rather than technique to make a play. That can be coached up with the right defensive coordinator, secondary coach, and safeties coach.

"...he seems to be much more of a consummate team/coach guy than Landry."

What are you basing this on? Because Landry celebrates after a tackle that still resulted in the first down?

All that stuff you named about Horton, Landry does the same thing. I think among Redskins fans, Horton is still "eating" off that New Orleans game from his rookie season. I think fans also have a tendency to vastly overrate players on the roster.

Horton is good. Yes, but to trade a guy who you spent the number six pick on, to trade a guy who may have some holes in his game but who can get coached up or may figure it out for himself would be a HUGE mistake.

What if that second pick you trade Landry for is a bust, and Landry goes to another team, matures, and becomes an all-pro for the next decade? I don't know about you, but I think I'll experiencing symptoms like uncontrollable crying and frequent vomiting.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 8, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I have a list of QBs they just aren't hitting the draft until nexy year. I don't like these QBs in this draft. I think we should build the line this year and look out for draft steals in positions of need.

My list includes Christian Ponder. I really think he's going to be a great WCO QB. He has a quick release, makes quick decisions, and is deadly accurate on quick passes. He is the opposite of JC. He lacks arm strength and mobility though. He is the true anti JC.

I'd also rather have Jake Locker or Pat Devlin more than anyone in this draft.

We could also give a few undrafted guys a look this year. I'd like to see Kafka from Northwestern.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 8, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 8, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse
It's my understanding that RT is signed through 2013. And I agree that the injuries themselves are not career-threatening. But remember he also had a neck injury, that could threaten his career. I don't think we can count on RT, but we need to include him as a possibility for 2010.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 8, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

GO TERPS!! Struggling but I expect them to improve with Vasquez coming around, Gregory back and the young bigs with some games under their belt.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 8, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | January 8, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

I suppose this could happen. So could alien abduction, pigs flying and winning the lottery.

Dude's a disappointment on the fast track to being an all out bust. His apologists always say the same thing- "he's a freak, a great athlete" Really? I'm not sure who clocked him at 4.4, but he is routinely outrun by WR's and RB's. And yes he is a me-first kinda guy by most accounts. Maybe he will go elsewhere and succeed, but it doesn't look likely to happen here...what could've been if 21 hadn't been senselessly murdered.

I'd take a 2nd round pick in a NY minute if some team were foolish enough to offer it.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 8, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like we're trading Cooley for Sheffler and Kuper

Posted by: jgarrisn | January 8, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

The bottom line is this:

Let's not deal in what if's, let's deal in what IS.

Horton = C+ to B- Safety

Landry = C+ to B- Safety

Horton's current contract costs less than 1/2 of what Landry's current contract does.

Horton's NEXT contract would AT BEST be similar to, yet still smaller than, Landry's CURRENT contract in cap dollars.

Landry's next contract would likely be higher than his current contract in cap dollars.

To borrow a line from an old regional commercial, "why pay more ?"

Landry's performance can EASILY be replaced by Horton's at less cost.

The team can then address other needs with money that would have been needlessly spent on Landry.

Without having to mortgage the future in cap dollars or draft picks, and without having to choose between keeping Landry or some other more integral player.

That is called moving forward, and moving on.

As opposed to more of the same old "I like him", "he's a beast", or "what if he's good somewhere else" mentality that prevents one from re-shaping a roster in a timely and cost effective manner.

Yes, Mr. Allen I AM available to become a member of the Redskins' player personnel/cap management staff and would be delighted to do so.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | January 8, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Now - after handcuffing Zorn and only giving him two years to work his plan - Redskins.com comes out with an article about being patient with a coach.

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | January 8, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

A new name??? I guess I could agree to the Washington Warriors... it flows, and the mascot doesn't need to be completely altered... but only if they are forced to change it. And new Uniforms... isn't it every 20-30 years they change anywya, aren't they due? Maybe they can take the names off the jerseys like at some colleges to signal that the team come first.

Posted by: Burrasta1 | January 8, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Much respect for Drew Brees

Posted by: coparker5 | January 8, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Growing up a skins fan I always had a couple of new T shirts and sweats to honor my favorite franchise, but since this reebok deal and now that I'm the one buying, the pricing has basically frozen me out from really participating in a way I would like. I think its a travesty how reebok has been able to corner the market on this merchandise.

Posted by: Veretax | January 9, 2010 6:23 AM | Report abuse

The HOF Candidates

PICK'EM:
Tim Brown – Wide Receiver/Kick Returner – 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Cris Carter – Wide Receiver – 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles, 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings, 2002 Miami Dolphins

Don Coryell – Coach – 1973-77 St. Louis Cardinals, 1978-1986 San Diego Chargers

Roger Craig – Running Back – 1983-1990 San Francisco 49ers, 1991 Los Angeles Raiders, 1992-93 Minnesota Vikings

Dermonti Dawson – Center – 1988-2000 Pittsburgh Steelers

Richard Dent – Defensive End – 1983-1993, 1995 Chicago Bears, 1994 San Francisco 49ers, 1996 Indianapolis Colts, 1997 Philadelphia Eagles

Russ Grimm – Guard – 1981-1991 Washington Redskins

Charles Haley – Defensive End/Linebacker – 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers, 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys

Rickey Jackson – Linebacker – 1981-1993 New Orleans Saints, 1994-95 San Francisco 49ers

Cortez Kennedy – Defensive Tackle – 1990-2000 Seattle Seahawks

Dick LeBeau* – Cornerback – 1959-1972 Detroit Lions

Floyd Little* – Running Back – 1967-1975 Denver Broncos

John Randle – Defensive Tackle – 1990-2000 Minnesota Vikings, 2001-03 Seattle Seahawks

Andre Reed – Wide Receiver – 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills, 2000 Washington Redskins

Jerry Rice – Wide Receiver – 1985-2000 San Francisco 49ers, 2001-04 Oakland Raiders, 2004 Seattle Seahawks

Shannon Sharpe – Tight End – 1990-99, 2002-03 Denver Broncos, 2000-01 Baltimore Ravens

Emmitt Smith – Running Back – 1990-2002 Dallas Cowboys, 2003-04 Arizona Cardinals

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 9, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse