Gruden praises Shanahan's ability to adjust to personnel

With speculation surrounding Jim Zorn's job status for much of the 2009 season, Jon Gruden kept a very low-profile when it came to Washington reporters. With Mike Shanahan now firmly in place as the Redskins' coach, I finally had a chance this week to catch up with Gruden, the former Raiders' and Bucs' coach and current "Monday Night Football" analyst, and there were at least two tidbits from our conversation that I found interesting.

First, Gruden answered that age-old question about floating down a river in a boat... you know the one...

"If you have a chance to float down the river and talk football with anybody alive," Gruden said, "you'd want Shanahan in the boat."

Second, for all the talk of Shanahan's two Super Bowl wins, his success with John Elway and all those 1,000-yard rushers in the Broncos' backfield, Gruden thinks some of Shanahan's best work as a coach came before he ever set foot in Denver.

"My feeling, Mike Shanahan's greatest coaching job was when he was the offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers and won the Super Bowl over the San Diego Chargers," Gruden said. "Those are still some of my favorite cut-ups to look at. His interpretation of the West Coast offense that he came in to run after Mike Holmgren left, it was unbelievable."

After a 20-game stint as head coach of the Raiders, Shanahan served three seasons as George Seifert's coordinator in San Francisco. That win in Super Bowl XXIX helped Shanahan land the job in Denver.

"His usage of Ricky Watters as a pass receiver, his open formations with the tight end Brent Jones coming in short motion from the outside - it was a tremendous offensive attack," Gruden said. "Mike is so smart, he's been able to adapt to not only the players that he has, but to the coaching staff that he has. When he was in San Francisco, the legendary Bob McKittrick was his line coach, and I think you saw more traps and more designer runs that were exclusive to the 49ers.

"When he went to Denver and he had Alex Gibbs, obviously you have the guru of the zone-blocking system, and they incorporated a lot of that and the play-actions and the movement that come off the zone-blocking scheme. He's been able to adapt and sustain success for a long period of time."

That was a point that Gruden kept returning to: Much of Shanahan's success is because he has been able to adjust based on his personnel. Inheriting a completely new roster, he'll have to adjust more than perhaps any other time as a head coach. Gruden says Shanahan is certainly up to the task.

"I think Mike Shanahan's a rare coach, who's consistently adjusted to his personnel, which you have to do," Gruden said. "If you have John Elway, you adjust a certain way; if you don't have Elway, you probably adjust another way."

Just double-checked: There's no John Elway on the Redskins' roster. We'll have more from Gruden in this space soon.

The 'Burgundy & Gold' report

The Haslett hire

Give us your take on last night's news that Jim Haslett will replace Greg Blache as the Redskins' defensive coordinator. The Redskins Tailgate Zone asks: Is he an upgrade?

By Rick Maese  |  January 13, 2010; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins hire Haslett as defensive coordinator
Next: Bugel to announce retirement

Comments

First?

Posted by: bschaef12 | January 13, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

FIRST time poster, saying hello and welcome to Shanahan and his crew - lets get it done!

Posted by: SkinsSinceDayOne | January 13, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like a good characteristic for a head coach to have wouldn't you say?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 13, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Start with the cons: Gruden slobbers over everybody and as a commentator and is afraid to piss anyone off in the fraternity house.

Pros: He actually gives credible examples of Shanny's ability to work with what he has vice forcing his system onto personnel that don't fit.

In short... he actually coaches? A fricking novel approach I say!!!

Posted by: bschaef12 | January 13, 2010 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Shanny knows you can't force a system on personell, your personell decides the system. Gibbs 1.0 did this as well he came in and after 5 games he realized his system wasn't working with the players. He made changes 3 SB and a HOF later great job.

Haslett will do the same thing on Defense, he has run a 3-4 and a 4-3. I'm sure whatever he thinks we have the personell for he will run.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2010 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Excellent interview with Gruden...props to JR for this pull. Cheers!

Posted by: MPNangle | January 13, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

God, I hope Chucky is right about Shanny...

And yes, good pull by JR on this one. Much better than the canned crap from yesterday.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Between Norv's chicken neck and lack of emotion to Spurriers lips flapping in the wind, to Gibbs 2.0 calling back to back timeouts, to Zorn's idiotic Gateway fake punt or whatever you call it, for once I am stoked that we have a Head Coach and soon to be staff that WILL NOT embarrass us on Sundays. I think the cleverness of our new Coaches and staff will win us 3 games alone.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 13, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Today's writing lesson: how not to abuse hyphens

Today's sentence: "Jon Gruden kept a very low-profile when it came to Washington reporters."

Now, see, this is a common mistake. We use hyphens for a couple of reasons.

One common use is to link words in a compound adjective, as in

"He's got game-changing speed," or

"The Zorn debacle will go down in Redskins history as a bit of late-Cerrato what-were-they-thinking madness."

But "low-profile" here is not a compound adjective. It's a simple adjective and noun. Thus it needs no hyphen.

Thank you all, and I especially want to thank Spring_Rain for going to sleep, apparently, or having an aneurysm.

Posted by: farstriker | January 13, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

"Much of Shanahan's success is because he has been able to adjust based on his personnel."

I like the scheme chatta.

And I'm curious as to just how Shanny will use all the puzzle pieces Jim Zorn couldn't fit together.

I can see a well-thoughout two-tight end attack with Fred Davis in 'short motion' or 'flexed' wide with Cooley in a 'tight-slot' or 'h-back' and regular tight end look.

Such formation use would allow a team to create all kinds of match up issues as covering a tight end who can run and catch like a flanker is tough for most defenses.

That's how the packers' Jamarcus Finley was used against the cards this past weekend to great success (yeah, I know the pack lost).

I mean, imagine Davis being used like a wide receiver in a 3/4-wide look with Moss, Thomas, and Kelly.

It's going to interesting to watch.

(And sorry about all the hyphens.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | January 13, 2010 7:58 AM

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Hearing that a coach actually will taylor game plans/schemes/plays/organizational structure to fit the strengths and weakness of the personal involved (on field/and off)gives me wood.

I mean it shouldn't as that is like kinda of a major key to coaching/teaching/leadership but that mindset has been is such short supply here with Spurrier, Zorn, Blache and Weird Al that I am excited for this change more than anything else in the new regime.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 13, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

"Now to get Portis off the roster"

This begs the redskin question of the day:

Which redskin offensive team member(s) is/are the least valuable?

a. Clinton Portis

b. Jason Campbell

c. Santana Moss

d. the '08 draft class receivers/tight end

e. none of the above

f. answers a, b, c, d

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

wow lisa just wow! AND you have no problem saying the word ***skins. WOW!

Posted by: dealer1 | January 13, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

LOL, CL!

I actually think of football as a way to get rid of wood at inopportune times (at work, in church, etc.), but to each his own I guess...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

i'm not at all worried about the offense. shanny has always had good offenses it's his inability to find a good defensive coordinator that has hurt him in the past.

Posted by: dealer1 | January 13, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

From Day 1, Shanny's talked alot about looking at personnel first and then finding a plan/scheme that's going to maximize their strengths.

It seems like that will be Haslett's approach as well.

So far so good.

Posted by: p1funk | January 13, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

wow lisa just wow! AND you have no problem saying the word ***skins. WOW!

Posted by: dealer1 | January 13, 2010 8:30 AM |

I'm not sure what is going on with Lisa, I've never seen her make a comment like that before.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn's remarks to Gruden's comments on adapting the system to the players you have:

"Now, let me get this straight. He's saying you adapt your system to the players you have? Well, that's just not the west coast offense. We ran the WCO and we expected the players to adapt to the system. When we couldn't score, it wasn't the system that was the problem, it was the players being unable to execute. I mean, how is it my fault that Moss isn't six foot four inches and 230 lbs? He should still be able to muscle the ball away from defenders in the end zone. Malcolm Kelly should still be able to run those go routes that blow by defenders, even though he's the slowest receiver on the team. Jason Campbell should still be able to throw the ball even though he's running for his life - there's no need to keep an extra player in to block for him... Adapt? Let the players adapt. The WCO is what we ran."

I could just see something like this coming out of Zorn's mouth. It is such a breath of fresh air hearing that Shanahan is a wizard in adapting his offense to his personnel. It gives me hope that he will find a way to do things like use both Cooley and Davis in many packages this year.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 13, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

"Agreed. Now to get Portis off the roster, and I'll actually be excited for a Redskins season for the first time in about 3 years.

Posted by: brownwood26

First of all I was rarely embarressed during Gibbs 2. Was it an overwhelming success, obviously not...no SBs. And the timeout thing, while not a pretty sight, has to be viewed in context of Sean Taylor's murder. Anyone shamed by how Gibbs lead the franchise through that?

Also last time i checked Gibbs went on to lead the team on an unbeleivable run after that. The stint of coaching from Sean Taylor's death to the playoffs was one of the most impressive stretches of coaching as I have ever seen in the NFL.

Now on to Portis. Realy Brownwood? B/C when I think of Portis as a Redskin I say "Thank you" for providing about 6 out of 10 of the great performances and clutch/heart games since 1992 as a Redskin. Is he a diva loudmouth, obviously. He is a premiere athlete in a diva position, and don't give me "Look at LT?" have you seen that video???

Portis will be back, he will shape up, and he will be a key contribute heavily and I for one will be screaming and yelling for the cat, doing my patented "Get on the horse" dance-chant!

Hail!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 13, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Still no word on whether or not we get to keep the Z-Shades. Do your job Reid!

Posted by: mack1 | January 13, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

What is this adjusting to the personnel they speak of?

How does that work? I didn't know it was possible....

Poor Zorn. Corny bastard schemed his way right out of Ashburn.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Gotta keep the Z-Shades. Might be the best thing Zoron contributed in his 2 years...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 13, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

...except it was Rick Maese, not JR.

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 13, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

...who did the interview with Gruden.

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 13, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

wha? Adjusting concept to personell?! What is this crazy talk you speak?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 13, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

When Gibbs came back, I was super excited. When Zorn arrived I was skeptical but wondering if we had found a diamond in the rough. Now that Shanahan and Haslett are here, AND we have a GM in B. Allen, I am as excited as I have been in a long time. Not crazy about a father-son coaching duo on offence. What do you guys think? Will the father/HC be dictatorial with his son/assistant or will he be able to let his son execute and make decisions for the offence?

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | January 13, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

blahhhhhh 3-4 dumb idea.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 13, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

blahhhhhh 3-4 dumb idea.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 13, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

People have short memories around here.

People also like to talk about Collins and what he did the last three games in 2007, but fail to mention Portis' 300+ yards and 4 TDs in that span.

I'm with cl when it comes to that. I'd say thanks to Portis as he is, like or not, an all-time Redskin.

Dude is largely responsible for the playoff push in 2005, but folks here like to sh*t on dude every chance they get. I really don't get that.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

The defence will be great again. The ofence needs to be revamped obviously. O-line and running back are problems. JC? After all the games he has played, can Shannahan actually help to develop him further? Zorn did good with him. He did evolve as a QB under Zorn. What can Shanny do for him? I think he has what it takes to be a top 10 QB but not an elite QB (not too many of those). Is that good enough for now? Fix the line and we will see.

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | January 13, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Man in America most pleased with Lane Kiffin: Mark McGwire.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 13, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Z-shade was pretty much shade, right? I know Zorn put the Z in front of it, but I'm still not sure how that improves things.

Cl I hope you're right on CP. Dude looks done to me.

And a belated congrats to Chia on becoming a dad. Welcome to the club! (BTW you can never leave.)

Posted by: mack1 | January 13, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

F Lane Kiffin F McGuire

Posted by: chrislarry | January 13, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Portis has been great. Granted. But he seems to be an alienating factor in the locker room. Can't have dudes like that on the team. Anyone who has ever played team sports knows that. If he can change his attiude and work as hard as the others... fine. But I think his pride will get the best of him and he will not give into the pressures of the locker room. Shanny blast him on national tv and he will be traded. But we'll see.

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | January 13, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

'stang,

I'm thinkin' if they come out playing well all will be ok. If the team plays like they did under Zoron - I'd think the elder would override. I'm not sure that's a bad thing, though.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 13, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

You know, if Shanahan has the ability to adjust his game to his personnel, then he's the coach we should have had all along with Snyder/Cerrato picking personnel. Instead, he shows up when he gets to pick personnel to fit his scheme. Somehow it seems ass-backwards, but I'm loving it. And, speaking of ass-backwards, has Jim Zorn landed that big job in Chicago yet?

Posted by: League-Source | January 13, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

CL, 3 years ago was the 2007 run to the playoffs. That's the last time I was excited by the Redskins. I'm one of the staunchest Gibbs 2.0 supporters you'll find on here and I smelled disaster when it took a month to find a coach after that season and all we could show for it was Jim f-ing Zorn. So I'm with you on most of what you posted.

Where we differ is on Portis. He hasn't been anywhere as productive as he was the start of last season and his play isn't worth his mouth. If young players are looking to him for guidance, and adopting the whole "just show up on Sunday" approach, it's no wonder we're 4-12. RBs are too easy to come by to hang on to an aging, expensive, loudmouth.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to remind everyone to say some prayers for Haiti right now.

I haven't heard too much on aid donations yet, but if anyone knows of any reputable groups starting drives, please post.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 13, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

If Portis gets ankle surgery to remove his bone spurs and takes part in an intensive offseason workout program then we will stop pooping on him. Right now his attitude and work ethic are what is causing this backlash. I doubt it will happen though. He thinks he's going to be fine without the surgery. He'll break down again before week 5 but he doesn't care. He'll just go back on IR and collect his millions.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 13, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 13, 2010 8:59 AM |

The are interviewing the QB coach from Cincy. Zampese, Zorn has no shot there.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Well Mack saying Zorn's major contribution was the Zshade isn't really a endorsement of the apparatus, more another "F Corny Zorny"

And yeah CP might be done, and if he is given his age and use and position is more norm than not. My uber-point is if he is done, I will say "Thanks for your years of great service" and if he bounces back I am going to be stoked.

Fatherhood: Yeah you can never leave (although I do heavily endorse mini-vacations like "Honey if you don't let me go over to the boys clubhouse and watch football and get wasted for 5 hours, I can't be held accountable for my actions this coming week" type mini-vacays...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 13, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | January 13, 2010 9:02 AM

See, I agree with most of that. I never shat on what he did earlier in his Redskins career, but he was a big part of the problem last year.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

f big mac is right..just one of MANY steroid cheats....

game planning...what is this game planning that is being bandied about....

does anyone have a PFT link to prove this game planning exists....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 13, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Not sure how the Z-Shades help.
Go sit outside in 90 degree weather with 90% humidity. Then sit under a shade. You will gain an understanding how they worked.

Great for practice and the early season games. If Zorn was real smart he would have worked out a way to make them travel friendly, like a collapsable tent style.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to remind everyone to say some prayers for Haiti right now.

Posted by: DikShuttle

True indeed.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

FYI, when your owner is too cheep to build a practice bubble, you get a Zshade.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

At least one observer thinks that Haslett will be an upgrade over Blache. http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast I wouldn't be so sure that the 'Skins will be running a 3-4 next season, though. Both Shanny and Haslett seem to be coaches who coach to their personnel, and the 'Skins don't have the personnel to run a 3-4 now, imo.

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 13, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

REDSKINS suck.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 13, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

redDmv

"I'm just curious to know how many of you were stroking Portis' sack during the last six games of the 2005 season? Or the first eight games of the 2008 season."

You're right.

But we live in a, "What-have-you-done-for-me-lately world."

(Sorry for the hyphens.)

And lately, we haven't seen Portis do anything.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Thanks RedD!

Hey - u @ State?

btw - quick excerpt:
__________________________
As Secretary Clinton said earlier, the U.S. government will offer assistance to Haiti and others in the region in the form of civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance.

For those interesting in helping immediately, simply text "HAITI" to "90999" and a donation of $10 will be given automatically to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts, charged to your cell phone bill.
____________________________

Thanks again, RedD!

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 13, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I got 'loseable typed' on a Portis post.

...but basically I was saying that CPo prolly knew @ the coarching change in the bye week and decided not to get himself hurt before the regime change.

I understand he has to prove himself again, but just like Zoron's first season, he'll be fine.

He actually was this season too, but no one wants to pay attention to that.

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 13, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

was curious what the general consensus was of the haslett hire from the outside world....is this getting good play, or what is being reported??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 13, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Maybe MS/JH will install a hybrid 3.5/3.5 D to fit the personnel.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 13, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Great post, rb. Here's the key to that entry:

"It will be tough for a smaller player such as London Fletcher to function in a 3-4 scheme because he'll have to fight off 330-pound guards on a regular basis. If the Skins are truly going to make this transition, you'll see them draft some completely different types of players than in the past. Zimmer transitioned into a 3-4 defense for Bill Parcells in Dallas, but he was more comfortable using a 4-3 scheme. I think Haslett's a little more open-minded when it comes to the two schemes, so you could see some type of hybrid used until the Skins have the right personnel to make a complete transition.

I think players such as LaRon Landry and Rocky McIntosh should be thrilled with the arrival of Haslett. He'll do a better job of putting them in positions to succeed. Landry too often goes for the big hit and he's been awful against the deep ball. I think Haslett will play Landry closer to the line of scrimmage and allow him to function more like a linebacker at times."

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 13, 2010 9:19 AM |

From what I've read sounds like everyone thinks he will do a good job, he was also being courted by the Giants.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Bean, Mosley thinks its great, everybody else is trying to breathe after McGwire/Carroll/Kifin sucked all the air out of the room.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 13, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

"Gruden praises Shanahan's ability to adjust to personnel" ... reciprocating, Shanahan praises Gruden's ability to swear like a mother[SJK]ing sailor.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Greg, seems like everyone I've heard likes the Haslett hire. He's generally a pretty well-respected coach, not sure how much the numbers support the assertion he's a good DC though.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Here is one for the "About as shocking as Mark Maguire's steroid admission"file:

Actually sorta sounds like she had it coming...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 13, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 8:53 AM

Right away I want to say that I have never "stroked Portis' sack" and I am confident that no one else who posts up here has stroked it either. Yuck.

Posted by: League-Source | January 13, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

DikShutEl, redcross auto-emailed me this AM ... they're all over it and their overhead tends to be low compared to actual on-the-ground outlays (because they are like a privately international FEMA ... um, the FEMA before the one administered by the previous Administration).

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

CL, ANYONE walking around in public with a Romo jersey on has it coming...

I know I take all Redskin material off my car when I go to Philly. Those people are savages.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

... trying to breathe after McGwire/Carroll/Kifin sucked all the air out of the room. ...

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 13, 2010 9:24 AM

The key to this one are the words in the middle ... "McGwire/Carroll/Kiffin sucked"

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

The next question is, who will be the Special Teams coach?

Posted by: Devo2 | January 13, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

ZIMMER stays in CINCY. We're screwed.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 13, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Could be a good option for the Skins...again:

Falcons opt not to renew Emmitt Thomas' contract
Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2010 9:15 AM ET
Emmitt Thomas, a Hall of Fame defensive back who has coached the Falcons' secondary since 2002, is leaving the team.

Per D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Thomas' contract has not been renewed.

"Everyone here in the Falcons organization has the utmost respect for Emmitt, and we deeply appreciate his contributions to our team over the years," coach Mike Smith said, per Ledbetter. "We wish Emmitt the best in his future endeavors."

Thomas served as interim head coach after Bobby Petrino bolted during the 2007 season.

In 2003, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis wanted to hire Thomas to serve as defensive coordinator, but the Falcons declined to grant permission.

Thomas, 66, interviewed for a handful of head-coaching jobs during his 29-year career as an NFL assistant coach. The future plans of the former Chiefs defensive back currently aren't known, but the fact that he didn't retire from the Falcons suggests to us that he plans to keep working.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 13, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I can think of one candidate.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 13, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

I inhale a vacation the minute they go to bed each night.

Posted by: mack1 | January 13, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/01/11/ranking-the-offensive-coordinators If true (and I don't doubt that it is), I would have said that he is a locker room cancer that needs to be excised, except that I'm almost certain that he won't try that kind of garbage with Shanahan. Still, with his issues with other players, his questionable work ethic and his noticably declining skills, you have to wonder if he's still worth all of the hassle of having him on your team.

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 13, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 9:29 AM

Its critical to take off Skins material in Philly, just to get the bulletproof flak jacket on. The key is remembering not to put the Skins stuff back on.

Did you catch that youtube of the 3 minute barrage of snowballs at those two guys wearing 49ers jerseys? It was sustained and continuous.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

The next question is, who will be the Special Teams coach?

Posted by: Devo2 | January 13, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I think Danny gets a shot to stay.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 13, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

According to Pro Football Weekly, Portis undermined the coaching staff by going over its head to Snyder and insisting on changes to game plans. ... If true (and I don't doubt that it is), ...

Posted by: rbpalmer | January 13, 2010 9:32 AM

Although its good to know that, in the immediate post-game period, Zorn had to explain the reason for every offensive play called to The Owner.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I think Danny gets a shot to stay.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 13, 2010 9:35 AM

And we ALL get a round of shots of Jameson because THE SEASON STARTS NOW!

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I get that Portis undermined the coaches....but last time I checked his critiques of Corny Zorny going back to season 1, were usually correct...

Posted by: chrislarry | January 13, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

(And sorry about all the hyphens.)

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse
You-should-be-sorry-

Posted by: frediefritz | January 13, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

PORTIS can stay or go, I really don't care. What I do care about is getting three earnest young men to play great o-line here in Washington.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 13, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Which redskin offensive team member(s) is/are the least valuable?

a. Clinton Portis

b. Jason Campbell

c. Santana Moss

d. the '08 draft class receivers/tight end

e. none of the above

f. answers a, b, c, d

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse
o. OL

Posted by: frediefritz | January 13, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

And we ALL get a round of shots of Jameson because THE SEASON STARTS NOW!

Posted by: dcsween

WORD!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 13, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Seriously? undermined Zoron? Is that even possible?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 13, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I was surprised also. She has added some good perspectives to the blog.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 13, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Warning long detailed post of why we are in good shape to have a great hybrid line.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Is it possible that CP26 has Randy Moss syndrome? Things don't go his way and he pouts, then quits on the team. When things are going good, he is top 5 in the league. Thomas Jones is like 31 and balling, maybe Portis with Shanny back will ball out again.

The guy is a dumba$$ but one of my favorite players ever. I hope he still has one or two of those 1400/9TD seasons left.

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 13, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Today's writing lesson: how not to abuse hyphens.

Posted by: farstriker | January 13, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

You couldn't possibly sound like more of a pretentious db when you go on squaking about uncle phil's grammatical errors. Consider the audience, do you think most of these folks want to have a discussion about their favorite football team or listen to you yammer on about grammar?

Posted by: buke | January 13, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I hope Bobby April replaces Danny Smith and then maybe we will block a punt or have some returns, or maybe even keep a kicker for a full year.

Posted by: joeboggs | January 13, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

amen, Devo2!!!

We've been missing that since Norval!

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 13, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Today's writing lesson: how not to abuse hyphens

Now, see, this is a common mistake. We use hyphens for a couple of reasons.

One common use is to link words in a compound adjective, as in

"He's got game-changing speed," or

Posted by: farstriker | January 13, 2010 8:04 AM

Who Fing-Cares!!

Posted by: bigmiken | January 13, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Sween...if I were those fans, I'd demand a refund. Couldn't even see the action for fear of taking a shard of ice to the cakehole.

Of course, that's the same place where somebody even picked a fight with CP's mama. Karma alone will ensure that team never wins a Super Bowl.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Moe, he's been playing hurt. Which is stupid but noble at the same time.

ds, no prob. I saw it on CNN this morning while getting breakfast.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 13, 2010 9:45 AM

If he's good for 1400 yards and 9 TDs the rest of his career, I'll be stunned.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Hail!

Posted by: chrislarry | January 13, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse
I agree, cl. CP is tough as nails, is a real competitor, great blocker. He's still our best back. Does he need help. Yes, he has lost a step, has taken a lot of physical abuse. Probably needs to be platooned. Someone has mentioned "thunder and lightning", well, he can be our thunder. Dude can still ball.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 13, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I've come to be cool with the Haslett hiring. Some of the assistants that are being mentioned suggests a very aggressive scheme next year, and I'm down with that. Stunts and twists with the DL. Creative blitzes by the LBs. Combo coverages by the CBs. Most people on that side of the ball should be excited about the possibilities. It should be fun to watch.

Posted by: TWISI | January 13, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Could be a good option for the Skins...again:

Falcons opt not to renew Emmitt Thomas' contract
Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2010 9:15 AM ET

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 9:30 AM
=====================================
Agreed..Could be a good find..
Darrell Green thought (still thinks, I am sure) the world of Thomas and his coaching abilities.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 13, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

My buddy was stationed in Philly when his ship was in dry dock there, he is a huge Caps fan. He was at a Caps Flyers game and the caps scored and he stood up and started cheering. The two huge guys behind him said if they score again you can clap once, anything more and you wont make it out of here.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I would say pass on Thomas. Let's try a younger, more passionate coach that isn't almost 70 coaching the DB's

Posted by: ChrisWoody | January 13, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Thomas Jones takes care of himself. Almost like freakishly or insanely well. He's really particular about who diagnosis and treats him.

He also runs behind a much better line than the one that's in D.C.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 9:44 AM

If its hybrids of humans and Avatars, I'm good with that.

brownwood, I suspect the Niners fans got moved to a private box.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Flound. And those are about as nice a Philly fan as you'll find if they give you ample warning in advance.

They were probably priests...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"Today's writing lesson: how not to abuse hyphens"

Today's posting lesson: understanding your audience.

You gotta understand that most posters are folks who are avoiding work like it was their mother-in-law.

Some of us are multi-taskers who can skim several tagged-pages, sip coffee, email a boss, and flirt with a hottie down the hall at the same time.

(Sorry about abusing the hyphens.)

Most of us don't give a f!ck about grammar, decency, and propriety.

Sarcasm is the tone of choice and snarkiness the system of delivery.

So you're better off saving the teaching for a blog like the one for the Opinions' page where they discuss things that don't matter to real people.

They talk Obama, we talk yo' momma.

Here, it's football, porn, steriods, baseball, soccer, movies, music, booty, and sometimes, youtube video.

Abuse is not something we're into.

Especially not, of course, if it's with ourselves.

Or a hyphen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ChrisWoody | January 13, 2010 9:57 AM |

Just because someone is old doesn't mean there not passionate about there work. From what I've heard of him he is a very good coach well respected around the league.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I swear, if I were to go to a Philly game, I'd sport the hell out of 'Skins gear AND "wish a muthafugga would" lay one hand on me or throw anything at me.

That is the reason why I dislike the Eagles more than the Cowboys -- their fans. Like they're the only fans that can get ill.

I can get really ill...

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Well I posted my thesis but needs Reids Approval due to length. If people want to see it now they can go to another place i stored it on CBS Sports.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I've come to be cool with the Haslett hiring. ...

Posted by: TWISI | January 13, 2010 9:50 AM

I'm just completely baffled and buckling my seat belt. The thing is, once you change EVERYONE, you don't know who is to blame when things F up ... and everyone gets a bye year b/c they're "new" and everyone has to adjust to new "schemes" and coaches have to figure out their players. Its a pattern of change-fail-regret-blame that feels very familiar up here. [Also, I'm accepting credit/blame for overusing BOTH hyphens and quotation marks ... as well as ellipses ... in this here post.]

Still, change in Ashburn is always a good jump starter for optimism and the Skins REAL season, the offseason ... so I'm on that bandwagon.

WHAT IS THAT BARBECUE PLACE IN NYC THAT IS GOOD FOR MEAT AND WATCHING NFL GAMES?

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Settle down, Red. Assault laws apply in PA too, ya know...

But something tells me you already know that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Maybe MS/JH will install a hybrid 3.5/3.5 D to fit the personnel.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 13, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse
Yes, I'm thinking that we will have a lot of different looks, just to confuse. Not sure I want to go "Psycho", but with our personnel, I think we can be a lot more diverse than were we these last 2 years.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 13, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Abuse is not something we're into.

Especially not, of course, if it's with ourselves.

Or a hyphen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 10:00 AM

Or sentence fragments.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Who Fing-Cares!!

Posted by: bigmiken | January 13, 2010 9:47 AM

That's a question bigmiken. It should read: Who Fing-Cares?

Posted by: mack1 | January 13, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

So true. I know he has been a great coach and player (saw him at the Hall) I just want some coaches that will be around for 5+ years is probably the angle I should have taken.

Hail

Posted by: ChrisWoody | January 13, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 9:29 AM

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Haha yeah, I saw that. It was funny but it quickly turned into me feeling awful for those people. Philly fans are the worst. Didn't they throw batteries at CP #26's Mom when she came to see him play in Philly? I'm sure the holding cell at the Eagles stadium fills up with a quickness.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 13, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

So if Haslett is the defensive coordinator, and Steven Jackson is in line to be defensive backs coach, what does Jerry Grey get for taking a bullet for The Owner? [other than a one year supply of Rice-A-Roni* and a gift certificate to the Speigel catalog.]

* I'm dropping at least one hyphen in every post I do today.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

My dream coach could be on the move:

Grimm will interview with the Bills
Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2010 10:04 AM ET
Despite reports suggesting that Cardinals offensive line coach Russ Grimm could decline an opportunity to interview for the head-coaching job in Buffalo, it appears that Grimm will proceed.

The Arizona Republic reports that the Bills have received permission from the Cardinals to talk to Grimm this week, as the Cardinals prepare to play the Saints.

Under league rules, teams that win in the wild-card round may grant or deny permission for head-coaching interviews to assistant coaches in the following week. No hire can be made until the playoff run ends.

Per the Republic, the interview could happen on Wednesday or Thursday evening in Arizona, or possibly on Sunday, the day after the division-round game.

Even if Grimm has misgivings about taking the job, it makes sense for him to talk to the Bills. The more he interviews, the better he'll be when interviewing -- and the more he'll be asked to interview.

Eventually, a sense will develop that it's inevitable Grimm will get an offer.

And when that happens, Grimm will have to think long and hard about whether it's the first of many, or the first of only a few. Sometimes, the window closes as quickly as it opened.

For more on this point, we yield the balance of our time to Jason Garrett.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

The door.

Posted by: skinsfan0524 | January 13, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Brown, I'm just saying, if I had a finger laid on me, or anything thrown at me or my homeboys, we'd be throwing the hands no question. Or waiting for bamas in the parking lot...

I just laugh at the notion that people are supposed to b*tch up when they go to a Philly game and they're a fan of the other team.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

RedDMV I'd like to see that happen. You'd end up in the hospital or worse. These idiots beat up one of their OWN fans. TO DEATH. I'm not condoning their behavior and in fact I find it revolting. But don't say "you wish someone would lay a finger on you" up in Philly, cause uh, you'd probably wish they wouldn't have. Here's the article:

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 13, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

They were probably priests...

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Your Starting linebackers in a 4-3 can look like
OLB-?
MLB-LFB
OLB-RMac

Your Staring linebackers in a 3-4 can look like
OLB-Orakpo
ILB- LFB (not ideal for the spot though)
ILB- ?
OLB-RMac

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

RedDMV my apologies. Let me correct myself by saying I do not wish to see that happen to anybody. Especially a fellow 'Skins fan.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 13, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

He gets one really sweet severance package.
=======================================

* I'm dropping at least one hyphen in every post I do today.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 10:11 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 13, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsSinceDayOne | January 13, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to the nuthouse. If it's Skins talk you want, you may actually find a little amongst all the 5th grade fights and chest-thumping egomaniacs.

BTW- Haslett to me seems fine. Assuming we go 3-4, I think our personnel is a pretty good fit. But this doesn't change the fact that our biggest weakness is still the O-line. Failure to address this in the draft and FA will render even the finest defensive scheme almost irrelevant.

DRAFT OKUNG

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | January 13, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

You'd think bamas up here had OCD the way they spaz out when they see a grammatical error or misspelling.

Put me in the "f grammar on a blog" crowd. If I was writing my thesis on the national deficit, then maybe I would give a sh_t about my grammar.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Sorry it didn't show up here, alex. I always enjoy your posts. Thanks.

Posted by: frediefritz | January 13, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I hear you, Red. Personally, I wish Dallas fans had that kind of fear coming to FedEx. Those f*ckers show up to our games even when the Anti-Christ...I mean, Cowpies aren't even playing us! Just once, I wanna see one of those clowns take a brick to the back of the head.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Buges retired

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 13, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Fred,
Must be because I got the link from with being logged in. For a AV guy I really am not a techie.

I posed the summery above (I have no faith in JR getting around to approving my post, he is busy.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Your Starting 3-4 line could look like this
Jarmon, Jeremy, DE, 6'3", 277
Montgomery, Anthony, NT, 6'6", 330
Alexander, Lorenzo, DE, 6'1", 297

Al, when Haynes is one of the best DL in the league, why is he not starting in the 3-4 alignment??

have to agree with red, on certain things, however let me preface that I'd NEVER go to a game in philly for starters, that just wouldn't happen, but I tell my kids take nothing from nobody, someone hits you, you don't hit them back, you come UNGLUED, I can't stand bullies...I'd stand up for myself, no matter what the circumstances, I'd defend myself....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 13, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

haha, true, it's just a thread. chill people.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | January 13, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Your Staring linebackers in a 3-4 can look like
OLB-Orakpo
ILB- LFB (not ideal for the spot though)
ILB- ?
OLB-RMac

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 10:19 AM

No chance Rocky Mac can play OLB in a 3-4. If--and I mean IF--he could play in a 3-4, it would have to be at ILB. And Fletch is way too small to play ILB, so this is moot unless we score at least two starting caliber ILBs in the offseason.

Posted by: brownwood26 | January 13, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 13, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 13, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Rice-A-Roni* and a gift certificate to the Speigel catalog.]

* I'm dropping at least one hyphen in every post I do today.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Do we have an asterik* rule in *RI?

Posted by: frediefritz | January 13, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Buges retired

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 13, 2010 10:24 AM

Not surprising. What would be surprising, now that they've hired Haslett, would be if Blache has NOT (yet) retired.

Bigfoot, the batteries and CP's mom are separate incidents. CP's mom got a beer spilled on her (and she responded by punching the offending beer spiller in the nose). Also, the batteries are separate from the booing of Santa Claus.

Posted by: dcsween | January 13, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Brown, I never understood how Dallas fans can just roll up to FedEx chest out and not have about 30 fights jumping off simultaneously.

Posted by: RedDMV | January 13, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 13, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about the last post. I abused a hyphen by leaving out there on the range all by its lonesome...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 13, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"...Creative blitzes by the LBs. Combo coverages by the CBs. Most people on that side of the ball should be excited about the possibilities. It should be fun to watch.

Posted by: TWISI | January 13, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

--------------------------
Just no double moves. Don't need Carlos getting any more confused than he already is.

Posted by: InRealAmerica | January 13, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Your Starting linebackers in a 4-3 can look like
OLB-?
MLB-LFB
OLB-RMac

Your Staring linebackers in a 3-4 can look like
OLB-Orakpo
ILB- LFB (not ideal for the spot though)
ILB- ?
OLB-RMac

Posted by: alex35332 | January 13, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse
I like your thinking. But it might be even easier than that.

Starting with your 4-3:
Carter..Griffin..Haynie..Orakpo
Wilson..LFB...Rocky

bring in LoAlex for Wilson and have
Griff...Haynie...LoAlex
Carter...LFB...Rocky...Orakpo

Then you can slide LL up into an 8 man front and have a 3-5*

*Championship!

Posted by: frediefritz | January 13, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

stop bashing JC!
===========================================

Posted by: RedSkinHead | January 13, 2010 10:34 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 13, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"...what does Jerry Gray get for taking a bullet for The Owner?"

What do they give a black coach who interviews for job he knows he won't get to help his white boss, then loses the job he has?

A year of unemployment and time to what the movie "Bamboolzed".

'Cuz they sure played Mr. Gray in a bad way.

Or did he do it to himself?

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 13, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse