Posted at 5:31 PM ET, 11/21/2010

Mike Shanahan offers grim injury update

By Rick Maese

Following Sunday's 19-16 overtime win at Tennessee, Coach Mike Shanahan said he's not certain how many of his injured Redskins will be able to return to the lineup a week from now against the Minnesota Vikings.

Shanahan opened his post-game comments, joking that reporters would have to specify each injured player because he couldn't remember them all. When he finally went down the list, he didn't sound optimistic about several players.

He said that running back Clinton Portis would be a "long shot" to play next week after aggravating his groin injury. Portis, however, said after the game that he hopes the pain was simply caused by scar tissue and he hopes to be healthy enough next Sunday.

Shanahan also said that safety LaRon Landry (Achilles) and cornerback Carlos Rogers (hamstring) would be unlikely to play against the Vikings. Linebackers Lorenzo Alexander (hamstring) and Rocky McIntosh (groin) also could miss the game.

The coach wasn't as certain about the status of center Casey Rabach.

"We'll give him an MRI," Shanahan said. "Very sore right now in his knee."

Shanahan said that running back Chad Simpson, who injured his foot during pregame warm-ups, would require surgery this week. That could mean the Redskins will have to add a running back before the Vikings come to town.

By Rick Maese  | November 21, 2010; 5:31 PM ET
Categories:  Clinton Portis, Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins beat Titans 19-16 in overtime
Next: Randy Moss: Zero catches vs. DeAngelo Hall

Comments

Well Shanny is never going to give you the truth on injuries so we will see who's on the field next week.

Chad Simpson to IR james Davis on active roster.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 21, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I guess I just don't like the dude, but I'll take him. I just love making fun of the guy because he's such a blabbering McDoosh.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 21, 2010 5:39 PM

Sounds just about like what everyone on here thinks of you... a blabbering doosh. Exactly what i was thinking.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 21, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Watch them all start, lol.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 21, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

This means all dem' scrubs that got they azz beat last week won't play!

HAIL (Will Montgomery)

Posted by: rickyroge | November 21, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

This means all dem' scrubs that got they azz beat last week won't play!

HAIL (Will Montgomery)

Posted by: rickyroge | November 21, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I like the "new" O-line. Please let Rabach see some bench next week.

It was nice to see McNabb standing up this game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 21, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Lichtensteiger's best play of the year -- not fastening his chin strap and drawing that personal foul.

Game ball goes to the smelly cheese man.

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 21, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

"Great wins excite me.
This game did not excite me"

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 21, 2010 5:41 PM

Guess you and I are operating with a different vocabulary. I thought the Skins overtime drive culminating in Gano's kick was pretty damn exciting.

Posted by: bones21 | November 21, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice Kevin Barnes out there today?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 21, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice Kevin Barnes out there today?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 21, 2010 5:56 PM |

Did'nt see him once.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 21, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

The game was exciting. The closer I get to having a heart attack, the better the game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 21, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

It's clear that this years Redskins are a team that does not give up. That alone is a big improvement from recent years. I'm impressed with the way our team fought through all of the injuries to win a game on the road after a short week and a tough loss.

The playoffs are still a posibility, but the road ahead continues to be tough. Our injury situation is getting to be scary. I think that next week we'll say hello to James Davis and possibly one of our rookie O-linemen. Also, we're suddenly prety thin at LB. Glad next week is the Vikings at home. I think that even in our current condition, that is a winable game. Not looking forward to the next game on the road against NY unless we're a bit healthier by then.

Posted by: kaasmaster | November 21, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice Kevin Barnes out there today?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 21, 2010 5:56 PM |

Did'nt see him once.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 21, 2010 5:58 PM

He only played on teams. He missed a tackle by the sideline on one of the big returns.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 21, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice Kevin Barnes out there today?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | November 21, 2010 5:56 PM

He missed tackle on KO when the Titan returner caught the ball when he should've let go out of bounds. Barnes was the first one down to make the tackle but missed.

Posted by: TWISI | November 21, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm so excited to see where we land in the power rankings.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 21, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 21, 2010 5:58 PM
I love a heart attack game when we're on the winning side too, but I also love the games where we're the lopsided winners. We need a good one of those.

Posted by: kaasmaster | November 21, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Not happy about all of the injuries, but would like to see Montgomery get some run at center for Rabach. Hicks will likely be back at RG which will be a help. I was impressed by the pass protection from our O-Line as McNabb had plenty of time on most plays. The lack of a top-flight WR besides Moss really hampers the offense. It was good to see Cooley back in the act in the second half and Fred Davis getting some PT.

I'm more concerned about the defense minus Landry, McIntosh, Alexander, and Rogers next week. We're pretty thin at LB and McIntosh and Alexander were consistent. Hopefully, they'll only be out for a week or two. Buchanon is a good third corner, but he wasn't really challenged playing against the Titans. Next week will be a different story vs. Minnesota.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 21, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Barnes played nickel a few snaps. lined up on the slot receiver I'd say 4 snaps.

Posted by: nami322 | November 21, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Real pleased with a hard fought win tonight. Either the makeshift OL is better than the starters or Tenn is not as good as advertised. Like the fact we beat'em and they beat Philthy and phallus. Is it safe to say now that this year's team is an improvement over last year's? I think so. Got one more win and I think I see another next week. HTTR.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 21, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 21, 2010 5:58 PM

Posted by: kaasmaster | November 21, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Minnesota might be that game.

If Rabach is healthy next week, does anyone think he will still start?

I liked what I saw out of Montgomery.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 21, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 21, 2010 5:58 PM

Or it's an indictment of your diet...either way, it was good to see us win.

As I was telling everyone all week...the ugliness of the Philly loss caused many to pronounce us dead. Greatly exaggerated, no?
This is an average team that is capable of good moments and bad moments. This week was a good moment...on a short week, shorthanded, and with everyone counting them out, the Skins rolled into Tennessee and knocked off a pretty good Titan team. Great step in the right direction.

Anyone else immediately think "Bodybag Game 2.0" while they were watching this game? Hope it's not as bad as it looks...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 21, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I recall the Cards picked up Curtis Gatewood LB
I suppose we could reclaim him from their practice squad?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 21, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone take out Galloway ? The man clearly can't perform anymore ! Slow...slow... !!! Get rid of him fast..fast.. !! W.T.F. ? He is done . Cut your ties and move on ! , Next !

Posted by: killerskunk63 | November 21, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 21, 2010 6:14 PM

Yup, I was thinking body bag. Don't think it's quite as bad.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 21, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Good that the controversy now revolves around the Titans and Vince Young's meltdown, and the focus will shift from McNabb.

That was a big win considering all the injuries the Redskins had and how well the replacements played.

Cut Galloway. There, I said it. Also, Portis to IR.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 21, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Weird stat on the Redskins this year:

Record when scoring 20+ points: 0-4
Record when scoriing under 20: 5-1

I'll let that marinate for the "trade/cut/kill McNabb" crowd...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 21, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

The closer I get to having a heart attack, the better the game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 21, 2010 5:58 PM

Or it's an indictment of your diet...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 21, 2010 6:14 PM

Backwards. A TRIBUTE to his diet, rich in Homer Simpson's two favorite animals: pork and bacon.

Posted by: beep-beep | November 21, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Galloway seems to be the best at diving to the ground to catch the 'skippers' that McNabb tosses.

Sounds like CP's nut fell off again. Ouchieeeee.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 21, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kaasmaster | November 21, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Minnesota might be that game.

If Rabach is healthy next week, does anyone think he will still start?

I liked what I saw out of Montgomery.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 21, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I Liked him there too. But last I checked, none of us have much say in who plays or where. lol

Posted by: sweetsweetlou | November 21, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Now we have to play Adrain Peterson next week. Don't sleep on the Vikes. They have talent.

Also, rate the Redskins Uni's on my site! Roccoskins.com

Posted by: roccoskins | November 21, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Yup, I was thinking body bag. Don't think it's quite as bad.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 21, 2010 6:19 PM

Why not? The Bodybag Game saw 9 Skins leave the game injured. This game was (last I saw) 8. It's right definitely right there...

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 21, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 21, 2010 6:36 PM |

Well the big difference was that we did not lose are QB.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 21, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 21, 2010 5:58 PM

hey hess, 11-5 is still alive !

redskins showed alot of great character. hats off to the makeshift o-line

HTTR !

Posted by: hessone | November 21, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Brownie,

No WAY we win that game w/o McLovin'.

Even if we woulda lost that game, I'da STILL been happy about the game, for the following reasons:

Heart: Shanny benching Landry & the message gets through to the team

Attention to detail: Super well run speed drill @ end of regulation. If the kicker was more consistent, woulda won then.

Drive: The D stepping up w/ the turnover after the early flubs by the O. Knocking out CJ after he got steam in OT.

Competency: 3rd down % was admirable. Guys stepping into roles that they don't normally do - and succeeding.

Kudo to the Skins on a much needed win. If only it coulda been last week... lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 21, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Yup, I was thinking body bag. Don't think it's quite as bad.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 21, 2010 6:19 PM

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 21, 2010 6:36 PM

The Philly Body bag game was different. It was violent and guys were getting blown up. There was a distinct difference between the games even if the numbers were close. The division rivalry aspect also had to also be a factor.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 21, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

That's one animal, Da-, er, beep-beep.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | November 21, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 21, 2010 5:58 PM

hey hess, 11-5 is still alive !

redskins showed alot of great character. hats off to the makeshift o-line

HTTR !

Posted by: hessone | November 21, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

11-5 is alive. love what this team showed today.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 21, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Heart: Shanny benching Landry & the message gets through to the team

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 21, 2010 6:40 PM

Sounds like he will "benching" him next week too. Word has it that MS actually was the guy that injured his achilles. I guess the team got the message.

This is just a stupid statement.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 21, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 21, 2010 6:40 PM

Agreed...I'd take a 59-28 beating in TN over taking it at home against Philly. Here's hoping we don't see that again any time soon...

One nit to pick though...you said Shanny benched Landry. LL is hurt...he wasn't benched.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 21, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh, you have the MRI on the ankle, dewschie?

I'm sure you believe Stompy's charlie horse, too.

I'm not the one who floated the conjecture - that was off 980 am, the Skin's own station. So, you may agree or not - but it's NOT stupid.

How about McLovin's conditioning? How's that going? Or his ability to run the two min.

Face it - Shanny communicates to the players through these moves. Whether you believe the story or the 'conspiracy', either is valid.

..and you're still a dewsch.

sukkard.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 21, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Galloway is pathetic. Please give Brandon Banks more playing time on the offense.

Posted by: omegamgt | November 21, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 21, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Guys -

In the middle of LAST SEASON, during the bye week, 980 reported that Shanny was going to be the HC in 2010. That happened.

Before this game they were reporting that the injury to Landry was possibly a smoke screen.

It's the team's own station - they're giving you the skinny, if you listen.

Was he hurt so bad he wouldn't travel w/ the team? Didn't CPo go to away games? (correct me if I'm wrong on that one, just thinkin' he did).

I'm going to go w/ benching on this one. I could be wrong - but w/ all the cload & dagger (sic), I'm stickin' w/ it.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 21, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Just catching up on the in-game blogging (I don't see how you crazy SOBs can do that during the game but more power to you)...funny how some of you fair weather busters wanted to bench McNabb, saying we're finished, et al. A 5 year old's impetuousness has nothing on some of you guys (Think, Post come to mind). Anyhow, great win, big gut check after last week's debacle. As Flounder and scamp said - stick by your team...at least wait till we've lost to throw dirt on our grave. And yes, James Davis will be on the roster next week. Really hope Keiland is OK - he looks like the truth. CP was running really well, hope he can go too. As for LaRon and Carlos being "doubtful" - that's just Shanny being Shanny. I think they both will play.

Also, big shout out to 5, 89 and the entire patchwork line...dare I say Stephon Heyer is your new starting RG?? And last but not least, redemption for Gano- I still am not in love with him but hey, he won the game today. I guess you roll with him...for now...

HAIL!!!

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | November 21, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Yup, I was thinking body bag. Don't think it's quite as bad.

Posted by: wireman65 | November 21, 2010 6:19 PM

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 21, 2010 6:36 PM

The Philly Body bag game was different. It was violent and guys were getting blown up. There was a distinct difference between the games even if the numbers were close. The division rivalry aspect also had to be a factor.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 21, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Grim my A**....that offense has NO CHANCE with Rabach on the field.....

Posted by: GRIMReaper55 | November 21, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Snyder gets overpaid old players and very weak backups and then is surprised old players get hurt.

Posted by: jhough1 | November 21, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bones21 | November 21, 2010 5:56 PM

Honestly, there were two or three penalties vs. the Titans on that last drive... it was not a good drive at all. Half of it was a gift.

Again, don't misunderstand, I love winning today.
Just saying it was ugly, but seeing the injuries and it was on the road, I think it is an ugly, good win.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 21, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

First game back and CP reinjures himself. He looked GOOD, but... probably should not have played so soon. On a different note, though, do all these injuries bear any relationship to the "voluntary" offseason practices? Further, do they indicate that, perhaps, this coach does NOT know how to condition a team? Just thinking out loud...

Posted by: dcjazzman | November 21, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Why is Chris Horton not playing at all?

Dude was a beast last season. No reason he shouldn't have been in at Safety or filled in at MLB.

Posted by: alecw81 | November 22, 2010 2:03 AM | Report abuse

Was it just me..or did that make shift O line give McNabb his best protection of the year on a play by play basis?
Casey is too small and weak to handle the big nose guards.
They began with Trent..now, they need 5 more O linemen...of good quality..maybe 6.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | November 22, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

A win is a win! The team showed "charater" with the replacements coming through and performing so well.

Herb

Posted by: HLSHAP | November 22, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Character win for sure. Oline looked better than it has in years. Hard to tell. Was that Tenn.'s bad play or Oline's great play? McNabb still making bonehead throws and actually lucky he did not have at least two more int's. However, he looked a bit more comfortable. Man, that late throw to Gallo. The over throw to Moss in 1st qtr. Low throw to Cooley. He cleans that up and he would be rocking. 80 QB rating is an improvement though

Go skins

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | November 22, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't care how many of them are hurt the first thing they should do this week is cut Joey Galloway. This guy has cost us too much already this year. He can't catch anything

Posted by: shschwarz | November 22, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse