Mike Shanahan on Redskins' use of timeouts vs. Eagles

The Redskins experienced time-management problems early in the third quarter of their 17-12 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field.

Washington led, 17-6, and took possession to start the second half. But the Redskins called two timeouts within the first 1:26 of the third quarter.

So, what happened?

"That's a good question," Coach Mike Shanahan said. "What happened in the first half, I had three timeouts and I didn't use of any of 'em, and I was a little disappointed. So, I thought, 'I want to get this out of the way early, I'm gonna use two but save one for the replay'" challenge.

Seriously, what prompted the use of two timeouts so quickly?

"One, we had a little problem with our communication with the headsets with a play," Shanahan said. "It didn't get in and that's why I called a timeout. And the other one, it was based on the defense that we saw before the play was snapped, so we called a timeout there. Obviously, not something that you'd like to do in the first series."

By Jason Reid  | October 4, 2010; 3:51 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins awaiting MRI on Clinton Portis' injury
Next: Redskins already are 2-0 in the NFC East

Comments

Does DThomas's performance against the defending NFL champions ring a bell? 7 receptions, 100 yards, 2 TDs, and a long rec of 40 yards. Remind me, besides Moss and Cooley, can any other WR on this team put up those numbers? He had more receptions in that game, under Zorn and with Campbell, than Galloway and Williams have combined over the last four games. Moss will be double covered from here on out, who will step up? Big mistake if it is true........

Posted by: adjustments_Redskins | October 4, 2010 2:52 PM

Oh yeah, I remember that game!

That was the one where the majority of their starting defensive backfield was out injured, right? Awesome game!

No, the New Orleans starting secondary was intact.......with a couple of Pro Bowlers from the 2009 season

Posted by: adjustments_Redskins | October 4, 2010 3:25 PM

Not to be an AH, but check this out:

Especially this part:

Early-game struggles

Early on against Washington, it appeared as if the Saints had a collective hangover of sorts from the New England game. Their pass defense, missing injured Randall Gay, Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter, struggled. New Orleans also was without injured linebackers Scott Fujita and Marvin Mitchell.

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 4, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

As bad as that misuse of time-outs was, it was nowhere near as bad as the Eagles using a time-out after a extremely long challenge, and then getting a delay of game anyway.

Even for an Andy Reid coached team that was bad.

Best comment I saw on that was on an Eagles blog where they suggested paying a guy $60,000 to stand behind AR and tell him when to take time outs.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 4, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Not to be an AH, but check this out:

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 4, 2010 3:57 PM

Nice find, stevek.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Skins can win next week if we only even play a little better than this past week.

I liked how they came into the game with some intensity. Brandon almost took it to the bank and really set the tone for the offense. Alexander almost killed a man. Landry is playing like "Lattemer" from 'The Program' and Haynesworth is attracting more double teams than Jenna Jameson in a ganbang video.

Portis is going to need to play on passing downs at least per his blitz-pickup abilities. The All-Torain Vehicle MUST be used, even on 3rd-and-shorts to increase the odds on our occasional deep efforts. Get DT11 on the field and just tell the dude to go deep. If he is in fact on the trading block, you gotta let other teams know he's alive at least.

If Carlos Rogers covers Avant in the next game, nothing will ever get caught.

Personal prediction?

Brandon Banks in a Wildcat formation. Given his size and speed, more like a "hummingbird" formation.

BOOK ME.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 4, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

could we get you to list all of his games, including this year ?

Posted by: hessone | October 4, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Ha! Shanny crackin' wise. Love it.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 4, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Statistical Analysis: Should Coaches Use All Their Timeouts On Opening Drives As To Not Lose Them And Be Disappointed

By Brian Burke | October 6, 2010; 12:15 PM ET

Book it!

Posted by: PlayAction | October 4, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"Bench Sellers. Dude sucks big, mis-shapen, sweaty testicles. He's literally costing us."

Dude just can't catch is all.

He's a lineman in the backfield. He's also getting up there in age, he won't be around much longer.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | October 4, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Personal prediction?

BOOK ME.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 4, 2010 4:08 PM

Big, mis-shapen, sweaty cosign on sellers. Scares the F outta me every time he touches the ball.

I think the wildcat is a fad that has almost run it's course, but I gotta say I like the "hummingbird" as a nickname!

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 4, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I only try to use my time-outs if the loaf I'm trying to pinch is taking longer than expected.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 4, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 4, 2010 4:24 PM

cosign

Posted by: PlayAction | October 4, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Somebody has to tell Sellers to stop trying to leap over people when he is carrying the ball.

He almost fumbled when he did that against Philly and he seems to lose the ball almost half the time he leaps. Barring it being a 3rd down and the leap is necessary to get the first, he should just put his head down, put two hands on the ball, and run straight ahead into the contact.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 4, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I get it, Haynesworth is off the hook , so you Masonic Scapegoat-ologists at the Post are going after Devin Eleven (rhymes with "Heaven": not good)..JUST WHAT THE HELL IS THE DEAL WITH SHANAHAN THAT WE DON'T EVEN SEE DEVIN ON OFFENSE!? "He doesn't practice well.." WELL, SH*T, FAT ALBERT THE 350 LB LAB RAT DIDN'T RESPOND WELL TO DR. SHANASTEIN'S HARSH TREATMENT IN PRACTICE EITHER, WTF!?

GIVE DEVIN A CHANCE, cheezes..

Posted by: frak | October 4, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Mike Shanahan's sense of humor came out like it does at the beginning of every fall. Legend has it if it sees its own shadow that means Football goes into January.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 4, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I loved the sack dance from that fatazz slob on the Giants. He resembled someone who was tazing them self. Classic. I want to see a replay of that.

Personally, I was looking for a split with the division teams and to steal a few others. If there is ever a year for a rebuilding/re-tooling team to snatch one (Division title), this is it.

I am still totally in the, "if you would have offered me this identicle scenario 6 months ago, I'd take it" mode.

Only thing that could be better is to meet the Cowbiotches in the playoffs and see Haney fall, azz first onto Tony Homo's facemask and blow a killer heater causing Homo to instantaneously vomit and then choke on said vomit thus expiring on the field of play where I would cheer like a Philly fan.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 4, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 4, 2010 4:24 PM

You should save them in case you want to challenge a referee's call like too many men in your huddle, late hit out of bounds, illegal use of hands.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or did Banks look funny out on the field?

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 4, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

intentional grounding

Posted by: hessone | October 4, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me or did Banks look funny out on the field?

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 4, 2010 4:35 PM

At times. Like when he was in the huddle or lined up for a play. But not when he was running past guys.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 4, 2010 4:24 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 4:32 PM |

And the worst penalty of all in such a scenario?

...encroachment.

Especially when you were expecting a delay of game.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 4, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 4, 2010 4:24 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 4:32 PM

Late hit on the tight end

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 4, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Devin would play more but the coaches just can't risk losing all that production from Galloway and Roydell.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 4, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 4, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 4, 2010 4:24 PM

Posted by: beep-beep | October 4, 2010 4:32 PM

Late hit on the tight end

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 4, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

horse collar

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 4, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

F Duke and

beep-beep (new post)

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 4, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: adjustments_Redskins | October 4, 2010 2:52 PM

Oh yeah, I remember that game!

Posted by: adjustments_Redskins | October 4, 2010 3:25 PM

Not to be an AH, but check this out:

Especially this part:

Early-game struggles

Posted by: stevek20147 | October 4, 2010 3:57 PM

Jenkins (1st round pick), Sharper (2nd round pick), Harper (2nd round pick) all played......both Jenkins and Harper had better stats in the super bowl, against the colts, than the guys that were "missing" against the skins.......again, within context of a Zorn offense with Campbell.

Posted by: adjustments_Redskins | October 4, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

could we get you to list all of his games, including this year ?

Posted by: hessone | October 4, 2010 4:09 PM

Games where he was a starting WR this year, under Kyle and with Donavan as his QB?.......Wish I could.....

Posted by: adjustments_Redskins | October 4, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse