Mike Shanahan pleased with Trent Williams's game

Head Coach Mike Shanahan said Monday that offensive tackle Trent Williams was "quite impressive" against Dallas Cowboys defensive lineman DeMarcus Ware in his first NFL game. "I thought for Trent's first game in the National Football League, he did a great job. ... You can see his athleticism," Shanahan said at a news conference following the Redskins 13-7 opening game victory over the Cowboys Sunday.

Shanahan also praised running back Clinton Portis's blocking: "I thought Clinton did a heck of a job. I thought we got stronger as the game went on...When we did throw the ball, I thought Clinton did a great job."

And he said that defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who clashed with the coach throughout the preseason, "played hard. He's getting more comfortable with the 3-4 scheme."

Shanahan said wide receiver Devin Thomas helped put the team in good field position on a couple of occasions with long kickoff returns. "Devin did one heck of a job getting us field position against one heck of a team. ... Devin helped himself last night."

But Shanahan acknowledged that the team must score more often, especially when it reaches the red zone. "Hopefully 'Shanahan football' will be scoring a few more points," he said.

He said that left guard Derrick Dockery is "obviously our starter, but I wanted to look at Kory [Lichtensteiger] as well." Lichtensteiger spelled Dockery on the offensive line Sunday night as part of the Redskins strategy to help keep linemen fresh.

By Jason Reid and Rick Maese  |  September 13, 2010; 3:48 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kareem Moore's rehab ahead of schedule
Next: Mike Shanahan happy with Redskins start

Comments

Shanahan was asked about Haynesworth's performance. He said that he played hard. I have to check the video to see if he was smiling when he said that.

He just slammed the FedEx beltway traffic saying that the trip outta there reminds him of an away game. Daaaamn!

We've been saying that around here for years coach.

Now call Li'l Danny into your office tomorrow and get him on that, pronto!

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Not trying to be first, just the BEST!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

However, when asked to rate Albert Haynesworth's performance, the coach gave a one-word response: "Who?"

Posted by: Vic1 | September 13, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

And thanks all for the b-day wishes. Feel free to accompany them with a nice F dallas.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 13, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Happy B-day man, and Reverse Cowgirl DALLAS!!

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 13, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

"He said that he played hard. I have to check the video..."

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 3:53 PM

The tape will show that the coach actually said that Haynesworth "hardly played."

Posted by: Vic1 | September 13, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

from Mighty Mike,

"...defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who clashed with the coach throughout the preseason, "played hard. He's getting more comfortable with 3-4 scheme."

Make AH sit and watch tape of Casey Hampton at work.

During the stillers v. falcons game, (before he got hurt) Hampton didn't take a side, held the point, and forced the falcons' center backwards (thus, shutting down the back's cutback lane).

In other words, Hampton's stellar play forced the running action to flow right into the teeth of the defense.

And if our D has a weakness, it's AH's play at the point of attack.

He can want to take a side to disrupt all he wants, but invariably, he'll just get blocked out of the play.

And until his NT play improves, don't let him play de.

It's that simple: to play the position he wants, he must excel at what makes the defense play better.

Albert, learn to play NT and be happy with it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Albert Haynesworth thinks he "played okay"

Ha! Another laugh in a day of good laughs!

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

agreed, I think T. Williams did a great job, especially against D. Ware, probably leagues best pass rusher.

I liked J. Brown

Posted by: mhartz1 | September 13, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Make AH sit and watch tape of Casey Hampton at work.

Sh!!!!t, he could have taken notes from Jay Ratliff during the game. he was straight killing Casey Rabach up the middle.

Posted by: Predator48 | September 13, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

if Trent played great, and I'm not saying he did not do a fine job, then the rest of the line really struggled, because the vast majority of run plays gained 3 yards and less.

Yet it is encouraging to hear coaches are pleased with the progress of Trent Williams.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 13, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me that if you're a Dallas booster and you show before the big game on a Redskins' fan site making spurious boasts about your impending victory, you're an idiot. Just for doing that. Even if your team won, you'd still be an idiot. Because who else would pull a stunt like that? The fact that your team lost just makes you an even more egregious blockhead.

Certainly if any of the regulars here did as much on a Dallas Morning News fan blog, I'd have to conclude they were morons, too. It's just a moron thing to do.

Am I right on this?

Posted by: Samson151 | September 13, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"I think T. Williams did a great job, especially against D. Ware, probably leagues best pass rusher."

Makes you wonder how Russell OKUNG!!!!! made out.

DRAFT OKUNG!!!: memba that?

Me?: I'm happy with Trent.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1: It's your birthday?!? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! And F those COWARD BOYS and F Lebron James too!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | September 13, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Am I right on this?

Posted by: Samson151 | September 13, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

100%

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 13, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Am I right on this?

Posted by: Samson151 | September 13, 2010 4:09 PM

Couldn't be more right.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 13, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

...and speaking of OKUNG!!!!!!

The Seattle Seahawks originally hoped to have left tackle Russell Okung(notes) back for the season opener.

The rookie first-round draft pick suffered a high ankle sprain in the second preseason game vs. Green Bay on Aug. 21. Coach Pete Carroll painted an optimistic picture and the team held out some hope.

Now, Okung will not be in uniform when the season begins Sunday in a game vs. the division rival San Francisco 49ers. And the Seahawks don’t have a timetable yet for the return of Okung, leaving some question marks about their offensive line.

Okung has not returned to the practice field and at this point Week 2 might be in jeopardy.

“We're going to try and do more with him next week. We'll try to run him next week," Carroll said, according to the Associated Press. “He's done a great job in rehab and he is real anxious about it, as you can imagine. We'll see where he is next week."

Not that R Okung won't be a great player or that T Williams will be, but that it's nice to have the skins draft a player at a position of need, and he satisfies on game one.

Boy, that is a new feeling for us!

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | September 13, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------

But how many were negative plays? Even after last nights victory, most football guru's would put Dallas front seven over our front 5 + Portis.

I know Shanahan's goal is 4 yards/run, but with a young LT, a rusty RT, rotating your linemen, against Dallas, opening day? You avoid the mistakes and call it a day.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 13, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Boy, that is a new feeling for us!

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2010 4:19 PM |

And think how much better that feeling is going to get when he makes the improvement you would expect from week 1 to week 2 of his career. He'd better. Mario Williams was a beast yesterday.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 13, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Last nights game was entertaining to say the least but I thought the Cowboys lost rather than the Redskins won. The defense was impressive! I just hope this isnt going to another year where the offense cant score points and basically waste another great defensive team! I know Carlos Rogers is a great cover man but I really wish he could catch the damn ball! I've seen him drop balls that should be intercepted every year! If he makes that play, game over! But it was a terrific defensive effort and we got alot of help from Cowboys penalties. My concern is the offense AGAIN! Other than Chris Cooley and Santana Moss we have no other guys to count on. Would someone PLEASE step up and help sustain drives? And when we get in the Red Zone we have GOT to find ways to score TD's instead of settling for FG's! I will say one thing positive about the offense though. It was refreshing to see the Skins take some shots down the field instead of Dinking and Dunking EVERY single play!!! I know it's just the first game of the year but I would like nothing better than to see the Skins score some points on a consistent basis this year because from the looks of it, the defense will give us a chance to win every week!

Posted by: dougwood23 | September 13, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Me?: I'm happy with Trent.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

As am I. Was I concerned at first we picked the wrong guy, yes. But as training camp went on and during preseason it looked like we got a good one.

I made sure during the game to pay attention to his play, and for his 1st NFL game against a premier pass rusher, he did a heck of a job.

Will he have his mistakes, yes, but man we didnt have any one close to his caliber once Samuels went down.

Man it feels good to win a division game again.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 13, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I have a new nickname for the Cow-choke's offensive line.

I got the idea from that car insurance commercial with the character who is supposed to be the personification of 'havoc'.

SHAKEY-SHAKEY!

Seems appropriate to me.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 13, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 13, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Well said, Moe. I'd like to hear what Haslett has to say about AH and the way he plays NT. Every time he tried to shoot a gap, it made it easy for Gurode to take him out of the play. Result: bigger hole up the middle. It almost seems like sheer defiance to conform to the NT position.

Something needs to change and I don't see AH changing (or expecting that he has to change) so what next? Hell, Schefter was saying how the Skins proved that they don't need AH (that seems to have gotten the trade rumors rolling again). I think the battle of wills is being won by the coaches and we'll see AH either conforming to the NT position or playing backup and pouting on the sidelines some more.

Posted by: HTTR | September 13, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I have a new nickname for the Cow-choke's offensive line.

SHAKEY-SHAKEY!

Seems appropriate to me.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 13, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Mario Williams was a beast yesterday.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 13, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------

Not as much as Arian Foster... Mario won't matter if we can't get Foster/Johnson/Shaub off the field.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 13, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 13, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

need to get DT/FD/AA involved this week...gonna have to score more than 6 points on offense....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 13, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Some of you are dumb enough to get a job with the Redskins. In fact, from all the Shanahan slobbering, I wonder if several of you don't work there already.

I actually watched the game last night, and I saw a Redskins defense that was gashed pretty much at will by the Cowboys. We were saved by field position. They had a lot of long fields to deal with. The one short field they had, they scored their TD. We got very lucky at the end too, but I know most of you have forgotten that.

On offense, we looked about like last year. No run game, no downfield pass game, poor protection and dubious playcalling. I'm not a big fan of the fade pass with a big receiver. We throw two in a row to a short guy? WTF.

The Haynesworth debacle is just sad. Shanahan and Haslett have taken one of the league's dominant players and turned him into a backup NT, clearly playing out of position and demoralized. How some of you think this is a good thing and shows what a great coach Shanahan is mystifies me. We won one game, mainly through luck, without Haynesworth. Don't expect it to become a trend.

Posted by: Iamhumongous | September 13, 2010 4:17 PM

Anybody ever heard from this guy before...or anything so dumb? Saved by field position...the whole game? Our defense was gashed...pretty much at will?! Note to the Cowpies...you should'a willed to gash the Redskins defense just a little more than you did.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 13, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I think the Texans blew their wad yesterday. They have been prepping for 6 months to take it to their conference nemesis - whom they have never beaten. Now that they have slayed the dragon, so to speak, they can't help but come back down to Earth when they travel up here to DC. I'm not as worried about Foster because the Colts' D-Line is as bad as the Cowhomos O-Line. What does worry me is how well the Texans played without AJ even doing anything whatsoever.

All tolled, stick with the running game no matter what and take advantage of roid-boy on suspension (Cushing) and sick Trent and Portis on Super Mario.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 13, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

The d was more effective with AH in.

If bidwell is still here next week maybe Danny has changed

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 13, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I think the Texans blew their wad yesterday.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | September 13, 2010 4:39 PM

Let's hope so, but I sometimes do my best work after I think I've blown my wad.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 13, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if people could tell by watching on television, but the crowd helped win that game. That was by far the loudest game I've been to at FedEx.

We've complained about the gameday experience there, but that was a fun one to see live.

On another note, there was a Cowboys fan getting carted out on a stretcher. He had a black trashbag on and was vomiting on self. Classic

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 13, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Re: AH at NT

Stupid. It's just stupid. Why? He doesn't like it and he's not good at it. Just activate Anthony Bryant as the backup NT, deactivate Vonnie Holliday (who does the same thing as Phillip Daniels). And let AH have run at RDE.

Posted by: p1funk | September 13, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | September 13, 2010 4:44 PM

You really could tell. It seemed "RFK Loud" on the tube.

Great story about the Cowboy fan. Glad he got to wake up to the good news after having his stomach pumped.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 13, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Just wondering, did portis get his "burst" back?

Cause there were rumors last year that he lost his "burst"

he always looked the same to me, but I will defer to the "burst" Ray vision experts

did Portis get his "burst" back?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 13, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

HAIL!!!!

A victory over the freaking girls! Feels sooooooooooo good.

Things I liked:
- Orackpo, Hall, and Landry, this defense seems like a perfect fit for our three most talented defensive players......yes I intentionally omitted #92
- McNabb, no it wasn't a great night but against a heavily blitzing team that forced a lot of turnovers last year he was effective, converted on some third downs, won the field position battle most of the night, didn't turn the ball over, made good decisions, and was 3 drops from having another 30 yards passing and a TD in the stat column.
- Oline, we actually have depth, and they didn't pretty darn well against a good D protecting the QB.
- Portis, nobody blocks harder and was a huge reason #5 stayed clean.
- Gano, huge clutch 49 yarder.
- Jason Garrett, gotta love this guy, his play calling at the end of the half, his abandoning the run, and his never taking a shot deep on Reed Doughty truly helped snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Things I didn't like:
- Two fades in a row to Armstrong? why not a fade to Cooley or Davis......
- Albert, waste of money, he was a non-factor and the defense played well in spite of him, the sooner he's traded the better.
- Reed Doughty, totally blew his assignment on the TD, was the obvious weak link in the secondary.
- CR22, will he ever catch a INT, that jump ball hit him in the forearms, literally......
- Portis/Johnson running the ball, CP came on late on that final drive but didn't see much of a burst from either of them.....hoping at some point they sprinkle in Keiland Williams a little just to see.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 13, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Just wondering, did portis get his "burst" back?

Cause there were rumors last year that he lost his "burst"

did Portis get his "burst" back?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 13, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

According to my Burst-Ray-Vision, he looked as slow as ever, and went to the ground on first contact.

Posted by: p1funk | September 13, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Kareem Moore's rehab ahead of schedule

That certainly makes an excellent Monday even better.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 13, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Things I didn't like:
- Two fades in a row to Armstrong?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 13, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

For what it's worth, Jenkins was early on the second one (arm bar)... should have been PI

Posted by: mattsoundworld | September 13, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 13, 2010 4:48 PM

He has to bend to their will first.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 13, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

A lucky win by the Redskins is a win nevertheless and congratulations are in order. But I won't do it.

Ladies and gents, it's a long season so don't go booking tickets to the Super Bowl just yet, based on the whistle of a renegade ref who decided to determine the outcome of the game. Never forget the Cadavers (nod to MrIrvin88) were outplayed from start to finish. See you in Cowboys Stadium.

We Will Defend the Star!!

Posted by: BigBlueStar

Yes, congratulations are in order and anyone with any kind of decenecy or sportmanship would offer it.

Of course then you go on to prove you're a loser by blaming the outcome of a game on a call by a referee. Listen to the Detroit Lions head coach to hear what winners say.

You're going to defend the star, aw isn't that cute. That's one of the cutest things I've ever heard.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | September 13, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Iamhumongous, I agree that looked like the zorn-skins all the way

portis cooley moss, done. 6 points

now that there is a game film we're done. No creativity whatsoever in the red zone.

We won cause Dallas choked and the refs helped us out.

We looked almost as good as the 6-2 zorn-skins that ended 8-8, almost

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 13, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

pabrian: how did the refs help us out??

Posted by: rachel216 | September 13, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I ran into a Cowboy fan today and I did my part of national "Fart on a Cowboy fan" day.

While I didn't break wind on the cowboy fan, I did give him the nice good 'ol stink palm.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 13, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

pabrain- you're a billy goat. STFU....every time you hit the submit button you embarrass yourself.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 13, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I'd get the Titans on the phone and get whatever we can for the POS.

Albert Haynesworth thinks he "played okay"

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 13, 2010 2:15 PM ET

After an offseason of turmoil, Redskins defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth got on the field for 16 plays Sunday against the Cowboys. So how did he do?

"I played okay," Haynesworth said. "I made a few tackles and did what I was supposed to do."

Haynesworth's assessment of his play is more charitable than my assessment of Haynesworth's play.

I was critical of the anonymous sources within the Redskins' organization who were telling the Washington Post that Haynesworth looked awful in the preseason finale, and I still think question the motivations of those sources who ripped Haynesworth anonymously. But I'll also say that from my own observations of Haynesworth Sunday night, he really was awful. When he wasn't getting blown off the line of scrimmage, he was out of position to make the play. I don't think it's a coincidence that the only time Haynesworth stayed on the field for a full drive was the drive on which the Cowboys scored their only touchdown.

Even if he thinks he played okay, Haynesworth seems to understand that he's just a role player on the Redskins' defense now.

"That's just the situation that we're in right now," Haynesworth said. "But I'm just happy that we beat Dallas."

They beat Dallas without a lot of help from their highest-paid player

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 13, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Iamhumongous, I agree that looked like the zorn-skins all the way

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 13, 2010 5:04 PM

Iamanignoramus, you've just been cosigned by PeaBrain2003. You two seem like two "peas" in a pod anyway.

Posted by: MColeman51 | September 13, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Rachel, they obviously helped us out by failing to call the pass interference on the fade route, by calling a phantom illegal motion penalty on Cooley negating a first down, by calling a BS late hit on Fletcher and by calling the most obvious hold in the history of football........

pabrian, it wasn't perfect, but it was a win in a tight game where we actually won the turnover battle, had less penalties, and played a full 60 minutes of tough disciplined football. And no red zone creativity? We haven't seen a fade route in DC in 10 years......would have preferred it was to Cooley or Davis but whatevs, that's new. This is not the same team as last year and this is not Jim Zorn as the head coach, this team was ready to play both mentally and physically and while we made mistakes and can improve for it being a new coaching staff, new scheme on both sides of the ball, half of the roster being new, a rookie left tackle and missing our starting free safety, we smacked them in the mouth and won the game.

Hail!

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 13, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Somebody please til me why Devin Thomas not our number 2 or 3 receiver?? DT would had caught that fade in the back of the endzone..I just dont get it..

Posted by: taylormade218 | September 13, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

And for what it's worth, I liked the no gainer to L. Johnson. Seems like a plan!

Have him bury the opponent's best pass rusher every week.

And for a change, it was nice not to be The Stupid Team on the field. Good Riddance, Zoron!

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 13, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: taylormade218 | September 13, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I think it's because the coaches think he'll run the wrong route if there's a hot read - possibly causing a turnover.

Posted by: Devo2 | September 13, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

yeah I'm sorry but you sound like a whiny kid pabrian... yes, we understand the offense must be better in order for us to carry this momentum because Houston is a great team. We need to score more points. But can't you at least give the Redskins some credit for winning the damn game?? Isn't that the object of the game?? They fought their asses off last night and NO the refs didn't help us. Seriously, some will always focus on the negative! We had a bunch of problems and we STILL found a way to win the game. People need to realize that Dallas' front 7 is one of the best in the entire league, that was Donovan's FIRST game as a Skin, and this is a new offense and it takes some time to get it right. Today is a day to celebrate this awesome win!! Enjoy it!! HTTR!!

Posted by: rachel216 | September 13, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

In the upcoming ZEKE'S UNIQUE, I'd drafted it up and was offering out special kudos to 3 guys. Trent Williams, CP for his pass protection and Graham Gano. And Shanahan beats me to it. Except for the Gano part. So far.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 13, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: taylormade218 | September 13, 2010 5:15 PM

He doesn't practice like a professional. He's physically gifted and has potential but the light bulb has come on.

MS did say that helped himself last night with his returns and coverage. That's probably MS speak for PT @ WR.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 13, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 13, 2010 3:22 PM

Hey, not to steal any thunder or gain attention, but it's my Birthday, too! What a coincidence! I knew there was something I liked about you. Must be that Virgo focus on detail.

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 13, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 13, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

LOL. Cosign. With Conviction.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 13, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Just wondering, did portis get his "burst" back?

Cause there were rumors last year that he lost his "burst"

did Portis get his "burst" back?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 13, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 13, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Happy B-Day Zeke & Thinker_. Your present came a day early, I hope you liked it...

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 13, 2010 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday Thinker_!!! Great birthday present for you, huh? Beating the cowgirls...

That's seriously the best present you could possibly get.

Posted by: rachel216 | September 13, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey everyone, we won so....

Now let's go get a f*ckin snack!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 13, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Things I didn't like:
- Two fades in a row to Armstrong?

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 13, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------

Posted by: mattsoundworld

Never been fan of fade patterns. Fade stop, with a physical WR, yes.

On the 2nd pass, Cooley was 1 on 1 with an LB, who was looking the wrong way (Cooley went outside, the LB was turning in), and that's a great matchup for us. But that's not where the play went.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 13, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Well, I have to admit, it's more than I was expecting!

All my Dallas buddies (I know, I know) are "currently unavailable" to speak.

I know what they'll say, anyway, "OH, C'mon, man, we had you guys beat! You can call holding on any play in the NFL!"

But, I know, too, deep down, an L is an L and they know their coach is not as sharp as ours.

To that point, I don't know why they ever stopped running the ball in the third quarter. It was starting to get real ugly with them picking up 12 yards a carry.

A very wise fictitious character once repeatedly said, "Stupid is as Stupid does."

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 13, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 13, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Diez, AH did not look good on Sunday.

But for real, the coaches have said that it is tough b/c he is essentially learning 2 positions (NT/DE) in a new scheme.

Why don't these coaching geniuses simply take the time to teach him 1 position? Why not just focus him on being an RDE - which is what he likes and what he'll likely be better at?

These coaching geniuses played him at RDE basically the whole AZ game, and then in preparation for Week 1, they move him to NT?

I realize that Fat Al is a lazy-arse who would have benefited from OTAs. But he wasn;t there and it's done.

If they plan on keeping him around, they can help him with the learning curve and stop trying to teach him 2 new positions simultaneously.

Or if they decide that he sucks; trade him already cuz it's all gotten real tired.

Posted by: p1funk | September 13, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the two fades was a bit "Zorn-like" for my taste!

I don't know if we have a receiver for that route, honestly. (MM?)

And true, if the second one was a fade-stop, would've made Shanny Jr. look like a genius.

Maybe we can trade Haynesworth for Randy Moss. That would be super-stupendous.

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 13, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Happy b-day to you Thinker, Good day to have a celebration

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 13, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

* beep beep *

new post

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 13, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, you, too. Not much celebrating going on, other than this! I actually should get back to work.

Enjoy it, though! A Birthday Dallas Beating in yellow pants doesn't come around every year!

Posted by: Thinker_ | September 13, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

p1- agreed. I'm sorry for bringing it up, that circus needs to leave town or play him exclusively at DE and keep NT Bryant active.

I also continue to see VJ talk up here and that's another tired subject. WR is a need but a luxury at this time and especially not that guy. We need a C immediately, BA/MS need to check the 32 other teams backups/practice squads for an upgrade. Maybe the Browns who have Steve Vallos who is 27 behind future pro bowler Alex Mack who is 25.

I'd also be interested to see if Sellers was on the team plane for the trip home.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 13, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

"I think the Texans blew their wad yesterday. They have been prepping for 6 months to take it to their conference nemesis - whom they have never beaten. Now that they have slayed the dragon, so to speak, they can't help but come back down to Earth when they travel up here to DC."

I watched about twenty minutes of that game and it sure seemed as if Indy was unprepared for that offensive scheme, with all the running. Houston finished the '09 regular season ranked 30th (yes, 30th!) in rushing, averaging 92 yards a game and 3.5 per attempt. So it was only logical that the Colts expected Houston to come out throwing, and were totally bamboozled by what happened.

Wonder what the Texans will do in Washington.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 13, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

"- Jason Garrett, gotta love this guy, his play calling at the end of the half, his abandoning the run, and his never taking a shot deep on Reed Doughty truly helped snatch defeat from the jaws of victory"

They took shots at doughty all night, mostly in the second half. It seems we didn't notice it though because haslett's defense was geared to keep both safety's playing hybrid FS/SS.

We need to cut Sellers if we can find someone to play FB that doesn't suck.

Posted by: monkeymayonaise | September 13, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse