Mike Shanahan: 'You better think of every game as a must-win'

Shortly after losing to the St. Louis Rams in Week 3, Redskins players said Sunday's game against the Philadelphia Eagles is a must-win game.

The Redskins (1-2) have lost consecutive games and have, at least statistically, the NFL's worst defense. They also have been inept on offense in the red zone and at converting third-down attempts.

Of course, it is only Week 4, and Coach Mike Shanahan is not one to panic.

"Hopefully, you are always thinking that" every game is a must-win game, Shanahan said. "The mind-set is you want to win each week. I think in reality, we all know if you win or lose a football game, there are a lot of games left."

But the NFC East-leading Eagles (2-1) are playing well, and the Redskins would rather not fall further behind in the division.

"You better think of every game as a must-win situation with 16 games during the season," Shanahan said. "The thing we emphasize, though, is how important it is to win in the NFC East.

"You win your division, you are guaranteed a home playoff game. That's pretty important regardless of what your record is. That's always your first goal."

By Jason Reid  | October 1, 2010; 11:28 AM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eagles' LeSean McCoy picks up where Westbrook left off
Next: Radio host organizes Philly-style welcome for McNabb

Comments

First to say look out for a big Skins win Sunday. Vick has shown he can get caught up in "smelling his own underwear" when things are going really good for him.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 1, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

6-10 Division winners. PLayoff bound.

Posted by: Stu27 | October 1, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Only a nerd would think that one game is a must win...unless it is a must win...shanny is right...every game is a must win.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

ESPN's Ron Jaworski broke down Vick's tape and had similar thoughts on PTI Thursday: "I'd like to see a little more consistency," he said.

The good news for Vick: The schedule doesn't get tougher. The Redskins secondary has been awful the last two weeks, and the next decent pass defense Philly faces is Tennessee in Week Seven. The rest of the schedule looks rather forgiving as well.

Vick has come a long way and he's already one of most fun players in the league to watch again. But he's got room to improve as continues to get more reps in Reid's offense.

Posted by: TWISI | October 1, 2010 11:34 AM

You know, this made me completely rethink my "DT Can't Play in a Real Game" stance. Reid had a full year of watching Kolb and Vick in practice and chose Kolb. After he saw them in games, he flip-flopped. So, let DT have a few reps.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 1, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Bill Barnwell of Football Outsiders points out (via Philly.com's Movin' the Chains) that Vick's has remained inefficient and erratic at times. Vick has made gorgeous highlight reel throws, but also had stretches of wildness. The quality of defensive backfields he's started against (Jacksonville and Detroit) are a huge factor in his favor.

Posted by: TWISI | October 1, 2010 11:34 AM |

Agree. Was surprised to hear Reid's mash notes to Vick. Reid is usually a pretty close-mouthed guy when it comes to saying anything the least bit out of the ordinary and yet there he was sounding like a smitten teenager in love for the first time when he talked about how gaga he was about the dude and he has yet to meet up with a defense that will put him to the test. The Jags and the Lions and mopping up against the Pack doesn't count.

Posted by: EncinoMan | October 1, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I like his reasoning. Regardless of the outcome this week, or this season - this is the right path and it's nice to hear someone in control talk that way.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

beep-beep

"So, let DT have a few reps"

Amen, brother, amen.

If you're not producing without him, how can you say you can't produce with him?

Git the young'n on the field.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 1, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

... it's nice to hear someone in control talk that way.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2010 11:52 AM |

Ground control to Major Tom
Commencing countdown, engines on

Posted by: EncinoMan | October 1, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

beep-beep

"So, let DT have a few reps"

Amen, brother, amen.

Git the young'n on the field.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 1, 2010 11:57 AM
------------------------------------------
I agree, too. Even though I think the guys is inconsistent as hell, he is on the active roster on game day because he is returning kicks. It should be a no-brainer to give him a few "easy" plays on offense - even if they are just decoy or run blocking plays.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

We will get to Vick, we will sack him, and we will force several 3rd and longs.

The key to winning this game, and what has me nervous, is going to be stopping him on these 3rd and longs.

The Eagles and Vick are among the most sacked in the league but forcing a 3rd and 9 after an Orakpo sack does nothing if you then allow Vick to roll out and hit DJ for 15-65 yards on Hall/Rogers et al.

We have the ponies to win, will we execute?

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | October 1, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Skins 23
Eagles 17

F moral victories
F players quiting on plays
F Philly

If you freaks want to crown the Eagles because they beat the Lions by 3 and a terrible Jags team then by all means...Go ahead.

It's a week by week league, last week doesn't mean ish.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 1, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this was brought up already...but anyone think that Reid wanted Vick over Kolb all along...but wanted to ease the public and fans into Vick...I know you can't plan a concussion...but the whole situation seems a tad fishy to me.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 1, 2010 11:57 AM |

It's easy to say if you have a former defensive player of the year that you only play in nickle packages.

Posted by: EncinoMan | October 1, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Git the young'n on the field.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Been saying that for a few weeks now. I'm pretty sure DT can get 2-3 catches in 3 games. He runs like a RB after he catches the ball.

So tires of the practice BS. Anyone who played sports at any level always remembered the guy that was great in practice and did absolutely nothing when the games were played.

Posted by: dcwun | October 1, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Snyder

While we appreciate your efforts to find the next franchise quarterback for the Redskins, we feel compelled to caution against auditioning Michael Vick for this role. We have reason to believe that his numerous character flaws will continue to severely outweigh any potential short-term gain that you might receive in ticketing or merchanise sales should you decide to sign yet another castoff quarterback from the Philadelphia franchise.

As you might appreciate from your continuing saga with Albert Haynesworth, past returns are no guarantees of future performance when it comes to dealing with other teams for their trade bait, or even in signing overpriced free agents available out there on the open market.

If, however, you still feel compelled to deal in players from the Eagles, you might want to take a close look at their running back. Clearly, the Redskins have a need for someone (anyone) who can play this position and by most accounts, this guy is the real McCoy.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Posted by: Vic1 | October 1, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Dear Vic1,

Thank you for your loyal support to my team, I mean, the team, and for paying the outragious ticket, food, and beer prices at my stadium, oops, I mean FedEx Field! My gold-lined pockets thank you!

I will take your suggestions into consideration, however after much consideration, I must tell you honestly, to go f*ck off. This is my team, and if I want to continue to overpay for freeagent busts or lure anyone from Pedofiladelphia or any other organization I will. Hech, if he'll bring a Lombardi here, I'd set up a special dog fighting ring for Mr. Vick where the old 5 o'clock club shed used to be. But keep watching and spending.

Sincerely,

Dan "The Man" Snyder

Posted by: monk811 | October 1, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Snyder

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Posted by: Vic1 | October 1, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Dear Vic1,

Sincerely,

Dan "The Man" Snyder

Posted by: monk811 | October 1, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 12:07 PM |

But you can portend a failure to launch. It just happened a little sooner than planned.

Posted by: EncinoMan | October 1, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 1, 2010 11:49 AM

He'll get his reps...if the starters in front of him get hurt. If Kolb isn't concussed in Week 1, nobody's even talking about Vick right now...

It's really not too much to ask a guy to show you he can play in practice...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone dug up the skinny on why DT hasn't been in the rec. corpse? There has to be a quantifiable reason.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

My Computer = Double Posting NERD!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 1, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Skins 23
Eagles 17

F moral victories
F players quiting on plays
F Philly

It's a week by week league, last week doesn't mean ish.

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 1, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I like this spread and will agree with it. I think Vick is going to throw a couple of INT's in this game and one of them will be the gamebreaker.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | October 1, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

lmao - corpse should be corps - lol.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm so sick of Iggle-fan yapping from the kids table of the NFC East. Seriously. What have you fools ever won? Oh yeah, nothing. Division titles? Great, congratulations and welcome to the club. You want to bump your gums? GET SOME RINGS BIOTCH!

Wow, Philly has been to 2 SB's. Well isn't that special. Call me when you win 3. Other than that, you biotches can just keep yapping and splashing around in the kiddy pool of the NFL while I walk over, squat and drop a deuce in it and wipe my butt with your division title banner.

Lastly, you know why there are Eagles bars in every town?

People can't wait to get the hell outta Philly. Jesus. Have you seen that town? You could film Mad Max there....tomorrow.

(Owned)

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 1, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 1, 2010 12:15 PM

Idk if corpse was a mistake Dik...but its pretty funny either way.

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 1, 2010 12:05 PM

Compared to beating the Cowboys by one and losing to Houston and St. Louis?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 1, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Lastly, you know why there are Eagles bars in every town?

(Owned)

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 1, 2010 12:19 PM

Boom. Roasted.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 1, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlayAction | October 1, 2010 12:07 PM
------------------------------------------
Nah. Kolb played pretty well in spot duty last year and they thought he was the man. Conversely, Vick looked really rusty last season. Fast forward to this year and everybody is something different than what they thought they were. Teams figured out Kolb's tendencies and Vick, to his credit, worked hard to get back to form and has been rewarded for it.

BTW, I am still not 100% convinced on the Vick resurrection. He has always been inconsistent and I agree with some of the analysts that he is due to throw a stinker of a game into the mix. I don't think you rattle this guy by hitting him. I think you pressure and confuse him with zone blitzes and contain him with a spy. I like what one analyst said about overload blitzes to take away half of the field. That makes him easier to contain.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 1, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Eagles 34, Redskins 20.

Our boys will move the ball through the air, but that D is not ready for and Eagles O that is red-hot.

Rogers/DHall get burned twice for 30+ td passes, and Vick hurts us with some timely 3rd down runs to sustain drives.

Still no run game, especially after we fall behind.

Hope I'm wrong, and stranger things have happened...but the D is what gives me little hope of a win here. I just can't imagine that big of a turnaround.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 1, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 1, 2010 12:05 PM

Compared to beating the Cowboys by one and losing to Houston and St. Louis?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 1, 2010 12:19 PM |

Sorry but were the Lions and Jags everyone on this planet's anointed, preliminary Super Bowl champs?

Let me think...no.

The Skins play down to their level of competition - we've been taught that over the last decade. You know what else we've been taught? They beat or hang close with the teams that are expected to slaughter them too. McNabb has been waiting for this moment since draft day. As the game clock hits triple-zero, he's going to pull out his dong, lean back with both hands behind his head and piss all over an Iggles helmet.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 1, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Let's say I lost my job, my home in Georgetown (and my other one on the DE shore), suffered a head injury that prevented me from perpetuating my career....I could still roll like a rockstar in Philly.

BOOK THAT SH*T.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | October 1, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 1, 2010 12:05 PM

If you want to crown em, then CROWN THEIR AZZ! They are who we thought they were! And we let em off the hook!!!!

Anyone think Shanny will do the Denny Green rant after we lose?

Eagles 27
Redskins 21

I think it's close because it's a Div. game, but Vick's legs will wear us down in the 4th quarter!

We've only scored 13 second half points this year, out of 6 quarters, 7 if you count overtime, and only 3 of those points were in the 4th quarter. We'll probably be up at halftime. We are the Halftime Champions of the World!!!!!!!

Posted by: monk811 | October 1, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 1, 2010 12:05 PM

Anyone think Shanny will do the Denny Green rant after we lose?

Eagles 27
Redskins 21

Posted by: monk811 | October 1, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

If we somehow muster enough wins I really hope the Rams game doesn't come back to kill us like it did two years ago. If we had won that game in 2008 we would have made the playoffs. Hopefully this isn't a continued curse!

Posted by: isonic1 | October 1, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Compared to beating the Cowboys by one and losing to Houston and St. Louis?

Posted by: beep-beep | October 1, 2010 12:19 PM

pabeep-beep2003?

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 1, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm enjoying the silence from #23's locker, but I find it kind of funny that DeAngelo hasn't been running his yap trap this week about how much he wants to cover DeSean Jackson, no matter where he lines up.

Posted by: TheCork | October 1, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

beeps peeps

Posted by: Diesel44 | October 1, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

"The Skins play down to their level of competition - we've been taught that over the last decade. You know what else we've been taught? They beat or hang close with the teams that are expected to slaughter them too"

Wrong, Derrick Huff. What we've learned is this:

*They loose to teams that have have no business losing to.

*They get sizable leads on superior teams (sometimes carry them into the the 4th quarter) only to tank it away in the final minutes.

Really, besides them beating Dallas this season and two years ago down in Texas, can you name a team they beat they weren't suppose to?

My guess is you aren't going to find a game. Tell what you WILL find though: A sh*load of games when they played scrub ass teams and LOST. Every now and then they play "like they know" and knock of a scrub squad.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 1, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

i can't remember more than one or two games against philly in recent history that wasn't decided by a touchdown or less. Shanford and son rebound strong from last two weeks of kindergarten coaching.
Redskins23
Eagles 20

smoke it

Posted by: nflorida1 | October 1, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

eep-beep

"So, let DT have a few reps"

Amen, brother, amen.

Git the young'n on the field.

Posted by: MistaMoe

First buy the guy a seeing eye dog so he can find the field.

I am constantly amazed by peeps here who are smarter than a coach who won two Super Bowls and has seen the player in question in action every day during practice.

Posted by: TheCork | October 1, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Apparently every game isn't must win if you're 14-0. We won't know what that's like for a long time, however. I'm content with 6-10 through 8-8 this season considering we're trying to rebuild and we have a pretty tough schedule (8th hardest as a 4-12 team? ugh).

Posted by: Keiser | October 1, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I hope I'm wrong, but the worst defensive team in the league going up against a QB that outrun everyone of our LB's doesn't bode well for a win. Vic runs for 150+ and we go down by double digits! HTTR!4-12 again.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | October 1, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse