Redskins explore their nose-tackle options in draft

Mike Shanahan is calling it simply "the Redskins defense," but even if the new system is a hybrid of sorts, expect to see a 3-4 base. For now, as the team prepares to build its roster via free agency and the draft, you'll hear a lot more chatter about that nose tackle spot.

Even if the team thinks it has a short-term solution to nose tackle -- Albert Haynesworth, whether he likes it or not, sure seems like a front-runner -- it could use the draft to figure out a long-term fix. Three nose tackles in the draft seem to be generating the most buzz -- and one of them has ties to Haynesworth.

While defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy could be the top two picks, the top nose tackles seem to be Tennessee's Dan Williams, Alabama's Terrence Cody and North Carolina's Cam Thomas.

Having attended the same college as Haynesworth, Williams is very familiar with the Redskins' big defensive tackle. In fact, Williams worked out with Haynesworth before last season.

"He showed me some tips," said Williams, a 326-pounder. "He kind of helped me out a little bit before the season started.''

Tennessee has produced some good defensive linemen -- John Henderson is another -- and Williams looks to only make that list longer.

"We have guys that come out every year. That is part of the reason I went to Tennessee, for the great tradition of defensive tackles," Williams said. "When I first got there, coach Dan Brooks is a great coach and I think he still is producing good products. ... The prestige of defensive tackles at Tennessee, it's a long list. One of my goals in going to Tennessee was to add my name to that list.''

Though he ran a 5.17 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine and did 26 reps on the bench, consider Williams a long-shot for Washington. He's likely a mid-to-late first-rounder, which means if the Redskins do want a nose tackle that early in the draft, they'd likely move down to get one.

Hey, it's Cameron Diaz!

Forget the alligator desks. Dan Steinberg at the D.C. Sports Bog has an item about Redskins owner Daniel Snyder and Cameron Diaz (and Brian Orakpo). Go there now. We'll wait for you to return.

By Rick Maese  |  March 2, 2010; 2:52 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Is changing overtime the NFL's most pressing rules issue?
Next: Redskins' new-look defense will be more complex under Haslett

Comments

Beep Beep Y'all

Posted by: Vicc | March 2, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

OK, since when is working out with Albert a good thing?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 2, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

We should offer Jason Campbell a three year extension..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | March 2, 2010 2:45 PM
-----------------------------------------
And then trade him to Buffalo for two draft picks and a truckload of Buffalo wings.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 2, 2010 3:19 PM

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 2, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

OK, since when is working out with Albert a good thing?

Posted by: zcezcest1

Better yet, who had to be carted out of the weight room first.

Posted by: Predator48 | March 2, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

By Rick Maese | March 2, 2010; 2:52 PM ET

So now everyone can sh!t on OSackPo for hanging out with the owner....

...O wait...this is just a Portis hating crowd here...nevermind....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 2, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

OK, since when is working out with Albert a good thing?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 2, 2010 3:15 PM
-------------------------------------------
Big Al - Okay, Dan, what I am about to show you is only to be used in time of emergency. Now, you got the cheese whiz and the whole turkey, right?

Big Al - Now this is how you stomp a throat.

Bil Al - That's it. Lay on the ground while you get your breath back. They'll call an injury timeout and then you get to go to the sideline and suck on some oxygen...

Big Al - Car accident, car schmacksident...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 2, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 2, 2010 3:11 PM

I know you're a fan of his. He's been more than adequately paid for his contributions.

You and others talk about the past and need to focus on the future. As in CP has a past but no future with the skins. It’s going to hurt for a little while but you’ll come out of it a thicker skinned Skin’s fan rather than a player first fan. At least one of your favorites (JC) will still be here for one more year.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 3:22 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 3:22 PM

Not sure this is a good thing. dcsween may try to make a desk out of him...

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 2, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Is there any chance we get Peppers & trade Andre Carter??

I just remember how he wanted to come here so he could be a DE & he doesn't really fit the mold of a 3-4 DE...

Posted by: tony325 | March 2, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about you guys but I'm excited for Friday. I'm squeezing my own nipples at the computer, thinking about the free agents.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse
________________________________

LOL... FA party starting at 12 am 3/5... get your popcorn ready!!! Redskin One is gassed & ready!

Posted by: tony325 | March 2, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm squeezing my own nipples at the computer, thinking about the free agents.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 3:43 PM

How do you type and do *that* at the same time?

Posted by: League-Source | March 2, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

DE's Peppers and Haynesworth with Philip Daniels back up? NT Montgomery, Golston and ??? someone like the Ravens NT?
The rest linebackers/DE's? That could work if the egos were cast aside and people really worked within the system. Still need a shutdown corner or two.

Posted by: periculum | March 2, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm squeezing my own nipples at the computer, thinking about the free agents.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 3:43 PM

How do you type and do *that* at the same time?

Posted by: League-Source | March 2, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse
I just tell my girlfriend what to type what I want to say, while I squeeze my own nipples

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Sure hope they get that NT out of MD in the later rounds or he might even go undrafted if i remember correctly...... Anybody got more info???

Posted by: cocodc1 | March 2, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking that you might have your priorities just a tad mixed up, but that's just me.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 2, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Redskins explore their nose.....

...tackle options in draft

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 2, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 2, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

No, she squeezes too hard. I like the pain, but only in small doses.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

So now everyone can sh!t on OSackPo for hanging out with the owner....

...O wait...this is just a Portis hating crowd here...nevermind....

Posted by: 4thFloor

As long as Portis shows his pearly whites and asks: "Ca' I do a jig for ya, boss?" -- It's all good, but as soon as he attempts to have an opinion or open his mouth then the collectives tell him to shut up and keep dancing.

"Auh-auh, yes'a boss, what's da matter witcha boss? We sick, boss?" -- Is what people rather hear.

Posted by: RedDMV | March 2, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 2, 2010 3:55 PM

Maybe, but you can be pretty sure that his girlfriend is badly confused.

Posted by: League-Source | March 2, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | March 2, 2010 4:01 PM
-----------------------------------------
I'd rather he just shut up and play.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 2, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 2, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

No, she squeezes too hard. I like the pain, but only in small doses.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Ah Ha!

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 2, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 2, 2010 3:55 PM

Maybe, but you can be pretty sure that his girlfriend is badly confused.

Posted by: League-Source | March 2, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Don't all of us have our priorities mixed up? We play Redskins GM on a blog while we could be doing other things.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 4:09 PM

Well, if I understand you correctly, you're a GM WHILE you're doing "other things."

Posted by: League-Source | March 2, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

It really is surprising - I've often wondered if we are all really good at multi-tasking, or are many of the bloggers self employed or unemployed?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 2, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 2, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Multi-tasking

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 4:09 PM

Who says thats a mix up of priorities?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I do about 85% of my blogging at work, and sometimes in class.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 2, 2010 4:15 PM

Pretty sure the answer is yes.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 2, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Will somebody get Campbell a Zyrtec? He probably would not throw as many picks if he wasn't oxygen-deprived from mouth breathing

Posted by: ElYeah | March 2, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

check out this link.. its on the Redskins switch to 3-4.

Posted by: b145579 | March 2, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that at least one of the following will be wearing maroon and black on Friday:
Sproles
Dansby
Peppers
Rolle

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 2, 2010 4:15 PM

You left out the other group -- the retirees on social security. Guys like Cork, Diesel44.

Posted by: League-Source | March 2, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Rolle and Dansby in the good old "Maroon & Black" but I don't care for the other two prospects. Waste of time and money.

Posted by: lordtwang | March 2, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

And why do they call it a nose tackle, I mean it's not like he's tackling noses. Why don't they call linebackers lipbackers? Or defensive ends defensive ears?

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 4:46 PM

Why was Chris Samuels a tackle? He never tackled anyone. It is what it is.

Posted by: League-Source | March 2, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

This week's comments unless they are misdirection from Shanahan and Allen are making me nervous.

Going after Peppers or Sproles seems just like what the team did with AH and earlier under Gibbs II.

We all know how that turned out.

When is the front office here and coaches going to finally come to the realization that this team needs to be REBUILT not merely re-tooled on the fly.

The Redskins are just not that close.

Adding Peppers isn't going to do anything.

He's 30 years old and spent much of the past 2 years in the doghouse in Carolina due to inconsistent performance.

Peppers and AH together are really going to make for good chemistry in the locker room.

Nothing like a collection of high character, high work ethic veterans to lead us.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 2, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElYeah | March 2, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I think a nasal strip would suffice.

Posted by: iH8dallas | March 2, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Why is no one talking about Dunta robinson? Top flight CB, maybe not the Elite CB, but better than CR, Smoot, or KB. He was the top corner in Houston and he would be great alongside Hall, which would push Carlos to nickel (I think CR would be a great nickel).

Posted by: Copious1 | March 2, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I am sooo glad we will have JC as our QB again! Sign him to a long term contract! More years of mediocrity...same problems as before. I don't know about you but I can't wait to see us play with Soup as our QB. same old sh*t. Come on...wouldn't you rather see COLT play than more of the same???????

Posted by: KurtShanaman | March 2, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

So what's the story about this Cam Thomas fella? Any chance he'll be there in the 4th round? If not, then btwn QB, OT, OG, FS, and NT, that's a pretty long looking wish list.

Dan Williams ... going to get picked in the mid-late first round ... hence, knowing about him does nothing for me. Anybody ELSE play nose tackle? Seems like most every franchise tag used this year was used on a nose tackle.

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

"So now everyone can sh!t on OSackPo for hanging out with the owner....

...O wait...this is just a Portis hating crowd here...nevermind....

Posted by: 4thFloor"

Yep, you got it right. Orakpo is a pro-bowl player. He can hang out with the owner all he wants.

Portis is a sub-500-yard running back eating up $7 million in salary, $6 million of which are guaranteed, who attempts to pull the rug out from underneath anybody that he deems is hindering his already pathetic performance on the field.

If Portis can get back to the 1500 yard performer he once was, by all means, he'll see a lot more praise than criticism.

Posted by: psps23 | March 2, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

check out this link.. its on the Redskins switch to 3-4.

******************************************

Please stop spamming with links to your lame blog

Posted by: kreator6996 | March 2, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KurtShanaman | March 2, 2010 4:52 PM

No. No I dont. I never want to see him play. If he is playing that means something has gone horribly wrong.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | March 2, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Pro tip: Root canal surgery isn't as much fun as everybody says it is.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 2, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I predict at least three FA signings for the Redskins this weekend

1) LB
2) CB
3) OL -- maybe two here

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 2, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Pro tip: Root canal surgery isn't as much fun as everybody says it is.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 2, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

No, no it's not. My Dentist says she does painless root canals - She Lies.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | March 2, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

At least I wasn't at work, so there was some upside.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 2, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

The more I think about the roster needs, I hope to jeebus that the idea here is to convince every other team that the Skins absolutely will draft a QB at #4 ... so that someone will agree to a trade to take that spot ... so we can get more picks to fill the needs.

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

anyone watching the combine? taylor mays just ran an unofficial 4.24... in case you don't know, that is a number that is beyond ridiculous for a guy that's 230... it ties chris johnson for the fastest ever at the combine...

not saying we're in play for him, but WoW!

bare in mind it is nfl network's unofficial time... they've said that about 40 times...

Posted by: poopoobigelow | March 2, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Disclaimer from the Trident commercials:

"Four out of five dentists recommend sugar free gum for their patients who chew gum"

The part that ended up on the editing room floor:

"The last of those five dentists figured out that heavily sugared gum is good for business."

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

pupubig, I think that what you're watching was filmed earlier. The NBC/NFL blog says that Mays' official time comes in above that. Chris Johnson keeps his record for another year.

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

psps23, You hit the nail on the head! F-Portis and F-Dallas also!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | March 2, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

... and with the 37th pick in the 2010 draft, the Washington Redskins pick their nose ... tackle.

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

It's alleged a similar ploy was used last year with Sanchez that allowed Orakpo to fall to us.

I love it if we trade down.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 2, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

not saying we're in play for him, but WoW!

Posted by: poopoobigelow | March 2, 2010 5:39 PM

That was is unofficial time. It's now a 4.43, still great. Johnson ran a legit 4.24.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

predict at least three FA signings for the Redskins this weekend

1) LB
2) CB
3) OL -- maybe two here

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 2, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

If those three are KARLOS DANSBY, DUNTA ROBINSON and BOBBY WILLIAMS I'm a happy man.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 2, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

deez, I believe those who dislike Portis have clouded their vision, the guy can still play. Even last season he was our leading rusher and had the longest run of his career.

If releasing him is best money wise OK. Don't label me as team first. If we hadn't let our back up RBs get old we'd be in a better position, but we did.

I honestly think with an Okung + at least one more O line upgade we compete for a wild card next year. If we release Portis and betts and Cartwright we're in bad shape, IMO

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 2, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poopoobigelow | March 2, 2010 5:39 PM

Not sure what to make of all the 40 times at the combine, seems like #s are all over the place.

=============================

Carroll timed Mays at 4.19
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 2, 2010 3:35 PM ET
The varying times of USC safety Taylor Mays' forty-yard dash continue to pour in.

A league source tells PFT that Pete Carroll timed Mays at 4.19. Of course, that time could have had a lot to do with Carroll hoping his former player ran that fast.

And that's the crux of all these hand-timed measurements. Human error and even bias come into play.

After watching the NFL Network replay of Mays and Jacoby Ford running next to each other -- check the video at 1:10 -- we're more sure than ever that the "official" times are a crock.

The league has turned the Scouting Combine into big business. Major dollars are made by the network and players, so the league needs to come up with a better standardized and equitable way to measure the forty-yard dash.

Heck, it's possible Rich Eisen and his bloused shirt actually broke six seconds and we just don't know.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 2, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 2, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

So VINNIE's oily and devious ways did net a plus for the REDSKINS?

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 2, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

it easy for an emotional fan to blame our short yardage run game on the backs, buy we all know its more about line surge.

No ones arguing about the line, that should speak volumes

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 2, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

We've talked alot about the tender offer stuff about Rogers and Campbell, but haven't talked at all about Rocky MacIntosh, who is also RFA. I say he's a first round tender kind of LB.

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather he just shut up and play.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 2, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Amen. He donne' need no STEPIN' FETCHIT routine. Just play. Yee-Haw good buddy.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 2, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 2, 2010 5:52 PM

Nepotism, maybe?

I like berry better and I timed him from my living room @ 4.00.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing the top 3 picks are: Bradford, Suh, McCoy (*that'd be Gerald, not Colt*).

So Shananahannahan will have a choice of Clausen, Okung, or trade back.

At this point in time, just for the halibut, I say odds are Clausen 45%, Okung 45%, trade back 10%.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 2, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 2, 2010 5:50 PM |

We still need to let at least one of those guys go and my vote is Betts. Played well briefly but a 30+ RB coming of a season ending knee injury isn't likely to be high on the "must keep" list.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Which part of the team will be worse next year: Shanny's offense run by JC or Haslett's 3-4 defense headed by Hayneworth at nose tackle? I think both will be ineffective but the defense will be worse.

Posted by: coparker5 | March 2, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

... If we release Portis and betts and Cartwright we're in bad shape, IMO

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 2, 2010 5:50 PM

They're in stupid shape if they release Portis. Guaranteed money means guaranteed money. The guy should be here if he's getting paid.

I figure that last year's contract treatment of Rock combined with the availability of Sproles means they could kill three birds with one stone in getting a return guy to replace both ARE and Rock (though I do think that Devin Thomas is going to get called on more for KR) plus their #3 back.

Betts, if he stays, looks like he should be PUP till proven otherwise. ACLs dont' grow on trees. I actually think Ganther has a legitimate shot to be a serious RB on this team.

Given other roster needs, I think they should put a WAY low priority on RB for this season. Portis/Ganther/Sproles and tough it out for one more year.

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 2, 2010 5:50 PM

Ganther is better and younger than either Betts or Rock. For the long term health of the team CP should also be cut.

My bet is that Shanahan will find a running back to fit in his system in the late rounds of the draft.

Also, his boy Alridge is here, so the Skins may not even look at Sproles. Not saying Alridge = Sproles, but I trust Shanahan's running scheme and his pick of RB to use.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 2, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

thelightninwill, as long as other teams think there is a 45% chance the Skins go for Clausen, then the chance for trade down go up higher than 10%.

The other opportunity for trade ups would be with Kansas City itself, esp. if they think Skins want Okung. The Cheeves offensive line is actually worse than the Skins. At least the Skins had the injury excuse. So then Skins could do serial trading down ... especially if Seattle thinks that, if Okung is gone, the Skins definitely are going to pick up Clausen ... and Seattle needs a QB. And so on and so on ... then packaging up picks to move back into third round.

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Also, his boy Alridge is here, ...

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 2, 2010 6:08 PM

I wouldn't exactly label Alridge as Shanahan's guy. He was really just another body to throw on the heap of RBs who kept getting injured. Actually, I think Alridge might have gotten to Denver after Shanahan was shown the door.

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Rhino was a third rounder, wasn't he, dcsween? I wouldn't mind a tradeback to one of the many teams that wants a QB...heck you could even plot a scenario where we trade back AND get Okung.

That'd be awesome. But I want to see us pick somebody good.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 2, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2010 6:16 PM

Alridge signed with Denver as an undrafted FA in April 2008. Also, I think it was on MS recommendation that the Skins signed him in 2009.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 2, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | March 2, 2010 6:02 PM

$6.43 million of Portis' 2010 base salary is guaranteed.

2010: $7.1905 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus),

2011: $8.254 million,

2012-2013: $8.5 million, 2014: Free Agent

If they cut him now it will be a 6.43 mil hit but will have ZERO/ZILCH/NADA as far as cap ramifications. If the cut him in 2011, it will be a 10 mil dollar cap hit and go against the cap. Maybe after he’s cut they can sign him to 1 year veteran minimum deal and pay back the team that has made him the highest RB in NFL history.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Chris Johnson keeps his record for another year.

Posted by: dcsween

how fast were Darrell Green and Deion Sanders?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | March 2, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 6:28 PM |

Portis doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would "pay back" anyone for anything.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

FA signings:

BOBBY WILLIAMS - OG
KARLOS DANSBY - OLB

PICKS - straight up:

1- RUSSELL OKUNG OT
2- TERRENCE CODY NT
4- JARED VELDHEER OT
5- JOIQUE BELL RB
7- best available at any position.

Trade ALBERT HAYNESWORTH to SAN FRAN for a first and sixth. Eat the rest of his guaranteed money.

Take C.J. SPILLER and best available in the sixth.

Cut PORTIS, ARE, and SELLERS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 2, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Got it myself:

Back in 1989, the scouting combine wasn't the event it is today. Reporters and cameras were not allowed in to the workouts to document them. So when Deion ran a sub-4.2 40-yard dash -- believed to be the fastest time ever run at the combine -- NFL personnel men stood and drooled. Those who saw it still remember it. Even before he entered the NFL, Sanders left his mark.

According to answers.com, in his prime Green ran a 4.125 40 and in 1986 was unofficially timed at 4.09.
also there is a video of darrell running a 3.9 go to google or youtube and enter darrell green dash.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | March 2, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

how fast were Darrell Green and Deion Sanders?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | March 2, 2010 6:30 PM
=======================================

From the wonder of the innert00bz.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 2, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 6:33 PM

Actually, you're right I think he still owes Ifeanyi Ohalate some money for jersey #26.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

The whole forty yard dash time is ridiculous... TMQ prattles on (as he will) about the absurdity of hyper-precise measurements like hundredths or even thousandths of a second, distinctions which are all but meaningless.

If these dudes were being timed with lasers or some such that kind of precision would be one thing, but if it's some schlub clicking a stopwatch that's just plain dumb.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 2, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 2, 2010 6:58 PM
======================

Are you trying to cast asparagus on The Al Davis Drafting Method™?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 2, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

But those days are over, mostly because he's got a ton of mileage on those legs (regardless of age)...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 2, 2010 12:15 PM

"Portis already has 2100+ carries and had he played those games he's missed he'd have eclipsed that 2000 carry mark 2 years ago."

I was hoping to imply that by your math, you are suggesting that Portis' career would have been over at age 26. That sounds crazy to me.

Posted by: Vicc | March 2, 2010 12:30 PM

I'm going to assume that by posting this multiple times, you REALLY want an answer...so here it is.

And you throw out that he's got over 2100 carries, as if that's nothing. That's a heckuva workload, especially when you take into account the type of running he's been asked to do here. He's not in that one cut and go offense he was in back in Denver. He was playing the role of Stephen Davis and John Riggins at about 15-20 pounds lighter than those guys played at. Even if he only did that for a couple years, he probably took about 2-3 years off his career by playing in that fashion, especially in the physical NFC East.

And yes, I've referenced a guy having fresher legs at an advanced age, relative to his carries. I believe that was in reference to Ladell Betts, who has a whopping 776 carries for his career and got 245 of those in one year. Portis has surpassed that 245 carry mark 6 of his 8 seasons...the two he didn't, his season ended due to injury. So just because a guy misses a half a year due to injury, doesn't mean he'll go into 2010 with fresh legs, especially when he's got 2,176 carries on said legs.

So agree to disagree...we'll see what happens in 2010. My hope is that Portis is done here no matter what; his schtick has worn thin here and the team should move on. Better to get rid of a player a year early than a year late, IMO...especially when that player has been a divisive voice in the locker room.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 2, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

bw26-

I agree. He's a high mile RB in a league where those guys are very replaceable and that alone is reason enough for a divorce.

Here is two other reasons..
1. financial: biggest reason even if he wasn't washed up
2. It's not enough to just change the FO and coaching staff, they need to change the culture.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

sure up the line and make a run at the playoffs next year

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 2, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Employee who claimed Snyder bought alligator desks gets fired

Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2010 6:31 PM ET

Well, the case of the $600,000 alligator desks finally has been resolved.

And the responsible party has been, as Bily Devaney would put it, poopcanned. (I prefer it without a hyphen, Rosenthal.)

The first line to the updated article in the New York Post reads thusly, "Lie to Page Six and lose your job." The item then explains that Claire Gozzo is gone-zo from Giorgio's Palm Beach furniture store after claiming that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder had purchased two alligator desks and matching chairs at a grand total of $600,000.

The strangest aspect of this whole story is how in the world, if it was all indeed fabricated, Claire Gozzo selected Dan Snyder as the phantom buyer of the desks.

And for those of you who wonder why this story is even relevant, we first learned of it because the Redskins issued a release on the matter. A release explaining that owner Daniel Snyder did not spend $600,000 on desks and chairs covered in the flesh of dead reptiles. A release in which Snyder declares that he doesn't even own alligator shoes.

That said, we can understand his sensitivity. Not only is the NFL collectively trying to cry poormouth without crying poormouth vis-a-vis the players union, but Snyder also is planning to negotiate in roughly 50 hours free-agent deals with the likes of Julius Peppers and Darren Sproles. It's hard to nickel-and-dime in that context if in the same week word broke of a $600,000 expenditure on something so inherently unnecessary.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 2, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Agree. Cancer in the locker room and on the practice field.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 2, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Sween, the chiefs line was worse than ours? How'd u calculate that. I know Campbell got hit more than cassel and we started 8 different RGs

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 2, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | March 2, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey, L-S, I collect SSI too. Yee Haw good buddy.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 2, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

The alligator story cracks me up. Try to get the Skins president (Donovan) to talk. I can only recall 2 times, and neither time was relevant to the team. Once was to deny a rumor about Cerrato becoming a consultant after getitng canned and the other is to deny alligator furnishings.

Donovan has no clue.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 2, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Thing about Portis, it'll cost serious money to let him go this year, next year or the year after. Its about when do you cut your losses, not if.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 2, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Pro tip: Root canal surgery isn't as much fun as everybody says it is.
~Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya

Neither are heart attacks.

Posted by: RedskinWillie | March 2, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

what was our record in the locker room? And the practice field? Because Portis has been our best offensive player for the last 5 years based on on field production.

Why is it crazy to think that a guy whose averaged over 1000 yards over 7 seasons can do it 1, 2, or 3 more times?

Aging, unqualified, overpaid backup RBs + a retarded contract = play portis

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 2, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 2, 2010 8:32 PM

Ture, but if you cut him this year there is no cap hit. Same can't be said in 2011, 2012, or 2013.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

we should incorporate some alligator skin into our new uniforms

Posted by: ashn420 | March 2, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

And our record with him as the best has been...........O.K. not HIS fault just most of the other players right? Come on dude. Cut the freak while we have the chance. And forget SPROLES. Grab JOIQUE BELL or some other RB in the middle rounds. Or maybe hit the jackpot by trading HAYNESWORTH for SAN FRAN's #1, and take C.J. SPILLER. Oh yeah, fresh legs. GO 'SKINS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 2, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Here's SI's Tony Pauline on Taylor Mays:

"Normally those numbers would elevate a prospect towards the top of the draft, but we contend that won't be the case with Mays.

During drills, Mays was in poor form. As fast as he was moving forwards, Mays was terribly slow moving in reverse. It was similar to his performance at the Senior Bowl in January. Mays looked uncomfortable backpedaling during drills and one scout called his defensive back fundamentals "just bad." When asked to change direction, Mays would come to a complete stop then start up again. The contrast between Mays and players such as Earl Thomas and T.J. Ward, who lost little momentum changing direction, was striking.

Poor performances in Mobile and Indianapolis do not mean Mays won't be productive in the NFL. It does mean he will be limited to certain systems that don't require him to play man coverage or make plays sideline-to-sideline."

He's a linebacker.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 2, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

"What's the average NFL career? About 4 years or so? So why is it "crazy" to think that at age 28, after 8 years in football, Clinton Portis may be done?"

It isn't. I don't know how you tell when a RB is done except by watching. How did we know Shawn Alexander was done? LaDainian Tomlinson? Emmitt Thomas? It's just a slow accretion of evidence. Injuries actually make it harder to tell, because you wonder if someday your favorite RB will heal. But then he doesn't, and you know.

To me, Clinton looks done. Could he be reinvigorated by Shanahan? I don't know. But I wouldn't bet on it.

I started wondering if he was done during the ill fated second half of Zorn's inaugural season. Portis blamed health and his offensive line, but to me, he had that special breed of burnout known as Redskin Extra Crispy.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 2, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

He's a linebacker.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 2, 2010 8:57 PM

Or a poor man's Dirty 30.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 2, 2010 8:32 PM |

The Skins have what is called a "shadow team". All these duds no longer with the team but still drawing checks with Snyder's sig. Port-o-let will be joining this team soon.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | March 2, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

He's a linebacker.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 2, 2010 8:57 PM

Or a poor man's Dirty 30.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 9:27 PM

A poor man's? LL is a joke, if Mays is a poor man's dirty 30 than he has no business playing football ever again. I'd be willing to bet he's just as good if not better than Landry.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Same can't be said in 2011, 2012, or 2013.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 8:43 PM |

We don't know what will happen. Does the cliche "uncharted waters" sound famil?

Posted by: AlligatorAl | March 2, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 9:40 PM |

Would a rich man's LL work for U?

Posted by: AlligatorAl | March 2, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Aging, unqualified, overpaid backup RBs + a retarded contract = play portis

Posted by: pabrian2003 | March 2, 2010 8:36 PM |

The stats on RBs say that at his age and with his wear and tear the chances of the dud having another 1,000 are pretty pretty slim.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | March 2, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 9:40 PM |

Would a rich man's LL work for U?

Posted by: AlligatorAl | March 2, 2010 9:42 PM

Listen, I know LL is being played out of position but he certainly hasn't improved. Therefore, it would seem that he is uncoachable. So if someone is being compared to LL I'd stay away from 'em. He's had 3 years and all he's proved is that he was not worth the pick that was wasted on him. Rich man or poor man...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlligatorAl | March 2, 2010 9:42 PM

Hey man, you know anything about a desk?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 9:40 PM

People forget what a stud LL was in college.

Combine Results
40 Time: 4.37
10 Yard Dash: 1.55
20 Yard Dash: 2.57
Vertical: 37.5″
Broad Jump: 10′3″

Tackles 315 TFL 16-87 Sacks 8-64 Ints 12-151

I watched this kid dominate college football as a SS. He was a sideline to sideline guy playing in the box and wreaking havoc on the QB and anyone within 10 yards of the line. This is why he was drafted with the 6th pick, ahead of guys like AP.

He is playing in a position that doesn’t play to his strengths. He was the best blitzing SS in college and in his first year with the skins bar none. He can and will be a pro bowler at strong safety. This is more of an indictment of Blache’s scheme and coaching mentality than Landry. Say what you will about his performance on a poorly coached team, but I will only say that his talents have been wasted since the tragedy of 21.

If they address the FS position with an above average safety and let LL play 10 yards off the line instead of 30...he will be the most improved player on the D next and a pro bowler.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

The only tackle they should be exploring is offensive tackle!

Posted by: joeboggs | March 2, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

People forget what a stud LL was in college.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 9:55 PM |

Nobody disputes that (a) the dude has talent and (b) he has not been playing at his natural pos, SS. What gives peeps paws is that he sucked so hard at FS. If he is indeed a stand-out SS that doesn't compute.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | March 2, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey man, you know anything about a desk?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 9:51 PM |

No. I am outdoors all day, wrasslin' gators.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | March 2, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

For the record Okung is off the board by pick #4 and we can't trade back then I hope Berry is our pick.

Again, hard to believe anyone's time in the 40 this year based on what is being reported. Take a look at the video:

===================

NFLN video shows Mays beating Holliday
Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2010 8:29 PM ET
The controversy regarding the "official" 40-yard times from the Scouting Combine has gotten only more interesting, thanks to NFL Network's brilliant creation of a simultaneous comparison of video of the fastest players who ran in Indianapolis.

Return specialist Trindon Holliday officially ran a 4.34. USC defensive back Taylor Mays officially ran a 4.43.

And the video shows Mays beating Holliday.

Speaking of Mays' official time, our pal Rich Eisen of NFL Network said after presenting the comparison, "It has to be flawed."

So how does this happen? Damned if we know, but the same sense of urgency that the powers-that-be applied to the Wonderlic procedures after word leaked four years ago of Vince Young's single-digit result should be applied to improving the timing system of the 40-yard dash.

The problem likely traces in part to the fact that the timing commences not upon the firing of a gun but on the first motion of the player. So the easy fix is to make this faux track meet more like a real track meet, and to tie the timing to the gun or the whistle or whatever.

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 2, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

*if Okung is off...

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 2, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

People forget what a stud LL was in college.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 9:55 PM |

Posted by: AlligatorAl | March 2, 2010 10:09 PM |

The problem is this ain't college. This league is all about what have you done for me lately. The answer is "not sh!t." I haven't forgotten how good he was in college. But he played for a notoriously undisciplined team and it is showing up in his coachability, of which he has none because he wants to make the big hit instead of listening to his coaches and making tackles.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlligatorAl | March 2, 2010 10:09 PM

I know it's not a popular opinion and I have no sacred cows on this team. I'm just positive that under a professional coaching staff you will see a marked improvement in not only development of the personnel but also an improvement of the on field performance.

I could just as easily pick him apart for regressing every year, not being able to cover his own shadow, 50/50 on tackles, being a thug, and not being there for OTAs. Just to give fair balance… but I’m going to start giving most of the guys a second chance under Haslett/Shanny. Except Portis- that turd has been flushed.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

"People forget what a stud LL was in college."

It may turn out that Blache has a lot to answer for. Nobody suggests that the Skins' defense was anything but above average under Blache, but he certainly made some questionable decisions about how to use some of his personnel. Orakpo is one obvious example, Haynesworth another, but so is Landry. It's not just playing him at FS, but the coverage responsibilities he gave Landry didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 2, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 10:19 PM

He'll get his second chance and I'm cool with that but if it ain't at SS than it's a waste. He has not lived up to his draft status and he doesn't learn very well. Natural talent can get you a good ways in college but here it takes a little bit 'o learnin'.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | March 2, 2010 10:13 PM |

"Okung" is a misnomer. He sure ain't no kung fu fighter. It should be "Osumo".

Posted by: AlligatorAl | March 2, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 10:24 PM

Take away his rookie year and he wouldn't have lived up to a 3rd round pick, but that was under Grillams. Under Blache everybody has pretty much regressed.

My only loyalties are to the team, I’m just trying to justify having a reason to have optimism next year.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

... but the coverage responsibilities he gave Landry didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 2, 2010 10:21 PM |

Him whiffing on tackles "didn't make a whole lot of sense" either. His calc of intercept angle makes Adam Archuletta look like a math genius.

Posted by: AlligatorAl | March 2, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 10:33 PM |

Landry has turned out to be a tool and a waste in more ways than one. Having said that I have always found a reason to be optimistic for the next season and if Laron moves back to SS that may be one. Wasn't Kareem Moore a FS in college? He couldn't be any worse their than Laron. Worth a shot if it gets Laron to play to his talent.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Highlights...

Carter LOLB, Alexander OLB and DT, and then there's big Al,

Posted by: TWISI | March 2, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

"Universities throughout the country put on track meets during which times are accurately measured. Why not use the same level of precision when giving players a chance to make the kind of impression that will help determine when they get drafted and, in turn, how much they get paid?"

One would have thought that was a given. This is bs.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 2, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

from csnwashington

C Casey Wiegmann (age 36), Broncos--Chris Russell at 106.7 The Fan is reporting that the Redskins will meet with Weigmann about a possible free agent contract. Wiegmann made the Pro Bowl while playing under Shanahan in 2008. Since Weigmann was waived by the Broncos, the Redskins do not have to wait until the start of free agency to begin contract talks with him.

Posted by: TWISI | March 2, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

don't know my 40 time

got timed with a laser once though

cost me $300 too

Posted by: noonefromtampa | March 2, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

from csnwashington

Posted by: TWISI | March 2, 2010 11:04 PM |

Another C named Casey huh? An over the football hill one at that.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 7:40 PM

Amen, bro.

I think that statement sums up what I most want to see this offseason. It's also the main reason why I'm up here shooting down just about every rumored FA signing. This offseason needs to be dedicated to two major efforts: rebuilding the O-line and rebuilding this team's credibility. You can likely get two possible starters on the line out of this draft, so hopefully that happens. But above all else, this team has to demonstrate that the days of the high-priced "stars" running the team are no longer here. This team has to show that it is now an organization, run by Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan. I can't think of a more depressing outcome than to see Snyder try to put his grimey hands all over the operation and to see Allen and Shanny stand idly by and let him do it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 3, 2010 5:18 AM | Report abuse

Ho Hum.

Ho Hum.

Ho Hum.

Ho Hum.

Ho Hum.

March 5th can't get here fast enough.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 3, 2010 6:18 AM | Report abuse

I hear you Moe...hopefully the flurry of activity effects other teams and not ours.

At least not with the big name, big money guys.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 3, 2010 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Copious1 | March 2, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Dunta Robinson has been duly thrashed up here.

He's a pay-me prima-donna who turned down a contract in Houston with $23 million in guaranteed money (thought it wasn't enough) and was a malcontent distraction about it.

He's also not good. He's not even a #1 CB based on his play from the past couple seasons, but he's going to demand #1CB money.

Posted by: p1funk | March 3, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

The name 'DANSBY' floats before my eyes as the FA deadline looms.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 3, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

People forget what a stud LL was in college.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 2, 2010 9:55 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 2, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

The problem is that in the NFL even a SS has to be able to COVER someone.

Blitzing and hitting hard gets your career only so far before you hit a wall and get exposed as a one-dimensional incomplete defender (see the careers of Roy Williams and Adam Archuleta)

Raw athleticism alone does not get it done at this level, and offensive coaches are smart enough to find/exploit the weaknesses of a defender (see the Raiders game where they lined up McFadden as a WR and forced LL into coverage and BURNED him).

The issue with LL goes beyond putting him back at SS, it's about coaching him up and developing him as a defender, and whether he's willing to dedicate himself to that.

Posted by: p1funk | March 3, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

I suppose it was inevitable that the SHANAHAN era would include "proven" now over-the-hill players from the BRONCOS glory days. God, I hope we don't become DENVER EAST under this guy. Let's start a new identity please and leave history where it belongs......in the past.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 3, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 3, 2010 7:37 AM | Report abuse

If they are signing vet linemen who know Shanny's system to be backups at a moderate price, then I say "bravo".

It's a much better philosophy than going after fat guys sleeping on Derrick Dockery's couch or relying on undrafted FAs.

Posted by: p1funk | March 3, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 3, 2010 5:18 AM |

I agree somewhat but we have to sign SOME FA's.I don't care how good the coaching staff is we can not win with what we have now and we don't have enough draft picks to make a significant difference. If you're going to get FA's you should get GOOD ones. Bodies to fill holes, no thanks, we have plenty. Good player evaluation is the key here.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 3, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

GL, I promise you that the "over-the-hill players from the Broncos glory days" are better than the over-the-hill players from the Redskins underachieving teams of the past several years. I'll take a year or two of low cost Bronco retreads, so long as their arrival is supplemented by drafting young players to take their place. I have no problem whatsoever in seeing guys like Casey Weigmann here, so long as we're not paying him like it's 1999.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 3, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | March 3, 2010 7:50 AM

Also mostly agree but where do we get the starters? We don't have that deep of a draft so if we only sign backups we're still pretty much in the same boat.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | March 3, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Beep

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 3, 2010 7:57 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins are going to come out of the first 2 rounds of the draft with Okung and Ducasse.
Major improvement to last year.

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | March 3, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth worked out last offseason? with this guy? seriously? Not the Fat Albert I saw!

Posted by: scottmando | March 3, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Just been banned on Extreme Skins on the Fat Albert subject. Everyone over there loves the guy. Couldn't improve. I think he is a lazy pre madona. But that is just me. Thanks for listening

Posted by: bobbyaehle | March 3, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Offensive line is the problem guys. Let's get back in touch with reality.

Posted by: hz9604 | March 3, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

"His calc of intercept angle makes Adam Archuletta look like a math genius.Posted by: AlligatorAl"

LOL maybe they should put a GPS in the helmets.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 3, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

By the way, ever notice how many DBs with obvious talent seemed to struggle in Washington?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 3, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse