Redskins players praise hiring of Shanahan

(Updated 10:47 p.m.)

Clinton Portis called the hiring of Mike Shanahan "a great idea." London Fletcher said that Shanahan "instantly becomes the face of the franchise." Reporters Barry Svrluga, Rick Maese, Jason Reid and Dan Steinberg are rounding up reaction from the Washington Redskins. We'll be adding to this file as the night wears on.

"I think it's a great idea," running back Clinton Portis said Tuesday evening. Portis played under Shanahan in 2002 and '03 with the Broncos. "I really think it's the best direction you can head in. You're talking about a proven coach, a coach who's going to come in and get things done, a coach that's got something to prove. He's a hell of a coach. I think the players are going to love him, and I think he's going to bring in the right kind of guys."

Linebacker London Fletcher, who attended the Capitals' game at Verizon Center: "I think it's great. Being able to add a two-time Super Bowl-winning head coach, it's phenomenal. He commands respect from the players right away. ... He instantly becomes the face of the franchise."

"I think we needed a guy in here who people are going to respect off of his name alone and Mike Shanahan is that guy," said cornerback DeAngelo Hall. "You already knew he was going to come in here with a great scheme, a great mind because he's a great coach. You know he's a great leader. But to have that name, Mike Shanahan, associated with the Redskins is big for us, it's big for the fans, and it's just great news."

"I'm not really surprised. Everyone knew it was coming," said tight end Chris Cooley. "I think my first reaction is that I still feel for Jim Zorn. The guy worked hard, wanted to win but it just didn't come together. ... Moving forward, I'm excited to be a part of Mike Shanahan's and Bruce Allen's team. I think with that combination, it's a new vision, a new direction, which is good at this point."

As for Shanahan's offensive approach, Cooley said: "He's done great in the past. They run the ball extremely well. I remember looking at film and there was lots of play-action, lot of formations. It was an intelligent offense. He has the opportunity, with Fred [Davis]and I, to do a ton of different stuff."

"It's definitely a start," defensive end Andre Carter said. "You're talking about a man who's been to two Super Bowls, so he knows what it takes to build chemistry in an organization and have everyone start moving in the right direction. So I think this is a great hire. It's an honor to be working with Mike Shanahan."

By Cindy Boren  |  January 5, 2010; 10:18 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Report: Kyle Shanahan to join his dad
Next: Campbell: Portis calls to clear the air

Comments

10-4 Diesel.

Portis and soup are just CYAing to get paid....

Posted by: Realness1 | January 5, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

first? (need..real..life)

Posted by: chevychasepowhatans | January 5, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Don't buy it yet...

I mean how many games has Shanaman won in Burgundy and Gold...

Talk with me when he does...

Posted by: WRBD | January 5, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Redskins will select Eric Berry with the 4th overall pick.

You heard it here first.

Posted by: mardiros | January 5, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Soups got heart and character and can take a beating like kimbo slice it seems but that doesn't mean he now after 50 some starts can read a D and deliver the ball on time to win based on his 35 winning percentage. Ask Bones21 about his wild throws vs. SD w/o pressure. Yes DC should upgrade the line soup excusers. He's a loser; but he won't start here again. So I like it.

Posted by: Realness1 | January 5, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

The players should respect the Coach they play under...

No matter who he/she is...

Over paid prima donnas....

Posted by: WRBD | January 5, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

First personnel move that Shanahan needs to make is to get rid of the cancer on the team, Clinton Portis. Blasting JC for lack of leadership on the radio after the season shows Portis' true colors. I can't see anyone on the team respecting Portis after his actions this year, trying to have Sellers benched early in the year and now his remarks about Campbell.

Even if Campbell were willing to return, how could the Redskins possibly expect him to play with Portis. The ties need to be cut with players like Portis, Hall, and Landry, who are all about themselves and not the team.

Posted by: wizfan89 | January 5, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

this is just right back to where we started.. hire a GM then the GM will be working for the coach...

when will they ever learn that Bill Parcells is the ONLY guy who's been successful at wearing both hats in recent years???

Holmgren couldn't do it and neither could SHANAHAN in Denver!!!

Posted by: joek443 | January 5, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Cooley angling to avoid the trade...

Posted by: WRBD | January 5, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

What's up with all the glitches tonight? Don't the IT people at the Post realize this is our Super Bowl?

Posted by: closer44 | January 5, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

My dream will come true if Shany cans portis the 2nd day on the job ;)

Posted by: jimboy435 | January 5, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Seriously Shanahan/Allen need to ship Portis out pronto. He's obviously alienated his teammates. Glad to see JC stick up for himself. Bummed that it had gotten to the point where players are publicly pointing fingers.

Posted by: skinswest | January 5, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Off Season Victory is ours ! Boo Yaa ! HTTR

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | January 5, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I really want to be excited about this, but it's hard. To steal a line from the Boss, rooting for this team under Snyder "you end up like a dog that's been beat too much."

I'm not gonna go all negative, though--I'm really hoping for the best. Guess I'll just have to stay medium.

Posted by: closer44 | January 5, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Any thoughts of Mike Vick as a low cost option for the up coming QB competition in D.C. Brian Griese. Jake Plummer. Mike Vick?

Posted by: TWISI | January 5, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

does any of this matter unless DS becomes a smart owner and lets the people he pays to manage the team manage the team?

Posted by: jhwpro | January 5, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Disagree with Soup CYA. I think he held his tongue about a lot of crap all year long, and would have gone ahead and kept on holding it... its how he was raised down in Mississippi. I lived down there for a few years, they have that stand up guy attitude.

When CP unloaded on him on JT show, i think Soup had finally had enough and let it all come out with both barrels.

Good for him. Another chorus:

JA SON CAMP BELL!!
JA SON CAMP BELL!!
JA SON CAMP BELL!!

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 5, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Very gracious of Cooley to praise Davis like that. I really think the possibilities are limitless for Shanahan with those two guys in the mix!!!

Posted by: blackhills1 | January 5, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: closer44 | January 5, 2010 10:32 PM

---------

I know it's early, but this is the post of the year.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

DHall needs to go to. How did I know he would be one of the players chiming in. Cant cover cant tackle and shakes his head on the field following the miscues of others in the secondary

Posted by: robjway1 | January 5, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robjway1 | January 5, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

So, do you think Danny gave Shanny his scouting reports on Clausen and McCoy yet?

Posted by: closer44 | January 5, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Could Mike Shanahan possibly look any more like a rabid beaver?

scaaaaaaaaaaaaary....

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Redskins will select Eric Berry with the 4th overall pick.

You heard it here first.

Posted by: mardiros | January 5, 2010 10:26 PM

Nope, some other d-bag has been saying that on here for days.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 5, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

The Washington Redskins will select Eric Berry with the 4th overall pick.

You heard it here first.

Posted by: mardiros | January 5, 2010 10:26 PM

Nope, some other d-bag has been saying that on here for days.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 5, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of Cooley just for missing Zorn. Really thought trade him for a 2nd. We don't need him anymore...

Posted by: ATLredskin | January 5, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Nope, some other d-bag has been saying that on here for days.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 5, 2010 10:52 PM

They could do worse...i.e Bradford.

It's also been said for about a month.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 5, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: closer44 | January 5, 2010 10:46 PM

---------

Dunno.

but does anyone up here think that either of these two QB's is worthy of a draft selection?

I'd take McCoy in the later rounds if he's still on the board, but would in no way spend a first round pick on Jimmy Pickle.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: closer44 | January 5, 2010 10:32 PM

---------

I know it's early, but this is the post of the year.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

---------

Aw, shucks.

I'd like to thank the Academy...

Posted by: closer44 | January 5, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Nope, some other d-bag has been saying that on here for days.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 5, 2010 10:52 PM

They could do worse...i.e Bradford.

It's also been said for about a month.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 5, 2010 10:54 PM |

All I can say is please God oline.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 5, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

If you had tonight in the hamster pool of when I would wig out and take a polo mallet to Loseable Type...you win!

Posted by: Cindy Boren | January 5, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey Closer.

Don't let it go to your head.

It's still early.

Shut your trap and keep bloggin'

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 5, 2010 10:57 PM

Bulaga having a good night against Morgan in the orange bowl. He may be playing his way in to the first round.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 5, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet
----------

Not to me. A big rap against Campbell I read here all the time is that he can't win (in spite of whatever other problems the team may have.) But then, what's Clausen's W-L at ND?

I don't know what he's worth, but I don't see him at #4 overall, especially with the OL we have.

Posted by: closer44 | January 5, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

BYGO hamsters BYGO

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 5, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy Boren | January 5, 2010 11:00 PM

That's why you're that lil spinning wheel in our hamster cage. You keep us spinning and while most will complain we never end up going anywhere.

That’s why I heart Cindy.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 5, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

first? (need..real..life)

Posted by: chevychasepowhatans | January 5, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

We probably wont do better than 8-8 first year..... So dont get yall hopes up and start crying next year... Have some patience PLEASE.... as long as were working toward a goal and have some respectablity and not be the joke of the NFL.. I will be happy..

Posted by: cocodc1 | January 5, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

"It's not like that," Portis continued,

"because I can name other players who have that same relationship with Mr. Snyder. And as far as us going to dinner and all that, I don't think me and him get in the car and go to dinner together. Have we ended up at the same restaurant? Numerous times. I mean, he likes good food, and so do I, so if we're in the same restaurant, why wouldn't I go speak or exchange a glass of wine or a bottle of wine?

----------

Great.

That makes us feel sooooo much better about all these losing seasons.

Drink up. I suppose?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow, it's getting tough Up Here in the rabid beaver era.

Posted by: SMACK1 | January 5, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

WOW, Life returns to the SKINS! I only hope Shanahan's people constructed the contract in way as to keep Snyder's meddling little fingers out of the pudding!

Hail

Posted by: Spanglerg | January 5, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

BYGO hamsters BYGO

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 5, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey Coach Shanahan:
1- Cut CP making a statement
2- Make JC the one year offer as he is a RFA
see how it goes for you
3 Permit Bruce Allen to trade down about three times in this upcoming draft providing you about 5 more picks.
You are going to need them.
Don't select in the first round until about #15.
Don't be wasting DS' $ on those high picks in Rd 1

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | January 5, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

FYI guys, there will be a press conference at 2 PM, which will officially introduce Shanahan as the Head Coach of our Washington Redskins.

Whether people agree or disagree (because of the post-Elway years), I think everyone can agree that he is an improvement on Zorn (although I do still feel bad for the guy). People criticized the salary cap violations he made during the Super Bowl years, but we won't have to worry in an uncapped year for the 2010 season. I still don't trust the little man up top. Napolean may very well not let the entire 5 year contract go through as history has shown us.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 5, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cocodc1 | January 5, 2010 11:07 PM |

Yes please, I'll take it! After this season 8-8 would be like making it to the playoffs.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 5, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

"Hey, you know Mr. Snyder, after the game, if you win, he'll address everybody in the locker room. You lose, hey, he ain't gonna address nobody. He ain't gonna say nothing to you. You know that. Everybody knows that. It ain't no different with me, he don't speak to me after we lose, he speak to me after we win, just like he do everybody else.

-Clinton Portis

-----------

This sounds strange.

Everything about this.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cocodc1 | January 5, 2010 11:07 PM |

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 5, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, Captain Chaos grew up as a Broncos fan.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 5, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

WalterFootball has Clausen as the number one pick to the Rams.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | January 5, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

We shoulda never let Chase Daniel go. He'll play in this league for sure. Just another idiotic Cerrato move.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | January 5, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

1. Global warming is total BS, Sorry Al Gore and Michael Moore. I'm in FL and should not be freezing my tucas off.

2. Good, safe hire = Marty 2.0
Bring credibility and authority to the players

3. Mock Drafts Analysis - top 5 choices from 100+ drafts by pick

Pick #1 = Clausen, Suh, Bradford, Okung, McCoy
Pick #2 = Suh, Okung, McCoy, Clausen, Berry
Pick #3 = McCoy, Berry, Okung, Suh, Clausen
Pick #4 = Okung, Berry, McCoy, Suh, Clausen

Looks like Okung being available depends on former Redskins Martin Mayhew and who the Lions pick.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 5, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

WalterFootball is a great site, recommend it highly

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 5, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

"come back in 2010 grinding and winning"

Nice backgrounder on Shanahan by Woody Paige, from back in the summer.

Bonus: picture and story of Shanny and his bud Steve Spurrier playing golf.

Posted by: farstriker | January 5, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Looking at the schedule 7-9 or 8-8 is very doable. If Shanny can motivate the hell of the talent on this team maybe (a big maybe) we go 9-7.

At least we could be NOT excluded from the playoffs until weeks 14-17. That would be a huge improvement.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 5, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching the highly "educational" film on MoreMax channel?

Flicking between that and SportNite on Comcast

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 5, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Portis will be here next season and Campbell won't. Portis knows it and Campbell knows it. Which is why Campbell unloaded on Portis.

Despite all the spin Campbell does not want to be here next year and his agent is surely already working to make that happen. Its also clear that Shanahan and the Redskins want to go a different direction with a new QB. The Redskins will likely make a one year tender just to see what they can get. But I suspect that if something doesn't happen in the first week or so they'll withdraw the offer and let Campbell go.

Posted by: elkiii_2008 | January 5, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I like Bulaga and to a lesser extent Calloway as OTs from Iowa. Both are big and athletic. Good 40 times from what I've heard. Like 6'7" and 6'8" respectively. Shuting down GT's nations leading rushing attack is probably the big story in the Orange Bowl. But Stanzi looks like the nations worst QB but he's having a big game also he's hyped as a comeback kid because Iowa has come from behind in nearly every game and 4 in the 4th quarter. But watching it I see a kid throwing up lame ducks (hopefully with accuracy) but with tons of protection. The pass rush is both getting held with little forward progress and almost no penetration. Tons of time being a key to all the come from behind wins. Above average QBs from around the country drool at his situation.

I was never a QB but I keep thinking I could do that. Kind of cool how easy a solid line makes it look. It's kind of ironic I went to Tech. But I'm enjoying the search for Skin's lineman.

Posted by: chavez66 | January 5, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Bored at work and looking for another Skins site to add to your favorites list? Check out Blogandyandgold.com

Posted by: Chrisphilippsen | January 6, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chrisphilippsen | January 6, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chrisphilippsen | January 6, 2010 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I have been a redskin fan for over 30 years, and I would have never thought on those nights of staying up late turning the brightness down on the television so that I could watch my team play that my beloved redskins would reach ground zero. The one thing we have to remember is that the reason we are all so upset is because our franchise is one of tremendous pride, and success...... I agree that hopefully CP has played his last game in DC. I think Jason Campbell deserves the opportunity to prove himself "heck" he has been playing behind a punch of guys that looked like that had just gotten up from the couch. Anytime you hike the ball and take a three step drop and there is at least one free pass rusher headed your way........ I would have gone off on the coaches a long time ago. He is to be commended for dealing with that crap the rebuilding begins with the offensive line, which has been the rock of our great teams! Get rid of CP & and get Jason Campbell some protection so we can see what he can do.

Posted by: oldschool812 | January 6, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

The very first thing the new HC needs to do

is fine Portis, a healthy amount,for

conduct unbecoming of a

Redskin team mate, and then immediately

after that, Portis needs to be FIRED!!!!

Posted by: DeployedFan | January 6, 2010 1:54 AM | Report abuse

The Washington Redskins will select Eric Berry with the 4th overall pick.

You heard it here first.

Posted by: mardiros | January 5, 2010 10:26 PM
-----------

why is that a good move?

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 6, 2010 3:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 5,
===========

global warming also includes extreme swings in temperature.

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | January 6, 2010 4:11 AM | Report abuse

Is there a reason why some of the links come up blank, or is it just me?

Posted by: jberry73 | January 6, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Is there a reason why some of the links come up blank, or is it just me?

Posted by: jberry73 | January 6, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't care less what DeAngelo Hall or Clinton Portis think when it comes to football. I want to hear more about what Smoot, Campbell, Gibbs, Green, Betts, Grimm, and Moss think. Better yet, let's hear Al Davis' take on it. If he thinks it's a bad move, we're going in the right direction

Posted by: horace1 | January 6, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse