Redskins' receivers should have great success in Shanahan's scheme

I had a chance to catch up with Daniel Jeremiah this weekend. He's the former NFL scout who now runs MoveTheSticks.com and nearly always has something pretty smart to share.

Jeremiah was pointing out that it seemed not long ago a lot of people were ready to give up on the Redskins' trio of pass-catchers from the 2008 draft: Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly and Fred Davis. "I haven't given up on them, though," Jeremiah said.

He says that a change of scheme has a funny way of bringing out the best in players like Thomas, Kelly and Davis - guys who showed big potential coming out of college but didn't seem as comfortable in an NFL offense.

"Can scheme make a difference? Well, look at it in reverse," Jeremiah said. "Look at Denver two years ago. Remember Eddie Royal was ready to take over the league? He goes nuts under [Mike] Shanahan. And they switch coaches, switch systems and he's just nothing in McDaniel's offense."

Royal had 980 yards and five touchdowns on 91 receptions in 2008, his rookie year. Last year he had 345 yards - zero touchdowns -- on 37 catches.

"Shanahan's system has been tried and true in producing these types of guys," Jeremiah said. "A guy like Devin Thomas really seems to fit what he likes to do. Shanahan has always been able to take advantage of a big, strong guy like him."

Looking over their roster and their offseason changes, Jeremiah says Redskins fans have reason to be optimistic.

"The most important thing is they realized their main issues were on offense," he said, "and the best way to address that is upgrade the quarterback position and they did that. Next up was the offensive line. I thought they added a couple good pieces there with Trent Williams and with [Artis] Hicks. I'm not a huge [Stephon] Heyer fan on the right side, but you can cover up a right tackle. You put a good tight end over there and you can do a lot of things to help a right tackle. You can't cover up a left tackle, though."

By Rick Maese  |  May 3, 2010; 9:10 AM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan , Offensive line , wide receivers
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred Davis, Chris Cooley are focus of competition at tight end
Next: Redskins release Mitchell, Alridge, Robinson, Hill, A. Montgomery

Comments

moo

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 3, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I remain skeptical until I see it on the field.

Fun-n-gun.
Jeff George.
Rod Gardner.
Mark Brunnel.
700 page playbook.
McNabb & Shanny?

Show me.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 3, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Redskins' receivers should have great success in Shanahan's scheme

By Rick Maese | May 3, 2010; 9:10 AM ET

God is good!

Posted by: beep-beep | May 3, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

"Redskins' receivers should have great success in Shanahan's scheme"

Truth be told, I'd like to see a 'run-first, throw-second' approach.

Since we have an older quarterback, let's take the weight of winning off his back, and use him as a great facilitator who can get the ball to dudes who can make plays.

I'd rather try to win with McNabb throwing less and Portis/Parker/Johnson running more.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 3, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

What we needed was Bruce Campbell... mark my words...

Fairy Ellis will flop, while Bruce Campbell will sore...

I was right about Jason Campbell, now you donks know who the true guru is.

Bow.. or kneel... its up to you!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 3, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

but Fred Davis OVERSLEPT!!!!

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 3, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

"..but Fred Davis OVERSLEPT!"

Actually, his biggest sin was his attempting to hurdle tacklers like the ghost of Renaldo Nehemiah had somehow morphed into his system.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 3, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 3, 2010 9:37 AM |

I with you on that. I think the way Shanny has been approaching the offseason, improving the run game has been a high priority. Getting the run game going to set up play action passes will open Shanny's entire playbook.

Posted by: TWISI | May 3, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

"Redskins' receivers should have great success in Shanahan's scheme"

Truth be told, I'd like to see a 'run-first, throw-second' approach.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Hard to believe that they aren't doing this given the fact they went out and got Larry Johnson and Willie Parker.

Also I think Shanahan has said something like: "You throw the ball to score, but you run the ball to win the game."

I think they'll run the ball plenty.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 3, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

And God spake saying "Let there be posting".

And yea it was good!

Posted by: Predator48 | May 3, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I think Portis has another huge year.

Also watch for Moss to have a few long bombs thrown his way.He still has the speed to burn people.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 3, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | May 3, 2010 9:44 AM

McNabb has never had the benefit of a strong running game.

If you remember, early on in his career, he might have been the best runner the iggles had.

But now, I like the idea of a savvy vet who can be a leader, make throws deep and short, and has star presence.

So you protect him with a strong running game, and back him up with defense and special teams.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 3, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

More QUICK KICKS!

Posted by: TheCork | May 3, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

To me, the best part of these last two posts was reading KyleShan stating that he'd change the coarching to match the talen!

...whoah! There's a breath of fresh aire.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 3, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Has Shanny ever had a defense as good as the Skins?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 3, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Has Shanny ever had a defense as good as the Skins?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 3, 2010 9:54 AM

Our defense sucks. We haven't returned a fumble or INT for a TD in over two seasons. We consistently give up game losing scores and drives. Plus, our secondary is more porous that anal leakage on an old bum.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 3, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Ouch ... burrowing down into this guy's tweeting:

"RT @jaimiegraham: do you think Terrence Austin will have an impact on the Redskins return game?> not a dynamic guy"

Posted by: dcsween | May 3, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru

"Bow..or kneel...it's up to you!"

What do you do, train dogs for a livin'?

Okay, you got the Jason Campbell thingy right.

But so did about 100,000 other redskins' fans.

So stop pounding your chest, and move on.

We have.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 3, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Has Shanny ever had a defense as good as the Skins?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 3, 2010 9:54 AM

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 3, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Then why are we consistently at or near the top 10 in overall defense, year in and year out?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 3, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 3, 2010 9:37 AM |

Posted by: TWISI

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | May 3, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

So stop pounding your chest, and move on.

We have.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 3, 2010 9:57 AM

Fine, but I will bring it up from time to time to drive my points home.

So, I suppose I should move on from the Bruce Campbell issue as well?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 3, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Has Shanny ever had a defense as good as the Skins?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 3, 2010 9:54 AM

Haslett has. I'm trying to recall who Denver's defensive coordinator was when Shanahan was there ... lemme check into the wikithingia.

Posted by: dcsween | May 3, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 3, 2010 9:59 AM

True, but we need to score on defense, cover better, and hold our ground in the 4th quarter...

...all the other rankings don't mean dick.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 3, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

So, I suppose I should move on from the Bruce Campbell issue as well?

How about just moving on...period....

What has Bruce Campbell proven at this time??

Ab-so-lutely..NOTHING...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 3, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan in Denver, defensive coordinators, working backward:

Bob Slowik - Jim Bates - Larry Coyer - Ray Rhodes

Posted by: dcsween | May 3, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize there was a Bruce Campbell issue.

He slayed zombies, foiled the necronomicon, saved the west and now uses his considerable intelligence community connections to aid a disowned rogue agent.

..nuff said.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 3, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

What has Bruce Campbell proven at this time??

Ab-so-lutely..NOTHING...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 3, 2010 10:03 AM

I dunno ... I think he did pretty well against the undead in "Army of Darkness" (Shop smart, shop S-Mart).

Posted by: dcsween | May 3, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I remain skeptical until I see it on the field.

Fun-n-gun.
Jeff George.
Rod Gardner.
Mark Brunnel.
700 page playbook.
McNabb & Shanny?

Show me.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 3, 2010 9:35 AM

Agreed!!

I feel better about this than any other year except the Shotty year. We'll see!!

Posted by: tryumpfant | May 3, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize there was a Bruce Campbell issue.

..nuff said.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 3, 2010 10:04 AM

Exactly! He also has a shotgun arm! Tell me that wouldn't come in handy against a corner blitz!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 3, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

...all the other rankings don't mean dick.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 3, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

No. What we need is an offense that keeps the opposing teams defense on the field. Then watch 4th quarter defense hold their ground.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 3, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | May 3, 2010 9:47 AM

Uh oh, the G word hath already been spoken, and it's only Monday morning.

Posted by: stevek20147 | May 3, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

By Rick Maese | May 3, 2010; 9:10 AM ET

***IRONY ALERT***

What if it turns out that Devin Thomas is a player? This blog has run on the assumption that Vinny Sucks and that EVERYTHING he ever did was terrible. Now, if Devin Thomas steps up it destroys a fundamental RI premise. "God is good but Vinny sucks" will be replaced by "God is good and Vinny was good once too."

Posted by: beep-beep | May 3, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

1965skinsfan

"The problem with this thinking is it's so 1980's. The league is much more pass happy now guys."

Yes and no.

It plays to what should be the team's strength: running and play action passing.

The young receiving corp must prove itself worthy before depending on the passing game--and solid defense/special teams--to win.

Otherwise, teams will smother CC and Moss, and dare the likes of Kelly, Thomas, Austin, Mitchell or whomever to make plays.

And if they don't, the offense will be hamstrung all year.

So you run early on, build up confidence in that group, and if they come through, open the offense up accordingly.

A solid running attack and defense got the jints to the Super Bowl a few years ago.

But passing is what won the game.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 3, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Has Shanny ever had a defense as good as the Skins?

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 3, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Impossible to answer, since we don't know how good the 'Skins' defense will be next season (new DC, new system). I do believe, however, that last year's D was not as good as its no. 10 overall ranking would seem to indicate, because of the lack of turnovers and its tendency to give up big plays.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 3, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

This is the guy who first connected TWill to the Skins.....And how I came to correctly pick TWill to the Skins.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 3, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

What we needed was Bruce Campbell... mark my words...

Fairy Ellis will flop, while Bruce Campbell will sore...

I was right about Jason Campbell, now you donks know who the true guru is.

Bow.. or kneel... its up to you!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 3, 2010 9:39 AM
You're an F'n idiot BUTT_Guru! Always the most uninformed post on here...I really wish you would change your damn screen name!!! BTW, Bruce Campbell will sore??? what, is he going to pull a muscle??? Wow, you're a spelling guru too!!!!

Posted by: wdcdave | May 3, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 3, 2010 10:18 AM

It wasn't solely on your research? Man, you just dropped down a peg...you will henceforth be known as 3rd floor ;)

Posted by: stevek20147 | May 3, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

This article further proves how clueless and inept Jim Zorn was as coach. In his first season, he and Clownble benefitted from the carryover from Gibbs / Collins last season with Portis tearing up opposing defenses. Once defenses got used to our attack and started daring Clownble and Zorn to beat us thru the air, the Skins went 6-18.

That won't happen this year. The Skins have a more than capable QB and a coach that knows how to utilize his talent. Could be a turnaround of epic proportions this year.

Posted by: dc1020008 | May 3, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Plus, our secondary is more porous that anal leakage on an old bum.

Posted by: Sports_Guru

Ewwwwww dude

Posted by: jacksonalex | May 3, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

wow. a veritable torrent of posts on.... football?

just taking it easy and soaking it all in.

cheers.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 3, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dc1020008 | May 3, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

WILL be a turnaround of epic proportions this year.

Starting with the prison raping Dallas will receive in DC opening week.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 3, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Plus, our secondary is more porous that anal leakage on an old bum.

Posted by: Sports_Guru

Ewwwwww dude

Posted by: jacksonalex | May 3, 2010 10:27 AM

Sorry, was just looking up side effects of some protein bars when I wrote that post.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 3, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

...all the other rankings don't mean dick.

Posted by: Sports_Guru

ughhh, we could be giving up 400+ yards and 28 points a game, that's sucking. you are saying total YPG and PPG don't matter? hahaha. while our secondary could be better and we could force more TO's and scores, overall we have a solid D that was misused/underutilized the past few years under blatche. and while the D did give up a few 4th quarter leads last year, you can't expect them to HOLD all game, especially with the offense struggling to score more than 17 points and never giving them a decent cushion. Our defense is the only thing that kept us in games at games....ie at dallas holding them to 0 points until the last few minutes of the game.

on topic, I think and hope DT and MK will make huge leaps this year, esp Thomas. Can't be any worse than Zorn and Campbell.

on topic,

Posted by: Neverender84 | May 3, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I didn't know bums ate protein bars.

Posted by: iH8dallas | May 3, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 3, 2010 10:09 AM

I was in the minority during these dark ages or RI.....I always thought the DT11 and MK12 combo would succed when everyone was screaming Eddie Royal and DJackson....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 3, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

meant with zorn head coach and campbell at QB btw yall know what I mean.

Posted by: Neverender84 | May 3, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

4th, I was among those trying to preach patience with these guys as well...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 3, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 3, 2010 10:34 AM

...should be very interesting to see how DJackson looks this year without DMac, eh?

Posted by: stevek20147 | May 3, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Right....BEcause rookie years mean nothing...not to mention we didn't have a real HC...just a holdover until a real one became available....

That '08 season was wild.....Eddie Royal This and Eddie Royal that.....and DJack had a Vet QB who knew how to look of the Def BAckfield, such as....But DJack still may be the truth, but so can our guys.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 3, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

In Denver he was able to compensate with a very strong running game. But given how hard it was for him to find success at WR I'm skeptical that Thomas, Moss, Kelly, and Davis will be able to make a quick, successful transition.

Posted by: fedbert | May 3, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

4th, I was among those trying to preach patience with these guys as well...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 3, 2010 10:36 AM

Patience is a virtue, and sex they say is a sin. I've been waiting around so patiently and she still won't let me in.

--- Name the band from whom those lyrics were pulled!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 3, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"I didn't know bums ate protein bars."

Beggars can't be choosy.

I like my protien bars in the shape of a good steak steaming on a bed of onions and peppers on a hot grill.

Ooops!

What the......?

(INSERT image of Moe feeling his backside as a stain spreads like an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.)

Excuse me while I go take care of the anal leakage I just brought on myself.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 3, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"I didn't know bums ate protein bars."

Beggars can't be choosy.

Ooops!

What the......?

Excuse me while I go take care of the anal leakage I just brought on myself.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 3, 2010 10:45 AM

Awesome post!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 3, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"Redskins' receivers should have great success in Shanahan's scheme"

Praise god...er, God, and her almighty wisdom.

Posted by: psps23 | May 3, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The good news seems to be that we finally have a coach that recognizes the one of the more fundamental rules of coaching...Build your system around the talents of your players, not force players who are not able components of a system into playing something they're not. Like Shanny said, if it workds out that Cooley/Davis combo is better than a 3 WR set, go with it. You play to your players talents, maximizing what you have, not trying to force a square peg through a round hole.

Posted by: eello | May 3, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: eello | May 3, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Desean Jackson can not go over the middle. When he does he gets KO'd. Just ask London Fletcher. The reason Thomas was ranked higher than Desean is because Thomas is big enough to go over the middle and has roughly the same speed. He's still a raw talent. I think he'll do very well this year unless:

1. Our new O-line struggles.
2. Our 30 year old RBs get hurt.
3. McNabb gets dinged up and starts slinging every other pass into the dirt.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | May 3, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I was looking for the Spishak Cholestra product w/ 10% LESS anal leakage.

No decent quality vids, tho.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 3, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

"I am concerned that the receivers may be an unexpected Achilles heal for this team. As a longtime Bronco fan I saw Shanahan struggle to find consistent receivers for the years between Ed McCaffery/Rod Smith and Brandon Marshall/Eddie Royal. In between was a long line of trouble at WR -- high draft choice busts (Ashley Lelie - 1st, Darius Watts - 2nd, Travis McGriff - 3rd), high priced free agents (Javon Walker - 1 good year), and a lot of lower profile misses (Kevin Kasper, Eddie Kinnison (did well in KC later), Domenik Hixson - played with Giants later, others)

Posted by: fedbert | May 3, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse"

This brings up an interesting set of questions.

Was it Shanahan's inability to find a successful WR the issue? Or was it his inability to develop capable WRs into successes the issue?

Shanahan did not bring in DT, MK, and MM -- but he is charged with developing them. He missed on Lelie, Watts, and McGriff - but none of them proved to be capable players outside of Denver either. Maybe his scouting of players isn't the greatest, but if the Eddie Royal pattern holds, his development of lesser players into better ones could bode very well for guys like DT and MK.

Posted by: psps23 | May 3, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

PA - stop scarin' me, maan. too real.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 3, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I don't think they have invented a surfactant for Moe spill yet

Posted by: ElYeah | May 3, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 3, 2010 11:00 AM

Believe in the Keenan!

Posted by: stevek20147 | May 3, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: eello | May 3, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

That's a great point.

I recall last year, when the Skins offense was failing and there was a story about Zorn having some kind of heart-to-heart with his mentor Mike HOlmgren, and Holmgren's advice to Zorn was "trust the scheme".

That was, quite frankly, piss-poor advice. Zorn continued to "trust the scheme", the way that a straight-jacketed loon bangs his head on the wall of his cell trusting that the wall will eventually give way.

What Zorn needed to do was some real coaching and "adjust the scheme", not blindly follow Holmgren's WCO orthodoxy on his way to a 4-12 season.

Posted by: p1funk | May 3, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

psps23

"...God, and her almighty wisdom."

God is a woman?

I imagine she looks like what would happen if Oprah Winfrey and Hilary Clinton hooked up and had a baby.

It's my understanding that Oprah might like that.

A female god would explain why the seasons change as a dude God would make sure it was Football season year round.

A dude God wouldn't have commandments against adultery and lying, but would make sure you had Sunday as a day to rest and watch sports.

Which is the way it is now.

And that's how we know God is a dude.

And a woman you piss off, the Devil in disguise.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 3, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

beepbeep...too funny!

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | May 3, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 3, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Eddie Royal aside, I think B. Marshall is even a better example of developing a WR.

He was taken in the 4th round (lower than Royal), though his draft rating was even lower than that.

Now he's one of the top 5 WRs in the (production-wise), but it's not like he had Larry Fitzgerald/Randy Moss hype coming into the league.

Posted by: p1funk | May 3, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 3, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

If TV has taught me anything it's that god is both Alanis Morrisette and Morgan Freeman.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | May 3, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Great, now every time someone responds to Beeps, I'll be thinking there's a new post. Thanks for the added level of confusion! arrgh. lol.

HOw's about when responding to them we use "@beepbeep" so I don't scroll to the top of the SJKing page every time!

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 3, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

What, no George Burns??!!

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 3, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

How many 4th quarter losses did this defense allow down the stretch ?

Plenty.

This defense may look good on paper but how many game winning drives did they allow ,when the offense gave them the lead late in the 4th quarter...Campbell didn't play defense...neither will McNabb.

Posted by: petebowling1 | May 3, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

How many 4th quarter losses did this defense allow down the stretch ?

Plenty.

Posted by: petebowling1 | May 3, 2010 11:22 AM

True, but I believe that is a classic sign of a defense that has simply been on the field too much. We were getting killed in time of possession, so they were gassed big time by the 4th quarter. Time will tell for sure though...

Posted by: stevek20147 | May 3, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 3, 2010 11:16 AM

He even got me with that one. You know, just to be sure I wasn't missing anything...

Anyway, I change my screen name from time to time so about the time this gets worked out I'll be moving on to the next one. I can't decide between "First!!" and "God is Good!!"

Chia_Pet has already claimed most of the screen names -- Risa_L, Roftrau, Debaitor, monekymayonaise, AssWipe, etc., and I think he's trying to sell them on eBay.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 3, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

I'd just like to say... I'M RICH B!TCH!!

Every year I go to this KY Derby Party at Pimlico race track... this friend of the family rents out The Jockey Club & we bet on horses & get open bar on top shelf drinks, so it's a real good time.

By no means am I any expert, but in the past the horses have been pretty good to me. Well, this day I bet $5 on a trifecta, #4, #2, & #10 on the KY Derby... it hit!!

$5 = $5843.50 ... Luckiest moment ever!

Posted by: tony325 | May 3, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Tony's buying! Another round of protein bars!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | May 3, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

We cut Marko Mitchell?!?!?!?!? what's up with that?

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | May 3, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

$5 = $5843.50 ... Luckiest moment ever!

Posted by: tony325 | May 3, 2010 11:31 AM

This is sort of the opposite of what happened on my investment in Six Flags that 4thFloor said "You can't miss! Book it!"

I did. I booked $5843.50 for a thousand shares. Today? $5.

Can you take me with you next year to that party? I've got $5 that I need to book.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 3, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Beepity frickin beep!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: stevek20147 | May 3, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Vinny was passable as an evaluator of individual talent. He was a pretty good scout who, in classic Peter Principle fashion, was unable to see the big picture well enough to assemble a TEAM as opposed to a bunch of talented individuals. The refusal to draft O-lineman was only the most glaring example.

Posted by: zimbar | May 3, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

One of the most damning things about Zorn's offense was that he had only one play from each formation. Once the opps defense learned his formation/play combos, they knew what play he was running. Just Terrible.

My FAVORITE quote from George Allen:

Reporter: "Coach, how are you going to stop the Dallas blitz?"

Allen: "Land mines!"

Posted by: PriorKnowledge | May 3, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

We cut Marko Mitchell?!?!?!?!? what's up with that?

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | May 3, 2010 11:37 AM

Hard to believe, isn't it? RI favorite gone! Plus Anthony Alridge, gone! Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan must have been watching these guys in mini-camp instead of reading our posts up here.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 3, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

League-Source, the new beep beep

Posted by: SMACK1 | May 3, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Plenty.

Posted by: petebowling1 | May 3, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Let's look at the Panthers-Skins game as an example of how backwards this POV can be:

The Skins lost the game 20-17 after going into the 4th quarter with a 17-9 lead.

So the story of the game is that the Skins D "couldn't hold" the lead, highlighted by D.Hall's missed tackle on 3rd down that allwed Jake Delhomme to ice the game.

Right? WRONG!

The Skins D caused a turnover on the first play of the game, giving the offense the ball at the CAR 13yd line, leading to a Skins TD.

The Skins D stuffs Brad hoover at the 1 yard line, causing a turnover on a would be TD. However, on the ensuing play, CLinton Portis gets tackled in the end zone for a safety.

In the 2nd half D.Hall picks off J.Delhomme and returns it 44 yards to the CAR 1-yard line leading to the other Skins TD run.

On the ensuing kickoff, CAR returns the ball 55 yards setting up a short field for the D, leading to a CAR TD.

In the 4th quarter, another Redskins Special Teams gaffe on a punt gifts the ball to CAR on the Skins 12 yard line, leading to another short field and a CAR TD.

So, "on paper" it looks like the Skins D failed to hold a lead and cost them the game. In reality, the D was doing EVERYTHING that game. Creating turnovers, gifting the Skins short-field scoring opportunities. The Skins offense was TOTALLY inept (totaling 189 yards of offense), as was special teams and buried the team as a result.

Posted by: p1funk | May 3, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

great post p1.

and damn, cutting Marko? Gonna be pissed if he goes elsewhere and balls out..

Posted by: Neverender84 | May 3, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell, two running backs among Redskins cuts
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 3, 2010 11:44 AM ET
Redskins fans no longer have Marko Mitchell to pull for.

The seventh-round pick from 2009 was a fan favorite after a nice training camp last year, but new coach Mike Shanahan quickly decided he had no use for him.

Mitchell was among five Redskins cut Monday. The other four: running backs Anthony Alridge & P.J. Hill, wide receiver James Robinson, and defensive linemen Anthony Montgomery.

Montgomery started 22 games for Washington over the last four years.

Letting go of Alridge and Hill could be seen as a vote of confidence for Ryan Torain. The Redskins need some backups that can play special teams; Larry Johnson and Willie Parker don't qualify.

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 3, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Vincent Jackson. The Chargers are ready to get rid of him. He'd be the perfect target for McNabb. Go get him Shanny.

Posted by: coparker5 | May 3, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

And on first down, God said" run between tackles", and they gained 2 yards.

And on second down God said" run off tackle" and they gained 4 yards.

And on third down God said" run counter trey" and they gained 4 yards.

And God said " first down" and it was good after they measured.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 3, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

And on first down, God said" run between tackles", and they gained 2 yards.

And on second down God said" run off tackle" and they gained 4 yards.

And on third down God said" run counter trey" and they gained 4 yards.

And God said " first down" and it was good after they measured.

Posted by: peaceful2008 | May 3, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Might as well sign T.O. and let him compete. Bobby Wade and Galloway? Really? Are you serious? If faith in the Redskins passing game was stock then its dropping fast! Invest in Portis and the running game!

Posted by: mmason1 | May 3, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I am not surprised by this. There is talent on this roster. We just needed someone to make sure our WR's can succeed rather than having a Zorn-like system that forced the WR's to be superman or else they got nothing

If we play wide-open and have a QB that can get them a ball, they will be 10x better than they used to be

Posted by: Bious | May 3, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse