Redskins will hold training camp at Redskins Park

The Redskins will hold training camp this summer at Redskins Park in Ashburn, the team has announced.

"I have heard about the passionate fans and the huge, enthusiastic crowds that come out to support our team during training camp," Coach Mike Shanahan said in a statement released by the team. The dates on which camp will be held will be announced at a later date.

"I'm looking forward to sharing in this experience for the first time. Training camp is the time our players build their identity as a team, and we are pleased to begin laying the foundation for the 2010 season in front of Redskins Nation."

The Redskins have had training camp in Loudoun County since 2003. The team first had camp there in 2000, then went to Dickinson College for two years.

"Staying in Loudoun County was the best thing for the Redskins," Shanahan said. "We have brand new practice fields at Redskins Park, ample meeting room space, a terrific relationship with Loudoun County and everything we need to have an outstanding training camp."

By Cindy Boren  |  March 24, 2010; 11:38 AM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan 'totally' disagrees with Haynesworth's decision on workouts
Next: Shanahan expects Portis to 'be in great shape' and at a lower weight

Comments

Would have liked for them to get away.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 24, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

They should go back to Carlisle...training at home is lame.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

If Haynesworth is in shape, this is forgotten, but if not....

Posted by: rickyroge |

...Shanahan has his perfect "bad example" to argue against anyone else who would like to skip camp and do his own workout program.

Ironically, if Haynesworth returns in great shape, and has an all-pro season, that act alone undercuts Shanahan's discipline.

Posted by: TheCork | March 24, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

He said everything except he liked it.

Posted by: 2ndtierfan | March 24, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of training camp, rumor has it the HATED COWBOYS will return to Oxnard CA for their camp in future years.

THIS IS GOOD NEWS.

Oxnard is near the ocean, cool and rarely obnoxiously humid. By training there, the 'pokes will be less ready to play in the heat and humidity.

Posted by: TheCork | March 24, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork
___________

Plus I can drive out there from Hollywood and ply them with booze & aspiring "actresses", and make them even weaker...

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 24, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

From the good folks at HogsHaven

2010 Pro Bowl - Offensive Line Rosters:

- Of the 15 OL, 9 were first round picks. 5 of those were selected in first seven picks.
- 5 of the 7 Tackles were 1st round picks (3 being top 4 picks)
- 5 of the 11 QBs (incl reserves and alternates) were 1st round picks

2009 Pro Bowl - Offensive Line Rosters:

- Of the 16 OL, ten were 1st round picks
- 6 of the 8 Tackles were 1st round picks.
- 4 of the 7 QBs were 1st round picks

See a trend here? DRAFT OL.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I live about 20 minutes from Carlisle and I can tell you right now that the Skins a missing out on an untapped resource there. Not only is it good for team chemistry to hold training camp away from home, but you also bring your product to a region that has no pro football team and is nuts for football.

The central PA area is within 3 hours from about 5 NFL teams: the Redskins, Ravens, Steelers, Eagles and Giants. This area is a good mix of fans of the first 4 teams listed. And most of the Redskin fans here became fans because 1) they hopped on the bandwagon in the 80s and 2) they got to see them in training camp every year. The fans I've met here are definitely die-hards and are even willing to travel for games.

Not ignoring the local fans either; if you really look at it, Carlisle is even closer for a lot of fans that live in the DC Metro area than Ashburn is.

Seems to me the Skins can help themselves in more than one way if they take camp back to Carlisle.

Just a thought.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"They should go back to Carlisle...."

I became a redskins' fan during the '80s while on a day trip me and a couple of stoner friends took.

I don't remember how we got there (or home), but I do remember coming home a fan of all things burgandy and gold--it was an odd set of colors that somehow matched my love of the Big Apple and Pinstripes.

The Yanks were coming to the end of a run and the redskins were just beginning one.

Those were good times.

Everything was Reagan, early hip hop, and love for some dude named Riggins who used to be a NY jet.

But looking forward, I'd rather the team let the 1980s and its mythology.

We've finished last in the NFC East two years running, and that present reality means thinking forward, not looking back.

I want this team to go on another playoff, Super Bowl type run or be one of the teams always in the conversation for both.

We had a second helping of St Joe, and know that memories aren't what it takes to win in today's NFL.

Let Shanallen rebuild this place in a new place and time.

And from there, we'll get new memories.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Actually maybe that will be better in Ashburn. Since I am moving back there and I can see it in person instead of living vicariously through you folks

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 24, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe also infest their practice fields with gophers. Gopher holes just can't be good for ACL's, MCL's, Achilles, etc.

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 24, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow....Just Wow...

Must be a slow day if people are now inserting rules for 'political correctness'...

.....And this Ultimate NO NEWS event of where Training Camp will be held......

Why don't we just look at my new mock draft?? (4.0)

1. Bradford
2. Okung
3. McCoy
4. Spiller

=============================

I see this being my final unless a trade happens between now and the announcement of the #4 pick in the draft.

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Why don't we just look at my new mock draft?? (4.0)

1. Bradford
2. Okung
3. McCoy
4. Spiller
...
Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2010 12:04 PM
=========================

Two out of four isn't too bad, I suppose.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | March 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 12:06 PM

North or South on I81 of Carlisle?

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

"North or South on I81 of Carlisle?"

I went to school in Shippensburg.

That's 20-30 min. away.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 24, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | March 24, 2010 11:57 AM

I can almost see what you're saying here, but since it's voluntary to be present at the Park I can't see this being an issue with Shanahan's discipline. Being at voluntary training is something that Shanahan has little direct control over. He can influence, cajole, etc but ultimately he can't require a player to be there. If Shanny has different standards towards players regarding situations where he has direct control during the pre-season and in-season, then I can see it undermining the discipline he will want to establish. Again offseason, in-season do not equate.

Posted by: TWISI | March 24, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Snyder will hold camp wherever he makes the most $$$. Which is Ashburn. He probably gets a percentage of the Greenway revenue.

Posted by: laud001 | March 24, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Pfunk, you're comparing teasing someone's accent with starting a riot because of two of the most emotionally charged topics in the history of our planet.

Apples and oranges, dude.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

And now you seem to be comparing a football player who talks alot about Jesus to religion-induced rioting?

Also, apples and oranges.

And if you don't think that riots have been started over "accents", you need to get out in the world and live some...

Posted by: p1funk | March 24, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

BW - Did you use to go to the Steelers/Skins Scrimmages? Those use to my my August treats to watch it on Fox 5 with Buckhanz covering the scrimage......

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

it's all about the $$, isn't it....

Posted by: DikShuttle | March 24, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Diesel, I live up in Harrisburg so I'm North of Carlisle on I-81. You're up here too?

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I liked when they held the camps in Carlisle as it took the players away from “city-life” for a while and forged some togetherness and focus. Staying in the dorms rather than hotels might have toughened em up some as well. I guess it doesn’t really matter where they are…..redskin park I would assume has much better facilities and weight room etc. As long as shanny doesn’t run a soft camp like Zorn did, and they especially should not let any of the vets go home every night. They all should stay in one place (togetherness, etc)……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | March 24, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

How hard is it to actually go watch some of the practices...I mean in terms of parking, prices, etc.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 24, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm about 20 minutes south of Carlisle and there are a lot of Skins fans here. We are closer to the Skins than anyone not named the Ravens. I think moving back to central PA could help take back some of the fanbase we lot to the Ravens. There is a migration of marylanders to central pa because of the income and property tax rates being lower here. Many of these people are Ravens fans.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 24, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

If Haynesworth is in shape, this is forgotten, but if not....

Posted by: rickyroge |

We're past that.

Haynesworth will never be in good enough shape. Never.

The second he gets rotated out of a game for a snap or 2, the firestorm of criticism that he's a lazy out-of-shape over-paid prima-donna locker-room cancer will flow like melting snow from the mountains in spring time...

Posted by: p1funk | March 24, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

What?!?!!? The Landover Redskins practicing out of state?

Posted by: dcsween | March 24, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2010 12:15 PM

Wow 4th, you just put me in the "way back" machine. I used to love those. Always on a saturday afternoon.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 24, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Agree to disagree, pfunk...not taking the bait today, dude.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

If Haynesworth is in shape, this is forgotten, but if not....

Posted by: rickyroge |

We're past that.

Haynesworth will never be in good enough shape. Never.

Posted by: p1funk | March 24, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 12:15 PM

I have a house in Chambersburg that I just sold. Harrisburg ain't bad, lots to do...Chambersburg is a truck stop exit, Zero to do.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 12:06 PM

Ashburn is a tapped un-resource.

Posted by: dcsween | March 24, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

PA17-

What town?

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Exactly, PAskins...I hate how much purple is represented here. Especially folks in York...no shame in repping a team that doesn't even play in their state (O's fans included).

I grew up in MD and moved to PA for work. Miss being able to see Skins games on Sundays for free...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

... that he's a lazy out-of-shape over-paid prima-donna locker-room cancer will flow like melting snow from the mountains in spring time...

Posted by: p1funk | March 24, 2010 12:18 PM

FLAG ... unsportsmanlike mixing of metaphor and unnecessary use of the adjectives.

Posted by: dcsween | March 24, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm from carlisle and aside from the annual car show, the skins training camp put us on the map. I worked at dickinson college and remember seeing earnest byner riding his bike casually through campus and Joe Gibbs then was very cocky(not a bad thing) and proud. did alot of local speaking about faith. was so happy that marty brought it back for a year, but then spurrier or should I say snyder brought it back to redskin park.

Posted by: sthai75 | March 24, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Agree to disagree, pfunk...not taking the bait today, dude.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough. Agree to disagree.

I know its awkward to be confronted with your own inconsistencies.

It wasn't "bait"...I was making an observation about things you had already written and posted on your own.

"Bait" would be me making some unprompted comment like"

"Hey Cork, George W. Bush is the man"

Or

"He RedDMV, white people rule".

Or

"Hey Zeke, I think it would be idiotic to take an aircraft carrier and use it in disaster relief".

Posted by: p1funk | March 24, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

What?!?!!? The Landover Redskins practicing out of state?

Posted by: dcsween | March 24, 2010 12:17 PM

That's how I feel to. Besides....I am the only REAL LAndover SKins fan....

...The rest of youse guys are out-of-towners.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | March 24, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

PA17-

What town?

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Same as where moe went to school, Shippensburg.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 24, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Hold on, George W. Bush isn't the man? I'm confused.

Posted by: C-DubDC | March 24, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 12:18 PM

Yeah, I haven't even explored Chambersburg...sounds like I shouldn't even bother.

And Harrisburg only has "lots to do" comparatively speaking...the only semblance of night life here is 2nd Street downtown, and that's what I refer to as a "broke-ass Adams Morgan".

It's a decent area if you have a family; if I came here single I'd be on suicide watch because it's so boring.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

i think most redskins fans want the team in carlisle...

Posted by: destewar | March 24, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

White people do indeed rule.

Seriously, no bullsh*t, they do...

Posted by: RedDMV | March 24, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

ORLANDO, Fla.—The Philadelphia Eagles are receiving offers regarding quarterbacks Donovan McNabb and Co.

Eagles coach Andy Reid told the Philadelphia Inquirer that the team is fielding offers for the quarterbacks.

"This is the truth: Our three quarterbacks are Philadelphia Eagles," Reid said. "People are entertaining us with offers. Nothing’s been done, but we’re evaluating all of them. That’s the truth. There’s not a lot really going on other than entertaining."

Although virtually no one is apparently interested in Michael Vick since he wants to be a starter, there is significant interest in Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb.

Per the report, the Eagles are willing to do a deal for a second-round pick or a package of high picks rather than demanding a first-rounder.

"There are coaches who dream to be in this situation," Reid said. "I’m not in any hurry to get rid of any of them. Have people talked? Yeah, people have talked. Have we listened? Yeah, we’re in the process of listening. The bottom line is if I have all three of them, that’s great."

Posted by: skinfanman | March 24, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Hold on, George W. Bush isn't the man? I'm confused.

Posted by: C-DubDC | March 24, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Take it up with Cork...

Posted by: p1funk | March 24, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Same as where moe went to school, Shippensburg.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 24, 2010 12:24 PM

Sorry about that..Sweet golf course 15 mins away called Penn National, tho.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 24, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

He's not kidding about Chambersburg. I have some single friends living there and they all say it's terrible. They come up to Shippensburg for something to do. At least Shippensburg has the college...and college bars.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 24, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"Shanahan wants him lighter. Listed at 221 last year, Shanahan hopes he reports closer to 210."

Posted by: Diesel44 |

`
Whoa

I remember mentioning this a few times in the past; that i'd like CP to lose 15 lbs.

This is great news Diesel, thanx.

Posted by: Vicc | March 24, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

ORLANDO, Fla.—Veteran cornerback Philip Buchanon is set to visit the Washington Redskins on Monday, according to a statement he made on his verified Twitter account.

Buchanon is a former Oakland Raiders first-round draft pick selected in 2002 out of the University of Miami.

He has recorded 339 tackles and 18 interceptions.

Buchanon has also played for the Houston Texans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Detroit Lions.

Posted by: Ahoff829 | March 24, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Don't tell me about boring...

About two years ago I was watching the news and got the "we interrupt this program to bring you a special report..."

What was it? Nuclear accident?...serial killer?...Nope

The cheyenne city council passed a "big" vote 5 - 3.

It was for an Olive Garden

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 24, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Chambersburg is a truck stop exit, Zero to do.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 12:18 PM

I skydive in Chambersburg at least twice a year.

Posted by: Vicc | March 24, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

John Niyo, of The Detroit News, reports Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said he believes he will have an offer to trade down from the No. 2 overall spot in the NFL Draft. "I feel confident that we'll have an opportunity to move back," said Mayhew, who publicly put the No. 2 pick on the block last month at the NFL Scouting Combine. "Will that be an opportunity that we want to take advantage of? Will it be a situation where we feel we're getting appropriate value? I couldn't answer that question right now."

Posted by: skinfanman | March 24, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 |

`
Whoa

This is great news Diesel, thanx.

Posted by: Vicc | March 24, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Makes sense. When CP was in Denver he was lighter/quicker. CP26 bulked up alot to become the kind of RB suited for Joe's offense and all the between-the-tackle runs.

To his credit, CP sucessfully transformed his body and running style to suit.

My concern is that he's got alot of football wear-tear on him. He can slim down and get lighter again, but will there still be some explosiveness and quickness left in those legs/joints???

Posted by: p1funk | March 24, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Chambersburg is a truck stop exit, Zero to do.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 12:18 PM

I skydive in Chambersburg at least twice a year.

Posted by: Vicc | March 24, 2010 12:35 PM

Unless you like jumping out of a perfectly operating airplane.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

PewterReport.com reports Alabama LB Rolando McClain's NFL Draft stock is in decline, according to a league scout, due to recent developments regarding his Crohn's disease, which was disclosed after he could not finish his Pro Day workout. McClain probably went from a mid first-round draft pick to a late first-round pick to maybe even a second-round selection.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 24, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 24, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

What was it? Nuclear accident?...serial killer?...Nope

The cheyenne city council passed a "big" vote 5 - 3.

It was for an Olive Garden

Posted by: CheyenneWY | March 24, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

On the bright side, serial killers tend to like the Olive Garden.

Posted by: Original_etrod | March 24, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about that..Sweet golf course 15 mins away called Penn National, tho.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 24, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm ready for it though. I've had my fun. I actually enjoy doing nothing now. It's kind of funny but by nothing we really just mean indoor activities. If you're an outdoorsman this is a good place to be. There is plenty of hunting, fishing, Golfing, skiing, rock climbing, spelunking, biking, skydiving, and camping places.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 24, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Jason Reid scooped by Diesel44, lololol

Posted by: Vicc | March 24, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I also moved from MD to PA (near Gettysburg).
I used to go to Carlisle regularly to see camp.

From what I am told, training camp will never again happen at Dickinson College. A few years ago they upgraded all of their field to turf. No real grass left.

Posted by: Maxwell_Smart | March 24, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Jason,
Doesn't Snyder get some rather sizable financial incentives from the county to not hold camp anywhere else? I miss the days of Carlisle and Frostburg, a few days away from Northern Va would be good for the team, and hey, Danny could build a massive hotel in Frostburg and charge fans 150 dollars a night and it would over look the practice field, super bowl trophies in the lobby, oh the possibilities, there could be a 90's retro bar to take fans back to the time the Redskins were a good team

Posted by: fairfaxgoper | March 24, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI |

And I see your point too. I think it has to do with semantics. "Voluntary" attendance at football events means it's not required by the collective bargaining agreement.

And I'm sure borderline players with non-guaranteed contracts view it as far less than "voluntary" when coach says he wants you there.

The trouble is, if the "elites" like Haynesworth blow it off, it sets up a schism between the haves and havenots in the locker room and on the field. And when certain players get special treatment, a wedge is driven.

Oh well, gives us something to hash out while the team is busy not signing free agents or making trades.

Posted by: TheCork | March 24, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Hello,everybody,the good shoping place,the new year approaching, click in. Let's facelift bar!
===== HTTP://loveshopping.us ====

Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33

UGG BOOT $50

Nike shox(R4,NZ,OZ,TL1,TL2,TL3) $35

Handbags(Coach lv fendi d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16

Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30

Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $16

New era cap $15

Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $25

FREE SHIPPING

Posted by: linjian76 | March 24, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

There was talk a while back about the team building an indoor field at Redskins Park. Anything new with that possibility?

Posted by: jwat2410 | March 24, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Don't make much difference where they hold the camps, at least so long as JC17 is taking most of the snaps.

With this consumate loser playing QB, the best the team could ever hope to do would be a 6-10 or 7-9 season.

And for that sort of result, any patch of training ground will do.

I might even suggest the Redskins move their training camp to the local high school field, but also suspect the highschoolers would be more competitive than these so called pros.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 24, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

why!!!!???? oh yeah, danny needs the cash!!!

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | March 24, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork
___________

Posted by: Oogalaboogala | March 24, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________

Funny... They're splitting the camp between California and San Antonio so I'm sure that the heat won't affect them all that much. Not only that, but they practice in the heat before the first game. They'll be fine for the start of the season.

Posted by: arizona4 | March 24, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Is "the weasel" planning to charge admission again like he did in the past? If so, you won't see me or my family there.

Posted by: Davo61 | March 24, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I'd pay to see Timmy Tebow practicing with the first stringers at training camp at Redskins Park

Posted by: coparker5 | March 24, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Carlyse is a no go cause Dickenson College tore up all their grass fields and put in astroturf. Nobody wants to hold training camp on that crap.

Posted by: oddjob1 | March 24, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse