Report: Shanahan summons agent to D.C.

( Updated at 12:37 p.m. )

The Shanahan Watch continues, but maybe not for much longer.

ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting now that the two sides have begun to discuss contract details. Schefter has as close a relationship with Mike Shanahan as anyone in the media, dating back to Schefter's time covering Shanahan's teams in Denver. Schefter, in fact, wrote Shanahan's 2000 book, "Think Like A Champion."
Schefter tweeted this afternoon: "Talks went well enough last night that Mike Shanahan summoned his agent, Sandy Montag, to Washington to negotiate his contract."

Montag is a long-time executive at IMG who has represented John Madden for years. He teamed up with former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer to form the New York-based firm Ari Fleischer Communications.

Newsday's Bob Glauber tweeted that Montag was in Snyder's box for last month's Giants-Redskins game at FedEx Field.

In Ashburn, there has been no word about any press conferences - not for Joe Bugel, not for Shanahan - so far today.

By Rick Maese  |  January 5, 2010; 12:19 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Orakpo finishes 4th in defensive rookie voting
Next: King: What moves will Shanahan make?

Comments

I was looking at our schedule for 2010, and we do play some of the elite teams in the league, like Indy and Minnesota, but mercifully they are at Fed Ex. Also, Brett Favre may retire, which knocks Minnesota out of the ranks of the elite. We play the AFC South, but their two best teams have to come to Fed Ex. We also play the NFC North, but their two best teams have to come to Fed Ex. Our road games are against much lighter competition, like Detroit and St. Louis. Outside the NFC East, all our road games are against teams with a current losing record, except for Tennessee at 8-8.

See the schedule below. What does everyone think?

2010 Redskins Opponents

(11-5) Philadelphia Eagles

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 5, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Let's Win in 2010!!

=o]

Go Skins!

Posted by: SkinMan3 | January 5, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Playoffs?? Playoffs?? YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT THE PLAYOFFS??!!!

Posted by: chevychasepowhatans | January 5, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Sports Guru - predicting future year schedule = power rankings.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 5, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Not a chance I'm thinking playoff push with this team after this season.

I'm figuring improvement but no playoffs next year, with the year after the one to look to for playoffs, if improvement does indeed happen.

I used to examine the schedules closely when they came out, but these days what does it really matter? You never know who is going to be good or really bad, save for maybe Indy, who is always a lock for good.

Since I'm on a negative tilt, there is another way to look at that schedule: the teams we would have a hard time beating take up our home games, while the teams we need to count on beating are on the road, making them more dangerous.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | January 5, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

schedule wins/losses, I should say.

Posted by: Rypien11 | January 5, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 5, 2010 12:23 PM

For the love of all that's good, can we stop playing the Rams, and the Bucs every year..geezz.

Posted by: TWISI | January 5, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we should mention the words "playoffs" for the redskins until the 2011 season.

The only guarantee I think we can make for the 2010 team is that they will be 1000 times more prepared entering games then they were this past year.

Posted by: SkinsFan85 | January 5, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I kinda like that signing Shanahan is taking longer than normal for a Snyder deal. Shows that Snyder isn't able to just throw a bunch of money at Shanny and get subservient compliance. At least I'm imagining (maybe wrongly) that Shanny is making sure he gets all the authority issues nailed down, before he signs... when his bargaining strength is high. If so, this is good because it means more constraints on Snyder.

Posted by: chris_zz | January 5, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"It's all good Cl.....We can rewrite history or let it be....I'd choose to let it be....OLB was the biggest out of the 3 issues...."

Wow who knew 4th's opinion = history....

That sums up so much....

Posted by: chrislarry | January 5, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I was gonna have some girls over... think it's ok to talk about the playoffs?

Posted by: DikShuttle | January 5, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Cl - Don't make get all nerdy on you and go back to the ancient scrolls.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 5, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

why is jason reids name the only one up top there? its one thing to miss jasno because he was a gifted and instinctive blogger; its another to miss him because he was a great & timely beat writer.

Posted by: rooster13 | January 5, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Get er done, mater. I think that a BA/MS combo would be a significant upgrade over VC/JZ (and I do realize the 'duh' aspect of that statement). Would I rather a Cowher or a Grimm? I dunno. Although one of my all time favorite Skins, Grimm is untested as a HC and I am not sure it is something I want to try again anytime soon. Cowher, were he available, would be a better fit for this particular team of individuals, IMO, than Shanny. But again, the Skins are on the verge of a significant upgrade in management.

I would just like to send my thanks out to Coach Buges. He is one of the all time greats and I will be sorry to see him go. But it is a well earned and deserved retirement.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 5, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

FORGET PLAYOFFS - I don't care about playoffs, I want a team I can be proud of again, and that's going to take time.

Redskins nation - let's stop acting like instant gratification jerks - maybe Snyder will get the point that you build with leverage, you don't buy victory.

Posted by: pharrrrtt | January 5, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it's a stretch at all to think that the Redskins will be in the playoffs this time next year.

That being said, I'd love to hear Jim Mora's reaction to our wishful thinking....

"Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game!"

Hopefully our next brain trust will be a little more ambitious with the 2010 Redskins.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | January 5, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Sports_Guru

"See the schedule below. What does everyone think?"

I think 2009 is the season we should have been in the playoffs.

With any kind of careful game managment and scheme work, we should've....wait a minute, what am I saying?

We suck...deal with it.

The AFC South is tougher than what most folks here know.

I think the bears, bucs, and rams will be much better, too.

Shanny and Bruce Bruce need to put together an offense that blocks and can score.

Otherwise, we'll be here next year asking, "Whot happened?"

"Damn, we suck!"

Deal with it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 5, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"Updated at 12:37 p.m."

What is the update??

Posted by: Skins2 | January 5, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to draft for the first time in a long time.

Posted by: kenobill | January 5, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Looking forward to draft for the first time in a long time.

Posted by: kenobill | January 5, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Playoffs next year? With the holes that exist all over that team? No way! And after this year, I don't look at any game against Detroit or St Louis as a gimme.

Can we get rid of all this "Win now" guff please?? Why don't we try building a team that might be able to contend and win for years on end. That statement from Allen yesterday about being "successful immediately" was just pure Snyder chat - and that worries me. Are we just in for more of the same except with different names and faces??

Posted by: tartanskin | January 5, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

we won't get a true direction this group is taking this team until the draft and how they react to whatever comes of the CBA resolution

Posted by: carsonspence | January 5, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"See the schedule below. What does everyone think?"

You are asking what people think about the schedule of a team that won just 4 games, lost to Detroit, Carolina and KC and barely beat StL and TB? By definition, it will be a difficult schedule for the Skins.

Posted by: amaranthpa | January 5, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe,

I know you wanted to see how Tony Pike performed in the Sugar bowl as one of your key players to watch. What did you think?

One person who is going to be a good pick is Joe Haden, guy has some serious potential.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 5, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

(8-8) Tennessee Titans
(1-15) St. Louis Rams
(11-5) Dallas Cowboys
(8-8) New York Giants
(11-5) Philadelphia Eagles

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 5, 2010 12:23 PM

How do you know which AFC South and other NFC 4th place teams we play on the road? Has it already been released? I know the teams we are playing are decided but are the locations too?

Posted by: saltine182 | January 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for Shanny's Burgundy and Orange speech.

Posted by: jnsbear | January 5, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I'll be happy with some wins in the division and wins over Detroit, St. Louis, and Tampa to start. Win in the division and beat the teams you are supposed to beat.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 5, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

REDSKIN "FANS"

FANS: You suck Snyder! Hire a GM

We hire a GM

FANS: You suck Snyder! We don't like the one you hired.

FANS: You hired a coach with no head coaching experience

Skins want to hire Shanahan a proven winner with two SB rings

FANS: He didn't do anything after Elway retired

FANS: You're taking too long to hire the coach. Bring in Russ Grimm

Russ Grimm is not the most sought after assistant

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Chill out ya'll!

Posted by: rickyroge | January 5, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Re-posted for all you horse bangers out there.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 |

I've never banged a horse. Mounted several, but never banged.

League-Source? You're up.

Posted by: TheCork | January 5, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rooster13 |

Excuse me? You're asking US?

Posted by: TheCork | January 5, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

REDSKIN "FANS"

FANS: You suck Snyder! Hire a GM

We hire a GM

FANS: You suck Snyder! We don't like the one you hired.

FANS: You hired a coach with no head coaching experience

Skins want to hire Shanahan a proven winner with two SB rings

FANS: He didn't do anything after Elway retired

FANS: You're taking too long to hire the coach. Bring in Russ Grimm

Russ Grimm is not the most sought after assistant

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Chill out ya'll!

Posted by: rickyroge

good stuff!!

I like having Allen and Shanny, but I hate having a guy as prez/HC. Those are each full time jobs with very different requirements. Because of that, it rarely works.

Thing is, Shanny doesn't need to be team president to have all the influence he needs/wants.

No doubt whatever arrangement will be a great leap forward from the former HC/ExecVP combo, but its upside may be less than it should be.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 5, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chris_zz | January 5, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------

Not only that, this is the time when Bruce Allen needs to establish his role. This is Allen's first deal (not counting checking off the "fire Zorn" note on his day planner), so it's safe to assume he's going to make sure the owner and the new HC (whose bona fides everyone recognizes) are clear on who's driving and who's navigating (since we already know who's paying for the gas).

Posted by: InRealAmerica | January 5, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 5, 2010 12:23 PM

----------

How is that "merciful?"

One of the problems the new HC has to correct is this team's lack of home field advantage.

or should I say Fed EX Field offers no such advantage?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I'll go with what I said yesterday 7-9 or 8-8 as the most realistic

That's assuming we can beat the Bucs, Lions and Rams this year, win a couple of NFC-East games and win a couple from the remaining AFC/NFC matchups.

Also, shouldn't we play Bucs in Tampa this year, we played them in DC last couple of times. I'm bummed.

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 5, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: saltine182 | January 5, 2010 12:48 PM

It is on the future opponents section at redskins.com

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 5, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

REDSKIN "FANS"

FANS: You suck Snyder! Hire a GM

We hire a GM

FANS: You suck Snyder! We don't like the one you hired.

FANS: You hired a coach with no head coaching experience

Skins want to hire Shanahan a proven winner with two SB rings

FANS: He didn't do anything after Elway retired

FANS: You're taking too long to hire the coach. Bring in Russ Grimm

Russ Grimm is not the most sought after assistant

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Chill out ya'll!

Posted by: rickyroge

As much as we go back and forth about JC and CP, this is something that I fully agree with!

Posted by: dcwun | January 5, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I get it.

You meant to say it's merciful for Indy and Minnesota to be playing at Fed Ex Field.

I see.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe,

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 5, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping SFO trades with us to grab this guy Haden. Love to get BOTA at SFO spot plus a 2nd and a 4th.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 5, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Typical, somebody starts talking about playoffs in the redskins offseason. With all the fancy moves the GENIUS is making it's a sure bet the Redskins will be playoff bound, until, of course, the regular season gets underway. The we know the GENIUS for what he is....

Posted by: atidwell | January 5, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

"...see how Tony Pike performed in the Sugar bowl as one of your key players to watch. What did you think?"

I think that if Pike had the blocking and playmakers Tebow did, he'd be a top pick.

If Bruce and Shanny want a quarterback later in round 2, I'd take the 6'6 Pike with is accurate strong arm in a heart beat.

Pike would do well to sit for a year while Campbell aborbed the blows from an improving o-line.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 5, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Let's get this straight:

This year sucked.

Next year will suck.

In three years, we will start to see tangible improvement in this team, provided we bring in players who can play and coaches who can coach.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan summons agent to D.C.... I imagine him leaning back in his chair (say, a cross between a magnificent throne and Captain Kirk's chair from the bridge of the Enterprise) and clapping his hands and pronouncing "bring me my agent!" And then having someone feed him grapes while he attempts to laugh, prevented only by the leathery-orange skin of his face...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 5, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I thought the league schedule rotation was only set through 2009. If the league keeps the same rotation system, then that's the 2010 schedule.

But that is to be determined, I believe.

AFC South is pretty tough, but AFC North, IMO, is tougher.

NFC East is the toughest division in football, at least when the NYG decide to play. Redskins went 0-6 against NFC E, 1-1 against NFC dregs, and 3-5 against the NFC S and AFC W

Posted by: dpc2003 | January 5, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

By the way, BOTA has long arms, good arm punch and leg drive, quick stable feet, and a mean streak warrior spirit.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 5, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

We need to assemble a new OL, and have them gel over the next 16.

Anything short of that qualifies as cart before horse.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 5, 2010 12:23 PM

----------

How is that "merciful?"

or should I say Fed EX Field offers no such advantage?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 12:59 PM

LOL. You cracked me up with that one. I see your point. Sad as it is, we only had one road win. So, given that our other 3 wins were at home, I have to think we are better at home than on the road.

Remember though, this is taking in the assumption that this team will be different next year and possess a winning mindset.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 5, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: saltine182 | January 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the schedule is determined by where you finish in the standings the previous year. They rotate annually which opponent you will play. For example, in 2010 we were scheduled to play @ a NFC West team and home against a NFC South team. This changes annually. The teams are decided on their position in the standings. We ended in 4th place in our division so we play the 4th place teams from NFC South (Tampa)and NFC West (St. Louis).

For us to stop playing these teams, like someone else asked means we have to get our arse out of the divisional cellar.

This is how the NFL has schedule parity. Bad teams play other bad teams to try to get their records closer to .500 mediocrity.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 5, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

*in 2010 we were scheduled

Should say we "are" scheduled

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | January 5, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

>>If Shanny can put together a decent roster and get the players to buy in to his system. We could be looking at a strong playoff push next year.

Are you looking at the same sked I am??!! We'll be lucky to get to 6!

Posted by: dovelevine | January 5, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

and no more finger pointing.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 5, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

What you saw in that game is what would happen to Pike if he was our starting QB. He arguably would have that much time if he was behind the skins line.

I wasnt impressed with him, come to think of it, his stats and play were eerily similar to Campbells. Couldnt make a play when the game was still a game and got his garbage stats well after the game was out of hand.

I will agree for an undefeated team, the talent level on his team was surprisingly sparse. Gilyard was supposed to be the talent, but I believe Haden was blanketing him for most of the game.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | January 5, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | January 5, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 5, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 5, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 5, 2010 1:09 PM

----------

Once more:

This year sucked.

Next year will suck too, regardless of the mindset.

We have to be realistic up here.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

REDSKIN "FANS"

FANS: You suck Snyder! Hire a GM

We hire a GM

FANS: You suck Snyder! We don't like the one you hired.

FANS: You hired a coach with no head coaching experience

Skins want to hire Shanahan a proven winner with two SB rings

FANS: He didn't do anything after Elway retired

FANS: You're taking too long to hire the coach. Bring in Russ Grimm

Russ Grimm is not the most sought after assistant

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Chill out ya'll!

Posted by: rickyroge | January 5, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Great Post....love it

Posted by: iH8dallas | January 5, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

*points finger at chia*

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 5, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

gweez, can you paraphrase for me?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 5, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Yeah... Lesser teams like Detroit ( Who we lost to ) St. Louis who we damn near lost to... Welcome to 6 and 10 for a few years... btw is this the same Mike Shannnegin who drafted the best RB of all time Maurice Clarette? Wow... Talk about someone who finally recognizes talent! I heard Elway is ready and TD are ready to come out of retirement. We all know how well MS did after those 2 left the Broncos!

Posted by: rlomax67 | January 5, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Don't fall for The Danny's tricks hamsters!

Until we beat the Giants, Cowboys, and Eagles at home in the same season, nothing has changed.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

We have to be realistic up here.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 1:14

As realistic as bean sprouts in place of animal fur on a terra cotta body?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 5, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I just realized that Mike Shanahan's agent is my childhood friend from New Jersey! Sandy Montag and I grew up together in Tenafly and went to school together since elementary school. It's great to see that he has become such a success.

Posted by: andrewgerst@hotmail.com | January 5, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Beantown,

Bring in son to develop a qb. Doesn't see him keeping Campbell. Perhaps Bradford or getting a lineman then picking up Colt McCoy or Zac Robinson

Try to get another year out of CP. Slashing style, history yada yada.

Look for a DC to give 3-4 a shot.

Expect the unexpected. Shanny doesn't go with conventional wisdom or follow the predictions of draftniks.

Posted by: Gweez | January 5, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps at long last the Redskins can stop being an afterthought in the NFC East.

This is a division set to go through transition as McNabb is 33 years old and the Giants are aging in several key areas including the OL and need to rebuild their secondary.

With some effective management the Redskins could be back to being competitive in the NFC East in a shorter time period than many believe.

An outstanding offseason in 2010 including the draft and getting some younger players on the team to really step up are requirements for this to happen.

But let's not forget that Parcells took a dispirited 1-15 team under Cam Cameron and got 11 wins out of it the very first year.

Posted by: leopard09 | January 5, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Guru:

Why so optimistic?

Where's the gloom and doom?

What happened?

A new lady in your life? Or did the old one come back for the umpteenth time?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gweez | January 5, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

So Shanahan can get new players. And coaches. Like Gibbs II did. But Zorn had to coach Gibbs players, same ones Gibbs lost with (see his overall record in the 2000's). Zorn had to lose (and get blamed) for coaching Gibbs II's QB (that also came with 3 less picks that Gibbs gave away), Gibbs RB (that also came with a future Hall of Fame CB + a pick) that affected pass coverage since Champ was in Colorado, Gibbs kicker Suisham, Gibbs TE, Gibbs two 5'0 WR's, Gibbs safety that is always chasing a WR downfield (or Dallas TE), Gibbs line coach, Dan's consultant, etc...

But Mike gets to come in a start fresh?
Wow. Then if he wins (with HIS players), he's a savior. If he loses, its Dan's fault as Dan seeks coach #8.

The problem around here is the quick fix mentality of the fans, owner, coaches, etc... When Jimmy Johnson took over Dallas in 1989, he KNEW he wouldn't win for a few years at best. But HE BUILT to win later, and boy - did they. Here's its what coach, 60 yr old player has-been, or 88 yr old bingo caller can we bring in to win now.

No one

Posted by: kedavis | January 5, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Sports_Guru your an F'ing idiot!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: wstclair | January 5, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: andrewgerst@hotmail.com | January 5, 2010 1:18 PM

----------

Somebody's email is about to blow up.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: andrewgerst@hotmail.com

going to ask for Shanny's email address?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 5, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

It is ALL about how you do in the divisional games. I've never been satisfied that anyone other than Gibbs really understood this. Gibbs knew that in order to win, he needed a team that could beat NY, Philly and Dallas. That was the dominant thought process that dictated what the Skins did in the draft, who they traded for, and the offensive and defensive schemes they implemented.

Other than the Gibbs teams, no Redskin team in 30 years has consistently been competitive in the division. The results are in. Yes, Bruce Allen needs to examine every inch of the Redskins franchise. But he also needs to examine every inch of our divisional foes too, cuz if you don't beat them, you ain't going anywhere.

Posted by: mbcnewspaper | January 5, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I have a couple of friends who are pretty well-connected with the ND Board of Trustees. They heard that at one point during ND's brief coach search all the ND parties thought they had a "done deal" with Bob Stoops. Then he called his agent...

So let's not count those proverbial eggs just yet.

Posted by: Cossackathon | January 5, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

expecting a Parcellsian one year turn around is, ahem, not very realistic.

I don't care who we draft or who the coach is.

This thing is going to take some time.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | January 5, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait for Shanny's Burgundy and Orange speech. = Sangria?

Posted by: Keyskonnection | January 5, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

my sisters, plumbers, wifes hairdressers, boyfriends, brothers uncle, played against shanny in high school, and his kids played against Darnell Dockett and someone else, and they've confirmed to me that this is a done deal.....

look for PFT to run with this next....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 5, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | January 5, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

So much for this deal having been worked out a month ago. It sounds like the talks have just begun. Prediction: Shanny isn't the team's next coach....

Posted by: randysbailin | January 5, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

what the F is "beeps"? been reading these and posting on here for a while and I want to know what that is supposed to mean.

Posted by: FedorEm | January 5, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: leopard09

Leopard, good points. I thought about doing a ZEKE'S UNIQUE on this transition. The Skins will change the entire coaching staff this offseason. The jints and iggles both had new defensive coordinators this year. Can't see coughlin lasting much longer. Surprised Reid got extended, he's a very good coach, but a decade in philly -- that'd burnout just about anyone. Of note, the iggles offense made a considerable transitioned this season. The carousel always moves pretty quickly in dallas, even if they'd be better letting the current team evolve.

Lots of movement in this division -- on a number of fronts.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 5, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Not sure who this diesel_skins dude is but I would like to state for the record that I am pro Shannahan (s).

I would also like to take this time to say I fully endorse rickyroge's latest post.

Spiller > McCluster

Both are studs, both play bigger than their size. Both give us the speed we lack and would upgrade special teams and address lack of big plays.

Spiller = Chris Johnson

McCluster = Desean Jackson (McC played wr and they need to get him more touches so they move him to RB. Most of his Yds in the bowl game he dominated came between the tackles)

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 5, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

FedOrEm, "beeps" or "beep beep" is a running joke about how since a lot of us have a tendency to refresh the conversation in the current thread, so we need an alert when a new thread is up so we can keep following/participating in the conversation. It's a service to our blog community brethren and sistern.

Hence

* beep beep *

new post

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 5, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | January 5, 2010 12:23 PM
*******************************************

That schedule has 10 losses written all over it.

Posted by: kingsra | January 5, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Sports_Guru:

WISHFUL THINKING, that's what I think. We STINK and you are talking strong playoff push?

Brett Favre is not retiring, unless he wins the SB.

Who cares if we draw Indy, Minn, etc at home.Did you see what the G-men did to us at home.

Granted, Zorn did not discipline, etc but until we know more about our o-line, etc, no one should be talking playoffs quite yet.

Posted by: berou | January 5, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

RUSS Grimm Should Be the Next coach of the Redskins. Shannahan was a good coach with Elway, not so much without him. Grimm is a part of the tradition here and he has 1 ring as an assistant and and two other trips to the big show.

Posted by: nicksinister | January 5, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Redskin fans just never learn. Every time Snyder goes and hires a big-name coach, you guys start talking playoffs. And every time Snyder hamstrings said big-name coach to the point of failure. Will you never learn to quit counting your chicks before they hatch? Until then, enjoy the NFC-East Basement.

Posted by: JCM-51 | January 5, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

OK I'll step away from the revolution for a moment and admit that things are shaping up much better than the last two off seasons.

1. No Vinny Cerrato. His truly inspiring and great awfulness cannot be overstated. God, what an idiot!

2. No Zorn. TERRIBLE head coach. Enough said.

3. Bruce Allen seems like an actual NFL executive. Although I'm old enough to have watched Super Bowl VII, I don't give a fuque about his connection to that or any of the legacy junk Dan Snyder seems to think we all care about so much.

4. Assuming Shanahan comes here I certainly hope no one here wets themselves with excitement.

Why? One, we don't know who is actually going to make final decisons about what players to sign and we don't know how Snyder fits in the new system. If it looks good and sounds good I will sound a note of cautious optimism.

But all I really feel like saying right now is -- remember Marty.

Posted by: Pepper5 | January 5, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I think steps are being taken which could result in improvement, but the needs are pretty deep. At least Cerrato is gone - having said that, I'm hopeful, but we'll have to see what direction the rebuilding may take. If they go and do something stupid like ignoring the O-Line again, I don't see anything different. We need to build the foundation and take care of those who play for the game, not the fame. If we get some solid O-Line players, a quick and powerful running back, some safeties who can cover, a true shut down corner - I think those are foundation players that enable you to win and improve - think foundation, then let's look at the schedule. Way too early to say what's going to happen. At first glance last year - this past season should have produced more wins too and look how that turned out.

Posted by: whelms | January 5, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

What they need:

1. A young upstart coach, not another retread (see Gibbs, Spurrier, Marty) with a 1988 playbook and theory. As much as I think the world of Jimmy Johnson for arranging a team that won as many Lombardi trophies as Gibbs did in 1/2 the time, I would not hire him today in his 60's. Its a young man's game, coaches too.

2. Let Jason go. Not because he can't play, but because you've beaten him down so much its just time to part ways.

3. Build through the draft. Do not sign ONE free agent, or someones trash (Deion, Bruce, Archuleta, Jason, Fat Albert, Randle El, Brandon Lloyd, etc.). There's a reason they're available. And dumb Dan usually trades for the trash.

4. Build an O line (see #3 above)

5. Let everyone go that can be let go that's over 27. Everybody that wants out, or whose contact is up.

6. Commit to winning in say 3-4 years, and stop the George Allen future is now crap. What did George actually win? For all of his verbal battles that he started with Tom Landry, Tom won 2 Lombardi trophies in 5 SB's. George lost his only attempt, thus won what?

And JCM-51 said it best.
The fans here are toooo funny, like a kid mad at his parents until December 25th when they get a new toy, which makes them happy ... until the toy breaks in 2 weeks.
LOL

Mark this down:
1. They will not go 0-6 in the 2010 NFC East

2. But will not again win it

3. Nor make the playoffs

4. Nor win another Lombardi trophy until Shanahan, unless he's bringing a 30 year old Elway with him.

Posted by: kedavis | January 5, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Playoffs?! You Redskins fans are adorable. The last two minutes of football your team has played included an offsides penalty that forced a field goal attempt, letting a second-string offense drive the field and hit a W I D E open player in the end zone to take the lead, and throwing the last second hail mary out of bounds to end the game. But the next time they take the field, they will be playoff contenders? You guys are sick.

Posted by: justanotherguy | January 5, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: justanotherguy | January 5, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

THANK YOU SIR! YOU DO BRING SANITY TO THESE MENTAL, SENILE FANS!

Posted by: Incognito00 | January 5, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Calm down, folks. I swear, every year the Redskins make one big, splashy move (sign Deion Sanders, resurrect Joe Gibbs, sign Jason Taylor, sign Fat Albert, etc) and everybody starts talking about the playoffs. By draft day, everybody will be speculating who the Skins will face in the SuperBowl. (Oops. You can't say "SuperBowl" without paying a licensing fee. I meant to say, "the big game.") Of course, then the season actually starts and reality quickly sinks in: this organization is more dysfunctional than the Osbournes and will continue to be so as long as Little Boots is the owner.

Let's get real: new coach with an offensive scheme that may or may not fit the roster he's got (remember Schottenheimer and Jeff George? How about Steve Spurrier and the Fun and Gun?). No salary cap; that will limit the free agents available. More holes in the roster than draft picks in the early rounds...and a lame duck quarterback to top it all off.

I predict the Redskins will go no better than 6-10.

Posted by: hisroc | January 5, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I predict the Redskins will go no better than 6-10.

Posted by: hisroc | January 5, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

ANOTHER SANE IMPARTIAL POSTER, THANK YOU. FICKLE FAN CAN YOU READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS MAN IS SAYING...
FAILURE IS A FACT FOR YOU SKIN FANS..SHANNANNA IS NOT THE ANSWER SORRY...MORE YEARS OF MISERY FOR DEFAMING THE NAME REDSKIN...THIS ORG. IS CURSED BRO

Posted by: Incognito00 | January 5, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Remember when this organization hired Henry Ellard, Trung Canidate, Fryer, Reid... ha ha ha, ho, ho ,ho, he , he, he hillarious

Posted by: Incognito00 | January 5, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Shanny, don't do it until after the playoffs. If the Cowboys lose on the weekend,that job will be open too. Two things are clear-nobody wants the Bills job and everyone wants the Cowboys job. Don't mess with Danny and his new puppet.

Posted by: redskins5 | January 5, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

If that really is the schedule, it is a hard schedule -

Posted by: 37thand0street | January 5, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

With no salary cap in the NFL next season....the new Redskins management (Shanahan, Allen & Snyder) will quickly be exposed as complete idiots...after the Redskins outspend every other NFL team by $38M (on over priced free agents like Haynesworth) and then still fail to win 7 games next season.

Posted by: jrebstock | January 5, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Incognito00,

The only curse on the Redskins is a billionaire with a malignant dwarf complex. This organization has made five Super Bowl appearances with the same name but a different owner.

Take all that native American curse crap and put it where the sun never shines.

Posted by: hisroc | January 5, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I always hear stuff about Dan Snyder and how he's the worst owner ever and he needs to sell the team etc but you know I actually think he's a business genius. Whenever they they lose he does the same thing. I read that the redskins are the second most profitable team in the league right behind the cowboys. Despite running through coaches and quarterbacks like dirty underwear. That's gotta count for something right? Hell its looking like the off-season is where all the action is when it comes to the Redskins. This is all by design people, absolute genius.

Posted by: feel4daskinsfan | January 5, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

That is an incredibly hard schedule - I don't know how they came up with the home/away split, but that is brutal as well.

I know the NFL has a rotation - but this is horrible.

The present rotation is much worse, with too many imbalances, compared to the old system - I support going back to 3 division in each Conference with one wildcard.

Posted by: 37thand0street | January 5, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I like the "potential" of next year's schedule....people get foggy glasses bc they think we are as bad as a 4-11 record reads, BUT, name 1 QB in the NFL who would take such a pounding and STILL stand in there? CORRECT, NOT 1! So, putting that aside, the Skins were 6-2 when Campbell wasn't pounded into the turf with every dropback, so for those who say he should go, there is only a handful of NFL QB's today I would take in his place and he is definately in the Top 1/3 of the NFL, so QB is NOT our issue.....

As for playign TB, St. Louis, Detroit every year, well, if we stop finsihing LASt or next to last in the NFC east, we would play bettr opponents.....our potential schedule eahc year is determined by where the team finishes i nthe Division and we haven't finsihed i nthe top in a few years, so we can't expect to play any other teams when the schedule needs to fill in 2 teams.....
Go Skins, it is ashame it took Dan Snyder 11yrs to figure out he is NOT a football "GOD" nor does he even remotely haeva football MIND....so, for him, hopefully the Redskin BRAND is strong enough to withstand such a dismal 11yrs....funnny, look at Norv Turners record of 17-12 under Snyder...the ONLY winning record under Snyders ownership (above .500) and then Snyder THOUGHT he was SAMRTER than he really is in a Football sense of the word...and hence the past 9yrs of BS (not counting Gibbs) bc Gibbs had to clean up a "mess" before he could do his thing, which 2 Playoof appreances, proves it can be done.....glad Gibbs came bac kt ogive us a lttile flame one more time!

Go Skins, gald Allen is involved, anything is better than the past 11yrs!

Posted by: talbottj | January 5, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

feel4daskinsfan,

I have long suspected that what you suggest is true. Just too much hoopla from the Skins front office just as the season ticket renewal packages are going out. I would not argue for a minute that Snyder is a crafty businessman. Who else could sue his own customers and still keep them coming back for more?

As an NFL owner, however, he sucks. When you have his kind of money and an inflamed ego to match it, you can screw up a professional franchise regardless of your best intentions.

Posted by: hisroc | January 5, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coastallp74 | January 5, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Redskins' fans are expecting Shanny to do what has not been done in almost 2 decades.

First, Gibbs in his final season took the skins to the playoffs. He steps aside, they hire Zorn, and let Greg Williams go.
Greg Williams goes to Jacksonville, Jaqs make the playoffs, Greg leaves goto the Saints, Jaqs did not make the playoffs. Saints hire Greg Williams, Saints in the playoffs and having an awesome season. People fail to see the consistency with Greg Williams. Blatche takes over a Greg Williams defensive philosphy, skins top ranking defense, yet no playoffs.

What I am saying folks, the Skins had the best candidate in their grasp and they let him go. I hope Greg gets hired as a coach somewhere b/c its long overdue.

I like Shannahan but he reminds me a lot like Marty and Marty was the last best coach the skins had prior to Gibbs second stint.

Posted by: Sincear2021 | January 5, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey JReid, can you find out if there's any chance Shanahan retains Bugel? Is that the reason for the delayed announcements?

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | January 5, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I wish Allen would have final say on all matters. He can trust his scouts and take Shan's opinions but it the GM should be in charge. Most experts have said that the coach shouldnt also be selecting players, wearing both hats is too much.

I want to see who the Coord's will be. If it is Kyle Shanahan and Mike Zimmer (will have to wait on that one) I would be very pumped, they are great coordinators.

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | January 5, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

coastallp74 said
"It makes the whole season a sucess now that we have a GM, and an experienced coach, but jeez people, cool the play-talk. I'm an optimist, but not an idiot."

You've always had a GM, just with different job titles. Gibbs II was GM and Head Coach, with a different title. The same GM that brought in Archeleta, Landry, Portis, Randle-El, Moss, Suisham, etc...

And Vinny was also GM, with a different title. Just not successful (both) like GM/Coach Jimmy Johnson in Dallas.

Posted by: kedavis | January 5, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

37thand0street CLEARLY IS THE ONLY SOUND MINDED, NON BITTER, REALISTIC AND RATIOANL PERSON ON HERE....HANDS DOWN! I ASSUME ALL OF THE CAMPBELL HATERS ON HERE EXPECT A SYSTEM QB FROM THE WAC CONF OR A ROOKIE QB IN A YEAR OF WEAK PROSPECTS CAN OUTPLAY AN EXPERIENCED, STRONG ARMED, HIGH CHARACTER GUY THAT BY THE WAY DOES PRODUCE WHEN HE HAS PROTECTION. THESE RESPONSES SOUND LIKE EMOTIONAL ONES, NOT RATIONAL ONES...LIKE, LOVE HIM OR HATE HIM IF U WANT, JC IS THE BEST OPTION FOR 2010, AND IS BETTER THAN SOME FANS CREDIT HIM FOR...IRONICALLY, SOME ACTUAL FOOTBALL PEOPLE AGREE WITH ME, BUT I GUESS THEY'RE LOST IN THE SAUCE TOO HUH? U WANT SOMEONE OTHER THAN JC? FINE, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT, FORGET IT WASN'T THE O-LINE, FORGET IT WASN'T CP, OR OFTEN INJURED RECIEVERS/NON-PRODUCTIVE RECIEVERS, OR AN INEXPERIENCED HC, TEAM PRES, AND OWNER....JC PUT UP 3600 YARDS FOLKS...COMPLETED 64% OF THEM. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM GO TO ANOTHER TEAM AND SUCCEED WHILE WE CONTINUE TO SUCK...WHATCHA GONNA SAY THEN? WHO'S TO BLAME THEN? I HOPE HE GETS A RING ELSEWHERE AND LAUGHS ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK. DO WE HAVE HOLES TO FILL? YES! MANY MORE PRESSING NEEDS THAN QB. WHO DO U GUYS WANT? PEYTON? CAUSE EVEN HE WOULD SUCK BEHIND OUR O-LINE, OR PERHAPS U WANT THE OTHER JC UNDER CENTER...YES, THAT'S THE TICKET, U WANT THE OTHER JC BECAUSE AT LEAST HE CAN PERFORM MIRACLES WITH THE OUR POROUS OFFENSE LOL!SERIOUSLY, U GUYS MAYBE SHOULD GET UR WISH AND OWN WHAT U DESERVE WHEN IT HAPPENS...ANOTHER 5 YRS OF SUCKEDOM.

Posted by: dreds_20019 | January 5, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

37thand0street CLEARLY IS THE ONLY SOUND MINDED, NON BITTER, REALISTIC AND RATIOANL PERSON ON HERE....HANDS DOWN! I ASSUME ALL OF THE CAMPBELL HATERS ON HERE EXPECT A SYSTEM QB FROM THE WAC CONF OR A ROOKIE QB IN A YEAR OF WEAK PROSPECTS CAN OUTPLAY AN EXPERIENCED, STRONG ARMED, HIGH CHARACTER GUY THAT BY THE WAY DOES PRODUCE WHEN HE HAS PROTECTION. THESE RESPONSES SOUND LIKE EMOTIONAL ONES, NOT RATIONAL ONES...LIKE, LOVE HIM OR HATE HIM IF U WANT, JC IS THE BEST OPTION FOR 2010, AND IS BETTER THAN SOME FANS CREDIT HIM FOR...IRONICALLY, SOME ACTUAL FOOTBALL PEOPLE AGREE WITH ME, BUT I GUESS THEY'RE LOST IN THE SAUCE TOO HUH? U WANT SOMEONE OTHER THAN JC? FINE, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT, FORGET IT WASN'T THE O-LINE, FORGET IT WASN'T CP, OR OFTEN INJURED RECIEVERS/NON-PRODUCTIVE RECIEVERS, OR AN INEXPERIENCED HC, TEAM PRES, AND OWNER....JC PUT UP 3600 YARDS FOLKS...COMPLETED 64% OF THEM. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HIM GO TO ANOTHER TEAM AND SUCCEED WHILE WE CONTINUE TO SUCK...WHATCHA GONNA SAY THEN? WHO'S TO BLAME THEN? I HOPE HE GETS A RING ELSEWHERE AND LAUGHS ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK. DO WE HAVE HOLES TO FILL? YES! MANY MORE PRESSING NEEDS THAN QB. WHO DO U GUYS WANT? PEYTON? CAUSE EVEN HE WOULD SUCK BEHIND OUR O-LINE, OR PERHAPS U WANT THE OTHER JC UNDER CENTER...YES, THAT'S THE TICKET, U WANT THE OTHER JC BECAUSE AT LEAST HE CAN PERFORM MIRACLES WITH OUR POROUS OFFENSE LOL!SERIOUSLY, U GUYS MAYBE SHOULD GET UR WISH AND OWN WHAT U DESERVE WHEN IT HAPPENS...ANOTHER 5 YRS OF SUCKEDOM.

Posted by: dreds_20019 | January 5, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse