Shanahan denies any wrongdoing in trades

Though the NFL Players Association is reportedly looking into a pair of trades between the Redskins and the St. Louis Rams, Redskins' Coach Mike Shanahan denied any wrongdoing or rule-bending on Monday.

In separate moves, the Redskins and Rams swapped 2010 draft picks -- tight end Dennis Morris and linebacker Hall Davis -- and each player was then cut by his new team. The trades caught the attention of the union because it appeared to some that the Redskins and Rams might have been trying to circumvent a rule that would pay out money to the cut players.

In an uncapped year, if a rookie is cut by the team that drafted him, the team must pay 85 percent of his first-year minimum-wage $310,000 salary to a special pool that is then distributed to rookies at the end of the season. By trading the players to another team and then releasing them, neither team is on the hook for that money. The Redskins released Davis after only one practice, and Morris was released by the Rams last Saturday.

On Monday, Shanahan denied that the move was made for financial reasons and said his interest in Davis was sincere.

"First of all, he was a guy that we had that was a draftable grade," Shanahan said. "So we went out and we worked him out, one on one, then we had a full practice and then we had to make a decision. And at that position we had a little depth. But we had good grades on him, so no that wasn't at all the case."

By Paul Tenorio  |  September 6, 2010; 8:59 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan: McNabb will start, Haynesworth 'getting better'
Next: Logan Paulsen survived cut day -- barely

Comments

Surprised that AH was not mentioned on this post!!

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | September 6, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Shanahan spoke a bit more in depth regarding Haynesworth, though he did not give any indication about what the defensive tackle's role might be on Sunday night.

AH is in much better physical (and fiscal) shape than he was a year ago when Z-bird was HC. So he has the potential to do alot of Dallas damage if he goes all out and gives max effort. But if he does and then MS says something like "see, when you get a dude in good physical shape he will play like a champ", the implication that he pushed AH's buttons and was having the last word would really cheese AH off. Of course MS doesn't have to say that, does he? I think he is learning choose his words better when he talks about AH.

Posted by: TLoad | September 6, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

What the Union needs to also look into is how a useless mass of fat cells can fool an entire franchise into paying him $100 mil, while hardworking, muscle-containing players are cut with no compensation.

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | September 6, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

No more scholarships for the University of Ashburn.

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 6, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Mock draft updates....
All the mocks I've seen have us taking 4 different people, either mark ingram, julio jones or an OLB opposite orakpo
Thoughts????
I say sign jackson either via trade or sign him in FA then draft ingram
Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 6, 2010 9:39 PM

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 6, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

with Dook and GT on your resume you'd be a shoo in. Send me your resume and I'll proof read it.

To be honest I very rarely read the posts, The next time news is broken on RI will be the first. I come here to chat with the ladies. How you doing?

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 6, 2010 9:37 PM

Ha-ha. I went to Duke and Georgia Tech. My starting salary when I graduated in 1993 was higher than the highest salary today at the Washington Post. Those jobs only appeal to "liberal arts" types.

You chatting up the girlz -- how'd that work out the other night with your latest hawtie, Rachel? She probably walked out when you told her you were a Terp.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 6, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts????

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 6, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Too early to discuss. Let's see what players step up for the Skins this year.

Posted by: TWISI | September 6, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Pay no attention to Mack. If he actually had a thought go through his head, it'd be the quickest trip in America.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | September 6, 2010 7:51 PM |

Does that mean the dude is a "quick thinker"?

A businessman boards a flight and is lucky enough to be seated next to an absolutely gorgeous woman. They exchange brief hellos and he notices she is reading a manual about sexual statistics.

He asks her about it and she replies, "This is a very interesting book about sexual statistics. It identifies that Native Americans have the longest average penis and Polish men have the biggest average diameter. By the way, my name is Jill. What's yours?"

He coolly replies, "Tonto Kowalski, nice to meet you."

Posted by: TLoad | September 6, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Does the Pope sh!T in the woods?

It's still early but Boise appears to be more talented. Ryan Williams is the best player on the field and he's a non factor.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 6, 2010 9:28 PM

Thoughts on Kellan Moore? Seems heady but his arm strength doesn't look NFL caliber to me.

Posted by: TWISI | September 6, 2010 9:32 PM

Love him as a college QB. He's a winner (25-2 after tonight's loss) but he's short (barely 6'), slight frame (170 lbs), and has a below average arm. He's a better prospect than Colt Brennan but then again, who isn't.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 6, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | September 6, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

DUDES!!!! who's that chick that was just on ESPN???!!!! the brunette! i shall call her brownie! i'm watching the game on my laptop...

Posted by: dealer1 | September 6, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

dealer!

I was taking out the trash, who did I miss?

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 6, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1 | September 6, 2010 9:52 PM

His name is Jesse Palmer.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 6, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | September 6, 2010 9:44 PM |

Duke = poor man's Stanford or Harvard
GT = poor man's MIT or Cal Tech

Posted by: TLoad | September 6, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I love the new Mercedes-Benz ads.

I was driving the babysitter home. I had no idea I was going 700mph in the wrong lane with my right turn signal on.

Thank F for the car!

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 6, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Our 2nd next yr for jackson

N our first for mark ingram

Rebuild on offense complete, one more yr....

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 6, 2010 9:58 PM | Report abuse

smack, worried about sunday night and this year in general? or are you like how most of us were last year when snyder kept dumb and stupid for another year. because you too know you can't win with doughboy.

Posted by: dealer1 | September 6, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I think it would be advantageous for the union to paint the Redskins front office as someone trying to put one over on the players. The Haynesworth situation has hurt them and I am just wondering if this somehow isn't some form of retaliation.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 6, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Duke = poor man's Stanford or Harvard
GT = poor man's MIT or Cal Tech

Posted by: TLoad | September 6, 2010 9:58 PM

Duke/GT Graduates = rich men

Posted by: beep-beep | September 6, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Does that mean the dude is a "quick thinker"?

Posted by: TLoad | September 6, 2010 9:50 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Negative.
The dud typically posts generic one liners and even that seems too tremendous a task to complete expediently. Go back and read the last thread at 9:01 if you want proof. Sheeeeet, the last time I cooked his b i t c h a s s it took him days to respond.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | September 6, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

LMGO deez! naa man she was cute. need to find out who she is. will post when i do. again i'm watching it on espn3.com?!?!

Posted by: dealer1 | September 6, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Duke = poor man's Stanford or Harvard
GT = poor man's MIT or Cal Tech

Posted by: TLoad | September 6, 2010 9:58 PM

Still far better than what Maryland grades out at...or most other schools in the country for that matter.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 6, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dealer1

I'm missing you less and less.

Uhh, the latter?

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 6, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Duke = poor man's Stanford or Harvard
GT = poor man's MIT or Cal Tech

Posted by: TLoad | September 6, 2010 9:58 PM

Maybe TLoad could share where he matriculated.

I do find it funny btw, but unless you went to an Ivy League school followed by a top 10 Masters program, you might want to remain silent.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 6, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

i think it was adriana monsalve. wow! hola!

Posted by: dealer1 | September 6, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Pretty funny to refer to Duke as "Poor Man's" anything. With that tuition, you don't see many poor men. (I had a free ride at Duke and left the school with more money in the bank than when I entered.)

More accurate would be "poor student's" Harvard or Stanford. Lot of kids at Duke who got rejected by Harvard or Stanford. Not many at Harvard or Stanford who were rejected by Duke.

Posted by: beep-beep | September 6, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 6, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Probably not a whole lot of dust on it I'd bet.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 6, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

No Houshmandzadeh means Joey Galloway should start for Redskins

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 6, 2010 10:01 PM ET

It's hard for the Redskins to miss a player they never had, but losing out on T.J. Houshmandzadeh to the NFL team slightly to the north of Washington D.C. has to be frustrating.

Housh was the rare September pickup that could have improved the Redskins roster immediately. It's not like he would have been in the way of young players developing; the expected starter across from Santana Moss on Sunday is 38-year-old Joey Galloway.

It's hard to overstate how surprising this is. Galloway was an unmitigated bust in New England last season, and sat "on the street" for a few months last season after unsuccessful tryouts before finishing the year with the Steelers. He has 20 catches in the last two seasons combined.

When Galloway signed in Washington -- they also picked up other veterans Mike Furrey and Bobby Wade -- he looked unlikely to make the team. To put it another way: It would be a very bad sign for the young Redskins receivers if he made the team.

Now Galloway is not only the team, he's expected to start.

This isn't a team rebuilding. The Redskins have only two draft picks on their 53-man roster. Much like the Joe Gibbs 2.0 version Redskins, it's an aging, hodge-podge roster hoping for 9-7 or 10-6 and a Wild Card loss before the bottom falls out again.

If the Redskins are going to sell out to win now, they should at least do it with better players.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 6, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Tech is an extra point away from its first lead.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 6, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Ok Ryan Williams heard me...He now has 2 rushing TDs and 1 receiving.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 6, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

It was special teams that got 'em in the hole.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 6, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I know this may sound strange, since I'm a UVa man who lives in the Pacific Northwest and has a weakness for underdogs and outsiders and blue turf, but I'm rooting for Tech in this one.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 6, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

...Aaand just that quickly, the Hokies are down again.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 6, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

i'm so rooting for boise. just love the 5 guys fries! go boise 5 guys fries!

Posted by: dealer1 | September 6, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 6, 2010 10:24 PM

and on cue...TD Boise.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 6, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 6, 2010 10:24 PM

This is what happens when a Wahoo guy moves to Portland and drinks bottled water and eats organic food. Sad, isn't it?

Posted by: beep-beep | September 6, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

This is a really good game. We've had a 17 point comeback and two lead changes.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 6, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

nate, c'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!! thomas jefferson just turned in his grave or whereever he is (didn't they dig him out to do dna test on him?)

Posted by: dealer1 | September 6, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Another TD, another lead change.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 6, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

damn! my boise fries are down again on a 4th and a 5 play!

btw...watch boise's receivers leave the huddle early on a running play. wonder if VT staff has picked up on that...

Posted by: dealer1 | September 6, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Ninja Turtles 27 Smurfs 26

Posted by: SMACK1 | September 6, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut from here on out vis-a-vis this here game.

Not that I believe in jinxes or anything, but, you know, better safe than sorry.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 6, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

And these uniforms are horrific. Both teams. Ugh.

Maybe I could head over to Nike's HQ in the Portland suburbs and have a talk with someone.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 6, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

boise jet blue potatoe chips

Posted by: dealer1 | September 6, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Not all the food out here is organic, beeps. Voodoo Donuts, for example.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 6, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

btw OUR stadium looks very modern and very collegiate.

Posted by: dealer1 | September 6, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

skinshaveaGM love the way you're decorating your posts. The plus signs really pop! (++++++++) Very fancy!

Posted by: mack1 | September 6, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

ugh! i'm going to stop watching it. good night c ya in 5 days and 20 hours...

Posted by: dealer1 | September 6, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Tyrod Taylor is his own best O-lineman. He should have been sacked 20 times this game. My goodness.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | September 6, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Florio's an idiot.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 6, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Florio's an idiot.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 6, 2010 11:27 PM

Nah, he provides a website that is the Nat'l enquirer of football. I like it but anybody with a brain would take it with a grain of salt.

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 6, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Florio's an idiot.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 6, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

This is the advantage of being in the last timezone.

I'm always awake when late night breaking news hits the tape.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 7, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

By Paul Tenorio | September 6, 2010; 8:59 PM ET

Two things.
1. Shanahan is backed up by their known need for LBs in the new Defense. Redsksins added another LB to the last Psqaud slot. There is no there there.

2. Wapo is single handedly deflecting Shanny's ire from AH. I'm sure "sources" in AH camp appreciate it.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 7, 2010 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Florio's an idiot.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 6, 2010 11:27 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 6, 2010 11:38 PM | Report

It's not his website that makes him an idiot, it's his BS opinions.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 7, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

One thing I've learned about Shanahan since he became HC is thet he is all about the smoke and mirrors. You can not take anything he says or releases to the press at face value. Hell, I don't think that half of his players knew exactly where they stood with him untill the cuts were announced. The training camp depth charts bore no relation to reality. He gives just enough truth for you to know that it's not all subterfuge, but which is which can be hard to tell. Both the offense and defense were beyond vanilla during the pre-season. They contained no natural or artificial flavorings or colorings. It's all designed to not give opposing teams anything that they can effectively use to predict what's going to happen once the real season starts. This is what a skilled tactician does, and is one of the reasons he has been a sucessful head coach. We'll get used to it. It's just a shock to our systems after the way too candid and straightforward Zorn.

Posted by: kaasmaster | September 7, 2010 1:07 AM | Report abuse

I would not be suprised if Reid's "team sources" were instructed by Shanahan to give him false and misleading information, knowing that Reid is a tool and will print any unsubstanciated rumors he hears from a "team source".

Although, as bad as Reid can be, it could be worse. At least we don't have Florio running Redskins Insider.

Posted by: kaasmaster | September 7, 2010 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Kaas...

Co sign!!!! Were all blind to his genius.....

I stated earlier his sneakyness in getting mcnabb

Everyone thought kolb or vick were on the block

I also believe we were the unnamed team after jackson

As I previously stated the contract would not be an issue

BA is a contract master n would make a great deal

He also gets creative with his trades, he got us 2 starters for last weeks newspaper

Aj smith is slowly losening his grip on VJ....

I think week seven Jackson starts as a redskin

If chargers sit him they only receive one pick, well give um one more but a later round

Posted by: brandon_in_cali | September 7, 2010 1:42 AM | Report abuse

dealer1- Yeah, I'd knock the dust off that..

Posted by: Diesel44 | September 6, 2010 10:14 PM

She is SMOKIN' hot. So much so, that if I knew for a fact she had AIDS, I'd still hit that.

For the record, that is the highest grade of hot I dole out. Kinda like "elite" status for a QB...

Brandon, if we go halfway thru the season and then trade for VJ, that would be retarded...dude will be a FA at the end of this year. If we wait that long, what's another few weeks to save the pick and wait to get him on the open market?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 5:11 AM | Report abuse

The funny thing about Florio's take on the Skins "missing out" on Housh is that he kills us for having "an aging, hodge-podge roster hoping for 9-7 or 10-6 and a Wild Card loss before the bottom falls out again"...as if a 32 year-old Housh is such a difference maker that couldn't possibly be considered an acquisition equally as counterproductive as the Galloway move. UFB...as with AH, if Housh was such a game changer, he wouldn't have been on the open market to begin with...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 7, 2010 5:18 AM | Report abuse

brownwood --

1. Don't try to reason with Brandon about VJ. Man up a hard doesn't think good.

2. Don't try to reason with brownwood about Adriana Monsalve. Man up a ...

Posted by: beep-beep | September 7, 2010 5:22 AM | Report abuse

"Duke/GT Graduates = rich men
Posted by: beep-beep"

We believe ya. How 'bout a loan, good buddy?

Posted by: Samson151 | September 7, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

"as if a 32 year-old Housh is such a difference maker that couldn't possibly be considered an acquisition equally as counterproductive as the Galloway move. UFB...as with AH, if Housh was such a game changer, he wouldn't have been on the open market to begin with...Posted by: brownwood26"

That's probably true. Here's a guy with a solid career record on the field that Seattle and its new coach cannot wait to get rid of. They're even going to pay the bulk of his salary, and they still can't find a trade partner. Even normally trigger-happy folks like Snyder and Al Davis (both with weak WR corps) are hanging back a little. Finally they just cut the guy and he winds up in Baltimore, on a one year, $850K deal. The Ravens already have Bouldin and Derrick Mason, but Donte Stallworth broke his foot so they needed a third receiver. To make room, the team sent Mark Clayton and a 7th rounder to St Louis for a sixth rounder.

Something we probably don't know about playing a role here, I think...

Posted by: Samson151 | September 7, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

"One thing I've learned about Shanahan since he became HC is thet he is all about the smoke and mirrors."

One columnist in Colorado referred to his press conferences as 'odorless, colorless."

Posted by: Samson151 | September 7, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

"Shanahan is backed up by their known need for LBs in the new Defense. Redsksins added another LB to the last Psqaud slot. There is no there there."

Not following that argument. Doesn't matter if they had worked the player out and had him on their draft list. Why didn't they just do a straight player swap, with or without accompanying draft choices? What's with two separate transactions? The NFLPA suspects it's to save $$ that would have been due should each team have cut its own draft choice, but that doesn't make all that much sense either, since we're not talking large sums here.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 7, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Thing about Frank Beamer is that his teams often lose their opener. Third straight year, I believe. Partly because he brings in a lot of new guys every season and rotates them in and out right from the beginning, hoping the team will get better as the game progresses.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 7, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"Ha-ha. I went to Duke and Georgia Tech. My starting salary when I graduated in 1993 ..."

A hint - if you're still bragging on your schools instead of your accomplishments 17 years later, you've aleady lost the argument.

Posted by: zimbar | September 7, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse