Shanahan isn't surprised Redskins are underdogs vs. Lions

The Detroit Lions are 1-5 and again in last place in the NFC North.

Although they have struggled for years, the Lions are making progress under Coach Jim Schwartz, Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said.

"You don't have to look at somebody's record to see the progress," Shanahan said. "All you got to take a look at is the Chicago game [a 19-14 loss to the Bears], and on that fluke call [wide receiver Calvin Johnson's late touchdown catch was overturned] they didn't win that game. Then you look at Green Bay. Green Bay wins by two [28-26] and they hold them to, I think, 250 yards [261] total offense and they got a chance to win the game at the end of the game. Philly, it's 35-32 [Detroit loss], the game could have went either way.

"Giants, 28-20 [another Detroit loss], they still got a chance to tie it [late in the game]. So you take a look at all those scenarios, they beat the Rams, 44-6, and you get [standout rookie defensive tackle Ndamukong] Suh you get [impressive rookie running back Jahvid] Best. And you take a look at the direction their team's going and how they've played, that's one of the reasons why we're an underdog going into the game."

Quarterback Matthew Stafford - the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft - is expected to return to the lineup this week after being sidelined since Week 1 because of a shoulder injury he suffered against the Bears. In Week 3 last season at Ford Field, Stafford passed for 241 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions in leading the Lions to a 19-14 victory over the Redskins that ended their losing streak at 19 games.

Star fourth-year wide receiver Johnson is among the most dynamic players at his position. He has 29 receptions for 437 yards (a 15.1-yard average) and five touchdowns.

Shanahan does not need to remind the Redskins that they are facing an improved Lions team and that they are underdogs, but "I think it's reality," he said. "If you need that to motivate you then something's wrong, but you need to bring it to somebody's attention that we're underdogs going into the game. It's not like we're 14-point favorites."

By Jason Reid  | October 28, 2010; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan  | Tags:  Detroit Lions, Washington Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nine players, including McNabb and Landry, limited by injuries
Next: Shanahan: Fletcher's 200th straight game 'amazing'

Comments

We gotta put these guys away in the FIRST half...if we let 'em hang around, they'll beat us...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 6:06 AM | Report abuse

Thinker, you must've missed the last two days up here because there's a group on this ridiculous "McNabb sucks and shouldn't be re-signed" kick that's on the right side of crazy...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 6:00 AM

Well, a lot of people post up here and I guess you can constitute "a group" that believes anything. Or, there are so many people saying so many different things that you can lump them all together under a single banner.

I don't know if I'm in a group, but I have said that I think IF McNABB DOESN'T PLAY BETTER in the second half of the season than he has in the first half then we should franchise him and trade him. Shanahan seems to be taking a wait-and-see posture though maybe for different reasons.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 28, 2010 6:29 AM | Report abuse

Congrats, DeAngelo on "Defensive Player of the Week" Honors. Your prize? You get to try to cover 6'5" all world WR Calvin Johnson.

Mike is VERY happy Detroit is favored--it's a gift from the gods. It will help get 'skins fired up.

Posted by: TheCork | October 28, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

beep, I've said all along that most teams don't do new deals in-season. How nobody seems to be aware of this is stunning. And the whole "franchise him and trade him" thing is so assinine because if he doesn't ball out here, who's gonna want him? McNabb has more value to us than whatever firesale rate we trade him for.

I agree he needs to play better, but regardless of whether or not he does we gotta keep him for at least the next 3 years. Otherwise, we just wasted a 2nd and a 3rd/4th pick for a one year stopgap.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 6:41 AM | Report abuse

I would like to think this is the game that our O takes it to the next level and puts up the coveted 30 points. We should be able to move the ball. We just gotta punch it in when we are down in the red zone. I'd like to see McNabb post multiple TD's thru the air.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 28, 2010 6:41 AM | Report abuse

Cork, the Skins are nuts if they stick DHall on CJ all game long...Carlos is bigger and is the better man defender, IMO. CJ goes for at least two TDs if DHall has to check him for 60 minutes...

Agree on the line, though...favoring Detroit only helps our cause.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 6:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 6:41 AM

So what? This is what is called "sunk cost." Apply that logic and you'd be starting Devin Thomas because "Otherwise we just wasted a 2nd round pick for a kick-off returner."

Anyway, it's too early to have an opinion on resigning him. Don't cross your bridges before you get to them. Or don't burn your bridges behind you. One of those bridge things.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 28, 2010 6:46 AM | Report abuse

From Schrager at Foxsports.com:

Washington at Detroit: Lost in the DeAngelo Hall highlights and the head-scratching Lovie Smith/Jay Cutler post-game comments following Sunday's 17-14 contest was a dominant performance from Albert Haynesworth. Remember him? Haynesworth had his best game as a Redskin on Sunday, recording a key sack and making several game-changing plays in the middle. With Haynesworth, Hall, star linebacker London Fletcher and LaRon Landry -- my pick for NFL Defensive Player of the Year thus far -- playing to their full potential, Washington could boast the toughest defense in the NFC. The Redskins should take care of a feisty Lions squad on Sunday.

The Pick: Redskins 20, Lions 16

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Beat the Lions, we took care of the Bears, if only we could take on the Tigers..

Posted by: alex35332 | October 28, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see McNabb post multiple TD's thru the air.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 28, 2010 6:41 AM

Not as much as I would...as he's my default starting fantasy QB in the wake of the Great Favre Collapse...

Beep, DT had 3 years to get his act together...DMac won't have more than a year. Comparing those two situations is apples and tomatoes.

All I'm saying is this guy has proved his worth...and you have to look beyond the numbers to see that. I just don't get how anyone who's watched all 7 games thus far can arrive at any other conclusion than #5 is dragging this offense to enough production to post a winning record in spite of itself...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 6:57 AM | Report abuse

This is pretty interesting.

We don't have much chance of making the playoffs according to this. I personally think we have a good chance at post season play this year.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 28, 2010 7:02 AM | Report abuse

Accuscore forecasts = power rankings

If everything went according to "the numbers", then Dallas and San Diego would be good. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 6:57 AM

Ha-ha, brownwood, who do you think you're kidding? McNabb has had 12 years to "get his act together." He's got to do a better job of finding and hitting receivers than he has in the first seven games. Still nine more games to go and if he's all you say he is then he'll do it. Me? I've got an open mind.

Posted by: beep-beep | October 28, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

Beep, seems to me you're underplaying a very important angle here...McNabb played in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SYSTEM his first 11 years. Don't just assume that "aw, it's still a WCO, no biggie". Just because they come from the same coaching tree, don't assume that Reid and Shanahan run the same offense--because they don't.

New coaches, new personnel, mediocre line and only two quality targets to throw to. Yet we're 4-3. I'm not saying he's without blame or that he shouldn't be missing open guys. But I find it a bit arrogant and misguided to assume we just discard a guy that can win you games without posting big fantasy numbers.

I'm glad you've got an open mind about it. I'm just of the mind that you lock this guy up for at least the next 3 years to see what he's got. It's not like we have a younger/better/cheaper option right now...and if were so easy to get one, we (and about 15-20 other teams) would have had one by now.

The only way you cut bait on McNabb after one year is if he's epic awful. He's looked bad at times, but he's far from epic awful.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

Nothing like the power of good drafting (and not having Matt Millen around anymore):

and you get [standout rookie defensive tackle Ndamukong] Suh you get [impressive rookie running back Jahvid] Best.... Quarterback Matthew Stafford - the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft.....Star fourth-year wide receiver Calvin Johnson is among the most dynamic players at his position.

And when you throw in Louis Delmas, Brandon Pettigrew, Tony Scheffler, et al., what you get is a young team that'll only get better.

Give Martin Mayhew some credit, y'all.

Dude is building a nice team.

But this team must FALL thisweekend:

Skins Win 32-17

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

BTW...how the hell are we talking about McNabb when London Fletcher is about to suit up for his 200th consecutive game? This blog is worse than I thought for not giving LF his props for being a true iron man...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

The Skins tend to take opponents like The Rams, Lions, Bucs, etc lightly. I hope they learned from those past mistakes.

Posted by: FedorEm | October 28, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Co-sign Moe...the former Skins DB is doing well in his new career as Lions exec. I think that team might be pushing the Packers for a spot atop the NFC North next year...maybe even this year if they got hot down the stretch.

Here's Redskins.com's ode to Fletcher:

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

The only way you cut bait on McNabb after one year is if he's epic awful.

But what do you do if your trusted evaluation team comes back from college scouting and says that like Sam Bradford and Stafford and Sanchez, either Ponder, Newton, Locker, Luck, Mallett, ? can jump into this system and make plays from day 1?

Do you flip McNabb to, say Minnesota, walk with picks, draft the young'n you want and move forward kowing you have Beck as a young choice, too?

I'd say, 'Yes'.

'Cuz that's what should happen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2010 7:49 AM | Report abuse

I don't know Moe...color my skeptical on that. If you do that and one of those guys is a star, you look like a friggin' genius. If you do that and the rookie ends up being Heath Shuler 2.0, then you just traded away a proven vet who fits your offense well and set your franchise back 5+ years in the process.

Suffice it to say, I'm glad I'm not the one making that call.

I just wanna see how this whole thing plays out...McNabb is too good to not get this thing right this year and I still maintain that you can't just look at his numbers to judge his worth. I think he's well aware he's not getting Brady/Manning money here and so long as we get him at a reasonable price, there's no downside to keeping him here.

Besides...as much as I like Shanahan, I don't necessarily trust him to draft a QB, considering the guy we just picked off 4 times last week was the best QB he's ever drafted...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Agree on the line, though...favoring Detroit only helps our cause.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 6:44 AM
------------------------------------------
Calvin Johnson is going to pose a problem for Washington's secondary. I remember what AJ did to them in that Texans game and I could see a repeat here. The key has to be getting to the quarterback. The Lions will try running it to start so they can ease Stafford back into the passing game, so shutting Best down early is also key. Let's hope Haynesworth can be just as disruptive as he was in the last game, and the other guys can take advantage of it.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Thank you LasVegas, for giving the Redskins the added incentive to curb-stomp the Lions on Sunday.

Shanahan is not going to let them take the Lions lightly, especially after that Rams debacle.

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 28, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

RSH, first of all, CJ isn't as good as AJ...but I would say he's faster, so then again, maybe that's a push. But I think the D is playing way better than it was when we played against Houston and I think having AH in the lineup with a more defined role helps as well. Plus it seems like Haslett is getting a better feel for how to use the available talent effectively.

So while I don't expect them to go for 30 points on us, I do expect they'll clear 20 points. That's why I think the onus is on the offense this week to perform...or else we'll be coming up short.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

The difference between the guys I listed (except Cam Newton) and Heath Shuler is that they all have been running NFL-lite systems in college for more than 3 years.

That's a lotta starts facing college level programs running NFL type defenses, too, btw.

If you can get a kid who knows how to audible out of bad plays, has had a lot of starts, can make the quick out throw across the field, or feed the ball in the seam between the safety/corner in a cover-2 scheme, you have an NFL ready quarterback.

And Heath Shuler wasn't any of that coming out of college.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

But I think the D is playing way better than it was when we played against Houstonand I think having AH in the lineup with a more defined role helps as well.

This is a fairly arguable point.

Remember: our defense didn't shut the bears offense down, Jay Cutler did.

The lions will watch the tape of that game, decide to 'spread' our defense, and make passes underneath as running plays.

That's what the eagles, bears, rams, and packers all did to move the ball upfield on us.

Expect that style of offense Sunday from the lions.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

lee and the freak going and 18 combined runs scored...who'd a thunk it....

gotta get up on the lions early, make them 1 dimensional...run ATV AWAY from Suh....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 28, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 8:15 AM
------------------------------------------
On the offensive side of the football it is up to Torain. The Lions defense has given up a lot on the ground this year and Torain needs to produce. If the Redskins can establish the threat of the run early, it will make it easier for a struggling McNabb to get things rolling in the passing game.

Defensively, the quarterback is coming back from injury and might be scraping some rust off. The defensive backfield needs to key in on underthrown balls - especially late in the game when that arm might get a little tired, but the make it or break it thing for this defense is to get to the quarterback. Bring the blitz early - back off later in the game after the QB has scraped off the rust.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FedorEm | October 28, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

I for one didn't make any mistakes, it's the player's fault.

Signed,
Vinny C.

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I don't know Moe...they said all that about Jimmy Clausen and he just got benched for Matt f-ing Moore.

At the end of the day, drafting a good QB is a crapshoot. Plenty of "can't miss prospects" miss and miss BADLY. We've got a solid veteran guy who fits what we do and has a good 3-5 years left in the tank. I think we ride it out with him and see if we can't get our hands on a guy in the draft to bring along slowly in the next year or two. I'd just hate to see us throw away all the great progress we've made by playing musical chairs at the most important position on the field...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

The Detroit Lions are 1-5 and again in last place in the NFC North. - RI Post

We're still a better 1-5 team than them.

Signed,
Wade Phillips

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Vegas isn't stupid. How many times in Week 8 do they completely F up the line? Their lines are tight now for a reason. They want equal play on both sides and must believe Detroit has a very legit shot at winning. This Skins team doesn't play well in these types of games. This week will show what kind of "character" they've really got.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 28, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

This is a fairly arguable point.

Remember: our defense didn't shut the bears offense down, Jay Cutler did.

Expect that style of offense Sunday from the lions.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2010 8:28 AM

Moe, those games you listed (save for the Rams) were some of the lower scoring games our defense has had, so it doesn't exactly look like that's a foolproof scheme. The only reason the Lions scare me in that scenario is because Best is a threat to score every time he touches it. He'll do way more damage than McCoy or any of the other backs we've faced.

RSH, I think Stafford being rusty might be a bit overplayed...they're coming off a bye, so he's had 2 weeks to prepare for this game. I'll be a bit surprised to see him at anything other than his best on Sunday...even if he starts out slow.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 6:41 AM |

--------

we already wasted those picks on McNabb IMHO

go ahead brown, let me have it, but just because folks don't like the McNabb deal doesn't mean they're being assinine

Posted by: hessone | October 28, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Love this quote on London Fletcher:

“This guy is special to me,” Haslett said. “He is the most incredible guy on defense I’ve ever been around, in terms of understanding the game, taking it from the classroom to the field, knowing plays, knowing what’s coming next. He has everything you’re looking for in a middle linebacker.”

I sincerely hope we can win a SB with this guy so he can finally get the credit he deserves. He's every bit as great as any other MLB/ILB in football right now, Ray Lewis included. He's just another example of a guy's quiet and understated nature biting him in the ass in this media-driven, "me-first" vibe around the NFL.

Hopefully, he gets his due like Art Monk finally did.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully, he gets his due like Art Monk finally did.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Re: Skins Taking Teams Lightly

The Lions are favored, and all I hear people talking about is how Stafford is going to come back from an 8 week layoff and tear apart the Skins weak secondary. I'm sorry, but last I checked Matthew Stafford was not Matthew Schaub, Aaron Rodgers or Peyton Manning...more like Jay Cutler or Kevin Kolb.

Anyhow, I don't see the Skins taking this lightly at all. The guys from last season remember being embarassed last season, and I'm sure the other guys on this 4-3 team will want to respond to the fact that they are "underdogs" against this 1-5 squad.

Posted by: p1funk | October 28, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | October 28, 2010 8:46 AM

Not liking McNabb or the trade isn't what's assinine...what's assinine is wanting to dump the guy after 7 games, thinking he's got trade value beyond what we've already paid for him, or thinking we can beat the streets and find an upgrade. Oh, and thinking Rex "The Human Turnover Machine" Grossman would fare better behind this rickety line. Wanting to go younger is understandable...thinking we can do better in 2010 or that it's a given we can do better in 2011 is not.

Hope that clears up my position...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I don't think it's overplayed.

He may have shaken the rust off of his throwing shoulder, but he's basically seen 1 quarter of real live regular season game action since last year.

The rust will be evident in his decision-making, ability to read the field, and instincts in the pocket when defenders are flying around at him.

Again, we're not talking about Peyton Manning. This guy's name is "Matthew Stafford" in case people have forgotten.

Posted by: p1funk | October 28, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Hope that clears up my position...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 8:57 AM |

brown, your point is crystal clear. we made the trade and we'll move on from here. it'll be interesting to see how we rebuild this team with no draft picks though

Posted by: hessone | October 28, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

As aggressive as D Hall was last week, I'd be looking for the double move early and often - especially off play action.

Need Albert to blow up the middle again, pressure Stafford into some bad situations and see if we can't flip the field with some timely T O's.

Skins win, but it will be a very physical game...again.

Posted by: edvar | October 28, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Sure hope you're right, pfunk.

For me, it's not about the Lions being a threat because the Skins take them lightly. I think the Lions are a legit team that is close to breaking out. We seem to always be the team that starts a revolution in other cities, regardless of how good we are.

The Lions have had two weeks to prepare, they get their young leader back in the lineup, and they've been close to beating some good teams this year. I'd venture to say this game will be tougher than the Bears game...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

As much as I want a McNabb deal to get done, if Shannahan doesn't feel like he's the player he was in Philly, he WILL be released, or signed just to be traded. Shannahan already proved this year that it doesn't matter who you are, where you were drafted, or how many picks we wasted to get you. The prime examples are The Old Soup and the Music Video Star! Sure, it will be a bitter pill to swallow considering we could have done a lot with that second round pick and either a 3rd or 4th this year, but better to cut your ties early enough to correct the mistake instead of hanging on just for pride sake.

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Re: Trading McNabb

It's pretty simple. If this team keeps winning, then there's no way you can trade him. No coach/GM in his right mind is going to go out and "fix" something that isn't broken.

McNabb is doing alot for this team right now, and if it continues this trend toward a winning record and possibly the playoffs, how do you turn around, dump McNabb, bring in Christian Ponder and say with a straight face "We needed to make this decision to get the organization back in the right direction".

Huh?

Posted by: p1funk | October 28, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I see this trend continuing...

The Redskins are 4-0 ATS as the underdog.
The Redskins are 2-0 ATS as an away underdog.

Posted by: oh_boy1 | October 28, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I will go out on a limb and say this game is going to go down to the final minute :)

Posted by: fearturtle44 | October 28, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 28, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

So, you contend that the Skins have a 2 in 3 chance of winning today?

I'd say that sounds just about right. But, what's more important, is what the Skins do against the Lions. They REALLY need to run the ball more. If they do, I believe Torain will have the best game of his career, and McNabb will have a much better completion rate than usual.

I cringe every time I read comments bemoaning the fact that the Skins don't "move the ball through the air." No disrespect, but this ain't Madden '11 on my XBox.

When I see a more consistent approach to rushing, in which the Skins rush on 1ST and 2nd down in at least half of their drives, they will have proven that they have the tools to make the playoffs.

I know the offensive line stinks, but Junior (that's what I call Kyle Shanahan) needs to at least give them a chance to make mistakes learn from them.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 28, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

pfunk, 100% agree...numbers be damned, if we're 10-6 and in the playoffs with McNabb and a band of slappies on offense, there's no logical reason to ditch him. If he puts up mediocre numbers and the team falls apart down the stretch, that's the only way I'm even entertaining the notion of letting him go. That's why I'm mystified this is even a topic of discussion going into Week 8 with a 4-3 record...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I think we need to hang onto McNabb. Holding on to McNabb and developing a young quarterback do not need to be mutually exclusive. Having veteran leadership around would be valuable to any rookie coming in, and the team would be wise to let any young QB wait in the wings for awhile. Personally, I think McNabb brings more to the table than throwing the football.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

The Optimism Bus has a lot of speed bumps to travel over week to week. Time for a Koolaid stop.......

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

1. Redskins should be underdogs--away game against a good team that beat us the last time we played.

2. Without McNabb, with JC17, Skins are either 1-6, or even 0-7. He hasn't played that great, but he finds ways to win games, something no Skins QB has done for a long time.

3. I agree, we need to score first, or else we might be in trouble against the Lions. Either way, expect another nail-biter!

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | October 28, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I know...and to start hearing chirps about Jason Campbell to boot.

Blog-folk never cease to amaze me.

Posted by: p1funk | October 28, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Some of you guys are nuts, Beep is right on. As I posted yesterday, why not have this discussion? People are up in arms saying "how dare you even think about benching McNabb?" What has he done? QB rating of 70???? You kiddin? Leadership counts of course. However, you lead by example. Pull a win out of a hat and show everyone you can be relied on. The last rive against the bears was all Torain and all O liine. McNabb does not look comfortbale and like I said, ask yourself this question "how much worse than 70% can Grossman do?"

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 9:27 AM |

Dude you are an idiot grossman would have 30 sacks behind this line and would probably be in the hospital.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 28, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

------------

mcnabb wants a ring. if he thinks he can get one here and the moneys right, he'll sign with us. if there's a better chance to get that ring somewhere else, I think he's gone, regardless of the money.

shanahan continues to evaluate the personel on this team. if he thinks mcnabb can take the skins to a SB he'll do everything possible to keep him in the off season. if not, the franchise tag and trade seem logical

no deals until the off season though

Posted by: hessone | October 28, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"how much worse than 70% can Grossman do?"

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Don't you remember the end of my career with DA Bearz? I was pretty bad!

Signed,
Sexy Rexy

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget about Detroit's TE Pettigrew. First rounder from last year, kid is a threat.

Posted by: bhoang888 | October 28, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 9:27 AM

Are you f-ing kidding me right now? Nobody's up in arms about benching McNabb because he's some sacred cow...the reason it's ludicrous is because our backup is Rex "The Human Turnover Machine" Grossman. Say what you will about McNabb, he takes care of the ball and avoids more sacks than you can count. Don't be so easily swayed by one stinker in 20 mph Chicago winds...McNabb has proven all season long that he can "Pull a win out of a hat and show everyone you can be relied on". He's been doing it all damn year with a shaky line and mediocre receivers. Even Ray Charles can see that.

I pray every day (and you should too) that we never get an answer to the question "how much worse can Grossman do?"...because the answer is gonna have us picking in the top 5 in the draft again...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

You're beyond nuts.

We are 4-3 and you want to talk about replacing our starting QB with Rex Grossman??? For real???

Grossman can do MUCH worse than a 70 rating. Why don't you go queue up a list of his passer ratings from the last season he was a full-time starter at Chicago.

And why are you zeroing in on the Bears game as if that's all the evidence we have to evaluate McNabb?

He looked pretty in control against the Texans.

His 350+ passing yards were sure helpful when he sparked that second-half comeback against the Packers.

It was nice watching him scramble around and make plays in the 4th quarter to help ice the Eagles.

Maybe he doesn't "look comfortable" yet b/c the pass-pro has been pretty mediocre and he's 7 games into learning a new offense with new players and coaches.

But instead of appreciating that he's led the team to a 4-3 record, instead we're entertaining the notion that maybe it's a good idea to give Rex Grossman and try.

...unbelievable...behind this Oline and with these players Rex Grossman is going to give us a Jason Campbell-like performance.

Posted by: p1funk | October 28, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 9:37 AM |

you gotta admit brown, picking in the top 5 in the draft would be a good start on the rebuild.

LMFAO

Posted by: hessone | October 28, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Wow...we might have missed one here:

Flozell Adams becomes protoypical right tackle
Posted by Mike Florio on October 28, 2010 6:58 AM ET

After spending his entire NFL career as a left tackle with the Cowboys, Flozell Adams joined the Steelers with the understanding he's flip to the right side.

As Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News explains it, Adams should have been there all along.

Writes Gosselin: "Through good times and bad, when I looked at Adams and his 6-7, 335-pound frame, I saw a right tackle. I saw him as a massive road grader who could pave holes for elite backs in elite ground games. I always thought the Cowboys were playing him out of position."

After a rough start on the right side, which at one point had Adams sharing first-team reps with Jonathan Scott in a preseason game, Adams has made the transition nicely.

"We've gotten a lot of quality play out of Flozell," Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler told Gosselin. "We're excited to have him here. . . . Probably midway through the preseason he started feeling comfortable. You look at him now and you wouldn't know he even played left. He's very comfortable over there in his footwork, movement and sets."

Adams actually has played right tackle before. As Gosselin explains it, Adams was a right tackle at Michigan State before flipping to the left side -- the money side -- in his senior season. The Cowboys apparently never considered moving him from left to right; then again, it's possible that Adams would have never accepted the indignity of such a move after spending so many years as a Pro Bowl left tackle with the same team.

In Pittsburgh, he may not be a Pro Bowl right tackle, especially since the Pro Bowl tackles usually are all left tackles. But Flozell quite possibly could be a Super Bowl right tackle.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 9:27 AM
------------------------------------------
It's nice to have another veteran waiting in the wings, but if you are winning, why would you suggest making a move? The team knows they have an offensive line that is struggling to put together a complete game, a novice running back, and a receiving corps that isn't much beyond Moss and Cooley. Couple that with the fact that the quarterback is still learning the offense and it all equals a work in progress. Patience is what everyone needs right now.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse
__________________________________________
Optimists at least enjoy the ride.

Pessimists live in a dark hole afraid of sky falling on their head.

Only one team out of 32 will win the SB. Rest of the fans need to learn to enjoy the ride rather than being bitter all the time.

Posted by: SeedofChange | October 28, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 28, 2010 9:39 AM

Dude, that would be a best case scenario for Rex...I'm thinking more like Favre 2010...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Prediction:

The Redskins come to play and make up for the turd they popped out on Ford Field last year. McNabb gets pressured, but they take some of that away in the second half due to Torain getting running lanes, making Suh and company tired fat blobs. Haynesworth continues to create havoc, Orapko has at least one sack, and Rogers will have an interception, yes I said ROGERS! The best play he's ever made was a Pick 6 he had against Detroit 2 years ago. Redskins roll!

Redskins - 34
Lions - 17

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

I would never suggest bringing in Sexy Rexy. I just believe that in order for McNabb to be worth it (the 2 draft picks), he needs to perform at a much higher level than he has so far. In addition, if he asks for top 5 $, he's not worth that unless he turns into Peyton Manning during the second half of the season.

Why does everyone believe that CR should get the vet minimum? I understand he doesn't deserve top 5-10 CB $ until he learns how to catch, which most likely will never happen, but he is definitely a top 20 CB - and top 20 CB's don't deserve the vet minimum. I'd say a mid-level contract with INT bonuses that bring it up to top 10 contract assuming he catches more than wind.

Posted by: JesusFreakKaren | October 28, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Where is Chris Horton? You mean to tell me that he can't make more plays than Doughty, I'm not buying that.

Posted by: joeboggs | October 28, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Rogers will have an interception

haha..he's done for the year as far as interceptions go...he's gotten his 1....no sense in getting crazy....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 28, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 28, 2010 9:39 AM |

heck p1, I'll go out on a limb and say campbell is a better choice than grossman, SB appearance and all

Posted by: hessone | October 28, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 9:27 AM

This something that irritates me about football fans. They think that every game is a referendum on the QB, instead of the entire team.

The best teams in the league do not rely on once-in-a-generation QBs like Manning (the good one, not the one in NY) or Brady. They have good defenses and good offensive lines that can move the ball on the ground. The Skins did not win three Superbowls with the best QB in the league.

Also, the best QB that ever played in DC, never won a championship.

If you are looking for a QB to "pull a win out of a hat", you'll be looking for a long time.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 28, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Run the ball against a defense weak against run!

Stop the run as our D seems to make all RB's look like Barry Sanders!

Knocking out Lion's QB will not be enough as their back up's are pretty good. Take away the time from Lions with run game is the solution.

Go Skins 24-17!

Posted by: SeedofChange | October 28, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Also, the best QB that ever played in DC, never won a championship.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 28, 2010 10:00 AM |
--------------------

I assume you are referring to Jurgensen.

No, he never won a championship.

But I would disagree that he was the best QB to ever play in DC.

That title goes to Sammy Baugh. Who was also a damn good safety and punter.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 28, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Also, the best QB that ever played in DC, never won a championship.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 28, 2010 10:00 AM

150% agree. Couldn't have (and apparently haven't) said it better myself.

Trent Dilfer has a ring, and Dan Marino doesn't. I'm not sure there's a more compelling argument than that...

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 28, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Man, I have been reading all of the get rid of McNabb posts on here over this week and had to double-check to make sure this wasn't Eagles Insider from 2007, 2008 or 2009. Hello folks! The Redskins, who flat-out SJKd last year, have already won as many games out of their first 7 as they did in 16 last year. They have a jewelry store clerk as a #2 receiver, and a PS player as their starting running back. The starting offensive line has played together for about 10 minutes total so far this year. McNabb's pure elusiveness and size has avoided at least 15 sacks so far. The guy came in here and was universally acclaimed by his new teammates to be the team's leader about 2 weeks after showing up. He is a leader and he wins games. Quit the Eagles fan routine, already!

Posted by: manlius1 | October 28, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

What is this “replace DM5” crap? This is stupid…The man has had a bigger impact on this team and done more for this team than anyone has done for the last five years.
Aside from Philly name one other team that wouldn’t want DM5.
Speaking of stu_pid where are you.

Posted by: fat_back | October 28, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Actually, I'm surprised the Grossman-over-McNabb thread is still going.

When it first came out, almost every RI poster (myself included) slammed it for what it was: a strawman argument.

I guess after those comments, Reid and his minions at the WashPost started creating RI handles to pretend there is actually a (sane) contingent out there that wants Grossman at QB.

Too funny.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 28, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

ask yourself this question "how much worse than 70% can Grossman do?"

Let's not find out.

Posted by: wireman65 | October 28, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

How many QBs drafted in the 1st round over the last 10 years have made it to the Superbowl?

2000- Steve McNair
2001- Trent Dilfer and Kerry Collins (6th ovr)

2002- None
2003- None
2004- None
2005- Donovan McNabb
2006- Ben Roethlisberger (defense)
2007- Peyton Manning
2008- Eli Manning (defense, still sucks)
2009- Roethlisberger (defense)
2010- Peyton Manning

Roethlisberger and Manning simply rode with elite defenses and offensive lines.

So, which two QBs, drafted in the first round, made it to the Superbowl simply by being great QBs? Peyton Manning and, that's right, McNabb!

On the other hand, here is a list of QBs drafted WITH THE FIRST PICK that busted:

Harrington
Leaf
Alex Smith
Matt Leinart

The jury's still out on Stafford and Bradford, but I'd be surprised if one of them gets to a superbowl.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 28, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Too funny.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 28, 2010 10:16 AM |

could it be that barno1, Chia_Pet, and Poopy_McPoop are really the brainchild of one JReid ?

way too funny

Posted by: hessone | October 28, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

"They have a jewelry store clerk as a #2 receiver, and a PS player as their starting running back."

What's wrong with finding players off the street?

The Rams won a Superbowl with a grocery store clerk at QB. In fact, he wasn't even a clerk- he stocked shelves! And he nearly won another Superbowl 2 years ago!!!

Don't knock players for having real jobs outside of football.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 28, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

A should win, can win, must win game.

Outcome will answer the questions for me:

Are they a contender or still a pretender?

How far has have they really come from previous years?

Posted by: kone | October 28, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Enough of the Grosman talk. What would he give us, maybe a little bit better completion %, but a whole lot more sacks as Donovan has escaped many with guys like Jamaal Swiss cheese Brown blocking for him!

Posted by: joeboggs | October 28, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

That title goes to Sammy Baugh. Who was also a damn good safety and punter.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 28, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I stand corrected. As much as the game has changed, I bet Sammy Baugh could play in the modern NFL. He's one of the few players from older generations that you can make that argument about.

Posted by: jboogie1 | October 28, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Too funny.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 28, 2010 10:16 AM |

way too funny

Posted by: hessone | October 28, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Let's take it one step further! I bet Reid is BlueStarOintment and Tampax, and that NERD Brian Burke is Mr. Irvin. Let's face it, not even true Cowpie fans are that positive over being 1-5.

Posted by: monk811 | October 28, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 28, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Cosign. This is the Arron Rogers model and look at how well that is working out.

As much as I hate to say it, he learned a lot from that other guy. You know...the one with the new style Open Zipper Wrangler Jeans.

Posted by: Devo2 | October 28, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Wow, people are passionate about DM. Cool. You misread my comments though. It is not a one-game referendum first of all. I am not saying bench DM necessarily either. I am saying that he has not done what he was brought to DC for. He has not delivered and running around avoiding sacks is great but damn it, those ground balls and overthrown balls drive me crazy. Nothing to do with scheme or O-line problems. Accuracy problems. Also, would it kill the guy to sustain a winning drive at the end of a freaking game?????!!!! We keep relying on the D and on the kicker every week. And do not gimme silly little examples about hw he takes care of the ball. He has to win and not MERELY manage the game. JC could have managed the game with the personnel and coaching staff we have now. Where is the upgrade?? It's gonna comeback to bite all of us in the ass. That's all I am trying to say. Dude needs to play better and I honestly do not care what anyone else says in this post. If you think that he is playing as well as he is going to play all year and you are OK with that then you not know football. Wake up. It's not about loyalists and getting defensive because you like the guy. I am talking about his lack of production. I am saying he needs to get better. WHO DISAGREES WITH ME???

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Pre Lions Game thoughts

1) The Skins won't be spending the day making bad punts having to keep the ball away from Devin Hester. As such, Hunter Smith will be able to boom them freely in a windless environment. Detroit should not be enjoying the same benefits of far better than average starting field position on punt returns that CHI had.

2) Matt Stafford is coming off a SHOULDER injury. At best he'll have his head on a swivel with some moderate pressure from the Skins' D. At worst (for DET), he'll be in panic mode after a few times hit.

3) Ford Field has NO wind. Gano will hit EVERY kick he makes crisply.

4) McNabb won't be contending with wind, either. He should be better on his long throws. Expect a deep reception or two by Joey "Milk Carton" Galloway.

5) Armstrong will have one more game under his belt, as will Torain. Expect to see an end around or two, a good bit of play action passing, and don't be surprised to see the Shanahans dust off the old shovel pass early to get N. Suh thinking before he charges.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | October 28, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

here's what NFL fanhouse says about the skins in the NFC (rated them 7th):

"Has McNabb been much better than Jason Campbell was in the 4-12 2009 season? Not really. The Redskins still have most of the deficiencies of last year's team. The difference is Mike Shanahan and especially Jim Haslett. Shanahan has turned ex-Bronco Ryan Torain into a very serviceable running back. Haslett's defense is next to last in the league allowing 408 yards a game, but just 13th in points allowed. "Bend but don't break,'' which especially helps when you get fumbles at your own 1 and interceptions that are returned 92 yards for a score."

Nuff said. DM has to do better. Stop crying at the criticism you guys. It's valid.

Posted by: mustang_johnny1 | October 28, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

The Skins need to resign Donovan to a front-heavy 4 or 5 year deal.

The O-Line and D-line are at least a good 3 drafts away from being where they need to be. Drafting a QB when you NEED a QB gets you a better chance at getting a Heath Shuler, Tim Couch, or Ryan Leaf than it does at getting a Sam Bradford, Phillip Rivers or Peyton Manning.

If a team has a serviceable QB they can wait to draft the QB they want rather than just take the best QB in a bad QB draft. McNabb at the helm means the Skins get to draft big men in the early rounds of the next few drafts, and eventually make a move on a college QB they really believe in - in the Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers mold.

If all goes well, the Skins can make some playoff runs while they build a good young team, and in 3-5 years maybe they could get a dynasty going.

Posted by: CommieX | October 28, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

When McNabb gets rushed he gets happy feet. When he gets happy feet he will throw it in the dirt or he will throw an Int. That is why he is not in Philly and that is why the Redskins are not yet sold on him. The man is a leader and a good QB, but untill he masters this system he will not be signed.Book it.

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 28, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mustang_johnny1

mustang, i disagree w/ you. winning the game isn't about putting everything entirely on mcnabb's shoulders. he isn't the only offensive skill player we have on the team. it takes a concerted effort by the receivers to get open, it takes a concerted effort to be patient and follow the up back into the holes (remember...torain has a propensity to make unnecessary cuts instead of just hitting the hole in front of him). mcnabb doesn't have the same line he had in philly and that counts for something. he's getting the "jason campbell" treatment. in his 12 seasons, he's never been hit the way he has behind our line and anyone in here would agree w/ that. if you look at the situation in dallas, they have a very talented team but rely on romo to win each and every game. and each game, they steer away from using marion barber and felix jones. that's the wrong approach. they aren't wearing down defenses by running the ball. suddenly romo has to pass, pass, pass. i'm happy for their record but they have a much better line than we do and they're not taking advantage of it. point blank....we'll start looking like world beaters when we can run the ball more effectively. when teams fear our running game, our receivers will dominate. you can't expect mcnabb to win every game when torain should be running the ball w/o fumbling. you can't expect mcnabb to take the snap and pass accurately when a defender is in his crack! sure he's missed some passes but there are 10 other guys on offense he needs help from. why aren't you asking for more from them?

Posted by: charronegro1971 | October 29, 2010 3:03 AM | Report abuse

If the Redskins are to make the playoffs as a wild card, this would be a defining game. They must win. We still have the Giants twice, and the Cowboys and Eagles are going to be out for revenge. We have to win games against teams that are rebuilding or we cannot hope for a wild card. As for McNabb, I can see signing him for 5 years with most up front. You can pick on his weaknesses, the Philly fans did that for years, but he is a winner and fighter. Does not rule out that they need to find the franchise QB of the future. Someone able to lead this team by 2013 or 14. McNabb's style and agressiveness leads to injuries and they take their toll. I am afraid he wants a longer expensive contract and that is probably why Philly pulled the trigger. They have Kolb and Vick for insurance and Kolb is not done there.

Posted by: skins50 | October 29, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | October 28, 2010 6:46 AM

Beep-Beep, man you are way off here. It's ok to call it sunk cost when you have other viable options at the position, which we don't. Brown is right you can't let McNabb go b/c we have no where else to turn unless you want grossman on the field. And how much can we really expect from McNabb with below average offensive line play and only two real threats in the passing game (Cooley and Moss). Plus prior to last week we had the most dropped passes of any team in the NFL. McNabb is doing fine, we need more talent around him.

Posted by: morrownd1 | October 29, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse