Posted at 9:10 PM ET, 01/ 2/2011

Shanahan on McNabb: "Nothing is out of the realm of possibility"

By Barry Svrluga

Quarterback Donovan McNabb entered the 2010 season as the Redskins' splashiest offseason addition, a six-time Pro Bowler who was to offer Washington stability at what had, for years, been a tenuous spot. But McNabb ended the year in Sunday's 17-14 loss to the New York Giants as an afterthought, the third quarterback - available only if starter Rex Grossman and backup John Beck suffered injuries.

In the locker room afterward, McNabb dressed quickly and told several teammates that he would not be reporting to Redskins Park on Monday. Some players took their exit physical exams on Sunday, and McNabb was apparently in that group. He hugged teammates on his way out, but again declined to answer reporters' questions, as he has done since Coach Mike Shanahan announced he would be benched for the final three games of the season on Dec. 17.

Shanahan was asked again about the possibility of McNabb remaining with the Redskins.

"Same thing I said a couple weeks ago," he said. "After the season's over, I'm going to get a chance to evaluate Rex. We'll sit down [and] make the best decision for this organization. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility right now. I'm not going to say one way or another what's going to happen, because I'm not really sure myself. We'll sit down and evaluate everything."

In 13 games, McNabb finished with 14 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions - a career-high -- the first time he had thrown more picks than touchdowns in his 11 years as a full-time starter. His passer rating of 77.1 was the lowest since his rookie year of 1999.

By Barry Svrluga  | January 2, 2011; 9:10 PM ET
Categories:  Donovan McNabb, Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Giants defeat Redskins 17-14 in hard-fought finale
Next: Chris Cooley to have knee scoped Monday

Comments

Go Seahawks!

A Seattle win moves the Skins into the 10th draft slot versus 11th overall in the first round.

Come on 'Hawks!!!!

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | January 2, 2011 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Just move on. Drat a qb to groom for the future.

Posted by: TWISI | January 2, 2011 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Darn you Shanny for such a crappy first season. Let's hope you got your major suckage out of your system. You made this season pretty joyless for a lot of Skins fans.

Posted by: farstriker | January 2, 2011 9:16 PM

Yes, and we're accustomed to better things than this.

Posted by: beep-beep | January 2, 2011 9:20 PM | Report abuse

No way Shannahan does anything other than keep his cards extremely close to the vest.

And i don't think we will ever know who his coveted QB is until the pick comes down.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 2, 2011 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lacy41 | January 2, 2011 7:23 PM

Hey Sugar Tits, I hope you're pretty because you're as dumb as a sack of dull hammers.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 2, 2011 7:27 PM | Report abuse

ROFL
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Diesel44: Actually, I'm a 60 year old woman who has been a fan for many years. I even have dirt from the 50 yard line of RFK. A lot of people think I'm pretty smart. What I do know is that a sure sign of an immature personality is someone who resorts to name calling instead if articulating an argument to win a debate.

Posted by: lacy41 | January 2, 2011 9:12 PM

So neither then..That sucks for you. Actually let me apologize and say that your negativity is only surpassed by your stupidity.

Give the current regime more than 1 year to fix the last 10. You might also be perfect fit for beep-beep.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 2, 2011 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Anyone mind if I burn a joint? After this season, I feel like I've earned it.

Posted by: No_Punt_Intended | January 2, 2011 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Beeps x2

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 2, 2011 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Shanny, his son and his lover Grossman are 1-2. Skins would end the season with 5 wins at this rate.

Shanny and his defensive coordinator turned a top 10 defense into last place defense in league. Skins would have won 2 games with last place defense in the league.

Shanny and his great season comes to an end.....

Posted by: SeedofChange | January 2, 2011 9:48 PM | Report abuse

My prediction for the 2011 Season:

M. Shanahan=HC
K. Shanahan=gracefully released
D. McNabb=starting QB
Sexy Rexy=released in order to spend more time with K. Shanahan

Posted by: lacy41 | January 2, 2011 10:11 PM | Report abuse

So the Insider doesn't know who took their exit physicals on Sunday. Would not surprise me if it were Haynesworth. Jason was so looking forwared to camping out at Redskins Park tomorrow waiting for him!

Posted by: Nemo24601 | January 2, 2011 10:25 PM | Report abuse

McNabb is the superior talent... Grossman is obviously the better choice for this offense. Let's draft a QB #1 or #2, trade McNabb for a draft pick, cut our losses, and move on.... Anyone who says that the Skins "owe" McNabb his release are smoking dope.... I don't give a rat flip about his "feelings"... I care about whats best for my football team!

Posted by: egrib | January 2, 2011 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I wish he would stop blowing smoke and do Donovan the honor of releasing him. What a joke! SMDH

Posted by: Neisha_H | January 2, 2011 11:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind if you spark one up. How do you think I watched the whole season? And yeah Shanny needs more than 1 year to fix this disaster of a mess he inherited.

Posted by: Skinsational | January 3, 2011 6:03 AM | Report abuse