Shanahan says moves are part of rebuilding process

The "rebuilding" word came up during Tuesday's news conference, and Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan was actually the one who mentioned it first.

"That's completely false," Shanahan said.

He said the team's veteran signings during free agency were more a matter of filling holes and adding depth.

"Take a look our running backs. People don't realize we released five running backs. We signed two," Shanahan said. "We lost a left tackle; we lost a [right] guard. They were starters. We signed one. So when you take a look at it, it's a rebuilding process [where] you take a look at salary, you take a look at guys that you believe can help your football team win."

By Rick Maese  |  April 7, 2010; 3:16 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan: McNabb 'probably can play as long as he wants to play'
Next: Analysis: Shanahan in test of wills with Haynesworth

Comments

Not sure the words and the music completely match, but I'm willing to stick around to see how it plays out.

Posted by: edvar | April 7, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

This blog needs rebuilding, i guess its a process too.

Posted by: skinball77 | April 7, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

STOP GIVING AWAY DRAFT PICKS. IT NEVER ENDS NO MATTER WHO COMES IN HERE. IT HAS TO STOP.

Posted by: MOJOMELE | April 7, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

This blog needs rebuilding, i guess its a process too.

Posted by: skinball77

THAT might be the funniest thing I have read on here. Totally agree. Hail to 'em

Posted by: ChrisWoody | April 7, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The Skins should be much better this year just because Shanahan is so much better than Zorn as a coach.

The challenge, other than the OL, will be the schedule. 6 games in the division that are always tough. 3-3 would be a good result. McNabb is 11-15 in the division in the last 5 seasons.

The AFC conference we play is the toughest in the AFC -- Houston, Jax, Tenn and Indy. A bit optimistic, but call that 2-2.

We play the NFC North. GB and Minn will be tough, Det and Chi should be better, but probably not good. Call it 2-2.

That's 7-7 before we get to StL and Tampa. Call it 9 wins.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar

Nailed it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MOJOMELE | April 7, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | April 7, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

guess we find out soon enough if Big Ben gets charged.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | April 7, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MOJOMELE | April 7, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | April 7, 2010 3:45 PM

Second.

Posted by: edvar | April 7, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

This is called managing expectations. But it won't work. No one is going to accept failure with McNabb at QB.

Book It!

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 7, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Rebuilding means drafting players - and getting rid of 33 year old with declining skills for draft picks if you can.

We gave up a high 2nd and a 3rd next year TO PHILLY!!!! WTF, for McNabb!? I don't want to root for this guy - you can do all the re-branding you want this is BS

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | April 7, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

What's a 'draft pick'?

these words confuse me.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Right. Rebuilding. With 30+ year olds.

As the saying goes:

Out with old, and in with the...err,ummm...old?

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

OK, but just to play devil's advocate here coach, the RBs you signed will turn 30 and 31 in November. Last year, they combined for 276 carries and 0 rushing touchdowns (not a misprint folks). You got rid of a guy who will be 26 this season and scored 3 TDs on 62 carries. How is this 'rebuilding?'

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

skinball77

"This blog needs rebuilding, i guess its a process too."

This suggests that some bloggas should be cut loose.

I offer mistamoe as his posting game is as tired and played as a Tom Cruise movie.

He's a minority we'd rather report on than hear from.

(INSERT rimshot audio and image of Rodney "Moe" Dangerfield being banned by the Redskins Blog Owner, the guy who too can't bleive the lack of respect Moe receives from this blog.)

I'm out.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

See this is the crap that pissed me off about the old regime.

Like when Vinny Cerratto told us that he DID address the Oline last year.

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"That's completely false," Shanahan said. "This team is being constructed to lose and lose NOW."

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Cripes, stop being so nit-picky….he said it’s a rebuilding process, which it is.

He didn’t say they were building a winner. As a matter of fact, the quote reads like this:

“It was noted to Shanahan that the acquisition of Donovan McNabb certainly gives the impression that the team is being constructed so that it could win right away.
"That's completely false," Shanahan said.”
Sounds like they are not trying to build a winner anytime soon, according to the coach……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | April 7, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

The more I see of his actions and hear him say, the less I like Shanahan.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 7, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 7, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

He's a minority we'd rather report on than hear from.

I'm out.

Posted by: MistaMoe

The fact that you mentioned "tired as a Tom Cruise movie" and then stated in teh next sentence "Minority" and "Report" so close together frightens me.

I would say anyone for building Aircraft Carriers soley for the need of disaster relief shoudl be let go but that is just me.

Posted by: skinball77 | April 7, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MOJOMELE | April 7, 2010 3:41 PM
=================
ProFootballWeekly did research on Draft picks remaining after 5 years.... less than 50%.. So, screw it. Trade them all away for proven NFL players. Why crap-shoot on a "50% maybe" when you can get a known commodity for the same or less?
JC cost 3 picks (1st, 3rd, 4th) and so far is a 5 year bust with the lowest TD efficiency rating in the NFL.
Donovan, a Probowl caliber QB, cost a 2nd and a conditional 3/4th in 2011. 4 years age difference.. The better deal..? Donovan... So why gamble on the 50/50 Draft?
Thank you for your time, signed, Bobby Bethard

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

See this is the crap that pissed me off about the old regime.

Like when Vinny Cerratto told us that he DID address the Oline last year

Can I get an Amen?

Okay, I'll do it: Amen.

A whining, nasally Amen but still....

Posted by: SteveMG | April 7, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Rebuilding is a black and white term here on RI. Either you're rebuilding or trying to win now. No way they could be combined? take any showers lately p1funk? rebuilding while trying to win also? that's why the NFL lacks parity. they should try to be more like baseball where every 4 or 5 years, different teams have an opportunity to win the World Series.

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Beepers, beepers.

Posted by: Smiley2 | April 7, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

LH, I never liked Shanahan, but I always respected the results he got with his teams over the years... and I remain optimistic about what he can do with the Skins.

...Though this week somehow feels like we're on the verge of a train wreck even though we landed the best QB this team has had since at least Joey T.

I expect I'll feel better when we have some "resolution" on Haynesworth and Campbell... and then of course comes the draft...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 7, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MOJOMELE | April 7, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | April 7, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------

What the heck are you talking about.

We made a flipping trade for a franchise QB

Trading Jason Taylor for as one year rental... now that's given away draft picks

And for all you skins fans who are agonizing over this new direction, I suggest you become an eagles fan because DM5 is here to stay.

now we have a chance to win

Read this:

Posted by: imthedude | April 7, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Beepers, beepers.

Posted by: Smiley2 | April 7, 2010 4:01 PM
=================
premature beepalation?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

GM,
The reason the NFL will never be like baseball, there is no minor league system for the NFL to allow teams to rebuild behind the scenes.

A baseball franchise consists of really 3-4 teams and you put an A squad together for the majors, an NFL team has no such luxury.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 7, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Put that against the 18 years of crap we have had here!!!!

11-5 babyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Posted by: BarackObama | April 7, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I guess your right. We can make moves like this AND rebuild b/c of all those draft picks we...errrr, I mean because we can sign all those young FAs out on the....errr...never mind.

Have I showered lately???

Good question.

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

"You put an A squad together for the majors"

Yep, that's precisely what the Nats' management have been doing, putting a single-A squad together for the majors. And you can't argue with their results!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 7, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

You see p1funk i think what he was doing there was making fun of your handle. Funk=funky like you smell funky.....have you showered?

yeah it kind of makes his postings that much dumber doesn't it?

Posted by: skinball77 | April 7, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Your logic reeks of stink funk.

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

The more I see of his actions and hear him say, the less I like Shanahan.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 7, 2010 3:57 PM

Maybe it's worth seeing whether he wins games or not? Nah, let's just go on his free agency. We'll give him a fair trial and then hang him.

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

So what would your plan be?

Trade the whole roster for picks?

I think Shanahan is doing the best he can given the circumstances surrounding the number of picks and changes to FA.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | April 7, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Your logic reeks of stink funk.

Posted by: skinshaveaGM

I reposted that last comment there for all of you. In all its splendid glory......

/facepalm

Posted by: skinball77 | April 7, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I like McNabb as a skin. He's got plenty left in the tank. I don't think Dallas has him figured out, I think they have Andy Reid's offense figured out.

What I'm not so sure about is the 2 picks we gave up to get him. I don't feel good about that at all, what with all the holes we've got to fill around here.

That said, I'm waiting for this whole Jason Campbell thing to play out. If we can recoup some of what we lost (even if it's next years 3rd) I'll feel a little better about this. 1 2nd round pick for a exponential upgrade at the QB positiion is well worth it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 7, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

What's a 'draft pick'?

these words confuse me.

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"draft pick" means fighting chicken I think in spanish

Posted by: BugEyes | April 7, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

So what would your plan be?

Trade the whole roster for picks?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | April 7, 2010 4:11 PM
=============
Shanny has a full preseason of player evaluation and up to Oct 15th to make trades.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar

Nailed it.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 3:44 PM |

Yea I kinda agree. You don't rebuild by giving away draft picks for 30 something players. At least noy for the long term.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 7, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

The obvious question arises, who will be the first to buy a bumper sticker that says "Don't Blame Me, I Wanted to Keep Zorn"?

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 7, 2010 4:12 PM

Maybe a multiple, but not an exponent.

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 4:10 PM

LS, whether or not he wins games won't necessarily determine how I feel about him.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 7, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 4:17 PM

Someone with the surname Zorn.

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Guess how many offensive linemen were drafted by the Phillydelphias during the period of '96 - '03? (remember McNabb drafted in '99)

Put it to you this way. The Phillydelphias did not build their grrrrreat O-line prior to or after McNabb through the draft. McNabb led the Phillydelphias to a winning record in his second year and never looked back. Ironically they didn't draft any starters on O-line the previous three drafts. So where did that stellar O-line comefrom?

just what i thought. facts in one ear and out the other, or mebbe the facts didn't get thru your ear wax build up chump

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

RI logic. I think I am getting it after 4 years as a near daily blogger.

The skins have been off season champions for so long. We no longer care how the team even does in the actual season, we are more interested in the team on paper...

Posted by: alex35332 | April 7, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

The Phillydelphias did not rebuild their O-line thru the draft when they went on their 3 NFC championship run. I know its confusing

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

So what would your plan be?

Trade the whole roster for picks?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | April 7, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Actually with the cap situation we have right now, with no salary cap. I am shocked no NFL team tried this. There is no limit (I think) to how many players you can get in the draft... If I were a St. Louis or some other team with nothing to lose, I would just say, everyone is for sale best offers, draft picks only.

Imagine going into a draft with over 20 picks or something like that.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 7, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 4:20 PM
==================
so DM's lightening fast release made the Eagles OLine better? I have to agree. You got 2.5 seconds to hold your block..and a slow read/release indecisive QB needs longer.
Has anyone seen the Casserly video? haha.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who will buy it but you'll most likely see it on the back of a Pale Horse.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 7, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

hampsters already have the H8 turned up full blast.

Step it down a notch gentlemen. Next year will be fine. Warren sapp says so.

Posted by: iH8dallas | April 7, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes and in one point of that run (I think it was the 2002 season), the Arizona Cardnals were able to get through the line, and hit McNabb so hard he broke his leg, he finished that game but was out after. So then they put in Koy Detmer, who a few games later was hit in what may be the most painful sack I have ever seen live, and they were forced to play AJ Feeley.

So if thats your plan, I guess we can give AJ a call, he is still around the league somewhere.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 7, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I am embarresed at all of you. so what we gave up a second rounder. We were going to draft a QB in that position any way. Or worse, try to go after on in the first round. He is a proven winner and that is all that matters.

If we do develope a young QB, who would be a better teacher than McNabb.

If we ever win a superbowl you will be the same people who complain that we did not win by enough

Posted by: danny2 | April 7, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse
======================
say what you will about Zorn.. But, he was instrumental in the FIRING of Vinny Cerrato and the HIRING of Shanahan and Bruce Allen.
Zorn, and his Swinging Gate, was THE Change Agent of the Redskin's much brighter Future.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: danny2 | April 7, 2010 4:36 PM

Oh yeah? Try us.

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

just finished reading ESPN and they have us linked to signing Flozell Adams, Terrell Owens, and trading for Brandon Marshall.

On another note there is talk the Vernon Gholston the Jets top pick from a year or two ago may be released if they sign Jason Taylor. Might be a quality pick up for cheap

Posted by: GreatOne1 | April 7, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | April 7, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

What more do you want from a coach?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | April 7, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | April 7, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

So leave and go be an Eagles fan

Posted by: leevi98 | April 7, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if this has been talked about today... been kinda busy so haven't been here

But, I really wouldn't mind if the skins could sign Flozell Adams. As long as it was a 1, maybe 2, year deal with a low base salary, I think that would be extremely useful. He'd slide right in on the right side and let Heyer go to the bench where he belongs. We then draft Okung, or some LT in the 1st round and our oline automatically becomes mediocre instead of terrible...

Hes certainly not the long term answer, but at this point we have few legit options who can actually play right or left tackle... While he is a dirty player, and a former cowgirl, he is one of the best run blocking tackles out there and will have a chip on his shoulder to show Dallas they screwed up.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 7, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't care what anyone says but check out what Elway, Favre, Young, Simms, Montana, Moon, Marino, Manning were able to do in their early to mid 30s. They may not have been in the prime of their career but the drop off was minimal if at all. I will take Mcnabb with a slight drop off from his prime. That would mean Pro-bowls and deep in the Play-Offs.!

Posted by: BarackObama

Thing is Mr. President, McNabb IS in his mid-30's now. Turns 34 during the season. And while there are lots of QBs that have done well at this point in their career, a lot do not. More to the point, also guys start missing more games, meaning you play your #2 QB a lot more.

Your examples don't help your case as much as you think they do.

Start with Steve Young. He played every game from age 31-33. He missed an average of 3 games per year after that, until his last season when he missed 13 games. Total of 25 missed games in 5 years. Just over 30%.

Take Joe Montana. Was brilliant every time he played. He missed 1 start in 1990 at age 34. He missed the entire season at age 35 and played in 1 game at age 36. He played great in KC at age 37 and 38, but missed 7 games in the 2 years he was there. What's the difference between Joe Montana and a dollar bill? You get 4 quarters from a dollar bill. Montana after age 34? 4 seasons, played in 26 games, missed 36 games. Missed 60%.

Take Dan Marino. Had good years at age 34 and 35. His 3 years from age 36-38, by QB rating, were 3 of his 4 worst seasons. Ineffective for 60% of the seasons.

Take Phil Simms. He played some of his best football beginning at age 34. He played 6 seasons starting at age 34 and missed 28 starts. Again, its 30%.

Its possible for guys to have long and effective careers from age 34 on. Moon, Elway and Favre all prove that. But Simms, Montana, Young and Marino, on average had about 40 games left in them as a quality starter beginning at age 34.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 4:20 PM
p1skunk, where'd you go? you dropped your self esteem on the ground. too many holes in your funky jeans/pockets

I guess p1skunk left to go check my facts. It sucks when your preconceived opinion is proven wrong. I don't expect to see him for a min.

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

before we got mcNabb I thought we would require a significant O line upgrade to be competitive.

now, I think we will require a significant O line upgrade to be competitive.

okung, please, or best LT

Posted by: pabrian2003 | April 7, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | April 7, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Its only a 3rd if Mc5 makes the Pro Bowl or plays 70% of the offensive snaps and we win 9 games. To me if either or both of those happen we'd be pretty happy and the 2nd and 3rd would look like a solid move. Otherwise, I still say a 2nd and 4th for a QB of Mc5's caliber is pretty darn reasonable.

Posted by: zjfr2 | April 7, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinshaveaGM | April 7, 2010 4:24 PM

What are you talking about? The Eagles spent first round picks in 96 and 98 with Mayberry and Thomas. Welbourn was a fourth rounder. Fraley was undrafted. When Welbourn left they spent a fourth rounder on Herremans. When Mayberry left they used a first on Andrews. The one thing the Eagles have done is spent quality draft picks on lineman. The only starters who they didnt draft were Runyan, Jamaal Jackson and Fraley who were all free agent pickups.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | April 7, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Can you imagine signing TO with McNabb here? I say cold day to that one.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 7, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332

McNabb has missed 17 games in his last 5 years in philly. In those games. philly's record was 10-7, a 61% winning %. They were 34-28 with him, a 55% winning %.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | April 7, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I have a vague recollection of the Eagles drafting Winston "Turnstile" Justice in an early round. Come to think of it, I never really thought about Philly having an offensive line.

p.s. Money says that Philly drafts a running back with that #37 pick.

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GreatOne1 | April 7, 2010 4:38 PM |

Gholston has been the epitome of bust. No thanks.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | April 7, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm just a humble free-range Idaho steer (expat from the herd commute of DC), but the following from http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/000018.html strikes a chord re: this blog. Not that it hasn't been said before in fewer words...

"Ants, and other social insects, use simple rules to create complex emergent actions. This observation, that large numbers of participants can make small choices which add up to collectively complex systems, is the basis for all sorts of amazing and exciting work in computation, robotics and complexity theory.

The idea goes something like this: if we can figure out how ants use a few dozen pheremones to communicate with each other in ways which allow them to, say, go invade that picnic twenty meters away, then we ought to be able to figure out how to program large numbers of relatively dumb parts to work together using similar rules to say, guide traffic on freeways, or keep windmill farms working at optimum efficiency. This is known as an "agent-based, bottom-up" approach. It's a valuable insight, which has already lead to some startling breakthroughs.

However, like all good working metaphors, the metaphor of ant-like emergence has a dark side. In this case, it's the circular mill. As described by Eric Bonabeau, a circular mill occurs when ants travel around an obstacle, say a tree trunk, leaving behind them two parallel pheremone trails which say "follow me" - one going there and one coming back. More ants follow that trail, leaving their own "follow me" trails as usual, but then something goes wrong: an ant going there takes a wrong turn and crosses over to the coming back trail, then wanders again to the going there trail, creating a circle of "follow me" pheremones around the tree.

Other ants pick up this circular trail, and, by following it, reinforce it. Sometimes a colony's entire worker ant population will get stuck in one of these patterns, going around the tree faster and faster, building up a stronger and stronger circular trail, until they create a circular mill, from which no ant will vary, and run around in a circle until they all die.

Draw your own conclusions about meaning and import, but the next time someone mentions programming a system to work like ants or bees, remember the circular mill."

moo cows moo

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 7, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

also found this on espn today... again not sure if its been discussed but whatever...

"We were always skeptical of the rumors indicating that the Detroit Lions would do anything aside from drafting Ndamukong Suh at No. 2 overall, but it's been like whack-a-mole; every time a rumor that they're taking Russell Okung gets squashed, another one bounces up in its place.

But according to Brian VanOchten of the Grand Rapids Press, the team appears "locked in" to taking Suh at No. 2. He argues that the recent acquisition of Rob Sims to play guard is a further indication that Jeff Backus is going nowhere; VanOchten does note that it's possible the team will go after a new franchise LT in 2011, hopefully not with another Top 2 pick."- ESPN

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 7, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I remember Jets fans complaining that their team eschewed "rebuilding" traditionally in the wake of signing guys like Allen Faneca, Damien Woody, and Thomas Jones, and trading for guys like Kris Jenkins, Lito Sheppard, and Brett Favre.

They ended up building a team good enough to take one of the worst rookie QBs in history to an AFC title game -- even if all the 'veteran' moves didn't work out perfectly.

Give it a chance.

Posted by: psps23 | April 7, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Yep, the options right now are slim and the team doesn't have a lot of resources to use.

The troubling aspect is that if they use whatever resources (picks, spare players) to use to upgrade the line, that means any resources to shore up other areas are gone.

If they lose a Moss in pre-season or a Fletcher goes down, they'll have little left to shore things up.

I don't blame Shananhan for all of this. He came to a team with lots of problems and not a lot of resources to work with.

It's a long term effort and there's a ways to go before camp, but up to now, I'm scratching my head over what they're trying to do. Seems spur of the moment more than planned.

We'll see.

Posted by: SteveMG | April 7, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I am embarresed at all of you. ...

Posted by: danny2 | April 7, 2010 4:36 PM

Now you have a window into how we feel about ourselves, posting up here all day long and what not.

[Also, beware of spelling and grammar cops ... we had a shake down earlier today.]

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

So what would your plan be?

Trade the whole roster for picks?

---------------------------------

I think if the fans were in charge that would be the plan.

Get as many picks as possible and draft like crazy for 2-3 years rebuilding.

Goal - no one - NO ONE - on the team should older than 28 in 3 years.

Then you have the foundation for a legacy if your picks don't suck - especially with Snyder's money where you could keep the group together.

Posted by: mac2j | April 7, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah. Right. Rebuilding. With 30+ year olds.

As the saying goes:

Out with old, and in with the...err,ummm...old?

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

As opposed to what? Building the team with all rookies and 3 year vets with no experience at all??? Yeah that's how the Saints, eagles and Pats built their teams....i think not...

Lets just start with the patriots...off the top of my head here are older vets and FAs the Pats have used during their Superbowl years...

Randy Moss, Junior Seau, Corey Dillon, LB Vinnie Ciurciu, Ty Law, Terrell Buckley, Antowain Smith, Otis Smith, Brain Cox, Jermaine Wiggins, Jim Miller, Rodney Harrison, Ted Johnson, Christian Fauria, Keith Traylor, Kyle Brady, Wes Welker to name a few

Posted by: leevi98 | April 7, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

"... that the Detroit Lions would do anything aside from drafting Ndamukong Suh at No. 2 overall, but it's been like whack-a-mole; every time a rumor that they're taking Russell Okung gets squashed, another one bounces up in its place.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 7, 2010 4:59 PM

Far be it from me to doubt the likes of VanOchten of the GR Press, but its not that its a rumor ... it just that it makes sense. Backus was there at tackle last year. Filling a guard spot does not erase the reason they have the #2 pick.

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

forgot about Fred Taylor last season...Seems to me the Pats have just about always used older Vets to fill the void at RB, (Smith, Dillon,Taylor)

sound familar to say What Shanny just did at RB?

Posted by: leevi98 | April 7, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

moodlymoodlymoo, I just had a one hand clapping moment.

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 5:00 PM

I think the term for what we had earlier today was "hoisted with his own petard."

Posted by: League-Source | April 7, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween

I'll order one, but only because my "Don't Blame Me, I Wanted to Keep Marty" sticker is fading.

Posted by: TheCork | April 7, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I believe that building through the draft is important but only when mixed with FA. Some where along the line...winning teams have been labeled as the way they did it was through the draft.....That is true but only in part....i think the truth and fact has gotten lost through time...but when you go back and look at all the winning teams last 10 years...there were lots of FA pick ups and many were 30 plus to fill immediate needs.

Posted by: leevi98 | April 7, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Give it a chance.

Posted by: psps23

You neglected to mention that two of those linemen protecting the rookie QB were New York Jet FIRST ROUND picks.

Posted by: TheCork | April 7, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

moodlymoodlymoo, I just had a one hand clapping moment.

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010

that should be "one hoof"... and what is the sound?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | April 7, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

leevi98, my take on the whole thing is that (1) the NFL is trying to build the business, develop new revenue streams, etc., (2) the draft format has been revised yet again, so that it occurs over three days instead of two, in order to increase interest and thus increase revenues, (3) DC is one of biggest media markets in the country, (4) the only days of interest to me as a local sports fan are now Days One and Three (and I'm off the hook after about an hour and a half into Day One), so (5) the Skins are AGAINST the NFL by depriving the rest of the league of a revenue increase by trading away its second round pick and participating in the supplemental draft.

btw ... did they ever say what position Jarmon would play in a 3-4?

Posted by: dcsween | April 7, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: edvar | April 7, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

sween... im not saying i agree that the Lions wont take Okung, I'm just saying I found it and thought I'd put it up here.

This also depends on if we send AH to them in a trade. If they get BFA then I really do not see the Lions draft Suh, or McCoy. That being said, who knows whats going to happen...

I would just like very much for us to trade down, get more picks something like another 2nd and possible a 5th or so, and still be able to get one of the top 4 tackles in this draft... its a dream and it wont happen... but thats about all I have left with this team.

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | April 7, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

So what would your plan be?

Trade the whole roster for picks?

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | April 7, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Up until a couple days ago, I would certainly have supported trading the bulk of our busted 4-12 roster for picks.

Now that we've gone McNabb, we need to acquire veteran talent now.

We need to keep AH; we probably need to bring in Flozell; we need to get Levi signed.

For Pete's sake, I'm wishing that we would have gotten K.Dansby and Larry Foote in the fold now. We're gonna make a run for a SB in a year or 2 and roll out a defense w/personnel that's never played 3-4 before.

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

If we had winston turnstile justice" at RT now that position would be solved. He is a solid player at that position last yr. and was given a contract extension last year. He is not the same player as many had witnessed a few seasons back in the giant game when he gave up six sacks and reid did not change the protection scheme(not sure if he prevented mcnabb from doing so.)justice was a 3rd round pick,he is NOT rinehart or heyer.

Posted by: wathu19 | April 7, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Finally...after 11 years the "R" word was mentioned by someone high up in the organization...FINALLY...and what do some of you do...

You still f*ckin' complain!!! You jackazzes complained for 11 years cause Snyder wouldn't hire a GM. We now have one and you're still bitc*in!

It's o.k. to be skeptical, but don't be stupid! The difference with bringing in these old guys is...they are cheap, have something to prove and won't cost us anything to cut if need be. PORTIS IS ON NOTICE!

I STILL CAN'T FUGGING BELIEVE PEOPLE ARE STILL COMPLAINING!!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | April 7, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not complaining. Go get Flozell. Re-sign Levi. Sign T.O. Draft Okung. Keep Haynesworth. Hopefully the Skins can get a 4th round pick for Campbell. I'm drinking the Shanny kool-aid.

Posted by: coparker5 | April 7, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Why a JC trade wasn't lined up *prior* to the McNabb trade, I don't get. As is, they are risking giving away picks.

Posted by: WorstSeat | April 7, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Why all the negativity? McNabb is waaaay better than Clownble and gives the Skins a real, honest chance to win every game, week-in, week-out.

You can chalk up two wins vs the Eggles every season for at least the next 2-3 seasons, at least one win vs. the Gints and one vs. the Cowpukes. 4-2 NFC East.

Probably 3-1 vs the NFC North and yes, probably 2-2 vs the AFC North.

That's 9-5 before St. Louis and Tampa are factored in, or 11-5 and a division crown NEXT YEAR.

Posted by: dc1020008 | April 7, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Just for fun --

Skins over last 3 drafts: 21 picks, 4 2009 starters, 9 2009 reserves, 2 active with other teams, 3 OOL, 3 IR/PUP

Cowboys: 26 choices, 3 starters, 13 reserves, 4 with other teams, 3 OOL, 3 IR/PUP

Jets: 13 picks, 4 starters, 5 backups, 2 to other clubs, 2 OOL, 0 IR

Patriots: 28 choices, 4 starters, 8 backups, 4 to other teams, 7 OOL, 5 IR/PUP

Saints: 17 picks, 4 starting, 7 reserves, 2 on other clubs, 2 OOL, 2 IR

Bears: 30 picks, 7 starters, 11 backups, 3 on other teams, 8 OOL, 1 IR

This building through the draft bit works better in theory than in practice...

Posted by: Samson151 | April 7, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I really don't feel good about Rabach at center. I hope Shanny can find some way to get the center from Florida (Pouncy?). McCoy said he was by far the toughest blocker he had to go against.

Posted by: coparker5 | April 7, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse