Shanahan says he's happy with three running backs Redskins now have

Lost in McNabbapalooza this week was the press release from the Redskins on Monday confirming the signing of running back Willie Parker. Of course, that was last week's news, but the Redskins wouldn't make it official until Parker made it to Redskins Park to actually sign his contract.

On Tuesday, Coach Mike Shanahan addressed publicly for the time Parker's arrival. While it might seem the backfield is crowded - see Portis, Clinton and Johnson, Larry - Shanahan pointed out that the Redskins have shed five tailbacks from last season's roster and added just two.

"The running backs we've signed, they all have a big upside," Shanahan said. "Willie is one of those players. I can see him fitting into our system that we run. I can see that with Willie, I can see that with Larry."

In fact, asked if the Redskins have room on their 53-man roster for Portis, Johnson and Parker, he matter-of-factly said, "Sure." He seems to be happy with the backfield additions.

"It took a lot of work. We looked at a lot of backs," Shanahan said. "We made the decision early to release some of the backs that we did because we did not feel they fit into our system. At that time, we did not have replacements, but we felt we would go in another direction."

Should the Redskins trade Haynesworth?

Vote now and tell us more.

What's the asking price for Haynesworth?

In the Redskins Tailgate Zone, Albert Haynesworth's future with the team is on the mind of moderator Matt "Bobby" McFarland today.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

By Rick Maese  |  April 7, 2010; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  Free agency , Mike Shanahan  | Tags: Clinton Portis, Donovan McNabb, NFL, Washington Redskin, Willie Parker
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins still showing interest in draft's quarterbacks
Next: Tennessee DT Dan Williams talks about Haynesworth, visit with Redskins

Comments

Note to Clinton and Albert--Your days of running this team are over.

Posted by: HelloNewman1 | April 7, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

FIRST to say we'll have an undrafted RB come in and push one of the old guys off the roster. Book it!

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Hey Washington Post... two words, "due diligence"

Posted by: narielnasl | April 7, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Nice -- ESPN has confirmed the Haynesworth trade rumors are all BS:

Like I said yesterday -- the original source was none other than Janso and the story has been relentlessly parroted by Sports writers who do not do their own research...

Posted by: siris | April 7, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

First of all, it's different when Carter says something about it because HE'S ACTUALLY PLAYED IN A 3-4. And not very well, I might add. So his apprehension is understandable.

Haynesworth at best is creating the perception that he's not even willing to try to fit in the 3-4. And if the coaches who will implement this scheme don't want him, why is this even an issue?

This isn't the first time a coach will send a big-name holdover packing. Remember Marty canning Larry Centers? Remember LaVar getting run out of town by Greggg? I don't hear you ranting over the Skins doing the exact same thing to JC (a career Redskin, btw) and you're here defending a guy who made a name for himself as a Titan and only came here to get Snyder's money?

I just don't get it, dude...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I can also understand the apprehension of a player to move to a position that he's NEVER played before in his life. I don't think that's terribly farfetched.

I would expect Malcolm Kelly to feel uncomfortable if the coaches sat him down and said - "We'd like to move you to tight end."

Second, I think the other people are creating the perception that AH is not willing to fit into the 3-4. I mean seriously, the guy said flat-out that he will play wherever the coaches ask him to play and he's not trying to be a distraction about it.

And I thought it was LUDICROUS the way Gregggggg W. benched Lavar. I was one of the people at the stadium screaming "Free LaVar".

I don't care if they send JC packing b/c I don't think he's very good...are you seriously going to compare JC's impact on a team to AH's impact on a defense?? There is NO QUESTION from anyone anywhere as to whether AH makes a HUGE difference to a defense when he's on the field. YOu are now comparing a guy who is widely hailed as the best at his position in the NFL to a QB that either (a) has a career as a backup from here on out or (b) is mediocre enough to start on Buffalo, Oakland or some other dreg of the NFL.

Apples and oranges...

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

psps23

"It's all about the value you could get with Haynesworth."

Yo9u make a strong case: if the return is high, then move him.

But I still say it makes no sense to move him when you're signalling you want to win now.

And besides, it looks like all this 'move Haynesworth' chatta is just that:

chatta

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I will definatley take Shefter's word over the Wapo anyday.

Posted by: Flounder21 | April 7, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Hey Washington Post... two words, "due diligence"

Posted by: narielnasl | April 7, 2010 9:12 AM

Yeah, and the Eagles started the offseason saying that McNabb would be their starting QB in 2010...yet here we are...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Nice -- ESPN has confirmed the Haynesworth trade rumors are all BS:

______________

Good. If Schefter is selling it, then I'm buying it. There's a guy who actually knows what he's talking about.

If AH's name came up in a trade talk with Philly, I can understand that. It indicates that Shallen initally did NOT want to part with picks and instead dangled one of their best players - that makes sense.

Now that the deal is done and we need to win a SB in the next year or 2, it would stupid to drain the talent from this team.

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Sharper on NFL Network hinting that he would like to be a Redskin...

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 7, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Larry Crocker in the 7th would do nicely.

Posted by: TWISI | April 7, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I voted to keep. The man is a pro. He & Orakpo really shored up the D Line and made a huge difference in the sack total, even with that wacky D we were running last year.

He's always drawn two blockers, how would that be different in the new system.

He may not be the rah-rah that everyone wants, but look how that attitude worked for Zoron.

I agree they made a huge mistake signing him to that much cheddar, but they've made their bed and do have one of the best defensive players in the league. Why would you loose that for no value?

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I have no doubt that at one point Bruce allen through Haynwsorth out there as a possible trade incentive. The only people who think we were gonna put big Al on the block seemed to work for 106.7.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 7, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Ryan O'Halloran, of CSNWashington.com, reports Washington Redskins general manager Bruce Allen said on Sirius Radio that the team has contacted the agent of free-agent OT Flozell Adams (Cowboys).

Posted by: skinfanman | April 7, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

And besides, it looks like all this 'move Haynesworth' chatta is just that:

chatta

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 9:18 AM

Agreed. The move to get McNabb signaled a paradigm shift from what looked like a long-term plan to a win-now strategy.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 7, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | April 7, 2010 9:15 AM

Did you see his 40 time at his Pro Day? That might not be a bad move...

All kidding aside, you're in the tank for AH and I can't get him outta town fast enough. So we'll agree to disagree. I guess this offseason and the 2010 season (if he's still here) will sort this whole thing out one way or another.

But you've gotta wonder...if AH is the real deal like you say, then why did the Eagles want no part of him in the DMac trade...

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Anthony Alridge will be your breakout start of 2010.

Book it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 7, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

For the record -- I like the RB by committee approach using: Portis, Johnson, Parker, Aldridge

The Skins RBs have been vastly improved vs.last year's group: Portis, Betts, Ganther, and Cartwright.

And I expect special teams will be much better with the subtractions of ARE and Cartwright.

Posted by: siris | April 7, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Sharper on NFL Network hinting that he would like to be a Redskin...

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 7, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

etrod on RI hinting that he would like Sharper to be a Redksin.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 7, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Sharper on NFL Network hinting that he would like to be a Redskin...

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 7, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

etrod on RI hinting that he would like Sharper to be a Redksin.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 7, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 9:12 AM

Anthony Alridge will be your breakout start of 2010.

Book it.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 7, 2010 9:26 AM

Looks like you may need to change your handle to "Unoriginal_etrod"...LOL

I'm playin' dude...I'll spot you partial credit. Haha

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

My friend and I were talking and he said
Chris Samuels is better LT than Jim Lachey.
I think Jim Lachey was better
What do you think?

Posted by: richardgovea | April 7, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Sharper on NFL Network hinting that he would like to be a Redskin...

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 7, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

etrod on RI hinting that he would like Sharper to be a Redksin.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 7, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Sharper on NFL Network hinting that he would like to be a Redskin...

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 7, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

etrod on RI hinting that he would like Sharper to be a Redksin.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 7, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I second that emotion-- move Landry over to SS. If they're serious about creating more turnovers, why not grab Sharper until we have some more flexibility to draft a FS in a year or two?

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 7, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinfanman | April 7, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Picking up LT Adams and FS Sharper would be great moves. The Skins could switch Landry to SS and be free to select the best available player or trade down in the draft.

Although they still need a starting RT IMO...

Posted by: siris | April 7, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

"Unless they get fair return (1st or 2nd & 3rd), they should hug it out and stick him at 3-4 DE and let him dominate for his 30 plays per game."

Again: let Haynesworth play tackle in your base 4-3, goal line, short yardage
or "46 bear" defensive fronts.

That's roughly 30 plays a game.

After that, Golston or Kemo plays NT in your 3-4 look where all you are trying to do is blitz and attack with safety play.

I don't see why this isn't a smart middleground where Haynesworth gets a defined role and built in chances to rest during games.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Come on now brown, I gave a name! That's the stuff legends are made of.

Well, that and triple-posts.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 7, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

I for one will enjoy winning more and having the players get used to it instead of sitting on the edge of my seat every Sunday only to be disappointed when we couldn't pull a winnable game out....AGAIN.

Posted by: westjr88 | April 7, 2010 8:54 AM
========
Agreed...
Those with season tickets do not want to sit in FedEx, again, watching a three and out Div 1 college Offense wasting another year of a better than average NFL Defense.

I welcome the veteran moves by Shan and Allen.
You can stockpile Draft picks out the gazoo.. But, as past is prologue and according to PFW, a little less than 50 percent of all NFL picks are still on their rosters after 5 years.
Why crap-shoot when you can acquire a proven vet with the same pick?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"Mike Shanahan knows that first hand with John Elway. Shanahan became head coach in Denver when Elway was older than McNabb is now and won two Super Bowls with him."

before i get blasted i'm just posting this quote from boz column as an fyi. cuz i had no idea elway was that old and no way i'm thinking superbowl or even playoffs. i'm just saying...

Posted by: dealer1 | April 7, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

What hint?

Posted by: skinfanman | April 7, 2010 9:32 AM

I saw it last night...it was toward the end of the show when the question was asked how the Skins would finish in 2010. Sharper said, "they may be a veteran safety away from a Super Bowl".

For the right price, I'd take him up on that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | April 7, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Flozzell Adams coming in for a visit per NFL Network...

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 7, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

My friend and I were talking and he said
Chris Samuels is better LT than Jim Lachey.
I think Jim Lachey was better
What do you think?

Posted by: richardgovea | April 7, 2010 9:29 AM

Samuels was the 3rd pick in the draft and was a 6x pro bowler

Lachey was acquired in a trade for Jay Schroeder and was a 3x pro bowler, one of the 70th greatest Redskins, and has a ring.

It's close but I would lean towards Lachey.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 7, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I like the idea of grabbing Adams at OT, even though he is a cowboy, we no longer have the ability to fix both tackle positions in the draft so we now need to fix one with a free agent.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 7, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

The thing about getting FAs this year is that everybody is on the team is starting from scratch. Normally you don't like an influx of FAs because it takes them a while to accommodate to a new system.

With a total overhaul this year, it doesn't make a difference.

I'm all for getting Sharper and Flozell.

Posted by: psps23 | April 7, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

and yes, i'm getting scited...just a tad bit about the season. new running backs, new qb, soon to be new OL...woohooo...i mean...we shall see...

Posted by: dealer1 | April 7, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Not picking up LT Adams.....

fixed it for ya...

guy is DUN...no thanks.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | April 7, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

==============
RI should also mention the other "big upside", given the CBA 500 pound gorilla sitting in the corner, only one year deals.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

With Flozell and Artis, along with Mike Wms and DD, this could be shaping up to be a large OL.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 7, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

keep on it tdawg... i say bring him in and levi for incentive laden one year deals, then drafting OT with first pick....

Posted by: Zeebs | April 7, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Sharper on NFL Network hinting that he would like to be a Redskin...

Posted by: TDawg1 | April 7, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

One of the buy products of having McNabb on the team. Productive players who are nearing the end of their careers would see the Skins as a team with playoff potential.

Posted by: TWISI | April 7, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

beeps ya'll

Posted by: dealer1 | April 7, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

"I'm all for getting Sharper and Flozell."

Sharper has a ring now, so if he comes here, it's all about the money.

So let him stay in nawlins.

Adams, though, would be a nice right tackle playing alongside Williams.

This means we'd still be in the market for a left tackle.

And you know who we all want for that spot.

Posted by: MistaMoe | April 7, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I strongly dislike the idea of former Cowboys on this roster (memories of Deion Sanders and Alvin Harper still sting)

I'd pull the trigger on Flozell only if 1) it was affordable and b) he would be ok with playing on the right side.

I'd still like to see LT addressed in the draft.

Posted by: Original_etrod | April 7, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

My friend and I were talking and he said
Chris Samuels is better LT than Jim Lachey.
I think Jim Lachey was better
What do you think?

Posted by: richardgovea | April 7, 2010 9:29 AM

Samuels was the 3rd pick in the draft and was a 6x pro bowler

It's close but I would lean towards Lachey.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 7, 2010 9:35 AM

In 1991 when the Skins won the SB, Lachey allowed zero sacks.

Posted by: skinfanman | April 7, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

It's close but I would lean towards Lachey.

Posted by: Diesel44 | April 7, 2010 9:35 AM
==================
agreed...even though Lachey's ex-daughter-in-law hooked up with Romo..(a purely empirical opinion and reason).

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | April 7, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Castoff Island... geeze.

We're taking everyone who's lost a step. Over tha hill, indeed.

Isn't Flozell the recipient of like the most false starts the last few years? He has to start early in order to stay off his back.

Well, if'n we do get him, I guess we'll only be going after one in the draft?

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Please NO to Flozell, you know how the saying goes, "Once a Cowboy Always a Girl..."

Posted by: narielnasl | April 7, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Beeps Peeps

Posted by: DikShuttle | April 7, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

You know Sharper's thinking that he can get one final REALLY nice payday out of the Skins before he'll be up for retirement, but I still say Yes, Yes, Yes! He would make the backfield much better.

I agree with whoever it was above that said this is what happens once you get a McNabb type of presence. Quality players want to jump on board because they see we are moving towards something potentially great. Exciting stuff!

I also still hold steadfast in my belief that Flozell Adams would be a big mistake, not because he was a cowpatty, but because he just isn't disciplined enough on the field to avoid the costly false start penalties. He's worked under big name coaches and QBs before, so that tells me that he's just not coachable enough to change this glaring issue.

Stick with Russell Okung on the left side and Levi Jones on the right side as starters.

Adams as a backup? Maybe...IF he would be OK with that.

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | April 7, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I suspect they've got to get something back in the way of draft choices for the guy. If not this year, then next.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 7, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | April 7, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

flozell adams is still strong but not quick enough to handle LT. This team needs to get a big young LT in the draft and try to trade down if okung is not there they need draft picks big time. as far a samuels and lachey samuels in his first year gave up only 1-2 sacks I would take him over lachey because samuels is quicker and stronger and more punishing run blocker.

Posted by: wathu19 | April 7, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

In other posts I have stated that I have never, ever seen a Skins DT who had to be carried off, held off, and taken off the field as much as AH. This so called beast, is a sissy in comparison to Diron Talbert, Dave Butz, Eill Brundidge, Manny Sistrunk or Darrell Grant. He cost us more time outs than anyone I can ever remember. He looked like he was dying from exhaustion on many occasions. He tried to be a club house lawyer and lead the team to a revolt about a practice day during a holiday break. He spoke ill of coaches and players. Now he doesnt want to join team conditioning programs (you can see his worked sooo well). And he has no enthusiam to try a position that the coaches feel would put the team in the best situation to WIN. He is ME player. He has the physical tools, he just lets them rust. He is a mental midget. He is the personification of a type of player that makes teams lose and gets coaches fired. His repeated statements of earning his money and being the kind of player we were looking for, and not being a bust was a complete BS lie. Across the league and in the sports world, even way outside of Washington he is listed as the biggest FA bust in history.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | April 7, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Keep Big Al and make him earn that 21 mill. I think he should go to the school of TEAM PLAYER hosted and taught by Mr. Donovan McNabb! You will find him in your TEAM`S weight room!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | April 7, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse