Mike Williams placed on reserve list
Redskins The Redskins said Thursday that the team was placing offensive lineman Mike Williams on the reserved-non-football illness list. Williams will miss the season due to blood clots near his heart.
Williams, 30, overcame weight problems to earn a starting job last season and was expected to compete for the starting right guard position this year before he was hospitalized due to the problem. Williams is taking blood-thinning medication for the clots.
"Mike is going to have this year off," Shanahan said. "He'll be released. Any time you're on the blood thinner you can't compete. Mike will be off this season and hopefully in six months he'll take a physical and he'll be able to play. I had a good conversation with Mike today, he's going to live in the area, he is going to try to keep in great shape, he wants to keep playing football and hopefully he'll be able to."
Considered a bust as a left tackle after being drafted in the first round by the Buffalo Bills, Williams revived his career in Washington last year.
After being out of football for two years, the former University of Texas standout lost more than 70 pounds, dropping from about 410 pounds to around 330 last season and eventually earned a starting job at guard. Williams was rewarded with a two-year contract this offseason.
July 29, 2010; 7:53 PM ET
Save & Share: Previous: Haynesworth to take another conditioning test Friday
Next: Clinton Portis: Mike Shanahan hire was a "blessing"
Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: LittleGreenBag | July 29, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Diesel44 | July 29, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: brownwood26 | July 29, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: rmcazz | July 29, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.