Mini Camp Odds and Ends

Shawn Springs was excused from practice today. He was up all night with his newborn son, who is in the hospital with jaundice, and spoke to Coach Joe in the AM. Not sure if he will be out for tomorrow.

LaRon "The Human Target" Landry remains out with the bruised groin he suffered in a paintball game this week. Wasn't out on the field. Still a chance he could be back tomorrow, but I doubt it.

Rocky McIntosh is back at work after missing Friday to be with his wife and newborn son.

Clinton Portis was on the field again today with a helmet and taking some work.

Carlos Rogers, who is reminding me more of Roberto Duran by the day, had a case of the drops during catching drills for the DB. Gregg Williams happened to be standing right there for one slip, chiding, "Catch it, catch it, catch it!" By the team's estimates, there were 9 potential INTs Carlos got his hands on last season that he dropped.

Injured DE Justin Hickman (knee) seemed to be doing more individual work on his own, running with the athletic trainers.

And last but not least, Chris Cooley left the tighty, red-ies at home. He was wearing longer gray shorts that left, thankfully, much, much more to the imagination.

Going back to watch practice now. I am guessing this will probably be it for today - want to get home in time to watch US/Panama in the Gold Cup quarterfinals, but if anything does indeed come up, I will surely do my duty and get it up on this stinkin blog before returned to my regularly scheduled life.

Cheers.

By Jason La Canfora  |  June 16, 2007; 12:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cooley's Shorts Get a Thumbs Up
Next: Justin Skaggs

Comments

Furst

I'm Skippy

Posted by: Skippy | June 16, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TB | June 16, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

damn, not first

Posted by: ngu | June 16, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't like to bash any part of the Redskins organization - but seriously, Carlos needs to learn how to catch the ball.

That annoys me more than anything. It all started in the Seattle game ('05 Playoffs) - ever since then, dude has a severe case of the 'yips'.....

Other than that :

GO 'SKINS!

Posted by: Big Murf | June 16, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Coach Williams, simplicity ... simplicity, if that pourous D Line can't stop the run, then all the linebackers, safeties, and cornerbacks in the world will keep our defense in the hole. Can we get a little pash rush from Carter for crying out loud!!!

Posted by: John Kitchings | June 16, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm Skippy and I have a mental plate in my head and I really really like Lemon Meringue Pie. Ever since I found out my former wife Darlene wasn't a VIrgo, I've wanted to be furst in the wurst way. Yet, now that I finally am here on the Redskins Kebmo Blob, I feel empty and strangely unfulfillment.

I will say a little prayer for Ron Sprungs and his boychild whose name I have forgot but think is Tarpon. .But I have to tell you I think it was wrong for Ricky MacIntosh to change the sex of his baby just because Jason said so, and got it wrong in the first place, which was the last thing any of us wants, may it please the court. At least Rippy was able to cancel the bris and still get his deposit back.

Now I have to go as I am beginning to pick up Radio Marti on my plate and it's hard to consecrate.

Posted by: Skippy | June 16, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

If Rogers isn't catching the ball in DB drills, we should add him to WR drills so he learns to adjust to the ball. Maybe he can run routes for Campbell when Moss etc. aren't around after minicamp.

Posted by: Glass Half Full? | June 16, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Skippy sounds like me last night. After a few shots of tequila, with a few Jaeger chasers, I was pretty much in la-la land myself.

In any event, I think it's cute how some peeps on the previous thread were claiming that Jasno was some kind of unabashed 'Skins homer. It's mini-camp, nothing but puff pieces. We wait until the dropped INTs and passes matter before we pile on the team.

Posted by: P Diddy | June 16, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Thats it. In addition to the nickname double move, Rogers is going to be known as Featherstone from now on at least by me.

Posted by: cdubb | June 16, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Boy, that article about Grrrillliams simplifying the defense is tearing me apart. Relying more on talent alone? It seemed to me that during the last pre-season when we just relied on the talent wasn't pretty.

I hope this new way works.

Posted by: charlie | June 16, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Btw Skippy, how about passing me some peanut butter?

Posted by: charlie | June 16, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey JLC - not to be a jerk or nitpicking but you has a mistake in your article. Should be 04.

Marcus Washington, the Redskins' best linebacker since joining the team in 2006

Posted by: cdubb | June 16, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

+++Btw Skippy, how about passing me some peanut butter?+++

Skippy takes 300 Miligrams of high grade umbrage at having been accusated of pro duck placement here in Kebmo's Blob by the aforementioned blobber of whom I've quoted above.

Skippy IS NOT sponsored by nor does he receive any financial constipation from any peanut butler company or any other pro duck of the goober persuasion, up to and including Jiminy Carter, not to mention Jiminy Glick, so I won't.

Skippy thought of a funny joke related to Chips Cooley wearing Spandex so tight you can tell his religion, Here it goes, I hope you are sitting down. "Hey what is he doing trying to start another fun bunch?"

Speaking of nuts sorry to hear Dah Do Ron Ron Landry got shot in the Pecans.

Pecan pie is good, but not as good as Lemon Meringue, which is Skippy's favorite.

Fondly,

Skippy

Posted by: I'mSkippy95 | June 16, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, I hate carlos rogers. He gets my blood pressure running, what a bust.

Posted by: Skid Marx | June 16, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

skippy, you want some candy?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

ooops. Here ya go, Skippy. You may have some of my umbrage.

Posted by: charlie | June 16, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Skid Marx -- You hate Rogers? Do you really mean "hate?" He's been in the league two years and already he's a complete bust? Not even a partial bust? Or a work in progress? You're harsh, man.

Posted by: KK | June 16, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

What on earth do you do when one of your top two or three corners -- a guy who is going to get a LOT of balls thrown his way in this league -- can't catch the damn ball?

I want to just laugh at Rogers for this, but I can't help feeling a low-grade worry about this develop.

But seriously, hanging nine dropped 'potential' interceptions on the dude? That seems a bit harsh. Seems like just about every ball thrown to your guy (man coverage) or your area (zone) could be considered a 'potential INT'.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 16, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I love Skippy. I am a Skippy fan. More Skippy, please.

Imagine a steady diet of dealer (sans meds), HaikuMan, loco mullin, Bangbros and Skippy up here? That would ROCK. My head might explode.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 16, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

Now that's a new way to think about Skippy. I'll see if it works for me too.

Posted by: KK | June 16, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Wondering if any old-timers remember a corner with a case of dropsy like Rogers'?

Was it that drop in the Seattle playoff game that started everything?

Anyway, isn't it great that the biggest stories we have right now are Cooley's short shorts and two new babies?

HAIL

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 16, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

I thought they said of CB's, "Hell, if he had good hands he would have been a receiver."

I don't think, after two years, that we're ready yet to compare Rogers to the ghosts of CB's past. But, it does seem like catching the ball -- unlike speed or height -- should be a coachable skill.

Posted by: KK | June 16, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, having Grilliams bark at you "catch it! catch it! catch it!" doesn't seem like the best available coaching method, either. Eh, who knows.

Looking for big, show-me-something seasons from Rogers and Lloyd. Rogers is too damn young to be given up on.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 16, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

And by 'big season' I mean demonstrating competence at their respective positions. Come on, fellas, do your jobs. And maybe a bit less of the jibba-jabba.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 16, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Oh, thank goodness, that nice Tiger Woods is getting a chance to lead a major tournament. How swell that must be for him! Hooray!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 16, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Nate,

I once heard of Lombardi (I think) that he coached players to catch the ball by writing a large number on each ball and asking the player to shout the number of the ball as soon as he could read it. That way, he had to watch the ball carefully, right into his hands.

It does seem a better technique than "Catch it."

Posted by: KK | June 16, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Skippy is a weirdo.

GO SKINS!

Posted by: bryan2369 | June 16, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Damn, skippy!

Posted by: bryan2369 | June 16, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Catching a ball is just like throwing one. It's one of the first things you are taught to do in sports. If double move hasn't learned by now he never will. Plus he probably doesn't have time to work on it either because most of it is spent perfecting his dance moves after giving up an 8 yard reception and making a tackle.

Posted by: cdubb | June 16, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Um, winner of the 2004 Jim Thorpe Award for top DB in college fubball? And now he can't catch the ball? How the heck does that happen?

Vexing, ain't it?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 16, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, 75k is my new 'real' goal. Number of comments up here before kickoff on opening day, I mean. That seems more realistic. We can do it.

Just don't tell Cindy I've recalibrated my expectations. It might break her poor heart.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 16, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RockyMac | June 16, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KK | June 16, 2007 03:55 PM

Uh, am i missing something...HE WAS A TOP 10 PICK, those are not suppose to be a "work in progress", they should be starting/making impact from day one (QB's excluded) please explain one element that does not make him a bust so far?

Posted by: Skid Marx | June 16, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

75k? Nate, you're killing me. Is this the kind of spirit that put a man on the moon, or at least in a studio in Jersey, faking a moon landing???

Posted by: Cindy | June 16, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Skid Marx,

Yeah, you are missing something. Hardly any top ten picks "start and make an impact from day one."

Do you remember the other top corner that the Skins were considering in that draft until Tennessee beat them to him? Pacman Jones. That's a complete bust.

Or some of the 'Skins other top ten picks -- Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook, Desmond Howard -- those were complete busts. Jury's still out on Carlos Rogers. He may get it, or he may become a nickel back.

Posted by: KK | June 16, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Come on KK,I gotta go with Skid on this one.You CANT be a top ten pick as a db and not have the ability to catch the ball.Thats unacceptable.

Posted by: dawglbs | June 16, 2007 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Thank you dawglbs, someone with some sense.

Posted by: Skid Marx | June 16, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Pacman is very good player, he just likes to make it rain off of the field.

Posted by: Skid Marx | June 16, 2007 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Skid, daw,

In the draft with Carlos Rogers, two other DBs were top ten picks, Pacman Jones and Antrel Rolle. Both of them were selected before Carlos.

In their two years in the league, Pacman has four interceptions, Carlos has three, and Antrel Rolle has two. And in the third year, Pacman won't have any.

Posted by: KK | June 16, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah KK,but what I didnt see was Pacman or Rolle dropping sure INT'S THAT WERE HITTING THEM IN THE CHEST EVERY WEEK!!!

Posted by: dawglbs | June 16, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Do you know what Doublemove's name is in the Eastern Motors commercials?"The Interceptor".Wow.
Maybe he should switch from Easterns to Nationwide,because everytime he drops a pick,I hear a voice that says "life comes at you fast".

Posted by: dawglbs | June 16, 2007 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Stop ripping on Rogers. Gardner dropped more his first two seasons with the 'skins.

Now I'm concerned Landry will have the ol' Pigskisn carom off his helmet frequently as he keeps his hands in perfect catching position right in front of his crotch.

If Rogers can't catch, might work on him as a Volleyball set up man, deflecting the ball to Taylor.

Posted by: Corkczar | June 16, 2007 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Are those Eastern motors commercials up on youtube somewhere?

I still think the right pair of gloves is all that stands between Rogers having a probowl season and another season of 11 missed interceptions. When was the last time the stick-em rule was tested? The Redskins need to push this boundary like Clemens and HGH. There isn't a new type of rubber glove that will help Ol' Double Move out? Maybe nanotechnology? If Snyder can help anywhere, this is the spot. Make those hands sticky.

By October, Double Move's new nickname should be Magnet Hands.

The man should have his own David Blaine commercial.

Seriously... Danny... put the Tom Cruise doll down, shine that belt-buckle, and get some scientists working on this.

Posted by: mugamack | June 16, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Rogers is in the new Eastern Motors commercial. Believe it is Jason, Randel El, Santana and Willis McGahee - along with Chief Zee.

Posted by: Lisa | June 16, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

X-Men, The Next Generation:

Carlos Rogers - Magneto
Shawn Springs - Spring Man
Sean Taylor - The Reaper
LaRon Landry - The Green Groin

Posted by: Otter | June 16, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

loser

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

So starts the "start Smoot" call

Posted by: 35332 | June 16, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2007 9:41 PM | Report abuse

OK, Rogers has shown a propensity to drop potential interceptions.
Many, or a least someone, have mentioned the old cliche that if he could catch he'd be a wide receiver.
I'd settle for seeing Rogers do a better job in coverage and knock down a few more passes. Better yet, take his guy outta the play a few times and force the pass to another part of the field where Springs, Smoot, or the Reaper has a chance at the INT.
But, what do I know?
I'm just shuckin' and jivin' and tryin' to help reach whatever bloggin' goal Nate and Cindy agree on.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 16, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Any chances springs still gets traded? I say yes.

Just saying

Posted by: 4th via home floor | June 16, 2007 9:57 PM | Report abuse

1) Which team has the best offense?

39.6% Washington

1.8% St. Louis

1.7% San Francisco

1.3% Arizona

1.1% Carolina

1.0% Tampa Bay

0.6% Minnesota

2) Which team has the best defense?

39.7% Washington

1.6% Atlanta

1.5% San Francisco

1.4% Tampa Bay

1.1% Minnesota

0.3% Arizona

0.3% St. Louis

3) Which team will represent the conference in Super Bowl XLII?

39.9% Washington

0.9% St. Louis

0.9% Minnesota

0.6% Arizona

Total Votes: 83,719

Posted by: 4th | June 16, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

4th--

What's the scenario under which Springs gets traded? I can't see anyone willing to pay his salary.

I could still see the 'Skins wanting cap space to sign a big DE, possibly via trade, and cutting Springs to get it.

Springs is shrewd skipping all the OTAs plus now the minicamp. If he's not on the field, he can't get hurt.

Posted by: KK | June 16, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse

I can't see Springs getting traded at this point. It would be slim pickings at CB if we didn't have him. KK, as much potential as you see in Rogers, even you couldn't be pleased with him being the #1 guy, could you?

Posted by: Skid Marx | June 16, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

KK - I don't think it was Lombardi, I read it in an article in this month's ESPN magazine. It was the Head Coach from Hofstra, he got the idea from going to an optometrist.He painted colours on the ends of the ball and required the player to call out which colour was on the end he was catching. This was to help concentration, and for the receiver to keep his eyes on the ball. There was also numbers/letters on each quarter panel at the points, and once the receiver caught the ball he was to call out which symbols he saw, that way he was paying attention to securing the ball once he caught it.

Marques Colston came from Hofstra.

Posted by: kost52 | June 16, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Skid,

No, I'm not in favor of him being number one. Potential's not good enough for the number one corner. But with Springs' injury history he could be number one after, say, the fourth week.

And mind you, I see potential but I agree he's been disappointing so far and unless he steps up, he may end up as a nickel back after his contract with the Redskins. Smoot could make him the nickel this year.

Posted by: KK | June 16, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you should be to harsh on Rogers for dropping the balls, sure we want/need him to make those INT's but in the end, a CB's job is to stop the pass, if he's getting his hands to the pass, and not catching it, it's still a batted down pass, which is much better than allowing a completed pass!

Posted by: kost52 | June 16, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

kost--

Well, I'm very vague on where I heard the story and it's always easy to attribute anything clever to Lombardi. Thanks for laying it out.

Posted by: KK | June 16, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

It was a good point, I read the article and didn't even think about it. It's good when you hear about coaches making an effort to come up with innovative ways to improve their players' skils. Rather than stand next to them and Yell, "Catch It, Catch It, Catch It!"

Posted by: kost52 | June 16, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Any time we can mention the legacy of Vince Lombardi, the third-greatest Redskin coach of the modern era, a man we are so fortunate to have representing us in the Hall of Fame, I welcome it.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 16, 2007 11:03 PM | Report abuse

if anyone has a subscription to ESPN360, there is a video clip of Campbell. didnt get to see it

Posted by: Anonymous | June 16, 2007 11:07 PM | Report abuse

kost, you read espn the magazine down there? Gee whiz. I get the feeling you're more on top of the US sporting scene than I am.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 16, 2007 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Also, I think we are all getting a little to excited about smoot, myself included. If he was all that, skins wouldn't have let him go the first time around and Minn would not have let him go as well. I hope he has the goods to be a good 2nd/3rd CB.

Posted by: Skid Marx | June 16, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Geelong should make quick work of the Brisbane Lions, right kost? (Feeble attempt to have something to say about Aussie footie.)

Go Cats!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 16, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Random request.....If anyone is a ESPN insider subscriber, could you please send a link or cut and paste the lastest Mock NBA draft, the 3rd I believe, thanks in advance.

Posted by: Skid Marx | June 16, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Skid, I agree with that. We're all getting that rosy glow because Smoot is 'one of ours' and most of us loved his personality and hated losing him in the first place.

But didn't his decline in MIN come after the Sex Ship scandal? Seems like he was heading for the door after that no matter what, and of course the coaches and front office wanted him keeping as low a profile as possible since they couldn't just cut him.

Or maybe I'm remembering the sequence wrong because I don't want to admit that maybe at best he's a nickel/third corner at this point. I love Smootie! I want him to start across from Springs.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 16, 2007 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm an ESPN Insider, and the subsricption to the magazine comes free. They have mailing issues though, didn't receive any mags for ages then I got 3 in the space of 4 weeks! haha

Yeah the Cats should win easy today, but I'm still not 100% confident. In the past, when we've looked good, and everyone is giving us a lot of credit, we've had a tendancy to get ahead of ourselves, and take some games off, and lose ones we should win.

Posted by: kost52 | June 16, 2007 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Nate, I liked how you broke up your thoughts into several posts.

Clevah!

I REALLY miss those Eastern Motors commercials-- I still sing that jingle to myself on lonely nights.

Posted by: TDawg | June 16, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

... such as this one.

Posted by: TDawg | June 16, 2007 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Skid Marx -

CHAD FORD'S MOCK DRAFT

#1 Portland
Greg Oden Position: C
Height: 7-0
Weight: 245
Age: 19
School: Ohio State

The skinny: Blazers GM Kevin Pritchard told me in Orlando he hasn't made up his mind yet. Both Oden and Kevin Durant will visit to meet the staff and go through a battery of interviews. But unless Oden raises a red flag somehow, I believe he's the man.

#2 Seattle
Kevin Durant Position: SF
Height: 6-10
Weight: 190
Age: 18
School: Texas

The skinny: Sonics president Lenny Wilkens says he isn't trading the pick. But the same can't be said for the rest of the roster if Durant's the pick. Expect the team to rebuild around Durant.

By the way, after talking to Durant on Thursday, I think it's safe to say that if Portland passes on him, he'll try to drop 50 on the Blazers in their first meeting.

#3 Atlanta
Brandan Wright Position: PF
Height: 6-10
Weight: 210
Age: 19
School: North Carolina

The skinny: In our last mock draft we posited that the Hawks essentially had to take point guard Mike Conley.

Well, the intel out of Orlando is that they are leaning toward the athletic Wright and will sort out the point guard situation with the No. 11 pick.

Wright has one of the biggest risk/reward factors of anyone in the draft. And I'm just not sure how well he fits on a team filled with such similar players as Josh Smith and Marvin Williams.

#4 Memphis

Al Horford Position: PF
Height: 6-9
Weight: 235
Age: 20
School: Florida

The skinny: With Horford measuring out in Orlando at an impressive 6-foot-9¾ with a 7-foot-3 wingspan, any concerns that he might be too small to play the 4 are gone.

This move gives the Grizz some toughness up front and allows them to either move Pau Gasol back to the 5 or trade him this summer.

Corey Brewer and Mike Conley are also possibilities here.

#5 Boston
Yi Jianlian Position: PF
Height: 7-0
Weight: 246
Age: 19
Country: China

The skinny: This is a tough call since the future of the Celtics is so murky. Yi has the most upside at this point but also carries a significant risk that Celts boss Danny Ainge might not want to bear. And with Paul Pierce stumping for immediate help, it might be an unpopular pick.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Celtics traded the pick -- the Warriors and Bulls would like to move up here and grab Yi.

If the Celtics go with Corey Brewer instead, it might mean the end of the Paul Pierce era in Boston.

#6 Milwaukee

Mike Conley Position: PG
Height: 6-0
Weight: 170
Age: 19
School: Ohio State

The skinny: The Bucks likely will decide between Conley and Julian Wright here. With Mo Williams hitting free agency, Conley's a good pick and a better pure point guard prospect in the long run.

Wright would fill a void at small forward and give the Bucks an athletic facilitator in their frontcourt.

#7 Minnesota

Corey Brewer Position: SG
Height: 6-8
Weight: 185
Age: 21
School: Florida

The skinny: The Timberwolves' biggest need is in the frontcourt. However, Brewer's too good to let fall any further. The Wolves could play him at the 2 and 3 and get an immediate defensive boost.

Joakim Noah, Julian Wright and Spencer Hawes are also possibilities here.

#8 Charlotte

Joakim Noah Position: PF
Height: 6-11
Weight: 230
Age: 22
School: Florida

The skinny: The Bobcats likely will go after free agent Rashard Lewis to handle their scoring woes. They also need to improve their rebounding, which is where Noah comes in. Bernie Bickerstaff and Michael Jordan will be fans of his energy and the intensity he brings to the game.

If they Bobcats put him with Emeka Okafor, Sean May and Primoz Brezec, they would have a number of different looks they could give opponents on their frontline.

Besides, Noah projects as one of the most marketable guys in the draft and the Bobcats are still searching for players like that.

#9 Chicago
(via New York)

Spencer Hawes Position: C
Height: 7-0
Weight: 230
Age: 19
School: Washington

The skinny: The Bulls desperately need low-post scoring, and Hawes might be the most offensively-gifted low-post player in the draft.

The team also likes Julian Wright, though he isn't nearly the best fit here.

The Bulls really want Yi, however, so don't be surprised if they try to move up a few spots in the draft to get him.

This pick could also be a target for the Blazers. They'd love to get their hands on Jeff Green or Julian Wright. The Bulls could trade this pick and P.J. Brown (in a sign-and-trade) for Zach Randolph.

#10 Sacramento

Julian Wright Position: SF
Height: 6-9
Weight: 220
Age: 20
School: Kansas

The skinny: With Ron Artest likely packing for a new destination this summer, they'll want to replace his versatility on the defensive end. Wright is not the scorer that Artest is, but he's a better facilitator.

That would be a welcome change for Mike Bibby and Kevin Martin, who both thought Artest controlled the offense too much.

#11 Atlanta
(via Indiana)

Javaris Crittenton Position: PG
Height: 6-5
Weight: 180
Age: 19
School: Georgia Tech

The skinny: If the Hawks go big with pick No. 3, they have to go point guard here ... right? After the Hawks passed on point guards Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Rajon Rondo in the last two drafts, will Crittenton be able to fill those shoes? He's big, athletic and he can shoot the ball, but he lacks ideal quickness and experience.

#12 Philadelphia
Jeff Green Position: SF
Height: 6-8
Weight: 225
Age: 20
School: Georgetown

The skinny: The Sixers really need a power forward, but at this point, Green is clearly the best player left on the board. He's a much better prospect than the small forward the Sixers drafted last year, Rodney Carney. He also could play a little 4 in a small-ball-type lineup.

Green, like Andre Iguodala, has some serious point forward skills and would provide more glue to a team that looked like it was starting to come together in the second half of the season.

#13 New Orleans

Al Thornton Position: SF
Height: 6-7
Weight: 210
Age: 23
School: Florida State

The skinny: With Desmond Mason hitting free agency, the Hornets will look for a swingman to play alongside Peja Stojakovic, who they hope can return to health. Brewer is the ideal fit, but if he's gone I expect they'll try to decide between Thornton and Nick Young.

Thornton is the more NBA ready of the two, though it appears Young might be a better fit.

#14 L.A. Clippers
Acie Law Position: PG
Height: 6-3
Weight: 185
Age: 22
School: Texas A&M

The skinny: With Shaun Livingston's future up in the air, the Clippers need to think about adding another point guard. Sam Cassell can't run the show forever, and Law would be a good replacement.

Like Cassell, he's a scoring guard who is fearless at the end of games. He should be able to step in and contribute immediately.

#15 Detroit
(via Orlando)
Rodney Stuckey Position: SG
Height: 6-4
Weight: 205
Age: 21
School: Eastern Wash.

The skinny: Many NBA scouts raised their eyebrows when I listed Stuckey this high, but I still think he'll be the pick for Detroit. He just seems like the type of player Detroit likes and he's an excellent fit.

Stuckey is a Randy Foye-type combo guard who can play some point but really excels by putting the ball on the floor and getting to the basket. He would be a big upgrade over Flip Murray.

Nick Young and Thaddeus Young also are possibilities here.

#16 Washington

Thaddeus Young Position: SF
Height: 6-8
Weight: 210
Age: 18
School: Georgia Tech

The Skinny: Small forward isn't a huge need for Washington, but Young has too much talent and upside to pass on at this point. Washington fans would just have to be a little patient with him.

The Wizards also like Brazil's Tiago Splitter, but they made a similar pick last year in Olexsiy Pecherov.

#17 New Jersey
Sean Williams Position: C
Height: 6-10
Weight: 230
Age: 20
School: Boston College

The skinny: The Nets desperately need some interior defense and Williams is the best shot-blocker in the draft.

Off-court problems got him kicked off the team at Boston College, but at this point in the draft the reward starts to exceed the risk.

#18 Golden State
Jason Smith Position: PF
Height: 7-0
Weight: 230
Age: 21
School: Colorado State

The skinny: Watch the Warriors closely. They are very high on Yi Jianlian and will try to move up in the draft.

If they can't, Smith is the perfect type of player for Nellie. He is tall and athletic, gets up and down the floor and can score from just about anywhere on the floor. He also plays with great energy. He could be a real sleeper in the draft.

#19 L.A. Lakers

Nick Young Position: SG
Height: 6-6
Weight: 200
Age: 21
School: USC

The skinny: Young is a steal if he slips this far in the draft. He could go as high as No. 8 to Charlotte or No. 13 to New Orleans.

He doesn't fit a need, but it's tough to see the Lakers passing on the local Laker fanatic if he lasts this long. And his shooting ability and athleticism make him a valuable asset.

Don't be surprised if this pick gets moved as part of a trade to bring in another star for Kobe.

If the Pacers were to send Jermaine O'Neal to L.A., for example, you can bet they'd want to grab a shooter like Young.

#20 Miami

Gabe Pruitt Position: PG
Height: 6-4
Weight: 170
Age: 21
School: USC

The skinny: The Heat are hurting at the point. Jason Williams is coming up on a contract year and the Heat prefer to play Dwyane Wade at the 2.

Pruitt is a combo guard who has great size for the point, excellent athleticism and a beautiful stroke on his jumper.

However, the Heat are also a likely candidate to trade their pick.

#21 Philadelphia
(via Denver)

Josh McRoberts Position: PF
Height: 6-10
Weight: 230
Age: 20
School: Duke

The skinny: Sixers GM Billy King loves Duke players, and McRoberts has a lot more talent than his box scores at Duke suggest. He's tall, athletic and very skilled, but he played most of his career out of position at Duke.

He's not a go-to type player, but he should be a better, more athletic version of Luke Walton.

#22 Charlotte
(via Toronto)

Morris Almond Position: SG
Height: 6-6
Weight: 215
Age: 22
School: Rice

The skinny: The Bobcats would fill their need at 2-guard with one of the more underrated players in the draft. Almond has great size for the position and might be the best long-range shooter in the draft.

The Bobcats thought they got outside shooting when they drafted Adam Morrison last year, but Almond is a much better shooter.

This pick is another one that looks like it might be for sale.

#23 New York
(via Chicago)

Daequan Cook Position: SG
Height: 6-5
Weight: 210
Age: 20
School: Ohio State

The skinny: Cook has great upside, but he's not ready. Right now he's a good shooter and athlete, but he doesn't have much of an in-between game.

But the Knicks are looking for perimeter shooting and Cook might just have too much talent to pass up here.

#24 Phoenix
(via Cleveland)

Tiago Splitter Position: PF
Height: 7-0
Weight: 240
Age: 22
Country: Brazil

The skinny: I wouldn't be surprised to see the Suns try to package this pick along with No. 29 to move up a few spots in the draft or to facilitate a trade to get rid of Marcus Banks or Boris Diaw.

If they do keep it, I suspect they'll go international so that they can keep the player in Europe and off the payroll.

Splitter has enough talent to go a few spots higher, but he won't be able to get out of his contract until 2008.

#25 Utah

Derrick Byars Position: SF
Height: 6-7
Weight: 220
Age: 23
School: Vanderbilt

The skinny: The Jazz want to add a shooter who can play the 2 and 3 and play some defense.

Byars is a bit of a sleeper. He really didn't come on strong at Vanderbilt until his senior season.

Italy's Marco Belinelli and Rice's Morris Almond are also possibilities here.

#26 Houston

Glen Davis Position: PF
Height: 6-9
Weight: 290
Age: 21
School: LSU

The skinny: Davis has amazing skills for a big guy -- the problem is that he's just so big. If he can keep his weight down, he could end up being a steal this late. But that's a big if. Workouts will be very important for him.

#27 Detroit

DeVon Hardin Position: C
Height: 6-11
Weight: 235
Age: 20
School: California

The skinny: If the Pistons go with a guard with pick No. 15, you can expect them to add a big man to balance things out in the frontcourt.

Hardin has all the physical tools to be an excellent pro, but is still a long way from contributing. Look for the Pistons to put him on the same two-year development plan that's worked so far for Amir Johnson.

#28 San Antonio

Marco Belinelli Position: SG
Height: 6-6
Weight: 200
Age: 21
Country: Italy

The skinny: As long as Tim Duncan is around to hold down the middle, the Spurs could use some improvement in their shooting in the backcourt.

Belinelli has one of the best pure strokes in the draft. He also comes with great experience in the Euroleague and should be able to step in and help right away.

#29 Phoenix
Rudy Fernandez Position: SG
Height: 6-6
Weight: 172
Age: 22
Country: Spain

The skinny: Suns likely will try to trade this pick, but if they keep it, they'll likely go international.

Fernandez had a breakout season in Spain this year. He's an excellent athlete with a good shooting stroke and the ability to play some point. His lack of strength and durability are the only things keeping his stock this low at the moment.

#30 Philadelphia
(via Dallas)
Marc Gasol Position: C
Height: 7-0
Weight: 265
Age: 22
Country: Spain

The skinny: The likelihood of the Sixers' keeping all three picks is slim ... but if they do, they'll probably take an international player they can stash overseas.

Gasol, the brother of Grizzlies forward Pau Gasol, made huge strides in Spain this year and could be a decent backup center down the road.

Posted by: kost52 | June 16, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Soooo Kost, can you hook me up with the mock draft?

Posted by: Skid Marx | June 16, 2007 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Kost, clearly we were posting at the same time. Thank you.

Posted by: Skid Marx | June 16, 2007 11:55 PM | Report abuse

TDawg, nice effort spreading out the comments!

Great teamwork, kost and Skid!

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 17, 2007 12:07 AM | Report abuse

There is a hilarious billboard in Portland with a big proud Blazers logos and pictures of Oden and Durant. It says something like 'honk once if you want us to pick Oden, twice to pick Durant.'

Which is kind of neat and does capture some of the excitement racing through this beleaguered city (see: Jailblazers) about the draft, but it's also kind of a joke on a bad front office, right?

Like you could see Vinny and Danny having a contest to determine the team's draft pick... as long as they could monetize the contest, of course.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 17, 2007 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Dang, I guess Cindy read my 'recalibrated expectations' comment up above. That wasn't meant for her ears.

If we're at 60k now, after ten months of blogging our freakin' guts out, it just seems so unlikely that we could crank out 40k by September whateverth.

Here's a prediction: I think we'll be celebrating our 100,000th comment up here around the same time we're celebrating the Skins' third victory. Late September/early October.

How's that grab ya?

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 17, 2007 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Hey Jasno, why didn't Gregg Williams comment for the article? Is he giving you and Howard the cold shoulder for the 3-part article last year?

I used to lament not being in DC for the annual carnival of hype and hoopla that was 'Skins mini-camp and training camp, but the new and improved me refuses to get excited about this team until opening day.

BTW, this season will be the first time in 17 years that I won't be at a game in September. I have three weddings to attend that month (shoot me now, please). I would ordinarily politely decline and send a gift in my stead, but amazingly enough, the brides-to-be approved my actual participation IN these shindigs. Again, shoot me now, please. I'm still not sure how I feel about not being able to attend the games (I've already got the hotels squared away with DirecTV so I won't be MISSING any of them, thank God). Watch, this will turn out to be a Super Bowl year, too...

Then again, no better words may be spoken in the English language than "open bar"...

Posted by: P Diddy | June 17, 2007 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Last year, win #3 was in November :-)

Just felt like pointing that out.

Posted by: P Diddy | June 17, 2007 12:35 AM | Report abuse

I love how the Landry groin injury is among the top NFL stories on every sports site. It's a new low (high) in rookie hazing, methinks...

Posted by: P Diddy | June 17, 2007 12:36 AM | Report abuse

FYI...Casey Bramlet's team is playing on the NFL network now, and the ticker on the bottom noted that the skins signed WR Jason Willis ( who the hell is that)

Posted by: Skid Marx | June 17, 2007 12:52 AM | Report abuse

See, Diddy, that's the beauty of my prediction. It's, um, flexible.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 17, 2007 12:52 AM | Report abuse

So Diddy, will you be making up for it by hitting some of the games later in the season?

17 years, man, that's a hard habit to break.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 17, 2007 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Chicago, that's another band which should be banned. "Hard Habit to Break"? Eh, not so much.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 17, 2007 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Willis played for the Oregon Ducks. Decent size, good hands, as I recall, a solid #2 or 3 receiver, but not a star.

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 17, 2007 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Redskin Willie | June 17, 2007 1:32 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if we need a revised total Nate. You've have to think that slowly, we are getting more and more regulars. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that, with the exception of the week leading up to the draft, our posts per week slowly increases on a weekly basis, simply because RI's population is increasing.

Posted by: kost52 | June 17, 2007 2:12 AM | Report abuse

Jasno, Thanks for the Carlos Rogers 'manos de piedras' update.

Posted by: bangkokben | June 17, 2007 2:23 AM | Report abuse

As much as I want Carlos to succeed, it is damn so disappointing to see the drops. The drops would be forgivable if he wasn't aslo known as Double Move. D. Green - God bless him - didn't have the greatest hands either; as Joey T. used to like to say too much, "his hands were on backwards." But you never worried about #28 biting on the double move because if he did he either was going to get back there in a flash or catch the damn WR. Carlos drops sure INTs and gets beat repeatedly by the double move.

Posted by: bangkokben | June 17, 2007 2:25 AM | Report abuse

Cats won well again Nate, we finished last season 10-11-1. This year we're 9-3!

The thing is, that at the end of the season there were people calling for the coach's head, but they held strong, had belief in their list, had a big review at the end of the season, kept the coach, made some tweaks to the game plan, no major off-season changes, and look at what has happened.

Remind anyone of another team I follow?

Posted by: kost52 | June 17, 2007 2:28 AM | Report abuse

Way to go kost.

As for anyone still thinking that Springs should be traded, you are a stark raving lunatic. You might as well trade Chris Samuels too because he makes too much money and isn't the best left tackle in the league. Jesus, you don't get rid of your solid guys because they don't quite meet your expectations. Name me a better corner than Shawn Springs in the NFC East. Just because he played nine games last year dosn't mean shti for this year. He may play his average of 13.2 or a hell of a lot less. Some injuries carry over, some don't. His won't; but he might find a new one. So Portis' shoulder or knee might flair up, Betts and Moss could rediscover their hammy issues. Should you trade them too? Jansen might break a thumb. Injuries are part of the game. You get your best guys healthy and add quality depth. Springs is healthy, and you have Smoot, Macklin and maybe the oft-injured Butler behind him. Sound like the FO is actually in tune on this front.

Posted by: bangkokben | June 17, 2007 2:51 AM | Report abuse

Casey Bramlet leads Hamburg to a spot in the World Bowl.

Posted by: The Crickets | June 17, 2007 3:48 AM | Report abuse

Kost,

I hope you are correct about the increasing base of readers/posters. The only bad part is that you aren't aware of the Washington, D.C. summer exodus phenomenon.

Beginning about now (mid-June, as public schools close for the summer) and lasting until around Sept. 1 (when public school resumes again), on any given week anywhere between 10-20% of the metropolitan D.C. population leaves town to go on vacation. Most of those leaving don't take computers with them, so they won't be posting while on vacation. (Of course, Cindy will be an important exception to this rule.) This summertime exodus is bound to negatively affect the blog post count.

Yes, it does make D.C. seem like somewhat of a ghost town at times during the summer, particularly on weekends. (The most popular Atlantic Ocean beaches are a 3-4 hour drive from downtown, so there is a weekend exodus as well.) It will be interesting to see how much effect it has on the blog.

Posted by: Ocho-Ocho | June 17, 2007 4:08 AM | Report abuse

Ah there was a time when Maryland and Virginia were wonderful wilderness playgrounds for child and adult alike. Now it the place that would have the worst traffic in the US if it weren't for the Metro system. Score one for "24" and the brand new completely unnecessary gigantic government agency known as homeland security. Sheesh it even sounds NAZI like.

There is nothing better than the land of the nine sisters heads above the fog ... long deserted beaches, every type of seal except the walrus, ancient lava pillows piled high like cannon balls.
Surfing off hazard point. And Italian holidays like ferie d'Agosto. NOW that's the right way to start off an exodus out-of-town.

Well at least DC still has the 'Skins and now the Nationals. How GREAT IS THAT. SWEEP the denizens of evil from Ballimer! That's my kind of DC beisball. Now crush the Yankees ... :)

Posted by: periculum | June 17, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse