Defense Tweaked with Haynesworth 'No Space Eater'

In the Redskins' recent schemes (under defensive coordinator Greg Blache and his predecessor, Gregg Williams), defensive tackles for the most part have been supposed to occupy blockers in an effort to help linebackers make big plays. Having linemen fill the role of "space eaters" helped Washington to four top-10 finishes defensively in the last five seasons.

Blache, however, is expected to change his approach with the defensive line because "I'm no space eater," said Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who signed with the team in February. "If I see the ball, I'm going to go after it. All that stuff about maintaining your gaps, I mean, yeah, I can do that, but I have to play the way I feel comfortable. I'm out there to make plays. That's always the way I've been, and that's what I'm coming here to do."

Haynesworth expressed optimism about his early conversations with Blache, and "I think he really wants me to be comfortable," Haynesworth said. "The things we did in Tennessee, that's really the way I like to play. Coach Blache is open to doing some different things, so you definitely feel good about that. But the stuff they've always done, there's still going to be a lot of that. I just know from talking to [some of Washington's other defensive linemen], they've told me they'd definitely like to go out there and make more plays."

By Jason Reid  |  May 1, 2009; 3:22 PM ET
Categories:  Minicamp Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Previous: Portis Finds a Reason to Cancel Minicamp
Next: Skins Take Swine-Flu Precautions

Add Redskins Insider to Your Site
Be the first to know when there's a new installment of Redskins Insider! This widget is easy to add to your Web site, and it will update every time there's a new entry.
Get This Widget >>

Comments

people that comment on JLC's posts are losers first

Posted by: Black706 | May 1, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

This guy sounds pretty motivated

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 1, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I guess for $100,000,000 he better be

Posted by: CheyenneWY | May 1, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Clinton Portis of the defense. Change the scheme to suit him...?

Posted by: hobbes9 | May 1, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Clinton Portis of the defense. Change the scheme to suit him...?

Posted by: hobbes9 | May 1, 2009 3:31 PM

Dumbest post of the day

Posted by: GreatOne1 | May 1, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Clinton Portis of the defense. Change the scheme to suit him...?

Posted by: hobbes9 | May 1, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

That's what the good coaches do -- tailor their schemes to fit the talents of the players they have to work with, especially their best players. Hopefully, someone consulted with Blache about this before the decision was made to give Haynesworth a small mountain of money to come to DC.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 1, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Clinton Portis of the defense. Change the scheme to suit him...?

Posted by: hobbes9 | May 1, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

If they were tailoring their scheme to fit Clinton Portis, he wouldn't be running north and south with power. He use to be quite a shifty back in Denver.

Posted by: narielnasl | May 1, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Hellz yeah, big man, get after it!

Posted by: DCV1 | May 1, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't agree with Haynesworth more. They're paying him massive amounts of money to disrupt the other team's line. Holding the line is what Montgomery or Golston are for. We signed him to get sacks and TFLs and by being disruptive he'll hopefully open up opportunities for our other players to cash in. He'll take up blockers or make the tackle himself just by collapsing the line.

Posted by: manifested | May 1, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"I like Orakpo but with all due respect Truth, that video showed him going against guys who likely won't be playing in the NFL.

Posted by: learnedhand1"

Well he absolutely abused Phil Loadholt in that video, who ended up being a 2nd rounder. I actually thought it was pretty high-caliber competition, particularly Oklahoma and Ohio State (though don't know who he went up against vs OSU).

Posted by: psps23 | May 1, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

CP is just being facetious regarding swine flu and his offensive line. Many on this blog probably reflect his true opinion on things relative to the OL. Management did not just leave Jason hanging they left their favorite son CP hanging as well. What they are left with does not evoke a lot of confidence in anyone. Easy pickings for every defense in the BEAST right now.

Our defense had better learn to score points the way the Raven's does.

Posted by: periculum | May 1, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 1, 2009

Posted by: periculum | May 1, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

So if Big Al doesn't wreak havok this season who are we going to blame...Haynesworth or Blache???

Posted by: kickass10101 | May 1, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

What did you think Jason? The do the same thing in Tennessee, its why his coach there move him to DE on most downs. Its why Orapko will be playing and blitzing from SLB if he can manage to learn the position. Its why they signed Philipl Daniels and Wynn because they knew that was how it was going to work. So, you'll see an awful lot of Montgomery, Golston, and Griffin playing DT just like last year. With Haynesworth and Carter at the DE and, YES SPORTS_MORON, Orapko at SLB blitzing the passer.

Posted by: periculum | May 1, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rbpalmer

I have a feeling that is the reason Blache didn't retire. We'll get Hayney and give you the draft...

Posted by: pabrian2003 | May 1, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 "

he went up against, I believe, Phil Loadholt and Alex Boone. Not sure who the guy from Mizzou is.

Also, been a long day and I'm not going to rewatch it, but I think there were some of him against Louis Vasquez from TTech. That's a pretty good quality.

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kickass10101 | May 1, 2009

Big Al. Blache knows how much money has been invested in giving him to the tools to create a pass rush. He will keep his tackles and play Haynesworth and Carter at DE. That will generate a huge pass rush. Its going to be just like last year except instead of Daniels or Evans it will be Haynesworth in at the DE. They will stunt him with the DT's. Might see Daniels replacing Carter on running downs.

Posted by: periculum | May 1, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Periculum.....Why would Orapko be lined up opposite of Peters on a running down? Is he replacing Carter? Orapko is no smaller than any pass rushing DE in the league and was considered very strong against the run(compared to all the other pass rushing DE's in the draft). We have Daniels and Wynn to stop the run on first and second.

Posted by: SteveK25 | May 1, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Periculum Haynesworth played DT on most downs. He occasionally played DE on passing downs.

Posted by: TWISI | May 1, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Last time I checked the best players on your team (Haynesworth, Portis) are the BEST PLAYERS ON YOUR TEAM.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | May 1, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Blache is no fool--he reminds me a lot of Jim Brown in "Any Given Sunday" as the amazing Montezuma Monroe, a very smart and capable coordinator who is a veritable GOLD MINE of quotable material. Some of his wisdom: "I would rather fall in love with a stripper than a rookie because they will break your heart"

Blache certainly realizes that Haynesworth is a game-breaker when properly utilized (and motivated...which is the big question mark--give the man a payday and will he even bother to try hard anymore?), so he will put the man in the best place to succeed.

Kickass10101: Since you can't exactly "fire" players under contract like you can coaches, Blache gets sandbagged if Big Al doesn't live up to his billing.

Posted by: Crunkenstein | May 1, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Are the best players on Philly THE BEST PLAYERS ON PHILLY?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | May 1, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Blache will know how to use Albert. Maintaining gaps is a lot easier if there are less of them, and when teams double Albert, there will be less gaps.

Having seen that Orakpo video, I like the idea of him blitzing behind Albert. I didn't see Orakpo outmuscling the OTs, it was all speed. I'd like to see what it looks like when Albert creates a seam and Orakpo blows through it. I think (hope?) Orakpo would push around an RB that steps up to block him.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 1, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

"and motivated...which is the big question mark--give the man a payday and will he even bother to try hard anymore?"

It's an understandable question, but given what I've read, I really don't think it applies to Haynesworth.

Dude has anger issues. Serious, blood-curdling anger issues. Dangerous, head-stomping anger issues. Fearful, pole-wielding anger issues. You don't get like that by 'not trying hard'. This man hits a different level when competition presents itself.

And I guess that's why he's worth $100 million.

Posted by: psps23 | May 1, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"Fearful, pole-wielding anger issues."

That's what she said.

Posted by: mrsaun | May 1, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

It will be nice to see a little anger and energy added to the "Nice Guys Finish 4th" Defense on a regular basis. Orakpo can bring his speedy shoes to play SLB, Carter can bring his forklift maneuver, and Haynesworth, Daniels and (insert one revolving DT) can rip apart the interior line and offensive tackles.

Nice.

Posted by: tafka | May 1, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"I'm no space eater." I like that.
Actually, that's why they signed Williams. He isn't playing OT, he's playing DT. Vinny outsmarts the rest of the league, again!

Posted by: groundhogdayguy | May 1, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | May 1, 2009 3:53 PM |

Liked he pancaked all the guys that were running by him for sacks last year.

Posted by: Flounder21 | May 1, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Clinton Portis of the defense. Change the scheme to suit him...?

Posted by: hobbes9 | May 1, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Worst..........post...........EVER!

Posted by: virtueandvice | May 1, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

periculum:

"Loadholt isn't the Eagles new LT Jason Peters. He will probably pancake Orapko more than once they put him at DE on running downs."

Dude, what is your problem? Excuse me, but what guy drafted from college DOES have experience against NFL talent and DOESN'T need to prove himself? Look, signing Haynesworth and drafting Orakpo was probably the best way to counter the moves that the Eagles made on offense this offseason. The only other option would have been to go after offense, i.e. sign James Washington and/or T.J. Houshmanzadeh and draft Michael Oher or Jeremy Maclin. Or they could have been the one to make the deal for Peters, but it would have cost them their 1st round pick, and they already have Samuels at LT. So, maybe they could have been the ones to sign Andrews at RT. Perhaps signing Andrews at RT, getting Laverneous Coles or T. J. Houshmanzadeh at WR, and drafting Oher and/or Maclin would have helped the offense get to the poin where they will be able to keep up with the Eagles.

However, the Redskins used three 2nd round picks on offense last season, and if none of them pan out, then hold the guy who drafted them - and especially drafted them over Eddie Royal and DeSean Jackson, accountable. Had the Redskins taken Jackson in particular, the Eagles don't make the playoffs, McNabb would have been shipped off elsewhere, and Kevin Kolb is their starting QB. Oh yes, and the Redskins make the playoffs instead, Jason Campbell gets his extension, and the Jay Cutler/Mark Sanchez humiliation never would have happens. Or if the Redskins had simply drafted a RT instead of Fred Davis, they likely make the playoffs. But then again, they did draft Chad Rhinehart in the third round last year.

So, the 4 picks to help the offense last season, Rhinehart and the WRs, don't pan out, Zorn is out the door along with Campbell.

Posted by: norcrossman | May 1, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

periculum: "The do the same thing in Tennessee, its why his coach there move him [Albert Haynesworth] to DE on most downs."

What? No they didn't.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 1, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Carter can bring his forklift maneuver*

Mr. "Jumpy" Geathers was the Forklift King. No one else even comes close IMO. He lives just about 30 miles from here btw.

Posted by: lsskinsfan | May 1, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

DUDE- Peters was undrafted out of Arkansas and gave up 10 1/2 sacks last yr. Why do you think the bills were so eager to let him go, franchise LT's dont grow on trees. Orakpo is no small man and he will never have his hand in the ground on a running play playing in Carters LE spot. Go Back to your Philly paper and post about all those Eagles's Championships. Oh wait thats right. Skins 3 & Eagles 0.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 1, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse