McIntosh on Redskins' minicamp: 'It was just time to come in'

Linebacker Rocky McIntosh made his first appearance at Redskins Park since the offseason condition program began March 15, taking part in this weekend's three-day minicamp.

The fifth-year linebacker had skipped the Redskins' first minicamp in April (both so far have been voluntary for veterans) and hinted he was hoping to be traded after the team offered him only a one-year tender as a restricted free agent this offseason. McIntosh was hoping for a long-term deal.

On Saturday, McIntosh avoided talking in depth about his contract situation and was evasive about his intentions past this weekend. Asked what had changed and what prompted him to come to this weekend's camp, which is voluntary for veterans, McIntosh offered little.

"I came to play ball," he said. "It was just time to come in."

McIntosh has yet to sign his one-year tender offer and signed an injury waiver Friday in order to participate in this weekend's camp. Asked if the contract situation would linger for him, McIntosh said it would not be a distraction.

"Nah, it doesn't matter to me," McIntosh said. "I just came out here to ball, to play football. That's what I love to do so I finally get to be here."

McIntosh's presence is especially important as the Redskins transition to playing in a base 3-4 front under new defensive coordinator Jim Haslett.

McIntosh, who until this weekend had been working out on his own, will move inside in the new system. The 2006 second-round pick said he was familiar with some aspects of the scheme because they were similar to those employed by former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

But while McIntosh said he felt he had little catching up to do, Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan disagreed.

"There's a lot of catch-up involved, there's a lot of work involved," Shanahan said. "But Rocky's a sharp guy, he's an experienced guy. He's played well for us. Hopefully him being here throughout the offseason is going to help our football team and help him."

Shanahan also said he expects McIntosh to continue to attend offseason workouts - including organized team activies and the mandatory minicamp in June.

By Paul Tenorio  |  May 8, 2010; 2:57 PM ET
Categories:  Mike Shanahan , Minicamp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: After knee surgery, Santana Moss says he'll be ready by June minicamp
Next: Early buzz on Trent Williams? He's a 'work in progress'

Comments

Frost!

Posted by: beep-beep | May 8, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

glad you showed up rocky. couldn't go on without a weak OLB that allowed us to go 4-12 last year.

he and rodgers exemplify this team's problem more than anyone--nobody knocking down the door for either one of them, but yet they feel the $ needs to be thrown their way.

make plays. force TOs. catch INTs. it'll be amazing how the $$ shows up then

Posted by: fnkyniedls | May 8, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Jreid can pound on him with questions so he feels like a beeotch for coming in without the deal he wanted.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 8, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else wondering why Moss didn't have his knee scoped 6 months ago? This seems odd.

Posted by: zornskins2 | May 8, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

cool, moodly, it's on. I'll think on the moniker. Did you check out the link that Curz posted last thread? Paints a more satisfied 92 kind of picture, less hard journalism on RI...

Posted by: RomoLongballs | May 8, 2010 3:00 PM

excellent! thanks for being a good sport on this.

part of me is tempted to ask RedDMV for advice... if anyone can do it, he might have some sufficiently humiliating ideas to select from, so long as it remains focused on AH, and not my momma.

just read through the AH piece you referenced, although anger management (i.e., head stomping) and reckless driving are two notches against him that weren't mentioned about a dude who "...is just a normal guy underneath it all".

in those respects, he seems pretty middle-of-the-road for NFL players, rewarded for high levels of aggression. and at a certain level, I'm ok with that. but if you've already been rewarded for not backing down (to the tune of however many gazillions of dollars), why should he back down now with Shanahan?

in any case, let's figure out the signatures in a day or two... maybe peeps here will have some ideas, too.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 8, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zornskins2 | May 8, 2010 3:18 PM

ehhhhh....6 months ago, the season was still going on.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 8, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

"It was just time to come in."

MOL... that's what my calves say after I've given them a 10 second warning or risk a time-out in their stall.

sounds like Rocky is just waiting to see if he gets a better offer. good chance he won't, so he's showing up at mini-camp. nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 8, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

maybe peeps here will have some ideas, too.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 8, 2010 3:18 PM

You two have a bet where the loser HAS to change screen names? This seems backwards. It should be that the winner GETS to change screen names.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 8, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | May 8, 2010 11:45 AM

No. Very few fans buy tickets so the cost to most of us is zero. And Direct TV charges the same whether Haynesworth plays for the Redskins or not.

But even for the ticket-buyers you haven't considered the fact that the Redskins are a monopoly. Monopolists set prices based on the demand curve, to maximize revenues, and only partly based on their cost curve. (MR=MC, and Haynesworth is overhead, not a marginal cost.) The demand for tickets (MR) is independent of what they pay Haynesworth, unless you believe that people are willing to pay more for a ticket with Haynesworth playing than otherwise.

Snyder is eating most of the cost of Haynesworth, not the Redskins fans, and his salary is not a "fleecing of Redskins nation."

Posted by: beep-beep | May 8, 2010 12:16 PM
——————————————————————

While I appreciate you economic breakdown and don't inherently disagree with what you're saying, the point to me of it all is the emotional investment put in by the fans.

Sure, I'll watch with or without AH, so the cost for him, according to you, is meaningless. I totally disagree. He gets 1/6th the entire team's salary cap allocation (when the cap is in effect) and affects the overall caliber of players we can get for other roles. That takes with it responsibility to the team and the paying fans, who are expecting to see a quality team.

It's not much different than paying to see a prize boxing match and one of the two comes into the match clearly not caring or motivated to give the fans (the people ultimately paying the fighter handsomely) their money's worth. I would feel ripped off here, too, because I was led to believe these fighters were the best and were ready to show they were better than their opponent, regardless of the circumstances going into the fight.

I do have to pay to watch my Skins since I live out of the area. I know part of my proceeds goes to to the organization and are figured into players' salaries. I expect the players I help to sponsor living lives I may never have, to actually respect this relationship and provide something back.

No! That's not what was advertised. Gimmee my $1.20 back per game, Haynesworth aka Beyatch. Lol

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | May 8, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Hey Everyone,
Yesterday a suggestion was posted regarding what the new uniforms will look like.

Below is a picture of Bobby Mitchell on the Skins back in the late 60's. I would prefer this look to the mustard pants of the George Allen days. How about you guys?

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 8, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"It's even worse for the fans who pay HUGE amounts going to the games, only to find out that the player they were excited to see is out that game (due to poor work ethic). That's like going to see the Rolling Stones in concert, but Mick Jager is sitting this gig out. Too bad for you...you already bought your ticket."Posted by: DC2AZ99"

I don't know that people come to watch individual players at NFL games, unless it's a star QB. You can see them a whole lot clearer on your 48" Hitachi. It's not like basketball or even baseball or golf, where it's easier to focus on the individual.

The price of tickets is absurd, you're absolutely right.

Posted by: Samson151 | May 8, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Gimmee my $1.20 back per game, Haynesworth aka Beyatch. Lol

Posted by: DC2AZ99 | May 8, 2010 3:46 PM

Probably worth $1.20 a game just to know that Snyder is out $40 million and got nothing for it. And, who knows? Maybe that was the straw that broke the Snyder's back and got rid of Vinny.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 8, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beep-beep | May 8, 2010 3:36 PM

Romo wasn't interested in changing his handle, which I understand... so we've settled for a lesser wager involving a humiliating signature related to AH, which the loser will append as a signature to every message for a month.

kinda avoids the beep-beep confusion and stuff.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 8, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

speaking of which, beeps again.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 8, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

kinda avoids the beep-beep confusion and stuff.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 8, 2010 4:02 PM

Sorry about the confusion. Every once in a while I get tired of my screen name. I've had three of them in three years or so of blogging. I'm always open about the changes and have never tried to deceive anyone.

This confusion should not be lumped together with the mess that Chia_Pet brings. He uses multiple handles, sometimes in the same thread, and admits to none of it. He's posed as a black woman -- Risa_L -- to harass Lisa_R and spout racist hate. He's posed as a German Nazi, Rotfrau, again to advance racist prejudices. He's got a couple of other handles -- debaitor is one and he's behind a lot of the other troll handles like monkeymayonaise, blackbagops, etc.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 8, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse