Shaping the roster will continue to be priority in Redskins' next minicamp

The Redskins' first minicamp lasted just three days, but it's safe to say that coaches saw enough to refine their draft-day plans and plot some roster cuts. They'll be studying players just as closely as everyone reconvenes at Redskins Park on Friday for the team's second minicamp.

This one is also technically voluntary -- though mandatory for rookies -- but again, coaches will expect perfect attendance.

One thing the Redskins will be trying to determine: how to fill out the remaining roster spots. Technically speaking, they don't need to add any more players. But they'll certainly continue investigating ways to upgrade.

With Monday's cuts, the Redskins have 75 players under contract; they can carry only 80. If you add Carlos Rogers and Rocky McIntosh -- neither of whom has signed his tender -- that puts the Redskins at 77.

Their six draft picks aren't likely to sign contracts until closer to training camp, but that would eventually put the team at 83. So more cuts will likely be looming, but that won't stop the Redskins from exploring their options.

Last week, they signed four undrafted rookie free agents: UCLA tight end Logan Paulsen, LSU running back Keiland Williams, Liberty defensive end Trey Jacobs and Ohio State safety Anderson Russell.

They'll also host several more players for tryouts at this week's minicamp, which runs Friday through Sunday, to see if they should add to the roster. This group of tryouts is expected to include: UTEP cornerback Melvin Stephenson II, Penn State quarterback Daryll Clark, Troy running back Maurice Greer, Eastern Arizona defensive tackle Marques Slocum, Murray State receiver Derrick Townsel, Massachusetts running back Tony Nelson, Stanford safety Bo McNally, Wisconsin linebacker Jaevery McFadden and Colorado State safety Klint Kubiak.

Some names were originally reported by various outlets as having signed contracts. But the team has only announced the signing of the four undrafted free agents to date, and no more are expected before minicamp opens Friday. Clark, the former Penn State
quarterback, perhaps has the highest profile of the bunch. Initial media reports indicated that he'd signed with the Redskins, though he'll report to Redskins Park this week without a contract, trying to impress coaches enough over three days of practices to earn a roster spot.

Of course, veterans will also be under the microscope. If coaches do like some of the rookie free agents who are trying out, they'll have to figure out a way to create roster space. Veterans who don't perform up to coaches' satisfaction this weekend could find themselves on the chopping block. There isn't a lot of time for second chances -- a
harsh lesson learned this week by former Redskins such as Marko Mitchell, Anthony Bryant Montgomery and Anthony Alridge.

By Rick Maese  |  May 5, 2010; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Minicamp
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Marko Mitchell signs with Detroit Lions
Next: Don Warren, Russ Bolinger out as Redskins scouts

Comments

FIRST to hope that nobody in the "FANS LOVE ME!" category gets cut...wouldn't want the blog to go nuts or anything.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

repost from end of last thread:

pfunk, I don't know of any coach outside of Jim Zorn that will do in-depth why they cut a guy. The only time I've seen a coach do that is if it's a surprise release of a big-name veteran. I'm not sure it's compelling TV for Shanny to stand there and explain why the 7th round pick from last year that caught a whopping 4 passes is allowed to search for work elsewhere.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 9:35 AM

Considering the point of pro football is to be public entertainment for the fanbase, it doesn't stretch credulity that the coaches could share some thoughts about cutting a player that the fanbase had high hopes for and really liked.

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:51 AM

agreed w/ brownwood, and I've said as much before... but I don't think there is anything wrong with JReid or some other scribbler asking Shanahan about it at the next press briefing. doubt that you'll hear much of substance, though. you could also try writing a letter, or join the Marko Mitchell facebook page:

in addition to "The Jamie Foxx Show" he also likes the Washington Redskins. maybe you could help him with a refresh?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 10:08 AM

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

brown, because you and I agreed, and our opinion was different from red's, then we're automatically engaged in some type of s*x act....countdown to the post from red, telling me I had 'relations' with my dad, and that he did my mom..in 5...4...3..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 5, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Repost and edited

Again, it would be better if you claimed Shanahan deemed him not worth the opportunity, because that would be much more truthful.

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 10:04 AM

Posted by: TWISI | May 5, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | May 5, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Ok get your guesses in, vet most likely to not survive roster cuts pre training camp:

my list is sellers, rocky

Posted by: chrislarry | May 5, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

They cut anthony bryant?

Posted by: Stu27 | May 5, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

For the good of the blog, better hope Colt Brennan doesn't get cut.

He's really the only guy that fits this category that I could see getting cut.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 5, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Methinks that Colt Brennan might have the end of his Redskins tenure in sight. I can't see Shanny hanging on to the old coach's development QB if he can find one of his own, unless Colt really impresses. I would think that if a couple of minicamps go well for Daryll Clark, Colt may be in trouble, 'cause I personally don't think Colt will ever pan out to be a starter-quality QB. He certainly didn't impress anyone last pre-season.

Memo to the Colt fanatics: sorry....let the flaming begin.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | May 5, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

But I won't be one of the guys who puts up a dozen posts saying - "They cut him because they looked at the film and decided to cut him".

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 10:07 AM

I don't get why you need more than that. At the end of the day, it's the job of the coach to shape the roster how he sees fit. It's a total waste of time for him to hold a presser to explain himself after every cut just because a segment of the fanbase liked the guy. There's a "Cult of Colt" here, and whether or not you're in that number, based on what you're saying Shanahan would have to explain himself for cutting Colt the same way he has to explain himself for cutting Marko.

Some stuff you're just not going to get answers for. Just like you don't chase down your ex-girlfriend because you didn't get a satisfactory answer for why she dumped you, you don't try and hold Shanny's feet to the fire for cutting a former 7th rounder at the end of the bench.

The only difference between you and I on this issue is that I'm willing to accept that and move on and you'd rather wait outside Shanny's car to confront him.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Sellers needs to revert back to H BAck....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 5, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

They cut anthony bryant?

Posted by: Stu27 | May 5, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Yeah...not sure about that.

I think he meant "Anthony Montgomery".

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

don't know much about this group of players being brought in for tryouts... any dibs on a new "fan favorite" in the bunch? speak now, so that this time next year you can say "I always said they shouldn't have cut Bo McNally!"

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Or even worse:

Shanny and the coaches actually share some info with the fanbase about their team.

I mean that kind of thing would compromise national security.

It's a good thing Shanny and Co. know they can exercise their protected right not to speak in these highly private and confidential matters.

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I knew (moo?) Bo mcnally was going to be the name pulled for a joke!

I will not be shocked if horton gets cut fwiw...

My potential suprise vet cuts pre training camp is now sellers, colt, horton, rocky...

I am just sniffing a Deron cherry vibe from horton...

Posted by: chrislarry | May 5, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

mistamayor

"So more cuts will likely be looming, but that won't stop the Redskins from exploring their options."

This prospect should make the folks at the WaPo happy: that's even more tears to be shed via posts regarding lost fan favs.

And who might the candidates be?

We'll see.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 10:17 AM

Think American Idol. We're in the out-of-town audition phase. We can't even think about "fan favorite" until they go to training camp. Then there will be four pre-season games where we'll get to see them sing for us. Three or four of them will have good songs, although they're only competing against other nobodys. These will be candidates for "fan favorite." One will make the roster. One or two will make the practice squad. And one will be cut. The one who is cut is the "fan favorite" and there will be a week of argument up here over why they didn't keep him, especially if he gets picked up for the Detroit Lion's practice squad. Last year it was Chase Daniel.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

If that cornerback from UTEP has interceptions in each of his preseason appearances, he'll be on my "fan favorite" list...

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Well then in that scenario double beep chase daniels you are the next American idol!!!!! From no chance to psquad to superbowl champion in a long shot rookie season.

Posted by: chrislarry | May 5, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

p1, how often do coaches give explanations as to why a guy that had 4 catches the year before are cut?

I don't think this is him being secretive, it's what any other coach in the league would do.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 5, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

beep beep except for red, who should report to the lions/marko mitchell blog....give it a rest...if you don't get that Shanny is different than gibbs, and that BOTH guys know more about football, and football players, then you're galactically stupid....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

And you should report to "How I can be more of an intolerbale sarcastic pr*ck today" blog.

So NOW Gibbs is different than Shanahan. Funny, if I recall correctly when Gibbs was coach here, any move he made you quickly defended it.

So, whoever is the coach of the Washington Redskins (if they have rings) shouldn't under any circumstances be questioned or challenged? They are outside the realm of just questioning?

You truly are a fu_king dipsh*t, Greg.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for the running back from UMass. Local kid, went to Northwest High School. I tutored him when he was a senior in hs, good kid. I hope he gets a shot.

Posted by: prc805 | May 5, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Think American Idol.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 10:24 AM

very true... but I doubt that three or four of these guys even make it to camp, much less pre-season. maybe the new fan favorite is already in the house. could it be Perry Riley or Terrence Austin?

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Coltists? They still have those?

I mean, I like him, but what is he really offering the team? Not much.

cL's list works for me. I wouldn't mind seeing Rogers on there, necessarily, but with his physical attributes, methinks they'll want something in trade for him.

Surprise dark horses: Crisco & Stimpy?
If CPo doesn't show up BIG, I could see that happening. I also think Hanesworth could be made an expensive example of. Both especially due to Redskins' having absolutely no bargaining power. Look what happened with Soupy.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 5, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 5, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Need to follow the posts, brother...

Hyperbole aside, the discussion had to do with the fact that Marko Mitchell was a very popular fan-favorite and one of the young bright-spots on the team that was awesome in preseason last year when he was getting consistent opportunities.

Football is about providing entertainment to a fanbase.

If the fanbase likes a guy a whole lot (and the fanbase really liked Marko), it's not incredulous to want/expect a coach to share a few thoughts about why the dude got cut.

It's not like I'm wondering why they cut James Robinson...

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

First, but not last to say that I hope that anyone that thinks differently than Beantowngreg1 or brownwood26 doesn't actually doesn't come out and say it.

Otherwise, they'll act like a Virginia Men's lacrosse player and beat your ass to death over it.

"You WILL respect my thinking **eye punch** You WILL get in line with I and Lord Shanahan's thinking and way of going about things **face smack** You WILL NOT EVER question the moves or philosophy of Shanahan or ourselves **shin kick** You WILL agree on whatever I say to agree on or I'll rip your fu_king eyes out.

**eye gouge**

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Pro wrestling is real, people are fake.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 5, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 10:20 AM |

Because p1funk's need to know should override all considerations of the player's future. Do you really think that Marko or his agent want Mike Shanahan to go on television and list all the reasons that he didn't make it with the Redskins? "He's lazy. He can't run routes. He's never where he's supposed to be...." Or do you think maybe Marko would be better off having a fresh start somewhere else without all this background noise?

If Marko wants to tell the reason he was released, then he can tell them. Go ring his bell and ask for information. For Shanahan to rat the guy out would be an unethical low blow, regardless of how much pleasure it would give "the fan base."

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers and Rocky McIntosh are playing a losers game.

They have no leverage and they will wind up crawling back once they realize they won't get payed.

Be a man--sign the damn paper on your terms

Posted by: byrdinthesky | May 5, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Daryll Clark will promptly replace colt as 4th quarter preseason cant miss superstar...

Posted by: Stu27 | May 5, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | May 5, 2010 10:28 AM

And all without ever even taking a snap in a regular season NFL game!

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I know I would need to towel off if shanny explained his thinking re: Mitchell....don't bogart that jergen skins fanbase!!!

Posted by: chrislarry | May 5, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | May 5, 2010 10:42 AM

honestly, this one wouldn't surprise me.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I am assuming Klint Kubiak is Gary Kubiak's kid, a little Houston connection therr.

Posted by: Stu27 | May 5, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Didn't chase get mop up time in the saints 16th game? Either way yeah chase won the rookie 3rd string qb lottery

Posted by: chrislarry | May 5, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

p1, it's not even a question of why with me. I sort of understand the reason why Mitchell was released.

Understood and duly noted.

What gets me is that you can't disagree with Coach "Lord of Lords, King of Kings" Shanahan. No... not even so much disagree, but just QUESTION without getting met by the "RI Henchmen Two-Man Gang".

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Pro wrestling is real, people are fake.

Posted by: Diesel44 | May 5, 2010 10:38 AM

Link please? This sounds too much like something that BeantownGreg1 copies off "PFT."

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | May 5, 2010 10:46 AM

I checked his stats in NFL.com and they show him with 0 games.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The pro wrestling fans "it's real to me!!" YouTube clip is the greatest viral video of all time for me. To see an adult male crying to never was pro wrestlers in some backwater high school gym is comedy gold...sorry no link bc I am on my phone....

Posted by: chrislarry | May 5, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 9:51 AM

Perhaps not, but the coaches' position on this may be, "We already cut the guy, why embarass him further by broadcasting to the world what his shortcomings were?" It would be kind of like adding insult to injury, and might, in some cases, make it less likely that the player would catch on with another team. Now you hope, at some point, that someone told these guys privately what the coaches' issues were, and what they needed to work on. But I can understand why no public pronouncements have been made.

Posted by: rbpalmer | May 5, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Need to follow the posts, brother...

Football is about providing entertainment to a fanbase.

It's not like I'm wondering why they cut James Robinson...

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

No, I followed the posts. Popular or not, it's not common practice for coaches to give a detailed report about why players in MM situation are cut.

If I had to guess why he was cut, I'd say route running and limited football knowledge/instinct.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 5, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

WOW!

Marko signed with a team faster than TO, and all the other great receivers still out there.

Does this tell you something Shanny, about your dumb ass moves!

This is going to be a horrible regime... mark the words of Sports_Guru!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 5, 2010 10:37 AM

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 5, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Nobody is asking for a presser on why they cut these guys, and nobody is on suicide watch. Some of us are just curious as to why. It’s not out of the realm of possibilities for (if they ever get the chance) Maese or Jreid or any of the Wapo guys to ask Shanny why they cut MM, especially after they ran that poll that showed how much the fanbase wanted to see MM on the roster. Sure, he probably wouldn’t say that the guy was terrible, but he might lend some insight like “we felt that we had enough tall receivers and rated him as the lowest”, or maybe he didn’t run the short/intermediate routes like we wanted….whatever. We aren’t “demanding” answers. The fact is that everyone up here has favorite players and will be bummed if/when they get cut. I will be pissed if they trade AH. I’m just a little bummed that they cut MM. If you “root for the uniform, not the player” and “it’s a business” guys are so stuck to this that you don’t have favorite players, than more power to you, and you are just too cool for school. Some of you act as if we should be on suicide watch when it’s really not the case.

As usual, as soon as I hit submit on this there will surely be some one-timer who makes a comment of how we are now totally screwed, so I am obviously not speaking on their behalf……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 5, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Maybe with this new VP for Public Relations they'll prepare a press release for each guy they release to explain the coaches' thinking to the fan base. They can use the same press release for each player:

"[Insert name here] was released today because the coaching staff thought the other players on the roster at his position were better than he was. We are grateful for his contributions as a Redskin and wish him success in his future endeavors in the NFL or elsewhere."

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

there you go red, you and guzu on the MM island...enjoy...hahaha...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | May 5, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

In 2 years this roster is going to be drastically different. GUys perform, they'll get paid and kept around. If they don't perfrom or toe the company line - c ya later. Shanny will not fall in love with any one individual just because of fan popularity or a contract. On the other hand he will not dump a guy just because fans wish it. Everyone gets a fair shot. The ball is in the player's court. I think Sellers is done. His blocking skills have greatly diminished. Either Horton or Doughty are cut. A couple receivers, maybe even Moss?? Todd Yoder loks to be on the outs from all the extra TE the've brought in. It will be interesting to see. Sit back and enjoy, and trust.

Posted by: scoot21 | May 5, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Sports;

I think it is pretty obvi why he signed quicker than TO.

Old, over paid, malcontent with a reality show on VH1

vs

a young potential WR for low money who will most likely work to make the team...

oh and that team was one of the worst last year, so they prolly dont want a divisive force in the locker room.

Posted by: Zeebs | May 5, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 5, 2010 10:52 AM

Come on son. GTFOHWTBS. You have to know there is a big difference between signing Mitchell and signing a TO or other vet guy that is unrelated to talent or production. Plus TO is finished as a starting WR and he is not likely to accept a backseat role on any team, especially one with a superstar wideout already. Why take on that headache?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 5, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

uh folks, I think Rick Maese erred in his blog.

I think he meant Anthony "Montgomery".
Good day everyone!

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 5, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I tend to be a playa lover and have a hard time with uni over player...but with how bad this team has been I just want to be watchable at least so I have sort of divorced myself from attacment to players...of course that can change if we start knocking the snot out of some teams....

Playas I do like: portis (sue me), Cooley, Gholston, Lorenzo Alexander, dockery, Fletcher, daniels, orakpo, and Wilson

If these dudes were gone....I'd cry baby a bit

Posted by: chrislarry | May 5, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

RedDMV, it seems to me the only one going nuts on people who don't agree with him is you. Like I said, you and I have agreed on a variety of topics in the past...I don't get why you feel the need to get all abrasive the first time we disagree.

I've disagreed with Greg and mixed it up with him many times before, so it's not like we fall in line together on everything. We're talkin' Skins, dude...no need to lock and load and go to war over it, man!

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Sports;

I think it is pretty obvi why he signed quicker than TO.

Old, over paid, malcontent with a reality show on VH1

vs

Posted by: Zeebs | May 5, 2010 10:56 AM

I agree 100%. Although, they are not hurting at wide receiver. Calvin is a beast and Stafford is a stud.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Marko Mitchell burn our double move secondary badly this year. While we've been busy cutting talent, we've also been busy not signing secondary improvements. Our secondary is going to be disgusting this year.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 5, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

scoot;

yoder was not offered a contract from what i remember.

cooley talked about friends not on the team and mentioned 'Yodes', his best friend.

Posted by: Zeebs | May 5, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

To think that anything Shanny might say about Mitchell would impact his likelihood of catching on with another team is silly.

I can't see Martin Mayhew suddenly releasing Mitchell because Shanny said he didn't like his route-running (if that is the issue).

What's wrong with this question?

"Coach, Marko Mitchell had become a popular player last year and had some really impressive preseason performances. Obviously he lost out in the 'numbers game' moving forward this year, but can you share any thoughts on the thinking there?"

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1

And there you have it folks.

Yep, in this day in time it's morally fallacious to have "favorite players" and to challenge any coach with "hardware" **no rainbow** or anyone that agrees 100% ALL THE TIME with their course of action.

Boo favortie players.
HU-RAY Mike "Lordy" Shanahan.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

*ducks head in*

More of same...

*ducks out*

Happy Cinco de Mayo. Y el cumpleanos de Rypien1191.

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 5, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

T.NO!

Posted by: casavaLeafs | May 5, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | May 5, 2010 10:46 AM

He is. I think Russ Grimm's kid got a gig with Carolina too.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"If I had to guess why he (MM) was cut, I'd say route running and limited football knowledge/instinct."

I'd say he was cut because the coaches had that perogative just as they do with any other player.

Again: talented, hard-working guys get cut everyday.

Move on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Any fan of Marko Mitchell should not want Mike Shanahan announcing what Mitchell's perceived shortcomings are at a press conference.

Posted by: CommieX | May 5, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

UCLA tight end Logan Paulsen:
I am also assuming that not one single person is rooting for this guy to make the team. Although we could use a dynamic pass catching TE...

Posted by: Stu27 | May 5, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

What's wrong with this question?

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 11:02 AM

Nothing wrong with asking the question. What's wrong with this answer:

"We watched him carefully because he was one of the best last year with his four receptions, but frankly looking at his skill set, our needs, and the other players on the roster, we didn't think there was a realistic chance for him to make the team and we would like him to have a good chance somewhere else. We were real pleased to see that he has caught on with Detroit and we hope he has a good future there."

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I'm with Red on this one. Shanny has no ties to the burgundy and gold tradition in my book.

Shanny needs to put up, or shut up. Until I see a "W" followed by several other "W"s, the jury is still out.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 5, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Guru;

As I see the secondary, we will not be playing as much man coverage with over the top safety or one on one safety (see landry being burnt on single coverage double moves)

I see zone, with route jumping (hence the more turnovers talk)and quarters or halves coverage from the safeties.

So less susceptibility to double moves since one under, one over. Plus the pressure from a 3-4 confusing the oline, getting to the QB and making him rush the decisions.

Hall will flourish in this type of system. Landry and horton will be moving to the ball (see hortons big game in Dallas his frosh year, underneath coverage on Witten baiting the throw) in the air instead of jumping perceived breaks in the routes (i.e. double moves)

Posted by: Zeebs | May 5, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Not because i am some uber Coltist (i got to Hawaii after he left), but because I think the Shanny's will be intrigued by what Colt brings to the party.

I'll honorably admit how horribly wrong i was should it come to pass. Until then, I'll keep watching what gets said and done at the Park.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 5, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I wasn't saying get rid of CPo!

I was saying the FO might, given their stance on him and the acquisitions.

My main hope is that Clinton gets his shti together and shows up big in training camp.... without exploding his shoulder, or any other parts.

I think he's about where McNabb is in longevity. Hopefully it pays off.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 5, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Actually until games start getting played the jury isn't even in session...

Posted by: chrislarry | May 5, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

UCLA tight end Logan Paulsen:

Posted by: Stu27 | May 5, 2010 11:08 AM

I went back and looked at some UCLA games on ESPN 360. Paulsen is good. I think he'll be on the practice squad unless he becomes more consistent with his blocking.

Posted by: TWISI | May 5, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Guru;

Posted by: Zeebs | May 5, 2010 11:09 AM

I really hope you're right. I just wish we had picked up some more secondary folks.

Any word on Kevin Barnes progress?

Posted by: Sports_Guru | May 5, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

What's wrong with this question?

Posted by: p1funk | May 5, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Would be a fair question, and probably one that gets asked at some point. I think you'd get generic answer though.

Kind of like asking NBA coach at half how they plan to stop Player-x

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | May 5, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Actually until games start getting played the jury isn't even in session...

Posted by: chrislarry | May 5, 2010 11:12 AM

"We can't hang this man without a trial. Let's give him a fair trial and then string him up."

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 5, 2010 11:11 AM

hey Kaneohe, agreed that Colt gets a thorough inspection. but at least for the time being, I'm also on board with the idea of Daryll Clark being the most likely to survive auditions this weekend, followed by the imminent release of Richard Bartel, thus giving us four QBs in camp.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Nothing wrong with asking the question. What's wrong with this answer:

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 11:09 AM

Nothing at all. But somehow I think there's no answer that will really satisfy pfunk or Red because they obviously want Marko here, period.

My suggestion would be to pick guys a bit higher on the depth chart to fall in love with. It'll hurt a lot less in the end.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"I'm going on record that Colt gets a good hard look from the Shanny's, and I think Colt represents their "guy they can raise"."

'Raise' Colt Brennan?

What is he, the Titanic?

The more likely scenario is D Clark catching on as he's more versitile.

Too, even more likely is the team snagging a 1st round type quarterback next Spring as the pickings will be much better than last month's was.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

"Think American Idol. We're in the out-of-town audition phase"

Which one is the pants-on-the-ground guy?

Posted by: Samson151 | May 5, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

If I made a list of the most condescending d_ickheads on the blog -beantowngreg, chrislarry, and the cork to name a few- would the majority of them be republicans or democrats?

Posted by: Debaitor | May 5, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

idk about barnes since nothing leaks out. he wasnt cut, so all we can suppose is that he looked good enough working out and walking through drills without pads to stay on another week.

but I dont need to see every position improved in one year.

building a team takes time, no real FA's this year, they got a starter at three positions between the draft and trades (williams, mcnabb and DL from rams).

We still need another MIKE, possibly a WLB and more o line.

At this point we are not gonna bring in any game breakers, so our main starting 22 are in camp.

They will have to 'coach em up'...

Posted by: Zeebs | May 5, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Debaitor | May 5, 2010 11:23 AM

Two things wrong here: 1) rankings on this blog don't end well and 2) talking politics on a Redskins blog. The blog's already on fire, dousing it with gasoline helps no one.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

If I made a list of the most condescending d_ickheads on the blog ....

Posted by: Debaitor | May 5, 2010 11:23 AM |

The majority of them would be you and your various handles: Chia_Pet, Risa_L, Rotfrau, monkeymayonaise, etc.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"I could go on and on about how JC should still be here to be a backup. I could rail on Shanny for cutting Rock Cartwright and not having a "big-time talent" here to return kicks. But those guys are former Redskins now and we roll with the guys we've got. We root for the uniform. The only time I got upset over a Redskin getting released was Stephen Davis back in the day. If you get yourself wrapped up in certain players, that's you're right. Just don't expect the rest of us to share your outrage, especially when the guy never had better than a 50/50 chance of making the roster to begin with."

This misses the point. It's not about being upset because a certain player we liked was released. It's about being upset over a perceived mistake that franchise made (or could make).

Some people perceived the Mitchell release to be a mistake.

And mistakes happen all the time, with every franchise, no matter how successful.

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 11:19 AM

Brownwood, you do realize that none of us are going on and on about how they shouldn’t have cut him. We each said that we were disappointed once (maybe twice) and then have been going back and forth and back and forth only because we are defending our opinions, which are apparently deemed stupid by some. And for the record, I am “over it”….I was disappointed to hear that they cut him and am just curious as to why….that’s it.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 5, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Who didn't know the Times Square bomber would turn out to be a Muslim?

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | May 5, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | May 5, 2010 11:27 AM

barring a catch with the only trade bait we have (AH), this sounds about right to me.

Posted by: moodlymoodlymoo | May 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Moe, i used blogowner speak in reference to shanny's view of Colt. All jreid did predraft was hype shanny grabbing a qb of his own he could "raise".

I'll buy Dclark getting a camp spot over bartel for a hamburger.

I'll stick w Colt being "the young guy" over Dclark.

Def agree with them taking a shot on another qb next spring... should all 3 not named dmac or sexy crap the bed and fail to impress.

This is clearly colt's last rodeo. Its put up or shut up. I think he puts up.

We'll see.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | May 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"Who didn't know the Times Square bomber would turn out to be a Muslim?"

I will admit that I didn't, even though they say the food at the local Arab market is the bomb.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 11:19 AM

Nah, they're coming from different places. Red is righteous -- doesn't care why they did it, he just disagrees with the decision. funk, dlhaze, etc. just demand an explanation. They think the Redskins are a government organization that should be accountable for their decisions and should explain them to "their fanbase." They will run all over Marko's interests in order to find out why he was let go.

How about this -- if you want to know why Marko was let go, call him and ask him. If he makes it in the league some day he'll actually say "I agree with their decision. They said that... . Obviously, I've proved them wrong."

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | May 5, 2010 11:14 AM

This is what I thought about Robbie Agnone last year. Got to watch him play at UD and hoped he would catch on with the skins. Didn’t happen though. I think they are just too loaded at TE we’ll see. Oh wait, I probably shouldn’t have said that. It must seem really stupid of me to have been disappointed that a guy I liked didn’t make the team.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 5, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

What's the big deal with the growing National Debt ?

Is anything REALLY gonna happen if we never pay it off ?

Can anybody provide a truthful answer to that ?

Posted by: Debaitor | May 5, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

From my angle, coaching and scheme can make talent or bring out talent.

Last years team under shanny to me would go around 8-8. i am still amazed with the admissions of zorns failings as a game planner and offensive scheme, he won 11 games in two years. kinda speaks a little to the talent that is on the roster.

So then take the + and - between last years roster and this years and I think that puts us above .500, but maybe only one game since our sked is 8th hardest according to NFL.com

For a 1st year rebuild, with little draft picks and no quality, money smart FA's out there, that would be a pretty good feat.

Posted by: Zeebs | May 5, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

"If he wasn't worth the opportunity he'd been cut with the JD Solinsky's of the world. Armstrong is a WR the Skins picked up late in 2009 who beat Marko out for the right to join the Skins in their training camp this year.

Posted by: TWISI | May 5, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse"

I don't think you're grasping my argument that a 3-day minicamp is not an opportunity to show what can be done in the offense.

Let me put it this way: if Terrence Austen gets cut on Tuesday following this weekend's minicamp, I highly doubt you'll be on board with saying he was given the opportunity to succeed with this team.

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

If I made a list of the most condescending d_ickheads on the blog ....

Posted by: Debaitor | May 5, 2010 11:23 AM |

Good luck see ya in a few years when your done.

Posted by: Stu27 | May 5, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Debaitor | May 5, 2010 11:34 AM

The national debt means nothing. EVERY country has national debt, which shows you that it has no tangible worth.

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 5, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

If I continue posing questions that require thought, how many pansies will I run off the blog today ?

Posted by: Debaitor | May 5, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 5, 2010 11:36 AM

If you believe that then you don't live in Greece, or any of the other European countries that are being asked to bail them out.

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

If republicans are pro life, why do they start wars?

Posted by: Debaitor | May 5, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | May 5, 2010 10:46 AM

Yes ... but the UDFA free safety from Ohio State gets better buzz.

Posted by: dcsween | May 5, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Debaitor | May 5, 2010 11:34 AM

Posted by: Rypien11 | May 5, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Or China will continue to purchase our debt making us owe them money and further devaluing the dollar.
Funny question today because that debt accrues interest.......the war of the French on Mexico that started the Cinco de Mayo celebration after the battle of Pueblo was over interest payments not made on a debt.........

Posted by: rupertpupkin | May 5, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Which one is the pants-on-the-ground guy?

Posted by: Samson151 | May 5, 2010 11:23 AM

Why Joey Galloway of course. He's too old to make the final 53.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 5, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

psps23 and dlhaze,

We all agree that we're disappointed to see Marko go. The difference is I wouldn't call it a "mistake". We have no idea what Marko is. He could get cut by the Lions next week to get their roster down to 80 and never catch on another roster. He could go on to be a solid starter, like Keenan McCardell. But here, now, today--WE DON'T KNOW. You can't call this a mistake until Marko shows something to prove that cutting him was a mistake.

There's the disconnect. Some of us are taking him for what he is: a former 7th round pick with more potential than production to his credit and a guy nowhere near the top half of the roster. And you guys (among others up here) are projecting what he COULD be based on his measurables and your like for him. Neither side is right or wrong here; the only thing wrong is declaring this a loss before there's even a body of work to judge him on.

Hope that clears up my position.

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Debaitor | May 5, 2010 11:36 AM

Pansies are peeps who come up here and refuse to talk football ... (not that there's anything wrong with that).

ITA

Posted by: dcsween | May 5, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 11:35 AM

You love to rep the less talented. There are three 18 y-os in DC Jail who could use someone like you right about now.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 5, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 11:35 AM

And you'd be wrong about Austin. If they cut after this weekend, I'd think they mad a mistake in drafting him because he obviously can't play at this level for this scheme at this time. As for MArko, first of all, It's been more than a three day minicamp. The coaching staff and FO has been in place for awhile. They have seen MM run the routes they want in this offense even if it is just pitch and catch with D McNabb. Marko himself said he needed to work on getting out of his breaks the way the coaches wanted him to. They have seen the way Marko studied the play book. The minicamp confirmed to them that Marko couldn't help the team at this time..that this all. They felt Armstrong had a better chance of making the team than Marko, that is way they released Marko. Could Marko help another team in a year or so sure. I wish him the best with the Lions or whatever team he ends up on. I think he has a chance to be a player in the league. But if the FO and coaching staff thought Marko was dead weight as far as helping this team this year, then so be it.

Posted by: TWISI | May 5, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 5, 2010 11:47 AM

Only three?

Posted by: beep-beep | May 5, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Brownie, I can’t speak for the others, but I never called it a mistake. I pretty much agree with your position. PSPS, P1 funk and I are not in the “sky is falling” crowd. I said I was disappointed and curious as to why. I liked him/his potential and hoped he would have stuck around. That’s it. At “worst” I might have said that HOPEFULLY it won’t come back to bite us…..

Oh and Beep beep, you really need to re-read P1funk’s 9:24am post this morning. Might enlighten you a little bit. But then again it probably won’t.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | May 5, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | May 5, 2010 10:46 AM

Yes ... but the UDFA free safety from Ohio State gets better buzz.

Posted by: dcsween | May 5, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I gotta say im rooting for this guy. He has been a long time contributor to a very winning OSU program. I remember him beastin out against Texas in the fiesta bowl season before last. Picked of Colt and simply dropped Shipley on nasty hit.

Posted by: Stu27 | May 5, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

So, what's the receiver depth for now?:

S Moss

M Kelly

D Thomas

T Austin

B Wade (?)

J Galloway (?)

A Armstrong (?)

(?)

Moe goes with (?) as the fifth receiver.

Again, I'd use F Davis as a receiver, and completely change the complexion/dynamics of the whole group.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Debaitor
____________________________________________
Could not disagree more.
as a Skins fan for 40 years, I have strong opinions and I state them strongly at times.

But I have not found Chrislarry and greg to be dh's.
There are others on here who clearly are dh's. They resort to personal shots when they cannot reason adequately.

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | May 5, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

LH, I'll always be for the underdog I see potential in.

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Debaitor | May 5, 2010 11:36 AM

None. I will counter them with references to nonsensical deodorant commercials.

Block! Block! Building Kick! EX-PLO-SHUN!!!

Posted by: Original_etrod | May 5, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I still see davis as TE, starting!! and cooley reverting back to H back and bye bye to sellers.

I dont know how much a true fullback is used in WCO (usually more of a running and catching threat than just a blocker). Sellers cant run and can catch, but is not fast.

Cooley cant run, can catch and is fast.

makes a little sense to me.

Posted by: Zeebs | May 5, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Pierre Garcon and M Colston are both proof that school pedigree has nothing to do with wide receiver ability--something someone should also tell the scouts.

POSTED BY: MistaMoe

'skins picked up TWO receivers from UCLA, which is located in beautiful downtown Westwood CA. If YOU'RE a scout, would you rather spend time there in Westwood, or in East Buhfungoo, Idaho, catching a Division IV game?

But in truth, for all the smaller schools playing football, the fact that you can come up with only two major success stories from their ranks, makes more of a point against your argument.

Some slip thru the major college scouting system, and play at smaller schools, and then make it big in the NFL. But logically, the overwhelming majority come from big time programs, where they get the coaching, and play against better competition.

Posted by: TheCork | May 5, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me, Shanahan's theme so far is "out with the old, in with different old"

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 5, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

If republicans are pro life, why do they start wars?

Posted by: Debaitor

I'm trying to understand how you want to generate more fuddaball chatta with specious rhetorical questioning.

Perhaps the first deba(i)te you need need to have is with yourself.

'Cuz if you do, you'll see you're the only pansy here that needs to be pulled.

Posted by: MistaMoe | May 5, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha dlhaze, sorry for the mix up.

For anyone that's interested in REALLY time stealing today, SI.com has a pretty in-depth look at Big Ben and his shenanigans...looks like the only one on his side at this point is his agent:

Posted by: brownwood26 | May 5, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

If Leigh Torrence drew Marko Mitchell in man-to-man coverage, who'd get the better of whom?

Posted by: closer44 | May 5, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | May 5, 2010 11:49 AM

re-read my post. Sorry about the typos. Multi-tasking

Posted by: TWISI | May 5, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

If we are going to go old at wr how about Marvin Harrison and T.O.?

Posted by: coparker5 | May 5, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

debaitor;

you next sentance should be

If dems are against punishing criminals with the death penalty, why are they for the killing of innocent life with abortion?

Posted by: Zeebs | May 5, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

So, what's the receiver depth for now?:

S Moss

M Kelly

D Thomas

T Austin

B Wade (?)

J Galloway (?)

A Armstrong (?)

(?)

Moe goes with (?) as the fifth receiver.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Sounds like Austin makes the roster as a return guy. If he wins that job, he's the 5th WR. Doesn't seem likely he'll grab a WR spot without the return spot.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | May 5, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

A guy who gets drafted and spends a year with the team is not an underdog entering the next season if he can play. Whatever potential you saw (Where did you all see this potential anyway?), apparently did not bubble up to the coaching staff. None of us saw enough of this guy to question the judgment of people who evaluate players for a living and whose jobs depend on the player's performance.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | May 5, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Beep

Posted by: Zeebs | May 5, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

"There's the disconnect. Some of us are taking him for what he is: a former 7th round pick with more potential than production to his credit and a guy nowhere near the top half of the roster. And you guys (among others up here) are projecting what he COULD be based on his measurables and your like for him."

Wrong.

I'll tell you wear the disconnect is.

Some people up here think if you don't agree with Shanahan's approach and their line of thought, then you're "galactically stupid". Some people think whatever they fling from Ashburn they're suppose to scoop up with a big ass net, and what they let drop to the floor, sniff and then lap up.

Others think that while they may very well be on point with every decision they've made so far, no one is perfect, and anyone and anything can be, and at times, deserve questioning.

There is your disconnect.

It's the "My and the coaches opinion is all that is holy and those who don't agree 'eat a dick'" crowd that's pissed me off.

Posted by: RedDMV | May 5, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

@Debaitor [ie: troll] You just put yourself on that list. ITA unless you cut it out.

@cL - really? I thot the whole point of Mike was to set it up for Kyle. I want a strong foundation so we can be competative for a long time. I don't need wins early.

@etrod NONSENSICAL COMMERCIAL ... is better than "we like the subs" even.
can't.
stop.
snickering.

Posted by: DikShuttle | May 5, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

"But if the FO and coaching staff thought Marko was dead weight as far as helping this team this year, then so be it.

Posted by: TWISI"

I never said anything against 'so be it.' Nobody here is shedding tears or professing the collapse of the Redskins because of this.

But just because the FO and coaching staff thought Marko was "dead weight as far as helping the team this year," that (1) doesn't make them correct, and (2) opens up the philosophical argument between winning now and preparing for the future. And on both accounts, I stand opposite the FO and coaching staff on this issue.

Obviously, we're simply going to have to disagree on the idea of what constitutes an opportunity to succeed. One 3-day, voluntary introductory minicamp to something as complex as an NFL scheme and playbook is nowhere even close to a realistic opportunity to show that you can operate successfully. It's not even close. One month wouldn't be enough time. If any of the rookies got cut prior to training camp, it wouldn't be enough time. If Terence Austen were to get cut on Tuesday, it would be a bad draft pick AND a mistake on the FO/coaching staff for not allowing enough of an opportunity for a prospect to get settled into the NFL under their tutelage.

So again, Mitchell was not given the opportunity to succeed under this regime, for whatever factors Shanahan reasoned.

Posted by: psps23 | May 5, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Sellers needs to revert back to H BAck....

Posted by: 4thFloor | May 5, 2010 10:16 AM

Sellers needs to revert back to looking for a job, we have a rookie on the roster that can play H-Back, tight end and receiver, 4thFloor, his name is Dennis Morris, popularly known as D-Mo.

Posted by: abxinc | May 5, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"Who didn't know the Times Square bomber would turn out to be a Muslim?"

I didn't, I thought it would turn out to be some home grown McVeigh type. Good thing the d bag couldn't blow up a baloon at a birthday party.

Posted by: wireman65 | May 5, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they cut Mitchell because he doesn't play special teams. Pretty hard to make a roster as a 4th or 5th receiver if you can't contribute on special teams.

Posted by: smm4c2000 | May 5, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Clark, the former Penn State
____
Well Clark better impress them in CATCHING the ball because he won't make it as a QB on this team... Colt will blow him away in camp...

Posted by: sovine08 | May 5, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Guarantee the D.Clark Wagon forms as soon as the Colt axe drops. Nothing like being more pumped up about our pineriders than our starters.

Posted by: ScoGrass | May 5, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

The more likely scenario is D Clark catching on as he's more versitile.
Posted by: MistaMoe
____
D Clark better be versitile because the only way he makes this team is as a receiver.. Randle El type. I agree about next year in Shanahan will draft a QB unless Colt blows him away. And he has to stay healthy... problem for next year is if the Skins improve their record, which we expect, the best pickings might be already picked...

Posted by: sovine08 | May 5, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Would be nice for the Redskin Insider to use this spring time to cut some old bloggers and upgrade by signing a few intelligent ones.

The old and bitter bloggers, the ones with the mental acumen of grapefruit (yes that includes YOU) could be released without significant cost to the blog. We can rebuild the blog by drafting actual university graduates, mind you.......

Posted by: Peaceful2009 | May 5, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

c. brennan= white hope" weakling,slow, can't take a hit injured severely in pre-season game by 3rd and 4th stringers some who did not make an nfl roster,mediocre arm and no running skills,throws off of his back foot for some reason,in bowl game he played in against major competition he pizzed in his pants and hid in the fetal position,overwhelmed..have seen a few of d. clark's games at penn state past couple of years built similar to mcnabb, strong arm, good runner CAN take a hit should have been drafted 4-6th rounds.

Posted by: wathu19 | May 5, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

When you say you root for the team and not the player, you are taking away the very essence of why we enjoy the game. If we didn't know the personal history of the player we could not form a bond. Most of us bond with the players, and then bond with the team, and continue to stay with the team long after the player is gone. The characters that have been on the Skins roster over the years, is what we identify with. Thats why we want to know the why behind decision making. We want to know our favorite players are treated well while they are here and how and why they leave. Coaches come in and change things on a wholesale basis, and when they change our favorite players we sometimes protest. Doughty played his butt off last year and hit everything that moved. I'd like to see him stick. He's a compelling story.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | May 5, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

wathu19- you are a racist, now i dont like clark because the first time his name is brought to my attention, it is from a racist.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | May 5, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

..d. clark ... should have been drafted 4-6th rounds.
Posted by: wathu19
-------------------------
How can you say THAT? In fact, he wasn't seen as draft-worthy by all 32 teams, not even a lowly 7th rounder. Sorry, but your personal valuation blows, according to the people who get paid to do it. And it isn't like he played at Podunk U either. He was watched closely by all.

Posted by: shanks1 | May 6, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

The thing that the fans DO NOT see, is how each player performs day after day in practice. We do not know their football IQ. as it is so popularly called.
we do not see how many times a guy screws up, whether he is in great shape, can he remember the plays, decision making.....
We know the receiving corps has had a lot of problems..so if Mitchell was impressing, I think he would have been playing more.

I`ll take bets that Rogers will not be on this team come training camp. They are bringing in a lot of line backers..so Rocky may not be in their plans either. If they can find one D back out of all the undrafted players they are bringing in..it will be worth it. None of the current
D backs can play tight man coverage..and the league knows..just use a double move..when they need a big play.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | May 6, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

People actually care if Colt Brennan gets cut?

I didn't know he had a strong grassroots base.

Posted by: Rex91 | May 6, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I watched a lot of Penn State games over the past few years and Daryll Clark is a tough hombre. I think that he just might have the intangibles that make a good pro quarterback. He showed a lot of leadership during his Penn State career.

Posted by: jefeweiss | May 6, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Tony Nelson, RB, UMass is the guy to look out for. He's about 5'10", 210 lbs. and ran a 4.47 40 at his pro day. Not to mention he's a tough runner who put up nice numbers his last two years in the toughest conference in division 1-AA. Watch for him to outwork someone for a training camp spot and ultimately a spot on the 53-man roster or practice squad at the very least.

Posted by: BostonGuy1 | May 6, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse