Missing An Old Friend

It's impossible to drive up to Philly for hockey games and not think of my old friend Dave Fay, who passed away after a long and valiant battle with cancer a year ago. Dave was a mentor to me and for five years on the Caps beat - Dave with the Times and me with the Post - we carpooled all over to games - New York, New Jersey, Philly, Carolina a time or two.

Being on 95 at 1 a.m. brings back vivid memories of our 3-hour conversations about hockey and journalism and politics and, more than anything else, life. Dave was as candid as can be, always hoping I would learn from his mistakes, imparting wisdom about what it meant to be a father and a husband while he chugged black coffee and I downed Mountain Dew.

No one would have been more excited by the Caps' rebirth, and after spending most of his professional life covering Patrick Division hockey, seeing the Caps and Flyers meet like old times would have brought a smile to his face. Seeing the Caps playing to a full house, relevant again in the city and brimming with hope, would have done the same.

And, after getting a speeding ticket Tuesday night - $400!!! Ouch! - I couldn't help but think that my pal would have known every speed trap on 95. He was a throwback and a character and the hockey world misses him very much.

Randoms: Parked next to a bright orange Camaro in the lot here - seriously - with the radio on blaring Iron Butterfly, all the windows down and two dudes in Flyers jerseys sitting on the trunk pounding beer. I've long wondered why I never heard "Brohymn" by Pennywise before at a sporting event (it's somewhat obscure, but I figured someone in pro sports would have stumbled onto it). It's an all-time great terrace anthem with a chorus that's made to be blared on speakers after a big play. In fact, I opined on this fact. ... Mike Wise needs a bodyguard. There are signs referring to his column from the other night. It seems he made a crack about some of the people here looking like they could handle security for Megadeth, and the signs the Flyers are handing out have the Megadeth insignia on them (guess Dave Mustaine is a Flyers fan). The Flyers are putting snippets of Iron Mike's column, which poked a little fun at Flyers fans in general, on the scoreboard as well. Philadelphia reporters continue to flock to our side of the press box looking to interview Wise (he's still eating downstairs, and knowing his appetite, he might be down there a while).

By Jason La Canfora  |  April 17, 2008; 6:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Positional Review - WR/TE
Next: Positional Review - O Line

Comments

Hockey... uhhgg.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Welcome to the Hockey insider... formally know as the Redskins Insider. We can't provide Redskins insider info anymore because we are now outsiders at Redskins Park and their Lawyers are mad at us. But as a substitute, we will provide you with all the Hockey coverage you can stomach.

What's that, your not a Hockey fan? Well, tough its my blog...

Please can someone get us some real insider info... draft is only a little over a week away... BLAH!

Posted by: Toady | April 17, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Alright, this blog has made me too negative, not posting here anymore. I apologize for helping to spread negativity. Peace.

Go Skins!

Posted by: Toady | April 17, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Jason, if you're driving over 70, you're going too fast. Slow down! We can't afford to loose you here.

Posted by: Harvey Winkerbean | April 17, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Keep up the good work Wise! Maybe you and JLa can introduce Philly fans to the 90's!

Posted by: moralesjb | April 17, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Cindy, can you all send JLC back to cover hockey? He hates the Skins and disses them if he says anything about them at all. And then goes on and on and on about HOCKEY on the Skins blog.

We want Jason Reid!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

If you're only going 70 on I95, you better be somebody's great great grandmama.

GO CAPS!

Posted by: SMACK | April 17, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh good god. Put Kolzig in already. Huet is a pooset.

Posted by: SMACK | April 17, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the empathy evinced in some of the comments on this thread, which was a memorial to a friend.

All class up here!

- Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Nice, Huet's given up 14 goals in 13 periods? Solid.

He should have a big thermometer measuring how much money for his next contract he's losing by coming up so small in the playoffs. What's the opposite of standing on your head?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 7:56 PM | Report abuse

nate, why don't you put your name in the "name" box anymore?

Posted by: just wondering | April 17, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Jasno, That was a beautiful post about Fay.

Nothing but class from you. Job well done.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | April 17, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

its official, some people suck up here...dude writes an ode to dead friend, and some funny stuff about Wise and how tard Philly fans are ....after multiple Redskins post the last few days and you dueche bags cant refrain from complaining

F U

Posted by: chris Larry | April 17, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Harvey Winkerbean | April 17, 2008 6:46 PM

Harvey! I've been trying to track you down for years!

Posted by: Funky Winkerbean | April 17, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Does CL still like doughnuts and big bite hot dogs?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

um...who doesn't?

Posted by: chris larry | April 17, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

The committee will now vote. All for Jason Ried running the blog and sending JLC to cover the Caps, say I.

I

Posted by: Zoro | April 17, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins Insider - All Class, All of the Time!"

The committee has designated this to be the newest blog slogan.

Congratulations!

Posted by: Awards Committee | April 17, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

nate, why don't you put your name in the "name" box anymore?

Posted by: just wondering | April 17, 2008 7:57 PM

Nate has been thinking "outside the box" lately.

Posted by: The RI Observer | April 17, 2008 8:25 PM | Report abuse

All who wish we could constantly critique Zoro's job using anon goofy handles in public forum

AYE

Posted by: chris larry | April 17, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

does CL still like cheesesteaks and the big mac

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

again....who doesn't????

Posted by: chrIS larry | April 17, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

good point

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Is hockey the game with the piece of rubber being slapped around all night? Or is that a drunk Friday night with someone you'll never see again?

Ah, screw it...I'm going back to annoy people on The Fix. Wake me up during the draft...

Posted by: P Diddy | April 17, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

multiple Redskins post the last few days

Posted by: chris Larry | April 17, 2008 8:07 PM

Old CL confused again. We're not making this stuff up. Look at the top of the page: two football posts, two hockey posts. And go back over the posts since he's been back from his vacation -- pretty heavy dose of non-football stuff, and Snyder/Cerrato hate. Jasno's not in it.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

multiple Redskins post the last few days

Posted by: chris Larry | April 17, 2008 8:07 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

so stupid your posting it twice

Posted by: chris larry | April 17, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: P Diddy | April 17, 2008 8:51 PM

This sounds too much like Groundhog Day. Diddy wakes up, sees his shadow, then goes back into hibernation and we have eight more days until the draft.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

so stupid your posting it twice

Posted by: chris larry | April 17, 2008 9:01 PM

That's because we have to explain things to you at least twice before you begin to understand. In this case, I think I should have posted it at least four times.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Yo CL. Not all philly fans are dix. I root for the 3 outside the only sport that really matters which is my reason for being on here. But yeah there is a bunch of WT. The orange camaro thing cracked me up. Fly boys better hook it up here in the 3rd.

I complain about Jasno plenty but bithcing about this post is straight up lame.

Posted by: cdubb | April 17, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

thats what she said

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Hockey... uuhhgg.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Touching post Jasno, very touching. but i have to say...

Hockey... uuhhgg.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 9:30 PM | Report abuse

anon hater p*ssies...uuhhgg.

Posted by: chris larry | April 17, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I've never met a more hockey-averse group of cupcakes this side of Oprah's book club.

This is a great game. Go Caps!

Bulslhti power play here.

Posted by: SMACK | April 17, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

agreed smack....whining panty wastes...the lot of them

Posted by: chris larry | April 17, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

SMACK, CL

You are two pathetic clowns. Can't find the Caps blog, so you're up here on the Redskins blog trying to start a hockey conversation. How lame is that? And when no one joins you, you start whining about the football fans?

For that, you win the Whiners Award of the Day.

Posted by: Awards Committee | April 17, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Got to give credit where credit is due. Interesting article by Reid and JLC on of the key cogs in the Redskins front office. Also sorry to hear about your friend JLC.

Posted by: RedskinsInsiderVendetta | April 17, 2008 9:52 PM | Report abuse

BTW, WPs stupid advertisement covered up the first 2 paragraphs so I didn't see the part to his friend only the hockey part.

Still there is a place for hockey talk right and a place for redskin talk.... going somewhere else for news...

Good luck all its been fun blogging here the last year or so!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, you all can call me names all you want...but this is a REDSKINS blog. While it's ok to occasionally talk about other sports (I admit to the occasional Wizards comment) I'm sure there is a CAPS blog. Why not chat about hockey there?

Posted by: Lisa | April 17, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

I accept my award with pride, and Free Tibet, or Nepal, or whatever.

There are probably a bunch of fn idiots on the Caps blog arguing about what to do in the 2014 NHL draft. So I'd rather hang out here with at least one sane person.

Posted by: SMACK | April 17, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

F the awards committee...the SS of the conversation police no doubt

Posted by: chris larry | April 17, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, I am on that...no ones forcing hockey talk just defendin Janso for posting what he wants on ya know his blog...

I never said siht to you with your relatively frequent Wizards crap

And I am posting on the Caps blog....which is actually more fun, and friendly

Posted by: chris larry | April 17, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

this is one rigid azz bunch man....

Posted by: chris larry | April 17, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Chris Larry, I have not made "frequent" comments about the Wizards - in fact the only time I have mentioned them is when another blogger asked me about them first.

I go to the Wizards blog for Wizards chat...even though it is permeated by this SICK dude who calls himself "DCMan88" - he is VILE - makes Boofer look like Jesus.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Rigid is an understatement. What was it that sunk the Titanic? Faulty rivets?

It's as if one line of conversation precluded all others. It's just blogging, people. So simple even a caveman or half idiot cowboy fan could do it.

Posted by: SMACK | April 17, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey Lisa, how are the Wiz doing?? :)

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm avoiding the "name" box while registration is turned off (just a few more weeks to go! blecch) to hopefully keep from provoking the one dude who is fixated on me and likes to attribute comments to my nickname. I don't know what I've done to become the focus of that dude's malevolent energy, but the blog doesn't need the negativity he brings. So I'm either posting with no name at all or just signing my name right here like this. Whatevs...

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 17, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I used to jump in on the "not _____" phase before the registration period, but I'm not going to do it anymore.

Posted by: not TDawg | April 17, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Here you go football junkies. More CJ aka malcontent nonsense.

Houshmandzadeh anticipates 'problem' if Johnson not dealt
ESPN.com news services

Updated: April 17, 2008, 10:22 PM ET

Wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said Thursday the poor relationship between the Cincinnati Bengals and disgruntled receiver Chad Johnson could pose problems for the team.

"It he's not traded, it's going to be a problem," Houshmandzadeh told ESPN's Bob Holtzman.

Houshmandzadeh told ESPN he talked with both Johnson and quarterback Carson Palmer on Wednesday after Johnson demanded to be traded by Cincinnati.

Houshmandzadeh said Johnson told him he wasn't playing. But Houshmandzadeh said: "I think he'll eventually show up, but then you have to worry about how much of a distraction he'll be," Houshmandzadeh told ESPN.

Johnson said Wednesday that he wants out of Cincinnati as fast as possible and he doesn't plan on reporting for any future Bengals functions -- mandatory or voluntary.

What spurred Johnson's immediate reaction was a statement made by Palmer that indicated Johnson had told the quarterback he would be at the team's mandatory minicamp in mid-June. Johnson said that wasn't true.

"I want to make this very clear,'' Johnson told ESPN.com's John Clayton on Wednesday. "I don't know where he got that. I made no assertion to Carson that I would do that. Nothing has changed from what I've been saying for three months that I don't want to play for the Bengals.''

Johnson made one of his strongest statements in saying he is not planning on reporting to any team functions because he wants to be traded.

"I want to be traded before the draft, and if that doesn't happen, I want to be traded as soon as possible,'' Johnson told ESPN.com. "I don't intend on reporting to anything.''

Houshmandzadeh told ESPN that Johnson spent most of the past few months not returning Palmer's phone calls. Houshmandzadeh said Palmer and Johnson have talked a few times recently.

Houshmandzadeh, who said he's talked to Johnson more this offseason than ever, revealed to ESPN that Johnson started talking about wanting out of Cincinnati during last season.

He said the Bengals are in a no-win situation.

"If we keep him and don't win, he'll tell everyone 'I told you so,'" Houshmandzadeh said.

Information from ESPN's Bob Holtzman and ESPN.com's John Clayton was used in this report.

Posted by: cdubb | April 17, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

If it goes 'til midnight we get tomorrow off and a 9-topping pizza, right?

Posted by: SMACK | April 17, 2008 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow. F CJ

Posted by: FCJ | April 17, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see ESPN's On The Clock show tonight? I think not since you are all watching hockey.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting.....Todd McShay predicts the Skins will select a WR at #21.....Mel Kiper predicts we will trade #21 for more picks and if we do not will try for Rogers-Cromartie. Mel actually praised Vinny Cerrato - said Vinny is excellent at drafting players.

Posted by: Lisa | April 17, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | April 17, 2008 10:57 PM

It's because he was the director of college scouting for the 49ers in 1994, the season San Francisco last won a Super Bowl

Posted by: RIV | April 17, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Jason, ignore the abuse -- anyone who puts faith in mock drafts should themselves be mocked, since 95% are wrong anyway (and the 5% correct are lucky guesses). It was good to hear about your trip, and about Dave Fay as well.

Posted by: OrderedChaos | April 18, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

F the Flyers. Ugh.

Anyway, Lisa, you didn't answer my question. Do you think the Wiz can take the Cavs this time?

-Nate in the PDX

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Love the Mike Wise storyline, hope that turned out better than the game tonight.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Jason: Always appreciated your punk/indie references in RI. Anyway, I've been out in San Diego for awhile, and trust me, there is no shortage of "Bro Hymn" or other SoCal Epi-Fat bands and anything Social D out here.
At tailgates, sports bars, other sporting events...people out here know "Bro Hymn" like people in D.C. know "HTR". One Love.

Posted by: Dead City Native | April 18, 2008 1:56 AM | Report abuse

The newest Mock Draft madness. Calais Campbell disappears and a new choice appears.

Posted by: Bug . . . James Bug | April 18, 2008 2:43 AM | Report abuse

The Rooster comes out in favor of a restricted salary scale for rookie contracts.

"The NBA faced a near-crisis in the mid-1990's when top rookie contracts spiraled out of control, similar to what the NFL is beginning to face these days. The current system in place in the NBA, which allows for shorter contracts with team options, could easily translate to success in the NFL. High draft picks would still be paid relatively well on their initial contracts and would have an increased likelihood of negotiating a lucrative extension or second contract earlier in their careers. The owners would feel like they were less exposed and more of the cap dollars would go where they should: to the veteran players that have earned it."

Posted by: Bug . . . | April 18, 2008 2:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bug . . . | April 18, 2008 2:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bug . . . | April 18, 2008 3:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bug . . . | April 18, 2008 5:13 AM | Report abuse

Nate, to answer your question, I think the Wiz will lose the series again. Even though I think we have great talent (when healthy), Deshawn Stevenson and Gil have riled up Lebron by talking a bit of trash. Just wish they had kept their mouths shut. You know me and my crazy "jinx complex." :) Plus, the NBA wants the Cavs to win so Stern has put the word out.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

This is becoming a GREAT Caps Insider 2. Thanks for the occasional Caps snippet my man!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 18, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hey everyone! I came to Jason's blog to read about the Caps! I didn't realize there were any Skins fans left?!
WAKE UP!!!

Posted by: Jonny | April 18, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOUR FRIEND DIED FROM CANCER HAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Toobis | April 28, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh Mike, I absolutely love the underhanded slight at the end of your somewhat veiled blog reportage (veiled because it appeared in this lower=than=your=standard forum). Ah there it is, I've given you an underhanded compliment, though it is not quite worthy of the levels of exacting satire that you so eloquently divulged during the Flyers Caps series. I must admit that what saddens me most is not your tone, or your unabashed insensitivity, or your demanding of unnecessary and largely irrelevant self=referential attention. What saddens me is not your capitalization on a series that was going largely ignored in media circles (blame ESPN for this, after all, since the strike they have abandoned virtually all hockey coverage since they turned to NCAA basketball, NBA basketball and NASCAR, to fill the void), a capitalization on a silent forum. What saddens me is not that you start a fight without any just provocation (boredom perhaps? stress?too much time?). What saddens me is not that you are painfully obvious in wanting this reaction. What saddens me is not any of this. What saddens me is, you guessed, you're right about just about everything you say. The Megadeath statement, well that aside (and some of your inadequate hockey knowledge as well), almost all that you said was utterly, refreshingly, down right satirical. The key to the satire was its precision. I understand and relish in the detail that you employ to this end. Unfortunately, when you start a fight like this, you must seek to prepare for the immediate retaliation of your foe. The Flyers and their fans will of course take offense to your offensive remark (after all, the Megadeath comment was just flat out classist), because everything you said prior to it was ramping them up to respond actively to it. Your detail was fabulous and the writing was vibrant, though I suspect written under some oreboding spell or journalist mood of deadline frustration. Or perhaps you had more time to write this article than normal, a full day perhaps (there is usually at least one off day between every playoff game). Either way, it's clear that some creative impulse, be it time, stress, or too much time and not enough stress, enabled you to strike a startling satirical chord among your readers and naturally, your Philadelphian foes. I applaud your effort and only regret that you made your minor Megadeath disaster (I can't stress enough how amazed I am that you actually carry such sway as a journalist to get away with this, that is, not be fired for your undeniably classist, satirical Megadeath reference)...you must actually retain some say at the Post. I must say, some insensitivity is unavoidable, but c'mon Mike, this was egregious. Though I must admit, I never would have known your name had you not made the slip up. So hmmm, what does this say about the nature of our business? Well it says, if nothing else, that you've gotten the hang of it. Congrats Mike, you're on the top of your game. Let's see how long you can stay in the center of the art museum steps, a surprising gem of a purportedly literary sports columnist. God forbid you get offset from your new found perch some day like Bob Ryan recently did, it's tough to get centered again. Your Megadeath comment is loaded, but nevertheless, one step below the thin line, the ever=tenuous boundary that separates your payraise from your resignation letter. Don't step out of bounds any further Mike, it will probably cost you your job. And I for one couldn't stand for this, because higher journalism like yours deserves a place on everyman's coffee table and indeed, a spot on the bit of skin atop my father's bare and prickly thighs to serve as a delightful surface for the sweltering toilet=top reading of Mike Wise's latest lament during early morning sessions in America's next best reading room, the water closet, the bathroom. Don't stop stinking up my reading room Mike, I just couldn't breathe right without you.

Posted by: Ryan Mitchell | April 29, 2008 4:08 AM | Report abuse