Posted at 2:30 PM ET, 11/29/2010

Mistake let Favre seal the deal Sunday

By Barry Svrluga

The play that sealed the Redskins' 17-13 loss to Minnesota on Sunday was perhaps the most surprising of the day: Brett Favre, the Vikings' 41-year-old quarterback, rolling to his right on third-and-8 and then running for a first down. With the Redskins out of timeouts and less than two minutes remaining, the Vikings needed only to kneel down four straight times to salt away the victory.

The play might not have been successful, though, had either Redskins outside linebacker Lorenzo Alexander or strong safety Reed Doughty run toward Favre rather than head toward fullback Jim Kleinsasser, who was in the flat.

"We just [had a] miscommunication, two guys going to the same guy," Alexander said. "On that, I was supposed to be in coverage. I think Reed had the [third] receiver. Favre wasn't his guy, either. Favre just made a great play, and we weren't able to rally to him."

The 10-yard run was Favre's longest since a 27-yard run against Buffalo on Dec. 14, 2008, when he was playing for the New York Jets. Favre has had only four runs of 10 yards or longer since 2005.

Alexander, who missed most of last week's game against Tennessee with a pulled hamstring, said the injury did not impact him on the play.

"I think the first couple of series I was out there, I was kind of feeling around, just because I didn't want to pull it again," Alexander said. "But once I ran to the ball on one play and made a play I felt, 'OK, I'm good.' After that I kind of let go mentally and just started playing.

By Barry Svrluga  | November 29, 2010; 2:30 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Texans-Titans fight gets Redskins' attention
Next: Mike Shanahan not sure who will start at RB

Comments

Last year it was Delhomme running through DeAngelo Hall to end it. This year its Favre galloping for a first down to close it out. Who's on deck next year?

Posted by: saltine182 | November 29, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@ saltine....

Probably John Kitna "Dump Trucking" Haynesworth to pick up a late 1st down ala the 2 you mention above.

Posted by: WaitingGuilty | November 29, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

p1, co-sign on the Andre Johnson props. When someone who regularly keep their cool like Andre Johnson, goes spas mode, then it's usually the other person that provoked him.

The bama Finnegan is an asshat. Extremely overrated. Obvious that he has to resort to the grab-ass-ticky-tacky to mask his skills, or lack thereof.

There some players that you know other players will privately applaud on the day they're carted off the field. Ol' Corky is definitely one.

Also, you mentioned Rodney Harrison - did you see on Football Night In America where he dogged Finnegan for his dirty play? Got me the thinking about how he was the ALL-TIME LEADER IN FINES in the NFL for his head-hunting cheap shot tactics. I guess sitting behind a desk with the cameras rolling you can be re-born.

Just like Matt Millen.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 29, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I hate Rodney Harrison, and I don't throw around "hate" lightly.

He's a cheating HGH-eating cheap-shot artist who deserves to be dragged into an alley and have his hands broken for all the dirty injuries he put on other guys.

Posted by: p1funk | November 29, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

let's not kid ourselves into thinking this play is where we lost the game. they had driven all the way down the field, chewing up 6+ minutes of clock. we lost the game long before this play.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | November 29, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

This play was UFB..

3rd and 8 with 2:20 on the clock and already in FG range. A FG continues the game and a 1st down ended it. Everybody but the Redskins D knew the play action was coming and for the 20th time on the day the D fell for it. This WITHOUT AP and a rookie whose longest run of the day was 6 YDs.

On that play I blame Carriker, Doughty and LoA (who had a terrible game).

People can make their wish lists for the draft but we can't afford the luxury picks of a QB, RB, WR. We have the worst OL and DL in the league. There is one legitimate starter on both units and he was our 4th overall pick last year.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 29, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

agreed on the loathing of RHarrison, fraud that he is....

walter, agreed, I put this on the offense, which ONCE AGAIN, was beyond inenpt...the defense held Minny to 17 points...offense is just pathetic...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 29, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Time to get it together and run the table ala 2005.

Start Montgomery at center, Heyer at RG.

More Brandon Banks on any kind of play, wildcat, screen, deep pass etc...

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 29, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

On the OL, I was advocating we trade (and it would have been expensive) for M Pouncey, the now the C for Pittsburgh. Rather have gotten him than McNabb.

One of the things that is toughest to do in the NFL is replace people at a high rate. A team has roughly 30 key guys. If you are turning guys over every 3-4 years, it means you need to replace 7-10 key guys per year -- its almost impossible to sustain that.

One of the criticisms on Art Monk was that he got his numbers because of longevity. To me that isn't a valid criticism. Why? Because his longevity meant the Skins had 1 WR slot they didn't need to worry about for 12 years. Solve a problem for 12 years? Yes!!! Darrell Green meant there was 1 CB slot they didn't need to worry about for (gasp) nearly 20 years!! The Hogs were the same way. There was turnover, but on average, 1 guy got replaced every other year. Much easier replace 5 guys over 10 years than over 4 years.

Which is why I liked Pouncey for this team. At the C position, its problem solved for the next 10 years. Which is also why I like TW. Problem solved ... for a decade.

But reality is that this roster has very few of these long term "problem solved" spots. Shanahan had a chance to begin this approach of solving long term problems -- and he really didn't try do it. Only TW stands out as a 10 year solution among Shanny's first season in charge. And if you can't do that with a #4 overall pick ... you don't really deserve the job of making those decisions.

Truth is, another year of this sort of high player turnover leaves me feeling queasy ... in part because I'm not convinced that Shanahan is a capable personnel guy ... and I'm less convinced that he's a sharp a HC as I once believed.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 29, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

For Washington Redskins, questions at right guard.

No S! This was the weak link last year and instead of getting a guard they got a QB.

typical mgmt

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 29, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Personal_Fowl, you might be suprised to see many glaring problems fix themselves if the middle of the offensive line wasn't being hurled at the QB on a regular basis.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 29, 2010 2:36 PM |

You know the old axiom, "The best skill players in the league cannot help you if you cannot block long enough to get them the ball."

That includes RB's by the way.

Funny thing about that, the opposite is also true. So by your rationale, our QB will have all day to hit someone in the feet? There might be a hole big enough to drive a truck through but the RB will mysteriously trip over the blue LOS graphic? There will be a 'parting of the seas' effect enabling an accurate deep throw which is dropped by our best WR or TE who would be backups on top-tier teams?

Dude, I don't know much if you listen to the dooshes in here but I do know this. You build a team from the inside out, not the other way around. If you do the latter, your skill players will be about to go sign somewhere else by the time you shore up the OL. Also, the only measurable benefit you get from a 1st round C that you don't get from a 2nd or 3rd round C is an exponentially higher contract number to swallow.

I'm struggling to understand how you disagree with that.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Banks looks like he will be our return man for years to come.

If Heyer turns out to be a good guard, there is another problem solved.

I thought Montgomery looked really good at center, problem solved.

I want to see what Barnes can do playing a full game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 29, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

==========================================

I know one man gang is a fan favorite and all....but the statement is def from the Shanny Sr school of thought.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 29, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

If you don't like the team, or you don't want to support us, through the good or the bad, why come out to the games?

you got it D.bag never again just remember
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane
it takes a player to shoot a shot.. but it takes a team to win a game
You the one whow said once We didn’t lose.....we just ran out of time, but trust me "There's nothing wrong with being a loser, it just depends on how good you are at it." and last Constipated People Don't give a crap.

Posted by: suliman215 | November 29, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"only measurable benefit you get from a 1st round C that you don't get from a 2nd or 3rd round C is an exponentially higher contract number to swallow."

You also get your choice of any and all players at that position, unlike other skill positions.

To me its mind boggling that any fan of this team would draft anything other then O and D lineman in the early rounds. This temas a bust until we get the trenches fixed.

Posted by: Stu27 | November 29, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Banks looks like he will be our return man for years to come.

If Heyer turns out to be a good guard, there is another problem solved.

I thought Montgomery looked really good at center, problem solved.

I want to see what Barnes can do playing a full game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 29, 2010 3:02 PM |

Here, here! I wonder what round Montgomery was drafted in? Oh yeah, seventh. You know, when you're looking for big, strong, YOUNG O-linemen that can play, they do not have to be first or even second rounders. We have a solid LT that should be there for another decade or so. Augment the guys IH8 just mentioned with young pups next year and try to shake out the old fogies where you can and we'll be on our way.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Andre Johnson threw punches at a much smaller opponent.

My props go to Cortland Finnegan for standing up to the bigger dude and never throwing a punch.

AJ started it AND took it to far. Anyone siding with AJ is a punk IMO

Posted by: pabrian2003 | November 29, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm struggling to understand how you disagree with that.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 2:51 PM |

you're a moron, that's why

Posted by: hessone | November 29, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | November 29, 2010 3:05 PM |

....aaaaaaand boom goes the dynamite.

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 29, 2010 2:45 PM

Got to get at least 5 guys between both lines via draft or FA. The more the merrier but 5 younger more talented players are a must

Posted by: TWISI | November 29, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 2:52 PM

A good line can make a bad QB look effective (see Kerry Collins in Tennessee last year) and an average QB look great (see Sanchez this year ... not saying that he will always will be average, but they still have him on a rookie playbook). A bad offensive line makes a great QB make mistakes (see Colts this year).

Posted by: dcsween | November 29, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone | November 29, 2010 3:10 PM |

I just won lunch betting someone that you wouldn't be able to make it to 4pm without one of your dive ass efforts.

I know we can't see each other and really get a clue of each others personal level of intellect but I can tell this much:

You're warming the bench in the minors relative to the league in which I operate in and essentially have tenure.

Keep living your dive-ass life, posting your dive-ass efforts and earning me lunch which your dive ass probably delivers to my office personally. Thanks biotch!

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

From "shutdown corner"

Kubiak gave Johnson a game ball....

But though his team delighted in the fight with Finnegan, Johnson was apologetic about it after the game:

"I really don't have anything to say about Cortland. I would like to apologize to the organization, our owner, and my teammates. What happened out there today was not me. I just lost my cool and I wish that I could take back what happened, but I can't. It's over and done with now. I'm pretty sure that I'll be disciplined for it. When that time comes, I'll find out what it is and have to deal with it from there ... I hope that I'm not suspended for the next game."

That's a man's apology right there. No qualifiers, no "if I offended anyone" caveats: Johnson knew he was wrong, took responsibility for it and will accept his punishment without complaint. He'll doubtlessly be fined and will be hoping to avoid a suspension that would cause him to miss Thursday night's game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

I don't blame Johnson for fighting Finnegan. As I wrote in Sunday's post about the fight, Finnegan prides himself on dishonorable play and is a bully on the field. He instigated the fight and got the result he deserved. Everyone knows that, even the Titans.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 29, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Banks looks like he will be our return man for years to come.

If Heyer turns out to be a good guard, there is another problem solved.

I thought Montgomery looked really good at center, problem solved.

I want to see what Barnes can do playing a full game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 29, 2010 3:02 PM

Really? these are the "problem solved" guys? Heyer isn't starting at RG and Monty isn't starting at C.

Banks, yeah, gotta like him. Barnes? Really? Our #4 CB solves a problem?

Reality is that we have very few long term 'problem solved' positions. There might be guys on the current roster that do this, but I'm having a tough time coming up with more than a few names that I'm confident will be major contributors here past 3-4 years from now.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 29, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

This was probably the most pathetic play of the entire year, and there were plenty pathetic plays against the Eagles two weeks ago.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | November 29, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Banks, yeah, gotta like him. Barnes? Really? Our #4 CB solves a problem?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 29, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I go off of what I see, and what I saw was this:

Montgomery looked real good at center, while Heyer looked good at right guard.

These guys are still very young.

Barnes has not had the chance to play that much, but I'm hoping he can be good.

I like the homegrown talent.

So yes, I think we have a few "problem solved" guys on the squad.

We are yet to see Cook or Capers play, and I believe Capers was a projected top 5 tackle last year.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 29, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

MEDIOCRITY...either learn to love it or find another team!

Posted by: ZornInMySide | November 29, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

my favorite part of the fight was how Finnegan defended himself...oh no wait that didn't happen, he turtled, and tried to dig a hole to crawl into....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 29, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I go off of what I see, and what I saw was this:

Montgomery looked real good at center, while Heyer looked good at right guard.

These guys are still very young.

Barnes has not had the chance to play that much, but I'm hoping he can be good.

I like the homegrown talent.

So yes, I think we have a few "problem solved" guys on the squad.

Posted by: iH8dallas

You got amazing vision. Because when I saw Monty play, he didn't remind me of Jeff Bostic. And Heyer didn't remind me of Mark Schlereth.

Barnes doesn't even remind me of Martin Mayhew.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 29, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Brandon Banks looks like he will be our return man for years to come.

If Heyer turns out to be a good guard, there is another problem solved.

I thought Montgomery looked really good at center, problem solved.

I want to see what Barnes can do playing a full game.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 29, 2010 3:02 PM |

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 3:08 PM
*********************************************

you make great points about bbanks and heyer... btw, the skins did draft a center (cook who brothers play in the nfl also) and a young olineman (capers) this past draft...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 29, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 29, 2010 3:12 PM

Agreed. The interior is the weak link of the OL and our DL is complete garbage. Problem is that we need another OLB to pair with Orakpo and an ILB as well. Hopefully we can trade our top 12 pick and get a couple 2nds to speed up the process. Without a complete upgrade to both units we have no chance at a winning record.

The next year they can go after the luxury picks of a WR/RB/QB and continue to add depth to the OL & DL.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 29, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

So yes, I think we have a few "problem solved" guys on the squad.

Posted by: iH8dallas

Barnes doesn't even remind me of Martin Mayhew.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 29, 2010 3:39 PM |

Ahhhh, memory lane. Well, Clinton Portis does remind me of Mike Oliphant and CR22 does remind me of Barry Willburn (Will-Burnt)and when Byron Westbrook comes in, he even reminds me of a worse-tackling version of Adam Archiletta.

Who else? Graham Gano remind anyone of Chip Loh(and wide)miller? Devin Thomas or Malcom Kelly like a Michael Westbrook?

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Barnes doesn't even remind me of Martin Mayhew.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 29, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

That's not the point. What I saw was McNabb standing upright, with time, finding open receivers.

You can't compare Monty and Heyer to arguably the best offensive line in history.

Posted by: iH8dallas | November 29, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

yep and thats why the Redskins are a 5-6 team and why Im tired of giving my hard earned dollars to go see the game

Posted by: pquick6165 | November 29, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Personal_Fowl | November 29, 2010 3:18 PM |

learn to live with it son

Posted by: hessone | November 29, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

RB BEEPS--->

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 29, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Kubiak gave Johnson a game ball....

"I really don't have anything to say about Cortland."

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 29, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Classic. I love it.

Andre Johnson is on my list of all-time favorite WRs behind Gary Clark and Jerry Rice.

He doesn't need to say anything about Cortland, b/c he did his talking with those haymakers, and Cortland was notably left off his list of people he was "apologetic" towards.

Posted by: p1funk | November 29, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

So Lorenzo and Reed had "miscommunication." Hey Lorenzo how about the other 10 times they ran the bootleg and you bit on every one?

Posted by: rmcpks73 | November 29, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

We specialized in the exportation of sport shoes and other
products(clothing, bag,sunglasses,watches,belts,etc )which
have great enjoyed popularty in the world market Many of
our goods are on sales ,we can guarantee the crediblity by
Pay-pal and delivery time .we would like to make a long termship.

=(b..r..a..n..d.)s.h.o.e.s.(34u.s.d),

c.l.o.t.h.i.n.g,

,j.e.a.n,,h.a.n.d.b.a.g(35u.s.d),

,(f.r.e.e)s.h.i.p.p.i.n.g

Posted by: itkonlyyou407 | November 29, 2010 10:30 PM | Report abuse

On the play it looked like Doughty (poor talent level) and (Alexander) awful game, big slow poor excuse for a linebacker, were both "RUNNING AWAY" from Farve as he gained yards.

Now we find out...whoops, we both went to the flat! To cover the recevier. Game 11 and we don't know our assignments! Are we to beleive that after all those OTA's and 11 games, and watching film every day for hours at the Park, they still don't know the assignments? No. They ran away from Favre.

Posted by: DownTownClown | November 29, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse